Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Mar 2, 2017 5:43 AM

Nov 2016
This episode was a lot better than the last one. I was captivated.
Mar 29, 2017 3:12 AM
Nov 2015
I am very indifferent to Saki some time and perfectly impressed with her other time. The way she repelled the beast is truly efficient.
Holy Hell the trees during the first 5 minutes are insanely beautiful.
But the info-dumping is obnoxious. Though I guess if I'm a character living there I would be subject to that same amount of information to take in
May 7, 2017 7:44 PM
Apr 2014
Great episode, the plot is really starting to pick up.
Jun 16, 2017 10:36 PM

Sep 2014
Farewell My Dear Friend. EP 10.

Plot; Saki manages to fight off and defeat the first trickster cat. SHe later find Shun who has donned a white mask of a Karmic Demon. He has lost control of his powers and its affecting reality. It's killed his parents, deformed SUbaru, and will only get worse if he stays alive.

He manages to warn Saki of things before killing that last Trickster Cat, which killed Subaru who tried to defend him, and commits suicide while telling Saki that he loved her.

Character: Ah damn. Shun...he was a good kid. I praised his strong power level and I was worried about him during the camp arc. Now its come to a head. So much power. No way to control it. And now he's died. A tragedy for sure.

And what does it mean for Saki? Seeing his power. Seeing him die. What does the future hold for her?

Animation and sound: This ep tore open my heart. The tense atmosphere. Shun trying to maintain control before his last kill. His last tears. It hit so many marks.

5/5. It was so sad.

PS: Am I crazy or were there a lot of ass and crotch shots of Saki? Please tell me I am not crazy.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jun 29, 2017 6:39 PM

Nov 2016
Poor Subara, he was such a cutie :/

That was very intense. Although I wasn't attached to Shun as a character I have to say that this episode was still able to move me, due to the great execution. The portrayal of Shuns suffering and the way everything was directed up to his suicide was top notch. The OST at the end made his last moments even more powerful.
FMmatronJun 29, 2017 6:43 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 16, 2017 10:34 PM

May 2015
This episode was so slow I fell asleep twice. Now I have to rewatch it because I didn't understand shit.
Sep 26, 2017 6:07 PM

Jul 2009
I wanted to like this episode but the way it was presented made it fall completely flat for me. The animation and sound were great, but the awkward camera angles and strange poses just made it all so HARD to watch. Either way, I guess in terms of plot it was good as we see what's happening to Shun and the explanation of how people become karma demons. Pretty interesting stuff, and he kills himself in the end lol. His confession was so cliched though -_-" I will at least say I'm impressed they killed off a "major" character less than halfway through the show, though I can't say I particularly liked him much anyway. I guess we'll see what happens next episode though, I'm guessing it's gonna be a bit slower and take us through how everyone takes the news ...
Oct 31, 2017 6:12 AM

Jun 2013
Well, the concepts Shun talked about (like the subconscious leakage) were cool. Other than that, though... I feel like I wouldn't have missed much if I had just read a Wikipedia article about the episode. I almost feel bad for not feeling bad about the tragedy. Almost. I never felt like the relationship between Shun and Saki was properly developed. Heck, Saki's had a more distinct dynamic with Satoru, of all people, and I don't even particularly like that guy either.

anikevin said:
This episode was so slow I fell asleep twice. Now I have to rewatch it because I didn't understand shit.

I can relate.
LeeTailorOct 31, 2017 6:23 AM
Nov 9, 2017 10:04 AM

Aug 2012
Poor Shun turned into a karmic demon :(
The visuals in this episode was very interesting! and I liked that rock dog a lot. It tried it's best against that cat.
Dec 26, 2017 11:02 PM
Oct 2016
Shun was such a kind, mature boy though :( It's sad... he really was the least deserving to die. That was a depressing episode...
Feb 11, 2018 12:04 PM

Aug 2017
The episode was good. The only thing that i don't like was the lack of screen of Shun, it will be more interesting if he had more screen time prior to his death. 4/5
NurguburuFeb 11, 2018 12:12 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 15, 2018 9:49 AM

May 2016
So he is dead well I didn't liked him that much to be honest, I definitely thought he would become the main villain.
Apr 24, 2018 2:39 AM
Jul 2018
that autistic bitch didn't restore his cantus lel

on another note, nice fanservice.
May 9, 2018 3:40 PM

Jan 2018
Poor Shun. Oh well, shit happens.

Dec 13, 2018 12:54 AM

Mar 2015
Saki looked so badass at the end of this episode...Oh shit in that preview, is that who I think it is?!
๐“™๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ท ๐“ž๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ด๐“พ ๐“ฏ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“ถ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ข๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ด๐“ผ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฝ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“๐“ท๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ผ ๐“ด๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ช ๐“ซ๐“ฎ๐“ฌ๐“ธ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ช๐”‚ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎ ๐“ช๐“ฝ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“น๐“ธ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฝ.

"โ„๐•’๐•ง๐•– ๐•’ ๐”พ๐• ๐• ๐•• ๐”ป๐•’๐•ช!" - ๐•‚๐•–๐•ง๐•š๐•Ÿ ๐•Š๐•ฅ๐•ฃ๐•’๐•™๐•๐•–; ๐•ƒ๐”ธ ๐”น๐•–๐•’๐•ค๐•ฅ
Dec 19, 2018 4:01 AM

May 2013
Saki looked hawt in this ep, sugoi :0

RIP Shun ;A;
I'll always ship you and Saki <3

Saki, y u no tell Shun ily2? TT^TT although he should've known already since he's so smart, but still D;> Lames.
Feb 19, 2019 4:03 AM
Jul 2016
random guy we met in first view episodes without almost any backstory turns into karma demon and dies. Why should we as viewer care?
Theres almost no backstory for this character and the relationship between him and main girl are kinda meh.
Feb 21, 2019 6:06 PM

May 2017
Are you fucking serious, I was scared that Shun died offscreen last episode, turns it out he survived but dies anyways ...come the fuck on, really?

I dont even know why im so sad and pissed of about this, Shun didnt even had that much depth to his character besides being the mature, wise kid idk

I also wanted a better conclusion between him and Saki, not just a Info dump followed by a "btw Saki love you too, gonna die now bye" kinda thing

Apr 23, 2019 5:01 PM

Sep 2014
Lovely episode. Shinsekai Yori has lots to discover about its setting and this ep shows it best.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 28, 2019 4:14 AM

Oct 2015
That was a great episode. Shun's resignation and Saki's denial of his state was all too difficult to watch. Shun saying "I didn't want any of this!" and subsequently losing control of some of the balls as in to reflect his emotional instability was a really great scene. Their Cantus seems to be also be a manifestation of their subconscious which is unprocessed and therefore uncontrolled. I wonder if their subconscious can also warp their perceived reality, that would explain why they don't seem to care for missing children like Reiko. If that plot point isn't explained I'm going to be a little pissed tbh.
Jul 15, 2019 3:58 PM

Oct 2016
That animation for Saki whimpering in the first minute or so was beyond embarrassing. This show has some good art, but the animation looks so dumb most of the time. Animation can be bad if it compliments the style (Aqua Teen), but in this it just looks stupid sometimes. The show is pretty interesting so far though. I gotta admit, I felt bad for Shun.
EDIT:
Updated signature because Tinypic is shutting down.

PikslapAug 5, 2019 4:07 PM
Aug 7, 2019 1:38 AM

Sep 2017
I was like damn is this amazing show coming to an end already,then realized theres another 15 eps,feels good.
Saki is growing stronger,before she wouldve just been crying and crying but shes standing up for what she wants and i like that.

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Nov 9, 2019 8:38 PM

May 2019
This is like Mob Psycho or Saiki Psi-nan animes, but with the REAL fuc*ed up view of how colossal psychic powers can be a problem.
Nov 16, 2019 8:14 AM

Feb 2017
At this point I don't see how their psychic powers actually make life better. Seems like a total burden that warps their society to no end.
Jan 16, 2020 11:08 AM

Mar 2019
Shun: *dies*
Me: ok.

Subaru: *dies*
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
OωO
Feb 2, 2020 5:19 AM

Dec 2018
Well it's obvious that the LGBT culture is what turning him to a Karma Demon.

Now that I think about it, it's Shun itself that read the story of the Karma Demon. Which could be logical if the one who read the story about the Fiend will eventually become the fiend him/herself.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Feb 29, 2020 11:06 PM

Aug 2017
this is probably the most overrated episode that i ever seen, how could you guys feel any shit for shun? 10 episodes in and the only thing that we knew about him was that he was a good cantus user, and even so everyone cried? did you also cry when reiko disappeared? and that bullshit of saying that he always loved saki, yes, loved so much that preferred satoru than her

a hundred of saki's ass cuts = omg best directing T_T

fuck off
Mar 22, 2020 4:16 PM

Apr 2009
Kumqa said:
The visuals and OST of this episode were outstanding.

How? Just how?
Horrible animation, terrible music.

I'm so close to dropping this show. Only sticking with it until episode 17 to see if it really improves.
Apr 27, 2020 5:23 AM

Sep 2011
The power they have is unique and formidable. However, it comes at a price. A cost of their ultimate freedom, subconscious desire, and eventually, every desire.
May 2, 2020 1:56 PM

Aug 2019
Great episode and really sad too when Subaru died trying to protect Shun and when Shun said that he loved Saki. Though, the animation sometimes felt pretty weird.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Jul 13, 2020 8:01 PM

Mar 2014
I kinda like that it was sorta Saki's fault that this happened by not restoring his cantus properly. That makes it more interesting. I felt like it was too convenient for them to be able to undo their canti getting taken away so easily and without anyone finding out or it ever being brought up again. I guess all the terrible things that will continue to happen from now on will all stem from what happened when they met the false minoshiro/library thing.
Nov 4, 2020 2:31 AM

Jan 2020
The charm did protect Saki from the cat after all. I'm glad it did.

A lot of people here are saying that Shun turned into a karma demon because Saki didn't properly restore his Cantus, but Shun refused it right away. So I don't think that's the case at all.

From what I've understood, the inability to control your Canti – or according to Shun – your subconscious, is what turns you into karma demons and such. That means Shun turned into a karma demon because he was constantly getting overwhelmed by his powers, which led to him being unable to control his Canti or subconscious anymore. It wasn't because Saki messed up the ritual. Shun's story correlates a lot with the story that was told in the second episode, which establishes the fact that it wasn't Saki's fault even more.

This one is probably the best episode so far. Can't wait to watch the next one.
IrrelevantGuyNov 4, 2020 2:36 AM
Nov 5, 2020 4:12 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty predictable episode and sort of rushed in introduction for me making Shun's story less impactful and more of just placed to progress a story out unnaturally, but at least everything else about it was solid enough. Yamauchi's efforts in this episode as the episode director were far better than his episode 5 when it comes to creating atmosphere with his visuals and just technically looking more cohesive too.
Jan 19, 2021 4:41 AM

Feb 2020
Wow what an insane episode. I loved it. So it turns out that this whole time, Shun was actually Frozen's Elsa. Unexpected twist.
More seriously, I'm really loving what they did with him. He is such an interesting character but I feel so bad for him. Did he die at the end ? If that's so then it is very sad, he didn't deserve that...
Overall all the informations we received were quite crazy, and it made for a very interesting message. Now I wonder how things will play out since actually, I am not even sure I understand where Saki currently is.
Jan 22, 2021 5:41 PM
May 2019
Best episode so far
Goodbye Shun and Subaru :(
Jan 26, 2021 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
A bit bummed that Shun died. Was curious to learn more about him :( . I guess that's what I get for watching a world-building focused anime instead of a character-driven one. I still enjoyed this episode though! The idea behind Karmic Demons is interesting.
Feb 13, 2021 3:18 PM
Apr 2015
i was cryin soo bad
Mar 31, 2021 1:53 PM

Apr 2017
damn people be whining about the animation in 2012. it's 2021 and this looks dope af.
Jun 12, 2021 8:10 AM

Jan 2016
Honestly not feeling yet, it was intriguing when they were kids, but idk, it's just boring now and the animation and stiff art isn't helping either. I also don't get the point of the series, at first it seemed that they wanted to show us how evil this society is, but now it's kinda doing everything right, so not sure anymore
Sep 15, 2021 12:18 PM
Aug 2020
I got Casshern Sins vibe from this episode so checked out who the episode director of this epi is, it turned out the same director from Casshern Sins. He has some unique style of visual directing.
Jan 9, 2022 12:09 AM

Nov 2018
Damn, I've just noticed something : Akizuki Maria
I hate everyone equally
Feb 6, 2022 10:22 AM
Nov 2020
A dog is always loyal to its owner even to the end
Apr 21, 2022 1:46 AM

Dec 2018
much better episode even if it was a lot of drama and a massive exposition dump it was needed
Apr 28, 2022 1:43 PM

Jan 2020
Again, Saki is showing off really impressive abilities for her having been so crestfallen at the beginning of the series. I think she doesn't give herself enough credit, if anyone is a genius it's my girl Saki.

Well, a lot to unpack in this episode. The main thing is that this society isn't quite as bad as it has been shown to be. Yes, it's very dystopian, but also, they do have things in place to try and help before they simply give up on something. It was interesting that they tried to seal Shun's Cantus and help him before simply "casting him aside" as has been implied before.

I wonder how many other cases are therefore a matter of not having a cure to a particular instability as opposed to strict controlling of information. So far it's made it seem like forbidden knowledge results in immediate excommunication, but now that doesn't seem to be the case. Though, I guess there could be an argument for how many of these problems; becoming a karma demon, are a result of overreaching. If Shun didn't know certain secrets, would his subconscious be so active?

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jun 10, 2022 1:11 AM

Mar 2021
Poor Subaru )): Good boy
Jul 3, 2022 9:55 PM
Mar 2021
CalmativeJul 3, 2022 9:58 PM
Oct 30, 2022 7:56 PM

Jan 2011
oh man i loved how trippy this episode looked, though i guess this society has no proper way to deal with these Karma Demons since their tainted cats were no threat to Shun who isnt even supposed to be a complete Karma Demon
Jul 21, 2023 5:16 PM
Sep 2018
Actual masterpiece of an episode. Every time I rewatch the series this episode makes me cry harder than I can remember ever crying.
Jul 23, 2023 3:34 PM

Jul 2022
why did she go alone? A lot was explained in this episode, great episode
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.