Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 6, 2019 8:18 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, the anime is back and right off the bat, we got a flashback episode from 12 years ago.

Honestly, I kinda see what they're aiming for to flesh out the main characters again but at this point, I wish they build more into the present story. Regardless, it's reaffirming the importance of Marlya and Veronica's relationship in this franchise.

I'm going to keep my expectations low for the second season but really, really hope it improves.
Oct 6, 2019 10:23 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I really like the OP, it's catchy.
For the episode it was some backstory about Marlya past etc be we already know it so this episode was a little useless.
I don't expect this season to be good while I hated the S1 but I keep hopes for it to be at least fine.
Oct 6, 2019 10:24 AM
Sep 2015
I know Ray Dawn burn down the village, but I don't expect him to kill every single villager, his sin is too much for me to like him
Oct 6, 2019 10:40 AM

Sep 2009
Good episode overall. I am in minority, probably, but I really like this series.

The only complaint is this: official English subs for this ep. were quite bad.
Oct 6, 2019 10:44 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Seems that the village that served as home for Marlya, Ray and Veronica was quite a special place. Its nice that we got to see what Marlya's parents were like though i wished it was under better circumstances. The insight into what Ray's father was like as well was also insightful. Still to lose both her parents before growing up sure was a hard blow to Marlya and even more so when she's seen as the cursed child. Still this served to make the meeting between her and Ver that much more sweet. Even though it was already an historic event seeing village that served as their home be burned down and its people be slaughtered by Ray's forces sure was brutal. A strong ep that did well on expanding both the lore and of the backgrounds of Ray and Marlya by showing their past both their happy memories and ones that ultimately led Ray to commit the ultimate Sin. While featuring little action this ep served to introduce some much expansion on the two characters that were lacking back in s1. Curious to see what direction the series will go now though. Really liked the art style used in the ending visuals as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2019 11:43 AM

Jun 2014
This first episode gave us a better look at Marlya, Ver, and Ray's background stories. We actually got to see a bit of what Marlya's parents were like and how the village treated her after the death of her parents and her being seen as a cursed child. Ver was treated like a princess and yet she is nothing like she was as a kid.

I can understand completely why both Marlya and Ver hate Ray so much! He not only ordered the destruction of his hometown, but also the genocide of the entire village. He definitely committed a grave sin that should not be overlooked. Him being treated as a hero and having people chanting his name is appalling!

I really hope that both Marlya and Ver are able to get their just dessert with someone killing Ray this season.
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 6, 2019 11:47 AM

Aug 2013
Quite an important backstory episode about Marlya and Ray.

Oct 6, 2019 11:47 AM

Jul 2019
Great episode compared to most of season 1. Someone clearly has read a book or two and there is now a line of suspense - all despite this being more of a summaritive episode. Character building has improved also, to be honest I had already forgotten the versee's name was Veronica. Here we had quite a bunch of likeable characters.

I am quite hopeful after seeing this episode.
Oct 6, 2019 12:16 PM

Jul 2015
Was there a point of murdering entire village?
Or should I just dismiss it as a plot hole or author desperately needing s villain?

Oct 6, 2019 12:39 PM

Dec 2015
I liked the episode. Can't give more than a 4/5 though. Liked the sound and visuals and the background. Unfortunately this series seems to have a habit of doing long flashbacks (already in previous cour) ... which is a bad thing for storytelling. Better would have been some short flashbacks every now and then. And then more cleverly timed. Would have loved to see that one about Ray Dawn much earlier.

I only hope witht his they finished most background stuff and are going to focus on the plot - and maybe some talking between Maria and Veronica and Ray Dawn. Guess Maria will fight Veronica to defend Ray Dawn - next episode. Then talknig with Ray.

And thb Ray looked a bit young in the flashback as child when Maria was born. Weird ... you would have expected him to be already older - cause now it seems like there is a bigger age gap. (Or Maria is older and just looks too younc compared to him or the birth of her was a bit later and not when the brothers - Ray and Jurgen - were in the forest.)
Oct 6, 2019 12:41 PM
Jul 2019
Well then, if it isn't Marlya and Veronica's backstory, and from the looks of it they seem to have a yuri thing for each other.
Oct 6, 2019 1:08 PM
Mar 2015
nice back story showing the relation of Marlya ,Ver and Ray Dawn
Oct 6, 2019 1:32 PM

Dec 2018
That episode was so good! ,,,,Only reason why i watch this is because of the lesbians, and now they have a fun little date in the forest with a lot of flirting and heartwarming cute moments ,,and then tragedy struck. This episode have a little bit of everything and the lighting effected are stunning as always when it comes to Fairy Gone!!

And hopefully the lesbian lovebirds will be reunited in a near future, Great episode i give you 8/10 Good job!! I will definitely be watching next week!

Yuri-CrusaderOct 6, 2019 1:36 PM
Oct 6, 2019 3:06 PM
Apr 2016
You know me, when I see crap labeled as "art" I come forth and signal the horns of critique... which is why I am here, again!
But I have nothing new to say. It's still the same lacking in sophistry, one-dimensional series that deals with well seasoned tropes. The characters, when are not heard, remain bland and lacking of emotions. The turns and transitions are generic and were not enhanced with the skill of the studio's staff, as it lacks any. Mundane, simple, unoriginal... and yet I hope everyone has a nice ride and something to smile for at the end of it.

Now just dropping all the theories so everyone can bath in the light of my grandeur three months later:
Ray Dawn fails to achieve his goals, perishes while trying, but is forgiven by everyone and Marliya even sheds tears for him.
Beeve Liscar is just destroyed that is a stupid character with a stupid archetype that is real nevertheless.
Wolfran does something stupid to suddenly protect the main characters and perishes as well.
Ministry of fairies gets abolished and a better research and control entity is erected, which is going to ensure the dark fears of Ray Dawn's never come to pass.
Marliya and Veronika reunite and retire to have a quiet life while the other good guys maintain their main job of protecting the public from fairies-based crimes.
CeissaDesiste said:
This first episode gave us a better look at Marlya, Ver, and Ray's background stories. We actually got to see a bit of what Marlya's parents were like and how the village treated her after the death of her parents and her being seen as a cursed child. Ver was treated like a princess and yet she is nothing like she was as a kid.

I can understand completely why both Marlya and Ver hate Ray so much! He not only ordered the destruction of his hometown, but also the genocide of the entire village. He definitely committed a grave sin that should not be overlooked. Him being treated as a hero and having people chanting his name is appalling!

I really hope that both Marlya and Ver are able to get their just dessert with someone killing Ray this season.

Important note, by the end of this episode Marliya says about the past being unchangeable, which implies that she is losing her hatred for Ray Dawn (while she did hate him, she did not want to just murder him). After he saved the Emperor and protected the state from a coup d'etat he certainly gained points with a lot of people.
Daniel_NaumovOct 6, 2019 3:12 PM
Re:formed
Oct 6, 2019 3:43 PM

Mar 2019
Leo said:
Quite an important backstory episode about Marlya and Ray.

I really don't know why this episode waited the second season to appear. It seems so late for this flashback. The characters would be more important to the viewers that way.
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Oct 6, 2019 4:18 PM

Apr 2009
well am i thinking that Ray D*ckhead is a terrorist in this anime i had seen the first ep of the 1st half and what he did there was more of a war crime he made a genocide to kill many people which he can't forget it and he's just a sinner that should be hated and Ray Dawn should not be called a hero he's a murderer and i'm not going to watch the 2nd half of this sh*t it's still a traumatizing series to be dealth with i will watch something better instead :p
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Oct 6, 2019 5:09 PM

Mar 2019
Glad they used (K)NoW_Name for the OP song again, absolutely loved it in the first season. Can't say the show itself has gotten any better though. Which is disappointing, cause I'm interested in the world itself but the story it just feels so messily done.
Oct 6, 2019 6:23 PM

Oct 2008
Nice! Impressive Second Season starter episode!
i teared-up of the OST and Maryla's childhood flashback!
5/5.

Oct 6, 2019 6:43 PM

Feb 2019
Bro fuck ray dawn. Op 2 is trash ngl but the ED is fire. I wish Know name’s music was licensed on Apple Music. I feel like when it comes to direction of the series, the staff is like when you show a teacher a rough draft and they tell you what to fix but you’re like nah fuck it because you’ve already put so much time into it.

A lot of the cuts and direction could be done a lot better also the name dropping is still too much. That said I loved the backstory episode that we had been teased for weeks, now we finally understand the hatred. Despite what people say, I love this series, 8/10 first episode for me.
Oct 6, 2019 6:44 PM

Feb 2019
Swizze said:
Glad they used (K)NoW_Name for the OP song again, absolutely loved it in the first season. Can't say the show itself has gotten any better though. Which is disappointing, cause I'm interested in the world itself but the story it just feels so messily done.

yea it seems like they already had the whole 24 episodes done and was just like fuck it, we aren't gonna change anything, too much time
Oct 6, 2019 8:48 PM

Jul 2017
For a first episode that's technically Episode 13 the continuation, I'd say that this backstory of Ray Dawn, Marlya, Veronica, and the people related to the fairies, along with the devout town that houses them (that is Suna) that they now wield, is an EXTREMELY important one.

Knowing how Marlya is constantly being heralded as the "Cursed Child" in the 1st cour, this backstory is justice to how she is raised from the lifeblood of her parents. And seemingly, Ray Dawn (then a commander turned Kal-O governor) was also caught up in this hellfire, with his brother guardian Jürgen taking up the responsibility to nurture Marlya, and Veronica meeting her in that fated fairy forest, absolutely devoid of her status. Both cursed and blessed children respectively, Marlya and Veronica are like the Yin and Yang.

And the absolute trademark of Ray Dawn, is to annihilate the Suna village and the people in "excessive force" of the threat of the fairies, all for his own gains. That's how we got to how Episode 1 started the way it is without prior knowledge. "Show, don't tell" huh. There's no point for a revenge show if Ray Dawn doesn't get what he deserves for destroying both Marlya and Veronica's childhood.

OP is trash, but ED was better than last.

This was a legit episode, honest to God. Starting this episode finally answers most questions we had for the 1st cour, and going forward.
Oct 6, 2019 9:01 PM

Aug 2013
Honestly, I'm not even sure how to feel off of this. For starters, (K)NoW_Name's music is the best part of the series. Nice to know this second season will likely feature their entire next album if they do insert song hell again. Getting into the episode, the fact that we are just now getting a backstory into our MC, Ver, and this guy who is supposed to be the villain but isn't or something so late into the story shows how poorly planned this plot is. Yes it delivers answers, but given the structure of the story it's like...okay now you're trying to make us care? Honestly they should not have had flashback hell throughout the entire first cour. Then again, we have a convoluted mess of backstories that still don't make sense and 11 episodes to sort it out. I don't know....I feel like I could care enough to watch this through to the end but honestly, it's sad how this project is turning out.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 6, 2019 9:24 PM

Apr 2009
Ah I thought this was a good episode. Finally saw Marlya's parents and how they died. So Ray dawn's brother helped raise Marlya. We learned more so exactly where the "cursed child" stigma came from too. F Ray Dawn tho, what's sad is their probably will be no real justice for those people they slaughtered.. The CGI and animation was kinda bad this episode. A little more than usual I think. I don't like the new op song as much as Knock on the Core but oh well.
DreddOct 6, 2019 9:35 PM
Oct 6, 2019 9:33 PM

Apr 2016
Way more promising than Part 1. This should've been the first episode of the series.
Oct 6, 2019 10:13 PM

Aug 2018
It could have been the last episode of first season. At least we finally received a lot of background/backstory informations, it clearly explained Marlya's reactions in presence of Ray Dawn. Actually, she kinda became her niece since she was raised by Jurgen Dawn. I hope we will have more interactions between these 2 characters, or even these 3 characters with Ver.
Oct 6, 2019 10:51 PM

Oct 2017
Well this was a great episode, we finally learnt about what actually happened in Marlya, Ver and Ray dawn's past and Marlya's parents were shown too.
Oct 7, 2019 6:02 AM

Apr 2017
Yuri-Crusader said:
That episode was so good! ,,,,Only reason why i watch this is because of the lesbians, and now they have a fun little date in the forest with a lot of flirting and heartwarming cute moments

I like where your motivation lies

Oct 7, 2019 6:43 AM

Feb 2014
A decent episode to start off the second season of Fairy Gone. =)

This episode felt more of an expanded version of the 1st season's first episode in what we already know about the Suna people, Marlya being a cursed child and Veronica being a blessed child.

But it was nice to see more of Ray's past as a kid and how he and his brother grew up in the Suna village. Sane goes for their father and how they did their best to fend off the massive beast fairy. Sadly, the fairy was able kill off Marlya's father at the same time she was born and her mother also passed away shortly afterwards. Poor girl... =(

While the CGI is decent at best, the production values seem to be slightly better than the 1st season, although it's probably too early to conclude on that. I'm just hoping that P.A Works can keep this effort up for this second season again.

The new OP from (K)now Name was good, but it doesn't match the intensity of the previous one, but the new ED from them is better than the previous season's ED, so I'm satisfied either way. =)
Oct 7, 2019 7:08 AM

May 2012
This look like a decent start for 2nd season
Oct 7, 2019 10:41 AM

Mar 2016
Well at least the OP and the ED sound pretty good. Story still feels like crap.
Oct 7, 2019 10:50 AM

Nov 2009
Starting with a lengthy flashback was probably not a very good idea... I get that it's necessary but still, it was the first episode, something more dynamic and lively would have worked better.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Oct 7, 2019 1:21 PM

Apr 2016
An ok episode, it seems a weird start because it seems to me that all what was in this episode was already shown in the first season.
Oct 7, 2019 2:02 PM

Nov 2016
So basically my conclussion about this first episode and the first season is that Marlya is fuckin stupid and egoist. not going to tell why here, is quite long.
Oct 7, 2019 3:30 PM

Jul 2013
This was a very good episode. We got a lot of details on what happened during the first cour. IMHO, this second cour gonna (have to) be very different from the first one in terms of pacing and character development.

I'm predicting less introduction and more resolution. They gonna accelerate the pacing and develop the plot towards a good ending, we already know too much of all the characters.

I just hope they use the entire 12 episodes very accordingly and don't put something like a Recap in this. That would be a waste of time.
Gotta update this soon™
Oct 7, 2019 5:13 PM

Mar 2013
a'ight well i trust from seeing the rating that all the people who hated this shit fucked off and didn't stick around for round 2
Oct 7, 2019 8:49 PM

Jan 2017
That flashback of Marlya and Veronica would've been really useful sometime during the 1st cour. The actual episode itself was okay and a nice start to the 2nd cour.
Oct 7, 2019 10:06 PM

Oct 2010
Hm. Really lot sure if I should pick this up after how bad the first season was. Reception seems mixed lol

Kinda unrelated but how do I fix the theme songs? They're credited to the wrong artists (kinda). They listed the vocalist of (K)NoW_NAME when it should be credited to just (K)NoW_NAME as a whole. The way its listed now is as if someone listed a Nirvana song as by 'Nirvana: Kurt Cobain" https://music.apple.com/jp/album/1481420144?app=itunes

https://mora.jp/package/43000033/A77345/

Can see here it's just (K)NoW_NAME
Oct 8, 2019 6:04 AM
May 2017
Yay, Fairy Gone is back. I kinda liked the first season too, I think the first 5 episodes were really good, but then after that, it abandoned the main storyline and went on some political drama detour. Now we are back to the main story, which is probably a lot better.

I know this is basically a flashback episode, but it is helping us to connect all the hints we got previous season to know what did really happen at the very beginning. It is arguable if they should have started with this in the first place, but I was alright with the way they presented it, it added a lot to the mystery element.

I know the show is not perfect, but the way it is presented is quite unique, and I would rather watch an imperfect show with new, uniqe ideas, than a perfectly executed basic isekai/harem/shounen show.

I'll miss the old ED music tho :'(
imSOuniqueOct 8, 2019 6:10 AM
Oct 8, 2019 5:59 PM

Jul 2016
Fairy Gone was like the definition of a super average show. However, I really did enjoy this first episode. If other episodes are somewhat similar in quality, it should be a good season.

I wasn't sure if I would watch season 2. At very least, they got me into wanting to watch episode 2.

Oct 9, 2019 4:17 AM

Apr 2011
Great episode- finally have a lot of answers, and I finally care when Marlya calls herself cursed. That old Witch who labelled her as such deserved what she got in the end imo (as dark as that is).

Now gimme some more backstory for Free- and I think that this anime can potentially end up as being something special.
(I did really like the first season)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Oct 9, 2019 6:08 AM

Aug 2018
I would have thought this type of episode would have been featured in the 1st half of the season, but it was alright.
I find myself again drawn into the world that's been created and want to know more about it, but the delivery of the story line ended up being quite off putting for me. I hope it improves this half of the season.
Oct 9, 2019 5:25 PM

Jul 2017
Was there seriously any reason for any of Marlya's flashbacks last season, when this one literally showed the entire thing? Geez this flashback was a perfect execution but there was completely no point of the flashbacks in the 1st one if this one basically highlighted everything

Well at least KnY has competition for most flashbacks inserted just because
Oct 9, 2019 6:43 PM
Jan 2019
As in the first season, the new OP and ED are great.
What a great start to the second season, I hope the subsequent episodes will be just as good or even better. The first season left much to be desired, hopefully this time exceeds our expectations.

Regarding the episode, they finally explained why Marlya thinks she is cursed, and what Ray Dawn did with the people of Suna. He is a damn madman, he took his ideals too far and in the worst way, that bastard deserves death.
That's why I don't believe in superstitions, they make people stupid.
Oct 10, 2019 10:24 PM
Jan 2018
I actually really liked this episode. We got a lot more information about Ray. Ver, and Maryla, which was needed. I didn’t know Ray ordered everyone to be killed too. How brutal. I honestly hate him so much. Plus, all the changing after watching that made it 10x’s worse. I hope Ver and Mariya get to pay him back for the hell he put them through.
I feel so bad for Mariya. She didn’t kill her parents. It’s not her fault and yet she’s being called a cursed child. But honestly, why didn’t the guy that didn’t have a child coming volunteer to distract the big ass bear? Like duh. You don’t let a soon to be sad get caught up in a situation where he’s most likely to die. That irks me...overall, I think it was a great first episode to season 2. I’m hoping for a better season!
Oct 11, 2019 12:18 AM

Aug 2017
What a great start of this second season. I was not very fond of the first season to be honest, but I am watching the sequel because of Marlya and Veronica. This episode focused on them a little and it was precious. Loved the ending and Veronica's rebellious attitude.
Oct 12, 2019 10:22 AM

Aug 2012
I agree with Ray that both the fairies and Suna adults had to die. They were insane worshiping fairies and sacrificing children to them. Also Marla is not cursed but blessed. She is blessed with surviving. Unfortunately sometimes this means watching people close to you dying.when people close to you suffer misfortune and you are spared some see you are the cause no that you are blessed with survival
Oct 13, 2019 9:26 PM
Sep 2016
This was
nightcrawlercyp said:
I agree with Ray that both the fairies and Suna adults had to die. They were insane worshiping fairies and sacrificing children to them. Also Marla is not cursed but blessed. She is blessed with surviving. Unfortunately sometimes this means watching people close to you dying.when people close to you suffer misfortune and you are spared some see you are the cause no that you are blessed with survival

That's an...interesting take, but I don't know if outright committing genocide would be the solution. However you do have a point about Marlya. She's learned through her time at Dorothea how her fate is what she makes of it, not the oppressive circumstances that surrounded her childhood. While Ver was raised by someone who probably hates Ray for destroying Suna more than she does.
Oct 14, 2019 7:19 AM

Jan 2017
The pacing of this anime is really bad... This should be ep 5 - 7 of season 1, just to add some backstory to the characters and how everyone links together.
Oct 15, 2019 9:37 AM
Oct 2017
The only good episode in this series so far. So sad with all of that wasted potential.
Oct 29, 2019 2:16 PM

Jul 2009
For me it's clear that even Maryla should try to kill Ray.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Gone 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2019

67 by baahsu »»
Dec 17, 2023 5:12 PM

Poll: » Fairy Gone 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

24 by Kap92 »»
Aug 15, 2021 5:26 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

21 by Kap92 »»
Aug 15, 2021 5:26 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

26 by Kap92 »»
Aug 15, 2021 5:25 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

21 by Kap92 »»
Aug 15, 2021 5:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.