Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 16, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, looks like back to the frontline action with this episode. Also interesting to see storytelling about Eugene and his connection with Shin.

At the time, it felt like he had a brotherly-like bond with him. Shin and Eugene has a rather interesting relationship imo in the show, especially this season so far.

Jul 2017
Out from town, and straight into the battlefield, which is back to Chapter 1.

Shin is still the same Reaper demonic coldness from before, and the others can't take the fact that 86-ers like him bear such a personality (which unforunately is down to personal perception).

Wokring under Grethe Wenzel of the 1028th Test Unit, the 86-ers are in a perfect place under the Nordlicht squadron. Fido is resurrected with the help of Grethe (and Frederica being the squadron mascot), and that at least lightens up the 86-ers mood. This is for the start of Chapter 4.

Going back to finish the remainings of Chapter 1, against the Legion, the Giad Federacy stands no chance, and the 86-ers (at least for Shin's performance) with their extensive experience piloting Republic Juggernauts before, now in the new Reginleif, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Frederica has problems clearing her mushrooms, and Shin isn't being too light on her as well, which makes the former Empress kinda of a kid being taken care of as the squadron mascot. For Eugene, his little sister is recouerating under their relatives, but the war is making things difficult for them to survive, and this Legion battle is not letting up, which leads to the scene of Eugene's death. A solemn and sad death, but what's death if the Legion aren't done.

Every episode is turning out to be spectacular.
KANLen09Oct 16, 2021 9:59 AM

Feb 2018
Shin and his friends decide to enroll in a special military academy. Shin, who had survived the harsh battlefield as a Spearhead squadron, showed his fighting skills even in the military school and shocked the surroundings. Getting a reprimand from the instructor, rather than having to enjoy peaceful days, Shin would rather go to the battlefield. Somehow many robot carcasses make me nostalgic, is that you?

I hope that the masou military academy scene continues, it's still too early for the battlefield besides, I also want to see Milize. I don't know why Enoki mushrooms are not very popular, is the taste too bad? Look at Frederica's face, xD. It's still the episodeb3 and a corpse has appeared even though it's just. The god of death just joining the battlefield

Oct 16, 2021 8:29 AM

Feb 2019
No better way to start my birthday than with an amazing episode of 86.

This is an episode that we(LN readers) all knew was coming, but man seeing Eugene in pain like that was hard. I love how A-1 recreated the anguish of that moment both for Eugene and Shin.
Oct 16, 2021 8:32 AM

Jun 2019
So... now that they've decided to head back to where they came from, they need to go through the special military training from the academy as the condition stated by Ernst and tagging along with them is their cute sister Frederica. LOL. As expected from Shin and his years of experience on the battlefield, he's just in a different league from everyone around him. I didn't expect to see Eugene here as well but hey, I like the guy even tho he's only been here for one episode so far.

Frederica is funny and cute and other than that, I don't wanna say anything... :( Idk how Eugene's cute sister will react. It's sad to even imagine that. It's just nice to see the face of frontline once again in the show, for the first time in this season.
Oct 16, 2021 8:33 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Well, back to the war for the Spearhead squadron. It’s a shame that the Giad soldiers find them to frightening, but considering how the 86 have fought in far inferior machinery, they’re simply much more adept to battle than the Giad soldiers.

The nice that Giad honored the fallen 86 soldier that Shin had the names of. Not only that, but Fido was restored too! And Frederica made it to the battlefield as a mascot, lol.

RIP, the handgun that was given to Shin has immediate use. Sucks that Eugene had to go and it'll be hard to break the news to his little sister.

Great episode overall. We got a little bit of chapter 4 adapted and most of chapter 1 adapted in this episode. Glad that they chose to adapt it chronologically, since that gave Eugene's death more impact than it had in the novels.
Oct 16, 2021 8:34 AM

Apr 2018
It's time for the special military academy. Shin is pretty much above the rest and it shows how great he actually is. I'm glad for Fido's return. And the action scenes were absolutely amazing. The CGI was just perfect. Seems like the peaceful days will be gone soon and straight up back to the battlefield. Frederica was pretty adorable as always. That one scene with Eugeune was pretty hard but for the rest, another epic episode.
SideCharacterKalOct 16, 2021 11:27 AM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 16, 2021 9:44 AM

Nov 2019
This episode was such a rollercoaster. On one hand, Fido is back. And the whole squad his happy to have him back; and on the other hand, Eugene. It was so sad, seeing him lying in his own blood like that.

Shin, as usual, put it out of his misery at least.

Oct 16, 2021 9:47 AM
Sep 2021
Hard hitting, beautiful, another perfect episode by A-1 Pictures, they’ve done a perfect job adapting the Light Novel, masterpiece.
ShineiNouzen1Oct 16, 2021 10:39 AM
Oct 16, 2021 9:57 AM

May 2020
Looks like they already started their training, well it was quite obvious after last episode and now they are part of Giad's Military force. Pretty much battlefield's the only place they can find themselves at peace.

Frederica being their mascot, well you need someone to light up the mood every now and then but still I found her pretty annoying. Good to see atleast Eugene bonding well with Shin, but really wasn't expecting something like that after their talk.

Another great episode, the quality just keeps getting impressive.
Oct 16, 2021 10:03 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I love that Fido is back, did not expect that at all.

Eugene's death was abrupt but that's how war is unfortunately, gruesome.
Oct 16, 2021 10:03 AM

Apr 2019
A-1 is killing this adaption. 86 every week is just stellar. Special stuff going on here.

Oct 16, 2021 10:05 AM
May 2021
V good ep thats all i can say emotions rising
Oct 16, 2021 10:10 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

When Fido came back, I was grinning. That conversation between Shin and Fido was very emotional especially when he asked why Fido didn't see his duty till the end but eventually asked him if he wanted to go back home together.

With the conversation between Eugene and Shin during the meal I knew it wasn't gonna end well for Eugene but to see him in such a gruesome state was heartbreaking but alas, such is war. :(
Oct 16, 2021 10:10 AM

Feb 2021
I got chills at this moment...

Oct 16, 2021 10:12 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Now that was an impressive feat for Shinn. Its funny that Marcel is complaining about the new mechs for the 86 not having any safety measures though and calling them crazy. Back home such features were things the republic neglected to put in. The memorial though was a nice gesture on the Federacy's part. Im so glad that Shin's oldest friend Fido was able to return in a brand new form. Frederica defo fits the role of a mascot though. With both Fido and his sidearm back looks like Shinn is finally back. The Giad front though sure looks rough but Shinn's team is proving to be quite the force multiplier needed to support it. But man RIP Eugene such a gentle and kind person taken from us far too soon. Overall an excellent ep that while doing well in showcasing how Shinn and his friends are faring within the military also did well to show the kind of tension that exists within the military to their integration into their ranks. The way that i see it i don't Shinn would have been able to save Eugene even if had tried as his injuries were far too severe. Poor Nina though never being able to see her bro again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2021 10:16 AM

Jul 2016
The first half is Shin training on site with Eugene in the Vanagandr. And they adapt the jumping zero scene. Then the spearhead squad comes at the memorial landmark, which they rest there comrades dogtags and juggernauts. The next scene is Fido reunion which surprised them. The OST is great this scene.

The second half is about the real fight on the battlefield in Eugene perspective. Then he was saved by the new mobility type Reginleif. The CGI on the fight is good and the new drone is cool.

And the last part which is graphic than the LN and you can feel the sadness of the scene and how gruesome it is. Overall its great episode

Oct 16, 2021 10:20 AM
May 2008
Once again, a masterful episode done by A1 pictures. The gravestone for the very few 86 who Shin managed to scribe to some metal part was very touching, but there are millions of other 86 who died and will never get this, which is really sad.

Also it feels the anime is really fast paced. Like Cour 1 was pretty slow, and now it feels like it turned to max. I'm looking forward next episode 5/5.
Oct 16, 2021 10:20 AM
Oct 2016
Back to the immense pain that this show brings. Had it easy the past few episodes of this cour bringing our heroes back to the battlefield but now slammed into a brick wall of pain. Almost exclusively focusing on Shin, Eugene and Frederica in this episode. Shin being in the same class as Eugene in officers school was nice, it made me happy to see someone latch onto Shin. I feel he needs people like that in his life. Fido somehow coming back made me cry the first time during this episode. Never thought he would be back but Frederica and this general Grethe worked a miracle. The memorial they built out there where the group was found is a nice touch. Frederica does make a good mascot for their new unit in the federacy, shes certainly rambunctious and keeps spirits up. The end of the episode though, I started crying again at that point. Eugene just wanted to make a good life for his little sister, being a big brother myself probably makes me a little more emotional about it but man that hurt seeing Eugene be unable to fulfill that wish. Shin cold demeanor shows just how many times he's been through losing someone close.
Oct 16, 2021 10:22 AM
Oct 2016
How are the admins and mods and whoever letting people come in here and vote 1/5 just to sabotage the rating?
Oct 16, 2021 10:22 AM

Jul 2017
It was... an episode. The moments with Eugene, Shin and Frederica bonding and then sudden cut to him dying on the ground after was pretty tough and well-executed, particularly for a character who didn't really have much time in this series. Gravestone bit was nice too. Rest of the episode felt a bit boring to me, something I haven't said much with this show beforehand. Don't blame the staff though, they did the best they could considering how slow and stagnant the 2nd volume felt in the middle and how dull that was to me first read. I liked the second volume more when I reread it but its again not aging the best for me. A pretty mixed bag episode as a whole, with some great little moments on top of a pretty transition-like episode that wasn't that entertaining. Would have liked to see more actual training though before those five graduated, just to add on top of novel content.
Oct 16, 2021 10:29 AM

Apr 2021
animejas said:
It was... an episode. The moments with Eugene, Shin and Frederica bonding and then sudden cut to him dying on the ground after was pretty tough and well-executed, particularly for a character who didn't really have much time in this series. Gravestone bit was nice too. Rest of the episode felt a bit boring to me, something I haven't said much with this show beforehand. Don't blame the staff though, they did the best they could considering how slow and stagnant the 2nd volume felt in the middle and how dull that was to me first read. I liked the second volume more when I reread it but its again not aging the best for me. A pretty mixed bag episode as a whole, with some great little moments on top of a pretty transition-like episode that wasn't that entertaining. Would have liked to see more actual training though before those five graduated, just to add on top of novel content.
yes I agree, it felt kind of rushed and boring but idk might be because the source material is that way. The fight scenes in between were fire though
Oct 16, 2021 10:30 AM

Nov 2014
That went fast. When I heard they are going to school I expected whole school arc lol.
Euhene was a walking death flag, no surprise here.
Oct 16, 2021 10:31 AM

Nov 2013
What a rollercoaster of an episode. Starting from the back flip on the Vánagandr (man was that great to see it animated), to the 86 memorial with Fido making a comeback, and then ending with the sudden death of Eugene. The latter one I wasn't expecting to see it so graphic, it was a welcome addition nonetheless since it made the moment more grim.

Props for A1 for the excellent visual storytelling, especially when it matters to Shin's expressions. He may come across as uncaring or stoic, but those sudden brief changes in expressions tell so much about what he is feeling on some of these scenes. Can't wait to see his expression when the expected letter comes in the following episode.

Also looking forward to the backlash that Marcel will get from the anime onlies lol.
KaitonOct 16, 2021 10:37 AM

Oct 16, 2021 10:32 AM

Jul 2017
CreepHazard said:
yes I agree, it felt kind of rushed and boring but idk might be because the source material is that way. The fight scenes in between were fire though

Definitely a source thing. A-1's done well with the anime with more than just the animation for fight scenes but volume 2 stuff is generally a lot more slower and personally, a lot less interesting/entertaining than volume 1 stuff and apart from a great episode 1, I've felt a bit indifferent to the start of the season so far.
Oct 16, 2021 10:34 AM

Apr 2021
animejas said:
CreepHazard said:

Definitely a source thing. A-1's done well with the anime with more than just the animation for fight scenes but volume 2 stuff is generally a lot more slower and personally, a lot less interesting/entertaining than volume 1 stuff and apart from a great episode 1, I've felt a bit indifferent to the start of the season so far.
mhm
I haven't read the ln yet, but from what I know 3rf volume is supposed to be better, so
Oct 16, 2021 10:47 AM

Nov 2020
man i knew it, he was gonna die sooner or later but cmon... ): he was such a kind person and a good big brother

Oct 16, 2021 10:58 AM

Sep 2017
Pacing really picking up it seems. F in the chat for Eugene. Was gonna say it's a very sick tradition to have a little girl join a squad to be some supporting mascot character, so I was glad to hear from Eugene that it's an old tradition no one really follows anymore.
Oct 16, 2021 11:16 AM

Mar 2008
Damn. Probably now the rest of the soldiers will avoid Shin even more, like some kind of stupid superstition, if you approach him, you will die soon.

Oct 16, 2021 11:21 AM

Mar 2018
I felt that death coming... He started to gushed about his dreams and aspirations for once the war was over, despite the war not getting any better. Didn't think it would be that abrupt though, that jump cut caught me off guard.

The death scene and the sequence following it was so good, I'm really loving this adaptation.
Oct 16, 2021 11:23 AM
Nov 2020
Marinate1016 said:
This is an episode that we(LN readers) all knew was coming, but man seeing Eugene in pain like that was hard. I love how A-1 recreated the anguish of that moment both for Eugene and Shin.

Honestly, A-1 managed to do it even better than what I had imagined. And the facial expression on Eugene as Shin showed him his sister's picture and while he thanked him for euthanising him... That was too much, it felt like a punch to the gut.
Oct 16, 2021 11:24 AM

Mar 2014
I knew Eugene's death was coming since that huge red flag when he started talking about what he'd like to do with his sister once he can see her again. But I didn't expect him to die in the same episode. It's really depressing, and Shin shooting him to save him from the pain was so reminiscent of what he used to do in the 1st season as well. On the other hand, Fido coming back made me extremely happy.

I hope next episode will have a scene with Lena, I wonder what she's been doing all these months.
Oct 16, 2021 11:27 AM

Jul 2017
oh shet best boi Fido had the true plot armour all along. Shame silver-hair dude couldn't share the same, fastest death flag in the west lol
Oct 16, 2021 11:27 AM

Jun 2014
First episode back on the battlefield and we already have a major casualty with Eugene dying. He wasn't really a major character, wasn't around for that long, and his death flags were obvious, but it was still pretty sad.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 16, 2021 11:37 AM

Mar 2016
From what I can remember, this part of the light novel with the training stuff was actually quite underwhelming and the weakest part of the story imho. That's why there wasn't a lot of training shown, which can make some of the episode a bit tiring for many people. It's extremely nice to see Fido return, that reunion legit nearly made me tear up.
As expected, Shinei and co still experience discrimination, except this time not in the form of racism; being very experienced and used to battle themselves, they are under scutiny of the other trainees. According to Asato herself, the character Eugene was given 2 traits that were supposed to evoke memories of influential people in Shin's life: glasses and brotherly figure to remind him of his late brother Rei, and the hair of an Alba so he would be reminded of Lena.

On a final note, I DID NOT remember Eugene's death looking THAT gruesome in the novels. The anime really decided to take it to a new level this season with depicting death here.

Other than that, another solid episode, though I don't expect anyone who's still having mixed feelings about this season or the series overall to have this change their mind anytime soon.
Oct 16, 2021 11:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Fido is back!!! that was great, but Eugene is dead... damn, even when there is a good event it needs to end in a dramatic way, RIP.
Oct 16, 2021 11:40 AM
Nov 2016
Do they have to kill every character? Is it fun? I did not sign up for this.
Oct 16, 2021 11:42 AM

Sep 2014
Fantastic episode. Now I just need a button to fast forward time to when Lena appears again, because I'm really starting to miss her... and waiting for the next ep without knowing if she'll be in it ain't helping.
Oct 16, 2021 12:01 PM

Jul 2015
Haunting Episode.Shin and others join the Special Military Academy and as they are battle hardened troops they are much better than others. Shin's cold and emotionless self scares the others.

Eugene Shin relationship is pretty emotional and they way it ended.Eugene was a good friend to Shin but sadly he died.

The positive scenes of this episode was definitely Fido returning.

Oct 16, 2021 12:08 PM

Nov 2013
dang i hate it when a character talks about their future and you know theyre gonna end up dead T-T

also did anyone notice how shinei looks kinda like levi from a side profile???
Oct 16, 2021 12:11 PM

Feb 2012
Remembering how athletic the Juggernaut's movement's in the first cour when Shin was piloting it. Shin's backflip in the Vánagandr to avoid a collision didn't go too well with the superiors.

The Federacy made a gesture of recording the names of the fallen, but Shin would rather have someone he knows to remember him, but all's good that they repaired Fido.

Some XM2 Reginleif vs Legion action.

Cute Frederica moments to soothe the pain to come.

Damn, that is way more graphic seeing it in colour. The voice in his final moments where he asks Shin to show him the picture of Nina was a great performance; kudos to Eugene's VA. Breaking the news to Nina is going to be hard. Also, notice that they show a pair of red flowers earlier in the episode and Eugene's blood later splatters over a white flower.
Fortress_MaximusOct 17, 2021 6:59 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 16, 2021 12:17 PM
May 2021
OKAERI FIDO! > Shin smiling > RIP Eugene > Shin carrying out his role as the Reaper and constantly on the receiving end of other's misplaced hate/anger. 😢

Man, 86 really knows how to fuck with our emotions.
XO2HKIMOct 16, 2021 12:45 PM
Oct 16, 2021 12:34 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
This is the second tense episode I watched today. Shin and the rest of the 86 are back on the battlefield now they have graduated from the academy. Shin was doing some training exercises with Eugene. He seems to be getting along with Eugene, but Shin's cold actions is starting to rub some of the other guys the wrong way. Before going back to the battlefield, Frederica surprised them with a newly rebuilt Fido to provide support once again and she also tags along with them.

I had a feeling Eugene was going to die one he started talking about his aspirations while he was sharing a meal with Shin. He ended up dying in the most gruesome way and Shin living up to his undertaker code name put Eugene out of his misery and collect his dog tag. Once his actions rubs the other guys the wrong way, but somebody has to do the dirty work.

It just goes to show that even on the Giad Federation Front, the Legion are still a fearsome opponent.

Marinate1016 said:
No better way to start my birthday than with an amazing episode of 86.

My birthday is tomorrow, so Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy the rest of your day.
Oct 16, 2021 12:41 PM
Aug 2018
I'm slowly realizing 86 is what I always wanted Code Geass to be, but it never was.

My dream has come true. This shit is unbelievably good. I hope the same staff keep adapting the novels for a long time :')
Oct 16, 2021 12:44 PM

May 2021
Spearhead squadron are back to the frontlines! They rebuilt Fido which is great and Shin got his gun back. Frederica is now their ‘mascot’ as well. Really liked this episode and looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 16, 2021 12:47 PM
Aug 2018
Also, I keep loving how this show portrays the deaths of characters. It was obvious that Eugine was going to die. I was almost worried they were going to give him a super dramatic death.

And then we just get a transition of him waving his hand with his sister's picture saying "See you later", and the scene changes to that same hand laying in the battlefield bloodstained. In a second. There's no glory in these deaths. They just happen. They happen to kids going to war. Out of sight. Nobody will ever know. Later we find that that same hand isn't even attached to his body anymore.

That last scene is one of the gruesomest the show has shown yet. And we know Shin believes this is his place. He can't go live a "happy life" as people tell him. He's useful in the battlefield. He will always be. He can't run away, and doesn't even want to. He's not happy, but he knows it's all he can do. He's such an awesome character
Oct 16, 2021 12:50 PM

Sep 2018
Oh boy...

Welling up with joy, then welling up with sadness.

And I think the CG on the mechs may just have been turned up another notch. Awesome stuff.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Oct 16, 2021 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
Damn, what a dismal episode with the scene of the death of Eugene it really got pretty dark.
Oct 16, 2021 1:12 PM

Apr 2020
I was happy and I also cried, this anime has it all, and it has proven to be a great rollercoaster ride for me. 1500th forum post...

Shin is leagues beyond the new recruits, and I mean...he and the others had been through hell, the others are just ghasted by the feels of it that they carry. But first, I AM HAPPY to see Fido again, the robot really did impact me from the first season, and seeing him back is worth a rejoice. Also Shin's reaper pistol is returned, as well as their mecha vehicles, and to respect their fallen comrades, they managed to gave them a memorial plaque with their names on it, that is just so lovely....alright now time to revert to sadness.

Eugene, oh my boi, when the camera stared at your eyes as you explains to Shin how you want to go to a vacation with your little sis, you're immediately tagged with the flag of- NO HE DI3D, this is so sad!!! Even if I can joke that he's had been flagged with death, you can't deny how once again this show tugs us with these death scenes. He was a nice guy and unfortunately his comrades treated the reaper with disdain and disrespect, like bro.

This show once again treated us with a great episode, and sadly though Fido may have revived, we'll leave behind Eugene in such a painful way. It's just another day for Shin the Undertaker, it's just another day...
Oct 16, 2021 1:14 PM

Mar 2018
It was great and a touching moment to see Fido back! Seems I care more about Fido than about some characters... oh well!
The moment Eugene sat at the table with Shin and saying about going to the zoo or shopping with his little sister, I yelled "Death flag!"... That sure didn't take long. Welcome back Shin a.k.a. Reaper.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [SPOILER]. If they make a second season would it be a romance?

Superninjaboy2 - Jun 3

12 by Flacion »»
Jun 4, 10:50 AM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

23 by rayanDON »»
Jun 1, 10:12 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

535 by riwandha »»
May 31, 1:34 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Poll: » 86 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2021

340 by HYPERCOE »»
May 15, 12:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.