Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 22, 2016 9:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode!

There's quite a bit of emotions. Really liked the family connections and realism of the show. The self narratives are still pretty interesting although there's not much rakugo this time. Still, an emotional episode.
Jan 22, 2016 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
Officially OP starts this ep. (except for the song airing as ED in ep.1)

The main guy having hard time saying louder. The girl (Komatsu-san?) hurt her finger from playing shamisen. He started to "go out" with her secretly for a short time and she had to go back home. War time and lots happened that forced him to pause learning Rakugo (not able to go along with the teacher). Even though he lived a life without Rakugo, it eventually came back. The two who went to the war returned few days after the war. The two became adult and left the teacher. The new introduced lady from the PV (Yukiji) appeared at the end.

It seems like the ED aired in ep.2 is the regular ED, except it reads "Kawa, Taredoki" (Kare wa Daretoki, "the time that hardly can see (or before sunset)"), not "Kaha". Included in OST2.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 22, 2016 1:26 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
That was quite an OP lol...Defintely the most unique one I've seen in quite a while and I kinda liked it xD

But man this episode was sooooooo gooooooood!!!!!! And the pacing sped up a bit too but it was still perfect and flowed so damn well even with the jumps in time

Shin-san (I'm just gonna call him that since it's easier to remember and suits him best imo) as usual continues to be my bread and butter of this series with his enthusiasm and just great personality but Kikuhiko's scenes with him are always #1

Seeing how they became even closer and how Shin-san is the reason why he fell in love with Rakugo and why he has this drive to get better regardless of his handicap is just beautiful and the scene when they made that pinky promise and then at the end when they reunited after the war was just heartwarming and I'm pretty sure I cried a little when they hugged lol

But man development wise Kikuhiko is getting even more likable because seeing his relationships first with that cute girl that he fell in love with and then the country girl leading up to how he ended things with them made me pretty sad and it was worse seeing how he felt as if he had no future in Rakugo and would never amount to anything special since his true family disappeared was pretty tragic

Overall this show continues to be neck and neck with ERASED for me and I'm just really looking forward to seeing what happens next with this new lady that appeared at the end and I WANNA SEE OUR BOYS GO TO THAT BROTHEL DAMMIT LOL (It sucks when these episodes end TwT)

I also really liked how we got more into the political side of Rakugo too during that time period so I hope to see more of that as well as some more possible romance bits with Shin and Kiku (Man he really deserves love imo)
TokoyaJan 22, 2016 1:49 PM
Jan 22, 2016 1:33 PM

Jan 2012
I can't deny this was/remains a riveting period piece, but I am beginning to wonder if the framing story in the "present" was even needed. If it would have been good enough to start our story with Yakumo's childhood I mean. Well I guess it'll depend on how much longer we're in the past. Really though, top notch story and emotion here. Reminded me of The Wind Rises considering the time frame in which this episode was set.
Jan 22, 2016 1:39 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
animefan8800 said:
I can't deny this was/remains a riveting period piece, but I am beginning to wonder if the framing story in the "present" was even needed. If it would have been good enough to start our story with Yakumo's childhood I mean. Well I guess it'll depend on how much longer we're in the past. Really though, top notch story and emotion here. Reminded me of The Wind Rises considering the time frame in which this episode was set.
I think that the series starting the way it did adds more depth to Kiku as a character because this way it makes it more personal seeing how he got from point A to point B as well as to show how different Rakugo was then to how it is in the future in a more comparative way, all the while laying the groundwork for Shin-san and other important persons in his life
Jan 22, 2016 1:41 PM

Aug 2010
Awesome ep. Loved seeing Bon developing from having an inferiority complex to an equal of Shin. And he dated quite a few cute girls there it seems :P

But the Bromance between Bon and Shin is definitely what takes the cake.

Dat Miyokichi at the end tho. Friggin HOT :L
Jan 22, 2016 1:46 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode! I'm really glad I decided to check this anime out.
Jan 22, 2016 1:55 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Love the OP. Even though the rakugo was less, it was still a great episode. Shin is awesome.

5/5
Jan 22, 2016 1:58 PM

Feb 2015
Character design is so good. Love the fact that the older women actually look mature. The storytelling was very nice. Less focus on performances this time around. This episode brought to attention the effects of war and censorship on rakugo which was interesting.
Jan 22, 2016 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
Bon was able to date a couple of cute girls.

Shin is a great guy as always!
Jan 22, 2016 2:30 PM

Jan 2012
Tokoya said:
animefan8800 said:
I think that the series starting the way it did adds more depth to Kiku as a character because this way it makes it more personal seeing how he got from point A to point B as well as to show how different Rakugo was then to how it is in the future in a more comparative way, all the while laying the groundwork for Shin-san and other important persons in his life

I'm not sure that couldn't still have been conveyed well enough going chronologically though.
Jan 22, 2016 2:46 PM

Dec 2014
Haven't felt feels in quite a while, and I normally don't feel them since in a lot of shows these moments feel forced *cough* shigatsu *cough*.

Great ep as usual. 5/5
I need sleep.
Jan 22, 2016 2:58 PM

Dec 2013
They packed a lot of storytelling into this ep and it scored big time. Art, photography, narration were all win. I've a feeling this series is going to be the runaway AOTS for me.
Jan 22, 2016 3:09 PM

Sep 2015
animefan8800 said:

In one respect, it's almost like he's performing a rakugo on his own life story.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 22, 2016 3:16 PM

Feb 2012
ItsMaz said:
animefan8800 said:

In one respect, it's almost like he's performing a rakugo on his own life story.

I never thought of it that way but now I know what you mean. I don't know I kind of like how they started from the present, it makes you wonder how things came to be in the present all through out.
Jan 22, 2016 3:25 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
So good! I almost shed a tear at the reunion scene.

Yakumo may not have been as good as Shin, but he sure has had a good fortune with women. Some hot Miyokichi even came to visit him now. :3

Jan 22, 2016 3:39 PM

Sep 2014
I'm so in love with the opening song.
After the war honestly I didn't expect those two to return, I'm so glad everything turned out well.
Jan 22, 2016 3:46 PM
Nov 2013
That's the sexiest opening song I've heard since Yuri Kuma Arashi, I love it.

Bon grew so much in one episode, I love the pacing of this series. I hate when flashbacks take up most of the screen time, but this is the exception.
Jan 22, 2016 3:47 PM

Oct 2012
If Ishida Akira wasn't one of my favourite seiyuu before, he would definitely be now.

I loved the art, animation and atmosphere of this anime so much. It was a joy to watch. And that op song was gorgeous.
Would love to see more about both Kikuhiko's past and the present Yotarou.
Jan 22, 2016 3:53 PM

Apr 2014
That opening was fantastic. I can't stop listening to it.

Anyways another great episode. Honestly I'm still shocked this is a deen show since the quality has been very consistent in these three episode. The dialogues feels natural and the interactions between the characters are so realistic. This needs to be longer than 24 minutes.

Sorry Erased but I think I found the AOTS for me.
Jan 22, 2016 4:03 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was much better than ep 2. Loved the interaction between yakumo and sukeroku. Besides, it was very unexpected see that yakumo was the first to appear with a girl. i was already loving them as a couple and the girl moved to the country =/
If continues like that will be the best anime of winter =D
Jan 22, 2016 4:51 PM

Dec 2010
Just wow. Maybe it's because I can relate to some aspects of Yakumo/Kiku's situation in my own way at the moment, but I cried like a baby for half of the episode. This is giving me too many feels, I really want to know more about young Yakumo.

By the way, I really love the ost. The traditional pieces fit actually very well with the other jazz-like songs.
Jan 22, 2016 5:20 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode. So many feels.

Jan 22, 2016 5:23 PM

Apr 2015
Really nice episode. OP is good. It was great to see Yakumo and Shin back in rakugo after the war, and Yakumo still has his passion for it as well.
Jan 22, 2016 5:33 PM

Aug 2015
Great episode. Better than the previous one.
Jan 22, 2016 6:00 PM

Nov 2014
The jazz opening theme was refreshing, and appropriate for this anime. Thank goodness they didn't try to shoehorn in the usual pop-rock.

So much happened in this episode. A romance, war, separation, and then a reunion. There were a lot of emotions, and the pacing, surprisingly, didn't feel rushed. The episode felt longer than 23 minutes, but it was never boring.

This was definitely my favorite episode so far. It was a good setup for the next chapter in this story.

5/5
Jan 22, 2016 6:07 PM

Sep 2014
Good episode. I was a little surprised that they both survived in Manchuria, I somewhat expected the master to die.

Hopefully the story eventually returns to the present, I found Yotaro and Konatsu to be a little more interesting than Shin and Bon. Still a fairly engrossing anime, definitely one of the better ones this season.
Jan 22, 2016 7:11 PM

Sep 2013
They're really stretching out this backstory. I wished they could've just compressed it to two episodes. It already consumed a fourth of the anime. Well its obvious that the girl in the ending will be the one who will destroy their friendship. She will most probably seduce them both and Shin-san will end up impregnating her.

Edit: I watched the PV and actually now I think this whole anime or half of it will be about the backstory. And it seems what I think will happen is Yakumo will start dating Miyokichi although he is not really in love with her, they had a fight or broke up, Shin-san is probably also in love with her so he took her in, they had sex even though Miyokichi still loves Yakumo and she gets pregnant.
AsianKungFuJan 22, 2016 7:24 PM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 22, 2016 7:19 PM

Aug 2009
Yeah pretty much this is confirmed AOTS unless Dimension W can get it's shit together or Erased actually has really good ending.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 22, 2016 7:52 PM

Oct 2014
The OP left me breathless. Amazing song and video.
Jan 22, 2016 8:09 PM
Dec 2013
Jazz OP song for a "Japanese classical entertainment" and doesn't feel out of line at all... I like...
Jan 22, 2016 9:06 PM

Jul 2015
Man, these episodes just keep getting better and better. Definitely enjoying this more than any other show this season.
Jan 22, 2016 10:18 PM

Aug 2012
basabeo said:
ItsMaz said:

I never thought of it that way but now I know what you mean. I don't know I kind of like how they started from the present, it makes you wonder how things came to be in the present all through out.
That's exactly what this episode made me feel. Especially with the dialogue about nobody wanting to be storytellers at the time and the concept of quality, classic storytelling being the focus of the show, the Rakugo aspect almost serves completely to have the audience appreciate the splendid storytelling of the show itself, a lost art as Rakugo is conveyed to be. Like said, it's like one extremely long and ambitious Rakugo in itself. That I feel is the true charm of the series. And because of it every piece of the story flows perfectly, evoking the exact amount and type of emotion it's meant to. Like when Shin and (the previous) Yakumo returned to Tokyo, it felt so real and came across so strong, you just don't see a story do that kind of thing and capitalize on it so well in one episode, and it's done this kind of thing in every episode so far. The series just continues to amaze every episode, what a treat it is to have two outstanding pieces of storytelling in the same season.
Jan 22, 2016 10:35 PM

Nov 2012
aw that reunion scene was beautiful. i liked this episode the most so far, really good stuff.
Jan 22, 2016 11:14 PM

Aug 2014
Xynic said:
They're really stretching out this backstory. I wished they could've just compressed it to two episodes. It already consumed a fourth of the anime. Well its obvious that the girl in the ending will be the one who will destroy their friendship. She will most probably seduce them both and Shin-san will end up impregnating her.

??? The first episode was double length, and only episodes 2 and 3 were backstory, so it only took up a seventh of the anime so far. But yeah, it'll probably go on for a few more episodes.

Why rush though? A relevant flashback isn't less important than the frame.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 22, 2016 11:48 PM

Nov 2011
Beautiful ep, cried at that reunion.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 23, 2016 12:08 AM

Apr 2013
Damn man, this episode was beautiful, this anime itself is beyond beautiful. Really liking these backstory episodes as well, and the reunion at the end was very heartwarming and sweet ~ So glad they got to reunite. The dialogue and narration is phenomenal.

The OP song was fantastic as well!
Rakugo definitely is the AOTS with Erased just a little behind.
Jan 23, 2016 12:13 AM

Jul 2015
That ending. What?
Jan 23, 2016 12:30 AM

Sep 2013
QuattroVaginas said:
Xynic said:

??? The first episode was double length, and only episodes 2 and 3 were backstory, so it only took up a seventh of the anime so far. But yeah, it'll probably go on for a few more episodes.

Why rush though? A relevant flashback isn't less important than the frame.
That's because I also included the next episode and I have a feeling there will be two or more backstory episode, or heck, maybe this anime is all about Yakumo and Shin-san.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jan 23, 2016 12:47 AM

Feb 2013
BEAUTIFUL. *IN AWE*
Jan 23, 2016 1:05 AM

Jan 2015
Unique OP.

What an heartwarming episode ;-;
Jan 23, 2016 1:14 AM

Jan 2014
Beautiful. I love everything about this anime so far ^-^
It reminds me of Kids on the Slope a bit. I guess it's because of the characters' design and the bromance and maybe the focus on a form of art :)
Jan 23, 2016 1:16 AM

Sep 2008
Every episode is a gift. I can't believe how in a few episodes i feel so attached to the characters already. Akira Ishida is truly unreal in this and that opening is everything i ever wanted in life.
Jan 23, 2016 2:16 AM

Aug 2013
Yakumo's narrations are fantastic as always; glad the story didn't dwell within the war period too long.

That little prance before the hug was golden, top quality bromance.

Finally get to see Miyokichi, but is Yakumo about to get cuckolded?

the OP is great!!!
Jan 23, 2016 2:23 AM

Dec 2014
great development is what I want to say. Rakugo seemed a bit boorish to me first now I am starting to feel the show essence
Jan 23, 2016 2:26 AM

Dec 2010
This anime for me is the surprise of the season. I was ready to drop it by the 1st episode, but it really picked up with the 2nd and 3rd especially the cliffhanger in this episode.

Very tight, fluid storyline. Bravo.
Jan 23, 2016 2:31 AM

Nov 2013
It's quite surprising that both (this show and Erased) anime that offer very interesting premise this season is open its story with a flashback.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 23, 2016 5:38 AM

Jun 2013
that Op is interesting and the story telling is amazing
Jan 23, 2016 6:14 AM

Sep 2014
Easily the best Anime this season. Great character interactions, characterisation and atmosphere. It's a pleasant watch for me. <3
Jan 23, 2016 7:30 AM
Jul 2013
Falling in love more and more with each episode.
The narrator's voice hits all the perfect tones/notes... and there is so much depth to the characters.... couldn't help but cry near the end.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.