Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 26, 2017 4:27 AM

Jun 2016
This was a great one. I really like the dynamic of Asuka and Shinji. Asuka is slowly becoming my favourite anyways.
I'm starting to miss Rei though. Where has she gone since her adorable smile?
Apr 26, 2017 7:35 AM

Dec 2015
@Dawnflame Based on the director's words, since he was done with her character after the Rei episodes... he forgot her.

edit @Dawnflame Well, at least, he is honest about it ! ^^

there were barely any "Rei episodes"

The Rei episodes are very easy to spot, even without considering their names (Rei I, Rei II, Rei III). There is also this poem segment in the middle of the show.
Despite what the creator said, I found the character's road quite good. I'm unsure what could have been made with her other than that without falling into "fan-gasm" territory (like the second Eva Shin).

@AkiKitazawa Because they like the energetic and "heroic" obnoxious ways of her fake persona.
PS: they usually dislike
December 11, 2017
f88888888 said:
9 episodes in and i don't like any of the characters on this show at all. is that the point?

No, just like it isn't the point of a fiction to make you like characters. It exists to tell a story or give a lesson/messgae.

December 6, 2018
@Martin_Taylor Rei is simply "devoted"/"removed" (an "anti-ME") enough to match Shinji's pace whereas Asuka is all about herself and searching conflict. At least, that's what I saw through the Twister.

"Fight went so Gundam" ? You have 2types of Gundam "fights": samurai duels-like encounters or laserbeam shows. (@CodeBlazeFate Did I forgot a type?)
Evangelion is betting on flashy fights as soon as it can (money money).

April 3, 2020
@reshisama Really, Rei as a character in conflict with someone, battling to prove her worth ?
I imagine Asuka was added to feature another type of character that could also serve as a source of conflict for Shinji.

July 14, 2020
maiawatchesanime said:
the teenage boy horniness is bleurgh.
I really couldn't care less about that, I wish it wasn't in the show.

Do you mean the "room thing"? THe episode doesn't focus heavily on it in my memories, it's just part of having a sudden "roommate", female moreover, while being awkward, hormonal, etc.
I don't like hormonal problems either but a minimum of it is required if the series wants to talk about a young boy with relationship problems (with everyone) in the middle of hs adolescence. Plus, the lightness of the scene prevents it to feel too heavy (zut, this choice of words makes it sound stupid).

I hope this won't make you run away. ^^

July 25, 2020
@d3vil_trigg3r I'm sorry, there must have been some misunderstanding somewhere along the road. This series will never venture into philosophical grounds. (I prefer to warn you, even though as a great admirer of this show I think it's a good watching experience)
Rei_IIIJul 25, 2020 3:12 AM
Apr 28, 2017 12:07 AM

Jun 2016
Rei366 said:
@Dawnflame Based on the director's words, since he was done with her character after the Rei episodes... he forgot her.

Wow. That's... lame. Also, there were barely any "Rei episodes".
Sep 6, 2017 1:22 PM

Nov 2016
Nice to get a more light hearted episode for a change.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 14, 2017 10:47 PM
Aug 2016
I felt irritated most of the episode, mainly because of Asuka. I really don't understand why she's so liked :/

@Rei366 I just can't understand how they can like a noisy bratty teenager acting up all the time.
Haven't seen NGE before so don't know yet in what way she'll change, but probably had a little glimpse of it already in ep10.
AkiKitazawaSep 17, 2017 12:25 AM
Oct 6, 2017 2:51 PM

May 2016
I'm starting to like Asuka more than before.
Oct 8, 2017 2:34 PM

Apr 2014
This was very energetic and positive. How odd.
Oct 14, 2017 12:04 AM

Nov 2016
Asuka is best girl as usual.
Oct 30, 2017 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
Such a funny episode to watch! I never thought that Evangelion has some funny moments.
Also, love the sequence at the end!

Oct 30, 2017 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
Such a funny episode to watch! I never thought that Evangelion has some funny moments.
Also, love the sequence at the end!

Dec 11, 2017 10:27 AM
Oct 2017
asuka is absolutely insufferable and i really badly wanted to skip this episode by the half way point.. and i wish i did. 9 episodes in and i don't like any of the characters on this show at all. is that the point?

surprised to find a positive reception to this episode but everyone has different taste in the end
Dec 11, 2017 12:38 PM
Oct 2017
Rei366 said:
f88888888 said:
9 episodes in and i don't like any of the characters on this show at all. is that the point?

No, just like it isn't the point of a fiction to make you like characters. It exists to tell a story or give a lesson/messgae.

very fair, just haven't been very interested in the story by this point is how i feel i suppose.

i'm a few more episodes in and considerably more interested now, though
Jan 21, 2018 12:46 PM

Apr 2015
"Two against one ain't a fair fight!" Jesus Christ, Asuka, do you have a death wish?

Shinji and Rei have actual chemistry, so the operation really should have been operated so they could synchronize together. Screw Asuka, she just sucks at Twister.

It looks like Misato's falling into her old boyfriend's charms again. That elevator scene was pretty hot.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 21, 2018 3:53 PM

Sep 2017
Man I'm really hating Asuka. NGE really didn't an obnoxious tsundere character. I don't hate that character type or anything. Nico is my favourite live life girl and I adore characters like Taiga and Azusa.

In NGE it's like the first 7 eps built up certain themes, and then all of a sudden you drop this tsundere on us and fighting the humanity threatening angels becomes some dumb joke with petty competition between pilots??
Feb 13, 2018 5:35 AM
Jan 2018
Edit: I gave this a 3 out of 5 at first and now I regret it. If I could change it I’d give this episode a 4 or a 5

I’ll be honest, at first I didn’t like this episode. But after going here and re-watching it with a new perspective, I can see the geniality of this show. I wanted this episode to be in the same style as eps 1-6 when instead, it decides to make it a comedy-based episode in order to balance it from the previous, much more serious episodes, it might be more evident here but it never feels invasive.
At first I absolutley hated Asuka (sorry I just did) but upon second viewing I realised that her character is supposed to be this pretencious, narc kind of character and it actually works quite well, clashing with Shinji’s character, and who knows maybe she’ll get more character development like most of the other characters. Speaking of Shinji, I was a bit upset at how casually he seems to ride the Eva-01 but that actually makes a lot of sence, he’s gotten over the times where he dreaded to pilot it from episodes 1-6 and he’s finally accepted that it’s his duty, great character evolution. He has changed from the previous episodes and now that I noticed it, I really appreciated it. I just generally appreciate the show for its constant evolution, adding new characters and plot points and constantly developing the lore and exposition, just gorgeous.
ValkyboyFeb 13, 2018 7:29 AM
Feb 17, 2018 3:38 AM

Mar 2016
This episode is hilariously epic! There are a lot of fun scenes like when Asuka's and Shinji's friends visited them while they're in a synchronization training. Even Rei is there! Then at night, a great fan service moment of Shinji almost kissing a sleeping Asuka. (experiencing nightmare about her mama?) At the end, the fruit of their practice is blooming as a nice battle topped with a good BG music.

Personally, I think as of this episode, Shinji's and Asuka's relationship are closer, mainly because of their hate/love attitude towards each other. (Hats off to Shinji for standing up to Asuka, a tsundere when she's angry at him)
Shinji's and Asuka's relationship are cute!
Mar 2, 2018 2:16 AM

Sep 2017
I hate Asuka. She is the worst type of tsundere and acts like she owns the place. I was real happy when Rei rejected her friendship and curbstomped her at the synchronisation twister. Shinji and Rei for the win!!

The musical fight scene was good. It was original .

I hate Asuna however. She blames Shinji for everything and acts like Shinji should be happy to date her. She is a gold digger, no matter where you look from.

BTW, Kaji is another pervert I hate. I definitely don't want him hooking up with Misato. I also hope Rei comes back into action with Shinji.

For the win!!

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 15, 2018 7:27 AM

Feb 2018
This episode was really cool :D
Poor Misato, seems like she got some boy issues, Kaji seems like top class a-hole.
The kiss scene was really sweet, and dancing battle and music awesome!
May 26, 2018 10:10 AM

Aug 2017
Funny episode.

Shinji and Asuka make an interesting duo. The synchronised fight is 10/10. Misato still loves Kaji. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 24, 2018 11:19 PM

Feb 2017
There were some cool shots combining Asuka and Shinji together on screen during the dance battle execution.
Sep 8, 2018 2:03 AM

Feb 2018
The best eps I've seen so far
Oct 29, 2018 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
Mixed bag for me. It abruptly changed the tone compared to the last 8 episodes which is frustating. However, we got to see some more natural character interactions.
Dec 5, 2018 12:17 PM

Aug 2016
This one was kinda... interesting episode. I would seriously like to know when Shinji and Rei became such good friends they are in sync. Also, yaaaay, I saw Rei after like... 3 episodes? I guess it was price to get Asuka spotlight after comming on scene only after 8 or so episodes, which most anime having their final arc.

But I don't really like this retro style tsundere? Also mecha fight went so gundam. I like more grounded auntetistic battles from mecha.

Also, what's with this anime sudden urge to keep Shinji in girly cloths?

Katsu-kun said:
This was very energetic and positive. How odd.

Ah, right, that was what felt so off about it.
Martin_TaylorDec 5, 2018 12:20 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2018 9:28 PM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
f88888888 said:

@Martin_Taylor Rei is simply "devoted"/"removed" (an "anti-ME") enough to match Shinji's pace whereas Asuka is all about herself and searching conflict. At least, that's what I saw through the Twister.

"Fight went so Gundam" ? You have 2types of Gundam "fights": samurai duels-like encounters or laserbeam shows. (@CodeBlazeFate Did I forgot a type?)
You forget the type that ends in asspulls lol
Dec 6, 2018 2:41 AM

Aug 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Rei366 said:

You forget the type that ends in asspulls lol

I am being really confused right now, I have to ask, why you answering me by editing year old commentary? That's kinda hard to follow.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2018 6:18 AM

Aug 2013
The ending was funny lol. Nice episode overall.

Jan 9, 2019 6:49 PM
Jan 2019
This episode is also one of the best of the sereis. All the preparation to the big fight, the struggles Asuka and Shinji faces trying to work together and how the can't interact well together. Also a good rivality between Rei and Asuka is triggered.
All the main characters can't really interact with each other but they are forced to, this buid a scenario where a lot of things go wrong and they need to fix them.

Tsundere Asuka confirmed.
Mar 16, 2019 4:54 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great episode!

Character interactions between Asuka and Ikari this episode was glorious! An almost-smooch moment there too to spice things up. Great to see how the went ahead and defeated the Angel there, but xD they were back at Square 1 by the end of it. Asuka totally exposed Ikari there too, xD. Lol @ the classmates’s moment of realisation and the matching clothes only made it worse. I’m really liking Asuka’s character so far, acting all tsundere-y despite that little outburst during her sleep.

Things sure heated up there for a moment between Misato and Kaji there in the elevator scene. I really hope Misato finds out the truth about Kaji before she’s too hurt and offended, don’t you dare Kaji lol. Little moment between Risuko and Kaji too and Misato’s glare there was hilarious!

I wonder when the depressing tone will hit back though, like those in the first few episodes. Ikari’s father has got Adam in his hands or whatever, I wonder what that’s all about.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 23, 2019 7:53 AM

May 2016
Asuka's shortsighted blunder brought upon a hilariously humiliating aftermath and an opportunity to get them to bond together as roommates and partners in the battlefield. Seeing Rei adjusting to Shinji's level for their dance steps to match made Asuka realize that she can't act like a princess forever if she wants to keep her job and the results were splendid.

That pretty awkward scene with a homesick sleepwalking Asuka and an almost opportunistic Shinji was almost as awkward as him seeing Rei naked and falling on her but at least he didn't go through with his moves this time around. Unlike the touchy Kaji with his ex-girlfriend...

It was unexpected to see robots gracefully dance in the wind to beat an enemy but it looked cool and that timer in the corner that was set in 62 minutes like what Shinji said was a nice touch.

May 16, 2019 10:14 AM
Apr 2016
Okay, no debates, Shinji x Asuka best ship. Well, the syncing practice was hilarious. The ending was great hahahha
May 31, 2019 6:38 PM

Dec 2018
Honestly this might be my favorite episode so far. Guess it helps that Asuka is one of my favorite characters from reading the manga lol.
Jul 5, 2019 5:26 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode!! Now that I remember. This is where Rei really starts to "disappear" in the series.

They're really going ally out with Shinji and Asuka. Well, we know that Rei still got a better treatment in Rebuild anyways. To make it for lost time in the series.

Seems Misato and Kaiji had a thing. Though it seems he also has some relationship with Ritsuko.

I can't wait to see how they were back then!

Jul 30, 2019 12:16 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This amazing episode is a prime example of how NGE is criminally underrated in this website (look at all the average and mediocre shows that have a higher score. It's facepalmworthy). Just the scene were they do the fight in 62 seconds literally trascends the medium. Art, animation, direction, choreography, music, editing...it's all there.
And the rest of the episode has plot, development galore and even comedy.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 5, 2019 7:43 AM

Oct 2012
That synchronization + the song is just great xD

I can't decide whether they're 仲良し (good friends) or not xD

Also Asuka was the one sleeping on Shinji's bed and she blamed him? :P
"Signature removed"
Nov 5, 2019 7:02 PM

Sep 2011
Great episode, it was really funny. Shinji and Asuka relationship is great, loved the discussion at the end, it was hilarious.

It's good to see Rei, she is a nice character, I would love to see more of her.
Dec 12, 2019 7:37 AM
Nov 2018
VoItlighter said:
Asuka and Shinji arguing at the end...

"I know you tried to kiss me while I slept!"
"You CHEAT! You were awake?!"
"My gosh I was just kidding, did you really kiss me!!!???"
-stammering-"uh no uh I didn't I stopped"
"PERVERT!"

LMAO, that was the funniest and best episode so far. And the way they practiced to synchronize their movements, thinking and their battle against those angels is awesome.
Asuka surely make things more exciting. And even her hologram managed to hit Shinji in the head, lmao. She's a big tsun now tho, I wonder if her character develop later. The kissing scene with that music on and the elevator scene are really great. UwU.. Misato-san ~

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Jan 6, 2020 9:47 PM

Sep 2017
This episode solidifies it; this show is primarily a comedy. Even the EVA/Angel fights are silly

Edit after finishing show: Definitely not primarily a comedy.
LordQuazJan 18, 2020 9:13 PM
Mar 28, 2020 1:54 PM

Jan 2014
LordQuaz said:
This episode solidifies it; this show is primarily a comedy. Even the EVA/Angel fights are silly

Edit after finishing show: Definitely not primarily a comedy.

I am definitely waiting the take off, cause right now It seems just decent, plot and character wise...

I wonder why the Angels attack everytime where the EVAs are.
What are the Angels?
Apr 3, 2020 2:07 AM
Aug 2013
I don't see how adding asuka was necessary when there was rei.. why couldn't the synchronized war happen with rei and shinji?
Apr 4, 2020 6:51 PM

Dec 2019
Lmaooo those moves when they were fighting the Angel, best episode by far, im really loving Asuka btw, this character was needed as a pilot well done.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 6, 2020 12:33 AM
Aug 2013
Rei_III said:

edit @Dawnflame Well, at least, he is honest about it ! ^^

there were barely any "Rei episodes"

The Rei episodes are very easy to spot, even without considering their names (Rei I, Rei II, Rei III). There is also this poem segment in the middle of the show.
Despite what the creator said, I found the character's road quite good. I'm unsure what could have been made with her other than that without falling into "fan-gasm" territory (like the second Eva Shin).

@AkiKitazawa Because they like the energetic and "heroic" obnoxious ways of her fake persona.
PS: they usually dislike

@reshisama Really, Rei as a character in conflict with someone, battling to prove her worth ?
I imagine Asuka was added to feature another type of character that could also serve as a source of conflict for Shinji.

thank you for the answer! I guess that makes sense, I should keep watching
Apr 7, 2020 7:07 PM

Apr 2016
I really liked the end-credits song. Some funky shit there. :D :D
Jul 12, 2020 2:15 PM

Feb 2020
the teenage boy horniness is bleurgh i really couldn't care less about that, i wish it wasn't in the show

but i like that the show doesn't ignore the fact that these are just kids in such dangerous situations and being made to pilot such advanced machinery, it's a different outlook

i don't like that kagi guy. he's a sleazebag and he also is involved in the shady shady business with gendo too so that's a double thumbs down in my book

still love misato the legend, she's great
Jul 12, 2020 2:53 PM

Dec 2010
The battle and music sequence being played in tune was genius. It also feels nice to see Shinji taking confidence in having more field experience than Asuka. Really amusing to watch him and Rei synchronise perfectly too, it's like Asuka has (rightfully so) being betrayed by her overconfidence and arrogance almost every single time.

I understand what people mean when they say that Rebuild cut all of the best moments, this is the perfect anime.

Jul 20, 2020 4:06 PM
Feb 2020
Still the best episode in the show. NGE was way better at the lighthearted comedy/action/MOTW stuff with shades of something deeper than the up-its-own-ass existential/zen stuff that creeped in at the end.
Sep 28, 2020 1:57 AM

Apr 2020
Dance Fighting ! lol

His guy classmates must hate him so much now XD
I want to know Asuka's past now. Glad that they are getting along now.
--AbiSa--
Oct 8, 2020 10:25 PM

Aug 2018
What a funny episode, Shinji is just getting more lucky by day, first he gets to touch Rei breast and now to sleep and live with Asuka
Oct 18, 2020 9:15 AM

Jun 2020
What an AMAZING episode. With Asuka’s arrival, everything was much more lively & uplifted, I think it reflected Shinji’s mental state as well. Their personalities really complemented each other well. They don’t necessarily get along but they make great EVA partners! Loved their interactions - I fail to understand how some can’t seem to see how Asuka plays such a huge role.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Oct 31, 2020 5:46 AM

Dec 2012
Asuka.
Dem girls changing. Nice oppai.
Toji and Kensuke making money.
Rei.
WTF! Kaji grabbing Ritsuko from behind.
Misato looking.
An Angel.
Dat split.
2 of them?
lol at how they got beat.
lol at Misato's paperwork.
lol at Misato doing the Gendo.
DHL. lol
Asuka is moving in?
Misato oppai in dat shirt.
lol at Shinji and Asuka wearing the same outfits and speaking in unison.
lol at them playing DDR.
lol at Shinji and Rei in sync.
lol at Shinji and Pen Pen holding in their pee.
Asuka oppai from that helicopter view.
Dat oppai hanging.
lol at Shinji pretending to sleep as soon as the door opened.
WTF! Asuka sleeping next to Shinji with the oppai in his face.
Shinji going in for the kiss.
Mama. Dem tears.
AYO! WTF! Kisama! Let go of Misato!
8 years ago?
Rematch.
At the buzzer!
Dat ending.

That was an amazing battle. I liked how the timer was in sync with the actual time. It really was 62 seconds. lol In previous episode(s) Shinji and Pen Pen have been shown to be in sync while eating. I need to see Shinji and Pen Pen team up.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 30, 2020 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
For the 1st-time-watchers: I know you're hating Asuka now at this right moment of the series, I really understand cause I felt the same when I was in your place, BUT, after I have complete the whole series as well as in this current moment I'm re-watching it again, I assure u that I'm having a completely different perspective and view about this character.... She's one of the most very well-made characters in a narrative that I've seen so far.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

190 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

216 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - Feb 6, 2008

198 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

270 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 12:29 PM

» Appropriate for Christians?

264354287 - Feb 4, 2015

18 by NoviSun »»
Jun 14, 2:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.