Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2019 10:11 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Ebisu villagers can't feel sorrow?! Wow.

Looks like we got some info dump about Smile fruits. Only 10% chance of gaining an abillty. Can't wait to see some Zoro and Sanji action next.
May 23, 2019 10:12 PM

Nov 2016
One Piece after a break is always awesome, even more so with an interesting chapter such as this.

As already mentioned by Hiyori at the end of the last chapter, the Smile robbed the people of their capability to show sadness properly. It's still kinda crazy to think that this fate befalled most who had the misfortune to eat one of the man-made devilfruits. Given that they were made by Ceasar, I guess it's no surprise that they are total shit. "Win" and you end up looking like a total freak, lose and you have to laugh for the rest of your life, this further cements Ceasar as the loser he is xD But who knows, it would be cool if it will turn out that the people of Ebisu can transform later down the line.

And am I dreaming or do we really get some good old Zoro + Sanji badassery after many years? Let's go.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 23, 2019 10:21 PM

Mar 2015
background chapter with nice twist. still, the pace feel much slower than necessary tbh. probably spoiled by zou and raverie arc.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 23, 2019 10:25 PM

Feb 2018
Good chapter a bit too slow imo but I still really enjoyed it

That ending is hypeeee I wished so long for zoro and sanji to fight tag team, cant wait for next week
Also I wonder for how many years we waited to see them reunited
May 23, 2019 10:36 PM

Dec 2013
A lot of great information about the smiles.

Zoro and Sanji are together!
May 23, 2019 10:38 PM
Sep 2010
sanji and zoro together again at last.
this is the first scene they've shared in present day since chapter 722 on 30/09/2013.
that's 2,062 days ago!!

they had a short flashback together in 723 so if you count that just take 7 days of the number lol
May 23, 2019 10:51 PM

Apr 2016
wow, that's some pretty messed up stuff that Orochi did, I was happy to get a bit more information on the SMILEs, its starting to make more sense now
but so depressing TT^TT
finally Sanji and Zoro meet again!!
May 23, 2019 10:52 PM

Jan 2008
Oh, man. I felt that in my soul. Deep cuts and such a lore dump. I want so much karma to come at these bastards.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
May 23, 2019 10:59 PM

Nov 2012
Nice, we got the explanation so fast.

Those 9 scabbards were so different back then lol, especially Kinemon and Kiku.

Zoro and Sanji vs Hawkins and Drake hype?
May 24, 2019 1:15 AM

Jun 2015
Zoro will chew on Sanji HARD on the next chapter.
May 24, 2019 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
Big info dump, always appreciated. This time about SMILEs and Kaido's crew hierarchy.

Only 10% chance, and to top it off they had to name it after the failures.

Good old Zoro and Sanji rivalry
May 24, 2019 3:55 AM

Aug 2016
Sanji & Zoro team up, shit is about the get messy.
Next week, ass whooping handed out left and right.
While Zoro mocks Sanji for causing problems & Sanji mocks Zoro for having a lower bounty.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
May 24, 2019 3:59 AM

Nov 2012
Hey guys apparently the editor comment for next week's Jump issue says something like "next issue, the rivals' long time awaited reunion, unfortunately cut short?"

What does that mean? Here's the source if you're interested.
SuperRedMay 24, 2019 4:05 AM
May 24, 2019 4:00 AM

Jun 2014
Man, this chapter was great. I hate Orochi so fuckin much, and Kaido is pissing me off as well. It would be interesting to find out how Luffy will reach when he hears the story of the SMILE fruit. And Zoro was pissed to no end. Sanji as well. Can't wait for the new chapter.
May 24, 2019 5:15 AM
Apr 2016
Viltas said:
I loved the Zoro panels, he looked so damn pissed.

Yes I thought Zoro could jump anytime on Orochi
EijunShigenoMay 24, 2019 5:19 AM
May 24, 2019 7:05 AM

Nov 2016
I'm far from knowledgeable about the Japanese culture so take the following interpretation with a grain of salt. The people of Ebisu seem to portray a certain characteristic you often hear about when it comes to Japanese people. It's common that they will always try to stay polite and SMILE even during stressful situations, even tho they feel anger on the inside. So these chapters could contain a social-commentary by Oda.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 24, 2019 7:08 AM
Apr 2016
FMmatron said:
I'm far from knowledgeable about the Japanese culture so take the following interpretation with a grain of salt. The people of Ebisu seem to portray a certain characteristic you often hear about when it comes to Japanese people. It's common that they will always try to stay polite and SMILE even during stressful situations, even tho they feel anger on the inside. So these chapters could contain a social-commentary by Oda.

Interesting approach
May 24, 2019 7:18 AM

Oct 2015
SuperRed said:
Hey guys apparently the editor comment for next week's Jump issue says something like "next issue, the rivals' long time awaited reunion, unfortunately cut short?"

What does that mean? Here's the source if you're interested.

literally just sanji and zoro fight gonna be interrupted again lul
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
May 24, 2019 11:05 AM

Jun 2014
I liked the info dump we got about the Smile fruits, but man that's so fucked up.

Zoro looked so PIIISSSSSED throughout the whole chapter, hopefully he and Sanji fuck shit up next week.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 24, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2012
SuperRed said:

That person is not Kiku, i strongly believe that is Izou the 16th division commander of Whitebeard Pirates. Looks like he was originally one of the 9 scabbards and once he left they recruited Kiku which explains why she is younger than the others.
sanovagobongMay 24, 2019 11:25 AM
May 24, 2019 11:36 AM

Jul 2014
Zoro looked so damn pissed and badass!
May 24, 2019 11:46 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Oda you mad man, what a wild chapter that was, it got everything we asked for. It's very interesting how Oda chose that naming scheme, the waiters, the gifters, and the pleasures and even more interesting that the smiles retain their side-effects even after they've been bitten, not only that, but unlike legit devil fruits, they do taste good (as mentioned by the people in the flashback).

I know we've all been waiting for this reunion between Zoro and Sanji for so long, probably a duo vs duo, Zoro and Sanji vs Drake and Hawking incoming.
May 24, 2019 11:46 AM

Nov 2012
sanovagobong said:
SuperRed said:

That person is not Kiku, i strongly believe that is Izou the 16th division commander of Whitebeard Pirates. Looks like he was originally one of the 9 scabbards and once he left they recruited Kiku which explains why she is younger than the others.

Eh I think you're overthinking it, Oda likes to keep things simple, all those 9 people are simply younger versions of the current scabbards. Kiku simply got a makeover once she stopped being a ruffian.

As much as I would love to have a Whitebeard commander in Wano, I don't feel this is the best way to introduce him, besides, if Izou was part of Oden's group he would have left the Whitebeard pirates like Dog and Cat did to join Oden on the Roger crew.
May 24, 2019 12:04 PM
Oct 2016
This was an amazing chapter from start to finish, we got to see in detail why the smile fruits are related to the villagers. We also get to see Zoro and Sanji meet again for the first time in five years. I also liked the flashback with Yasue and the nine red scabbards.
May 24, 2019 12:30 PM
Sep 2018
Zoro & sanji please do something badass, I miss all the zoro and sanji action we use to get
May 24, 2019 1:10 PM
Mar 2015
Interesting that they destroyed the factory that was producing artificial devil fruit The devil fruit that turned people into beasts to expand their forces was kind of vicious
May 24, 2019 1:47 PM

Aug 2012
SuperRed said:
sanovagobong said:

Eh I think you're overthinking it, Oda likes to keep things simple, all those 9 people are simply younger versions of the current scabbards. Kiku simply got a makeover once she stopped being a ruffian.

As much as I would love to have a Whitebeard commander in Wano, I don't feel this is the best way to introduce him, besides, if Izou was part of Oden's group he would have left the Whitebeard pirates like Dog and Cat did to join Oden on the Roger crew.
You may be right. I thought the hair style looked exactly like Izou's. But it is stated that Kiku was an apprentice of Kinemon and i doubt they will accept someone apprentice level to 9 scabbards. However Izou maybe joined the Whitebeard Pirates after the death of Oden, and never traveled with Dog, Cat and Oden before with Roger and Whitebeard. (just trying to keep this theory alive ^^ )
May 24, 2019 2:24 PM

Nov 2018
Sanji and Zoro about to forget all about Orochi and throw hands then and there.

May 24, 2019 2:44 PM
Mar 2018
Emoitons of all sorts in one chapter. The deadly duo of Straw Hats in the same frame after a long time.
May 24, 2019 4:15 PM
Dec 2012
Very good Chapter! Sanji and Zoro fighting together after all these years 😁. I cant wait to see how that will turn out. I am also wondering how luffy will respond after he finds out the story behind SMILE. I hope the pace picks up Tho.
May 24, 2019 6:33 PM

May 2015
@sanovagobong Izou is already confirmed to be from Wano as well (6th databook). I thought the same, to me, it's definitely Izou. Just waiting for official confirmation now.
May 24, 2019 8:40 PM
Jan 2015
I liked how this was already prepared /referenced from introduction of smile devil fruit back then at punk hazard arc , kaidou's crew from Zou , and even that kid's constant laughter..one of the best storytelling like usual

May 24, 2019 9:04 PM

Feb 2017
This new info makes the SMILES even more scarier now. Hopefully they’ll be able to regain the ability to get sad and mad again. It’s also nice seeing Zoro and Sanji next to each other again.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
May 25, 2019 1:21 AM

Jan 2016
This make Doflamingo and Caesar more evil than we know.

Also, Sanji-Zoro hype.
May 25, 2019 4:08 AM

Feb 2010
Uh... the tension between Sanji and Zoro, I can't tell what are they more pissed at, the whole situation with Toko, Orochi and the SMILES, or the other for stepping into the spotlight lmao hahaha

Also, knowing the loss of someone you love, seeing it, but also knowing that you're only feeling happiness or laughing because you're unable to feel sorrow, sadness, anger... my god, such a deep cruelty

I'm looking forward to the next chapter and seeing them going wild.
May 25, 2019 6:16 AM

Aug 2012
Fang said:
@sanovagobong Izou is already confirmed to be from Wano as well (6th databook). I thought the same, to me, it's definitely Izou. Just waiting for official confirmation now.
Yes, looked around the internet today and there are others who also think that person is Izou. I know he is from Wano. And at the end of the Marinford War (chapter 580) you can see Izou not with his pistols but a katana.
Anyway, Oda will reveal 9 scabbards in future chapters along with Denjiro and Kawamatsu. Probably with a flashback about Oden's death.
May 25, 2019 2:08 PM

Jul 2012
"Outside the chapter's name, no actual smiles were actually shown during this chapter's production"
- Shounen Jump HQ

Also, we didn't have a Zoro & Sanji moment for about 5 years now, and this scene couldn't have been better without it <3

Orochi just surpassed DoFlamingo in my ranking of incredibly despicable One Piece villains that need to be heavily punished.

He is grotesque even for Kaidou's own standards at that, what a devil.
May 26, 2019 5:30 AM

Dec 2014
that that was horrilbe thing to do to the people.... the poor lads
May 26, 2019 5:57 AM

Feb 2013
I hate Orochi with a burning passion!
He needs to die!!
May 26, 2019 3:46 PM
May 2019
i thought that SMILE is a positive sign that gave power for its users,
and SAD is a negative sign indicate for the failure of the experiments or something like that..

then what the hell is SAD means , i don't remember if it's mentioned before or if we have any sign...
May 26, 2019 4:30 PM

Mar 2008
That was a great chapter. What a sad story though, I feel bad for O-Toko :(
May 28, 2019 7:56 PM

Dec 2014
The truth of SMILE, all those poor people. :(
Poor O-Toko, she can't even mourn the loss of her own father. :(

Loved that little flashback with the nine samurai but younger being reprimanded by Yasuie for trying to steal but neverthless he gives them the money and tells them to be stronger more intelligent people for Oden. :(

Zoro was hella mad this entire chapter.

Last panel was top tier. xD
Jun 1, 2019 10:14 AM
Aug 2016
So that is why Sanji met o-Toko and Zorro met Tonoyasu, for this sad and badass moment, Oda is the GOAT🐐
Jun 21, 2019 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
Wow the whole explanation of the Smile of the devil fruits is a lot more fucked up than we think it is and it makes a lot of sense with the devil fruit villains we all see that all they do is laugh.
Oda is seriously a god for foreshadowing this and the explanation is in this chapter.
Sep 27, 2019 4:20 AM

Dec 2015
This is why I love Oda. Everything just makes so much sense. Everything in this chapter is believable. I love it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 22, 2020 9:36 PM

Aug 2012
Probably my favourite chapter in the Wano arc yet. I liked getting all the different perspectives on the events throughout the singular explanation, from Zoro's to Sanji's to Luffy in the jail, and the Smile Devil Fruits exposition was really good. The three different group categories, and how evil it made Orochi be, how he used those leftover Devil Fruits just to punish those on the outskirts is one of the most just flat-out cruel and evil things someones done in the series. And I love how it was then Oda decide to show Sanji's reaction, everyone being angered at this makes sense like Zoro, but I do like how Oda tied Sanji's moment specifically to the towns otherwise starvation, since it directly ties to his own backstory, which made the moment more effective. And having Zoro and Sanji appear once again finally after hundreds of chapters in this bad-ass moment like this was fantastic. And I liked how Toko's connection to Sanji and Usopp's jobs came back up, or Zoro's with Yasu, just feels like a lot of things paid off in this chapter for the dramatic rescue/unintended reunion of Zoro and Sanji.
Nov 13, 2022 11:12 AM

May 2021
As of this moment, Sanji has a higher bounty than Zoro but Zoro has slept with a woman. Can't wait.

Jun 15, 2023 10:24 PM

Dec 2022
man oh man this arc is dark

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1115 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 21

52 by GeoRush »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 699 Discussion ( 1 2 )

PirateKingz - Feb 20, 2013

91 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
Yesterday, 8:08 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 1

46 by Shortwing53 »»
Yesterday, 8:18 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 418 Discussion

VARIAchan - Sep 29, 2010

9 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
Yesterday, 2:34 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 601 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

schroedernoah - Oct 19, 2010

107 by Camyy »»
May 23, 6:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.