Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Kouenmae Hashutsujo' Ends After Long Serialization

New
Sep 3, 2016 5:28 AM

Nov 2007
Mangaka Osamu Akimoto has announced that his manga Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Kouenmae Hashutsujo (abbreviated as Kochikame) would end its 40 years of serialization on the 42nd issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump magazine, which will be releasing on September 17th. The final volume, which will be its 200th volume, will also be shipped on the same day.

The manga started its serialization on September 1976. It has received 373 episodes long TV anime adaptation with several specials and movies, as well as live action TV and movie adaptations. The previously announced new TV anime special titied Ryoutsu Kankichi Saigo no Hi will air on September 18, 2016.

Source: Otakomu
SnowSep 15, 2016 8:36 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 3, 2016 5:31 AM

Apr 2009
I honestly never thought I'd live long enough to see this happen, truly the end of an era.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 3, 2016 5:31 AM

Sep 2014
The Legend comes to an end...

Quite unexpected that the lonngest-running manga ends in this month, thats really sudden. 200 Vols....respect digga :D
Hopefully some fansubbers pick this series up, wanna read/watch it ^^

Jump is slowly dying now - Naruto, Ass-Classoom, Nisekoi, Bleach ended and now Gintama in its final arc and Toriko in climax and welp HiatusXHiatus.... D:

Sep 3, 2016 5:40 AM

Apr 2009
CaptainZoro said:

Jump is slowly dying now - Naruto, Ass-Classoom, Nisekoi, Bleach ended and now Gintama in its final arc and Toriko in climax and welp HiatusXHiatus.... D:

It's a bit unfair to say that as the "Big 3 (I dislike that term personally) era was one of the more successful WSJ eras as a whole. Sure, nothing will beat the mid 90s era when titles like Slam Dunk, Dragonball and Yuu Yuu Hakusho were all getting published at the same time but the big titles that started in 1997-98 (Naruto, OP, HxH) and the subsequent rise of lots of other good tier 2 sellers like Bleach (arguably more of a flagship in the West than in Japan, though it had its time there as well), Hitman, Gintama, Toriko, etc. made 2000s WSJ a very successful era overall. Even lesser known series like Nura, Psyren or Beelzebub from that era sold quite well.

Even now WSJ still has OP (best selling manga of all time), HxH, Souma, etc. Not as good as before, but certainly not an abyssmal state either. It is true that WSJ could use some more titles with potential. Sadly, both the imho underrated iron knight and Stealth Symphony got axed quite quickly whereas stuff like Black Clover seems to do alright :/

Instead I'd be more worried about Weekly Shounen Sunday, which is doing by far the worst out of the three big Shounen publications and hasn't had a real new hit in 5 years or so. I certainly can see Shounen Magazine and Jump getting closer again with more and more big WSJ series ending, though. They are doing quite well atm.

NidhoeggrSep 3, 2016 5:44 AM
Sep 3, 2016 6:10 AM
Apr 2014
Wow this was THE longest running manga ever, well now Jump has one more free slot to throw new manga at us and hope that one of them will stick and become the next Naruto or whatever, or else face inevitable cancelation. Looking forward to see the flood of manga canned at 10 chapters. Jump the king of massively produced short stories.
Drake1000Sep 3, 2016 6:39 AM
Sep 3, 2016 6:15 AM
Mar 2011
sadly this is over afther 40 plus years no manga will ever last like this again
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 3, 2016 6:35 AM

Mar 2014
This is crazy! :O
Well, Akimoto-san has at least gone on record to say that he has an idea for a new project after this, even if he hasn't shared any details on it yet.

Honestly, while it's true this is the end of an era, it might be an interesting move for shonen manga as a whole. If a new Osamu Akimoto series gets brought over to the west and becomes a big hit, then more creators may try and duplicate his success and try to appeal to the west. They may end up experimenting with character designs, or at least try to emulate his art style, and I think this kind of experimentation is exactly what's needed for shonen manga nowadays. They need to take more risks and try new things and see what works instead of sticking to the same basic formulas they always have.

Of course, I'm just speaking in hypotheticals, but if things play out like I think they might, this may soon end up giving us more variety in the visual design of shonen jump manga than we've seen in a while, and could perhaps promote change across the entire industry.
Interesting times, to be sure.
vigorousjammerSep 3, 2016 6:41 AM
::End of Transmission::

Sep 3, 2016 6:38 AM

Jan 2013
Never thought I would still be around to witness this either.. This is genuinely sad, but everything must meet its end someday
Sep 3, 2016 6:51 AM

Jan 2011
And it'll be another 40 years before the rest of it gets translated.
Sep 3, 2016 7:12 AM

Mar 2015
and then, i dying a little inside... soo, new project actually a firewelll words to us? that is sad to see... hope it got licendced in my country one day since fantranslator look nearly impossible (some group pick up few mounths ago, but it not updated since 3 mounth or so)...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 3, 2016 7:17 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I thought Golgo 13 was the longest running manga, at least in terms of years, not volumes though

Regardless, this is definitely a flagship down. The end of an era if you will
Sep 3, 2016 7:18 AM

May 2015
I can't believe it. Too bad this won't be ever translated, or at least, not in my life time.
The crazy thing is that the author actually want to write another thing, can't take a break...
Sep 3, 2016 7:29 AM

Jul 2014
"Long seralization" is a bit of an understatement, this manga is older than most people on this site... Really incredible, seeing this end. And the author plans to do ANOTHER series? What a legend.
Sep 3, 2016 7:59 AM

Mar 2015
Nidhoeggr said:
Even now WSJ still has OP (best selling manga of all time), HxH, Souma, etc. Not as good as before, but certainly not an abyssmal state either. It is true that WSJ could use some more titles with potential. Sadly, both the imho underrated iron knight and Stealth Symphony got axed quite quickly whereas stuff like Black Clover seems to do alright :/
because black clover actually got interesting after meh start when iron knight and stealth symphony is a letdown afterwards...

Nidhoeggr said:
Instead I'd be more worried about Weekly Shounen Sunday, which is doing by far the worst out of the three big Shounen publications and hasn't had a real new hit in 5 years or so.
the last time new WSS series got breaking 100K is DAGASHI KASHI... LMAO... something is certainly wrong in WSS management.. they have plenty long list series ready to adapted, yet they prefer premature new hit series instead that their hype easily dies.. hope their newest hit not get same treatement (something with tomboy childhood friends and something with aliens)... they have upcoming keijo adaptation, lets see how it can offer...

the rise of digital era also have plenty contribution on it...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 3, 2016 8:29 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
The final volume is the 200th volume! Dayum! That's no laughing matter.

The end of an era, and definitely a legend. I've never read this manga and probably never will be in my entire lifetime because it's not translated and it would, of course, take a lot of time to find & read all those chapters. Overflowing respect to the author for drawing this manga for 40 years. And yet he's planning on a new project after this? Well dayum, son.
Sep 3, 2016 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Been always interested in the series though.

Sep 3, 2016 8:31 AM

Sep 2013
#respect
Ippou, Conan, Golgo are next.
Truly the end of ages.

It's getting the cover for it's last chapter, only slam dunk has ever gotten it before.
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/200529
ichii_1Sep 3, 2016 9:32 AM
Sep 3, 2016 8:44 AM

Apr 2011
Now this is the end of an era. Respect to the guy for keeping it running for so long.

ichii_1 said:
#respect
Truly the end of ages.

Only way Ippo's gonna end any time soon is if George decides to retire or is forced to... which actually might happen.
Sep 3, 2016 8:52 AM

Feb 2012
Wow and I thought Ippo was a pretty long series.

Its a celebration. Salute to the author.
Sep 3, 2016 8:58 AM
Mar 2011
yhunata said:
Now this is the end of an era. Respect to the guy for keeping it running for so long.

ichii_1 said:
#respect
Truly the end of ages.

Only way Ippo's gonna end any time soon is if George decides to retire or is forced to... which actually might happen.

g13 will not ened untill the manga ka dies
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 3, 2016 9:09 AM

Jun 2013
Man this sucks! I didn't think I'd see the day of kochikame ending. The author never missed even 1 issue in 40 years of publication, although it seems he has it now. Thank you akimoto - sensei!
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Sep 3, 2016 9:38 AM

Jun 2012
Now I hope that the upcoming Anime will be a close adaptation of the entire series :o
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2016 10:13 AM

Apr 2015
Is this real life? Jokes aside, I never thought it would ever end considering its long run. I have a lot of respect for the author for keeping it up as long as he have.
Sep 3, 2016 11:25 AM

Mar 2015
yhunata said:

ichii_1 said:
#respect
Truly the end of ages.

i doubt it will axed or at least in close time, since it still really well received... but yeah, hope the author always healthy until he have will to end his series...
Sep 3, 2016 11:34 AM

Jun 2015
wow, that's a big news, totally unexpected
#respect
Sep 3, 2016 11:54 AM

Feb 2014
I recently added this manga to my list and couldn't believe it was publishing since 1976!
Sep 3, 2016 11:57 AM

Feb 2013
I never read Kochikame because I don't find translation but is one of mangas that I have more respect for having 40 years of publication, it has sold 150 million and is one of the pillars. I'm glad the end of the series after 40 years and finished with 200 volumes.
Sep 3, 2016 1:26 PM

Jan 2013
And another staple of Jump reaches it's conclusion...

I'm speechless! Kochikame is one of those manga that's been going for so long and is so iconic that nobody ever thought they'd see it end. What a time to be alive, huh?

Still, writing a manga for 40 years at 200 volumes without a single week-off is an amazing accomplishment. I've got mad respect for Akimoto for ending it with such a huge milestone after so many years of hard work, AND already having another manga in the works after it. The guy's a machine!
Sep 3, 2016 1:39 PM

Mar 2014
About time to re-release the series on DVD/BD, no? Imagine if they were charging $60 for W2 episodes, over $11,000 for the whole series lol.
Sep 3, 2016 6:57 PM

Apr 2011
Kuma said:
yhunata said:

i doubt it will axed or at least in close time, since it still really well received... but yeah, hope the author always healthy until he have will to end his series...

I just didn't want to use the word "death" or anything associated with it. His health is the major concern for me. So many times Ippo is released with around 12-14 pages with a note about his health not being great that it's hard not to think that he may pass before finishing it.
Sep 3, 2016 9:21 PM
Sep 2012
ichii_1 said:
#respect
Truly the end of ages.

It's getting the cover for it's last chapter, only slam dunk has ever gotten it before.
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/200529

Don't forget Jojo too! But Golgo is amazing, it's 8 years longer than Kochikame even, although it isn't weekly.

I'm just thinking how it would be to be Akimoto. He's literally seen the coming and going of every popular Jump manga in history while he's been serialised besides what's running atm.
Sep 3, 2016 9:41 PM

Nov 2007
He will be doing what he has been doing while doing Kochikame.
http://jin115.com/archives/52145692.html
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 3, 2016 10:01 PM

Jun 2014
Well there goes another Jump backbone, and truly the one I didn't think I'd see ending this or next decade. I can't believe how many Jump pillars have ended over the last two years (starting with Naruto in 2014), the start of a new era perhaps...
Sep 3, 2016 10:13 PM

Jan 2012
I never read the series, but congrats to the author. 200 volumes and one of the best selling manga series. *salute*

Once it does official end in like 2-3 weeks. Shonen Jump is only going to have two manga series that are pre-2000 (One Piece and Hunter x Hunter) and two manga series that are in the 2000-2010 range (Gintama - 2003 and Toriko - 2008).

Everything else is post-2010. It's crazy to think about it. Plus I've been hearing that (not sure if 100% true) that Toriko and Gintama are close to ending. Hunter is always in hiatus/limbo, so the only one that is really going to last for at least about another decade or so is One Piece. When they 4 series finish it will truly be the end of an era for Shonen Jump. The pre-2010 era will officially be over.
Sep 3, 2016 11:09 PM

Dec 2015
It is strange to see this series end.

To all those who think it might be a chance to see them released in the West, this will never happen: is the general public interested in following the technological/entertainment innovations of those last decades in Japan? I don't think so. The overall theme is timeless but it relies too often on things related to the year or even month of publication.

Drake1000 said:
Wow this was THE longest running manga ever, well now Jump has one more free slot to throw new manga at us and hope that one of them will stick and become the next Naruto.

I doubt that they will use a gag manga slot to introduce a new non-gag manga. They don't even have the same number of pages per chapter. That's actually the best part of the news: this means a new gag manga will appear in the Shônen JUMP.
Sep 4, 2016 2:43 AM
Aug 2012
I hope he shave his unibrow in the last chapter it will be better than bleach ending
Sep 4, 2016 4:44 AM

Jun 2016
Dang, every time I get into something it dies x_x I got into kochikame almost a year ago ... Unfortunately I never got to read the manga but I saw both movies, many random episodes and own 3 DVDs at this time. Of course I even have some miscellaneous affairs as well but I hope someday I will get to check out the manga.
Sep 4, 2016 11:53 AM

Jun 2014
wow holy shit, if Kochikame can end without the mangaka dying, then maybe it is possible for Detective Conan to end one day
Sep 4, 2016 2:49 PM

Jan 2014
What a freaking legend, I remember watching this show as a kid.
Hopefully he gets some well deserved rest before he starts his next project.
Sep 4, 2016 5:09 PM

Feb 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Instead I'd be more worried about Weekly Shounen Sunday, which is doing by far the worst out of the three big Shounen publications and hasn't had a real new hit in 5 years or so.

Even more, they axed some of their most popular series for this stupid 2014 action. At this point, WSS deserves to die. Most of their hit series are past their prime anyway.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Sep 5, 2016 4:12 AM

Apr 2009
Nucksen said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Even more, they axed some of their most popular series for this stupid 2014 action. At this point, WSS deserves to die. Most of their hit series are past their prime anyway.

Care to fill me in? I haven't been keeping up with WSS recently.
Sep 5, 2016 4:45 AM

Feb 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Nucksen said:

In 2014, they decided to celebrate their 55th birthday to start exactly 55 new series that year. So they prematurely ended quite a number of old series, along that so well-received and respected series like the World God only knows and Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi to release a slur of spin-offs, One-Shots, short lived anime adaptions etc. a huge part of the current lineup of WSS started that year and Dagashi Kashi is the only even mildly successful series.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Sep 5, 2016 7:36 AM

Apr 2009
Nucksen said:
Nidhoeggr said:

In 2014, they decided to celebrate their 55th birthday to start exactly 55 new series that year. So they prematurely ended quite a number of old series, along that so well-received and respected series like the World God only knows and Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi to release a slur of spin-offs, One-Shots, short lived anime adaptions etc. a huge part of the current lineup of WSS started that year and Dagashi Kashi is the only even mildly successful series.

Oh, that situation. I was under the impression TWGOK got cut short due to the obvious problems of the final arc. If they actually just cut it short because they wanted to do a silly event like this, it would be beyond idiotic.

More topics from this board

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for May

Aiimee - 5 hours ago

0 by Aiimee »»
5 hours ago

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

17 by Synrax »»
6 hours ago

» 'Senpai wa Otokonoko' Announces Additional Staff, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
7 hours ago

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - May 1

8 by DARM11 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Kaijuu 8-gou' Unveils Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by deg »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.