Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sweetness and Lightning
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2016 8:37 PM

Jan 2014
Wow this series is cute. I found the setting and the voice cast very charming.

That girl sometimes annoys me a bit with her "kid accent", then again it is pretty realistic (and surprisingly the seiyu IS a 10 year old kid for real).

Also I have a weakness for long black-haired girls, specially when they have a soft voice like Hayamin. The three characters are pretty charming and make a warm circle. I will keep watching.
Jul 4, 2016 8:45 PM

Jun 2013
M-my heart... This warm feeling anime is what I was looking for this summer thank goodness
Jul 4, 2016 8:56 PM

Jul 2009
This is good, the characters have a good charisma and the seiyu are great.

I got some Usagi Drop/Barakamon vibes from this show and it is definitely worthy to watch.
Jul 4, 2016 9:00 PM
Jun 2016
I didn't anticipate how emotional this show was going to be. A setup I'm not used to seeing in an anime, single parent trying to raise a child after the spouse recently passed away.

Really like where this my be heading.
Jul 4, 2016 9:02 PM

Jan 2013
Impossible to dislike, super sweet.
Nice that it's mostly serious given the Slice of Life, Comedy tags, no drama tag.
Jul 4, 2016 9:03 PM

Jun 2009
hopefully no student-teacher relationship thing...
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Jul 4, 2016 9:08 PM

May 2013
I got something better than what I expected. Can't complain with that ;)
I'm lovin' it
Jul 4, 2016 9:19 PM

Jul 2011
Hmmm... it's okay. Though not on the level of Naru and definitely not Rin yet.

I'm actually more interested in the father and how he deals with his new lifestyle.
Jul 4, 2016 9:50 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
PERFECT. This is the perfect show to start Mondays after coming home from a long day of work. I can see why people would compare Naru from Barakamon to Tsumugi. Their personalities are quite similar, hyper, outgoing and voices too.

I also found the show a bit bittersweet due to the mother's death, I don't think Tsumugi will be told any time soon about that. I don't expect romance, mainly because I think they will have the father focus only on his daughter.

Kotori seems like a character that will be like an older sister to Tsumugi. She may shy and timid but I feel like she's going to open up more and probably become part of the family.
I thought for sure the rice would come out all burnt. Her expression when she taste her own rice was cute. It looked all puffy.

For a 1st episode I'm loving the show already.

Jul 4, 2016 9:52 PM
Aug 2011
I really do have a soft spot for single parents raising children.

Was just saying that Handa-kun without Naru would be different but I guess I don't have to look too far now.

kerobear said:
hopefully no student-teacher relationship thing...

same here
Jul 4, 2016 9:55 PM

Dec 2014
the first episode was adorable.. and seemed too fast to me...
Jul 4, 2016 10:22 PM

Jun 2013
Somehow this is even more adorable in animated form than in the manga
and I'm really happy at how well its being adapted so far :)
Jul 4, 2016 10:25 PM

Nov 2007
I love this show. It almost made me cry. T_T

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jul 4, 2016 10:26 PM

Jun 2013
DatRandomDude said:
Oh man, this is too fucking good
I smiled the entire episode.
I really hope theres no creepy shit happening to ruin this

Easily best first episode so far this season !

You don't have to worry about it being creepy, as a manga reader the story is nothing but sweetness between the three leads
It's hinted that kotori has feelings for sensei but it's not a big part of the plot whatsoever.
Jul 4, 2016 10:30 PM

Mar 2016
THIS SHOW IS SO ADORABLE. I CAN'T HANDLE.
Really heartwarming watching such shows. I'm so glad I picked this up ^_^
The VA for Inuzuka did a splendid job. The music and animation are pretty good as well :D

Jul 4, 2016 10:33 PM

Jul 2014
HecticLeo said:
While browsing through Crunchyroll's seasonal chart I stumbled upon Sweetness & Lighting. A quick glance at the visual and I thought to myself this looked like a rather boring show. However, unless I am completely opposed to watching a show, I always try and give seasonals a fair chance. Without a doubt, I am very glad I decided to press play because Sweetness & Lightning may just become an anime that I will remember for awhile and will hold dearly within my heart.

Being a young adult male myself I often do think about what's in store for my future. Many times I have thought about being the best dad I could be. This anime really connects with me on a more personal level as Inuzuka represents what I wish to become. A father that loves his child to the moon and back is something that I want to be when I reach that point in my life. Seeing how happy Tsumugi is being around dad mad each and every scene joyful and happy. I couldn't help but smile. Their relationship is touching beyond words. The premise of this show reminded me a lot of Wolf Children but the key difference here is that the lone parent is portrayed at somewhat incompetent, Inuzuka is capable of reaching the bare minimum but when it comes to cooking, he is rather inexperienced. And he knows that. This is someone who isn't blinded but instead aware of reality yet he still tries his hardest at being the best dad he can for his daughter. His love for Tsumugi is really charming and throughout this first episode there were so many moments where I just sat back and took in the sweetness of the anime.

We're then introduced to the other main character, Kotori, and right away I noticed she is voice acted by someone who voices characters from some of my favorite shows, Shirayuki from Akagami no Shirayukihime, Ayase from Oreimo, and Yukino from Oregairu. Her voice fits perfectly with how Kotori is being portrayed, a shy and timid girl, and with Kotori added to the mix I can see a lot of funny moments in future episodes. I couldn't be the only one to ask myself, "is she going to boil that rice?", when she poured the water into the pot and let it sit to soak in the water. Given how she reacted when she was not sure how much water to put into the pot, it's not too crazy of me to think she doesn't know how to make rice.

As much as this show is cheerful and bright, there were some serious and down to earth moments. It's hinted that Tsumugi does not know the fate of her mom and when she innocently asked Inuzuka to write a letter to her mom, one could see how much impact that one phrase had on the poor father. It hit me pretty hard as well. There will always be the debate on whether or not young children should be told of these things. Is it better to let them know now and allow them time to grief or protect their smiles until they're older and hopefully better at comprehending and accepting the situation. Both routes has it's issues and there will never be a satisfying answer. I wonder if this point will be brought up later into the anime. While so far the anime is shown as a lighter more happy show, I think it would be nice if this situation got dealt with later on as a point of development for Tsumugi.

Seeing Inuzuka emotional at the sight of his daughter enjoy a simple cup of homemade cooked rice was incredibly touching. It showcased how hard the situation was on him, being unable to cook a proper delicious meal, and it actually made me tear up a bit. Relating back to how much his Tsumugi means to Inuzuka, even eating something as basic as rice, without any side dishes either, the happiness he experienced in that moment was very moving.

The Summer 2016 lineup felt a bit weak to me compared to the previous Winter and Spring. The only shows that I was really looking forward too were the much anticipated Orange and Food Wars Season 2. Everything else seemed to be just your average show, ones that I'll most likely end up liking but none that would leave a lasting impression on me. I am tremendously excited to add Sweetness & Lightning to my list of potential seasonal favorites and will be looking forward to every Monday for the next couple of months.

They say you will miss every shot you don't take, I am glad I took a shot today.

Great writeup. I share the same sentiments on every point down to the dot. It's kinda weird but also feels good to know that there is someone who shares the exact same thoughts and feelings lol
KazuyaKiyoshiJul 4, 2016 10:44 PM
Jul 4, 2016 10:52 PM

Sep 2015
if VA of both father and daughter are from clannad i will crack

can i expect more comedy with no unknown ill related on ending?
Into the Internet!
Jul 4, 2016 10:59 PM

May 2014
This felt more like a drama than a comedy
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jul 4, 2016 11:01 PM

Sep 2015
RiceLover said:

Great writeup. I share the same sentiments on every point down to the dot. It's kinda weird but also feels good to know that there is someone who shares the exact same thoughts and feelings lol

Thank you! I've started to do these little write ups to share my thoughts and opinions while also practicing my writing skills. I'm glad there is someone out there who thinks the same way. :D
Jul 4, 2016 11:38 PM
Aug 2014
I was smiling the whole time and was on the verge of tears, it just feels so well written and overall ADORABLE. LIKE, THESE FEELS, I CAN'T.

BEST FIRST EPISODE THIS SEASON YET.

Jul 4, 2016 11:39 PM

Apr 2013
Stuff like this is so refreshing...
Jul 4, 2016 11:46 PM

Dec 2013
Will just leave this here:

After 1 episode, my collection is already 38 images strong...

HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 4, 2016 11:51 PM

Dec 2009
God this was too cute. So many feels with the dad trying to take care of his daughter. He just wanted her to have a good meal ;_; when he teared up so did I. Definitely going to be one of the series I look forward to each week for the cuteness and feels.
Jul 4, 2016 11:53 PM

Jan 2014
This anime has the Studio Ghibli charm.
Jul 4, 2016 11:57 PM

Aug 2013
It was so gooooooddd!

Way better than I was expecting, damn cute and oh boy that Feels scene was really well done.

The cooking scene took me back a to my youth when I was learning how to cook xD
Jul 5, 2016 12:07 AM

Sep 2013
This was a pretty good and fairly touching episode. I didn't have too much expectations from this show and only watched because I'm a Saori Hayami (Kotori) fanboy. Tsugumi is super adorable in this! I can see where this is going but regardless, I'm still gonna watch it as I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought.

The opening song is very catchy too.
TehSnawnJul 5, 2016 12:12 AM

Jul 5, 2016 12:16 AM
May 2016
That was so adorable. I have a good feeling about this anime. The art style is so nice and watching it was really refreshing, although I feel like there will be some feels in this anime.
Jul 5, 2016 12:52 AM

Jan 2015
OMG, this made my heart melt, that was just so sweet can't believe I got watery eyes from just the 1st episode, so adorable omg! Euto-saen Oww
Jul 5, 2016 12:55 AM

Jun 2013
Perfect Family
Yuiichi just married Hayamin dammit!!!

Jul 5, 2016 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely one of the best start of the season so far. Tsumugi was cute, and I hope they will do a decent job like usagi drop(anime) to show the relationship and struggles of a single father-daughter. 5/5.
Jul 5, 2016 1:24 AM

Jan 2014
>Naru's VA
>Hayami Saori
>In one anime

AotS
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2016 1:44 AM

May 2014
Just lost it when tsumugi went like 'write a letter to mom to send us cool meat like this' ... It hit he as hard as it hit her father... :( . 10/10 1st ep.
Jul 5, 2016 2:00 AM

Sep 2010
Damn this was the saddest cutest anime that I have seen in the while.

Much unlike the anime that I usually get excited over, this one gives completely different feeling while watching it!

This season is already too great, giving one great anime after another, I knew it will be great but I am worried about my weekly watching list in this season.
Jul 5, 2016 2:08 AM

Feb 2016
Great episode , i love the VA for that littel girl though i must ask isn't the same VA for Naru from barakmon ?
Anyway reading some of the reviews here made me feel like i'm a heartless bastard , i didn't get tear in my eyes not even feeing bad for them ( yes even seeing the mother picture ) , i think usagi drop first episode was more dramatic .

Well i hope the following episodes will focus on comedy side with some touching moments for the viewrs here and there , it's better for me if it was that kind of anime where we see how a father and daughter spend their time without to much drama ( even though usagi drop first episode felt dramatic , what came later was relaxing and beautiful ) though i'm only talking about usagi drop the anime not the manga lol
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jul 5, 2016 2:11 AM
Aug 2013
Completely in love with this.

Tsugumi is adorable, and her father and her has a touching relationship.

Kotori is a cute and interesting characters as well, can't wait to see them all cook together and whatever happens.

Can't wait for more!
Jul 5, 2016 3:06 AM

May 2009
MagicalMahou said:
>Naru's VA
>Hayami Saori
>In one anime

AotS

Hina's, not Naru.
Jul 5, 2016 3:56 AM

Jul 2015
Reminds of of Barakamon and Usagi Drop, I've expected this to be good, but I didn't expect to hear the voice of Saori Hayami, Overall this is a promising anime with a decent slice of life premise,

5/5
Jul 5, 2016 4:16 AM
Aug 2013
Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I feel like it should be said:

"It's super-good!"

5/5 <3
Jul 5, 2016 4:17 AM

Nov 2011
SakurasouBusters said:
DatRandomDude said:
Oh man, this is too fucking good
I smiled the entire episode.
I really hope theres no creepy shit happening to ruin this

Easily best first episode so far this season !

You don't have to worry about it being creepy, as a manga reader the story is nothing but sweetness between the three leads
It's hinted that kotori has feelings for sensei but it's not a big part of the plot whatsoever.

You've given me hope! The manga is still ongoing? So they can still marry a couple years later? That's fine with me :3

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jul 5, 2016 5:01 AM

Jan 2016
This episode was so good & touching. Especially Tsumagi was cute.
Jul 5, 2016 5:05 AM

Jul 2013
There were some sad parts, but...TOO CUTE !!! :3

Jul 5, 2016 5:51 AM

Sep 2015
That feel and my tears.
Jul 5, 2016 7:08 AM

Sep 2014
Usagi Drop vibes. Yeah, I like this. ^_^
Jul 5, 2016 7:24 AM
Aug 2015
This is so sweet <3 When the dad teared up I was like T.T This is a pretty relaxing show to watch.
Jul 5, 2016 7:52 AM

Oct 2011
It's just the first episode but damn, it's so heartwarming and touching it makes me cry. I admit I'm a sucker for these kinds of stories.
Jul 5, 2016 8:15 AM
Aug 2008
Train to Feeladelphia has no brakes.
Jul 5, 2016 8:17 AM

Jul 2011
First episode and it already freaking touched me

Gawd damn, this is gonna be good
Jul 5, 2016 8:25 AM
Apr 2015
relaxing slash heartwarming anime of the season spotted! and with my fave seiyuus too!

yass, now i'm hungry lol
Jul 5, 2016 8:35 AM

Jun 2016
Could be the cutest anime of the year.It's just a massive flood of cuteness and I love it!Tsumugi is effin adorable too.
Jul 5, 2016 9:21 AM

Aug 2014
It was so cute to watch. I can't wait for the next episode!
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

90 by Raizel »»
Mar 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

117 by Raizel »»
Feb 23, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2016

151 by Raizel »»
Feb 15, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

151 by Animeshnik012 »»
Jan 5, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2016

64 by Amber_4shenfell »»
Jul 2, 2023 3:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.