Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 7, 2016 2:55 AM

Jun 2011
yuyyuka said:
_Rika said:

I have a rough idea of where this is going. I might be wrong and it could in actuality be something drastically different from what I have on my mind, but at this point I don't see what else it could be. Oh well, only time will tell.

I can tell you what I know If you would like to, so it's up to you.
The thing with the story is that it has a few twists, so some things are not what they seem to be in first glance.

Thanks for the offer but I can do without knowing the 'twists' in advance and consequently spoiling the story for me. I have chosen to patiently wait and see where this show goes.
Feb 8, 2016 8:28 AM

Feb 2009
It was a fantastic episode. The play was amusing and funny.
Yakumo make up LoLXD
The seiyuu's play is fantastic in every episode.
Feb 8, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2014
This show alone makes me forget about shitty Fall 2015. Phenomenal in every sense of the word!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2016 2:30 PM

Apr 2014
love this
i cryed with this guy
love him
Feb 8, 2016 5:16 PM
Dec 2015
is it weird that i totally dig the main character as a geisha? because holy hell he was all sharp edges and gourgeousness
Feb 8, 2016 6:17 PM

Dec 2008
What is Miyokichi up to? The way she's always throwing herself at Yakumo is so annoying! Is someone paying her to "make him a man"?
Feb 8, 2016 6:20 PM

Jul 2015
Man... such a great show. 5/5 hope it continues with its quality.
Feb 8, 2016 7:13 PM

Jul 2013
If I could score the complete anime just for a episode, definitely I'll give it 10/10.
What a greaat episode!
Each episode the more I love this anime. I'm glad a great anime like this exists <3

100% of all dead people have never complained about being dead. So I guess it isnt that bad.
Feb 8, 2016 7:21 PM
Aug 2015
NOOOOOO
_Rika said:
yuyyuka said:

I have a rough idea of where this is going. I might be wrong and it could in actuality be something drastically different from what I have on my mind, but at this point I don't see what else it could be. Oh well, only time will tell.

NOOOOOOO. THIS IS NOT GOING WHERE I THINK IT WILL GO. HOLY SHIIIIITT. I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE.

that stuff aside, episode 5 was absolutely wonderful. I'm starting to warm up to Miyokichi a lot and i like the relationship she and Yakumo have. I feel like she really understands, and accepts him as a person and how he's not really attracted to women. Also when Bon takes off his obi on stage and revels he's actually a man was so cool!! He acted super confident and sassy and I loved it :)
Feb 10, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2007
Back to back Ishida Akira performances! First as Zura and now this. Gotta love this guy!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 11, 2016 4:06 AM

Dec 2010
tsubasalover said:
lol @ bringing girls and he get them away. He thinks that his friend's rakugo can go better (not low class). moment with that lady again. The daughter of the boss came and kind of in trouble.

IS that Kimura-san's character who voices a boy who got huge volume of hair? lol~. That lady did come to do his make up for his acting. He does a character who pretends to be female, and he does very well!! The audiences likes it, too.

Next ep. airing February 11 (Thursday) 27:16 instead because of TBS special show next week.
So episode 6 is going to be released today?
"If you don't love anyone, it'll make your life easier. But, I don't want to believe it's useless to love anyone" - Hikari Sakishima
Feb 11, 2016 4:16 AM

Nov 2007
Sam1198777 said:
So episode 6 is going to be released today?

Yes, that is correct.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 11, 2016 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
Kiku's performance was just too amazing, loved the way the expressions and emotions were captured during the play.

This is a gem this season, glad I decided to marathon up to the latest episode, it's surprisingly unique and a joy to watch! DEEN's animation is proving to be far better than their usual output this time around as well considering how bad their rep is.
Feb 13, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2009
Another great episode. We can clearly see the difference in how the two treat women and it's nice to see Yakumo opening up to Miyokichi a bit. The play was awesome! Seems like that's when Yakumo really discovered his love of having the audience's attention huh? :P Preview looks like we're going back to Yakumo's childhood surprisingly enough ... I wonder why they've stopped going through his adulthood? Hmm ... :O
Feb 14, 2016 4:36 AM

Dec 2012
Yakumo is finally growing as a performer

Didn't realize this was Deen, wow.
Feb 14, 2016 5:18 PM

Sep 2014
Wow this was good! Yakumo was really shining this episode, and he was really enjoying himself.

I honestly felt as if I was in the crowd watching the performance. Miyokichi is also really fun to watch on screen. I really loved this episode :D
Feb 15, 2016 1:41 AM

Jun 2013
I've always believed that beautiful men make beautiful women. Look at KPOP male idols, they all like women.
臭い-
Feb 17, 2016 12:13 PM

Jul 2009
The play was beautiful and fun! :D
Feb 21, 2016 12:23 PM

Nov 2015
I loved the play it was fun to watch

5/5

Feb 26, 2016 11:56 PM

Dec 2012
That was beautiful. This anime is like a big movie, I'm always eager to see the next episode. I hope that Yakumo will be more confident after this nice theater play.
His girlfriend is so kind with him, he is lucky :)
Feb 27, 2016 11:12 PM
Dec 2009
I wonder when we'll get thrown back into the present time. Episode 10 or 11...?

_Rika said:
yuyyuka said:

Yeah at this point I can only imagine on ending and the title and the fact we know who dies in the future is basically a huge spoiler if it really does end up like that :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjū
Mar 4, 2016 2:15 PM

Apr 2014
Damn, this show really is great! Enjoying every second of it. The atmosphere is warm and calm (sometimes even quite intense). Character development and relationship is very likable. Can't get enough of this..
Top nothc!

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu > Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Mar 6, 2016 8:52 PM

Dec 2013
Really nice play.
Mar 11, 2016 9:23 AM

Aug 2014
Kiku-san! :D That was such an awesome performance. I think this episode was a pivotal point in how he became so good at Rakugo and not just the verbal part but the acting part as well. It's interesting to see the birth of a legend. Yotarou has some tough shoes to fill.

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Mar 13, 2016 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, that was great! I liked the first half with Miyokichi but second half of this episode when they both acted on the stage in that play was just brilliant!

This show is doing good, it almost felt like I was in a theatre. I really can't say I'm into rakugo but this anime always manages to absorb me in its unique atmosphere.
Mar 14, 2016 2:57 AM

Jan 2014
Kiku-san was so hawt!!! :3 Omg, new hazubendo! <3
Knowing his old man self is so tough on me, though ;-;
Mar 14, 2016 9:21 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode as usual, enjoyed the romantic moments too.
Mar 30, 2016 11:34 PM
Aug 2011
He really did turn into the bestest girl and he rocked the furisode too.

Seriously though, I really liked the play.
Mar 31, 2016 6:02 AM

Dec 2013
For some reason, I feel nervous in each episode. I really like the play and it was really fun. Kiku looked and acted like a real female and the photos turned out to be amusing.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 2, 2016 7:33 AM

Nov 2011
The everyday life insight, advancing in an almost flawless, another stumbling block on the past of the protagonists is cast into the lake of understanding of history. Pleasant narration, characters that you make love for their purity, quality of good drawings, even the sets are beautiful.
Apr 2, 2016 12:35 PM

May 2012
Hah pretty good episode, let's see what's next.
Apr 13, 2016 8:56 AM

Aug 2014
lol Yakumo as a female was hilarious, best Rakugo so far in the show!
Apr 19, 2016 2:04 PM

Jan 2016
That was great. I hope they start doing the Rakugo like this.
Best episode so far

5/5
Apr 21, 2016 7:17 AM
May 2015
Miyo is trying everything to get close to kiku. And kiku as a female lead!! Yup, he was a fox!
Oct 30, 2016 5:18 PM

May 2014
Okay, so now I'm kicking myself for dropping this halfway through episode 2 when it was still airing.
I didn't like the first episode at all...in fact I nearly fell asleep, but with each episode, it just gets better and better. A slow burn for sure, but once everything comes together the reward is worth it.

Miyokichi is a character I didn't think i'd like, but she's great & I'm finding myself really routing for her and Kiku. They're definitely starting to care about each other and it's evident by their body language (which this anime does so, so well).
Kiku's development and characterisation is wonderfully done too, and he's definitely my favorite in the anime. Him playing the woman was pure gold- I'm glad he finally found his Rakugo!!

Of course, we know it's inevitable that tragedy is going to strike because of the present...so I'm definitely on edge!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2016 3:14 PM

Feb 2016
They continue playing on the inferiority complex Yakumo has right from the beginning to now, this was a slight breather to allow Yakumo to shine for once and truly savour the spotlight.

This is a trope that I hardly ever see in Hollywood, such complex and contradictory feelings of love and hate, pride and jealousy. But I could easily count the shows that have this angst between the favoured MC and perceived side character of the MC.

Looks like we'll be revisting this, even delving back in time to their childhood again. It's hard to believe that Sukeroku would be the 'bad guy' but I have a feeling that it will be the case. Off course I doubt that Yakumo would be snow white innocent leading up to the tragic incident.

I think the main reason would be because they become professional rivals much like 'the prestige'. But the straw that breaks the camel's back is women. It's a trope that they've introduced as far back as when they are becoming futsuname. It's also a common storytelling device in East Asia and Europe with Christian morality mixed in.

I also remember that whenever Sukeroku's daughter stares in contempt at Yakumo, Yakumo looks physically uncomfortable, it's something that Yakumo is still unused to. I think that may imply that the final trafic incident was not malicious but an accident in that turbid environment.
Cloud_IllusionDec 22, 2016 3:22 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 28, 2016 11:31 AM

May 2015
Very good episode. This show is really good to watch. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 3, 2017 3:45 AM

Dec 2012
If I didn't know Kiku was a man and watched that play scene, I'd just assume he was a woman without any doubts. I like how this anime is a story-telling of a story-telling and yet does it well from what I've seen so far. I didn't even feel time pass by watching this episode.
allo
Jan 9, 2017 3:53 AM

Feb 2014
LOL that play awakened Yakumo's inner narcissist.
And more bromance between him and Shin.
Also liked the interactions between Kiku and Miyokichi a lot more this time around. Probably my favorite episode so far.
Jan 25, 2017 11:52 PM

Jul 2012
From almost backing out to putting on an amazing performance. This was great development for him, and it seems like he might've found his own style of rakugo in the process :)
May 1, 2017 5:35 AM

Mar 2012
The play was quite enjoyable, definitely prefer this type of storytelling more. I guess it's just more entertaining watching multiple actors interacting with each other than just one person.
May 2, 2017 10:24 AM

Jul 2014
This anime is really something else... I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, and was so engrossed in it (like all the other episodes before it). It just keeps getting better and better!!
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jul 25, 2017 6:11 PM

Apr 2015
Shin's got bitches in the living room gettin' it on and they ain't leavin' till six in the morning...or not. Yakumo was having none of that.

Yakumo could've won RuPaul's Drag Race with that getup. I'm glad this play looks to be giving him the "big break" he deserves; looks like racy rakugo and feminine roles are his thing.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 25, 2017 9:04 AM

Jan 2017
Well, this was a funny episode. Never expected to see Kiku dressed like a woman lol
Karasuno Fight!!!
Sep 29, 2017 1:29 PM

May 2009
I love this backstory so much lol. It's like a huge flashback, but I don't mind at all. The story is very fun to follow!
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jan 7, 2018 2:13 AM

Jun 2016
So, Kikuhiko and Miyokichi are really in a relationship then? Or they're not that serious? Huhu. I'm so jealous. But Miyokichi seems a nice lady, so I guess I'm okay with it, but STILL! ;-;

Kikuhiko as a woman is so fucking beautiful. Hahaha. I'm wheezing when he's so shy and too anxious to go out on the stage. Hahahaha. So fucking adorable. I can't.

That play is still a form of rakugo, right? Or that play was just an introduction to Kikuhiko's rakugo performance? I'm lost. Hehe.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Feb 22, 2018 7:18 AM

Jul 2015
Yakumo is my favorite trap.

He was struggling lately and felt some jealousy towards Sukeroku because he was becoming a lot more popular while not struggling nowhere as much as him, but I think this great performance will give him a nice boost in understanding his potential.
Apr 21, 2018 8:25 PM

Mar 2009
Yakumo's relationship is really interesting...

Honestly, he seems romantically interested in him, especially with the way the anime tells the story and chooses to focus on certain expressions and scenes... As well as that, there's his unhappiness with Sukeroku bringing home women and his own inability to seemingly truly fall for women...

And this episode, where we have him get in touch with his feminine side (while a tad cliche) and embrace it / excel in it.

Regardless, I was happy to see Yakumo feeling a bit more confident for once.
Dec 29, 2018 3:59 AM
Oct 2017
Looks gorgeous in girls' dresses
Jan 2, 2019 4:35 AM

May 2016
Well he did pretty well for the first time, I miss Youtaro though when the flash backs will end!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2016

123 by Maladroite »»
Sep 23, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

263 by BigBoyAdvance »»
May 29, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.