Forum Settings
Forums

How Realistic Do You Prefer Character Designs To Be?

New
Feb 13, 2018 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
I prefer it when character designs are a cross between realism and wackiness:

Feb 13, 2018 8:57 PM

Feb 2015
As long as the loli's height are within acceptable loli height, I'm fine.

Oppai loli... should be okay in its level too.

Her thighs should be thicc but not too thicc.

Should wear knee socks or stockings.

Being a tsundere will always be option but have to be a +1 and +2 if imouto too.
Feb 13, 2018 9:01 PM

Nov 2008
Rainbow-colored hair is always a plus. (I'm very fond of color. I mean COLOR!!!)

I prefer eyes on the large side.

I also prefer a youthful look (either look their age or a little younger). I HATE when they're supposed to be 14 and look TWENTY. Such a pet peeve of mine. xD

I'm not against a realistic look; if the anime theme really calls for it, it works fine. (Witch Hunter Robin or Black Lagoon for example)

Feb 13, 2018 9:06 PM

Sep 2014
I don't like it when they're too realistic because then none of the girls in Rabu Raibu would look kawaii.
Feb 13, 2018 10:05 PM

Aug 2015
I don't mind, tbh. Sometimes I like it when they're unrealistic so they're easier to identify and remember.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
(β™«)
Feb 13, 2018 10:24 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
This time I'm not writing an essay. That one earlier took up all my brain power... lol.

OT: I think it depends on the show. A realistic show should have realistic character designs.

But I will also say my favorite show/game character designs are never the realistic ones, usually more colorful...

And then there's my absolute favorite character designs in a show...

Feb 13, 2018 10:45 PM

May 2016
I'm fine with everything as long as the limbs are proportional. That's why I dislike Code Geass' and Lucky Star's designs.
Feb 13, 2018 11:38 PM

Jan 2017
As long as the proportions are fine. Some have big heads like the girls in Higurashi.
And ofc, not too big eyes.
Feb 13, 2018 11:46 PM

Nov 2016
As realistic as in One Piece, that's my golden standard.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 13, 2018 11:54 PM

Oct 2017
Proportions of the body features have to look good to each other, maybe with the exception of eyes. I'm fine with Clannad's level of eye to face proportion. And character designs comes with clothings too and I prefer if the clothes is not too over the top. Can have their own flair but if they slap on too much accessories and stuff, it'll look too heavy in my eyes. I'm a person who likes simplicity.

And not sure what's considered to be a 'realistic' looking character but I'm going to assume Death Note fits the description. If that's the case, the ones with childish-like features in them are my preference. Nagi no Asukara, KonoSuba, Shokugeki, BnHA are some examples.
OVERPOWERED99Feb 13, 2018 11:58 PM
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Feb 14, 2018 12:29 AM

Feb 2010
I don't really have a preference in terms of realism. I generally can enjoy most types of character designs, but of course I do have certain ones that I love more but I'm not sure there is any pattern to them in terms of realism. It's more about having a cool and unique look for me.

One of my favorites is Nakamura Yuusuke, the character designer from Tatami Galaxy and those designs aren't really realistic, but I love their simplicity and expressiveness.

Then there's Akira's Otomo Katsuhiro, who has more realistic and detailed designs that I also love.

And Redline's Takeshi Koike whose designs are more on the OTT side of things.

Yoshitoshi Abe from SEL and Haibane Renmei has more realistic designs again, but they also look fabulous.

Meanwhile Angel's Egg's Yoshitaka Amano has this truly fantastic, almost ethereal artstyle that really stands out to me as well and stretches out beyond anime into the realm of his general artworks. And you can see it in his designs too.

Going back to more convention designs and art styles, Shingeki no Bahamut's Naoyuki Onda also has pretty nice designs, even tho they might not stand out as much as some of the others I mentioned.

And Hiroyuki Okiura, one of my favorite animators, once again firmly falls into the category of having very realistic looking designs (and movement).

Nobuteru Yuuki is kind of like a hybrid between the more fantastical and the more realistic designers, and I really like the outcome too.

And I'll finish with another a bit more convential character designer, industry legend Toshihiro Kawamoto (Bebop, Wolf's Rain).

Probably forgetting a bunch too.

So yeah, idk, you tell me if this is about realism or not realism or just about particular styles that I really, really like.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 14, 2018 12:57 AM

Sep 2011
For some reason, Aku No Hana pops in my mind.

Feb 14, 2018 1:48 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
I don't mind the eyes that much, but there are some hairstyles that just make no sense logically, whether from gravity or fashion, and that really takes me out of the anime and makes it harder to enjoy because i am thinking the whole time "how does the hair look like that. A good example is ritsuko from shiki and yasuhiro from danganronpa. Obviously there are many more examples but those two were the first two to come to mind...after yugi that is.
Feb 14, 2018 2:03 AM

Jul 2014

Interesting in-depth post! Which anime is the middle left of the Naoyuki Onda square?
Feb 14, 2018 2:31 AM

Oct 2015
They need to be fabulous as fuck, and males that I want to have anal sex with.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Feb 14, 2018 2:42 AM

Jan 2013
The more realistic the better. ♥ You can easily identify with them then.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Feb 14, 2018 2:49 AM
Oct 2015
Depends on the setting, if the anime is more realistic as a whole and one of the genres is 'slice of life', I would prefer for the character to be able to blend in and not look exotic. In comparison to that, if they are able to fit in with the setting, I'm personally fine with any design.
Heckle was here...
Feb 14, 2018 4:06 AM

Feb 2013
i tend to prefer anime with more realistic designs...
Feb 14, 2018 4:13 AM

Feb 2010
Aria-da-Capo said:

Interesting in-depth post! Which anime is the middle left of the Naoyuki Onda square?

I think she's from Sol Bianca but tbh I'm not 100% sure since I didn't make those 3x3s myself, I just picked some that represented my favorites. Onda has worked on a bunch of OVAs aside from his bigger projects like Bahamut, Ergo Proxy and LOGH and I can't say for sure which one of those she's from. She definitely looks similar to Feb from Sol Bianca but I don't remember her wearing glasses like the girl in that image, but maybe there was a scene where she did, or it was a different character after all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 14, 2018 4:15 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
If I wanted realistic then I wouldn't be watching anime
Feb 14, 2018 4:45 AM

Sep 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:
If I wanted realistic then I wouldn't be watching anime

This.
I can't see the point of trying to be realistic while drawing anime. Anime normal designs are good enough for me
Feb 14, 2018 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
unrealistic, because that way it’s easier to remember and identify characters. but if it’s an anime with serious atmosphere it bothers me when characters have fun design, because it ruins the mood.
Feb 14, 2018 5:16 AM
Feb 2017
I'm fine with looking a bit realistic, but I won't find it appealing. Personally, I like very moe or chibi character designs.

Feb 14, 2018 7:36 AM

May 2010
I can enjoy both moe cuties with huge eyes, and more realistic character designs as well, as long as it fits the series. I don't think I have a huge preference there.
Feb 14, 2018 7:45 AM

Jun 2017
The only character designs I can't stand at are the ones made by Key :

Feb 14, 2018 7:52 AM

Apr 2017

TBH Gundam isn't actually my forte..

After seeing this slick versatile art by Yasuhiko..

> A E S T H E T I C..

-Hmm... ROV in Acid by Sakamoto

-B L A M E

Capturing the various META-FICTION with pure aesthetic worldbuilding apart it's dark gritty effect.

On behalf of getting a plotless anthology scenario.. it redeems a memoir caricature like how he portrays set of

existential characters in every counterparts beyond the panel by pointing out such devastating concepts

-Asano Inio = " G O D "

-HippySnob-Feb 14, 2018 8:32 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Feb 14, 2018 8:20 AM

Jun 2017
RnDNEET021 said:

> A E S T H E T I C..

-B L A M E

Capturing the various META-FICTION with pure aesthetic worldbuilding apart it's dark gritty effect.

-Asano Inio = " G O D "

hey don't forget Alita's beautiful backgrounds and character designs ...

Feb 14, 2018 8:30 AM

Jun 2010
It can be a mix of realism with cartoonish, but with moderation. Too much and they'll not even look like humanoids.
Feb 14, 2018 8:31 AM

Aug 2016
I don't have a preference as long it is not unpleasant to look at.
Feb 14, 2018 8:42 AM

Dec 2012
I prefer the "still anime but more realistic" designs used in most series by Madhouse and Production IG. Beck and Moribito are great examples of what I like
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 14, 2018 8:44 AM

Jun 2011
I don't really know. I certainly love Sadamoto character designs. So I guess I just like when they hit this unique space... that one artist does over and over and provokes this instant nostalgia.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Feb 14, 2018 8:51 AM

Jul 2015
Realistic character design is ugly

I prefer the generic cute moe one
Feb 14, 2018 8:53 AM

Jul 2016
I just want them to still look like humans

So no Clannad eyes

Or Eiken tits
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2018 8:59 AM

Jan 2017
Not sure where to draw the line between realistic and unrealistic character design...

I like the typical big eyes so if that already makes a character unrealistic then I would say I prefer those unrealistic designs.

However as long as it's not as "realistic" as this

I'm perfectly fine with every character design

"Blood and rain mixed with broken dreams flow together along the curb,
But even in the darkest corners of misery the roses bloom at sunset"
Feb 14, 2018 9:02 AM

Nov 2015
Well I'm fine with anything as long as it's appealing and fits the show.

Feb 14, 2018 9:07 AM

Aug 2016
i love characters that in their face can express all type of emotions and actions.

This is my standard
Feb 14, 2018 9:22 AM

Nov 2014
I find that often the unrealistic aspect of character design sometimes help certain characters are anime stand out. Though realistic designs can work, it's not really necessary for me.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 14, 2018 9:30 AM

Sep 2016
Depends on the kind of anime. Realistic settings sometimes require realistic character designs. As long as looking at them doesn't seem irritating then it works out fine
Feb 14, 2018 9:40 AM

Nov 2007
As long as the designs are close to the character designs by KyoAni in their recent works (Tamako Market, Amagami Brilliant Park, Hyouka, Hibike! Euphonium, Violet Evergarden, Kyoukai no Kanata, Chuunibyou, Free! etc.). That's a Gold Standard for me. I also like clean arts more. Also, I tend to stay away from anime with close to realistic designs.

So, as much unrealistic as possible as long as the characters are freakin' adorable whether they are girls, boys or gender neutrals, I am game.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 14, 2018 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Jare4lopez said:
RnDNEET021 said:

> A E S T H E T I C..

-B L A M E

-Asano Inio = " G O D "

hey don't forget Alita's beautiful backgrounds and character designs ...

What manga is the pic on the bottom from?

@velvetPhos

Interesting perspective.
Feb 14, 2018 2:28 PM

Aug 2017
the 80s and 90s type of designs. idk.

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

55 by maya2003s »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Yesterday

41 by MeguSae38 »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 44 minutes ago

8 by Ratris_Decision »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

30 by redorzo »»
4 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - Yesterday

10 by MeguSae38 »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.