Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 27, 2018 10:07 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So the final episode once again features the relationship dynamics of Hikari and Karen. It's one of the most important relationships in this series after all and I think they made that feel melancholic.

Hikari is the one that's more reserved here while Karen expresses her thoughts with emotional value. The two stands opposite of each other but also still holds a strong connection towards each other. Felt like a finale that made sense in respect to the storytelling.

Loved the quality of the animation this episode like many of the others. Quite a bit of emotional context in their stage combat duel too. Pretty cool and stylish episode.
Stark700Sep 28, 2018 10:47 AM
Sep 27, 2018 12:36 PM

Jun 2013
The giraffe is the most relatable character, he wants to see their performance just like we all are WAKARIMASU

Hikari and Karen performance was the last one as expected, Hikari should have won but she didn't, they really nailed it with the conclusion, I loved how they did it. Karen and Hikari's star is each other...

This series bought me since episode one with its glorious animation, uniqueness, soundtrack, the idea of the show and the storytelling. I never thought there could be such an interesting way of presenting the music genre. It was a fun experience for me since the start and I enjoyed the series to its fullest.
This was a gem among a pretty weak season, it deserves more attention.
MrMushinSep 27, 2018 12:47 PM
Sep 27, 2018 1:11 PM

Oct 2014
Ah so they didn't skip the promised fight. Nice, then.

Well, although they skip the real audition process (well, "skip") and ultimately no one pays for anything
it still is a nice finale episode and a nice closure to what would have been another idol anime, yet instead prove to be a strong AOTS contender.

Now... how to get this more attention then what it already has, huh?
Sep 27, 2018 1:27 PM

Dec 2014
Really epic and emotional, for what should've been a common happy ending, it turned out grand af.

AOTS, AOTY for me.

Really sad it's done and finished.

Rainen mo mata kokode ao o, kono hoshi matsuri no yoru ni. (in another universe maybe)
Sep 27, 2018 2:36 PM

Aug 2015
Jacob194 said:
Really epic and emotional, for what should've been a common happy ending, it turned out grand af.

AOTS, AOTY for me.

Rainen mo mata kokode ao o, kono hoshi matsuri no yoru ni. (in another universe maybe)

I am going to have mad Starlight withdrawals.
Sep 27, 2018 8:12 PM

Mar 2018
Turned out from another idol anime(as I thought on first sight) to an one of the great series in this year (2018) by uniqueness, outstanding soundtrack and storytelling. This title...Revue Starlight is now definitely joined my AOTS (and queue for AOTY).

This episode...I have nothing to say unless "Emotional, wonderful and (so many) amazing scene". A ninja onions striked again, I...I don't cry...such a good ending. I can't write anymore further.

10/10 for this episode.

9/10 for this title (as some episode(s) is not 'wakarimasu' enough) :)
SaharasSep 27, 2018 8:20 PM
Glasses girls is the best girls.
Sep 28, 2018 10:15 AM

Feb 2016
That moment when the giraffe just straight out tells us that we've been part of this show all along. Holy smokes
The negative effects of my long life as a shut-in are kicking in now?
Sep 28, 2018 12:26 PM

May 2013
TheKillerAngel said:
Jacob194 said:

AOTS, AOTY for me.

I am going to have mad Starlight withdrawals.

Banana No! just be Banananice

Such a Brilliant Ending, it reminds me of Toji no Miko but with a better executed ending
Sep 28, 2018 2:47 PM

Aug 2009
Best of the year. This was a pleasure to watch with such an unique way of storytelling.
Sep 28, 2018 5:01 PM

Sep 2015
So the girls get a happy ending because we (the audience) would never give up until they achieve that? Something like that? Fair enough.
Sep 28, 2018 5:19 PM

Apr 2018
The Giraffe being aware of us, and cheering with us was quite cool. I wasn’t too sure of the deeper plot in this series, but it was still wonderful nonetheless. (7/10)
Minori Chihara <3
Sep 28, 2018 6:08 PM

Mar 2012
Can you please not talk directly to me Giraffe? I know we are as excited as you but don't just break fourth wall like that all of sudden.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 28, 2018 6:41 PM

Oct 2015
That sure dragged on and on. Hikari and Karen finally performed together in their fated stage, that Karen sure is resilient.

It wasn't bad plot and had a message about dream and hopes, but I still don't feel it.

I'm sorry but I will give a 6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 28, 2018 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
Strong AOTY material here
Sep 29, 2018 9:27 AM

Sep 2017
That was so awesome. I really loved this series. When the giraffe started breaking the 4th wall and was freaking out over their performance I couldn't contain myself. Just an incredible series. AOTS for me and AOTY contender.
Sep 29, 2018 1:47 PM

Sep 2015
Hidden gem of the season, I loved everything about it from the concept to the art and storytelling. I really liked the cast too, all the girls were great in their own way.

Wasn't expecting the giraffe to break the fourth wall, this was a nice addition to this already impressive finale. I'm still not sure about the score but it was awesome, I'll definitely miss this show.
Sep 29, 2018 2:47 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Its already AOTY for me, i really doubt that will have a better anime than this in the fall.
10/10
Sep 29, 2018 8:43 PM

May 2015
The pillar holds no meaning eh? Well then why are you standing on it? Jump after her Karen!

Revue of Astral Sin...

Hehe, originally I asked who exactly was watching the performance...and the Giraffe breaks the fourth wall for us. I'll take it.

"For me, the stage is you." There it is.

Revue of Gathering Stars...

Wow, nice way to change the ending there...

The final episode sums it all up. The giraffe wanted a satisfying performance, and the ending to Starlight gave me just what I needed. Well done.

Final Verdict: Revue of Brilliance/10
Sep 29, 2018 8:55 PM

Aug 2017
The giraffe suddenly breaking 4th wall was weird lol. The final episode was better than previous episodes despite it has a slow pacing. Hikari and Karen performed together in the end. Many unanswered questions.

Overall, it's an average show. When the time loop bait ended, I was disappointed but this episode restored my trust. You got to like the characters to like this show. I still don't feel the message. It went from 4 to a 5 only for the ending. 5/10 for this anime.
NurguburuSep 29, 2018 8:59 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 30, 2018 7:02 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Of course for the last episode i had to get the meme fansub lol.
Anyway, it still a really good last episode.

Usually its something thats not my cup of tea and it had some problems but it was a solid watch.

7/10
DatRandomDudeSep 30, 2018 7:09 AM
Sep 30, 2018 7:06 AM

May 2017
Lol Hikari was in hueco mundo

Karen gets as many rematch she wants coz screw the rules, screw the rankings, screw rivalries, makes them team up, screw every progress and build ups, Karen and Hikari gets past everything coz PROMISE lol, way to go giraffe-kun whatever the f you are, go back to your cousin kyubey

PMMM+LLSIP=SKRS (garbage combination for the sake of combination)

Congrats, wasted more potential than SAO lol

1/10
Sep 30, 2018 7:47 AM

Dec 2016
I really enjoyed this show, and it truly did have some beautiful and emotional scenes, with some great animation at times too! I kind of wish they went more in depth with the whole "Banana has been repeating the same year for who knows how long" thing that happened, but whatever, it's not too big a deal
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 30, 2018 9:12 AM

Aug 2013
It was nice how the two revues in this last episode are pronounced the same but have different meanings through different kanji. Stuff like that is a really neat feature of the Japanese language.
Sep 30, 2018 11:16 AM

Jul 2017
A great finale to a surprisingly great show. I didn't have the highest hopes for this and it blew me away.
Sep 30, 2018 12:12 PM
Nov 2017
Ok so maybe I am just the 1 percent but I watched this show all the way through and I'm ready to take a stand. I would love to hear what others have to say about this because I just didn't get it at all.

I enjoyed the first episode just fine, but the second felt like a rehash of the first at best and almost a copy paste at worst.

The third episode made me even more frustrated as Karen had to face what, at the time, we considered the biggest threat in terms of winning the auditions in Tendo and when she obviously loses (and badly I might add) she drops to the bottom of the leaderboard. What? That makes no sense unless you want to tell me that they have been having lots of matches off screen and Karen was already low on the totem pole. She won her first two matches.

That brings me to episode 4. I can't get too upset at this one other than the fact that after the disappointment of the week before, I didn't get any fight in that episode at all and when they finally got back around to it, we had the dumbest fight in the whole show by far.

Episode 5 pains me. Reused animation, goofy sound effects and the fact that in all honesty Karen never should have won that fight in terms of how much of an advantage Mahiru had. It took all of the drama and weight of the previous Revues and turned it into a cheap joke.

That brings me to the 6th episode and I'll be honest, I may have been harsher on this one since I was already quite soured on the last few episodes but my biggest gripe here is the scene where Kaoroko is about to leave on the train and her and Futaba get in a fight and they are just interrupted by the phone giraffe telling them, "Hey, got a problem you need to settle? Well come on down here and you can just fight it out of your system!" This took any weight that the auditions had right out of the picture for me.

That was until Episode 7. It was this episode that answered so many of my questions and got me back in the right mood to watch the next 3.

8-10 I'm sure I could find problems with but I don't even want to try because I enjoyed them so much. That being said the 11th episode was not only slow and mostly boring but it did little to explain any of what happened before. At best this is all a metaphor or something and at worst, Hikari used her wish to rewrite the play they were going to perform and the play was actually just this anime the entire time. Either I'm over thinking it or perhaps not thinking hard enough.

I really do want to understand this show so I would love to hear a defense of it and why people think it deserves AotS or (and I can't begin to agree with this one) AotY. I don't want to ruin others enjoyment of the show I just want to understand what I missed because I wanted to love this show.
Sep 30, 2018 12:57 PM

Oct 2010
Kind of a lackluster finale, IMO. Felt drawn out. But still not bad. Really enjoyed this series. The only major flaw was Hidive's low bitrate making some of the lovely action scenes a bit less beautiful
Sep 30, 2018 1:55 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I didn't understand this show in the beginning but now I do, I appreciate its existence even more.
Life at the top is lonely. Dark, cold, and depressing. It shatters anybody's shine.

Karen however... She wants to say that you aren't alone. That you do have people around you who understand you, who love you, who genuinely care for your well-being.
People who will help you carry your sins, no matter what. That you aren't doomed to be lonely for the rest of your life. That it's not the end. That no matter how many times you shoot people down, they WILL be there for you, even when you may not see it yourself.
That is her message. Nobody is perfect. Unity in imperfection. Strength in togetherness.

It's a beautiful message in the harsh world of entertainment.
A beautiful message everyone is worthy of.
No matter what the voices say, no matter how the story is supposed to go.
You can rewrite your own fate, and you don't have to do it alone. Because you aren't alone. Everybody is connected.

Sep 30, 2018 1:55 PM

Aug 2013
No kiss? Really?!! :/

.....7/10
YurilandiaSep 30, 2018 7:35 PM
Sep 30, 2018 2:43 PM

Dec 2014
Xathanjon said:
Ok so maybe I am just the 1 percent but I watched this show all the way through and I'm ready to take a stand. I would love to hear what others have to say about this because I just didn't get it at all.

I enjoyed the first episode just fine, but the second felt like a rehash of the first at best and almost a copy paste at worst.

The third episode made me even more frustrated as Karen had to face what, at the time, we considered the biggest threat in terms of winning the auditions in Tendo and when she obviously loses (and badly I might add) she drops to the bottom of the leaderboard. What? That makes no sense unless you want to tell me that they have been having lots of matches off screen and Karen was already low on the totem pole. She won her first two matches.

That brings me to episode 4. I can't get too upset at this one other than the fact that after the disappointment of the week before, I didn't get any fight in that episode at all and when they finally got back around to it, we had the dumbest fight in the whole show by far.

Episode 5 pains me. Reused animation, goofy sound effects and the fact that in all honesty Karen never should have won that fight in terms of how much of an advantage Mahiru had. It took all of the drama and weight of the previous Revues and turned it into a cheap joke.

That brings me to the 6th episode and I'll be honest, I may have been harsher on this one since I was already quite soured on the last few episodes but my biggest gripe here is the scene where Kaoroko is about to leave on the train and her and Futaba get in a fight and they are just interrupted by the phone giraffe telling them, "Hey, got a problem you need to settle? Well come on down here and you can just fight it out of your system!" This took any weight that the auditions had right out of the picture for me.

That was until Episode 7. It was this episode that answered so many of my questions and got me back in the right mood to watch the next 3.

8-10 I'm sure I could find problems with but I don't even want to try because I enjoyed them so much. That being said the 11th episode was not only slow and mostly boring but it did little to explain any of what happened before. At best this is all a metaphor or something and at worst, Hikari used her wish to rewrite the play they were going to perform and the play was actually just this anime the entire time. Either I'm over thinking it or perhaps not thinking hard enough.

I really do want to understand this show so I would love to hear a defense of it and why people think it deserves AotS or (and I can't begin to agree with this one) AotY. I don't want to ruin others enjoyment of the show I just want to understand what I missed because I wanted to love this show.

Taking this anime too literally is gonna take a lot of the enjoyment... For Karen's case after losing to Maya in 3rd ep, at the start of ep 1 Karen wasn't supposed to be in the auditions, basically she was not ranked and she wasn't even invited, why? Because while she is really talented (they show this in later episodes) she lacks the motivation to be a stage girl (which is to give her all for the stage like the giraffe said)... So when she jumped, yes she did defeat Junna but that match just made her enter the tournament and it wasn't exactly fair to Junna as she was taken by surprise, now for the 2nd ep she defeated Junna and prolly became rank 8 (she still doesn't have motivation and slacks daily), now for Maya's fight, after the show Karen being rank 9 after the credits they show her talking to her about how she was no match for Maya and it felt like they weren't on the same stage, which is an indication that she lost hope and her motivation too which makes it as if her shine is going dim.

I prolly explained it in a bit weird way but this just one case, if you wanted to explain more (and I suck at explaining) I'd need walls of text cause this anime has really deep meanings that are hard to grasp just by watching it once and sometimes you might need help grasping the meaning as well so I suggest you watch this dude's vids about the anime, he explains literally everything in an amazing way.. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC71rpZEsHZKr56TkE7TsQaQ/videos
Sep 30, 2018 3:40 PM

Mar 2017
I love when series break the 4th wall in a unexpected way, so when my giraffe boi "WAKARIMASU" just told me what I was feeling at the moment, it really blew me away.
Loved how it explored multiple themes between the ideology of all the different girls. Banana is best girl btw. 10/10
Sep 30, 2018 8:01 PM

Apr 2013
A captivating show with tons of originality
Sep 30, 2018 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
Now that Karen and Hikari did position zero, maybe they can try some other ones.

Kirin-san please stop yelling at me.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 30, 2018 9:20 PM
Jul 2018
I'm probably going to get some flak for my opinion, but to me this felt like more of a cop out than episode 13 of Hanebado.

I've said in both of my previous comments that I wouldn't mind a happy ending as long as it wasn't tropey or didn't feel forced, but to me this felt like both. I even started searching for all the tropes that were used in this episode so I could post them here and write a wall of text about how I hate this kind of bullshit, but I stopped halfway and gave up thinking "Ah, fuck it. The rest of the anime was good enough, this isn't worth the effort".

I think I just have to give up on expecting anime to handle tropes and cliches in a good / smart way, since those that have managed to do it are few and far between.

Well, all in all this anime was a good watch and definitely a hidden gem of the season. The ending might've got on my nerves but it didn't detract my enjoyment of the show as a whole, though it definitely made me lower the score ¬_¬
removed-userOct 1, 2018 11:18 AM
Sep 30, 2018 10:48 PM
Apr 2018
HaruhiismX said:
The Giraffe being aware of us, and cheering with us was quite cool. I wasn’t too sure of the deeper plot in this series, but it was still wonderful nonetheless. (7/10)

Giraffe is not aware of us. Giraffe is us. Giraffe is a symbol of all the audience.
Sep 30, 2018 11:36 PM

Jan 2015
Two weeks ago, when asked my thoughts about where the show would possibly go, I said the following:

“I half expect some drawn out drama to unfold with Karen trying to process what Hikari just did to her. I assume she’ll build up the will to fight on, in spite of what happened. Either by herself, or with the help of the other girls. And either she’ll face off against Hikari again, or she’ll in some way appeal to Hikari... And/or, the final episodes will deal with the ‘Starlight’ performance proper, and Karen will end up crashing it, much in a similar fashion to how she initially stumbled onto the underground auditions. And everything will probably end with some grand estimation of their having accomplished their goal of being on stage together.”

All of which pretty much played out, in these last two episodes.

The series is fine. Just, sort of okay, to me. It wasn’t anything spectacular. And that’s because, somewhere along the way, it lost its cohesion, and whatever it was that drew me into it, at the beginning. For those that like it, for those that are head over heals in love with it, you rock. And I’m so glad that it worked for you in all the ways it didn’t for me. Peace.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Oct 1, 2018 6:59 AM

Dec 2014
sXeblues said:
Two weeks ago, when asked my thoughts about where the show would possibly go, I said the following:

“I half expect some drawn out drama to unfold with Karen trying to process what Hikari just did to her. I assume she’ll build up the will to fight on, in spite of what happened. Either by herself, or with the help of the other girls. And either she’ll face off against Hikari again, or she’ll in some way appeal to Hikari... And/or, the final episodes will deal with the ‘Starlight’ performance proper, and Karen will end up crashing it, much in a similar fashion to how she initially stumbled onto the underground auditions. And everything will probably end with some grand estimation of their having accomplished their goal of being on stage together.”

All of which pretty much played out, in these last two episodes.

The series is fine. Just, sort of okay, to me. It wasn’t anything spectacular. And that’s because, somewhere along the way, it lost its cohesion, and whatever it was that drew me into it, at the beginning. For those that like it, for those that are head over heals in love with it, you rock. And I’m so glad that it worked for you in all the ways it didn’t for me. Peace.

The series isn't big on the mystery part, it does have some reveals (ep 7 and 8) but aside from those 2, you can predict what's going to happen, heck even predict the ending from the first couple episodes, I think what's more important in those kind of predictable anime is the journey that leads to it, for me it did it right, for you not really and that is understandable.

Anyway just wanted to say that.
Oct 1, 2018 6:10 PM

Jan 2015
Jacob194 said:
The series isn't big on the mystery part, it does have some reveals (ep 7 and 8) but aside from those 2, you can predict what's going to happen, heck even predict the ending from the first couple episodes, I think what's more important in those kind of predictable anime is the journey that leads to it, for me it did it right, for you not really and that is understandable.

Anyway just wanted to say that.

I appreciate the civil and respectful response, very much... Thanks! And I’m glad that you enjoyed it. 🙂
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Oct 1, 2018 6:14 PM

Mar 2017
BatWeeb said:
I'm probably going to get some flak for my opinion, but to me this felt like more of a cop out than episode 13 of Hanebado.

I've said in both of my previous comments that I wouldn't mind a happy ending as long as it wasn't tropey or didn't feel forced, but to me this felt like both. I even started searching for all the tropes that were used in this episode so I could post them here and write a wall of text about how I hate this kind of bullshit, but I stopped halfway and gave up thinking "Ah, fuck it. The rest of the anime was good enough, this isn't worth the effort".

I think I just have to give up on expecting anime to handle tropes and cliches in a good / smart way, since those that have managed to do it are few and far between.

Well, all in all this anime was a good watch and definitely a hidden gem of the season. The ending might've got on my nerves but it didn't detract my enjoyment of the show as a whole, though it definitely made me lower the score ¬_¬
I wouldn't say it felt forced considering all the build up leading up to it, it was bound to end up that way. The characters all had different viewpoints on "Starlight" and Karen's was clearly that the original story was incomplete in her eyes and she felt she had the power to change it.
Oct 1, 2018 7:54 PM
Jul 2018
Major1234 said:
BatWeeb said:

I wouldn't say it felt forced considering all the build up leading up to it, it was bound to end up that way. The characters all had different viewpoints on "Starlight" and Karen's was clearly that the original story was incomplete in her eyes and she felt she had the power to change it.

I understand the implications of the ending and I already had a suspicion since the beginning that they were going to "force" it into a happy ending for Karen and Hikari just because they're the protagonists, that's basically Anime 101 and something that grinds my gears. I didn't like the execution of the episode and how cliche it was, thus making this the episode that I least enjoyed in the whole show. It also doesn't help that I got my hyped up after the time loop reveal only to be left extremely disappointed in the following episodes, making me enjoy this anime less and less every week until the finale.
Oct 1, 2018 8:04 PM

Mar 2017
BatWeeb said:
Major1234 said:

I understand the implications of the ending and I already had a suspicion since the beginning that they were going to "force" it into a happy ending for Karen and Hikari just because they're the protagonists, that's basically Anime 101 and something that grinds my gears. I didn't like the execution of the episode and how cliche it was, thus making this the episode that I least enjoyed in the whole show. It also doesn't help that I got my hyped up after the time loop reveal only to be left extremely disappointed in the following episodes, making me enjoy this anime less and less every week until the finale.
Huh I guess we just saw it differently, if its teased early on then I don't think its a forced ending. There was enough foreshadowing for the viewer to know how its going to end. In terms of how it represented the play "Starlight" in the final episode, I can't agree that it was cliche, both in its presentation and a 4th wall breaker that actually makes sense while not taking the viewer out of the story but rather engaging them in it even more so.

The Time Loop is definitely a highlight but it couldn't of kept going on and the only natural conclusion was for it to be stopped. I believe Juuna should of fought Nana in the fight to end the loop instead of Karen though.
Oct 1, 2018 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
Major1234 said:
BatWeeb said:

Huh I guess we just saw it differently, if its teased early on then I don't think its a forced ending. There was enough foreshadowing for the viewer to know how its going to end. In terms of how it represented the play "Starlight" in the final episode, I can't agree that it was cliche, both in its presentation and a 4th wall breaker that actually makes sense while not taking the viewer out of the story but rather engaging them in it even more so.

The Time Loop is definitely a highlight but it couldn't of kept going on and the only natural conclusion was for it to be stopped. I believe Juuna should of fought Nana in the fight to end the loop instead of Karen though.

This episode was full of cliches and they were pretty obvious and easy to spot, but then again this is a nitpick of mine with absolutely every anime because I grew tired of cliches and how they're used in this medium.

That's my biggest gripe with the Time Loop plot. The only thing that I took from it was that if they were not going to build on top of that then they shouldn't have done it in the first place. You don't take such a plot twist just to use it as a tool for character development and then throw it away a few episodes later, that thing was pure wasted potential, nothing else. Sure, it gave Banana a much needed character development, but they sure as hell could've done in a less exaggerated way.

The final fight was just cookie-cutter Anime 101 stuff, it didn't impress me one bit and Karen just went full shounen protagonist with that classic trope of "I'll keep coming back no matter how many times I fall down" and then one shotting Hikari in the end. The rest of the episode after the fight was just meh.

But even with all these pet peeves and nitpicks I still enjoyed it. I understand the ending, I understand why it happened, I understand what it represented, but I still feel that it was too cliche and meh.
removed-userOct 2, 2018 11:29 AM
Oct 2, 2018 3:53 AM

Oct 2007
Surprised by all the symbolisms. Karen-chan save Hikari from eternally solo performing the tragedy..

And nice, Hikari and Karen-chan got the lead roles. I do wonder how this happened.. Maya and Claudine gave up the roes voluntarily?

Giraffe you talk to the audience finally! :D

Fun show, and one of the pleasant surprises for me. A solid 8/10

Oct 2, 2018 4:39 AM

Nov 2009
Absolutely love, love, love this show! can't wait for the mobile game release now
Oct 2, 2018 9:12 AM

Aug 2010
These last two episodes have been kind of lackluster to me, the show's strength is definitely not in the "main" two girls.
Oct 2, 2018 11:40 PM

Dec 2012
At first I thought the series was going to be about an Idol Group, but I was so wrong. I enjoyed it thoroughly for what it was. A kiss would of been a nice touch in the end.

8/10 - Standard enjoyment
Oct 3, 2018 7:14 AM

Jan 2013
So, they kept reusing the same animation sequence until the end. Hikari really wanted to be a martyr for no apparent reason. The stories of other duos ended in a lackluster way. They were using the same lines from Starlight all over again instead of writing any meaningful dialogues. The anime tried to be deep and mysterious but apparently that was just to cover up how little content it had. Haven't seen such a wasted potential in a while, I'm giving it 5/10 for promising start, a few interesting moments midway and one or two messeges it managed to convey.
Oct 3, 2018 8:54 PM

Mar 2017
BatWeeb said:
Major1234 said:

This episode was full of cliches and they were pretty obvious and easy to spot, but then again this is a nitpick of mine with absolutely every anime because I grew tired of cliches and how they're used in this medium.

That's my biggest gripe with the Time Loop plot. The only thing that I took from it was that if they were not going to build on top of that then they shouldn't have done it in the first place. You don't take such a plot twist just to use it as a tool for character development and then throw it away a few episodes later, that thing was pure wasted potential, nothing else. Sure, it gave Banana a much needed character development, but they sure as hell could've done in a less exaggerated way.

The final fight was just cookie-cutter Anime 101 stuff, it didn't impress me one bit and Karen just went full shounen protagonist with that classic trope of "I'll keep coming back no matter how many times I fall down" and then one shotting Hikari in the end. The rest of the episode after the fight was just meh.

But even with all these pet peeves and nitpicks I still enjoyed it. I understand the ending, I understand why it happened, I understand what it represented, but I still feel that it was too cliche and meh.
"Anime 101" tends to be a term you like to use a lot. I feel there's enough originality within the show that it doesn't deserve to be called something like that.

The Time Loop had to be thrown away or else the plot would of never moved on. The Giraffe even pointed this out, the viewer would get bored and it succeeded in its job of giving development to Banana. It didn't need to stay any longer, that's one of the strengths of the show, with each character or set of characters they covered there was a different theme that came with it. It kept the show fresh and there was always something to ponder on after every episode.

I will say that Karen does get way too OP near the end but considering it was to change the Starlight ending to the one she wanted I'll let it slide. I don't see this series as cliche, especially compared to some of the other stuff that has come out this year but you do and that's fine. I think this franchise has some huge potential in the future if they keep up with it, so let's hope they can perfect this formula of storytelling because I found it to be very entertaining.
Oct 3, 2018 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
Major1234 said:
BatWeeb said:

"Anime 101" tends to be a term you like to use a lot. I feel there's enough originality within the show that it doesn't deserve to be called something like that.

The Time Loop had to be thrown away or else the plot would of never moved on. The Giraffe even pointed this out, the viewer would get bored and it succeeded in its job of giving development to Banana. It didn't need to stay any longer, that's one of the strengths of the show, with each character or set of characters they covered there was a different theme that came with it. It kept the show fresh and there was always something to ponder on after every episode.

I will say that Karen does get way too OP near the end but considering it was to change the Starlight ending to the one she wanted I'll let it slide. I don't see this series as cliche, especially compared to some of the other stuff that has come out this year but you do and that's fine. I think this franchise has some huge potential in the future if they keep up with it, so let's hope they can perfect this formula of storytelling because I found it to be very entertaining.

I'm not saying the series as whole is cliche, I'm saying the series uses cliches, every anime does, and that the final episode in particular used tropes I'm not fond of. There is originality in the story that's for sure, but the execution was mostly par for the course throughout most of the anime, that's why I used the term "Anime 101". I wasn't using it to describe the plot, just the execution of the series and especially the last episode which didn't feel special or emotional to me. Episode 11 was much better and set the expectations too high, I guess.

There definitely is potential, but I think we got a pretty decent closure for the 99th Class story, so if they ever continue it I hope they do it with new characters. Hopefully with more likable protagonists as well, because Karen and Hikari were my least favorite characters on this anime, everyone else shone much brighter than them.
removed-userOct 3, 2018 9:10 PM
Oct 3, 2018 9:04 PM

Mar 2017
BatWeeb said:
Major1234 said:

I'm not saying the series as whole is cliche, I'm saying the series uses cliches in a way I didn't like and that the last episode in particular used tropes I'm not fond of. There is originality in its story that's for sure, but the execution was mostly par for the course, that's why I used the term "Anime 101". I wasn't using it to describe the plot, just the directing and execution of the series and especially the last episode which didn't feel special or emotional to me.

There definitely is potential, but I think we got a pretty decent closure for the 99th Class story, so if they ever continue it I hope they do it with new characters.
Agreed, although a cameo from Banana would be nice.
Oct 4, 2018 7:46 PM

Jul 2015
That was a beautiful finale, the PV of this anime made it look promising but damn if it didn't deliver, all of my praise to Kinema Citrus and everyone involved in this project for the crazy effort they put on this work.

The execution of this story couldn't have been better, I loved the directing and how everything was made in a way that was quite easy to follow yet at the same time there is so much to analyze and appreciate. I need to rewatch this for a real final opinion but the initial one is outstanding, 9.5/10 and hopefully jumping to the 10 in the future.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2018

33 by splatongus »»
Jul 4, 7:05 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 1 Discussion

EGOIST - Aug 8, 2018

28 by mo_lave »»
May 15, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2018

27 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 25, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2018

49 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2018

87 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.