Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 27, 2019 12:10 AM

Nov 2019
What a thrilling episode 9/10 <3
I was nervous because of the first two bomb ass performances but our gang pulled through with an even better performance my eyes actually watered a little...
That shit was BEAUTIFUL
and Houzuki's mom showed up T_T I can't wait to see there conversation in the next episode!
Dec 27, 2019 12:11 AM

Nov 2019
Ant161718 said:
It was a really wonderful performance, it shocked me how beautiful it was interpreted, such a perfect sound. Now I can say koto instrument it is marvelous.

Agreed sis the koto is heavenly! <3
Dec 27, 2019 10:40 PM

Oct 2008
Tenkyu = absolute koto perfection!
eat that you critic scummers! lolz
Whatever the judges decision win or lose, their performance was top notch and not to be messed with especially critics scums!
5/5!

Dec 28, 2019 5:44 AM

Oct 2017
A single episode that's NOT finale bumping the mean score by 0.16 truly shows how impressive this episode is.

After the finale which many people who didn't vote will start voting would probably bump the score even higher :) Can't wait.
Dec 28, 2019 8:31 AM
Apr 2018
I need this piece (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`) the way that was played is giving really great feels damnit. Its so wonderful hearing that performance after reading the manga, this is why anime is needed.
Dec 28, 2019 9:31 AM

Nov 2016
Ok, I wasn't really capitivated by the previous two performances, but the music in this one was a completely different tier, leaving the audience absolutely overwhelmed for a few moments. Even that salty grandma was moved xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 29, 2019 3:36 PM

Mar 2009
Damn. What a beautiful episode.
Dec 30, 2019 7:39 AM

Mar 2017
Ohmy my heart literally skipped a beat and I had goosebumps while watching their performance, it was so good ;_;

I feel like cryinggggg
5/5

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Dec 31, 2019 7:19 AM
N/A

Jan 2014
Ahhh.. Tenkyu was a breathtaking performance.
Dec 31, 2019 10:27 PM
Jan 2019
I cried while rewatching it, it was a beautiful piece and performance
I should start learning Koto as well, but I can't read Japanese
the koto instruments in our warehouse were waiting for its owner but I guest it will rot there for internity if it's not taken care of (what instrument should I choose piano, violin or koto? those threes were hard to learn)
Anoo-DominiDec 31, 2019 10:55 PM
Jan 1, 2020 2:00 PM

Oct 2017
Tygenki said:
Ant161718 said:
It was a really wonderful performance, it shocked me how beautiful it was interpreted, such a perfect sound. Now I can say koto instrument it is marvelous.

Agreed sis the koto is heavenly! <3
Yes! Pretty nice find you on the posts Tygenki!
-¡Give yourself to me!
Jan 3, 2020 7:03 AM

May 2018
This is easily the best single episode of 2019 together with Kimetsu no Yaiba episode 19.
Jan 3, 2020 10:16 AM

Oct 2017
Gorochu said:
This is easily the best single episode of 2019 together with Kimetsu no Yaiba episode 19.

You and me both, you and me both :D

Like seriously when an episode you can rewatch so many time without getting tired, it is really something.
Jan 3, 2020 5:33 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
This episode solidified how Sakura-sensei's writing is superb and heartfelt. The anime adaptation is not the best looking thing there is. Stills are often used (as in other anime, but it's more noticeable here), characters are also off-model throughout the episodes, etc. Despite this, I still get incredibly emotional time and time again. I'd tear up out of nowhere. This episode, it's not out of nowhere, it was meant to be emotional, and it hit hard. I cried once before, but the anime really hit out of out the park with Tenkyuu and the voiceovers. Yes, every single anime with music does this, but this performance definitely had more impact than just reading the manga.

Tenkyuu is such a beautiful piece, I remember crying when I first heard it from the SQ Jump YouTube channel, and it still makes me emotional. So many feelings from different characters, Satowa's peace with herself, the club having fun and wanting to go to the nationals, Satowa's mother facing her daughter, Kazusa's guilt for looking down on Chika, and the general awe of the audience (especially the grandma!). I have to say though, if Tenkyuu didn't sound the way it did, it could've been rather so-so. But I'm glad the composer was able to compose something that portrays the exact feeling of Sakura-sensei's scenes.
Jan 11, 2020 6:52 AM

Dec 2016
That was amazing!! They have blown away the audience with their gentle performance, which was wonderful ;w; Beautiful episode! I am wondering how Hozuki's mom will tell her >.> Too curious!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Feb 5, 2020 7:19 PM

Aug 2017
It was obvious that they were going to beat the rest. Great performance!

4/5
NurguburuFeb 5, 2020 7:22 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 7, 2020 11:30 AM

Jul 2015
Amazing performance, really gave me the goosbumps hearing them play. They really have gotten good compared to the start where only Takezou and Satowa could play

Feb 20, 2020 1:46 PM
Sep 2018
It's clear from a couple of the comments that some of the 4/5 votes for this episode are legit.
Some of them, but not all.

I still can't believe any of the 3/5, 2/5, and 1/5 votes are legit.
Anyone who really would feel that way, wouldn't have continued watching this anime this far into the 2nd season.
Mar 21, 2020 8:17 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Shattering performance, that sound was so beautiful it got to me and I shed quite some tears...
The performers outdid themselves and actually made justice to the English name of the anime.
I need that OST in my life now!
Mar 22, 2020 3:11 AM

Oct 2009
Their performance was mesmerazing and touching. Simply great! =D
Apr 11, 2020 6:39 AM
Jun 2015
I started sobbing that song was so beautiful :')
Aside from the dialogue over the koto playing, I started crying because I was just imagining that I was under a cherry blossom tree with light rain
May 19, 2020 11:06 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really wonderful scene, first half was incredible, I hope her mother will be great for the last episode
Jul 7, 2020 9:41 PM
Feb 2019
Me, commenting this after lik... At this point I just rewatched it.
xD

"The theme moves from one part to another each two times!"
"High level techniques are used in key points."
"But they play in a way we don't pay attention to that by completely hiding the hardship of their performance. That's how music should be."

The best dialogue of the series so far, by far
Sorry if there's some mistraduction, I watched it with a spanish sub

The first time I watched it, I finished with a breathless feeling, this second time, after having heard the song sometimes, the same happens with the performance, so yeah, it's a masterful episode.

I love the fact that this is a big payoff, all of the season till this point has been a slow burn ride, building up some key plot points, placing some dots here and there, and then we arrive to this point and we see everything tie together, while we hear in the background the piece they've been working so hard for, and at the end it's just... so beautiful.
There were some little moments that were really good like Takezo's senpai watching them play, Kasuza seeing how good the club complemented Satowa, Akira's grandmother recognizing the talent of those who she considered scum, or Mio standing up after their performance (that little change in the OP was good), these small details gave a lot of strenght to this episode, it was a good focus on lesser charaters of the show. Coming back at our main group, all the club members were given some spotlight, and I liked that, but this episode was for our original trio, Takezo, Chika and Hozuki, with a major focus on the latter; it was a fast, even small moment, but Takezo remembering how he wanted to give everything of him with the club was good, then he claiming how comfortable he felt by their side and don't wanting it to stop was heartwarming, he surely has built strong bonds with his mates, and it becomes pretty clear here; on the other hand, Chika this time had his spotlight after the performance, as he's the one who without a doubt decides to go on seeking for Hozuki's mother, we already know it, but it's always amazing to see, behind that rude and mean facade, that kind and genuine side of him, their bond surely has grown up strong (that ship is gonna sail, it may even be at the very end of the story, but it's gonna sail for sure), also, that little moment remembering his grandfather's words, those about how playing with those strong bonds you have is unique, was a great callback. And at the end, the primary focus of the episode, Hozuki, and how the relationship with her mother molds her: each side is actually scared of confronting the other, and that has become a huge barrier in their path, more than the honour of a great master or a great prodigy, what they've broken is their bond, it's hard for them to find a way to fix it, and all the monologue we witnessed proves it, it's really complex what ties them and at the same time split them apart, and still they push forward in order to fix some of it, or at least try it, moments like the mother entering the hall and Hozuki being full of joy for it are really powerfull; then we get that cliffhanger, oh boy, next episode will be wild.
Also, this moment was priceless:

No publicy intended
Yep, I should active Windows

By the technical side...
Tenkyuu. That's the only word necessary to understand all the production problems we've saw throughout this season; no really, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the budget went into this piece, the amount of complexity is pretty clear even for someone with very litte knowledge in music like me, this surely wasn't easy to achieve. At the end it was all very worthy, I didn't really cared about the animation problems thus far as I was sold with the plot, but man, they delivered this episode. 8 minutes of pure greatness, Tenkyuu is insanely good.
The directing this episode is top tier, in spite of constantly jumping back and forth between so many scenes, all diferent kind of perspectives, it doesn't lose the momentum neither it feels overwhelming, the balance it's really good, the cuts are smooth and maintain a good rhythm, and the music piece finish to mix it all, I love the fact the performance feels like one single scene, despite of how big it's in duration and content; the latter part of the episode, though much more soft, was still great, there's a sense of urgency for finding Hozuki's mother, and it becomes tense when mother and daughter finally encounter. The animation was great too, despite some problems still visibles in some frames (yes, even in this episode we see some of the usual problems with animation), it delivered really well, there was a good amount of shots detailing the actual playing of the koto, it added some immersion with the effort put into it (I wonder if it's actually correct with the sheet of Tenkyuu), and the atmosphere was beautifully conveyed, it was given a bigger sense of majesty to their performance with the water filters, the imagery of the cherry blossoms and some more abstract effects that nailed the whole scene. Also, it's completely understandable, but I think there isn't enough credit given to the OST nonetheless, yeah, Tenkyuu it's by far the best of it, it's really amazing, but the normal OST in this episode was excelent also: the drums at the begining did a good job hyping us for the upcoming presentation, that victorious yet soft piece when everyone began clapping was beautiful, those sweet flutes when they're searching for Hozuki's mother, the synth at the end when Honzuki and her mother reunite, and those strings when Hozuki's mother arrives for their presentation, it really boost the emotional power of that scene.

Last but not least, lol at the fake reporter (and Isaki and Takezo's senpai later) crying over Tokise's performance, and later at Akira claiming to help them find Hozuki's mother.

This is without doubt the best episode of the series. Completely outstanding.
10/10

The only thing I do at the fact that this post actually took me like thrice (surely more) the time of watching the episode is laughing. I should make these shorter.
mafd12Jul 7, 2020 10:00 PM
Aug 23, 2020 5:30 PM
Oct 2019
Beautiful performance. Truly enjoyed the song.

I forgot about the old Hozuki school women that were outside until they stepped back in. In yo faces.
Sep 7, 2020 10:32 AM
May 2018
tsubasalover said:
Mother of koto girl back just in time for her daughter's school's performance. Same song different feeling and it even caught that guy, who lost interest in other school, interest. Every audience listening with awe and tears (as if koto girl's feeling then finally delivered) with their performance. Even that old lady's seeing light after the performance?!

No clap until Aoi-san's character did. It got them worried.

Everyone helping koto girl finding her mother. They finally met.

One more ep. Hugging time next?

koto girl🤣🤣 and she's even the main character😆
Oct 14, 2020 8:57 AM

Aug 2010
That was a breathtaking performance.
Nov 2, 2020 1:38 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I love the delayed applause. The whole audience was just so stunned it took them awhile to come back to their senses

I also like how adviser sensei whatever honestly called their performance “so-so”, or mediocre. It was like he was saying that it was relative to their potential, that compared to what they’re capable of in the future, today was just, fine.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 15, 2021 2:50 AM

Apr 2009
These vulgar delinquents can... LOL Well that's what I was waiting for anyway!

The old dude from the classical magazine sums it all, he looked shocked at the beginning, constipated at the middle and relieved at the ending though he was crying after all of it. XD

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 15, 2021 11:30 AM

Mar 2018
Well, if there was any doubt in my mind that this season was a 10/10 for me, this episode sure as hell finished it off.

Each and every moment, flashback, thought, crafted perfectly to evoke so much emotion.
Celest__Jan 15, 2021 11:48 AM
Feb 22, 2021 5:09 AM

Jun 2020
Beautiful performance! I was already tearing up & Houzuki’s final note was so soft & tender I just ended up crying (;´༎ຶٹ༎ຶ`)

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Mar 21, 2021 7:09 AM

May 2020
Brilliant performance! Definitely is their best performance so far
Mar 31, 2021 10:01 AM

Aug 2014
That was so beaitiful. I watched this show up to this point without ever posting about it.
I had to instantly rewatch a second time because of the music before even finishing the episode. I had to suppress the urge to rewatch a third time because I was compelled by the story.

Quickliy, someone please tell me where I can find this musical piece - Youtuibe, Spotify, anything.
I really hope this wasn't an anime original that is not available anywhere else.
May 1, 2021 2:49 PM
Dec 2013
I'm just watching this now and I don't know if I've ever seen a series build up to a moment like this and absolutely nail it. Everything this show was all come together in this single episode and I was left speechless just as that audience was.
Aug 24, 2021 9:51 AM

Jul 2017
Magical performance this was. Am definitely gonna listen to Tenkyu a few times today after finishing this rewatch. I didn't cry like the audience but I did feel the heart and soul the Tokise bunch put into their performance, and that's what matters.
Nov 6, 2021 5:19 AM

May 2020
Man the performance was expected to be good but not this much, even the audience weren't able to control their emotions. Easily the best episode of this season or I can say of this series.
Now just one more to go and there are results too. Hope everything ends on a good note.
Jun 4, 2022 2:27 PM

Jul 2012
Unbelievable. What an amazing and gorgeous scene. I was completely mesmerized and sat there in awe. It felt so magical and enchanting. Then, there's the music. Wow. WOW. I've been waiting to hear something spectacular like this since the first episode and it was certainly worth the wait. You could feel the emotion, heart, and soul poured into the piece.

It's beautiful how the music connects with the characters and the story. Absolutely beautiful.
Jun 16, 2022 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, I had tears in my eye. Their (The Tokise Koto Club) performance was outstanding.

Also, Hozuki Satowa is finally reuniting with her mother.
Jul 21, 2022 3:14 AM
May 2020
Like one of the judges said, a good song will touch anyone's heart regardless of the instrument. This one, I hardly know anything about Koto, but Tenkyu was really touching that I teared up a bit even though I'm stone-faced. Truly beautiful.
Oct 29, 2022 9:31 PM
Sep 2022
Amazing and Beautiful
Feb 3, 2023 10:40 PM

Apr 2015
Beautiful & Unbelievable
Jul 12, 2023 11:20 AM
Apr 2023
Que musica linda, o anime só cresce a cada episodio.
Aug 17, 2023 7:35 AM

Oct 2021
It was amazing! Damn man, best episode. Adding this anime to my favoriates
Mar 19, 5:31 PM

Mar 2019
It's not surprising to call this the best episode so far, at least in season 2. The song was nice and the OSTs used were also amazing and elevated everything, but it wasn't as emotional as Chika's part in season 1. Overall an amazing episode, the way the the episode progressed, showing us what they were thinking while playing and the reactions of the listeners, the late claps and that ending, all of these were so good.

Takinami and Akira were also great, I can't get enough of Takinami praising them and seeing Akira be happy, if only she could play alongside them.

Now it's time. The only thing left is the announcement, can't wait for that.
Alex_TheForestMar 21, 4:14 PM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

120 by Crowfinger »»
Sep 12, 7:08 AM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2019

50 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Aug 25, 6:09 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

50 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Aug 25, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2019

80 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Aug 16, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2019

83 by mo_lave »»
Jun 22, 9:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.