Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2018 3:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's nice to see the girls gathering up supplies for this trip. Everything counts!

The video game segment was kinda fun to watch. A bit of conversation regarding the past. As the day of the journey draws that much closer, the excitement feels more real than ever. The karoke is also fun, a nice way for everyone to celebrate before the actual journey.

Jan 30, 2018 4:40 AM

Apr 2010
So the girls are off.
And it was a touching goodbye for Mari and her friend which was understandable seeing they where always together.
Anyway the trip finally started and now it's a question of how it will go.
I hope their will be many funny situations.
Jan 30, 2018 5:34 AM
Dec 2012
I'm curious as to what scene after the credits is all about, Singapore never showed up in the story and then all of a sudden, they showed some Singapore landmarks and Durian Ice Cream which is loved in Singapore almost as if the location will play a part in the story.

Maybe it's nothing and I'm just overthinking things but it really didn't make any sense to me.
Jan 30, 2018 6:06 AM

Dec 2015
Its A Really Nice Episode And Emotional Ones
I Was Really Touched When Mari And Megumi Saying Goodbye

But Still, They Are Good Friends Since They're A Child
I Hope They Have a Safe Trip!
Naegi-KunJan 30, 2018 6:11 AM
Jan 30, 2018 6:07 AM

Apr 2016
The feels were strong with this episode.
This is easily one of the best shows of this season (if not the best).
The journey begins!
Jan 30, 2018 6:14 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Every time these girls are together, they're always having a blast! They're so fun to watch! :D This episode has plenty of funny moments (as always, which is great!), and some heartwarming moments, and finally the feels in the last part. I thought Megu-chan would run away after breaking up but Kimari stops her whispering two powerful words "Breakup rejected." It had a lot of impact thanks to a little slow motion along with the beautiful song in the background. They're friends since childhood and will always be friends forever. Simply well done! <3

The 4 girls are finally heading off! :D Bon voyage! \(^-^)/
Jan 30, 2018 6:16 AM

Apr 2013
That was one heavy confession near the end.
Anyways... the journey will finally begin from here on out.

Jan 30, 2018 6:18 AM

Mar 2016
I really didn't expect to cry but that was such a good goodbye scene, you could really see and feel all the emotion that was put into it.

Jan 30, 2018 6:20 AM

Jul 2017
Shirase is poor at presenting, she's gonna need some practice or motivation from the other girls teasing her to flip her switch.

So Megumi was trying to throw a spanner in the works from the start. The clues were there I just didn't think about it too much (poetic license/anime logic), but it actually had a sensible part in the plot.

Megumi was seriously scared when Shirase suggested finding the culprit, but Hinata was cool with it.

I thought the confession at the end was a final attempt at derailing Mari from her journey, but she didn't back down. And because of her character nor did she turn on Megumi for trying. And now my lunch is all salty ;_;

BTW If someone tries to diss this show...

WinterStar96 said:
I'm curious as to what scene after the credits is all about, Singapore never showed up in the story and then all of a sudden, they showed some Singapore landmarks and Durian Ice Cream which is loved in Singapore almost as if the location will play a part in the story.

Maybe it's nothing and I'm just overthinking things but it really didn't make any sense to me.

Good spot, I wouldn't have got that. I did wonder. Maybe they needed to stop there for something. I hope it's not for dramatic reasons, they should be on the boat next week.
Jan 30, 2018 6:26 AM

Jan 2012
Poor Megu-chan, losing her sense of self-worth and getting left out. Doomed to be nothing but a memory for the rest of the series until possibly the final episode. I don't condone what she did, but I can at least slightly understand it. Part of me feels like this conflict came a little bit out of nowhere just for the sake of drama, despite the revelations that she was behind previous events, but I will give the show points for even attempting something like this given what kind of show it is. And I guess it was nice when Mari denied the breakup in the end.
Jan 30, 2018 6:27 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again.

Shirase was totally a ball of nerves during that report in the beginning. xD
I love how Kimari described Shirase too Hinata about how she needs an enemy so her "Screw you" attitude gets flipped on. XDD

"Don't fight mean with mean, hold your head high"
Hinata and her quotes are absolute gold. <3

Instead of 'The Madness of Shirase', a better title would've been 'Shirase Ko Kobuchizawa - The Awakening' XDD
I laughed so much when Yuzuki was relieved she was't there.

I guess it was expected that Megu-chan was feeling down that her closest friend was leaving, the final scene was pretty emotional with Megu trying her best to move on but I love how Kimari just hugged her and said breakup rejected. That was sweet.

"Water collects into stagnant pools, I've always loved watching it spill out all at once. Breaking free, liberated, rushing out. The energy stored during the stagnation bursts forth. Everything bursts into action! Everything springs into action!"
I love these monologues cause they really resonate with me, they make for really powerful endings.

The sound direction in this episode was amazing.
Jan 30, 2018 6:30 AM

Nov 2016
Madhouse isn't dead.

Beautiful episode,the departure scene was really emotional,especially the music.

Looking forward to the great journey.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 30, 2018 6:48 AM

Dec 2017
Now that's a good way to rub it in everyone's faces hitmarker sounds in the audience. And now I feel stupid for not thinking further about who told the bullies and their neighbors about the money and Antarctica.

Really love the details they put in the environment, something that I've noticed from the compass in the first episode as well in the ship. Can't wait to see more. For example, the merlion in Singapore and its surroundings

Jan 30, 2018 7:10 AM

Nov 2008
the direction of the episode I felt was really well done; I enjoyed it thoroughly; granted i've enjoyed the series to this point thoroughly anyway so lol. But I kinda figured something was up with Megu.. I figured she was or would do something negative based on well honestly- her own self worth (watch her eyes 2-4 as Kimari grows and goes) was just so low. Though the regret and remorse and apology were directed well enough to feel genuine (maybe a tich melodramatic) So we had many guessing when they would ship off- well now we have 8 episodes of Australia > Ship > Antarctica > home development; If it stays at this caliber i expect it should be great.

Breakup Rejected - Kimari is a good friend; and sometimes forgiveness really is the best thing.

Jan 30, 2018 7:34 AM

Dec 2013
Love how this show is still going strong after everything that's happened.
The girl's chemistry is great to behold, and it's fun to see what happens when they include different personnel as well.

Mari's past with Megu was really a big factor in how the later reacted after finding out how Mari started interacting with Shirase, but somehow I found both her revelation and Mari's reaction and subsequent forgiveness realistic. To be honest I was reading so many flags being raised when Mari was saying "see you later" to her home, but I'm probably overthinking things.... or am I? :P

The post ED scene was abit confusing this time though, unless they're making some sort of a fly-over to Singapore before heading down to Australia....
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 30, 2018 8:23 AM

Jul 2015
We have plenty of episodes to explore Antarctica. I don't mind have one episode in Singapore.

The episode was great. One of the best series of the season.

Jan 30, 2018 8:24 AM

Apr 2013
Megu is one of the most toxic types of "friends" one can have.
Jan 30, 2018 8:32 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
lol had a strong feeling Megu-chan was salty :(

awe man.. does that mean no more screen time for 2nd best girl?
Jan 30, 2018 8:52 AM

Feb 2014
I had a feeling from that Megu would vent out her real emotions before Mari leaves for Antarctica, but her wanting to break up for friendship with Mari was certainly surprising.

The whole scene was really awesome though. It hit the right emotions with both girls' feelings and the well-timed soundtrack too, with Mari's "Break-up rejected" to Megu's ear before she departed being the most moving part of the episode as a whole.

Now the journey to Antarctica begins, but the end scene after the credits showed Singapore surprisingly. I wonder why.....
Jan 30, 2018 9:03 AM
Jan 2017
As the girls come closer to beginning their journey, Mari and Megumi have one major obstacle to overcome, one that threatens to destroy their friendship. In any other series, what Megumi did would make her the villain but once her motivations get fleshed out, we get to see what a flawed human being she really is and it's nice to see both her and Mari take the high road. I thought it was in bad taste for Megumi to drop her bombshell right before Mari departs but in a dramatic series, dramatic things have to happen lest the narrative will not move forward.
Jan 30, 2018 9:17 AM

Feb 2016
That was a heartwarming episode. Didn't expect Megu to "explode" like that, quite unfortunate for her, she has one hell of a curse with that friend, there is no escape ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Now, I've gotta clean up my room, a lot of Onions appeared out of nowhere ;_;
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 30, 2018 9:19 AM

Sep 2011
WinterStar96 said:

Singapore is a common stopover for flights to Australia and New Zealand, especially to Perth. Ive stopped over on the way to India from New Zealand. Its often no more expensive than a normal direct connecting flight as Singapore actively encourages it.
Jan 30, 2018 9:24 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The assembly sure was a surprise. Surprising to see Shirase panic so much though. Packing luggage is always going to be the first challenge. It was interesting seeing how the girls pack though. The send off by the class was cute though. But the going away part at least managed to stop their gloom. The farewell to her family though was pretty heartwarming. But the revelation about Megumi though was surprising. But in a way all of them are taking their first steps in a new world though. And so the journey begins.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2018 9:29 AM

Sep 2016
megane character always the worst, surprise

CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 30, 2018 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
Nice direction. Didn't expect such a powerful ending. Too bad, we can't see more of their training before going to Antarctica.

WinterStar96 said:

My guess is they will connect flight and head to Australia from Singapore. I hope nothing much will happen there, so we can have the entire 2nd half of the series on the ship + adventure in Antarctica.
Jan 30, 2018 9:32 AM

Jun 2015
That was a very sad and heartwarming goodbye. Poor Megumi. The insert song was pretty. The girls are off to their journey to Antarctica.
Jan 30, 2018 9:43 AM
May 2015
As expected from my anime of the season. And chibi Kimari was cute af.
Jan 30, 2018 9:44 AM

Jun 2016
Realistic af regarding the progress to Antarctica? Check
Actual character development and interaction? Check
Feels? Check
Stunning animation/colours? Check
OST full of feels and sense of accomplishment? Check
Non rushed pacing because the creators wisely thought it would be boring to see ice and water for 12 episodes and instead they focused on developing all the characters beforehand? Check

Why is this anime not at least 8.5/10 yet?!! This is easily a 9/10 for me so far and I can't imagine what will prevent me from giving it a 10! I mean..high school girls, going to A N T A R C T I C A! And done right!

Jan 30, 2018 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
There was one much needed dramatic touch finally was happened thanks to Megu-chan but that got resolved by feels!! :/

fine episode. They put up whatever details and touched everything of mc's life. But I thought they would continue their training in this episode where they left on last episode. That got skipped (maybe for good reason).
removed-userJan 30, 2018 10:34 AM
Jan 30, 2018 10:00 AM

Apr 2017
animefan8800 said:
Poor Megu-chan, losing her sense of self-worth and getting left out. Doomed to be nothing but a memory for the rest of the series until possibly the final episode. I don't condone what she did, but I can at least slightly understand it. Part of me feels like this conflict came a little bit out of nowhere just for the sake of drama, despite the revelations that she was behind previous events, but I will give the show points for even attempting something like this given what kind of show it is. And I guess it was nice when Mari denied the breakup in the end.

They were dropping hints throughout the episodes that Megumi wasn't feeling happy about her friend leaving her. This episode just propelled it forward and I thought it did a great job of it. Had the water works show up
Jan 30, 2018 10:23 AM

Jul 2014
Seems everyone liked the sudden drama that popped in between Megu and Mari, I find it out of nowhere, I was more pushed into the "What the fuck is this" than "oooh mah feels"
Anyways besides that I loved everything else! Madhouse pulling those beautiful art everywhere, and finally off they go! to Antartica and BEYOND! (but first lets make a pit stop at Singapore)
Jan 30, 2018 10:28 AM

May 2015
-Stray said:
Seems everyone liked the sudden drama that popped in between Megu and Mari, I find it out of nowhere, I was more pushed into the "What the fuck is this" than "oooh mah feels"
Anyways besides that I loved everything else! Madhouse pulling those beautiful art everywhere, and finally off they go! to Antartica and BEYOND! (but first lets make a pit stop at Singapore)

It definitely didn't come out of nowhere. The strain on there friendship was pretty obvious.

Jan 30, 2018 10:59 AM

Apr 2012
Kittens-kun said:
-Stray said:

It definitely didn't come out of nowhere. The strain on there friendship was pretty obvious.

Well, all the same, there is some truth in this, as her friend was always out of focus before. Another thing, I like the whole sequence and elaboration of its settings. This show is really more than "cute girls".
Jan 30, 2018 11:02 AM

Jun 2016
Think it's pretty petty of her friend to be like that because she isn't relying on her anymore.

Still don't hate the show, want to see more girl on south poles.

Jan 30, 2018 11:14 AM

Jul 2014
Kittens-kun said:
-Stray said:

It did, none of us saw this coming until this episode came in, there were no signs of Mari and Megu's friendship crumbling slowly, it all happened this episode, instantly. Anyways Im saying it came out of nowhere for me, if it didnt for you then.. good for you.
Jan 30, 2018 11:21 AM

May 2015
-Stray said:
Kittens-kun said:

It did, none of us saw this coming until this episode came in, there were no signs of Mari and Megu's friendship crumbling slowly, it all happened this episode, instantly. Anyways Im saying it came out of nowhere for me, if it didnt for you then.. good for you.

Yeah, no. That's completely wrong. You can tell just by the way Megu was acting before that something was troubling her. Plus, none of us? You're the only one who's complained about this so far.

Jan 30, 2018 11:26 AM

Dec 2016
I'm glad they included the subplot about the drifting apart of friends, it's a nice touch and something that they did a good job of subtly showing through the first four episodes before finally laying it all out in this one

And yay on to Antarctica!!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 30, 2018 11:27 AM

Jul 2014
Kittens-kun said:
-Stray said:

Yeah, no. That's completely wrong. You can tell just by the way Megu was acting before that something was troubling her. Plus, none of us? You're the only one who's complained about this so far.

Yeah right, their interactions were normal, Megu was always the calm and quiet type of girl, its you just figuring out that her previews actions meant something because something happened this episode, Im saying none of us saw it coming because if someone was, then there woulda been people commenting about it in the previews ep threads like "Megu's acting weird" or at the very least "It seems Mari's getting closer to Shirase.. Megu may get jealous" yet no one commented about it, until now that is. Im not about to start a debate about this, it isnt even that big of a deal, I found it surprising thats all, I'll keep my shit to myself and you keep your shit to yourself, I dont need your opinion.
Jan 30, 2018 11:30 AM

May 2015
-Stray said:
Kittens-kun said:

Yeah right, their interactions were normal, Megu was always the calm and quiet type of girl, its you just figuring out that her previews actions meant something because something happened this episode, Im saying none of us saw it coming because if someone was, then there woulda been people commenting about it in the previews ep threads like "Megu's acting weird" or at the very least "It seems Mari's getting closer to Shirase.. Megu may get jealous" yet no one commented about it, until now that is. Im not about to start a debate about this, it isnt even that big of a deal, I found it surprising thats all, I'll keep my shit to myself and you keep your shit to yourself, I dont need your opinion.

You just weren't paying attention. That's all right I guess.

Jan 30, 2018 11:37 AM
Nov 2016
This series pleasantly surprised me and I think it's one of the best of the season. Megu-chan laid bare her feelings this epiosde but Kimari forgave her and thus their journey begins.

Madhouse ain't playing around with this anime, they're knocking this out of the park.
Jan 30, 2018 11:39 AM
Nov 2016
-Stray said:
Kittens-kun said:

A lot of people did see it coming but it was very subtle, Megu didn't feel like an important character so not a lot of people mentioned the fact that she seemed strangely disinterested in the fact that her best friend was leaving for Antarctica.
Jan 30, 2018 11:55 AM
May 2016
-Stray said:
Kittens-kun said:

that's why you should watch the episodes untill the very end. After the ED in the previous episode there was an scene of Megu that make clear she was kind of mad.
Jan 30, 2018 11:57 AM

Aug 2014
the episode was so fucking great, the characters are this anime's strong point tbh and they are all great, can't wait for the next episode.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 30, 2018 12:04 PM

Nov 2016
Yep, first 10/10 of the season. This anime is so underrated, I hope it eventually gets the attention it deserves.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2018 12:07 PM

Oct 2014
hmm I see. So she went beyond being jealous. That isn't something you can tell with one next-episode hint.
Then last episode was a waste.
Last episode they were trying to lighten the mood, showing us how the girls work as a group while introducing the supporting casts. That took time from Megu.
Maybe if only we have an extra episode for this part between last episode and this one , it can work, but then that would sacrifice time for the actual "go to Antartica" plot, which ofc must not be done.
Hmm... this si where budget, contract, and tv slot hits, it seems.

ps.: it's still a great episode, though. But admit it: it could have been way more epic.
Jan 30, 2018 12:31 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Megu was really feeling left out and jealous of the thing the Antartica girls had going on. But it wouldn't surprise me if wasn't well received in school either. What is it they say in Japan? 'The nail that sticks out gets hammered down'?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 30, 2018 12:35 PM
Feb 2013
-Stray said:
Kittens-kun said:

Lots of people have been commenting for at least three episodes now that Megu has been behaving oddly and would likely be trouble before things played out.
Jan 30, 2018 12:45 PM

Apr 2015
The girls will finally start their long awaited journey... that post ending scene of Singapore has gotten me curious though...
Jan 30, 2018 12:49 PM
Sep 2010
JLaxius said:
Realistic af regarding the progress to Antarctica? Check
Actual character development and interaction? Check
Feels? Check
Stunning animation/colours? Check
OST full of feels and sense of accomplishment? Check
Non rushed pacing because the creators wisely thought it would be boring to see ice and water for 12 episodes and instead they focused on developing all the characters beforehand? Check

Why is this anime not at least 8.5/10 yet?!! This is easily a 9/10 for me so far and I can't imagine what will prevent me from giving it a 10! I mean..high school girls, going to A N T A R C T I C A! And done right!

I agree! This is honestly my fave anime this season, I wish it was more popular and had a higher score.
Jan 30, 2018 12:59 PM

Sep 2013
Glasses was the rumor spreading villain :'( but himari's kindness made her realize her jealousy and dependency, atleast it all worked out in the end.
Karaoke to let the stress out and no to singapore.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.