Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 18, 2019 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh I kinda get why Miki wants everything to be like usual again. Just the simple days of having fun together seems enough for her. This is a bit contrasting compared to Midori who is aiming for bigger goals in her life.

It's a bit late in the show but sweet to see some more of Miki's childhood. Really glad the season's finale united Miki and her friends together. That got emotional. 8/10. Dark horse of the season imo.
Dec 18, 2019 9:47 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
After Midori, Miki is finally developed for the end that was good
Dec 18, 2019 10:46 AM

Jul 2017
Twas a decent show. Don't think I'd be remembering this show anytime soon but won't be hating it for eternity either. low key thought the ships were cute though

Six Rooms/10
Dec 18, 2019 10:53 AM

Sep 2013
Truly my kind of anime! Board gaming + cute girls + reliving some of my own gaming memories, what a treat. Also overall features a lot of things that actual board game designers have to worry about, further fueling my own aspirations. Definitely gotta look into the Toddles-Bobbles game of this final episode myself.
May board gaming never die, and may these girls keep playing together >-<

9.4/10
Dec 18, 2019 10:56 AM

Aug 2012
That's just life, Miki-chan.
Dec 18, 2019 10:56 AM
Sep 2015
Oooh two boys going to cinema together...
Dec 18, 2019 11:52 AM

Aug 2013
This episode got emotional and for me was the best one in the entire show. 8/10 for this show. Extra point for this episode. I'll truly miss this.

Miki has great friends who care for her. I hope they stay like that.

Dec 18, 2019 11:55 AM

Feb 2013
I really enjoyed this episode and the show overall. Glad they developed Miki more. The girls scene at the end was touching. I think this show deserves a 7+ in the ranks. 8/10 for me.
Dec 18, 2019 12:02 PM

Jan 2018
I'm really gonna miss this show. This was really one of those underwatched shows of this season.
Dec 18, 2019 12:19 PM

Feb 2007
Mojarin's picture needs updating.
Dec 18, 2019 1:02 PM
Jun 2012
The only problem I had with this show was how can a German girl understand kansai-ben so easily while I'm still having problems with it with over 9000 episodes listening experience. Other than that it was a good show I dont regret watching it.
Dec 18, 2019 1:10 PM

Nov 2010
Episode 2 was still the strongest of the episodes and I was hoping it would go back to the more serious issues it hinted at, but it felt the show itself got hindered in its structure by the concept of having one new game per episode.
With my (German) nostalgia for some of the games it was still a 6/10, but I could have seen this a quite a bit higher with more character focus. Hell, I would like some kind of after story of Emmy and Midori living together in Germany (in a relationship or just as a game designer flat share) creating games with or against each other. The chemistry of those two is clearly there and they could be great rivals or support to each other.
Dec 18, 2019 1:36 PM

Jan 2015
Gl getting visa to america with Trump administration lol. jk jk. Wow George was rough... just like replies for my job applications ;-; "We enjoyed your game and most of our staff rated it really highly, but some pieces were missing(ofc not telling you what was missing, ze classic) so we have to deny you"

They just finished first year of high school and they are already discussing their plans for the future, "i'm going to germany" "i'm going to south america" I don't wanna sound like that typical oldman, but damn me, feels good to be young ;-;

Watching this made me realize that Miki wasn't really the main protagonist as i originally expected from the first episode... It's her and Midori and it feels like Midori is a bit more of a main one... It's not that i'm complaining or mind it, really... just something that i noticed.

The anime is pretty amazing without a doubt, there isn't a character that i didn't like or didn't enjoy the presence of. Though my own preference was definitely Aya for being too cute and adorable (especially the voice and reactions) and Midori for being so great and inspirational and president is cool. And ofcourse i didn't forget the boys(potential love interest?) tanoue and yoshioka,those two had some of my favorite scenes. Manager was also pretty amazing especially helping Aya and her dad make up.

I also personally was really digging that background music and the clear messages that author was sending, especially to creators (ep 6) and people who have weird taste and people who shame that (ep 4) and to bullies, and victims of bullies. Hope those messages reached someone other than me lol and i hope that maybe by watching this anime more japanese will start paying more attention to board games and board games will get more popular than they are now (we almost don't have them in animes as mcuh as video games for example) and this is the first anime about board games right?

Also i really wonder if the author went through the same thing as he described with Emmy, only being able to play with older people and not findng and board game shop near him nor friends his age.
Dec 18, 2019 3:58 PM

Nov 2013
oh no, another anime season is ending, i'm getting old haha

anyway, another enjoyable anime, anything about games is fun, i used to play a few dice/card/dominoes games with my grandfather or at school when i was at 5-9th grade

like the scrub @MicheleCostOwna before me said, there really isn't any character to hate here, everyone was fun, my favorite is Aya because she is a genki girl <3 , but i also loved Emmy because foreign accents are great =D Miki because she is shy like me, and ofc i usually also like the class rep types, in this case Midori (she isn't now but she still looks like she is, and i think she used to be class rep before)

the boys were ok, they made fun pairs with the girls they liked, and more importantly they made my favorite forum guy go mad =D @Yuri-Crusader <3

overall, i probably will add some of the girls to my "secondary favorites" blog, and rate it a 7, it was fun and cute but ... maybe not my favorite from this season

oh, like the guy before me said, there were some nice lessons in here... after watching Railgun season 1 i started to feel like some animes have motivational stuff, like trying hard on what our difficulties are, or that even if everyone goes different ways, we can still chat on phone or meet after school/work hours/holidays, or to accept criticism to improve (even if we all hate it)
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Dec 18, 2019 4:16 PM
May 2019
Nice ending, they even prepared some Drama as well. Just wish we could've seen more of the boys.
Dec 18, 2019 4:25 PM

Oct 2010
This show is underrated, IMO. Nothing really "bad" about it other than a little "boring" at times but overall I thought the games were neat and the characters different personalities worked well together - it was a lot of fun in the end and the messages were really positive. I really relate to Miki. Especially after high school, if everyone else is moving ahead and you can't (for any of the many possible reasons) then it can be really scary.
Dec 18, 2019 7:48 PM
Jul 2015
7/10 It is a nice little show. The drama with Midori trying to actually make a game helped a lot. I wish Aya wasn't just the dumb one most of the time.
Dec 18, 2019 8:06 PM

Oct 2017
A touching episode for the finale. This was really heartwarming, seeing everyone happy together made me happy.

Sigh no more Miki chan starting next week, gonna miss this a lot.
Dec 18, 2019 8:13 PM

Jul 2016
Man, this was such a damn sweet finale. I really loved it and seeing Miki as a child never fail to make me go all D'aww everytime I see her.

Overall, nice series. As some people said, there wasn't a character I truly dislike (well, excluding that hypocrite vice-president), the main cast had good chemistry as well as a nice balance between interactions. Midori was easily my favorite character because of how inspirational she is but since Miki is basically me when I was younger, she will always have a special place in my heart as well.

On the other hand, it's true that there were moments where the story felt boring/uninteresting but in the end, it wasn't really a big deal considering they were only 2 or 3 episodes out of 12.

7/10 - Absolutely wouldn't mind a second season.
SouthRzVaDec 18, 2019 8:16 PM
Dec 18, 2019 9:15 PM
Jun 2017
Not bad for the final episode... well Miki's feelings are a little bit true to many especially when your just an high school. There will come a time that you will all graduate from high school and from there you will choose the path towards a better future.. but for me those type of things--- exploring the new environment you have with will make you better plus the people that you met and be friends in the past will always be there for you...

Nice overall series..
Dec 19, 2019 12:55 AM

Dec 2018
Miki cried some more! Thats new!!Shallow episode on anime that just repeating itself with boring characters!!!

Disappointing ending for a anime that dont understand the difference between cute girls and irritating males! This is NOT a CGDCT,There are more males in it then girls.This is a boring regular romance and should be tagged as such!

Worst anime in the year 2019 Next time its should be all about the cute girls! Instead if loud irritating males that trying to climb my girls!! Unacceptable!!! I only accept pure lesbian love!!!

I give it 1/10

Yuri-CrusaderDec 19, 2019 7:08 AM
Dec 19, 2019 1:12 AM

Apr 2016
Wholesome anime of the season? May not be the best, but it's pretty hard to hate on this wholesomeness.

I love Miki. Such a sweet girl. I know she isnt real, but if she were I hope she continues to make new friends in her second year.
[
Dec 19, 2019 5:54 AM

Jan 2015
winddevil1 said:

oh, like the guy before me said, there were some nice lessons in here... after watching Railgun season 1 i started to feel like some animes have motivational stuff, like trying hard on what our difficulties are, or that even if everyone goes different ways, we can still chat on phone or meet after school/work hours/holidays, or to accept criticism to improve (even if we all hate it)

not bad lol, now just utilize them
Dec 19, 2019 6:19 AM

Nov 2013
MicheleCostOwna said:
winddevil1 said:

not bad lol, now just utilize them

nope, you know i'm all talk and nothing else :v
also, YC ignored my comment, i'm gonna go cry on the corner haha
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Dec 19, 2019 11:56 AM
May 2016
Nothing too spectacular but overall a solid show.
Dec 19, 2019 2:55 PM

Aug 2018
This episode got emotional really fast and I wasn't prepaired for it. Dang it, Miki.

In overall a fun show indeed.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Dec 19, 2019 3:23 PM
Jan 2017
After 12 episodes, Afterschool Dice Club comes to an end. This was a good episode, but I admit I didn't find it as emotionally uplifting as I thought it would be. I can understand that Miki had to confront the fact that she had no plans for the future, it still felt a bit clichéd and it was solved a bit too quickly. Maybe this particular story could have worked better as a two-parter? Who knows? Even so, this was a good way to conclude what was a pleasant and heartwarming show.
Dec 20, 2019 4:55 AM

Jul 2017
Well, for one person who've come this far, Miki definitely found her purpose in the friendship of games and fun. But as everyone ages a year older, no time is spared to make plans ASAP.

Welp, Midori's game isn't approved, but the recommendations come as a surprise as she's given the opportunity to venture to America, same as per Emmy to go back to Germany to continue game design. Even Aya's dream to be a vet is challenging, but doable.

Now all that's left is Miki to find a plan of what she wants to do in the future, but with no one to aid her on her next step, the future is uncertain, and with her weak and negative mindset, it's easy to lose hope. @HeroVladimir93 I'd have to agree if Miki's future was just a cliché subplot to answer the "future hopes".

Nevertheless, a rest and a game later, all's well that ends well. Not too much impact, but just nice. Heartwarming show for a reliever.
Dec 20, 2019 9:03 AM

Feb 2019
Nice and fun little show. It would probably not be that memorable for me, were it not for the most interesting game introduced here for me personally, which was Goita. Me and my friends have played Goita so many times ever since then (adapted it for playing with regular playing cards). We even made a digital game out of it and entered it into a competition (we lost though lol).

One of the better ones this season. Enjoyed it and loved seeing the variety of board games. Also, love Emmy so much!

Here's farewell to the first seasonal anime I ever finished, ever! :)
Dec 20, 2019 9:59 AM

Jul 2015
Bringing MAL scores is pretty pointless with how much of a joke they can be, but it seriously pains me how this can be below the 7/10, I liked the cast a lot and the series did a very nice job tying situations they faced to the board games.

8/10 from my part, I will miss these girls so much!
Dec 21, 2019 8:07 AM

Jul 2017
Not really my cup of tea, but this show was fine. The girls are lovable and the games were fun.

I think it's a well deserved 6/10, good to pass the time.
Dec 21, 2019 8:50 AM

Feb 2019
I'm about to cry lowkey. This, along with Fairy Gone have been my favourite series of the year and I'm really sad to see them both end this week. Such a wholesome series, I really hope there's a season 2, series is so underrated, especially on MAL. Guess if there's no tiddies or big explosions, a show is boring. But, if not, at least the manga is on volume 15 and still going.

What a finale, Miki, you don't have to face your struggles alone anymore. You now have friends who love and care for you and will share in your burdens with you. Ironically, I've been on the same type of journey this year. Going into grad school, I wanted to right all the things I felt I did wrong in Grad school, one of the biggest ones was not making any friends or connections. Joined anime club and have never felt more at home. For the first time in my life, I also feel like I have friends.
Dec 21, 2019 10:25 AM

Aug 2018
I really loved this anime, it gives me K-ON vibes but in a different way ♥

I hope it'll have a second season, please kami-sama!

Dec 21, 2019 4:23 PM

Mar 2009
Cute show, albeit kind of dull.

Needed more Maki.
Dec 21, 2019 6:07 PM
Mar 2015
Glad all the girls came through for Miki in the end
Dec 21, 2019 9:07 PM

Oct 2017
Man what a great last episode. Some really nice emotional stuff here. I felt so bad for Miki when she just wanted everything to stay the same. Very relatable for me. I like to imagine Miki and her friends will do a better job of staying in touch than my experience.

Honestly this was such a nice show. I think as long as these mostly light-hearted, fun and humorous with some positive messages of friendship sort of shows keep getting made, I'll be content with the state of anime.

7/10. So tempted to give 8. It's right on the edge. I rearrange my list so often this could become an 8 in the future, but for now it's right at the top of my 7s.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Dec 22, 2019 12:37 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty solid finish! Partings and Encounters are just part of life, Miki-chan.

Miki's just too precious, man. Seeing her play doll by herself after missing the other three was just too sad. Good thing Tanoe-kun was there for the rescue and leave it to the girls to cheer her up.

Sweet little game there too. Props to Mojarin for the crucial cameo, lol. And as always, little Miki-chan is just too sweet and cute.

It's impressive how Emmy and Midori are set on a future already. Aya-chan is all over the place as always but it's good to see her optimistic regarding her future. I'm curious to know which line Miki-chan will specialize into from Humanities.

It's been a pretty fun and cute show overall with a few dull moments here and there. Lidenfilms have proven themselves to be pretty good in the Animation Quality department in recent years (notably Hanebado!) and I'm glad to say they did a pretty good job here too. Sound Department-wise, it was pretty fine. Op and ED were fine as well and the VA not bad either. What really carried this show was the Characters and in that department, it was solid.

Episodes 1-3 were probably the best of the show, in all honesty. Perhaps a little episodic in nature as well, I felt.

Absolutely down for a 2nd Season, nonetheless.

Generous 7.00/10.

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 22, 2019 12:45 AM

Oct 2008
YOW! three girls should protecc your precious Miki-chan! don't make her cry!!!
5/5.
7/10.

Dec 22, 2019 10:39 PM

Apr 2012
phantomfandom said:
Oooh two boys going to cinema together...

AND? For both boys and girls, it’s perfectly normal to go to the cinema with friends. Honestly, I don’t understand why some people in the West tend to call dates and look for some subtext in any event between two people.
Dec 25, 2019 3:47 AM

Jan 2016
it was a solid show, I liked the second half of the show more than the first tbh. The art style was cute and appealing, the board games for the most part were interesting. I give it a strong 6/10
Dec 25, 2019 7:04 PM

Sep 2011
Miki hit WAY too close to home, except I never had a happy ever after. My story ended where she was sitting on the bench acting out the characters on the cards. My friends all went to work in my industry of choice while I was constantly rejected. I lost confidence in my skills and have started working in another, somewhat related field. Everyone was always busy or hanging out with friends in the field, so since we were no longer doing things together I no longer had anything to talk about with them and we drifted apart. Now it is impossible for me to make friends because I have serious trust issues and a serious inferiority complex that makes it really painful to be around people who are successful in my field of choice.

Now that I've cooled off a bit, on to how I feel about the actual show. Truth be told, there isn't much to say, for better or worse. It was extremely safe, and nothing really happened. There wasn't much substance, and it didn't feel like we were working towards a goal. It just existed. This is the weirdest 5 I have given to a series. I can't give it worse since it didn't offend and it told the story it wanted to tell, but I can't give it anything better since it didn't really do anything.
Dec 25, 2019 10:02 PM

Nov 2009
well, I guess that's it...

it was an interesting series with girls playing Board Games.

(technically they only played 4 or 5 actual games and the rest was character development)

And I guess they had to add drama like always for endings... where Miki thinks she's a loner.

Tho the ending is kinda blah open ended ending... I guess this creates room for a season 2 if it ever gets one.

(since we didn't get to see them do Spring Break stuff, like going to America, going to Germany for games, from their discussion of what they'll be doing)

___ ___ ___

Also, WTF was those cards Miki was looking at... those things are literally Nightmare fuel... (Russia... no wonder there's a video meme about how messed up living in Russia is)

___ ___ ___

Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Dec 27, 2019 1:03 PM

Nov 2014
That episode saved this anime a bit for me, or at least made me bump my score. Overall great premise with bad characters and annoying problems. It should've put more focus on games and how they play them.
Dec 31, 2019 6:39 PM

Jan 2012
Yes Miki, it's just as Clarence said, "No man(or woman) is a failure who has friends!"

Well this was a fairly standard cute girls doing cute board games things show. Admittedly at spots it was a little dry/boring for me, but they were few and far between. For the most part it was pretty good, though I don't really have much to say about it. I liked what little we got of the romance teases. More of that would have been nice, though I suppose it would have made it a different show than it is. I don't suspect it will have left much of a lasting impression as time goes by either, but I'll be nice and still give it a generous 7/10.
Jan 1, 2020 12:29 AM
Apr 2019
Yup decent shows. I don't mind when there are actually boys here introduced and have crush on main girls, but the drama in this anime is very annoying.. like unneeded at all. I want more fluff stuff than that shit. Also needed like decent play of the game so i understand it better, dont just explain the rule and slide showing the gameplay. Oh, and the blonde accent kinda irritating at some point.

7/10
Jan 1, 2020 12:54 PM

Dec 2019
Four high school girls play board games together while learning and growing as people. It's your standard CGDCT anime. Nothing particularly interesting about this one either. Easy enough to watch, but it feels kind of empty. I think even fans of the genre wouldn't rate this one especially high. There were some hints of actual romance early on and I thought it might not be so cookie-cutter, but nothing really happened with that and it stuck to the template. Honestly, the best part of this series was learning various board game rules and seeing different strategies applied to them. The last episode with Miki going through the cards representing her life was the only moment that I could truly relate to a character on an emotional level, but that doesn't really save the show. It's 3/10 through and through. Not necessarily boring, but not really any pros either.
Jan 3, 2020 9:04 PM

Apr 2012
animefan8800 said:
Yes Miki, it's just as Clarence said, "No man(or woman) is a failure who has friends!"

Well this was a fairly standard cute girls doing cute board games things show. Admittedly at spots it was a little dry/boring for me, but they were few and far between. For the most part it was pretty good, though I don't really have much to say about it. I liked what little we got of the romance teases. More of that would have been nice, though I suppose it would have made it a different show than it is. I don't suspect it will have left much of a lasting impression as time goes by either, but I'll be nice and still give it a generous 7/10.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
MonkeyDHunterJan 7, 2020 8:12 AM
Jan 3, 2020 10:38 PM

Jan 2012
RobertBobert said:

MonkeyDHunterJan 7, 2020 8:12 AM
Jan 3, 2020 10:45 PM

Apr 2012
animefan8800 said:
RobertBobert said:

MonkeyDHunterJan 7, 2020 8:13 AM
Jan 9, 2020 9:03 AM
May 2019
just a more than a little love for this show
just finished ep12 and so much reminded me of growing up as an introvert with a love for games, loosing friends over the years, i was crying so hard and then i was happy again by the end, i really hope they bring this back for a second season so we can see the girls advance as friends and see their dreams realised x
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2019

54 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2019

75 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2019

96 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 25, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

31 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 25, 2023 4:46 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2019

47 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 24, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.