Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 2, 2009 2:28 PM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I laughed at all the men in this episode being posers.

Aug 31, 2009 3:05 PM

Aug 2008
I'm disappointed in Utena. I want Anthy to speak more. I am so excited to see how this series ends.
Nov 15, 2010 3:25 AM

Aug 2009
The posing near the end of the episode was absolutely hilarious
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
May 10, 2011 7:51 PM

Aug 2010
Snap out of it Utena, you're a prince godamnnit.

*poses with shirt half off*
fuck everything and rumble
Aug 6, 2011 3:43 PM

Nov 2009
FINALLY SAIONJIS SHIRT COMES OFF!!! i couldnt help but start laughing at them at the end tho ahah
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2011 8:01 AM

Apr 2009
So, are the coffin boxes something like reality-simulating devices, that put Utena, Touga and Saionji in the Matrix/Dream created by Anthy to aleviate her suffering?
Is Anthy a daughter of a rich family in a futuristic technologic world with a terminal disease, and her parents decided to put her in this simulated reality? And then, her brother Dios called Utena to enter the dream to wake up Anthy, by getting stuck on it in her place? And Touga who is a kid who loves Utena entered too, to stop Utena from saving Anthy and therefore being stuck? And then, Saionji, who loves his brother incestuously and homossexualy, entered the dream to stop Touga from stoping Utena from saving Anthy, and then remain in that dream forever?

Many theories, and I think none of them are true.
RenatoAug 12, 2011 1:57 PM
Aug 12, 2011 8:02 AM

Apr 2009
But who loves Saionji?
Maybe wakaba is also in a coffin to save him? And who will save Wakaba?

NO WAKABA! DON'T DIE!
RenatoAug 12, 2011 1:55 PM
Jan 5, 2012 1:53 AM

Jul 2011
What does Touga mean, by we are all in our coffins? Is he implying that no one is eternal and it's up to him to create eternity for Utena, himself and everyone else. I think the idea that Dios (Akio) was able to snap Utena out of her depression and he wasn't really irritated Touga as a pompous, arrogant man. It is sort of a challenge to him, to show Utena something eternal, but who knows what Touga's real motivation is. Anyway, really excited to see the end of this series.
Jan 22, 2012 3:55 AM

Apr 2009
They are coffins because they have no reason to think they might not as well be in the coffin since being born as they will die eventually and their dreams aren't eternal. They need to let go of not trying to chase eternity or something that is not eternal is just pointless. It's the same for all of them, that's why their childhood selves flashed.
Jun 18, 2012 1:33 PM

Dec 2009
The idea of the coffins is kind of interesting, I'm not exactly sure what they mean though.
Sep 4, 2012 11:28 PM
Mar 2011
This is threatening to become depressing. Watching Utena get led slowly astray by Akio is a practice in suffering in a way that's unusually subtle for an anime. I'm surprised I feel so strongly about this, and yet I don't dislike Utena for her decisions. Blissfully having someone who seems to bring you the happiness you sought after, versus straining to recall old memories and the real reason for your motivation--it's simple to see which is the easier choice, and it's all too human to opt for the nearby pleasure over the meaningful struggle.
Dec 21, 2012 5:48 PM

May 2010
Why do all the guys in this show feel the need to take off their shirts for no reason?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 21, 2012 5:53 PM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:
Why do all the guys in this show feel the need to take off their shirts for no reason?

I always thought of it as a tongue in cheek mockery of fan service.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 30, 2013 11:25 PM

Mar 2012
I think the coffin is a euphemism for being doomed to repeat something, stuck in some endless loop.
Jan 30, 2013 11:34 PM

Nov 2011
Kinryn said:
I think the coffin is a euphemism for being doomed to repeat something, stuck in some endless loop.

That makes sense considering the show, especially if you watch the movie after it.
Feb 24, 2013 4:01 AM
Jan 2013
Those earrings do look good on Utena, in a girly kind of way, but yeah... it just ain't right.
Mar 6, 2013 11:51 PM

Aug 2007
I'm hoping that Utena will ride a horse in the next ending episodes.
One of the main reasons I like her so much is for her prince persona.

Sep 28, 2013 9:30 AM

Aug 2012
sexy photo time with Akio and Touga

... carrot?

how the hell could Akio catch her while riding a horse ...

why are all japanese people so concerned about catching a cold from the smallest thing. i live in f***ing iceland, you are not going to catch a cold falling asleep in your warm house and not in your bed.

sexy cacti

so many microphones and cameras

sexy chest competition

anthy is jealous and scary
Dec 16, 2014 4:35 PM

Sep 2014
insan3priest said:
Confucius said:

This, and I LOVE it haha XD

Hmm, coffins? Could it be that they're all actually dead?
Jan 11, 2015 4:03 AM

Sep 2013
insan3Inquisitor said:
Confucius said:

Touga is doing it because he wants to be just like Akio. And I guess Akio's posing reflects his bishounen nature. >__>

The coffin symbolized Utena trying to make everything eternal. You know, as if her parents weren't dead and she was still waiting for the prince on a white horse.
Jan 22, 2015 5:36 PM

Jul 2014
Nooo, Akio is getting in the way of the intense yuri that's about to develop.
Mar 21, 2015 2:06 PM

Apr 2014
Akio has a talent of appearing out of nowhere

and what was with that carrot Touga was holding?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2015 3:14 AM

May 2013
Carrot, cactus, coffin... so much symbolism. Will be good to see Utena talk to Anthy about her past.
Aug 4, 2015 9:24 AM
Jul 2015
I don't know wheather it is just my dub which screwed the Shadow Girls Play up this time: In the last scene of the play, the playboy fisherman asks the mermaid that he cannot handle: "What is this?" and she just says "Koi." That is a wordplay, because it refers to the Koi fish, of course, but also to the japanese word "Koi" for love - which makes much more sense in this context and is the main point of the play... :/

Btw.: Laughed my ass of with the shirt off competition. Hilariously over the top.
Oct 5, 2015 7:53 AM

Jul 2014
Seeing all the guys unbutton their shirts and feel themselves up is very disturbing to me.

4/5
Dec 22, 2015 5:48 AM

May 2013
EOTW said:
What does Touga mean, by we are all in our coffins? Is he implying that no one is eternal and it's up to him to create eternity for Utena, himself and everyone else. I think the idea that Dios (Akio) was able to snap Utena out of her depression and he wasn't really irritated Touga as a pompous, arrogant man. It is sort of a challenge to him, to show Utena something eternal, but who knows what Touga's real motivation is. Anyway, really excited to see the end of this series.

I think the coffins are supposed to imply that they're all still trapped in their past. When Utena was hiding away in her coffin, she was unable to get over her parent's death. As has been shown before, all the students at Ohtori have something holding them back, are clinging to a memory or idea from their past that they desperately want to see realized, whether or not it was ever true is irrelevant. All these characters are unable to grow or mature because they're so incredibly fixated/stuck on what has been.

I think the main point this show is making so far, (imo) is that in order to become an adult, we need to strip away any nostalgia or longing for the past that are holding us back. The Black Rose Saga really highlighted this, I thought. How all these people are looking for eternity, that is, to make something precious to them never end, to be the way things always are. But that's a childish attitude, in a way, and it's instrumental to adulthood to let go of the past, to accept change, and face it head on. Right now, the characters aren't able to do that, but some of them are moving in that direction. (Juri being "freed" of her obsessive love for Shiori, Nanami deciding she wants to put her past with Touga behind her & surpass him)
Even the lyrics of the opening seem to hint at this. Near the end where the lines go "Even if I dream, even if I cry, even if I get hurt, reality keeps on coming recklessly. I wanna find my own place, the value of being the person I've been until now. Let's find the strength to throw it all away. Strip down to nothing at all."
These lyrics seem to be talking about how no matter how hard you may wish for the past, and want it to be the way things are, reality and what actually is are not going to stop and will eventually hit you. In order to endure the real world, you need to remove what's holding you back, your idealized view of the world, nostalgia, longing for things, preconceptions about the world, etc. It takes strength to do, and is hard, but ultimately you'll become free to face the world anew, and as an adult.
Feb 18, 2016 12:04 PM

Aug 2014
Touga is definitely in love with Utena aka the only girl he couldn't tame.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually starting to miss Nanami o_0
KashKetchumFeb 18, 2016 12:12 PM
Jul 10, 2016 9:11 AM

Sep 2015
I liked this episode, even though it wasn't that much more consequential than the previous two. At least in terms of advancing the main plot. It seems to be setting up for Touga to duel Utena again next episode. In doing so it shows in multiple places, that despite conspiring against her with Akio he has developed some sort of feelings for her. As Saonji says I'm not sure how valid the "feelings" of Touga are, he's too manipulative and selfish to have a pure unselfish love for anyone. But he seems to at least care that Utena is falling slowly but surely right into Akio's clutches. Whether that's out of jealousy or genuine concern for her well being remains to be seen.

I've mentioned in other posts but I'm a big fan of Wakaba. She's one of my favorite supporting characters, and her skepticism of Touga here was great. It goes back to way back when Touga dueled Utena the first time and lost her edge. It was nice bit of character continuity I appreciated. At any rate she was right, Utena should have just avoided Touga. But after a horseback riding incident she becomes even more wooed by Akio's charms.

I wish a little more happened in this episode. We're getting ever nearer to the end and the show still moves at a leisurely pace. Still it's not a bad pace. I'm at least a little excited to see Touga duel Utena next time and see what the show's endgame is. There was a time I thought Touga was the main villain, but he pales in comparison to Akio. Thus for next time I'm quite curious if he'll get any kind of redemption, or stay villainous
Jul 22, 2016 1:55 PM

Apr 2016
The episodes are moving fast now. The 30 minutes are just flying by.
Jan 1, 2017 9:01 AM

Oct 2012
AHHHH

Why are they trying to distract Utena from remembering?? Stop it!!! Free Anthy!!!!!

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 5, 2017 6:50 PM

Nov 2011
I took the coffins to represent being trapped in the past. Utena couldn't move beyond her parents' death before and she is still pursuing the prince now. Neither Saionji nor Touga have truly changed from the time they met Utena. Etc. etc.

I'm starting to think the rape was an attempt on Akio's part to force Utena into a place of submissiveness, which he perceives as more "princess-like"... which is really messed up. I still don't feel like the show needed to go that far with it to achieve this sort of effect though, and I still think the effects of that are being heavily downplayed, so my feelings are mixed.

I look forward to the final duel.
Jun 9, 2017 3:48 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Welp...Utena can't be the prince if someone else does the saving for her.
Guessing the carrot Touga is holding means that he's baiting her?

So Akio wants her to be more like a woman than a prince.

Omg...those poses towards the end...xD They look like they're modeling for America's Next Top Model or something.
Aug 16, 2017 9:22 AM

Apr 2015
Akio tricks me on a regular basis. During his scenes with Utena he seems like a really sweet guy, and then we cut back to him and Touga...I wonder if her falling off the horse and Akio rescuing her was arranged by him.

I wish it wasn't taking Utena so long to put two and two together.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 18, 2017 7:13 AM
Aug 2014
Bit of a slow episode without much interesting happening.

Utena continues to be infatuated with the engaged Akio and seems to have put any objections she had about it to the wayside. Dress and make-up before, earrings now, Utena is slowly turning into a princess and a princess can't save a princess.

So is Akio doing this to make sure Utena is a worthy prince that isn't easily led astray or does he actually like Utena?
Sep 11, 2017 11:50 AM

Jun 2013
Utena's jewelry reminds me of Nanami's cowbell, something that is used to domesticate her. But maybe that's a stretch. I don't mean that jewelry is bad, it's only in this context where it feels that way.
Oct 28, 2017 2:33 PM

Jun 2017
I find it amusing that Saionji of all people can be the voice of reason at this point. I think it shows how far things have gone (and perhaps shows an actual, if small, change in himself?)
Mar 16, 2018 2:32 PM

Jul 2016
Nice JoJo collab.

The last duel is coming near, who will change the world?

The symbolism and the metaphores here are neat, I'm going to do my research on those I've missed because they're really well done. That's one of the things I like the most about this show.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Mar 30, 2018 4:06 AM
May 2017
"We are all trapped in our coffins". Some deep words said from one of my least favourite characters of the series... (also, how much more manipulative can Akio be?)
rin_the_catMar 30, 2018 6:25 AM
Apr 16, 2018 12:49 PM

Jan 2017
Wow, this is going to places i'd never expect!! And seeing Utena like that was one of them. Akio sure is good at getting what he wants.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Sep 23, 2018 1:58 PM

Nov 2016
Man, Akio got Utena within his grasp and now that she "became a woman", she seems further away from becoming a prince.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 13, 2018 1:09 AM

Aug 2015
This show puts Jojo's to shame. Do you even pose, bro?
Jan 26, 2019 6:04 PM

May 2010
The shadow girls and their play was perfect this time, one of my favourite ones in the series!

I wonder, what Touga's deal is and what's his desire? So many questions!
Jul 14, 2019 9:12 AM

Mar 2016
I'm just going to leave this here xD

Jan 21, 2021 10:03 AM
Nov 2010
Dornentanz said:
I don't know wheather it is just my dub which screwed the Shadow Girls Play up this time: In the last scene of the play, the playboy fisherman asks the mermaid that he cannot handle: "What is this?" and she just says "Koi." That is a wordplay, because it refers to the Koi fish, of course, but also to the japanese word "Koi" for love - which makes much more sense in this context and is the main point of the play... :/

If you only watched it through in the dub, you really owe it to yourself to re-watch with the original voice acting. Although the voicework in the dub is passable (by late-90s standards), the voice direction is REALLY bad, and some of the line readings will actively lead you astray from what is already a pretty complex and nuanced show. And that's on top of regular translation/subtitle/reference issues like above.
May 7, 2021 11:28 PM

Jul 2016
Touga, the guy who seduces girls as if it were a sport, has fallen for the girl he could never tame. Not to mention he now seems to dislike the idea of Akio pushing Utena more and more into the uninteresting role of "princess".

Overall, finally an enjoyable episode. Well-structured and with not so many super pretentious symbolisms.
Mar 28, 2022 1:06 PM

Jan 2022
Utena really is naive, I feel bad for her honestly

Episodes are definitely a lot more enjoyable now than they were at the start, they seem to fly by
Oct 15, 2022 11:11 PM
May 2015
It is entertaining how Machiavellian Akio is. You can't tell me that whole horse accident wasn't orchestrated by him. He's been slowly planting seeds and Utena's wrapped around his finger. I do wonder about the significance of the poppy...
Feb 10, 2023 6:42 AM
Jul 2017
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
Jul 9, 2023 4:25 PM
Feb 2021
Akio saying Utena would be a better princess than prince is really kinda strange. Though it does make sense if he wants Touga to beat her.

I really fucking don't know how to feel about Anthy. She was condemned to suffer eternally because she couldn't fuck her brother, which sucks but it's really just confusing for her character.

Like, IDK what she wants. She seems to kinda like Utena but at the same time she makes Akio fuck her.

Really I don't like her at the moment. She's always seemed so uncanny to me and even if she can feel true feelings, idk if those feelings are good for anyone but herself.

She's really the biggest missing piece in this entire show and I'm excited to see how it plays out.
Jul 24, 2023 1:21 PM
Feb 2023
they will give us touga taking sexy pictures of akio but they wont make these men gay I'VE HAD IT!!!! anyways i love how fucking absurd this series is like the characters might be having an important dialogue while doing the most ridiculous activities djjdjhjkjlkl anyways, i know this utena x akio thing has been going on for a few episodes but i still can't believe it like it genuinely pisses me off but part of me reminds me that UTENA IS JUST A YOUNG GIRL and young girls are impressionable and also AKIO IS A GROOMER AND HE'S TRYING TO CHANGE HER AND DRIFT HER AWAY FROM ANTHY AND I WON'T HAVE IT!!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

95 by MonkeyShines »»
Sep 2, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

68 by Allmibar »»
Aug 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

52 by Mae_Mae_Online »»
Aug 23, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 23, 2008

102 by DarkSunGuenievre »»
Aug 23, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

95 by Phobossus »»
Aug 23, 5:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.