Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 24, 2017 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, it seems every background story will be tragic in some way or form.

A lot of focus on Shuryuu (the Monkey)...
The amount of shit she's going through at that time was actually hard to watch imo. Too bad it was inevitable that she would be the one to be in trouble..so obvious. At least she survived this episode lol
Oct 24, 2017 8:31 AM

Aug 2016
First time no Death in an episode wow
Speculating death order to be largely in reverse order of Chinese zodiac was wrong, I guess
一期一会
Oct 24, 2017 9:04 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Glad to see that Monkey really is a decent human being but I'm scared for her.....Yes we didn't get the same old Backtory = Death trend in this episode but there's always next week + she's up against the wildcard known as Rabbit that took out her rival Boar >.<
Oct 24, 2017 9:24 AM

Jun 2015
No deaths in this episode. That was unexpected. Got to see Monkey's backstory. She saved so many lives, but she also lost many lives. I saw a glimpse of Boar in her past. She's going to have a tough fight against Rabbit. At least she has Rat to help her.
Oct 24, 2017 9:27 AM
Sep 2015
From the way Rat's talking, I think he's the past winner of Juni Taisen, many times, like he's struck in the loop or something that he wins easily everytime that it he's so bored and sleepy through and through. This anime however will resolve in that will get him out of this loop?
Oct 24, 2017 9:27 AM

Sep 2011
I'm happy to see them breaking up the pattern a little, insofar as Monkey didn't get killed off this episode as predicted. Granted, could still be the next one, so we'll see. But even if the order of deaths does end up being predictable throughout, this series is pretty interesting in the "it's the journey not the destination" sort of way. Definitely one of the shows I look forward to each week!

EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Oct 24, 2017 9:35 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Monkey didn't die, AH SHIT! Is she actually going to the endgame with her backstory already on the table?

Interesting what they did here, also Rat gets more and more intriguing by the episodes.
Oct 24, 2017 9:57 AM

Dec 2014
This was probably the most interesting backstory so far, albeit I don't really like a pacifist character within a battle royale anime. I'd rather see them fight between each other, with a few twists here and there. I suppose this was a breather episode of sorts. I also think Saru has a high chance of "winning"; but I think they will kill her right before the end for a "twist".
We got a glimpse of Boar's mercenary days too
Oct 24, 2017 10:04 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
BAKANA
No one died this episode D:
Even tho im pretty sure she's still gonna die next episode, at least it break a little bit what they've been used to do this far.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 24, 2017 10:11 AM

Oct 2011
probably going to die next episode. oh sheep episode next time
Oct 24, 2017 10:16 AM

Jan 2015
no one died, that's quite unexpected! loved Misaki and her backstory, reminded me of Shiro but kind of.. less annoying. yet. uhh Rabbit is back. of all the characters I find him the most boring one :/ tbh didn't expect this anime to be so good, hope it won't let down
Oct 24, 2017 10:25 AM

Jul 2017
no one died, and ppl saying this was predictable
Oct 24, 2017 10:28 AM

Aug 2010
She survived that episode! haha

I found pretty crazy the way Monkey, just with words, made a part pretty hard to watch. The execution was really good here in my opinion. I didn't expect this anime to be so good neither.

This was a really good episode and I'm pretty excited for the next episode!
Oct 24, 2017 10:40 AM

Jan 2009
wow the monkey did not die this episode lol, no character death this episode thats weird lol

but that monkey's ability to transmute things is making her able to destroy a lot of things it seems
Oct 24, 2017 10:43 AM

Nov 2016
Monkeys dead would have been too sudden for an interesting character like her. Her backstory was my favorite one yet,also nice to see that they confirmed that she was the reason for Niwatoris change.

Pretty hyped for the fight against Usagi.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 24, 2017 10:44 AM

Sep 2016
lol nobody died
everybody, clap your hands
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 24, 2017 10:44 AM

Jul 2012
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY WE ARE FINALLY OFF THE PATTTERN "BACKGROUND MEANS DEATH"...
In the same episode.
I mean, Sharyu is too smart to survive this, let's be honest.
But, I had fun with this episode even thought the animation quality dropped a bit :S
I like the opening so much! :D
Sharyu is really wise. It was funny how she listened to Nezumi and then thought "Yeah, he is a teen" lololol
Although the first episodes were kinda predictable, one thing I can give to this anime is that the characters are trying to be smart about their predictament. That's good, after all they are all warriors and if they started to go full stupid mode I would be pissed XD

Rat said "you are always like this"...I'm having the impression he is repeating this fight all over. Now, why? My only theory would be he is trying to finish this with everyone alive. But then, he already lost it. Maybe he wants to save someone, not really everyone? Because if it was just finishing the fight he could use the wish for that, right? He could wish to finish the Juuni Teisen and bam. Over.

Now I'm pumped for the next episode!

akiraic said:
no one died, and ppl saying this was predictable

Well, the second and third episodes followed the same pattern of the first one, so it was predictable, especially the third episode. But, saying the entire anime is predictable is going too far, is not even close to the end yet...they can spin things around and throw some twists. In the end it is all abot the execution, I guess :D
taynisOct 24, 2017 10:54 AM

Oct 24, 2017 10:56 AM

Jul 2017
taynis said:

Well, the second and third episodes followed the same pattern of the first one, so it was predictable, especially the third episode. But, saying the entire anime is predictable is going too far, is not even close to the end yet...they can spin things around and throw some twists. In the end it is all abot the execution, I guess :D

One can also say that no one dying in this episode to give it a twist was also predictable. Like this comment was. Like death is.
Oct 24, 2017 10:56 AM
Jun 2014
Just throwing a random theory out there but Nezumi's "Killing All" might be how it's his job to killing all other participants of Juuni Taisen (maybe stuck in a time loop situation idk).
Oct 24, 2017 10:59 AM

Dec 2014
glad no one died in this episode... I hope the monkey survives
Oct 24, 2017 11:02 AM

Aug 2013
An episode where no one dies. Monkey's backstory was interesting and I don't want her to be killed off by Rabbit.

Oct 24, 2017 11:09 AM

Jul 2013
I like how I was more surprised to have Monkey surviving than having her dying. Tbh, I didn't expected the series to break the rule that fast. And, I'm grateful, since Monkey is so far not only the one with the best backstory, but probably the most likeable one. I liked her conversation with Rat and the "clash" of ideals between his cynical nature and her more "idealistic" beliefs.

Next episode features Sheep. Tbh, I like him a bit despite his lack of screentime, but I'm not sure if he is going to be as lucky as Monkey...
Oct 24, 2017 11:15 AM

Aug 2015
It is heart warming to have pacts of peace within a battle royal. Still, as idealistic as Shurryu is, this battle royal will only end in bloodshed.

I'm glad that she is a legit nice person and not a bitch in sheeps clothing.

Rat is throwing out more hints that he is a time traveler and has experienced this game with the same people over and over. The question is why. What could possibly be his goal?

It also seems that Usagi's necromancy extends to the subjects he uses.in other words what they kill gets controlled as well such as Tori's birds that were gunned down by boar. It could also mean he can see through their eyes giving him a wide vision range around the city.

Still not convinced that Horseis dead. I must see a body.
"I -AM- ELECTRICITY." -Gunvolt
Oct 24, 2017 11:19 AM

Apr 2015
- I believe Monkey will die the next episode. good backstory.
- I really dislike the Rabbit
- Rat being Homura is quite probable at this point. except we have no idea about his motivations. I like this
Oct 24, 2017 11:20 AM

Dec 2015
Monkey not dying after her backstory was revealed, now that's shocking.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 24, 2017 11:26 AM

Mar 2012
Ok, now I'm more sure of this theory since we got more clues that Nezumi has met Sharyu before. *cracks knuckles* Here we go.

I just wanted to say that I have not read the source material, so everything in my theory is from the four episodes of the anime that are out right now. I think that Nezumi was probably the last winner of the Juuni Taisen and that he wished to do it over again because he had some regrets. He mentions that Sharyu "always acts like this" so I believe that he partnered with her last time and that he has some regrets about how the end of the game went so he used the wish given to the winner of the game to redo everything and make it right, so to speak.

He is a lazy teenager, but he's smart too because he wouldn't have lasted this long otherwise. I think he knew from past experiences that Sharyu would protect him, so he immediately went with her this time around to make sure he would be safe again (while doing the least possible because it seems like he resents being a part of the game from what he said.) I believe that he is also the winner of a precious game because in his title it says "killer of all," which to me insinuates that all were killed by him in a previous game.

I saw other people comment that he might be a time traveler too, which would be a good explanation for why he's SO relaxed during this whole thing. For me at least, he already has a pretty good idea of how events are going to run down because he's already experienced this in another timeline. This is all conjecture, but I think I'm going to stick with this until we get more information.

I also think the ending song showing the order of characters, almost exactly in the order they died will play a part in the big reveal of who wins. Since snake is a zombie right now, I do not think he counts as "dead" yet because his corpse is still moving around. I also think the Horse is still alive but barely somewhere underground because we did not see Ox fully kill him. (We only insinuated that he was dead because we saw Ox come out when he cornered Chicken last episode.)

Just throwing this out there for now. I'm interested to hear everyone else's theories about Nezumi. He definitely seems to have met everyone before the game started. (Dog and Chicken also said they had met him before and were feeling a sense of déjà vu while around him.)
Oct 24, 2017 11:27 AM

May 2014
Sheep's VA sounded like Brook to me, looking forward to see what he does.

Unless he kills Monkey.. Pls no.

Pretty spectacular episode, I see the art is not as good as it was, which was expected, but it's still good so it's ok.
Also, I was pretty confused when we saw Horse fiighting Ox again..

Oct 24, 2017 11:34 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
So happy that Monkey is still alive, I really love her! Sad backstory, too.

As some people already mentioned, I have the feeling that the characters are caught in a time loop and only Rat remembers every detail. However, in the previous episodes most people said that they have seen or heard Rat before but couldn't remember where.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Oct 24, 2017 11:40 AM

Jan 2009
also glad that the theory about Monkey's ability is to brainwash others like Chicken is so wrong lol she is just too pure of a good person

Monkey's real ability is transmutation
Oct 24, 2017 11:47 AM

Jun 2014
Monkey definitely has the best backstory so far, and thankfully she didn't die. If they're going to break the pattern for the first time, I'm glad it was for her because she's really interesting and seems like a good contender for winning this thing. Hopefully she won't die in the next episode.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying about the possibility of Rat being the previous winner and potentially being stuck in a time loop and whatnot. He's constantly giving hints that he has experienced this before, so I'm really looking forward to learning more about him eventually since he's been so mysterious.

ZoroZoldyck said:
Sheep's VA sounded like Brook to me, looking forward to see what he does.

Yeah they have the same VA.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 24, 2017 11:48 AM
Jul 2014
Thank god Monkey didn't die this episode. Still a bit skeptical though as she could still die at the beginning of next week's episode, but we'll just have to see. Sheep is next week.
Oct 24, 2017 11:52 AM

Jul 2014
Thank God the pattern broke...well, not really, we'll have to wait until the next episode to confirm it, but I'm glad Monkey didn't die in this episode.

Oct 24, 2017 11:52 AM
Oct 2007
COMBO broken!! or not :P Guess we have to wait for the next episode.

Hopefully there's a fight and a good one since in episode one, Warrior of Rabbit vs Warrior of Boar was pretty exciting (despite short).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2017 11:53 AM

Jan 2016
Despite the fact that there were no deaths this week, I'm becoming more convinced that the order will follow the reverse Chinese Zodiac, with accounting for Snake by having the corpse of Snake eliminated where Snake should've died instead, since it would occur before Rabbit in order anyway.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Oct 24, 2017 12:12 PM

Oct 2017
Everyone is rejoicing that the Monkey didn't die this episode, not that I can blame them, but are you all forgetting that her battle with the Rabbit is just about to begin? Well, I'm not saying anything anymore (except, why didn't I notice that the Rabbit is wearing pumps?). But if you're looking for a 'break in the pattern' so to speak, where a character's backstory is focused in an episode and that character dies subsequently, I hear

It's interesting to read others' theories about what Nezumi can do. But seriously, if you're too curious about Nezumi, his ability has already been revealed in the juuni-taisen (the one with the dash '-') wikia. Clues about his ability is starting to surface though.

I guess we're finally going to see Tiger again next week? Either that or they'll go for a cliffhanger again.
Oct 24, 2017 12:15 PM
Aug 2014
Live to be in another episode.
Oct 24, 2017 12:25 PM

Jan 2016
Sharyu best girl! Deffo deserves the stay.
I really don't want her to die, but since it's inevitable, at least let her show that one motherfucker of a stripper bunny some dark ass transmutation first

Oct 24, 2017 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
DigitalVirus said:
Just throwing a random theory out there but Nezumi's "Killing All" might be how it's his job to killing all other participants of Juuni Taisen (maybe stuck in a time loop situation idk).

Nah, according to Jisho, ujya ujya korosu has more of a "killing in swarms" meaning.
Seeing the translations from the link, it most likely has this meaning: The mice attack in a large number and kill the enemy slowly.
But who knows.

After this i hope Sharyu survives. Or that at least she isn't killed this early.
Oct 24, 2017 12:35 PM
Apr 2016
Those dirty masses are unworthy of Monkey. Yet it is even more the reason to stand up to those one-dimensional realists! At least they slapped everyone with it through the screen.
Re:formed
Oct 24, 2017 12:36 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Pretty good episode overall. It still is basically gonna follow the same "character's background and then death" format but I dont mind it at all. I hope Monkey somehow doesnt kick the bucket though but thats probably asking for too much. She really has no ill intentions of killing and I would like to know what her other plans at winning are. But as of now, she and Rat are gonna be busy fighting thicc bunny boi and dead snake.

I'm excited to see how it all plays out next week!
Oct 24, 2017 12:36 PM

Mar 2013
This ep was so boring compared to the others. I was hoping Monkey'd die already goddamnit - I don't wanna suffer another week of worst girl.
Oct 24, 2017 12:41 PM
Apr 2016
poptartnyan said:

Just throwing this out there for now. I'm interested to hear everyone else's theories about Nezumi. He definitely seems to have met everyone before the game started. (Dog and Chicken also said they had met him before and were feeling a sense of déjà vu while around him.)

People were throwing "Rat the Dreamwalker" theory around since day 1, but it might just have some truth to it. Rat knew that Sharyu always is an ardent pacifist, true to her true ideals, which means he *fathomed* her existence. He also knew that Chicken was a liar, yet slowly crumbling upon imposing ideals of Monkey. He *fathomed* Chicken as well. It seems that he is something like "Junko" from Danganronpa, yet on a neutral scale - he has complete information in regards to people surrounding him, yet does not seem to be able to decipher their future behaviour. That is why he quickly agreed to Sharyu's proposal - he knew she is honest and did not lie about her intentions. Though, his talks about much trash saved, how he hated them in high school... your typical adolescent revolutionism. But still, quite interesting where it goes.
Oct 24, 2017 12:54 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Monkey is a bit more interesting than I gave her credit for. Let's see if she can survive and break the mould of narrator dying.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 24, 2017 12:57 PM

Mar 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
poptartnyan said:

People were throwing "Rat the Dreamwalker" theory around since day 1, but it might just have some truth to it. Rat knew that Sharyu always is an ardent pacifist, true to her true ideals, which means he *fathomed* her existence. He also knew that Chicken was a liar, yet slowly crumbling upon imposing ideals of Monkey. He *fathomed* Chicken as well. It seems that he is something like "Junko" from Danganronpa, yet on a neutral scale - he has complete information in regards to people surrounding him, yet does not seem to be able to decipher their future behaviour. That is why he quickly agreed to Sharyu's proposal - he knew she is honest and did not lie about her intentions. Though, his talks about much trash saved, how he hated them in high school... your typical adolescent revolutionism. But still, quite interesting where it goes.

If he does have that sort of information that would be very interesting. I wonder how he will handle the fight with Snake and Rabbit next episode. It seems as if Rabbit has some possessed birds on his side as well, so I really wonder what he's going to do. He must know a weakness of Rabbit or Snake since he agreed to help Sharyu fight them. I can see them beating Rabbit and Snake or getting turned into zombies as two highly probably outcomes of the next fight.

However, since next episode is the Sheep's ep I think that perhaps while fighting Sheep will trigger and explosion of the entire city and that it will stop the fight mid-way, probably by separating Rabbit's group from Nezumi's. If they DO end up fighting Nezumi better pull something out of his sleepy butt or else I don't see him winning. Sharyu will probably use her ability to topple a building or two in hopes that the rubble will work as a barrier. I guess we will see what happens next week!

Also, for the Dreamwalker theory, do you mean that Nezumi controls people via their dreams or that he has all of needed information from jumping into their psyche? I've read a few people's theories about his influence on dreams, but I'm not fully certain as to what you think of his ability. :) Thanks for responding, though, because you gave me some more things to think about.
Oct 24, 2017 1:07 PM
Apr 2016
More like collecting all the information about them through dreams, not directly influecing them. Hence why everyone has a dejavu about him, probably saw his sillhouette invading their dreams or something of sorts.
I think They will get separated, and Sheep might get the short stick. I also would like to see Ox jumping out of nowhere to save Monkey.
Oct 24, 2017 1:16 PM

Jan 2009
high chance there will be double deaths next episode, monkey is one of the death and the other one im not sure
Oct 24, 2017 1:25 PM

Mar 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
More like collecting all the information about them through dreams, not directly influecing them. Hence why everyone has a dejavu about him, probably saw his sillhouette invading their dreams or something of sorts.
I think They will get separated, and Sheep might get the short stick. I also would like to see Ox jumping out of nowhere to save Monkey.
Awesome, thanks for responding! I still wonder if that's enough to keep him safe from Rabbit and eventually Ox because those two seem to have much more physical strength and capabilities than he does. We'll see if he can out-wit Rabbit and Snake next week. I personally don't see him as a particularly strong fighter by himself. Someone else said they thought that his ability meant that he is able to control hordes of rats, which would give him more of a chance of winning. I'm rooting for him because I want to see more of his character. I just hope that if he does have all of the information beforehand it's enough to give him an equal footing with the more physically "stacked" characters. (I think if he went into a fist fight with some of these characters he would be thrown around like a ragdoll, so he has to use some other means of fighting.)
Oct 24, 2017 1:28 PM

Jun 2016
Hated Saru up until this episode, I have a little more respect for her, but still, Usagi in heels, yes pls.

Oct 24, 2017 1:33 PM

Oct 2017
poptartnyan said:
I also think the ending song showing the order of characters, almost exactly in the order they died will play a part in the big reveal of who wins. Since snake is a zombie right now, I do not think he counts as "dead" yet because his corpse is still moving around. I also think the Horse is still alive but barely somewhere underground because we did not see Ox fully kill him. (We only insinuated that he was dead because we saw Ox come out when he cornered Chicken last episode.)

The part where snake is a zombie and doesn't count as dead really does shake things. What if more dies and becomes a zombie and they won't count as dead, then I guess that will be the twist on the whole 'ED shows the order of characters dying' theory.

Theories about Nezumi? Actually not a theory, but his ability is one that will explain why he's tired and feeling sleepy all the time and why some characters find him familiar and it doesn't involve time traveling.
Oct 24, 2017 1:46 PM

Oct 2014
Monkey had a pretty interesting backstory, I feel like I understand her character more now. Her conversation with Rat was really involving. I'm glad she didn't die this episode, I'm hoping she can win it.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should I avoid watching the ED until after I've finished the series?

Jax - Jan 22

4 by StarlightShiba »»
Jan 31, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2017

211 by Stuntdrath »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2017

197 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2017

112 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2017

222 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.