Forum Settings
Forums

Why does the younger generation care so much about animation?

New
Oct 11, 2017 8:07 AM
Dec 2016
I may be wrong, but it seems that the younger fans care mostly for animation. There are a few exceptions of course, and personally I love good animation as much as the next guy. But this aspect does not make or break a show for me, I find myself enjoying older anime more, not sure why though but I tend to care more about writing, characters and progression more than animation.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 11, 2017 8:10 AM

Apr 2017
Facts....... homie...........Facts..........

Care to ask if you just found out some deep meanuuunngg

And also _C H A R A C T E R P R O G R E S S I O N_ behind every set of series?

Then I found it 2DEEP & PRETENTIOUS easy right?

Swagernator said:
Edgyness is always best with better animation.

^This

-HippySnob-Oct 11, 2017 8:24 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 11, 2017 8:10 AM

Sep 2014
I'd say it's got to do with growing up with everything being high quality and high definition, so seeing animation that isn't that can be a little unpleasant to the eyes.

Edit: Also it's not that they don't care for the story, characters etc, but it's just that having that visual stimulation is an important part of their watching experience
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Oct 11, 2017 8:11 AM

Apr 2017
What I take from what you're saying is not about bad animation but the difference in old and new anime art styles because otherwise you're implying that youths think that the art from old anime is bad...correct me if I'm wrong.
Oct 11, 2017 8:13 AM

Jan 2013
harshtruth said:
What I take from what you're saying is not about bad animation but the difference in old and new anime art styles because otherwise you're implying that youths think that the art from old anime is bad...correct me if I'm wrong.
I also thought this.

Exposure bias is my guess. It's like trying to get a child nowadays to play Gen 1 Pokemon games when they are used to Gen 7.
They'd pick it up and be like 'wtf'.
Oct 11, 2017 8:16 AM

Apr 2016
Edgyness is always best with better animation.
Oct 11, 2017 8:17 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
7mD said:
I may be wrong, but it seems that the younger fans care mostly for animation. There are a few exceptions of course, and personally I love good animation as much as the next guy. But this aspect does not make or break a show for me, I find myself enjoying older anime more, not sure why though but I tend to care more about writing, characters and progression more than animation.

*claims he loves good animation as much as the next guy, says it doesnt matter as much to him*

people tend to watch or listen to things from mostly around their time.. you probably dont watch very many black and white movies, do you?

also, i was born in the 80s, like old anime just as much as new, but i still care about animation
Dec 2016
harshtruth said:

Thats not the point at all, what im trying to say is I feel like the younger generation tend to care more about animation than they should, the other guy answered that its probably cuz they grew up watching SD/HD/BluRay etc. Which makes more sense I guess.

Oct 2015
I've seen some people who only watch anime from 2012 onwards... It's insane.
Oct 11, 2017 8:23 AM

Apr 2016
XquisiteWig said:
I've seen some people who only watch anime from 2012 onwards... It's insane.

Or they watch only dub, which is also insane.
Oct 11, 2017 8:23 AM

Apr 2017
Chandela said:
I also thought this.

Exposure bias is my guess. It's like trying to get a child nowadays to play Gen 1 Pokemon games when they are used to Gen 7.
They'd pick it up and be like 'wtf'.
OP claims otherwise but I think what he wrote down he didn't think about the wording.

7mD said:
Thats not the point at all, what im trying to say is I feel like the younger generation tend to care more about animation than they should, the other guy answered that its probably cuz they grew up watching SD/HD/BluRay etc. Which makes more sense I guess.
It's how it comes across. I think you just had state bad animation instead of adding the "old anime" aspect because it kinda sounds like you think that youths think old anime = bad animation.
Oct 11, 2017 8:24 AM

Feb 2016
Nah, they only care about hot waifus. Look at Re:tard0
You don't see people screaming "OMG THIS ANIMATION IS SO GOOD", it's always "OMG REM BEST WAIFU AMIRITE".

Although most of the time anime with bad animation/character design/bad cgi lack good waifus.
Oct 11, 2017 8:27 AM

Jan 2013
@harshtruth A lot of people use them interchangeably so I feel you. I just kinda roll with it now, you get the gist of what they are trying to say anyway.

But yeah, it's an exposure thing.

Aquamirror said:
You don't see people screaming "OMG THIS ANIMATION IS SO GOOD", it's always "OMG REM BEST WAIFU AMIRITE".
That's definitely true. That shit never made sense to me.
People used to say it as a joke but somewhere down the line people started taking it seriously.
Oh god, take me back 10 years ago please lmao
Oct 11, 2017 8:36 AM
Dec 2016
Aquamirror said:

Although most of the time anime with bad animation/character design/bad cgi lack good waifus.

I think REZERO is my lowest rated anime, not only was it bad writing and annoying MC but the ending was underwhelming. After I ended it it really seems like the show hype was all about female characters.
Oct 11, 2017 8:37 AM

Jul 2015
If your first exposition with anime was in an era of high-definition and new art style, then the bias will kick in of course.

That's why I praise the efforts to make new adaptations like LoTGH. It will help bring back interest of old classics back. People are missing a lot of good stories.

Oct 11, 2017 8:38 AM

Dec 2014
cuz kids want to see cute 2d grill to fap to

Oct 11, 2017 8:39 AM

Apr 2016
7mD said:
it it really seems like the show hype was all about female characters.

Only one, that show wouldn't be as popular as it is if Rem wasn't there.

But people have shit taste preferences so it cant be helped.
Oct 11, 2017 8:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If you've grown up used to modern animation, of course something from 15 years ago is going to look outdated. How many people do you think play NES games nowadays? Or watch black and white films from the 50s? This isn't something exclusive to anime by any means. Times change, and the current generation will always be hesitant to go back to the one before it. That is not because you put "too much focus" on technology but rather that you're simply used to it, and something else will quite likely come across as jarring and alien
Oct 11, 2017 8:42 AM
Aug 2016
Because, cute girls, who are objectively the most important aspect of any anime, can't be cute without good animation.
Oct 11, 2017 8:47 AM

Mar 2017
By animation, you mean sparkly effects, right? Wallpaper quality shots and what not?

Because let me tell you what good modern animation does and what it adds to the narrative.

Its the sharp contrast in the gait of Shouya in the opening scene of Koe no Katachi to his younger days.

It's the awkward shuffle of Mitsuya Majime in the opening scene of Fune wo Amu that tells so much without saying any word at all. It's anguish and pain on his face in the final episode.

It's that infinitesimal tightening of the fist from Charioce in Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul that conveys his total surrender to the destiny he was molded for.

It's the opening sequence to K-On.

I could think of so much more examples but these ones are the ones I have links and gifs for at a minute's notice.

Not sure what weed are you on.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 11, 2017 8:49 AM

Sep 2017
This is evolution. Perhaps isekai harem and ecchi with good community is the norm now.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 11, 2017 8:58 AM

Sep 2012
Because seeing things move is exciting? idn

I can watch both 'new' and 'old' shows and care very little for the overall quality, but if I'm being honest, I can somehow finish terrible modern shows with exciting animation, whereas there's no chance in hell I can do that with older ones. There's nothing wrong with liking either or both, but you can't really expect people who grew up with HD quality stuff (and genuinely more fluid animation for the most part) to immediately fall in love with SD shows of yore. It takes time and patience.
Oct 11, 2017 9:04 AM

Aug 2016
I also feel that cinematography techniques have just increased in quality over time. I'm a big Gundam fan and the animation style from older series don't bother me as much as reuse of panning shots and awkward transitions. Macross has always been great at this and to be honest I kinda wished Delta focused more in what made original Macross great rather than take such liberties the way they did. The newer generation may be turned off by the older visuals but there are some enduring classics with just as old visuals of their time that stay relevant because of an amalgamation of different aspects of greater quality.

That said I think recency bias is probably the biggest culprit as people born at later times are introduced to anime from their time period more frequently first. I used to hate older anime because Cowboy Bebop was awesome. Megazone 23 changed that for me lol
Oct 11, 2017 9:09 AM

Apr 2012
I think modern anime relies on the quality of its animation more, (unsurprisingly, since the technology has improved, while technology doesn't really improve the ability to tell stories, so the quality of its animation can be more of a weapon, proportionally,) so it conditions its viewers to look for animation quality more.
Oct 11, 2017 9:11 AM

Apr 2017
Menzo- said:
I'd say it's got to do with growing up with everything being high quality and high definition, so seeing animation that isn't that can be a little unpleasant to the eyes.

Edit: Also it's not that they don't care for the story, characters etc, but it's just that having that visual stimulation is an important part of their watching experience

This^ You're more use to seeing things having a good quality of animation

Oct 11, 2017 9:17 AM

Mar 2017
You know what this thread really needs? OP to define what he thinks animation in the context of his thread.

Because for example, The King's Avatar is more sparkly and shiny and modern than Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, but I'll keel-haul anyone who claims the former is better animated than the latter.

logopolis said:
I think modern anime relies on the quality of its animation more, (unsurprisingly, since the technology has improved, while technology doesn't really improve the ability to tell stories, so the quality of its animation can be more of a weapon, proportionally,) so it conditions its viewers to look for animation quality more.

Animation can't tell a story? Really? What the hell did I just posted above then? Or the Koe no Katachi review in my signature? You can't seriously tell me that visuals and sound can't tell a story after that video.

It's even more offensive when you say "technology doesn't really improve the ability to tell stories". Television is technology. From black and white, the introduction of sounds, music, and sound effects to cinematography, to full-color, to special effects...
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 11, 2017 9:39 AM

Sep 2013
Yeah, the animation of Kemono friends is superb. That's why it is popular
Oct 11, 2017 9:52 AM

Aug 2016
le_halfhand_easy said:
You know what this thread really needs? OP to define what he thinks animation in the context of his thread.

Because for example, The King's Avatar is more sparkly and shiny and modern than Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, but I'll keel-haul anyone who claims the former is better animated than the latter.

logopolis said:

Animation can't tell a story? Really? What the hell did I just posted above then? Or the Koe no Katachi review in my signature? You can't seriously tell me that visuals and sound can't tell a story after that video.

It's even more offensive when you say "technology doesn't really improve the ability to tell stories". Television is technology. From black and white, the introduction of sounds, music, and sound effects to cinematography, to full-color, to special effects...

This. There are certainly increases in the number of techniques used to animate things today. From digital rendering and computer lighting and also various stylized cinematography techniques developed over the years that could not have been used in the 80s or even the 90s without completely imploding like Akira did due to budgetary limitations. As much as I respect Tezuka I haven't watched OG Astro Boy or Tetsujin 28 etc. But I understand without him stuff that I DO enjoy wouldn't exist. I think that's just my subjective cutoff in technological bias.

It's the USE of animation techniques that are more important in ny opinion. 1995 Berserk is a far better adaptation despite the constant still frames and cliff hanger ending than its 2016/17 adaptation without having all the flair of CG and motion tracking shots etc. The 95 adaption was better able at using what it had to visually convetmy impactful stories in every scene whereas the newer version relies heavily on the technology and not basic cinematography/decent 3d models.

I think there are people who are not cool with the older visuals due to them just being old and that's fine. It's kinda naiive to say that technology didn't add numerous amounts of great directorial techniques that could not exist feasibly before their existence. And when used in service to their story it ends up being a solid argument for newer additions to the medium. What isn't OK is when people ignore older series with an older visual style without seeing anything else other than the fact that it has an 80s style of design. Or vice versa not give newer series credit where it's due because they think using modern animation techniques to their advantage is just a default trait all modern shows share. Again, see Berserk 2016 to see how that isn't true and shows like that are why seeing newer shows that DO employ creative execution of modern technology shpuld be celebrated. The character and mechanical designs alone shouldn't dictate quality.

But I'm probably preaching to the choir here lol
Somali_StrawhatOct 11, 2017 9:57 AM
Oct 11, 2017 9:54 AM

Feb 2015
Well I rather watch something that's beautiful and flowing rather than rough and lacking detail... I think anyone would prefer better rather than worse...
Oct 11, 2017 10:01 AM

Sep 2015
I don't care animation anymore if they are a bit "bad" after know Gintama.

Its not going to bother me until they same level as Rewrite anime and something Code from last year.
Into the Internet!
Oct 11, 2017 10:10 AM

Oct 2015
It's not so much the animation as it is the video quality. Like Cowboy Bepop, NGE, FLCL, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo are all old but the art was well-made and was really fluid despite it not being HD etc. We can appreciate Ghibli films as well.

Biggest turn off for me when looking at older anime is the grainy image quality. Can't stand it. I don't think it's an issue of the age, cos I could watch Lupin and Musekinin Tylor with no sweat (old shows doesn't mean bad art), more so on that graininess issue - it just happens that many older shows I reckon.

Sorry to say but animation is also really important indicator of how good a show is and has always played a big role in whether people like it or not.
Oct 11, 2017 10:12 AM

Jun 2011
HaXXspetten said:
If you've grown up used to modern animation, of course something from 15 years ago is going to look outdated. How many people do you think play NES games nowadays? Or watch black and white films from the 50s? This isn't something exclusive to anime by any means. Times change, and the current generation will always be hesitant to go back to the one before it. That is not because you put "too much focus" on technology but rather that you're simply used to it, and something else will quite likely come across as jarring and alien
I didn't even grow up with an NES, but I do both of those things. I have actually watched over 50 silent movies. And I have seen well over 500 black and white movies. I have also seen a lot of foreign films.
And I really didn't like the transition from 2D to 3D for Pokemon. I still prefer the Sprites. I asked my aunt who's actually younger than me and is 17 if she felt the same way because she grew up with Pokemon. And she said yeah I actually do miss the Sprites I've just not wanted to say anything because people will accuse you of being a genwunner.

My aunt also watches classic anime with me even though she's close to ten years younger than me. I actually did show her the difference between the VHS copy of Neon Genesis Evangelion I have and the DVD version. And yeah she likes Eva, but the VHS version of it really jarred her. I think she was rather astonished that I still actually watch the VHS version... Lol.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 11, 2017 10:14 AM

Nov 2016
Because we the older generation know that the animation doesn't make or break the anime. Characters, plot and world building are more important factors. Old anime doesn't necessarily mean bad animation anyway.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Oct 11, 2017 10:15 AM

Feb 2015
Most people that claim they care about "animation", don't even know what animation means. What they mean instead are colors and particle effects.
Oct 11, 2017 10:17 AM

Jun 2011
IndianAnimeReker said:
It's not so much the animation as it is the video quality. Like Cowboy Bepop, NGE, FLCL, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo are all old but the art was well-made and was really fluid despite it not being HD etc. We can appreciate Ghibli films as well.

Biggest turn off for me when looking at older anime is the grainy image quality. Can't stand it. I don't think it's an issue of the age, cos I could watch Lupin and Musekinin Tylor with no sweat (old shows doesn't mean bad art), more so on that graininess issue - it just happens that many older shows I reckon.

Sorry to say but animation is also really important indicator of how good a show is and has always played a big role in whether people like it or not.
I think newer shows actually turn me off because they're missing that quality. Don't get me wrong I still watch them and I may even still love them. But do I feel this pitter-patter in my heart the way I do when I watch old anime? No absolutely not. But you know there are blu-ray releases of a lot of old anime. And with a little bit of research you can determine which ones did get a quality release. But they do you remove the graininess texture. But it is something which I think makes the Blu-ray versions often look worse... Lol.
But I am somebody who frequently still watches VHS... Haha. So I am pretty much a person who likes how the graininess looks to an extreme degree.
I also really love the washed-out color palettes. I love how it makes certain anime look. I mean other anime look fine when you remove the graininess... But when you think about things that are supposed to be dark and gritty... I guess I just like the texture over my sci-fi anime.
Oct 11, 2017 10:21 AM

Jun 2011
JonasTheJay said:
Most people that claim they care about "animation", don't even know what animation means. What they mean instead are colors and particle effects.
I love the colors in Old anime.... Which is why I hate Blu-ray versions of so many....
Oct 11, 2017 10:26 AM

Apr 2017
Haha , I didn't expect less from you my friend , High quality threads

Anyways , It seems like you're my soulmate when it comes to such things , Im strongly agreeing with everything you said , the art and the animation don't have that effect on me while watching a show , in other words , it's not necessary at all as long as it has a good plot and progression .. a show doesnt need to have an incredible animation with a cute artstyle to be good , just look at steins gate .. its the perfect example to bring up here .. also alot of popular shows dont have a good art so I think that people are not interested in art , I guess .. The younger generation tend to prefer the art over everything but This generation also tend to like shows with bad art like DBZ

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 11, 2017 10:32 AM

Oct 2015
Rotton-Girl said:
IndianAnimeReker said:

I think newer shows actually turn me off because they're missing that quality. Don't get me wrong I still watch them and I may even still love them. But do I feel this pitter-patter in my heart the way I do when I watch old anime? No absolutely not. But you know there are blu-ray releases of a lot of old anime. And with a little bit of research you can determine which ones did get a quality release. But they do you remove the graininess texture. But it is something which I think makes the Blu-ray versions often look worse... Lol.
But I am somebody who frequently still watches VHS... Haha. So I am pretty much a person who likes how the graininess looks to an extreme degree.
I also really love the washed-out color palettes. I love how it makes certain anime look. I mean other anime look fine when you remove the graininess... But when you think about things that are supposed to be dark and gritty... I guess I just like the texture over my sci-fi anime.

I totally get what you mean. In fact now that I've basically watched most of the 2010's anime I've been looking at older titles a lot; it's mostly hit or miss for me. Some old shows with graininess, washed out palettes or bad CG like Fist of the North Star, LOTGH and Initial D, are among my most favourite shows. I

don't know exactly how to explain it but I don't like the shows where the animation is choppy or has bad angles, hard to see (really grainy) etc. Modern anime generally don't suffer from that. Now most of the animation problems come from bad CG and bad background imagery (characters look like cardboard cutouts against a screen).

This is one of the strengths I found in older shows, where the characters really felt distinct yet blended into the backgrounds, like they are moving through their world, rather than world moving around them. The rougher lines also allow for more abstract visual storytelling too.

This type of storytelling is so underused nowadays that shows like Sangatsu no Lion and A Silent Voice (I love these anime but..) are praised for using metaphoric and more colorful, expressive visuals. This isn't ubiquitous in older shows but generally the well-known ones do have more of these elements.

So I've got a bit of a meh, love-hate relationship I guess.
Oct 11, 2017 10:36 AM

Jun 2014
IndianAnimeReker said:
Rotton-Girl said:

I totally get what you mean. In fact now that I've basically watched most of the 2010's anime I've been looking at older titles a lot; it's mostly hit or miss for me. Some old shows with graininess, washed out palettes or bad CG like Fist of the North Star, LOTGH and Initial D, are among my most favourite shows. I

don't know exactly how to explain it but I don't like the shows where the animation is choppy or has bad angles, hard to see (really grainy) etc. Modern anime generally don't suffer from that. Now most of the animation problems come from bad CG and bad background imagery (characters look like cardboard cutouts against a screen).

This is one of the strengths I found in older shows, where the characters really felt distinct yet blended into the backgrounds, like they are moving through their world, rather than world moving around them. The rougher lines also allow for more abstract visual storytelling too.

This type of storytelling is so underused nowadays that shows like Sangatsu no Lion and A Silent Voice (I love these anime but..) are praised for using metaphoric and more colorful, expressive visuals. This isn't ubiquitous in older shows but generally the well-known ones do have more of these elements.

So I've got a bit of a meh, love-hate relationship I guess.

I love the look of older Anime because I grew up with it, and I'm not a big fan of most modern Anime.

However, I find it ironic that you scored "Angel's Egg" a 9, because I hated it.

Oct 11, 2017 10:40 AM

Jan 2014
S-quare22 said:

Anyways , It seems like you're my soulmate when it comes to such things , Im strongly agreeing with everything you said , the art and the animation don't have that effect on me while watching a show , in other words , it's not necessary at all as long as it has a good plot and progression .. a show doesnt need to have an incredible animation with a cute artstyle to be good , just look at steins gate .. its the perfect example to bring up here .. also alot of popular shows dont have a good art so I think that people are not interested in art , I guess .. The younger generation tend to prefer the art over everything but This generation also tend to like shows with bad art like DBZ

Hm... I think you misunderstand what 'bad' art and animation means. If you look at the most popular shows, they usually have very outstanding animation, actually. Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion, etc are all known for their animation. I've never watched S;G so Idk about the animation, but the art is definitely not bad (I've played the VN, from which the art is taken). Most people think good art is all about being pretty and that's not the case at all. Art and animation can communicate with you the same way a story can. S;G may not fit the style of many, but the art is unique and the character designs and backgrounds are great compared to most anime. Things such as attention to shape, use of color, and conveying information are all done rly well by it.

OP does not know what he's talking about. Old =/= bad. I think what you mean is that many nowadays care a lot about artstyle. And I see nothing wrong with that. It's better imo to be open to many different kinds of styles, as that will broaden your horizons, but if you don't like looking at a particular artstyle, it can't be helped. Everyone cares about art (not artstyle), but for many, that's something unconscious. One only says he doesn't care about art or animation when he doesn't have enough knowledge about it and doesn't know how those things impact his perception of the show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2017 10:54 AM

Apr 2017
starlessn1ght said:
S-quare22 said:

Hm... I think you misunderstand what 'bad' art and animation means. If you look at the most popular shows, they usually have very outstanding animation, actually. Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion, etc are all known for their animation. I've never watched S;G so Idk about the animation, but the art is definitely not bad (I've played the VN, from which the art is taken). Most people think good art is all about being pretty and that's not the case at all. Art and animation can communicate with you the same way a story can. S;G may not fit the style of many, but the art is unique and the character designs and backgrounds are great compared to most anime. Things such as attention to shape, use of color, and conveying information are all done rly well by it.

OP does not know what he's talking about. Old =/= bad. I think what you mean is that many nowadays care a lot about artstyle. And I see nothing wrong with that. It's better imo to be open to many different kinds of styles, as that will broaden your horizons, but if you don't like looking at a particular artstyle, it can't be helped. Everyone cares about art (not artstyle), but for many, that's something unconscious. One only says he doesn't care about art or animation when he doesn't have enough knowledge about it and doesn't know how those things impact his perception of the show.
starlessn1ght said:
S-quare22 said:

Actually , Old anime tend to have a bad animation and art style , but this is when we talk about the marjority cuz there are always some few exceptions like the examples you mentioned above .. SG has an average artstyle compared to the VN that you've read , its animation is also average but this show took a high ranking on the site which means that ppl rate subjectively and their ratings are based on enjoyment and not on animation or art style
DBZ is the most popular series to come out there but its animation is average and sometimes it sucks but ppl really liked it so I have to confirm again that ppl are subjective most of time .. they stopped giving a shit about the artstyle and the animation ... I think it was obvious that OP meant old shows when he said bad animation , just look at his favorites .. I never said I dont like a good animation but I think that its not really important to like a show

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 11, 2017 11:14 AM

Mar 2016
Why the hell should we have to suffer through bad animation just because you did? This is the twenty first century.

Out with the old age and in with the new!!!!!!!!!

I'm kidding
Oct 11, 2017 11:23 AM

Apr 2017
Oh, thank god you made this post, I was going crazy with so many people bitching about animation this, animation the other, ''muh cgi''.

Of course I come from the times of CRT monitors and tvs at 1024 x 768, gaming with single core cpus, etc, etc, so a slightly off animation doesn't bother me.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2017 12:23 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Rotton-Girl said:
HaXXspetten said:
I didn't even grow up with an NES, but I do both of those things. I have actually watched over 50 silent movies. And I have seen well over 500 black and white movies. I have also seen a lot of foreign films.
And I really didn't like the transition from 2D to 3D for Pokemon. I still prefer the Sprites. I asked my aunt who's actually younger than me and is 17 if she felt the same way because she grew up with Pokemon. And she said yeah I actually do miss the Sprites I've just not wanted to say anything because people will accuse you of being a genwunner.

My aunt also watches classic anime with me even though she's close to ten years younger than me. I actually did show her the difference between the VHS copy of Neon Genesis Evangelion I have and the DVD version. And yeah she likes Eva, but the VHS version of it really jarred her. I think she was rather astonished that I still actually watch the VHS version... Lol.
Well that's cool, but again I'm pretty sure the same can't be said for most people at least
Oct 11, 2017 12:34 PM

May 2015
I haven't seen this trend, but anyway I'd say animation (in contrast to artstyle) is important. Flowing animation is more easy on the eyes and makes it more believable. Lack of animation is jarring. Hack Sign has its long still shots which throw you off, make you notice more the lack of budget rather than focus on the show.

Remember that young watchers have a wider catalogue to choose from and can compare animation from the 90's to the 00's to the 10's. This makes a big difference.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 11, 2017 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
Cause younger people usually have less knowledge about anime and storywriting in general, so their opinion is mediocre, caring about stuff that shouldn't matter.

Oct 11, 2017 1:01 PM
Teto

Sep 2017
I can confirm what u said since i'm 13. For me 1st priority is Genre and story. 1st to 2nd priority is ANIMATION.
I think it's because I grew up with very good animation so it's harder for me to watch old animes because I lose interest. But you guys grew up with old animes so it doesn't matter to you. That's my opinion.😹
Oct 11, 2017 1:03 PM

Jun 2016
I guess good animation makes the anime more appealing to watch.
Oct 11, 2017 1:04 PM

Jan 2009
anime is a visual story telling anyway so of course the main selling point is its animation
Oct 11, 2017 1:06 PM

Sep 2016
wow good animation! pretty colors!!! 10/10!!!
bunch of sheeple basically. book cover is everything.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - May 31

70 by Cammell »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
15 minutes ago

» What were the best years for you when it came to watching anime?

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

25 by ColourWheel »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime with the best first ep ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Jaberlen - Dec 23, 2009

220 by WatchTillTandava »»
20 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 9 hours ago

28 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.