Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2017 4:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I feel bad for Minori tbh. Her classmates makes fun of her although there's one guy that stands up for her. Turns out, this is both a serious short (not full length) serious show.

My first impressions of this episode was okay, it did give some background storytelling of the main girl. I do expect more of that to develop. Visually, this series felt average imo.
Jul 12, 2017 8:43 AM

Jun 2013
Theres way too many fucking shorts this season
I Was really excited for this too!
On the bright side, the episode was pretty good, even if all those kids were really pissing me off.
SakurasouBustersJul 12, 2017 8:59 AM
Jul 12, 2017 8:48 AM

May 2010
That was mostly boring.
Didn't like how it starts with everyone being a coward. They almost look cross-eyed at some points too.
Jul 12, 2017 8:49 AM

Apr 2017
Hmm The tone of the OST is kinda off..

But with a mixed of a well and good mood atmosphere, it's even better

*Somehow there are always have a meaning of this story*

>Cause I'm feeling it... way more deeper

4.56 + 10 as a bonus

Overall 4.66/5

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 12, 2017 9:16 AM

Jun 2015
Those are some terrible students. I feel really bad for Minori. Takashi and Kyouko wanted to help her, but they are too much of a coward to do anything.
Jul 12, 2017 9:48 AM

Aug 2013
What is happening in this season? So many shorts of the series which normally would get a full time episodes?
Anyway I'm really excited about the story. Can't wait for next episode.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 12, 2017 9:49 AM

Jul 2014
Hmm, so this is a short? Oh well, I suppose that's fine, especially considering this was a reasonably solid first episode, even if I still have absolutely no idea what this show is actually going to do after the initial setup is established.
Jul 12, 2017 11:23 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
So is this like a poor man's version of Koe no Katachi or what?
Jul 12, 2017 12:40 PM

May 2010
The shittiest of all trends continues, more and more shorts every season.
Almost none of them are worth watching.

Jul 12, 2017 1:33 PM

Oct 2016
Welp, new anime studio "drop" and their first anime is this.
Animation wise, there's not much for me to hate besides the weird eyes and the skin tones being overall a little more tan than I'm used to, but that's just a personal thing.
The whole 10 minutes deal is very annoying and animation isn't flashy enough to make up for it.
The plot is soooo typical.
A bullied girl story, as if we hadn't heard that one a million times.
Seriously, real teachers actually notice if other people are bullying each other, and real kids are more subtle when they are bullying each other.
We could've gotten more information in the 10 minutes besides "Girl is bullied", like "Girl is bullied because ____" or "Girl is timid, but is actually _____", something to add more value and flavor to this episode.

The synopsis MAL provides is "The story centers around an illness-stricken, constantly bullied orphan girl named Minori. After one rainy day, she doesn't turn up at school, having been admitted into a hospital in a distant town. Two months pass, and the girl's two school friends, Takashi and Kyouko, receive a mysterious email with no sender listed. The email reveals a summer festival taking place at a nearby town..."

This is a pretty interesting premise, and it would've been nice if they established this starting point in the first episode, or maybe even the second.
But the way this is paced, it appears this synopsis won't be fulfilled till 4, maybe 6 episodes.
The idea of "a mysterious email" linked to "a summer festival taking place at a near town" could go a lot of ways, but I know that they will find the most boring way to use this.

In short, this first episode is trash, it may get better, but the beginning is already really bad.
Jul 12, 2017 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
Ehhh I think this one looks alright. Though I think this doesn't work in the slot it has compared to others, but it doesn't really lean towards anything downhill for me I guess?

Won't deny that the artstyle looks kinda weird, but it isn't shit in a way. It's just... weird in a sort of interesting thing way? I don't know how to put it.
Jul 12, 2017 2:19 PM

Nov 2012
Honestly everything felt way too forced.
The over the top "look this girl is being bullied, we are bullying her, can you see" got old really fast.
Jul 12, 2017 2:37 PM

May 2015
Oh god, this looks rather bad... The whole bullying was nasty though.

Jul 12, 2017 3:25 PM

Nov 2016
Hmm the art wasn't really impressive and storywise it was dull too. Gonna keep watching this just to see how things will develop.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 12, 2017 3:38 PM

Sep 2015
that was so generic, even the OP/ED! Only the chara design is kinda "new"? not a fan though
Let's see what those three characters can do in the future

(why is everyone complaining about short anime? :thinking:)
Jul 12, 2017 5:18 PM

Jul 2009
This show is all about bullying a retarded child?
Jul 12, 2017 8:22 PM

Dec 2014
first episode really pulled me in...I felt bad for the minori...is this one of those with a sad ending or something.... hmmm
Jul 12, 2017 8:41 PM

Aug 2014
Other than the production, it was fine. From the synopsis, I will expect the MC to lure her only two friends away while she wipes out the school. Or the usual catharsis, whatever.
QuattroVaginasJul 12, 2017 8:56 PM
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 12, 2017 9:37 PM

Oct 2008
another bullying anime show!? I hope they all enter redemption mode! (lolz koe no katachi)

Jul 13, 2017 12:30 AM

Jun 2012
Wow that was really shitty
Jul 13, 2017 1:14 AM
Sep 2015
xXxAeonXx said:
Honestly everything felt way too forced.
The over the top "look this girl is being bullied, we are bullying her, can you see" got old really fast.
Shuhan said:
Wow that was really shitty

I couldn't like the animation, but that's because it's the first anime that drop studio produces.
As for the plot, I agree with the users saying it's cliché. Bullying is nothing like that and never ever ever a whole class would bully a person. It's usually 1 person bullying another one or a small group. They are trying too much to make us feel bad for Minori
This anime doesn't make any sense, I hope I don't drop it (excuse the pun)
Jul 13, 2017 2:19 AM

Dec 2014
Okay start, thought this was full length, too bad it's not.

Feel bad for Minori, her classmates are a bunch of pricks. Really hope Takashi and Kyouko can help her out.
Jul 13, 2017 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
A bullied girl, almost whole class bully her and 2 people don't want to take risk to help her. Interesting theme even though art and ost aren't good.
I hope the story will be great.
Jul 13, 2017 10:00 AM

Feb 2016
this is basically a low budget version of Koe no Katachi with weekly 9 minutes episode the same but cheaper xDxDxD
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 13, 2017 1:38 PM

Aug 2013
I though this was a full length so I wasn't planning to watch.

Poor Minori. I feel bad for her. Those classmates pissed me off.

This little short is bringing real life elements like bullying and peer pressure. It really is a serious show.

Jul 13, 2017 7:41 PM

May 2015
This not being a full-length TV show is already a disappointment.

I can deal with comedy shows being this short, but not something like this, so I’m out...

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jul 13, 2017 8:57 PM
Feb 2012
I was on the lookout for this anime before I knew it would be a short one.
We used to get 2-5 short anime but now there's at least 12 . No Japan not like this.
Jul 13, 2017 11:04 PM

Jan 2011
Not too bad for their first anime, I guess.
Jul 13, 2017 11:22 PM

Nov 2009
I don't get where they're even going with this... and even though it's a short, it was rather painful to sit through it, so I guess I'll do what the studio's name advises me to do and drop it.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 14, 2017 10:21 PM

Sep 2015
A short... for a series like this, not a good sign.
Reading the description seemed to have a decent potential for character development.
but... the short series will kill any chance at this.
Why so many short series this season...

The opening and ending sounds nice, nothing too special but I like it. The voice acting is pretty bad. I don't speak Japanese and I can tell.
Or at least sounds subpar acting.

The bullying is over the top, forced and stupid. I really did like the parts when there are a few that wants to stand up for her but don't have the courage.
I can imagine them developing over time. But once again this short episode ruined any chance it had.

First problem is that the bullying is quickly developed without proper character introduction. Long exposition instead. Tell instead of show. That is already a bad sign and evidence of it being rushed to fit the time.
Another problem is that while they told us she gets bullied, they also show this in very exaggerated manner making it hard to just immerse yourself in to the story.
It is redundant to explain that she gets bullied then follow up with showing her get bullied.

Get rid of that exposition and tone down the exaggeration and it would be fine.

The next part could of been so good but once again time... At the end, the two what seems to be siblings or friends... idk... They didn't even get a basic introduction, Was their name even given?
This is a problem... A big one. They seem to be important character, and one I expect to grow over the course of the story....
Obviously Minori will, get friends and become less quiet, but these two probably will also gain more courage. Problem is those two names don;t ring a bell at all.

9 min episode with 1:40 of it OP. We don't need the whole thing to be her getting bullied, we could of use some better introduction personally. And then some signs of bullying, but not so obvious nor do they need to tell us outright.
For a short, I don't expect the first episode to set everything down, I can accept it for the 2nd episode to finish everything up.

Anyway, the last part when the two was at the roof, they could of removed the monologues. Or at least make the monologue less direct. Rather than tell us they are afraid, they could of showed us, and they already in fact did.
But they want to set that up entirely because of the lack of time. If there were more time, we can see them not caring too much initially.
Then eventually contemplating on helping. Then finally trying but unable to do so.
And some more later character growth. We skip all the early phases of why they care and how this exactly begun anyways.

if this was a full sized episode, I think it would of worked out much better.

Also the artwork is not that great for a anime in this day and age. the background is rather alright. Not too bad though, pretty ok. But kind of old 'graphics' I guess.
Maybe they are short on budget since it is a new studio. It is alright for a new studio, but honestly, they should spend a bit longer time if they really need, not exactly a good first impression for the new studio.

i'll give 2nd episode a go and see how it goes if it improves or not. Then again even minor successes can keep me dragged on until half way through the series though, but usually feels more like a chore than entertainment and eventually drops it....
Jul 15, 2017 5:34 AM

Sep 2013
That was painful to watch, both content and direction. We get the girl is bullied while the 2 'friends' are helpless. But for a 10 min. short, this felt dragged without any clear intent what's it about and no hook points to continue watching.
Jul 15, 2017 6:33 AM

Dec 2015
Perfectly okay introduction. But everything looks so average.

3/5 Disappointed that this turned out to be a bland short.

What's wrong with the case of "ijime" depicted here? It just seem kind of japanese to me, not something totally alien and unbelievable.
Jul 15, 2017 1:31 PM

Jun 2015
I dont have much hope for this one, still if it will focus on bullying can be entertaining.
Jul 15, 2017 5:12 PM

Feb 2013
Thank you anime. You have reminded me that kids are A-holes!

It started out weak, but it got interesting.
Is this anti-bullying propaganda? At least it's half-way decent.
Jul 16, 2017 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
Someone, anyone, explain why they liked this, for the love of God, make me find some redeeming qualities from this garbage.
Jul 16, 2017 12:45 AM
Jul 2018
BurntJelly said:
Thank you anime. You have reminded me that kids are A-holes!

It started out weak, but it got interesting.
Is this anti-bullying propaganda? At least it's half-way decent.

"Half-way decent"
This is literally the worst portrayal of bullies I've seen in anything.
No way in North Korea would an entire class, bully a girl, for being sick.
Jul 17, 2017 10:39 AM

Aug 2014
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

The entire class? Just seemed like that one girl and her clique. The people that wanted to help her succumbed to peer pressure because they don't want to become the target themselves. It's how bullying is portrayed in pretty much all Japanese media.

Realistic or not I wouldn't know, as I've never had such an experience. Maybe make a thread in the Koe no Katachi forum and complain about how bullying is portrayed in anime. You're sure to get a ton more responses there.
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 17, 2017 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
QuattroVaginas said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

The entire class? Just seemed like that one girl and her clique. The people that wanted to help her succumbed to peer pressure because they don't want to become the target themselves. It's how bullying is portrayed in pretty much all Japanese media.

Realistic or not I wouldn't know, as I've never had such an experience. Maybe make a thread in the Koe no Katachi forum and complain about how bullying is portrayed in anime. You're sure to get a ton more responses there.

Almost the whole class made fun of the girl, how much do you remember? And they did it in the most over-the-top cringe way possible.
Jul 17, 2017 11:01 AM

Aug 2014
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
QuattroVaginas said:

Almost the whole class made fun of the girl, how much do you remember? And they did it in the most over-the-top cringe way possible.

I skimmed through the episode again and there was a group of guys and girls talking shit. One of the "friends" remarked that it was the popular kids that spread it to the rest of class, so probably them. I don't think most of the students in the class even talked, just playing it passive. You can see one girl that stopped the other from helping, not out of malice, but peer pressure. But the things they say were pretty cringe-worthy sure. Still doesn't seem out of line from what I've seen in anime, less since it's all been verbal so far.
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 17, 2017 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
QuattroVaginas said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

I skimmed through the episode again and there was a group of guys and girls talking shit. One of the "friends" remarked that it was the popular kids that spread it to the rest of class, so probably them. I don't think most of the students in the class even talked, just playing it passive. You can see one girl that stopped the other from helping, not out of malice, but peer pressure. But the things they say were pretty cringe-worthy sure. Still doesn't seem out of line from what I've seen in anime, less since it's all been verbal so far.

Well, i have to thank you, brave one, because I'll kill myself if I watch that shit again.
Huh. Well, as someone who's been to high school, people there are f*cking idiots, so...
I dunno man. Every scene in the ep was just beating the audience over the head, with how bullied the girl is.
I just can't imagine any high schooler, no matter how stupid they are, to succeed in spreading rumors that a sick girl is a slut. Like, how the heck does that work?
Jul 17, 2017 7:42 PM

Jan 2011
The music with that bit with the cats at the end reminded me of MGS2.
Jul 20, 2017 5:31 PM

Oct 2011
Omfg preparing tissue ahhhhh 😢
Jul 30, 2017 8:40 AM
Mar 2012
How many generic ideas did they stuff in some hamfisted way?
ok alwaysalone student, dead parents, no money, ill, bullied. A pair on the beach not saying anything. It might develop better tho...
Jul 31, 2017 3:15 AM

Sep 2016
ye the studios name fortells what i would do with this show if i'd watch it
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Aug 28, 2017 12:50 PM

Aug 2016
Such a bad f*cking teacher...
Nanika ga Okashii
Sep 14, 2017 2:09 PM
May 2017
Yeah, I thought the whole bullying aspect was unsubtle and a bit exaggerated. I thought it should've taken some pointers from a silent voice or went in a little different direction with Minori being alone, like just having her be socially isolated because of her illness for example.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clione no Akari Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2017

14 by Punkero »»
Mar 7, 2023 8:47 AM

Poll: » Clione no Akari Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2017

19 by Punkero »»
Mar 5, 2023 6:32 AM

Poll: » Clione no Akari Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2017

30 by Jaksh »»
Dec 21, 2022 3:10 PM

Poll: » Clione no Akari Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2017

13 by matias067 »»
Sep 30, 2017 5:44 AM

Poll: » Clione no Akari Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2017

16 by SakurasouBusters »»
Sep 24, 2017 12:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.