Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2009 7:48 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice HOME RUN! He promise it to Goro and he did it!
Dec 8, 2009 9:00 AM

Apr 2008
I knew he was going to get hit at the end. I feared the worst and had to spoil myself...

Jan 13, 2010 7:44 PM

Feb 2009
What's with Gibson being so pissed off over a few bunts? Last time I checked smallball was a legit tactic anywhere, especially since no one except Honda could actually hit his pitches.
Apr 11, 2010 11:40 PM

Feb 2008
I think that translator at the press conference is forgetting that Japanese are required to learn English ; )
not to mention that with that accent he's probably easier for Japanese to understand than Americans.

its seems inconsistent for Gibson to bother learning Japanese, he's seems more like the type that would expect everyone to adjust to him without any effort on his part.

160km/h just doesn't sound as impressive anymore after reading so many Adachi manga ;)

though getting hit in the head with one would definitely not be good :(
I doubt he'll survive

weeabooweeaboo said:
What's with Gibson being so pissed off over a few bunts? Last time I checked smallball was a legit tactic anywhere, especially since no one except Honda could actually hit his pitches.

I think it mostly has to do with Japanese stereotypes of Americans rather than any real trends in American baseball, but I don't follow baseball so I could be wrong.
Jun 1, 2010 3:00 AM

Jan 2008
jacobpaige said:

160km/h just doesn't sound as impressive anymore after reading so many Adachi manga ;)

Exactly ^^

Anyway, such a cliffhanger... I wonder what's gonna happen.
Nov 7, 2010 10:12 PM

Jul 2009
...Gibson's English = so much lol. "No wei!" I was laughing for ages XD

Anyway, that hit must have really hurt, things don't look so good for him :(
Apr 24, 2011 12:53 PM

Feb 2009
Gibson,you trash! Oh,how i hope that Honda won't die... :S

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Oct 13, 2011 3:58 PM

Aug 2009
Gotta love listening to "Americans" talk in anime. So funny. But SHIT SON. You can't just walk off a hit like that! And the preview kinda gives everything away with the title "Farewell".
Apr 19, 2012 7:12 PM

Mar 2011
Dat Engrish. What a putz.
Jun 20, 2012 7:31 AM

Jun 2009
Gibson must have played in the American league where small ball is frequently overshadowed by the all mighty homerun. Well, even in the National League it's not as common anymore. I find it pretty accurate of the american baseball mindset, if slightly exaggerated.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 5, 2013 9:36 PM

Jul 2008
Talk about arrogant. Gibson should have done his homework.
Mar 11, 2014 12:30 AM

Dec 2012
Honda da man, him and Momoko couldn't be any more right.

I was smiling ear to ear when Honda delivered that home run. Damn, whenever players get psycho about the sport I always worry that they're going to do something really sinister, but to think he actually aimed for Honda's head. I think I'm going to break down if he has to retire again.
Sep 8, 2014 3:51 AM

Sep 2013
So Goro's dad will die. I guess that explains why Hoshina was on a date with Shigeno in the OP. She will marry Shigeno instead. I hope Im wrong though.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 9, 2014 9:53 AM

Jan 2013
"No Way" lol ...
Dec 27, 2014 1:44 PM

Nov 2009
Pretty sure bunting is common in baseball. Especially if it is against a pitcher you can't hit otherwise, might as well move the runner on second to third.
Jun 25, 2015 7:04 PM

Aug 2013
Wait, with a next episode titled like, you can't mean...
Taking a ball like that to the head, even with a helmet, that's like getting it on the head by a car going 160km/h. Even if you wear a helmet, you don't make it out alive...

That Joe Gibson engrish was hilarious. Man, good thing there was subtitles when he was talking, I couldn't understand shit xD
Also, fuck that guy. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional, but he still have killed or at least hurt someone probably for the rest of his life.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 20, 2015 3:41 AM

Jun 2009
ROFL. isn't their relationship moving a little fast?
Aug 5, 2015 2:57 AM

Jan 2013
At the 19 minute mark, I called it. It was foreshadowed a few episodes back too.
Very sad, and deadly. :(

160 kph pitch reminds me of Cross Game
Aug 12, 2015 4:50 PM

Jan 2015
Wow, that demand came out pretty quickly. Why bother marrying in the first place anyway :/

That stoopid english though... "U cawl dat a bawl ?" xD

Well, we knew that this accident would happen (accident ? or delibarate...) since it was in the opening, but didn't expect it to be so soon :/
HapHazrDAug 12, 2015 4:54 PM
Mar 20, 2016 4:25 PM

Mar 2012
Well shit, I guess the marriage proposal was a deathflag.....

I swear if he actually dies from this or gets put in a coma I'm going to be one salty person ;_; Speaking of the OP, didn't really think about the broken helmet until after the proposal. Had a feeling something like this would happen during the game :(
Apr 14, 2016 8:24 AM

Feb 2013
Arrogant american, I was hoping he would be a good player with a good personality.
Honda got hit, I hope that it's nothing serious.
Aug 17, 2016 10:50 PM

Feb 2010
Holy shit, the man just can't catch a break for once the hell lol

Aug 25, 2016 2:34 PM

Feb 2008
Man fuck this show. Goro's dad was too good for anime, and they had to do this to him. Couldn't they just give him another injury and make him retire, become a coach? No, they had to fucking kill him off with a 160km/h ball to his head.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 18, 2017 1:06 AM

Nov 2011
Wow. This show has some serious guts to kill off Honda like that. I was thinking he would come out of it with a coma even in a best-case scenario, but between the title for the next episode and the OP he's all but confirmed dead.

Crap. He was such a cool dad too. That sucks so much.

I didn't expect that. That was definitely an attention-grabber.
Nov 25, 2017 2:53 AM

Dec 2015
This episode had a One Outs feel to it, very entertaining.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 8, 2017 4:39 PM

Nov 2016
Cocky,blonde american guy ✔

That last pitch was a real scumbag move,tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 30, 2018 1:12 PM

Jul 2010
I really hope Honda is not dead...
May 16, 2019 4:29 AM

Jun 2016
Oh my gosh. This episode was great. Before I dig into it I wanted to note why this anime feels so cheesy. I love the cheesy nature of it by the way, it's not a criticism. For example, instead of showing us Goro being lonely himself we have Honda notice the photo book. Then we have that nice father-son crying sesh. Then he graduates. Then he's in the bath and instead of having down time we get sad music as he pours his heart out to Hoshino about being lonely. We can also see this lack of down time with how fast the relationship between her and Honda went. If the music wasn't so exaggerated and if we had down time, like if we saw Goro looking at the photo book sad then hiding his sadness when Honda got home, then we had him have even 10 seconds of silence with an emotional camera angle in the bath it could have come off as far more real. Instead it was like aww its pulling on my heart in a cheesy, sappy way(which I do love). Further, the "will you marry me" was so picture perfect I was smiling ear to ear but laughing really hard at the same time. I loved seeing the goofy Honda decide to be resolved there. And to add it onto this it was so nice to see him and Goro play video games together, really sweet and happy moments to lead up to this tragedy.

Then the rest of the episode outside of the graduation, marriage proposal, and bonding between the three, we had all the Gibson stuff! He was quite cheesy and awful as a villain is suited to be in Major, but I really loved him! From the engrish interview where he completely disregarded everyone and said he's in it for the money, to him sleeping on standby, to him not having respect for the Japanese and stubbornly refusing to give them anything but a fastball. It was deliciously evil and arrogant! So it made the power challenge of Honda and Gibson so exhilarating. One stubborn and one trying his best, and when that home run came and they took the lead it was great, only to purposefully tilt Gibson to the point of angrily pelting Honda in the head... My gosh. I assumed he couldn't die but this thread made me realize I guess it is likely.. wow.

The actual large baseball focus this time was great!
Nov 14, 2019 4:57 PM

Sep 2018
lol so hard to be a translator XD
I watch this for sports but I get romance instead lol
Apr 24, 2020 5:32 AM

Nov 2011
I knew this is coming, but again I didn't expect it happens this early. They are not even married yet ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 28, 2020 4:01 AM

Dec 2007
that's what i'm talking about baseball, pitcher and batter duel.
and no wonder the translator couldn't translate him right, he don't talk english very good, dam engrish.
and the proposal was sweet.
just didn't thought that this end will come so soon, though to be excepted from the opening.
Oct 14, 2021 12:59 PM

Jul 2015
For all his boasting, Gibson sure does have an imposing stature being 1m98 tall and also some monstrous pitches. After hitting the homerun Honda better not get permanently injured or worse especially with his son and new not yet married wifey watching on.

For those reading this, I think its better to skip the preview for the next episode as its seems kinda spoilery

Nov 23, 2021 5:22 PM

Aug 2017
Gibson needs to chill, its just a game.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 28, 5:45 AM

Dec 2015
Teacher take a bath together with Honda, feel weird...
And I don't like the drama end of the episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 22 Discussion

removed-user - Dec 30, 2009

40 by Cam1922 »»
May 16, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Knave - May 14, 2009

103 by arcticmontys »»
Feb 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Is there Romance in this series.

_winterbear_ - Sep 14, 2022

4 by Unowen »»
Sep 14, 2022 3:49 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 17 Discussion

TowardsTheStars - Apr 20, 2012

21 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 3, 2022 9:50 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 7 Discussion

Knave - May 14, 2009

26 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 2, 2022 11:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.