Forum Settings
Forums

'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' and 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni' Licensed for North America [Update 7/3]

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 3, 2015 6:38 AM

Jun 2013
Does this mean finally a dub, or just a domestic release?
Jul 3, 2015 7:52 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I know someone who will be happy to see that Higurashi's finally getting licensed.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 3, 2015 9:20 AM

Feb 2010
LoGH will look glorious on my shelf with Kozure Ookami.
Jul 3, 2015 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
Interesting that a series this old got licensed. It's memetic popularity on sites like Reddit or MAL perhaps helped.
Jul 3, 2015 11:33 AM

Jul 2010
Agafin said:
Interesting that a series this old got licensed. It's memetic popularity on sites like Reddit or MAL perhaps helped.

All them out of context material man.
Jul 3, 2015 12:36 PM

Jul 2011

Agafin said:

Though I think they're trying to revamp the franchise anyways. They announced some musicals and even a continuation awhile back.

But this is seriously awesome. Though first 3 volumes are pretty much already fan translated, I'm hoping they pick up the rest of the volumes too.

This put me in a really good mood. I'm always up for more LoGH!
MirorinJul 3, 2015 12:43 PM
Jul 3, 2015 12:40 PM

Aug 2014
hybreezy said:
Legend of the Gintama Heroes is still a benchmark of taste from the top ten sir
Jul 3, 2015 12:47 PM

Aug 2014
If only all the elitists cared about their beloved show to buy it.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 3, 2015 2:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Now I find out that the novels are coming as well. I'm ecstatic. I've been waiting for this for years.

Better get my wallet ready.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 3, 2015 2:24 PM

Nov 2014
Don't think I will be reading the novels. Will buy the dvds though if they get released.
Jul 3, 2015 2:26 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
"When They Cry/When They Cry 2/When They Cry Gratitude"

Those are some godawful title translations if I ever saw it =_=
Jul 3, 2015 2:27 PM

Apr 2012
Farabeuf said:
Now I find out that the novels are coming as well. I'm ecstatic. I've been waiting for this for years.

Get ready for some steep prices. 110 episodes won't come cheap.
Jul 3, 2015 2:30 PM

Sep 2014
Good news for both elitists and plebs
Jul 3, 2015 2:30 PM

Aug 2014
Brego1 said:
Farabeuf said:

Probably about $150 total.

Jul 3, 2015 2:31 PM

Aug 2014
guywholikesanime said:
Good news for both elitists and plebs

IKR, higurashi is so mature.

Jul 3, 2015 2:39 PM

May 2012
Oh nice, Higurashi no Naku koro ni is one of the only series I plan to get now.

Recently bought the improved Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi as well.

Pretty nice news.

Jul 3, 2015 3:33 PM

Nov 2012
Brego1 said:
Farabeuf said:

But it won't be stupidly overpriced.
Jul 3, 2015 5:03 PM

Jun 2014
RX-782 said:
Brego1 said:

But it won't be stupidly overpriced.

This. I bought the Gatchaman complete collection from RightStuf, which contains 105 episodes, and the 3-episode OVA on sale for $77.99, while it was $97.49 regular, and that was also put out by Sentai.

Jul 3, 2015 6:40 PM

Jan 2012
I hope it get's dubbed starring lauren baily, greg ares and tod habbercorn as reinhard julian and wenli respictively.

Lets see if actually gets released and it doesn't become like that so called remake which is in limbo.
you sound poor
Jul 3, 2015 11:25 PM

Jul 2013
I highly doubt it gets dubbed, it would be way too expensive to cast each individual character. And having people do more than one role isn't acceptable because the circlejerk that routinely dubs anime isn't talented enough to make it work.
Jul 4, 2015 7:05 AM

Jan 2008
Wow! Definitely buying Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Awesome that it's being licensed after all these years
Jul 4, 2015 7:23 AM

Jun 2008
I'm happy that Higurashi and LOGH are finally licensed. Now I'm just waiting for Kaiji.
Jul 4, 2015 10:33 AM

Jun 2009
Well, this is fucking awesome.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2015 10:37 AM
Nov 2014
Higurashi is getting licensed! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best news ever! It really deserves a lot more love.
Jul 4, 2015 10:57 AM

Sep 2010
ex_necross said:

I doubt LoGH will be dubbed too old plus too expensive cause if they also got the Gaidens thats 160 episodes total. Its going to be a subbed only release unless Sentai is going to take that drastic step which they probably won't its way too risky. I just want it on Bluray since they exist in Japan.

Higurashi will most likely get the sub only release treatment too like with Familiar of Zero now unlike with LoGH it has a good chance of getting a dub if both the second season and OVAs sell well for them. The only thing is if they will call back the old cast or re-cast with their own VAs.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 4, 2015 2:53 PM

Oct 2009
Since Sentai is probably going to go with sub only for Higurashi, I'll be sticking with the Australia import.
Jul 4, 2015 8:54 PM
Feb 2014
Moodie said:
Oh god now more ppl will get to be special snow flakes
ichii_1 said:
I think the mal elitists and their sheep herd deserves the credit for hyping this up to this level.
"salutes"
Jul 5, 2015 3:25 AM

Oct 2013
Roloko said:
I'm not buying the novels until I know all of them are coming out cause if it sells like shit then I'll have an incomplete collection.

This.
I am really interested for the books and looked for them before the announcement but I am not going to take the risk to start buying something on the not improbable chance that they stop translating it after a few volumes.
If they keep the pace of 3 volumes per year it will nearly take 5 years to complete... If they manage to complete the series that's when I am going to buy hoping that it won't be out of print or that a e-book version is available.
Jul 5, 2015 3:50 AM

Jul 2014
FINALLY! Hopefully it'll get the recognition by the anime community as a whole that's long overdue if you ask me.
Take care of yourself

Jul 5, 2015 5:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Roloko said:
ex_necross said:

I doubt LoGH will be dubbed too old plus too expensive cause if they also got the Gaidens thats 160 episodes total. Its going to be a subbed only release unless Sentai is going to take that drastic step which they probably won't its way too risky. I just want it on Bluray since they exist in Japan.

Not to mention the amount of VA's they'd have to get their hands on. The cast is huge!

I certainly hope we get the BD's although I worry that because Japan and the US have the same BD region, sometimes they're only willing to sell DVD license for fear of reverse importation.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 5, 2015 6:01 AM

Apr 2012
Whoa, I can't believe this is actually happening. This is great news!
Jul 11, 2015 9:32 AM
Sep 2014
Brego1 said:
Farabeuf said:

Do you know how it's now?
http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Galactic-Heroes-Blu-ray-Box1/dp/B002N5P2QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436632315&sr=8-1&keywords=legend+of+the+galactic+heroes

800$

it would at least be more reasonable after it's licensed
Jul 11, 2015 9:33 AM

Aug 2014
Farabeuf said:
Roloko said:

Not to mention the amount of VA's they'd have to get their hands on. The cast is huge!

I certainly hope we get the BD's although I worry that because Japan and the US have the same BD region, sometimes they're only willing to sell DVD license for fear of reverse importation.

The blu ray transfer is bad anyway apparently.

Jul 13, 2015 8:30 AM

Feb 2014
Watching LoGH rn and loving it, Higurashi hopefully will get a re-dub (even though I switched to the subs of it already) to replace that god awful dub it has.

Jul 17, 2015 2:00 PM

Apr 2015
It's about time...Might as well sell my Geneon DVDs
DeusExMavroJul 18, 2015 5:56 AM
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Jul 18, 2015 2:37 PM

Sep 2010
Farabeuf said:
Roloko said:

My biggest worry about all of this is that if it is DVD only they don't have the right aspect ratio cause I don't want it to be letter boxed in. I have a 32' in the living room and I really want to watch this with my Dad and it would be a shame if it doesn't fit the entire screen. I tried messing with the aspect on my older Gundam/anime boxsets, but nothing worked and it was still letter boxed. -___-
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 18, 2015 2:49 PM

Aug 2014
Roloko said:
Farabeuf said:

My biggest worry about all of this is that if it is DVD only they don't have the right aspect ratio cause I don't want it to be letter boxed in. I have a 32' in the living room and I really want to watch this with my Dad and it would be a shame if it doesn't fit the entire screen. I tried messing with the aspect on my older Gundam/anime boxsets, but nothing worked and it was still letter boxed. -___-

The show is made in 4:3. The only way of changing that is to stretch everything and make it look like shit.

Aug 13, 2015 9:05 AM

Jul 2012
i thought Funimation acquired the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When they Cry)
Aug 13, 2015 9:22 AM

Sep 2010
black1blade said:
Roloko said:

The show is made in 4:3. The only way of changing that is to stretch everything and make it look like shit.

Oh I see well that sucks now I'm pulling for Sentai to get the Blurays xD
Dec 29, 2016 9:57 AM

May 2016
So are we ever going to get a dub for Higurashi or what? Because I looked at Sentai's filmworks catalog and Higurashi wasn't even on there. I'm starting to think that it's never gonna happen, considering it's been so long and there hasn't been any news since this was announced almost two years ago
Jan 4, 2017 7:03 PM

Sep 2010
StephanieNicole said:
So are we ever going to get a dub for Higurashi or what? Because I looked at Sentai's filmworks catalog and Higurashi wasn't even on there. I'm starting to think that it's never gonna happen, considering it's been so long and there hasn't been any news since this was announced almost two years ago

All three seasons are on rightstuf on Bluray.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/When-They-Cry-Season-1-Blu-ray
http://www.rightstufanime.com/When-They-Cry-Kai-Season-2-Blu-ray
http://www.rightstufanime.com/When-They-Cry-Rei-Season-3-Blu-ray

As for a dub I doubt it since Geneon did not profit well from the first season's dub. So Sentai won't risk dubbing something that they know will not sell much.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

62 by _MushiRock11_ »»
5 seconds ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
3 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 6 hours ago

1 by deg »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.