Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Jan 21, 2017 1:50 PM

Apr 2013
I am glad i watched this. Way to go Peco!
Akuma was a real bro. Smile and Kazama, nice to know this characters. Smile finally found his way thanks to his best friend. The guy who found his love for ping pong again was in Peco's match. Really nice detail.
Gonna give 8/10 but whatever. I really enjoyed the series and that's what matters most.
Jan 21, 2017 5:45 PM

Nov 2013
rockmandude said:
lihle808 said:
very unexpected outcome between tsukimoto and hoshino. I thought Smile was gonna take it but Peco managed to take it even with a bad knee. Peco managed to beat Kong and Kazama with a bad knee, now that was cool. Great anime except for visuals 9/10.

the outcome wasn't unexpected, smile let peco win so he could fulfill his dream

did you even watch the show? he didn't let him win, he targeted his knee and still lost. letting him win would go entirely against what the show was always building towards...
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 21, 2017 7:06 PM

Mar 2015
Sad said:
rockmandude said:

the outcome wasn't unexpected, smile let peco win so he could fulfill his dream

did you even watch the show? he didn't let him win, he targeted his knee and still lost. letting him win would go entirely against what the show was always building towards...

it seems like you didn't watch the show, smile would've easily won if he targeted his knee but he decided to lose on purpose and let peco fulfill his dream just like butterfly jo did in the past. if you didn't get that you should really pay more attention
Jan 21, 2017 7:17 PM

Nov 2013
rockmandude said:
Sad said:

it seems like you didn't watch the show, smile would've easily won if he targeted his knee but he decided to lose on purpose and let peco fulfill his dream just like butterfly jo did in the past. if you didn't get that you should really pay more attention

episode 11 - 08:35 onwards "Deep to the forehand, then switch to the backhand side.." and then he actually goes through with it whilst joe looks on in shock. Peco then returns the backhand and goes on to win the point anyway.

live in ignorance, and also on my blocked list. cheerio
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 28, 2017 4:26 AM
Apr 2009
This anime, from beginning to end was a masterpiece to me. Every single character had meaning, backstory (some just 10 seconds of) to just the way power, love, struggle, ambition, fun and ultimately happiness gets pictured, is amazing.

Things like the whole story and lesson of the anime coming full circle with the side-character that left table tennis who just felt like an unimportant throw-away character, going to the beach, mountains, abroad, and all back in the end to tennis.

Do whatever you love and you'll be happy, you'll win at living. Fame, money, recognition, validation are merely lessons but not the answer.

10/10
Jan 29, 2017 1:47 PM
Nov 2016
in the last lines of tsukimoto talking to kazama they said that the summer is coming and things will get exciting again, what does that mean?
Feb 5, 2017 9:35 PM

Oct 2012
Teacher eh? Well he's really good at calculating afterall
"Where did I go wrong?"
Well probably because you're not giving her love enough? xD

Peco and Kong still in competitive while others not

Simple and beautiful ending
"Signature removed"
Feb 16, 2017 5:17 AM

May 2015
Never cried so much at anything as much as I did when the children were singing: "Bokura wa Minna Ikiteiru". What a beautiful ending. 10/10. Masterpiece.
Mar 17, 2017 10:12 AM

May 2016
PPTA was very engaging, with interesting characters and a relatable story to follow. Though the art was not the best for me, I found it fitting the show well. I wish there more anime like this :)
May 6, 2017 6:07 AM

May 2016
Beach Guy has reached full circle in his pilgrimage to fit in. His starting point was the finish line all along.

Even at his best, Smile still couldn't defeat Peco with an injured knee. The fight was so intense that he finally saw the Hero in Peco, remembered that he is indeed human and smiled for the first time in ages.

We got to see a glimpse of obaba in her youth and damn she's cute. I'm glad to see there was no bad blood between Koizumi and Kazama.

Another timeskip but this time to ten years later I think. Some has improved their lives and others not so much but they're all happy anyway. Hearing the ED for the last time made me feel happy and empty inside. 9/10 β™‘

May 11, 2017 10:19 AM

Sep 2015
Well it definitely ended on a high note. Part of me thinks it's a cop out. To not depict an earnest battle of skill and will between Peco and Smile. And instead show them having fun. And reveal the results at the very end. It's a cop out favoring people who didn't want to see either of them lose. When as Smile learns in this series, someone has to lose before someone else can win. But it was so expertly handled I hardly feel cheated at all.

I loved the debatably overlong set up. Where we saw in full what we'd already pieced together from the fragmented flash backs. And Peco and Smile's match may not have been as brutal or as finite as it could have been. But the series has been hyping up them actually going head to head since Episode 1. And it didn't exactly disappoint either. And I liked the moment between all the old coaches which put a nice ending on their story.

After the dizzying emotional and visceral high of the match, the more reserved final scene packs an even greater punch. Smile chose to leave Ping Pong and become a teacher. An endearing but lazy one at that. Ryuichi got kicked off the Olympic team and is visiting Smile as a framing device for the epilogue. Still curious what he did, did I miss that? And Peco and Wong are the two who thrived the most in the world of Ping Pong. Ping Pong the Animation was a hell of a ride and a sports anime like no other. I felt a little sad when I saw Smile hurl away Peco's old racket from earlier in the series. But it's hard not to grin at a series this exciting, well crafted and just a genuinely all around positive viewing experience. I give it a 10/10 hands down my favorite sports anime I've seen.
Jul 29, 2017 3:57 AM

Dec 2016
A great ending to a great show! Truly amazing and a great watch!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 11, 2017 12:26 PM

Jun 2013
Now I completed my very first sports anime; fortunately it was a lot of fun. The uncoventional visuals didn't disappoint, and I even grew to like a few characters along the way. Koizumi, Tamura and Peco ended up being my favorites, which is not what I expected. It was an endearing coming of age story. I'll definitely return to the OST once in a while.

Yoshikawwa said:
in the last lines of tsukimoto talking to kazama they said that the summer is coming and things will get exciting again, what does that mean?

I think that's just a way to reassure the viewer that life goes on, and though most characters didn't reach success as professional ping pong players, their lives can still be exciting in the future. Or maybe it's just something people say, and it doesn't have any particular meaning.
LeeTailorOct 11, 2017 12:30 PM
Oct 27, 2017 5:36 PM

Apr 2015
"Blood tastes kind of like iron, isn't that cool?" "No you weirdo wtf"

Peco drawing Evangelion fan art on his test as a kid was a great little detail.

Interesting artistic choice not to show the end of the match, instead showing that Peco won through that picture. Smile decided to become a middle school teacher instead of a pro ping pong player...meanwhile Peco got his dream and continues to play professionally.

My favorite part about the show was probably the way you never really knew what to expect when it came to Peco and Smile's sort of journey of discovering themselves through ping pong. When Peco went through that phase where he gained weight and quit table tennis entirely, I was convinced that was the end of him. I also thought that the coaches were going to be able to push Smile into a table tennis career...at the end of the day, I guess that just wasn't his type of life.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 1, 2017 4:24 AM

Nov 2016
This is fully deserving of a 9/10. Going in between Toradora and Shigatsu as my 8th favourite show. The character development was simply staggering for just 11 episodes. The cast were all very interesting and had their own important part of the story. This is how a sports anime should be done.
Dec 9, 2017 2:41 PM

Sep 2016
I know that i am a bit late to the bandwagon but this show was near perfect. At first, i thought that the art style wouldn't be appealing at all but it really suits the story and after a while, it even starts looking pretty. The character development and the rivalries and relations between the characters were nothing short of flawless..
I am kinda sad that it ended.. But watching it was a treat..
Dec 31, 2017 9:18 PM

Feb 2017
Tokyo Anime Award wasn't wrong. Glad I watched this.
Jan 8, 2018 9:06 PM
Nov 2012
Just finished watching Ping Pong for the second time. I must say this has to be a perfect anime for me. From the art to the ost to the perfect character development. What a masterpiece
Jan 13, 2018 6:13 PM

Jul 2017
Wish there was more to this series but it was fantastic. Seeing them as adults after the tournament was cool, and seeing Peco in the Olympics and Smile teaching kids Ping Pong just warmed my heart.
Jan 20, 2018 10:36 AM

Aug 2017
Man... I feel really bad laughing retardedly when the first episode comes up and dropped it like a hot garbage years ago. Now I know how to appreciate things more. This is a masterpiece.

Forgive me, Yuasa.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Feb 1, 2018 5:21 AM

May 2014
A great way with the last ep. and end the series. I loved that they didn't show the whole match, but showed us a mix of Peco and Smile's childhood mixed with the fight. What I learned after the last ep. is that hero exist, humans can fly and that BLOOD TASTES LIKE IRON!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Just kidding, but seriously the way they did the match was just amazing. But it makes me wonder if Smile played rough against Peco throughout until the end or if it was just the part we saw. I don't think he let him win. I mean it makes sense that Peco win after all. Peco was Smile "coach" and taught him everything about Ping Pong.

It's amazing how much everyone had changed after the tournament. Smile was the one who surprised me most. I mean he gave up on becoming a world champion and only plays as a mediocre player, as he said himself. I never thought Smile and Kazama would be good friend. That's really something for itself. Looking at her last name, I guess he married her after all, since they have the same last name now, Kazama. It's good to see Kong back in the game too.

What annoyed me the most was we never got to know what the hippo dude's, that had wandered all around the world, relationship with Tsukimoto. Is he his father or what was his relationship with Smile. I mean he cried when he finally saw him and said he had looked for him all around the world.

Overall, it's was a good sport anime. Animation was very unique and good. Use of metaphor to depict the story was just amazing. Something I really loved with this one, which I don't see very often in anime. Character developments of all characters were intense, especially with Peco, Kazama and Kong, and it's some of the best I have seen in my whole anime history. The OST were meh. Overall I loved and enjoyed it very much. 7/9 = fair score. :)
Mar 30, 2018 8:39 AM

Jul 2016
That was a great anime overall. I liked the story, the art style was unique but worked pretty well.

The German was a bit awkward, bc it was really bad (in pronounciation and gramatically).
Jan 20, 2019 1:14 PM
Aug 2018
What a satisfying ending. I really love this show. I really love how the author uses ping pong as a vehicle for a great story. Such a great show. The music and voice actor were amazing throughout the show

I give this show a 9/10.
Apr 6, 2019 7:33 AM

May 2009
Today I rewatched this show maybe like 4th times and it is still a masterpiece
May 29, 2019 11:45 AM
Sep 2016
Holy shit! The duel between smile and peco was amazing, it is great (and also bizzare ) to see a match that's score is irrelevant.
The pure momentum that they were having made me sit at the edge of my seat, and to think it is all about pingpong :P
This episode (and this show in general) reached an level of tension that most sports anime don't even come close to. I liked how it was pure fun, seeing how passionate and happy they were (especially smile) made my happy as well.
It was nice to see all of them grow up. Kazuma is looking dope in his new hair!
I probably now will go and watch all masaaki yuasa's work because this shit is so unique that I dont even feel like I'm watching anime anymore.
Jun 26, 2019 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
This is the literal objectively good anime series. No one sane person could dislike this show.
Jul 25, 2019 9:07 AM
Jan 2019
Just finish rewatching this. Absolutely great anime :)
Jul 25, 2019 6:49 PM

Jun 2019
Just finished this earlier today. A really excellent watch and the first anime with sports as a major genre that I really gave a serious try to and enjoyed.

For all the talk the animation gets, I didn't find it as trippy or inaccessible to get into at first as Yuasa's other work, Kaiba. It was just high quality classic animation. Reminded me of old sketch panels, and some shots were just amazing, like the close-ups of balls ricocheting off the rubber on paddles or the way they conveyed a sense of speed and movement from different angles around the table. You could really get lost in some of those shots. I felt like I could just watch a dedicated five to ten minutes of zoom-ins on racket action.

They really elevated this one by incorporating all the details too. Backstories and history of characters with the flashbacks, players' psychological states changing minute to minute in midst of a game, and even sports advertising with Poseidon and the perspective of spectators in person and online.
Sep 28, 2019 7:21 AM
May 2016
I've rewatched this show now about 3 times, but all I can say is that this is hands down one of the best anime I've ever seen, and I'm certain it's always going to be that in my heart. The direction was top-notch, the OST was utterly fantastic, the style was unique and it used that to it's full advantage, but by god the character writing and overall message especially in the final episodes are some of the most uplifting things I've ever experienced. Every time I watch this show I feel a part of me changing for the better. This is the number one show I will always use for my argument that anime is true art and that it shouldn't be looked down upon as a medium, Yuasa is a prodigy and this anime is a masterpiece in every sense of the word for me.
ModernoirFeb 2, 2020 10:14 PM
Oct 21, 2019 7:33 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So Peco won... this final was awesome, like the entire anime
9/10
Nov 6, 2019 8:33 AM

Mar 2019
Peco ended up winning
Very good anime and an absolutely awesome ending
Nov 11, 2019 8:51 PM

Sep 2017
Honestly felt like this show dropped the ball a bit on the finale. It had the problem of too many things converging at once, too many flashbacks, too much repetition of motifs. It was to the point that I didn't feel all that invested in what was supposed to be the climax of the series. I also don't love that Tsukimoto's character development was basically condensed into this singular match with Peko. I'm not saying the show didn't do a good job setting up their rivalry and dynamic because it certainly did... but it could have spent time making the development seems more natural instead of repeating "The hero comes" like a mantra.

All that said, the animation was as top-notch as ever, the pace and movement of the match was so lively. This episode can't top 7/10 for me, probably is around a 6, but it's hard to give the show overall any less than an 8 mainly because of how expressive its animation is.
LordQuazNov 11, 2019 9:06 PM
Feb 14, 2020 7:56 PM
Sep 2017
Solid shows from start to finish.
Tsukimoto was a interesting character. Also, Tamura Obaba was a great comic relief.

Overall, 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2020 10:42 AM

Apr 2016
An amazing series with a great characters development. The story was interesting and the relationship between the characters were very good. Hoshino is a great character and the one with the best development, another one is Kazama with the way he opened his eyes and changed then. Also Wenge is a great character, my favorite after Peco. The friendship between Peco and Tsukimoto was the best thing of the series. I’m very glad I found the time to finally watch it.
Mar 10, 2020 4:00 PM

May 2018
ngl I was rooting for Smile to win, but I understand why Peco won the finals.

9/10 for me. It was a great ride with some of the most grounded characters I have seen in an anime!
Apr 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Aug 2013
Smile would have won if he aimed higher I guess. Still,that was great, not many series manage to have such an impact with few episodes.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Apr 5, 2020 2:12 PM

Jan 2014
9/10 for me :) only gripe is the ending felt a little anticlimactic/rushed, and we never got to fully explore side characters like the wandering guy and yurie. beautiful animation and message though, one of few objectively good anime
Apr 6, 2020 2:45 AM
Feb 2018
MrTea said:
Ending felt a bit rushed, almost as if it ended before it even began. A pity, because I liked it.

lol it was supposed to be liked that
Apr 7, 2020 4:34 PM
Oct 2018

This frame is so good.
Apr 8, 2020 3:26 AM

Apr 2015
717 people must be blind.

9/10
Apr 10, 2020 2:58 PM
takodachi

Jan 2020
i'm so glad i finally picked this up. such a simple story yet it managed to bring out such complex emotions out of me. I haven't felt this alive in a long time.

9/10

π’«π‘œπ“… 𝒢 𝓅𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒢𝓃𝒹 𝑔𝑒𝓉 π’Ύπ“‚π“‚π‘œπ“‡π“‰π’Άπ“π’Ύπ“π‘’π’Ή
π’―π’½π‘œπ“Šπ‘”π’½π“‰ π“…π“‡π‘œπ’Έπ‘’π“ˆπ“ˆ π‘œπ“‹π‘’π“‡π“‡π’Ύπ’Ήπ‘’
π’«π“Šπ“‡π’Ύπ’»π“Ž π“‚π“Ž π“…π‘œπ’Ύπ“ˆπ‘œπ“ƒπ‘’π’Ή 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹

Apr 22, 2020 9:54 AM

Apr 2016
Whoa, a flash forward into the future! Now that was unexpected. Holy shit though, Peco became a player at the olympics. Impressive stuff! It's a little sad that Tsukimoto put table tennis down for good but it looked like he didn't regret his decision.

Awesome series. It excels in every aspect other than the rather strange art, but even that is nothing compared to everything else this series has to offer.

8/10
Apr 25, 2020 9:40 PM

Sep 2013
What a good show!

The animation put me off from watching it for so long, but I'm really glad I watched it. Honestly, animation wasn't bad at all, it was probably just the side by side comparison with newer shows made it look worse than it was.

On to the actual show. After reading others thoughts on the show and thinking I've come to appreciate this coming of age story even more.

I'm glad that the show seemed to move on from a theme it had in the middle, where talent trumps all.
It's easy to look at small moments in your life, take note that these are the moments that the show actually focuses on, and feel that they are very significant. But despite this, you will come to realise that life simply goes on!
The winners in life are those who don't let these moments stop them from doing what they love. After all, the winners in life are those who are doing what they love.
Jul 12, 2020 9:17 AM

Dec 2019
i really liked the time skip and the way this ended after all that, loved the osts and the way they displayed the matches so much, it had a weird and funny animation but unique as well and that didn't bother me so i was able to enjoy this show to the fullest.
                                                         πŸ–€   

Jul 14, 2020 5:10 AM
Jul 2017
I wanted Smile to win so bad, but i came from hating Peco so much to absolutely love him and i cant think of a happier ending.

Kong was my big favorite of the series and his story was so subtle. Loved this thing.
Also is funny to see the comments of the episodes right when the episodes came out from dudes that were expecting nothing and at the end call this a masterpiece.
Aug 9, 2020 7:15 AM

Nov 2018
Great show and a good way to wrap up the series. Will miss this series.

9/10
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Sep 4, 2020 8:24 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yep, thats it, the final match, for once, and forever. Its had a Less satisfactory, on my opinion, for the sake of a good end. But, yeah, the duration kinda lacking, so its too understandable. For me, the best part was previously. So, this just served as an epilogue in the last 10 minutes. Ah, i shall be honest, the end had some bad tastes on my mouth. Here i am that thought it had a straight forward ending that could easily predict its last. But, nope, they decided to twist it with a time skip. Lmao. I am crying.

Now, for my another pure opinion, this shall meet all of my criteria being my 10. However, the ending was a bit decreased my satisfaction. So, yeah, for all of my proud, 9/10 for this one. The characters were just too perfect and well developed. The story had all of a masterpiece criteria i wanted. The art and animation were so eccentric that i can't talk shit about. The soundtracks were just fine to me, nothing great, still no shit at all. My enjoyment? Its the difficulty on this kind of show. It suit on 10, honestly. But somehow, the last thing had some decreasing momentum. I knew its had some deep meaning. Not to mention how their deep relations kinda had a massive impact at their end life of school too. But, still, its had some void that left it without any better terms to closed it. So, yeah, its just 9 for me.

Thats it. Its surely had everything that defines a too good to be true intentions. Overall, this show was just insane. If only they could span it more longer than its end, i shall be granted and become a priest. Lol.

Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 7, 2020 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
Honestly, this anime was a pleasant surprise for me, I already knew it had a lot of people praising it but to think it did so well on the characterization despite the art choice ... absolutely amazing.
Speaking of art, yes it did feel weird going into the anime but the more you watched, the more it didn't matter and at times it even helped the anime for the better.

9/10

Jan 1, 2021 4:21 PM
Jan 2021
This anime is amaazing. Loved it since the beginning--the composition, the bgm, the choice of colours, and the art style are refreshing, and they somehow go really well with the narrative--I can't imagine the outcome will be as good as this if its style is anywhere near the "usual" anime styles. The entire show is teeming with symbolisms, and the more you think about it the more hearbreaking it is. The weight of the idea of "hero" towards the characters in this story is so meticulously portrayed that I felt their share of loneliness and longing as well. This is partly why it so hurts soo bad when I realised that tsukimoto (smile) has been waiting for hoshino to save him all this time, and that hoshino is oblivious to it, even resenting smile and quitting ping pong somewhere along the line. 'My blood tastes like iron'--it is the proof that smile is human; not a robot. The bond between smile and peco is incomparable in the entire anime industry. Ping Pong the Animation, what a masterpiece it is.
Jan 12, 2021 8:50 PM

May 2020
Freaking masterpiece. 10/10 I love this a lot. A lot of the characters are likeable, great ending and time skip too
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

310 by minami6 »»
May 13, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.