Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 23, 2019 11:08 AM

May 2018
ninka22 said:

Big spoiler

I am dropping this show immediately.
This is like the dumbest development...
Apr 23, 2019 12:08 PM
Apr 2019
@ninka22 that's like, way too much spoiler in one go! why would you do that?

@alshu
...that stuff happens after like,
a lot happens between now and then.

lihle808 said:
I guess Tohru is one more of those female characters that caresses guys and stroke their ego. But I like her, but Yuki is winning on the race though because he cares for her and sincerely shared his pain with her. While Kyo is rowdy and whiny, kinda lame man.

she's not though? She just tries to see the best in people, and she treats the female characters the same way. As for the rest, well, character development Occurs.

Ten said:
Tohru is such a baka. She's kind and all, but her naivety is a bit too much. I hope she'll get some growth as a character but seems unlikely as it's probably her cuteness that will change everyone around her while she stays the same.

when I think how this story is actually a story about [big spoiler!]
you couldn't be more wrong regarding the character dynamics. Although yes, being a little ditzy is her personality and doesn't change a huge amount
Apr 23, 2019 1:01 PM

May 2015
miplet said:

Ten said:
Tohru is such a baka. She's kind and all, but her naivety is a bit too much. I hope she'll get some growth as a character but seems unlikely as it's probably her cuteness that will change everyone around her while she stays the same.

when I think how this story is actually a story about [big spoiler!]
you couldn't be more wrong regarding the character dynamics. Although yes, being a little ditzy is her personality and doesn't change a huge amount

I'd be happy to be wrong if it means good character development. Thanks for the spoiler, it actually sounds very interesting, I'm curious now to see how this comes around.
Apr 23, 2019 1:07 PM

May 2018
kagura-pb said:

You do realize that the series will get at least 70 episodes (if they're going to keep the two chapters per episode ratio) and all the characters and relationships will undergo a tremendous development, right?

Tremendous development to complete absurdity?

kagura-pb said:
If anything's dumb, it's making a judgement based on three episodes that can hardly even be considered a prologue.

This is like saying that an epic journey to Mars after 70 years actually ends at Las Vegas...and I yet should learn how deep and sensible is that.

kagura-pb said:
Also, the delinquent girl WILL have a developed romantic relationship of her own.

I bet she would be paired with someone frustrating too. (Yeah, I feel the incoming spoilers.)

miplet said:

...that stuff happens after like, 100 chapters a lot happens between now and then.

No matter what happens - this goes by the logic of the random fact that she likes cats, not by the logic which personalities are matched better.
Kind of dumb.
alshuApr 23, 2019 1:53 PM
Apr 23, 2019 1:40 PM

Dec 2016
This episode of Fruits Basket is brought to you by: A N A L O G I E S
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 23, 2019 2:19 PM

Sep 2018
Boi that German should be in a cringe compilation

It so far feels just like your typical generic Shoujo that suffers the same flaws as similar shows we just have to see from what ive heard it could et up to 70 episodes or so

-Mullerio-Apr 24, 2019 2:52 AM
Apr 23, 2019 2:28 PM
Apr 2019
Ten said:

I'd be happy to be wrong if it means good character development. Thanks for the spoiler, it actually sounds very interesting, I'm curious now to see how this comes around.

It's a very slow reveal, but worth it (:
fliffy_Apr 23, 2019 3:32 PM
Apr 23, 2019 4:52 PM
Apr 2019

No matter what happens - this goes by the logic of the random fact that she likes cats, not by the logic which personalities are matched better.
Kind of dumb.

well, since you're being an ass (who also just spoiled the endgame for everyone in this thread by your response), you get more spoilers

(for the not assholes: 1) if you're invested in the story & not gonna judge it after only 3 episodes, & don't want spoilers, seriously don't read cause these are major; 2) if you aren't that invested or just are a person who doesn't care too much about spoilers but have been very curious why this manga is so highly acclaimed and everyone says it is so complex and deep even though it looks like a run-of-the-mill chill shojo romance to you - I guess you can go ahead and read)

So then a ton of other shit goes down.

Like you could possibly predict the direction this story is going or the depth and direction of the character development. And if you think, given all that, this story's logic for them ending up together is based on "the random fact she likes cats" and not some hella fucking complex relationship development between their two personalities, histories, life experiences, and ways of coping with trauma and loss, and the concept of self-forgiveness and personal betterment, I don't know what to tell you, my friend.

Go ahead and drop this series if you're committed to having such a shallow understanding of it after only 3 episodes.
thebond_thecurseApr 23, 2019 5:29 PM
Apr 23, 2019 5:32 PM
Apr 2019
thebond_thecurse said:

Damn, girl. I loved that. I feel like you wrote exactly what was in my heart
can we be friends?

edit#
when I went into this new remake and episode 1 knowing all that, knowing that
fliffy_Apr 23, 2019 5:53 PM
Apr 23, 2019 11:36 PM

May 2018
thebond_thecurse said:
also just spoiled the endgame for everyone

It's not much a reveal actually. Just following one of the obvious paths...part of the reason I dislike it.

thebond_thecurse said:
why this manga is so highly acclaimed

It is?
I always thought that the reason behind why it's so popular is having like only 5 shoujo titles distributed to the west, Fruits Basket being on of them.

thebond_thecurse said:

1. 95% of this wall of text is irrelevant to what we are speaking, couldn't you compressed a bit?
2. Still can't see this as well constructed development.
So you can infodump the rest of the manga but with the same result for me.

thebond_thecurse said:
hella fucking complex relationship development between their two personalities, histories, life experiences, and ways of coping with trauma and loss, and the concept of self-forgiveness and personal betterment,

1. There was this other word for complex - convoluted.
2. Now you are spoiling.

thebond_thecurse said:
Go ahead and drop this series if you're committed to having such a shallow understanding of it after only 3 episodes.

Oh nooo, somebody will take account why I have dropped every single one of those hundreds and hundreds of titles and think "Wow, usually he is right but doing that to Fruits Basket was for totally shallow reason."
alshuApr 24, 2019 2:38 AM
Apr 23, 2019 11:49 PM
Apr 2019

It is?
I always thought the the reason behind why it's so popular is having like only 5 shoujo titles distributed to the west, Fruits Basket being on of them.

It is one of the most highly acclaimed shojo mangas in Japan.

1. 95% of this wall of text is irrelevant to what we are speaking, couldn't you compressed a bit?

What were we speaking about? Your deciding that you're gonna drop a series adapting a 23 volume manga only 3 episodes in cause you were spoiled about who the main girl ends up with and you think that's dumb because in your opinion their personalities don't match and so that clearly means it was only based on 'her liking cats'?

So which of your points do you want me to address? The stupid one, the fucking stupid one, or the nonexistent one?
Apr 24, 2019 12:59 AM

May 2018
kagura-pb said:
who's so full of himself, so convinced about his misguided subjective opinion being the universal truth

Could you quote me where I am saying that this is the universal truth and everybody should drop the anime?
It's my personal decision.

kagura-pb said:
that he'd rather be stuck in his obtuse ignorance than actually listen to people who, unlike himself, are familiar with the story and know what they're talking about.

Isn't liking or disliking a question of preference?

kagura-pb said:
quoting spoilers, make sure you leave them under the spoiler cut where they're supposed to be.

More precisely those spoilers I quoted actually doesn't revel anything. It's mine "she likes cats" that is spoiling stuff.

kagura-pb said:
not that I have time to spare or patience to deal with you any further

If you didn't react to my post in the first place (where I am not spoiling anything) this topic could be a little better place.

thebond_thecurse said:

It is one of the most highly acclaimed shojo mangas in Japan.

If you say so...

thebond_thecurse said:

So which of your points do you want me to address?

1. None.
2. You could explain it with 3 sentences not like writing an essay about it.

thebond_thecurse said:
The stupid one, the fucking stupid one, or the nonexistent one?

1. Actually I can drop a 1000+ episode title 5 minute into the first episode if it displeases me.
Same goes to for you and lets say one of my favorite shows...but the difference is I would't suggest that you are stupid for doing so.
2. I really hate this development and I don't think it's a s... interesting decision from the author's part.
3. The third one is actually a technique called "foreshadowing" - which I hate as storytelling tool.
alshuApr 24, 2019 1:26 AM
Apr 24, 2019 2:21 AM

Apr 2008
kagura-pb said:

Thank you for having enough composure and patience in explaining all these things to someone who's so full of himself, so convinced about his misguided subjective opinion being the universal truth, that he'd rather be stuck in his obtuse ignorance than actually listen to people who, unlike himself, are familiar with the story and know what they're talking about

Chill down. I have read the whole manga I didn't find the whole romance so great either and I have an issue with certain things this manga did, which I think were not great at all.

It was a cute and naive manga with drama, but I would not say very deep.
Let be realistic, many people who had been for so long in toxic/problematic relationships would need more time and probably a good therapists. The idea that a teenage girl can change a toxic/problematic family so much in such a short time is cute, but naive.

Lain666Apr 24, 2019 2:49 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Apr 24, 2019 6:42 AM

May 2018
kagura-pb said:
your assumptions are dead wrong

My assumption that I wouldn't like such type of story?
Try to prove that wrong.

kagura-pb said:
based on some silly idea

Yes it's totally silly and from what I am getting it's totally a foreshadowing...so the funniest things is that it's actually true....and I was making a joke in the first place.

kagura-pb said:
an indicator of what kind of person you are

An anime fan who likes entertainment?
Guilty as charged.
Different people being entertained by drastically different things - totally expected.

kagura-pb said:
also, what may seem 'convoluted' when summarised in one paragraph, may as well flow organically in 130+ chapters of a story

Yes for me that changes the things to "exhaustively long and convoluted".

kagura-pb said:
the thing you're doing here is making a judgement based on factually incorrect assumptions and a very flat and limited understanding of the characters

It's enough for me to see that I am not interested in those guys relationships.

kagura-pb said:
I mean, the fact that you call Arisa "the delinquent girl" is a proof enough of how you're reducing those characters to stereotypes and superficial traits

No I just wanted to point at her...not writing an article "The yankee girl that could be and the yankee that is Arisa".

kagura-pb said:
it may be a minor thing (as opposed to who the MC ends up with), but it happens much later on in the manga and it's not something many people might expect, therefore it's a spoiler and should be treated as such

But if they didn't read the real spoiler they couldn't know what we are talking about.
Nobody will read our posts anyway.

kagura-pb said:
if you don't want people to react to your posts, then don't post at all

It's not me who dislikes this situation it's you guys.
Also I am actually thankful to thebond_thecurse infodumping part of the manga - now I am sure that I don't want to continue with the anime.

kagura-pb said:
it's a public forum where everyone is going to see what you have to say and it's within their right to react

Thus no future torpedoing of ships which leads to big spoilers...tell this to ninka22. It will make reading of such topics much easier.

kagura-pb said:
you had a really great taste in anime

Hey, even I don't believe that.

kagura-pb said:
but it would be nice if those reasons didn't stem from sheer ignorance

But I know my [shitty] tastes...also thebond_thecurse confirmed my suspicion that I wouldn't like this story.
Call it ignorance but it was the right decision to make.

kagura-pb said:
but at the same time you think Kyō and Arisa would be a better one even though they're a textbook example of a buddy-buddy duo with zero romantic potential or chemistry

I don't get you. They seamed the perfect couple to me.

kagura-pb said:
then just do it already and be on your merry way.

Maybe when you guys stop replying to my posts.
alshuApr 24, 2019 6:48 AM
Apr 24, 2019 2:05 PM

Aug 2017
Oh my poor Kyon-Kyon. I fee sorry for him when he feels so down and acts like he doesn't really belong to the Souma family. He should totally be the thirteenth member of the zodiac!

The 'foreigner boy' made me laugh out loud. "Sehr hübsch", it was hilarious. And then there was a great scene with Tooru and Yuki and how Yuki is jealous of Kyou because he wants to join the Soumas so badly.

Tooru's mom is just amazing by the way. She as a great example to little Tooru and I see how her daughter turned into such a sweet teenage girl. It takes courage to really believe in people, since there are phonies everywhere. Tooru's metaphor about Yuki's kindness as a candle which lights up and brings a smile to her face was just beautiful. The thought of having a plum on you back for others to see was amazing too. Also, Yuki's 'secret base' is the best!

Well this has been another great episode. The ending was cute, wouldn't it be great if Yuki and Kyou could get along?! I guess they still have a lot to learn and that's fine. Tooru is watching over them just like her mother guided her in the past :) I hate how Yuki shoved that food in Kyou's mouth though, so rude!
Apr 24, 2019 4:41 PM

Apr 2018
First Time seeing the Rat that sad xD No but really the analogy between a rice ball and human makes sense.
Apr 24, 2019 9:31 PM

Apr 2019
alshu said:
kagura-pb said:
your assumptions are dead wrong

My assumption that I wouldn't like such type of story?
Try to prove that wrong.

I would just like to poke my head in and say that you're totally entitled to not be interested in this story. I'm not sure what's going on in the world right now where people can't have differing opinions, or that a different opinion is wrong. This is not the case people.

You like broccoli, alshu doesn't. Okay, let's move on. You can't convince someone to like broccoli, and it's not something to argue about. *shrugs*

Personally I LOVE this anime and it was one of the first animes that really pushed me to the level of obsession. I'm talking back in the day when the entire manga wasn't even published and I was reading bootleg scanlations online. It was like my CRACK. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

I like broccoli very, very much.

Note: I do not read bootleg scanlations anymore. I have since cleaned up my act and gotten the proper help. :)
Apr 25, 2019 5:52 AM

Jun 2008
alshu said:
ninka22 said:

Big spoiler

I am dropping this show immediately.
This is like the dumbest development...

If you keep going...When you get to know Kyo's backstory/past, I'm sure you'll change your mind ;)

ninka22 said:
alshu said:
I already ship the cat boy with the blond delinquent girl...but I guess it wouldn't happen.

Big spoiler

please dont drop those big spoilers here unless someone specifically requests it...

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Apr 26, 2019 4:00 PM

Aug 2009
The new smooth animation really makes me like Kyo and his flamboyant personality more. Even with their idiosyncrasies, all of characters' body movements look so natural!

The German boy has made his appearance at last!!! My favorite is here! XD.. The animation is exactly how I imagine for his character. Awesome! And Tooru be like, "Sorry, I don't speak English".. XD. I can't talk more because of spoiler :/

Yuki has lots of self-awareness, very relatable.

"Yuki's kindness is like a candle; it lights up and makes me want to smile" - best quote of this episode.

"I want you to believe in people. Doubting people is easy. You can be the kind of person who can believe in people".
Well, I know the kind of message that FB wants to send us, but I really don't agree with this "teaching".. LOL. That's a very naive belief. Trusting without verifying is a recipe for failure. It's great that it works in FB because "kindness" is what the series is about, but it doesn't work IRL or if Tooru's circumstance changes. Especially when Tooru lives under the protection of some of the Souma members, she's like a family member that they care about and thus she doesn't need to worry about the dangerous members of society, but if the Souma didn't take her in and she had no one to rely on (even with her 2 friends), living by this ideology would be very dangerous.

But anyway, with Shigure, Yuki and Kyo, there's no room for doubt; you can tell that they are very kind people from the beginning by letting Tooru stay in their house and treating her like family.
Apr 26, 2019 7:20 PM

Nov 2018
This is it. I will fite anyone I find to have the guts to hate Tohru, dammit.
Apr 27, 2019 6:38 PM

Mar 2009
A shame about all the untagged spoilers in here.

...how can anyone hate Megumi Han's voice? I had no idea she was even voicing Momiji before his appearance in this episode. Now this adaptation is even better. She's an incredible seiyuu.

Not surprised by the mixed reactions to Tohru. That's how it's always been. She's either too annoying and naive to some, or people find her incredibly loving and endearing. Personally, one major aspect of the series that I've always liked is how simple yet poignant the themes and messages are: the umeboshi analogy, for one, and people having their own special kindness. There will be many more, of course. And they can be deeply affecting. Maybe some will find the messages cringy, naive, or awkward; but it is quintessential Tohru, and quintessential Fruits Basket, at that.
Apr 29, 2019 9:28 PM

Aug 2016
God, that German was so bad. Chives onigiri? Madness.
Apr 30, 2019 1:22 AM

Mar 2010
those cats were so cute !! They seem familar for some reason.

nice to learn about yuki more
May 1, 2019 7:38 AM
May 2014
The plum in the back analogy was so cringe

Stfu Tohru
May 25, 2019 10:50 AM

Aug 2017
More development for Yuki. A new character talking German lol.

I liked Tohru's speech about plum at your back. The dialogue is fantastic.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 27, 2019 10:28 PM

Oct 2013
Tohru is sooooo cute aaaaaa. >_<

That kindness monologue was very keen insight, lovely stuff. The plum analogy too. These character interactions are so sweet/genuine.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 30, 2019 4:20 AM

Oct 2007
the nekos surrounding Kyo are kawaii! Well, Tohru is doing good in this reverse harem, she has already captured the attention of the two main guys in the show.
Jun 6, 2019 9:45 AM

Apr 2018
Well, I'm glad that Kyo got along with his schoolmates and with her now. I wonder if that foreigner is an animal as well. We'll see
Jun 7, 2019 2:55 PM

May 2010
Tohru is the most precious girl in the entire world! Her monologues probably would be just cheesy if anyone else delivered them, but I just can't help but feel all of her thoughts pierce throuh my heart. Every. Single. Time!

She deserves all the happiness ;_;

Kagura incoming, not the biggest fan, but mmkay :x I'm glad wild Momiji has finally appeared, hopefully he'll talk in more comprehensible language next time lol.
Jun 8, 2019 9:49 AM

May 2016
This was a very sweet episode, trying to bring the boys together.
Jun 14, 2019 2:24 PM

Oct 2013
Another adorable episode, especially those scenes with Kyo attracting them cats (unconsciously, because he didn't look happy xD ) and Tohru talking about what she was taught by her mother.
Aug 7, 2019 1:29 PM

Jul 2016
Such a wholesome episode. The way they contrasted both Kyou and Yuki's situations was pretty well handled. And not to mention that seeing them opening up to Tooru instead of dragging their problems just for the sake of easy drama was quite refreshing to see as well.

On the other hand, Tooru's analogies are indeed a bit too "elaborate" for my taste but I really like them nevertheless, especially the "plum in your back" one.

Overall, it was another enjoyable episode.
Sep 10, 2019 4:33 AM

Dec 2013
The grass is always greener on the other side.

Tooru really likes her analogies in this episode.
Dec 5, 2019 2:08 AM

Mar 2015
The focus on the rivalry between Cat guy and Rat guy was funny to watch!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 20, 2020 6:30 PM

Nov 2015
I would literally die for Tohru.
May 9, 2020 8:41 AM

Dec 2013
Kyon Kyon ( ◜‿◝ ) When the cats gathered around him, so cute!
I laughed when Kyo and Uo were arguing lol
Tohru has been raised well <( ̄︶ ̄)>

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 4, 2020 11:03 PM

May 2013
MOMIJI, MY BABY. I LOVE YOOOOUUUUUU. COME BACK <3333333333
Jul 19, 2020 10:26 PM
Oct 2019
What does Kyon Kyon mean? A pun? Or is it just some cute way to change a person's name in Japanese?

"Rice ball training isn't something people do. Where do you even get these ideas?" Haha

Back plums? Huh, what Tohru...?
HagePotPotatoJul 19, 2020 10:31 PM
Sep 15, 2020 4:13 AM

Mar 2016
I really enjoyed this episode, I think it shows the kindness, love and care a mangaka can have for each character in their entirety. I am looking forward to more heartwarming and introspective interactions! Toohru, banzai!
Sep 25, 2020 4:19 AM

Jul 2020
Kyon-kyon hahaha

And that blonde kid is speaking German? Lol why does it sound like that?
Jan 25, 2021 7:46 AM

May 2015
I ship gangter girl with catman.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 20, 2021 5:21 AM

Aug 2019
legit don’t know which dude to root for they’re both solid characters
Feb 22, 2021 4:39 AM

Jun 2019
Kyo with those cats looked adorable. Guess both of em' have their own reasons.
Apr 4, 2021 7:56 AM

Mar 2010
Vegtable gardens are a good idea, I always loved that rice ball analogy, many don't see how great they are, and those that do don't realize even small dics are great too. :c

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 24, 2021 8:01 AM

Apr 2020
Her analogies are now new things I will look forward to in this show ig
May 9, 2021 5:25 PM

Feb 2015
Ah I love tohru’s onigiri theory. These stories were why I loved this manga originally
May 20, 2021 9:33 AM
Apr 2021
Tohru is like a therapist, fixing Kyo and Yuki's problems.
Jun 28, 2021 12:19 PM

Jan 2021
"schon dich kennenzulernen"

"im sorry, i don't speak english"
CalmTeaTimeMay 2, 2023 3:30 PM
Aug 3, 2021 10:16 PM

Jul 2021
those cats were really cutee ahhh
Sep 8, 2021 9:10 AM

Jul 2015
Truly the grass isn't greener on the other side situation for both Kyon-Kyon and Prince Yuki.

I gotta say Yuki got it somewhat better considering Kyo is looked down upon in the family.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Apr 22, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.