Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2009 1:10 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ryuu comes through again and uses the famous cocktail Margarita to show that a life full of regrets can still have plenty of meaning and accomplishments. An episode that probably speaks more to the older fans in the audience.
Ideal anime wife?
Aug 16, 2009 6:04 PM

Jun 2009
hmmm, good and sad episode, my favorite so far. i had never heard that story of the meaning of margarita too, it was pretty interesting.
Sep 1, 2009 10:35 AM

Jul 2009
The series are really great, and I agree that this ep was the best...

My Dragons ^_^

: dead_dreaming
Oct 26, 2010 4:26 PM

Jul 2008
Very heartwarming.
Nov 30, 2010 12:31 PM

Jul 2010
I liked this episode a lot, it was nice, a bit sad and touching :) Nice to see how he learned to live with his decision in the end :)
Jun 7, 2011 12:14 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 14, 2011 5:04 AM

Oct 2010
The atmosphere in this episode was superb. This series is something else

Sep 24, 2011 3:09 PM
Jul 2011
Heartwarming episode. Loved it.
Oct 13, 2011 3:32 PM

Apr 2009
That was a wonderful episode.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 16, 2011 7:13 PM

Apr 2011
"My regrets have made me what I am..." Such a great line. You're never to old to learn, change, make peace with the past and move forward...
Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em. ~Webb Wilder
Feb 22, 2012 3:07 PM

Dec 2009
This episode was very touching. Too bad that the man was too afraid to face reality back then, but at the end it all became very meaningful.
May 19, 2012 12:26 PM

Aug 2008
Overall I really liked the story!

Though the way they bring in the girl from the first episode to explain and expand the story is very odd. She is a character and narrator.

I thought it was rather out of place that they animated the billboards coming to life like that. They could have just used street lights to illuminate his path.
Nov 29, 2012 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
Ah, it's been several months now, I can watch another episode. Hahaha, guess I'm definitely taking my time with this one. Still just as excellent. I did have to question the billboards coming to life too, that was a little strange. I'll overlook it as the episode also featured a guy seeing a ghost of his past. The ending was very sweet.
At this rate, I'm looking forward to episode four next May.
Mar 4, 2013 8:14 PM
Aug 2011
I didn't enjoy this one as much.
May 20, 2013 9:23 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, alright episode this time. A bit confusing.
Wonder if it will keep the same style all the way till episode 11.
Oct 1, 2013 10:42 PM

Nov 2011
Beautiful, just beautiful.
Jan 1, 2014 7:03 PM

Aug 2013
Not quite as good as the previous episodes imo, but it's still amazing :3

I get the feeling I would enjoy this episode more if I was older. Still, it was nice :)

4.75/5
Jun 6, 2014 8:06 AM

May 2012
What a nice episode! Really impressive how this anime develops and while focused around alcoholic beverages still manages to fit and make it totally awesome!
Jun 4, 2015 9:47 AM
Mar 2012
I liked it! It had a good story and I didn't fall asleep one bit!
Oct 14, 2015 11:03 AM
Oct 2013
i loved this ep,the story was moving,can someone help me find the ost's that are in it?
Nov 28, 2015 1:40 PM
May 2015
Another episode about a dude with a problem rooted in their past. Looks to be a trend for this show.

The Disney film UP did the "old guy mourning for lost love" angle better, because that film had them be married and have them enjoy their life together; they had a dream that they didn't fulfil, but that was because they were doing other stuff together and had no regrets. Here, it doesn't really work out because the old guy, Shimaoka, had no real reason to be separated from his love Mieko; he could have married her and still run the company and go on the theatre.

Anyway, he acknowledged that he and Mieko at least remembered each other and achieved success in their lives, and moved on from his loss on to something new. Which I guess was the point of the story. It told its story adequately and well.

I don't think the Margarita's story was like that, but then as Ryu said the story was only meant to connect with the customer.
Haneken2086Nov 28, 2015 2:32 PM
Jan 12, 2016 8:05 PM

Sep 2015
"My regrets have made me what I am..."- What an amazing line :´)
This show has been poetically beautiful so far.

9/10 Love these stories filled with emotions.
I find it very interesting how the creators executed this in a way that anyone could profoundly care for a new character every single episode (at least so far)...
Great anime :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2016 2:11 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Darselo said:
"My regrets have made me what I am..." Such a great line. You're never to old to learn, change, make peace with the past and move forward...

And the line before it as well, "a past of regrets isn't meaningless at all." These two lines resonate with all of us, and I like how regret isn't portrayed as something negative. I'm really surprised at how quickly this episode seemed to have gone by, by the time Shimaoka was about the leave the bar, it was at least 2/3 of the way through, yet it didn't feel that long. Again, I praise the show for creating such a nice tone to the episodes, that despite the content and flow being slow, it still ends up being engaging. The story behind Margarita was really interesting.

Haneken2086 said:

The Disney film UP did the "old guy mourning for lost love" angle better, because that film had them be married and have them enjoy their life together; they had a dream that they didn't fulfil, but that was because they were doing other stuff together and had no regrets. Here, it doesn't really work out because the old guy, Shimaoka, had no real reason to be separated from his love Mieko; he could have married her and still run the company and go on the theatre.

I think the two are quite different to be compared. There's also a lot of praise (whether by critics or layman) for the beginning segment of Up, so it's kind of unfair in a way to compare the two. As for Shimaoka separating from Mieko, what I took from it was that he was envious of Mieko's success that he couldn't deal with the fact that he wasn't as skilled or made for the theater as she was. I can see that being painful, both of them having the same dream and wanting to do it together, yet only one of them succeeding. It was likely that their dream would never come true, so he went for the path of reality, one that would lead him to success in life. They could have married, but it wouldn't be the same.
Apr 30, 2016 3:47 PM
May 2015
tingy said:

I think the two are quite different to be compared. There's also a lot of praise (whether by critics or layman) for the beginning segment of Up, so it's kind of unfair in a way to compare the two.

As for Shimaoka separating from Mieko, what I took from it was that he was envious of Mieko's success that he couldn't deal with the fact that he wasn't as skilled or made for the theater as she was. I can see that being painful, both of them having the same dream and wanting to do it together, yet only one of them succeeding. It was likely that their dream would never come true, so he went for the path of reality, one that would lead him to success in life. They could have married, but it wouldn't be the same.

I wouldn't say he was jealous of her, but maybe he just accepted that he couldn't be as engaged in the theatre as she was, since he had other responsibilities and duties to handle. And it tore a hole in him and left him with regret.

But the message still stands: do not regret your past because there is still a future; she kept sending him a ticket not to remind him of the loss, but to encourage him to give life (and the theatre) another try.
Jan 25, 2017 1:50 PM

Feb 2013
What a lame man, he didn't go to see her acting.
Mar 9, 2017 9:34 AM

May 2013
Awwhhh, the Margarita story was so romantic :') and it's one of my fave drinks, too! ^-^
Mar 22, 2018 6:49 PM

Sep 2013
UUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 17, 2018 4:29 AM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
Still a bit of a drag but very much the best out of the three so far. I think this is a good resonating episode for older individuals. Reconciling before it's too late is something so many of us don't do and being miserable for it cause heart ache.

Not gonna lie, kinda made me want a Margarita after this, despite me despising vodka.
Apr 16, 2019 8:55 PM

Mar 2018
I liked this episode much more than the previous two. The story was very sad, but relatable. We, humans, are very foolish and proud creatures. We always think that we still have time until it's too late, and then we live in misery & regret. I'm glad that he made peace with his choices eventually, though.
Jun 4, 2019 8:12 AM

Feb 2019
Beautiful episode! Very heart warming! I'm hooked in the OP and ending
Jun 28, 2019 12:56 PM
Jan 2017
so far this is a very elegant and fancy anime I think Im gonna finish it through
Sep 10, 2019 1:00 PM

Sep 2018
I like this episode a bit more than the last, still not outstanding to me, but at least it had a nice story and I didn't feel like I was watching a commercial for a brand like last episode.
Nov 5, 2019 12:35 PM

Apr 2017
Wow, this episode had actual animation for once, color me impressed XD The dramatization of the girlfriend getting shot was corny as hell, but overall this episode - oddly enough - reminded me of a play, especially with the man getting out of the cab, leaving the book behind only for it to be picked up by the girl, who continues the monologue/story. It's an interesting storytelling device, but I do wish the show made more use of silence, music and movement, instead of constantly dumping exposition.

But really, ignoring the tickets for 50 years and realizing that maybe he should've gone see her/the play only after she's dead? That's some soap opera level drama right there.
Jul 16, 2020 1:04 PM

Jul 2008
Another episode with a story of regret. Do all the previous characters from the last episodes guest star in the next ones?
Nov 15, 2020 2:05 AM

Dec 2013
So touching. And the soundtrack is so amazing! Idk if it's just me but I like the episodes so far.

โ˜…โ”โ”โ”€
๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต?
๐˜ž๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ?

Mar 15, 2021 11:26 PM

Oct 2017
I was momentarily impressed that the advertiser called out the bartender's Origin of the Margarita tale as the bullshit it is. But then the episode doubled down on it...
Apr 3, 2021 7:55 PM
Oct 2020
Dang.. This Episode truly shows there Isn´t an anime for kids
May 31, 2021 3:37 PM

Jan 2021
So heartwarming,
I love this series more and more.
Aug 1, 2021 11:37 PM

Jul 2015
Another great episode on making peace with the past and moving forward. Not going to the play for 20 years and suddenly hearing that she died must be sad but at least they lived their own lives.

Oct 7, 2021 4:31 PM

Jul 2019
3rd episode, also watched at anime society.

p good episode I must say. I like how the man's regrets got the most of him, so he didn't really go and do stuff that would have otherwise made his life happier, thus the current state.

The whole using Margarita as a means to show love lives on is quite a clever fit honestly, dude knows how to serve his customer with exactly the right stuff.
Mar 28, 2022 5:47 PM

Jul 2021
This episode is quite sentimental and the story is quite tolerable on this one but it's hard for me to get attach to it.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 8, 2022 11:55 AM
Nov 2018
We are but bystanders to the stories of our peers, drinking our woes away on a wonderful evening.
Apr 9, 4:08 AM

Jul 2023
Another great episode.

regarding the origin story of Margarita; that story by John Durlesser is just one of them. It just so happens to fit the situation of the chap for today's episode.

Anyway, if this anime did not have a remake and no one talked about it, it would be regrettable if I did not watch it.

This anime is good, even though it's boring for some.

Except yesterday, I'll go an episode per night. This should not be binged.
Apr 24, 2:40 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
What a sad backstory for the Margarita... stage play, love and regrets... that's a genuine combination

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bartender Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

59 by Ashhk »»
Apr 26, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Bartender Episode 10 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

36 by Ashhk »»
Apr 26, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Bartender Episode 9 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

33 by Ashhk »»
Apr 26, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Bartender Episode 8 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

32 by Ashhk »»
Apr 26, 2:48 AM

» Live action/anime

Tristax - Nov 17, 2014

2 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 26, 12:42 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.