Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think too many people have a "mainstream" waifu and not enough have a cultured/controversial waifu?

New
Do too many people have boring perfect waifus?
Jan 14, 2023 9:01 PM

Jul 2016
I think there are too many people who have boring taste. Just saying.

Like Chika Fujiwara for example.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2023 9:08 PM

May 2019
IpreferEcchi said:

Absolutely agreed many people just follow popular trends blindly, one day it's Zero Two, next it's Rem, next it's Marin. like please make up your mind already
I however am eternally faithful to my one only truest waifu love since 2010 the "Wandering Warrior" Leina Vance.

Jan 14, 2023 9:15 PM

Oct 2020
People have Chika Fujiwara as their waifu? That sucks. I have many furry waifus like Renamon. I am a true man of culture.
Etcetera-Jan 14, 2023 9:18 PM

Jan 14, 2023 9:15 PM

Feb 2020
Yes, i've seen this happen with many series and it happens to be the average i'd say

the average person is boring af with little taste

anyways all my waifus (all the hundreds of them) are the best cause they're mine
though not all are super controversial

Jan 14, 2023 9:37 PM

May 2019
Etcetera- said:
I have many furry waifus like Renamon

You have an excellent taste, Renamon is pure digimon waifu material.
Jan 14, 2023 10:10 PM

May 2022
tchitchouan said:
Absolutely agreed many people just follow popular trends blindly, one day it's Zero Two, next it's Rem, next it's Marin.
Zero Two is mainstream and I may have no taste, but to my defence, she was my Waifu the second I saw her and it never changed since then. I actually didn't even knew she was that much hyped at the time I saw DitF.
Jan 14, 2023 10:11 PM

Feb 2020
I've always found myself having Waifus with a few screws loose, but I have seen many go for more safer...... boring options 🤫
Jan 14, 2023 10:15 PM

Nov 2022
is misato too mainstream 
please tell me

Jan 14, 2023 10:16 PM

May 2019
Pitohui- said:
tchitchouan said:
Absolutely agreed many people just follow popular trends blindly, one day it's Zero Two, next it's Rem, next it's Marin.
Zero Two is mainstream and I may have no taste, but to my defence, she was my Waifu the second I saw her and it never changed since then. I actually didn't even knew she was that much hyped at the time I saw DitF.

Yes of course, everyone is free to choose any waifu they like, tho i don't believe they should hop from one girl to another just because the first one lost popularity, if one chooses a waifu they should stick with her and be faithful to her.
Jan 14, 2023 10:20 PM

Dec 2019
Yeah, they go for whatever (in this case whoever) is most popular at the moment. Many aren't "bad" waifus per se, but are really basic waifus. When someone tells you that their waifu is Rem (no offense to Rem lovers, I fully understand why you guys like her) you just kinda get the feeling that their taste is a bit (albeit not necessarily) boring and you go like "yeah that's cool".

My waifu is Rena from Higurashi and recently I added Pai from 3x3 Eyes to my waifu list.
Jan 14, 2023 10:26 PM

May 2019
TheAngryNerd said:
Yeah, they go for whatever (in this case whoever) is most popular at the moment. Many aren't "bad" waifus per se, but are really basic waifus. When someone tells you that their waifu is Rem (no offense to Rem lovers, I fully understand why you guys like her) you just kinda get the feeling that their taste is a bit (albeit not necessarily) boring and you go like "yeah that's cool".

Yeah exactly, you explained my point precisely.
Jan 14, 2023 10:30 PM

Oct 2013
Gotta admit chika is appealing af, but if liking bubbly busty girl is normie shit, than I'm just a humble normie.
Jan 14, 2023 10:38 PM

Jul 2016
the irony of asking if too many people have a mainstream waifu
Jan 14, 2023 10:48 PM

Jun 2014
What the user above me said.

"mainstream" = what's popular a.k.a. highest count
"controversial" means there has to be sizeable disagreement a.k.a. not highest count

By definition, there will be too many people with "mainstream" opinions and too few people with "controversial" opinions.
Honestly, I don't relate to people who have their opinions affected by others. Some people bandwagon and enjoy others agreeing with them, and some people feel prideful when their tastes are "different." Just like what you like.
Jan 14, 2023 10:54 PM

Jul 2016
1ncoley said:
is misato too mainstream 
please tell me
Nah, you are good. Asuka and Rei are the true mainstream ones.
Jan 14, 2023 11:02 PM

Oct 2022
IDK man, controversial female characters have been getting more popular lately w/ the rise of femdom & "girlboss" memery. 

Maybe I'm just seeing a vocal minority though. Makima fans are something else... 
Jan 14, 2023 11:04 PM

Sep 2010
tchitchouan said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Absolutely agreed many people just follow popular trends blindly, one day it's Zero Two, next it's Rem, next it's Marin. like please make up your mind already

This. People changing their "waifus" like they change their clothes are absolutely cringe. Stop calling them waifus, they aren't your waifus, they are your seasonal bitches.

I don't think too many people have a mainstream waifu but too many people have a boring waifu. What's even the appeal of Rem and Mai? They are boring as fuck, they are good enough for one night and that's about it.
Jan 14, 2023 11:25 PM

May 2019
ateks said:
tchitchouan said:

This. People changing their "waifus" like they change their clothes are absolutely cringe. Stop calling them waifus, they aren't your waifus, they are your seasonal bitches.

I don't think too many people have a mainstream waifu but too many people have a boring waifu. What's even the appeal of Rem and Mai? They are boring as fuck, they are good enough for one night and that's about it.

I really don't mind if people have boring waifus, it's their choice if they want to have boring tastes but i do have a problem with people who change their waifus like some random hoe, it shows they really don't really care about the girl or her character, they're only there for the clout and popularity that comes with her for a while before they move on to the next "it girl" of the season and ditching the old one like yesterday's garbage. how often do you see people say Megumin is their waifu now like they did in 2016 or zero two is their waifu like they did in 2018, and surely this fate will happen to Marin and Nagatoro and Komi-san too when evidently the "next new girl" comes along to replace them like they did to other girls before them. it's just an endless cycle of chasing trends.
Jan 14, 2023 11:30 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017

One day she'll be added to this site and I don't care how mainstream she is.
Jan 14, 2023 11:34 PM

Nov 2022
SouthRzVa said:
1ncoley said:
is misato too mainstream 
please tell me
Nah, you are good. Asuka and Rei are the true mainstream ones.
okay thank god 
never really understood liking either due to the lore

Jan 14, 2023 11:34 PM

Aug 2016
If the limit is 1, I suppose, but if people have more than 1, then it isn't an issue
Jan 15, 2023 12:17 AM

Nov 2019
Wait, people take copy-pasted cut-board fap material as waifu? What????
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 15, 2023 12:53 AM

Dec 2008
I really regret buying me a rem body pillow from years ago. Not only do I think re:zero is a shit show now, but Rem was just a mary sue and that’s it. Not that original of character, just a basic character trope. Not as mary sue as emilia, but still. I just use the body pillow as a backrest now.
Jan 15, 2023 1:06 AM

Oct 2010
don't look at me, Rukia has tons of favs here on mal compared to Hime, imagine being a rukia fan XD
Jan 15, 2023 1:14 AM

Mar 2015
To be fair, depending on who you ask most mainstream popular waifus are controversial because most of them are high schoolers.
Jan 15, 2023 1:22 AM

Jul 2021
doesn't matter. you like what you like.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 15, 2023 1:26 AM

Jun 2016
Because that's how "mainstream" is defined.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 15, 2023 1:46 AM

Feb 2020
okay currently i dont have a husbando, and waifu? when i would be into girls i wouls simp for Misato from Evangelion, Nagatoro,  Misaki from Maid Sama and Bishamon from Noragami.

yes i think this ladys are a fine pick.

Catalano said:
don't look at me, Rukia has tons of favs here on mal compared to Hime, imagine being a rukia fan XD
whats a Rukia?
Jan 16, 2023 10:50 AM

Jul 2016
Mirai said:
To be fair, depending on who you ask most mainstream popular waifus are controversial because most of them are high schoolers.

I only count that if the anime actually focuses on them being in school.
Jan 16, 2023 3:01 PM

Jan 2020
Reigen Arataka is my waifu. He is cultured, and he is controversial because he is a male and yet a waifu. 

« »
🍙 Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Jan 16, 2023 6:27 PM

Jul 2021
Most waifus are mainstream and pretty boring. But I couldn't say that I know where to draw the line between mainstream and otherwise. Depending upon who you ask, my waifu is super mainstream.
Jan 16, 2023 7:04 PM

Jul 2022
As long as you stick with your waifu and don't bandwagon a new one every season, you're alright with me.

dreamingneon said:
Reigen Arataka is my waifu. He is cultured, and he is controversial because he is a male and yet a waifu. 

Excellent taste.
Jan 16, 2023 7:18 PM

Oct 2022
Is Speedwagon mainstream? He is the Waifu god after all.
Jan 16, 2023 7:31 PM

Jan 2021
It took me a while to find one, but I finally settled on Keqing from Genshin Impact. She's not from an anime sure, but she's one of the few characters that I've liked consistently enough to consider her a waifu. For anime though, I've always really liked Asuna from SAO, so I would probably call her my "anime waifu." Between the two though, maybe this says a lot more about what I'm actually into lol.

That said, I still love the more spicier ones like Revy from Black Lagoon. I also do love the ones that come every season, but very rarely do they feel like waifus for longer than a season (the exception may be Chisato from LycoReco, but I wouldn't put her on the same level as Keqing or Asuna)
AcctraJan 16, 2023 7:37 PM

Jan 16, 2023 7:34 PM

Jul 2013
So we're coveting 2-D waifus now too?
Jan 16, 2023 7:58 PM

Oct 2021
I have something called character phases where I have a deep liking/love for a certain character and forget that other characters exist until that phase is over. I usually change my pfp to them to represent this phase. Right now I'm on the Ichigo and Raiden phase. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Jan 16, 2023 8:11 PM

Nov 2020
Yeah they are boring, it should be like waifu from Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Jan 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Mar 2021
I think folks should be able to like who/what they like without judgement. Heck, I adore Rem, Zero Two, Nagatoro BUT I also effing LOVE Urabe Mikoto and Satou's Aunt from Happy Sugar Life (now THAT'S a woman!!!)  

Jan 17, 2023 1:36 AM

Dec 2022
Most people falsely think "waifu" means "attractive anime girl", so yes. It's the expected result when people memeify words with established meanings; they water them down until they no longer have any utility or definition.

Shaded Horizon

Jan 17, 2023 1:50 AM

Nov 2022
Waifu is a girl you would want to date/marry/fuck unironically. So or course wife material waifus would be popular.

I think I have couple of really obscure ones:

Moyoko Gotou
and
Ran Mao
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 17, 2023 1:57 AM

Jun 2017
Since my waifu is mainstream (Hayasaka from Love is War) I don't think so.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Jan 17, 2023 1:58 AM

Jul 2015
Well, most of my favourite waifus are not that popular or are overshadowed by others in their respective series, yet I don't think any less of anyone else's preferences.
Unless it's a Yellow Thing from Symphogear.. Then your taste is objectively garbage and you should reevaluate it.

Jan 17, 2023 2:36 AM

Feb 2020
I know Holo has a lot of favs but is she mainstream anymore because that's my waifu?

But I agree to an extent but at the same time I don't really care all that much.
Jan 17, 2023 2:37 AM

Jul 2021
Mainstream waifu means that a lot of people have it, by the definition of mainstream.
Jan 17, 2023 2:46 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
That's right.. When I liked Maki zenin, she had 4 fanarts on pixiv.. All Manga style.. Less than 5 favorites on Mal, I checked to see who her voice actress was gonna be, so I remember even though I wasn't on Mal..now I've to fend off competition from people as so many people like her..even women like her..
She was my type kuro kami no Megane bijin+ loves kicking ass and Yankee shithousery

Now she is so popular, so many people on Twitter call her waifu..
It was same with hizuru...

Jan 17, 2023 2:51 AM

Jul 2013
ryo-san said:
That's right.. When I liked Maki zenin, she had 4 fanarts on pixiv.. All Manga style.. Less than 5 favorites on Mal, I checked to see who her voice actress was gonna be, so I remember even though I wasn't on Mal..now I've to fend off competition from people as so many people like her..even women like her..
She was my type kuro kami no Megane bijin+ loves kicking ass and Yankee shithousery

Now she is so popular, so many people on Twitter call her waifu..
It was same with hizuru...

you're so cool man that's awesome, I like that
Jan 17, 2023 3:57 AM

May 2018
"cultured/controversial"

- Cultured or "cultured"? Why not both?
- Is being controversial necessary a good thing? Juts for the sake of it?

JaniSIr said:
Mainstream waifu means that a lot of people have it, by the definition of mainstream.

But it's an independent copy inside your imagination...
Jan 17, 2023 4:20 AM

Aug 2018
I like my waifus to be pure and untainted like fresh mountain snow.
Jan 17, 2023 7:13 AM

Feb 2018
... Indeed; a Pure, Wholesome little Oreo Cookie, like my Wife, here;

She even comes Complete with a Luscious Cream Filling♥

Jan 17, 2023 7:19 AM

Mar 2021
I have Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-under-Blade as my waifu
I have been labelled as many things because of her
Me don't think she is mainstream
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - Yesterday

22 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

91 by FedeMetal »»
3 minutes ago

» any good anime wallpapers or anime wallpaper sites?

KingUmarBashir - Apr 27, 2018

15 by grikdude »»
7 minutes ago

» How did the (first 10) anime end up on your favorites list?

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

32 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
31 minutes ago

» What anime or anime episodes give you a nostalgic autumn feeling?

heyaheya - 2 hours ago

7 by MinakoBestGirl »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.