Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2018 10:06 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
For me, watch again Kircheis with life, it´s a pleasure!!!
I liked the Yang Voice too!!!
Apr 3, 2018 10:10 AM

Aug 2015
Rievlyne said:
Signifie said:

The tactics used are two-dimensional and aren't exactly complex, but simplifying them like that is an understatement. Tactical wasn't the best word to use but I was referring to things like the sheer scale of the wars, the buildup to battles, the political disputes, the implications and effects of war, and the perspectives that are followed throughout that all tie together. A slower pace allows all of those to be explored in greater depth, hence the word intrigue. I mean, the tactics used in LotGH are inspired by real-life situations that don't make much sense when converted to three-dimensional space but it sure is a hell of a lot more intriguing than many other sci-fi anime.

Like I said, though, it's a bit too early for me too judge the battles from one episode alone.

dude relax. It's only episode 1. Even the original OVA's beginning wasn't really that great and most of its build up were helped by the prequel movie.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean I can't criticise it. I've said twice in this thread that it's too early to judge and that I'm going to view it as a separate work aimed at a different audience, not sure why you're telling me to relax.
Apr 3, 2018 10:13 AM

Jun 2015
I've yet to watch the original, but this remake is pretty good. The OP and ED sounds nice and the CG is decent. The OST during the battles and the talking is quite good. Ship designs look cool. Not much stakes in that space battle. Looking forward to see more.
Apr 3, 2018 10:15 AM

Oct 2008
Yo, this could be drawn by a 6 years old with crayons.
And i'd still love it.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the cgi.
Apr 3, 2018 10:20 AM

Nov 2017
i only watched 4 episodes of the original so i'm not biased like you guys, i think this was a s good as the first episode of the original for different reasons
Apr 3, 2018 10:29 AM

Jan 2015
While I can't get over the character designs (I really hate the change to bits) I was right not to worry about the GCI. I personally think it looks pretty good. Really love the new battle scenes. A fairly satisfactory first episode.
Apr 3, 2018 10:31 AM

Jul 2014
That was a brilliant strategy, attack a weaker force, shut down their communication, shoot first and blow them all up. *faceplam* Terrible writing, absolutely terrible.
Apr 3, 2018 10:34 AM
Jan 2015
Watching this and the older OVA side by side it's pretty painful how much better the OVA was at establishing the world and characters. By comparison this episode consists almost entirely of CG explosions.
Apr 3, 2018 10:36 AM
Apr 2016
Bow down bitches, best anime of the year has made it's debut. Good CG, great Sawano track, good military plot... hyped
Apr 3, 2018 10:38 AM

Nov 2007
So is this gonna be the saviour of anime or I am gonna be told to watch the original one?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 3, 2018 10:38 AM

Feb 2014
This was super hype. Its obviously not going to have the same depth as the original 110 episode show but it does not need to. The first episode is still great.
Apr 3, 2018 10:39 AM

Mar 2018
I watched the original 3 times and I am fine with this new interpretation, including the restructuring and larger focus on the Empire, which I guess will be balanced out by a focus on the Alliance in episode 2.

The CGI seems fine too, I am puzzled by the people comparing it to the abomination that were the new Berserk seasons.

But I guess I might be in the minority when it comes to old fans, as I wasn't expecting a 1to1 remake with oldschool character designs, battles and the old voice actors. If you are that fed up with it to tank its rating, just drop it and wait for the 2048 remake, am sure our post singularity ASI overlords will be able to deliver a product thats able to withstand your nostalgia.
Apr 3, 2018 10:43 AM
Jun 2015
Its not bad so far, but I think they should have went full CG instead of the halfway CG. They already using a simplified bishounen design that I think CG would have been better because we could have gotten cool hair physics the original deserved also I want cool Axe Battles!
Apr 3, 2018 10:52 AM

Sep 2014
Well it's so-so for now. I love Miyano as Reinhard but from the bit I heard of Suzumura while I like him a lot he cannot match the great Tomiyama as Yang Wen-Li but tbh no one can imo. Now my biggest issue with this was the music during the battle. Generic and lifeless. It cannot get compared with the classical music the original had but I hope they will at least put better tracks for future battles. The battle itself while visually great it kinda annoyed me that the Empire looked like it didn't have the slightest casualty throughout the episode. I don't even recall seeing a single ship of the Empire getting hit by an attack while the FPA's ships were going down like flies. Now for the character designs while I prefer the original character designs over the new ones the latters don't look bad at all except Julian's. I want to see what kind of changes this one will have compared to the old one for the minor events since I don't expect they will make vast changes in this series. Let's see how this will go.
MonkeyDHunterApr 3, 2018 11:00 AM
Apr 3, 2018 11:12 AM
Apr 2016
To note I have yet to see a three dimensional battle in major space series, everything just goes pew-pew in one direction and in the opposite, you would think space would be creatively used for ambushes from above the universe and from beneath it respectively. Just a note.
As for the episode, everything was strangely... generic? Even the opening sequence by the Hiroyuki Sawano felt somewhat incomplete, as if there was no solid statement in it. (I feel I am writing to myself but nothing new). That said, I still retain high spirit and hopes for the series, as both Hiroyuki Sawano and I.G. (without mentioning the voice cast) are being a part of it.
MonkeyDMike said:
Well it's so-so for now. I love Miyano as Reinhard but from the bit I heard of Suzumura while I like him a lot he cannot match the great Tomiyama as Yang Wen-Li but tbh no one can imo. Now my biggest issue with this was the music during the battle. Generic and lifeless. It cannot get compared with the classical music the original had but I hope they will at least put better tracks for future battles. The battle itself while visually great it kinda annoyed me that the Empire looked like it didn't have the slightest casualty throughout the episode. I don't even recall seeing a single ship of the Empire getting hit by an attack while the FPA's ships were going down like flies. Now for the character designs while I prefer the original character designs over the new ones the latters don't look bad at all except Julian's. I want to see what kind of changes this one will have compared to the old one for the minor events since I don't expect they will make vast changes in this series. Let's see how this will go.

Yeah Nazies just mowed them down and there were even seemingly no difficulties or casualties, as if the Yanks were shooting in dark holes or something. Could have been produced with a little bit more "real" feeling to it.
Re:formed
Apr 3, 2018 11:17 AM
Nov 2011
I also regret that they didn't use the classical music (the piano pieces have an 8bit feel though), but I'm delighted with the ship redesigns that mix the new holograms with sparse FPA design and lavish Empire design.

I guess they won't correct the mistake that space is 3D and their battles are as flat as possible. You do see the little squadrons jumping around a bit, but that's it. Using gravity like in SyFy's The Expanse is completely absent here.
Apr 3, 2018 11:19 AM

Jul 2012
Great adaptation of the main elements of the story thus far.
But I'll have to get used to the new visuals, and especially, the lack of classical music.

Other than that, feels like the half of what should have been a double lenght episode.

The old series is my favorite anime ever and a masterful production for its time, but I'm happy it's being reworked for a newer audience in this way.

So far, pretty awesome start, but the atmosphere feels quite a bit different (more similar to the novels in a way, but in a way more "modernized" way).

Seeing that they are aiming to adapting the first book in a whole cour, it seems like they will be adding those little information bits from the novel the OVA series missed (in addition to what they expanded and rearranged in there as well, of course).
DanpmssApr 3, 2018 6:29 PM
Apr 3, 2018 11:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Oooldd time LOGH fan from hell here.

For the past couple of weeks I've been telling myself that this is an adaptation of the novels, not the great OVA and films. And you you know what, it wasn't as bad as i feared it would be. Honest. They respect the story for the most part ,although they are making changes for setting it up to be a Reinhardt-Yang one on one. I suppose newer audiences need that personal touch to engage them.

The CGI is bland and boxy, but the smaller craft do look better than they do in the old OVA. And yeah, the music, nothing to be done about that, but I thought the strings were at least unintrusive. I had nightmares about some kind of dubstep "eeepiiiccc" vocal track during the battles. Mercifully that did not happen.

The characters will take some getting used to as will the voices. Merkatz and Farenheit look and sound good and I actually like the more grown up feel of Siegfried Kircheis here (thought they made him too childish looking compared to the novels). But no way around it...Mamoru Miyano is a star and does a good job but the arrogant confidence that Ryo Horikawa bought to Reinhardto-sama is unbeatable.

Let's see how the Alliance guys look next week. Look forward to seeing and hearing Dusty, Poplan, von Schonkopf and of course Yang himself.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 3, 2018 11:39 AM

Aug 2014
It was ok, a bit gayer than I remember, but then again I might remember it wrong...

well anyway, my main issue is how the original has actually ages gracefully, this just looks like Code Geass compared to it. Anyway I'll continue watching regardless.
Apr 3, 2018 11:54 AM

Oct 2014
The pace is slower than I expected it to be, which is good, bcs then it can do the plot some justice.

Sokah said:
That was a brilliant strategy, attack a weaker force, shut down their communication, shoot first and blow them all up. *faceplam* Terrible writing, absolutely terrible.

Napoleon used such strategy all the time. He won 52 out of 60 battles, and conquered West Europe.
Apr 3, 2018 11:54 AM

Oct 2015
Well, not as bad as it could've been. So I guess I should be grateful at least for that. I'm okay with character designs: it's different, yeah, but not all that unacceptable. (By the way, Merkatz looks almost the same as in the original series) OP and ED are a bit generic. And yet I always skipped "The Skies of Love" (1 OP), so it's nothing new. CGI looks nice, even though it reminds me of the Star Wars. The dialogues seem less philosophical, but it may be my first impression. The voice actors are probably the best part: I even enjoyed Yang Wenli (of course Kei Tomiyama is irreplacable). Anyway, not a bad start for newcomers, but it will certainly dissapoint the fans of the original. I will draw my conclutions by the end of the season, but for now I sort of like it.
Omnia munda mundis
Apr 3, 2018 11:59 AM

Apr 2016
To be honest, it doesn't get to the original's level. It can't.

But

I expected it to be way worse than it actually is. Yeah, the character design is far from fitting and they screwed Fahrenheit big time, but the animation is really good and the battles look dope. The opening is nice, kind of similar to the old ones so there is that.

I was kinda disappointed to see that the episode focused mainly on the Galactic Empire's side. I presume the next one will show more about the FPA and I don't really like that. I prefer them intertwined but whatever works I guess.

It's not a masterpiece but it's far from unwatchable. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Apr 3, 2018 12:18 PM

Sep 2014
I was expecting nothing so I wont get disappointed and it worked out! I think the start was solid, sure, its still a disgrace compared to how good it should, could, and has already been, but who cares.

The CGI sucks, its really ... lame. There has been better CGI anime in the last 5 years. Feels like fanmade at points.
The character design is atrocious. The shot in the OP from someone I guess is supposed to be Reuental nearly made me puke, I dont have identified someone as Mittermeyer yet, so I will surely be disappointed again.

There is a unique feeling watching this, knowing the fate of the characters here.

One thing I actually liked is the focus on the empire side for this episode. Underlines the more important character (wink wink) and gives a better view than if they had switched sites all the time. I expect next EP to be a smol flashback to what happened before Yang took command and then mixed views on whats happening.
The original beginning sucked too, the only bearable way to watch it are the movies as an intro. So Im still open.

The original story already had a shitton of mistakes, not even talking about a certain someones death, or the other certain someones death, but Yangs fangroup later on. If they dont change that and the CGI remains lackluster this will probably end up as a 6 or so.

Time to get the 30 year old memes out.

robiu013 said:
It was ok, a bit gayer than I remember, but then again I might remember it wrong...

well anyway, my main issue is how the original has actually ages gracefully, this just looks like Code Geass compared to it. Anyway I'll continue watching regardless.

to be fair to the original, it was pretty gay at times with Reinhard and Kircheis.
Also please dont toss in Code Geass with this, CG was amazing and looked decent. This would be decent if it aired 10 years ago
Comander-07Apr 3, 2018 12:23 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 3, 2018 12:33 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
First time watcher.

I'm very pleased with this episode, it had such an epic feel to it.

The space battles were very nicely animated with the CG.

Reinhardt and Kircheis are the ones i need to watch prolly, they seem like very competent people. Also the old dude was pretty cool.

Can't wait to see more,
Apr 3, 2018 12:34 PM

Feb 2015
I came in expecting it to be absolutely horrible, but was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not anywhere near the original, but it is watchable.
Apr 3, 2018 12:44 PM

Aug 2015
It seems like they're starting with readapting one of the prequel movies before the main series. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars if I'm remembering right? Whenever Reinhardt and Yang first encounter each other in battle.
Apr 3, 2018 12:47 PM

Sep 2017
Yeah, I think I can live with this interpretation for now.

CGI in anime tends to be a bit iffy, but I have to say, this episode mostly exceeded my low(ish) expectations. It's a bit inconsistent for sure, certain shots inside Brünhild's bridge overlooking the battlefield looked genuinely good, some of the exterior shots showcasing the fleet less so, but it's not like the OVA had incredibly consistent and high quality production values either.

The character designs are what they are I guess, Reinhard's modern look works well enough and doesn't deviate too much from the original, but Kircheis, oh man, he feels like a completely different character, lacking that sympathetic and boyish aura that he had in the OVA.

The original LOGH for me was all about the character drama, political intrigue and large-scale narrative, whereas the military tactics displayed and actual execution of battle scenes tended to be peripheral to my enjoyment of the series, so I really need to see how this new adaptation handles all that other stuff before making any conclusive statements about its quality.

However, I do miss my boy Mahler. It's just not the same without him.
Currently playing: Persona 3 FES, Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~
Apr 3, 2018 12:47 PM
Nov 2017
I haven't watched the original but this episode got me pretty hooked. I don't get why people would upvote a series like tgre to 8.6 and a series like this to a 7.2 already. Judging by the first episode this was really good. The cgi didn't bother me. Everyone looks cool af lol
Please guys I know you love the original work but no need to hate on it so much
Apr 3, 2018 12:54 PM
Dec 2007
Under current circumstances, I'm not sure Prod IG could have done better than that. The art and music were gorgeous and everything felt really respectful to both the original novel and OVAs, without quite reaching their level.

The chara design is very generic and the direction not that good though. Still superior to 90% of the animes released recently.
JacutApr 10, 2018 6:46 AM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 3, 2018 1:07 PM

Apr 2016
Not as bad as I was expecting, but it does feel pretty lifeless in comparison to the original. A lot of character development seemed to have been cut out. Character designs are also pretty bad/bland. Yang's voice was terrible, I started laughing when I heard it for the first time. Despite all this, I am somewhat hopeful that this will at least be decent.
Apr 3, 2018 1:09 PM

Mar 2013
Gaerled said:

Opening reminds me of this song so much lel

I'm so glad it wasn't just me that thought this lol, I started singing this in my head the whole time.
Apr 3, 2018 1:33 PM
Nov 2016
Not a bad start..... Gotta wait till the next episode to find out who wins
Apr 3, 2018 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
Granted this no way won't surpassed the original but still surprisingly 'not bad' start for the remake imo and I feel it could been more interesting if they could do 1 hour length for the first episode. At least the adaptation feels faithful. Have to admit though that compare to original, the actions and battles feels so epic!

But I missed the old Reinhard's voice :(

removed-userApr 3, 2018 1:48 PM
Apr 3, 2018 2:11 PM

May 2014
Better than the old episode 1 although it was never very strong to begin with. Obviously, they share some weaknesses, such as some issues pertaining to the space tactics or the rushed developments in some parts. I would also rewrite some lines here and there.

All the focus on CGI and character designs. I didn't mind them at all.
Apr 3, 2018 2:54 PM

Jul 2012
I watched the first season of OVAs, so I thought maybe this remake would start already appalling. But, tbh I'm hyped
I think it was a very good start, the tactical explanations are much more enlightening than the first epi of OVAs. The music, well, is not as good as the original, but it's not bad either xD
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Apr 3, 2018 2:57 PM

Nov 2013
Well, I can't say I'm disappointed since my expectations weren't exactly high.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 3, 2018 3:02 PM
Mar 2016
Is this a reboot of the original?
Apr 3, 2018 3:26 PM

Jan 2009
Zura_Orokamono said:
While I can't get over the character designs (I really hate the change to bits) I was right not to worry about the GCI. I personally think it looks pretty good. Really love the new battle scenes. A fairly satisfactory first episode.

Honestly describes it perfectly. The narrator talking in the first minute really sent me the feels. The character design could have been better but besides that EVERYTHING else I honestly thought was very well done for a first episode.
Apr 3, 2018 3:28 PM
Aug 2017
It’s pretty good so far. Way better than I originally expected. It’s not as good as the original, but that was to be expected. Certainly has potential to be great.
Apr 3, 2018 4:31 PM

Sep 2014
So for now, is this better or worse than the original? It doesn't sound like it'll be rushed since they won't adapt the whole thing from what I've heard, but I don't think I'll watch this one if the original is decisively superior.

Not sure whether the start of the original wasn't that thrilling either, but the rating of this first episode is really low. It's kinda glaring for a series so well-rated.
FlamepriesTApr 3, 2018 4:34 PM
Apr 3, 2018 4:48 PM
Nov 2011
I presume that most people who watched it already knew the old series and it's not the same, so that explains the low scores (character design, too much CGI, no classical music, too much action). I'd give it 4 episodes to see if the anime is worth it. We barely scratched the surface.

I do hope the voiceover won't be the spoiler that it was in the original. He sounds very similar but he's not talking for ages like in the old series, still need to see how that pans out though.
Apr 3, 2018 4:49 PM
Mar 2017
FlamepriesT said:
So for now, is this better or worse than the original? It doesn't sound like it'll be rushed since they won't adapt the whole thing from what I've heard, but I don't think I'll watch this one if the original is decisively superior.

Not sure whether the start of the original wasn't that thrilling either, but the rating of this first episode is really low. It's kinda glaring for a series so well-rated.

I know it might be an unpopular opinion, but the first 2 episodes of the original were really weak in the first place, so I honestly think it was better. The space battles have always been the weakest part of the OVA's and I found the new battles to be really entertaining.
Apr 3, 2018 4:53 PM

Sep 2015
I did not watch the original, so i wonder how much story they can cover at this pace.
Apr 3, 2018 5:05 PM

Feb 2010
As a big fan of the original series, and someone who didn't expect much to begin with from this series, I was actually fairly pleased with the results. I wasn't as disappointed as other people here nor did I think it was such a weak start.

Let's start by saying: No, I don't think this will be better or as good as the original source. For starters, it was doomed when they decided 12 episodes and 3 movies. Unless this has like 7 seasons and 5 movies, this has already lost against the original.

While it feels weird watching Kuroko no Basket players cosplaying as the Free Planet Alliance and the Galactic Empire, I'm pretty sure I can get over the new designs quickly. I'll miss the old Reinhard and others, but I'll get over it I think. The voices will be a bit more tough for me. I actually think they chose a pretty good cast with younger seiyuus, but the fact is that it will be very difficult to surpass Ryo Horikawa, Kei Tomiyama (RIP), Norio Wakamoto, Ikeda Shuichi, Kaneto Shiozawa (RIP). But again, the new cast is solid, so while I'll miss the old guys, I'm sure these guys can do a good job.

I actually loved the CGI here. Actually, the one thing I really apprciated was seeing those battles well animated, explosions looking like explosions (they were almost comical on the original series), etc. I did miss, and this could be very important, the bigger tactical approach of the original series, which was kinda replaced for action. While I get, and in part appreciate, seeing all these space battles remastered, we only have 12 episodes, I feel we can't waste that much time on pew pew action.

Also, I actually did like the job with the BGM during the series, and I liked both the opening and the ending, but yeah, I will miss my classical music and the themes are not on par with the original ones. I do really appreciate that the visual part of both the opening and the ending paid perfect tribute to the way the original ones were made.

As a whole, I actually enjoyed this episode. I don't expect this to come close to the original, but I think I will enjoy the ride.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Apr 3, 2018 5:44 PM

Dec 2010
That was good,could be better but it was not as bad as I thought it would be ofcourse it could never beat the original.The one thing i find strange is as a fan of Reinhard I find him to be more polite and kind and I could never remember him as a person to keep his calm when someone disagrees with him lol maybe its just me but I guess since we are still at the first episode,I could be wrong.The one thing I wish they would change instead of the awesome music from the original is Wen li OPness that is the only thing I hated about the ova,his character is way too over powerful.
Apr 3, 2018 6:12 PM

Mar 2013
didn't watched the original but im team Reinhardt already
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Apr 3, 2018 6:17 PM

Jul 2015
I mean, it hit all the story beats of the original, but the directing was pretty subpar, and you don't feel wholly convinced of everything Reinhard says unlike the gravity his voice seems to command in the original
Apr 3, 2018 6:23 PM

Sep 2010
DAMN, this series really needed the first episode to be 1 hour long and because it didn't we got what we got. Oh well it's still pretty to look at and one of my favourite VA voices Reinhard so, hip hip hurray for this. Although character design, especially for Kirchies is really something that I won't be able to ever get over. On the other hand, I rarely say those words BUT "CGI looks great!", needless to say the ship battles and spaces is definitely above that of old adaptation for obvious reasons.

In any case, I will be enjoying this one.
Apr 3, 2018 6:34 PM

Jun 2008
The original OVA is my favorite anime of all-time and I've watched it 4 times in total, so it goes without saying that I'm a huge LoGH fan. After seeing some of the character designs and that boring ass trailer, I had pretty low expectations for this first episode. That said, I ended up being impressed with it. I still have some reservations, mostly in regards to pacing, direction, characterization, and maintaining the nuances of the original, but this is surprisingly a promising start. Bring on episode 2!
Apr 3, 2018 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
It was nice. I am a bit bored, just as I was with the original. The voices were pretty much perfect (Mamo, Ume, Suzuken for main three) and I am very impressed with the visuals.

Whoahoho said:
Is this a reboot of the original?
yea
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.