Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 27, 2014 1:46 AM

Dec 2011
This series is really turning into the surprise hit of the season for me. Another great episode. So many feels.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 27, 2014 7:10 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode who dutifully and with foresight, I believe, insists on the past of the characters, making it more engaging to the viewer that has happened in the recent past.
The drawings are not bad and the animations are maintained to a good standard.
I wonder if the next episode will advance the plot.
Oct 29, 2014 10:10 AM

Feb 2014
Fuck these flashbacks, they contributed nothing whatsoever. It was already pretty well-established that they were childhood friends; anything more is unnecessary. Wish they would've stuck to actual plot instead of pointless irrelevant bullshit. Especially since episode 2 was so strong.
Oct 31, 2014 1:11 PM

May 2014
All these flashbacks were really good. It made me get attached to the characters and story. This anime is getting better :D
Nov 1, 2014 5:52 PM

Apr 2012
Why is the audio quality of this show so fucking awful?
Nov 1, 2014 8:33 PM
Oct 2014
The flashback on how Hak became Yona's bodyguard was awesome! If I haven't read the manga, I probably would have thought that the unwanted attentions from Kang Tae-Jun were masterminded by the king to get Hak to agree to stay at the castle, lol!

In the second flashback, we were given an interesting glimpse into the characters of the three men who the children look up to - General Mundok was hilarious but obviously caring; Soo-won's father seemed scary; and there's definitely more to the king - he doesn't seem to be a coward.

I liked the fact that there was no overreaction from either Hak nor Yona during the leech removal scene. I also found the scene where Yona remembered some of Soo-won's harsh words as the snake was about to attack her as symbolically befitting of his betrayal and his now being a threat to her.

Again, Hak proves in this episode how devoted he was to the king and how important it was for him to see Yona wanting to live even if her only motivation currently was something he didn't approve of.

kenmas said:

where can i get a hak btw?

This. I need a Hak of my own too, lol.
Nov 4, 2014 7:42 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was better as it helped established Hak's character while showing some interesting scenes regarding the king's personality. It barely made me not want to drop this series now that the enjoyment for this series has started.
Nov 7, 2014 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
It's sad seeing that cute Soo Won transformed in such a cold hearted bastard. To throw away all those memories, fuck that guy.

The snake scene was intense.
Nov 12, 2014 11:00 PM

Dec 2013
Slow episode, could have been handled better imo, specially the flashbacks, they spend a little too much time on that.

So... if that was a snake nest, how did Yona get there unscathed in the first place? After she snaps out of it, we can see Hak running away with Yona for quite some time there, possibly meaning she was kinda deep into the forest, so why wasn't she attacked while she was 'out of her mind'? Just a little something that got me thinking...

An okay-ish episode, i wasn't bored. 3.5/5
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 13, 2014 10:10 AM

Jan 2013
Good episode, it had some nice backstory.
Nov 21, 2014 12:31 AM

Feb 2013
Yona's squeal when she was throwing snowballs was one of the more adorable things I've heard in a while.

And was that what's his face that got shot with arrows in the preview?? I hope he's alive....that made me sad when he......died?
Dec 15, 2014 8:30 PM
Jun 2013
More flashbacks. They were pretty informative and cool to see, but I kinda wish we could move away from them a bit and focus more on the present. I'm interested to know what's going on after they escaped and it just seems like we're getting more scenes with them as children then as adults.
Dec 22, 2014 6:22 AM

Jun 2013
Yona is somewhat getting irritable and irksome, always lingering on to the past and not facing the reality. Even Hak mentioned it in this episode. I thought she would go and cut her hair when she wandered off.. but in the end all was for naught..
Jan 17, 2015 1:13 PM

Mar 2013
Child Yona was cute, and she seemed more... level-headed back then. Less spoiled and better tempered.

On the other hand, +1 respect for Dead King-san. Grabbing that sword blade and making food for his daughter even though he didn't have to.
Feb 11, 2015 12:19 AM

Jul 2013
Aw, childhood flashbacks. D: It's sad how different life changes after you're a kid. Those innocent days seem the best sometimes. I liked the additions to Hak's backstory here. He's my favorite so far. Still don't really care for the love interest thing in this story but for now I'll roll with it.
Mar 5, 2015 11:57 AM

Oct 2012
What's the point of those flashbacks? Suwon should be portrayed as antagonist now no matter what past he had. And I would appreciate if they toned down the comedy else they turn this series into total mess.
So far I really don't know if they want to do shoujo, fantasy battle series, or second Twelve Kingdoms/Utawarerumono. This anime tries to be everything but that's the precise reason why it fails to deliver anything.
Mar 11, 2015 7:13 PM

Aug 2010
Nice to see more of Hak's perspective and it's pretty clear that he has feelings for Yona. He is without a doubt my favorite so far in the series and I doubt it will change.
Mar 17, 2015 9:08 PM
May 2014
Felt like filler... until I recognized the pacing and went along with it. Set up the back story very well, imo.
Apr 3, 2015 12:32 AM

Nov 2013
Most of this episode was just flashbacks. I hope they get through the flashbacks soon because I want to see Yona develop more as a character.

I don't like Yona but damn was she adorable as a child.

Dat nude Yona. HNNNNNNNNNNG

Decent episode

7/10

Jun 25, 2015 1:52 AM

Aug 2010
That flashback was cute~ I guess that explains why Yona is so shocked at what Soo Won did.

So Hak does have feelings for Yona XD
Jul 19, 2015 9:04 PM

Apr 2011
Hope this is not a poisonous snake .-.

The writer did a good job at making me hate soo-won ;-; and be annoyed that she still won't let go, even though she's showing signs of coming to her senses. It's hard to empathize though, I could never imagine being in her position, that poor girl.

I also was shocked to see the king grab that sword.
Aug 10, 2015 7:12 PM

Jul 2013
So we saw someting from the past when Yona, Hak and Su-won were kids. Yona was so cute omg :D

Even before Hak was her guard he protect her from the son of the fire general. Was nice to see when they lied about that they are together and love each other. ^.^

Wow when the king grab at the sword he made no sound although there was so much blood. And I liked to see Hak's ji-san :)

Sep 9, 2015 12:26 AM

Apr 2010
This anime's so beautiful I lose the track of time. ;_;
Oct 13, 2015 6:29 AM

Feb 2010
This anime has some goodness, we'll see if it will be enough. I realy like the palette and scenery, locations, and overal that Chinese-Korean style. The land seems to be very small. Alas, animation often looks jerky, and I'm not sure about fighting - sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. I'd prefer they had more realistic combat, but we can see already from the previevs that some of the heroes have freakish powers. I cringed when in previous episode Soo Won was blocking Son Hak's halberd with a sword - that's no small feat if at all possible.
What I'm enjoying here, aside from visuals, is Yona and Hak. Flashbacks were welcome, they are fitting as the princess has her world turned upside down and crashed on her, dreaming of old times and trying to face reality - those memories emphasise the gap between past and present, and the tragedy of it. Waking up to a lonely forest scene, she might feel she is all alone, untill Hak shows up. He actualy had feeling for Yona for some time, but being stranger to such feelings and having other concerns probably was suppressing them. If he would acknowledge them as they are, rather than simply a determination of "protecting" princess, is to be seen yet. And Yona is so lucky to have him looking after her. Surely she would grow to appreciate Hak more if she is not a fool. The princess is also pretty, that leech scene showed both, her great legs and how helpless she is outside from palace. It also would be kind of romantic, if she was not in such shock, that is... Son Hack clearly is a warrior type, which serves Yona best. I hope they would not try to "toughen" her up too much.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Oct 14, 2015 12:02 PM

Feb 2013
If Yona doesnt realize how great guy Hak is i'll drop this >:(

Oct 20, 2015 7:03 PM

Oct 2015
I love it already!! Great writing, great visuals, intriguing story and best of all GREAT characters!!
And it's so damn cute :) I haven't watched many anime yet, but it seems as if this is going to be one of -if not the best- I've seen yet. I already hope there'll be a sequel.

Edit: Now that I'm finished with season 1 I see this post was superfluous.
granuliOct 22, 2015 2:47 AM
Jan 7, 2016 1:47 AM

Nov 2010
I have a feeling that I'm going to be typing this a lot but I really liked this episode.
Hak is already my favorite character. That voice.``
Seeing their little flashbacks was definite and I enjoyed every single minute of it even though Su-Won is still there. HAHAHA.
It'll be a while before we're all caught up to the "present" so this anime is basically going to be flashback anime until then. HAHA.

HAK AND YONA FOREVERRRRR.
There's a lot that you can learn just by staring at the theme song. Man. HAHA.
Feb 1, 2016 11:30 AM

Aug 2014
hmm, the flashback with all three of them was cute and bittersweet.

the king grabbing the blade, and not in a clumsy fashion shows he knew his way around a sword, right? does soo-won's accusation have a foundation then?
Apr 2, 2016 8:26 AM

Jan 2012
Wait i will have flashback in every episode or what , the anime has good potential

May 16, 2016 7:14 AM

Jun 2013
We get to see the flashback of their childhood. They were so cute together back then. Then everything changed in just one night. Soo-Won, just why?

Yona x Hak is so damn cute. :3
Jun 12, 2016 9:23 AM

Aug 2015
Soo-Won you moron. The princess was in love with you. You could have easily married Yona and become the king for real. If you had the guts to murder the king, I'm sure you'd have the guts to manipulate him into accepting the marriage.
After becoming crown prince and earning the trust of everyone, it would have been much easier to murder the king more subtly without arousing suspicion (poison him? frame the fire tribe brat for the murder?). Because you'd be living in the castle all the time. Right now, the king is suddenly dead after the first time you've visited in years. 0/10 planning.
If you thought it through more, no one would have questioned your legitimacy. You could have fooled the world. Now look at this mess.

I am enjoying this show, though I hope there's a plot twist coming up soon. Some more of Soo-Won and the king's past revealed, hopefully.
whitherJun 12, 2016 9:27 AM
Aug 16, 2016 1:32 PM

Jul 2014
Somewhat cheesy backstory, but works well as a contrast between the past and the present.
Nov 28, 2016 6:54 AM

May 2015
Good episode. Most of it is one big flashback, but still I enjoy.

+ Yona sexy body

Man, this series is gold. I know I only watched 3 episdoes, but music is amazing.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 21, 2017 10:44 PM

May 2015
Hak got bitten by a snake... I wonder if they are poisonous?
Aug 20, 2017 10:57 PM

May 2013
Awwhhhhh, chibi Hak <333333333
Why didn't Yona love him to begin with? He's so much better. Looks wise and skills wise :3

Can't wait for her character development from when she gets short hair. :} It's more likable than her weak doll version atm :/
Mar 29, 2018 1:27 PM

Nov 2016
What a cute episode and after seeing this, I can't help but think that it must be unbelieveable tough for Soo won to be like that towards Yona now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 11, 2018 1:42 PM

Mar 2016
Their childhood together was so adorable and joyful! All that is erased the moment the king was assassinated leaving only hatred and pain.

I'm feeling a huge revelation is coming which will hopefully explain why the assassination happen.
Nov 21, 2018 2:38 PM
Aug 2018
We need flashback episodes like this in order to fall in love with the characters. The episode was slower paced but I still enjoyed it.

The main 3 as kids were really cute. Also I liked seeing Hak getting more development this episode.

Hopefully, Yona can recover from this grief and take back her kingdom.
Mar 10, 2019 1:16 PM

Feb 2012
Yay the backstory of the badass! How does King Il keep that straight face with his palm sliced and bleeding?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 3, 2019 12:19 AM
Dec 2017
It was really heartbreaking story how their childhood was now how it became. It so nice and peace. But it changes everything. i wish i could see more about three of them.. and Hak pretty cool character.
Aug 13, 2020 6:59 PM
Oct 2019
Yona needs to wake the f up!
Oct 12, 2020 9:54 AM

May 2016
Ill was actually brave but loved peace, that came as a shock for me, too bad he died so early.
Oct 16, 2020 6:50 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
really liked this episode :D Had a few laughs aswell. And Hak looks cute as a child * . *

Mar 19, 2021 10:48 AM

Jun 2020
I love Hak’s wind tribe outfit ♡_______♡

That scene of the king hurting himself to protect Yona was really good, with Hak’s observation that the king was no coward. Really liked the flashbacks this episode, really fleshed out the Hak’s backstory well. And the trio used to be so close. Shame.....how could they ever forgive Suwon for what he’s done.

I think it’s good if Yona kept the hairpin. It would serve as a reminder.

Hak is what dreams are made of

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jun 10, 2021 2:38 PM
Sep 2020
A more emotional episode with all the flash backs and all !!

Hak and Princess Yona as kida were cute !! Hope the princess gets better soon both mentally and physically !!!
Jun 20, 2021 11:59 PM
Aug 2020
Haha he saw Yona naked like its nothing. Poor Yona haha
Jul 7, 2021 6:10 AM

Aug 2018
Yona is hot, im liking this....

Dec 13, 2021 1:11 PM

May 2017
First part : that yona with long hair was so cute ! I hope theres more of this one
Second part : i dont like short hair one , definitly ugly

Its crazy how hair can change things 🤔

Engiem said:
Haha he saw Yona naked like its nothing. Poor Yona haha
well...she might react later when she get better , calling him a hentai , with a blushing face. But for now it would be mean to have perverted feeling to a girl when she suffer that much

This show is way too much realistic , not my thing , realistic life is already outside my house , i dont need it inside...but yona is cute , real girls arent that cute 🐥
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Feb 14, 2022 2:15 PM
Nov 2020
It's obvious that Soo Won actually likes Yona since they were kids. They really were the best of friends, it's so cute. Honestly, I don't think the king killed his brother
Dec 17, 2022 8:03 PM

Apr 2016
Aww they were cute kids and Yona makes her first step even though it might not be an easy path for her.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

376 by beyond0anime »»
Jun 13, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2014

190 by Aletheia_xxx »»
Jun 1, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2014

270 by eevee-trouble »»
May 5, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.