Forum Settings
Forums

Do you watch the anime or read the manga first?

New
May 13, 2016 4:48 PM
Apr 2016
I watch the anime first. Since the manga's usually better (according to most people), I feel like I won't fully enjoy the anime if I read the manga first.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 13, 2016 4:55 PM

Oct 2015
I would prefer reading the manga first before the anime, it's discouraging to read the manga when the I already watched the anime.

Mar 2015
who seriously starting read manga after anime already anounced?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

May 2016
Yeah, I always watch the adaptation before I read the manga. I'll do the same with movies and books. If I read the source material first it can often taint my view of the adaptation.
May 13, 2016 4:58 PM

Jun 2015
I always watch the anime first, if it's available. But I hear about most anime through the manga.
良い曲 // アスカ名言

ママ、ママ、わかったわ。ATフィールドの意味!!私を護っていてくれてる!私を見てくれてる!!ずっと、ずっと一緒だったのね!ママッ!!

気持ち悪い
May 13, 2016 5:01 PM
Feb 2016
Anime first when it's available already.
Manga first if the anime is announced or if I want to.

I'm reading Koe no Katachi manga first before watching the anime soon.
May 13, 2016 5:16 PM

Feb 2014
eh, I either do one or the other, rarely I do both.
May 13, 2016 5:36 PM

Aug 2015
I try to avoid watching and reading the same series. i find it really boring to watch/read after i already know the story.
May 13, 2016 5:38 PM

Oct 2014
I don't read enough manga to have a true "reading tactic" for this. Of the anime I've read 11 did not have an anime adaption when I started them, 4 had an adaption I had already watched, 1 had an adaption that I watched after, and 2 had an adaption that I didn't watch.
May 13, 2016 5:44 PM

Apr 2010
Usually anime first, because I only search for completed manga when I feel like reading something.
May 13, 2016 5:46 PM

Jun 2011
I read manga for things there are not adaptations of normally... I really would have to be a mega fan or the show has to not end and I have to have become such a mega fan I will read it after watching the anime. I only read the manga for two anime after watching them... Aku no Hana and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Well, not counting crappy OVA anime for yaoi and shonen ai.

Despite having an anime now, I read Gravitation. Despite having an anime at the time, I read Ranma 1/2 and didn't watch it because I didn't know it had an anime at the time. Same with Fushigi Yugi.

Most yaoi and shonen ai... has really bad anime... so it is understanable I just read them instead. I have watched several shows after reading the manga... but not usually because I intentionally read the manga first to be some hipster... usually just because the adaptation wasn't out yet... or the adaptation really sucked...
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 13, 2016 5:55 PM

Sep 2015
Kuma said:
Is..is that really abnormal and weird habit? xD

I did this quite handful times to be honest, HunterxHunter, Gintama, Watamote, Claymore and now I am currently watching Planetes, it is really great to the point it makes me want to know further about the original source as well and compare both version.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
May 13, 2016 5:58 PM
Jul 2014
I only watch the anime. I don't do manga. Anime is obviously superior to manga because of the animation, art, sound, music, and a ton of other things the manga doesn't got. I don't get why some people think manga will ever be better. Just because it may have a slightly better story? I require me some colors, voices, and good oppai jiggles. If I finish an anime, I'll know a lot of what happens in the manga so I don't want to read it. If I read a manga, it could get an anime adaption and I don't want to know what happens during the anime.
May 13, 2016 5:58 PM

Mar 2015
UpperCat said:
Kuma said:
i don't said it totaly wierd habit...i just found it totaly useless becasue you know you will dissapointed most of time and oftenly lowering your enjoyment in anime...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 13, 2016 6:16 PM

Sep 2015
Kuma said:
UpperCat said:
i don't said it totaly wierd habit...i just found it totaly useless becasue you know you will dissapointed most of time and oftenly lowering your enjoyment in anime...

Ah, I see, different folks different strokes I guess. So far I haven't experienced the scenario you mentioned there, I usually picked the manga from already completed anime though and read them after I finished with the anime but haven't felt disappointed or felt to lowering my score, yet.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
May 13, 2016 6:24 PM

Mar 2015
UpperCat said:
Kuma said:

Ah, I see, different folks different strokes I guess. So far I haven't experienced the scenario you mentioned there, I usually picked the manga from already completed anime though and read them after I finished with the anime but haven't felt disappointed or felt to lowering my score, yet.
that's why i wording my santance this way...
Kuma said:
the step should be..
> anime adaptation anounced
> you read original source of it after you heard it
> watch anime afterwards
May 13, 2016 6:26 PM

Jan 2016
It's more natural to watch an anime before a manga. A lot of animes are created for the purpose of advertising the manga. That's why there are countless animes without a 2nd season or ends abruptly *Coughs* Nisekoi *Coughs* No Game No Life. Unless the anime is popular, there's little to no point of producing. In general, more profit is made through manga than anime despite many underpaid animators. Not many people are willing to buy those DVDs to show support.
May 13, 2016 6:28 PM
Jul 2015
If I readed the source I don't use to watch the anime, so I prefer to watch anime first.

May 13, 2016 6:43 PM

Sep 2015
@Kuma
Well, that's why I gave my statement there to make everything clear. I said usually though, I did once like what you said there with Watamote btw. Anyway this is not a biggie, I merely state my exposition. We can move along now.

May 13, 2016 8:50 PM

Apr 2014
I almost always read the manga first and then if I liked it I move on to the anime. Doesn't really happen with the long standing franchises tho, I have tried to do the same with naruto and attack on titan, got tired halfway as I already knew what would happen next and ended up dropping them. It's fine if it's a short anime with just a season with 12 episodes but u really can't watch an anime with like a 100 episodes knowing exactly what will happen next. If I happen to watch the anime first then I don't really bother reading the manga.
May 13, 2016 9:57 PM

Jul 2015
Honestly, this is something that I've been wondering for myself recently, since I recently got into manga reading. I've been wondering whether or not I should read the manga first or watch the anime, but as of right now, I read the manga first, then watch it come to life through anime afterwards.

caught in the wonder
May 13, 2016 10:19 PM

Feb 2015
If both are out, anime first then manga, because the manga tends to be better and it's more fun in my eyes to save the better story for later.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
May 13, 2016 10:23 PM

Nov 2015
I don't read manga at all..
Am I a terrible person?
May 14, 2016 12:11 AM

Nov 2014
Well, if they already have the anime adaptation or soon will get ones, then i'll go with the anime obviously.. I only read the manga first if they don't have any anime adaptation
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

May 14, 2016 12:15 AM
Nov 2015
I will watch the anime and only read the manga for it if it picks up where the anime left off.
May 14, 2016 12:25 AM

Feb 2015
after i finished the anime, i start to read the manga
May 14, 2016 12:26 AM

Apr 2011
Usually, I watch the anime first. If I really like it, such as with Tanaka-kun (to use a recent example), I'll go ahead and read the manga as well.
May 14, 2016 12:55 AM

Dec 2015
Well, I rarely to read manga so I used to watch anime than reading manga.
May 14, 2016 1:06 AM

May 2016
I usually watch the anime first, if I'm really interested in said anime I will read the manga especially if it's ongoing.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
May 14, 2016 2:02 AM

Jul 2013
Always watch the anime first, since I'm too lazy to pick mangas and I prefer seeing an animated media with voices and sound. If I like the anime enough, then I bother to read the manga.
May 14, 2016 3:14 AM

Aug 2014
Always watched the anime first, to see whether the manga is worth reading. Though there are times where I hear the anime butchers the OS, so I just read the manga instead in those cases.
May 14, 2016 3:21 AM

Feb 2014
mostly i read the managa or watchn the anime only sometimes i read the manga's
May 14, 2016 4:19 AM

Dec 2012
The anime. I prefer my pictures to move and have color, sound effects, character voices, and music. If I read a manga I'm usually just slummin' it so I can finally see how it ends.

So far the only thing I've read without seeing an anime first is Black Bird because I got to pick out a few free books for working at a library book sale and ended up getting into the series. So far nobody's animated it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 14, 2016 4:23 AM
Jul 2018
I rarely watch and read the same stuff, but when I do, I first watch the anime, and then read.
May 14, 2016 4:27 AM

Jan 2016
There is only one series which I read the manga first. Tantei Gakuen Q. For other series, I watch the anime first.
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

May 14, 2016 6:23 AM

Dec 2012
I watch anime first more. There are only a few instances where I read the manga first. I normally don't read unless I'm really interested in it.
May 14, 2016 6:31 AM

Oct 2011
I watch the anime first. If I decided to read the manga afterwards, it'll be a fast read since I'm already familiar of what's to happen (given that the anime follows the manga quite well)
May 14, 2016 6:40 AM

Nov 2014
It depend on which one I found first, I don't really have a preference. But I always read the manga after I watch the anime, whereas I don't always watch the anime if I read the manga.
May 14, 2016 6:41 AM

Jul 2015
I don't read that much manga
So anime first
May 14, 2016 6:43 AM

Jul 2015
There's no rule. If it's good, I'll check if there's a manga/anime original or adaptation.
May 14, 2016 6:51 AM

Dec 2015
My opinion is Watch them. Mostly all comedy you can see is from tv shows and its far more exciting like High School DxD.

I dont read anymore because of Donald Duck. I read that over 10 years and now im done with reading.
May 14, 2016 3:15 PM

Feb 2016
I usually just watch the anime. Not much of a manga guy personally.
May 15, 2016 2:15 AM

Sep 2015
Almost always watch the anime first. Unless, of course, there isn't actually an adaptation. I made an exception and went straight into the Berserk manga without watching the anime version, but that's because it apparently only adapts one arc, and skips on a lot of important details too. I would just find myself confused at the events and characters missed out.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 15, 2016 5:17 AM

Apr 2015
I'll watch finish the show first.And if I really enjoy it and get interested in knowing more about the story,I'll read the story's manga if it was adapted from one.Although thats only if I believe or other sources guarantee that there will not be a continuation.
May 15, 2016 5:22 AM

Mar 2015
I usually watch the anime first and the manga where the anime left off. I don't really read mangas, bc I suck at reading them. I usually read romance mangas.
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
May 15, 2016 5:29 AM

Feb 2016
Varies. I'm still kinda new to manga, in some cases I might want to read the manga prior to watching the anime. Just so I can watch the anime and notice the differences, might have a lil laugh or two.

Some animes I'll also read the manga afterwards to see how the story continues since not all animes can come back (guranteed) with another season for me to see.

I just started Highschool of the Dead last night as a example, read the manga first... well, mostly. 29/30. I guess it's kinda a weird anime for a reference I guess but I just decided to read the manga first before starting the anime. Already noticed some slight differences from what I have seen. Such as new dialogue (Well, maybe I just don't recall?), removed scenes, filler. (I guess that's typical with all anime though... need to fill 24~ minutes after all.)

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
May 15, 2016 5:34 AM

Apr 2014
If i liked the anime i'll read the manga but i always start with watching then reading
May 15, 2016 5:45 AM

May 2008
I very rarely read the manga. I only do so if I'm extremely intrigued by the plot. I've done this maybe 3 times.

I prefer anime as a medium by far, so I'd much rather watch anime than read manga.
May 15, 2016 5:53 AM

Dec 2014
I usually watch the anime first and then pick up the manga from start. (Considering the series got an adaptation)

If there is no adaptation, it depends on whether I come across that certain manga or not.
May 15, 2016 9:39 AM

Jul 2008
I watch the anime first, then if I like the series I'll check out the manga
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

7 by IKKIsama »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
4 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
15 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.