Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 16, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2013
I almost shed a tear :')

For one of the few time, most of what I said in my last post concretized! xD

Camera-kun - ok, I'll call him by his real name since I think that he was awesome in that episode :P - Kyosuke said exactly what I thought about the whole situation. Everything was pretty much Hiro fault (I don't mean that the two girls had nothing to), if he would gave taken responsability (such a cliche term...) and confronted the two girls instead of just playing with them, everything could have been avoided. At least, that's what he did in the end and I'm glad he did.

The scene with Kei while Hiro was at the door was really touching. It's like the two of them after all this agreed to make a start. Kei seemed to accept Hiro feeling being more as a brother than romantic one. I don't think that Miyako and her will all friendly though xD

That phone call was fucking intense. Oh my god, I was almost sweating. That countdown, it was just so perfectly done. You could feel the beat increasing and you knew that there was going to be a dramatic fall. But yeah, I was also pretty sure that it wouldn't just end like that :P

Next episode look very interresting as we can hear Chihiro say ''Engrave in me memories that will never disappear''. That look really promising :D
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 18, 2014 2:08 PM
Jan 2013
Miyako is... somehow irritating with her possessiveness, Kei might be no better, but still is less dramatic. Although it seems all set, something might still happen the last episode *since the next if obviously Chichiro x Renji
Feb 24, 2014 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
Miyako you little tramp you stole him away from kei and knew she loved him and the only reason you wanted him was because mommy and daddy wasn't giving you any love and you thought il have the next guy I see,

I know alot of you liked how this anime ended but I absolutely hated how it ended I wish that man stealer died, to me she's a little spoiled child that wants it her way and would steal it away from someone else's happiness, I wish kei put up more of a fight and the only reason that bitch one was because * mommy and daddy wasn't giving her any love and was alone* hell she sounded desperate on her phone to him with all those messages,

Poor kei..................And again it's the childhood friend that gets the short end of the stick. And this anime is the absolute worst for bumping the childhood friend to a girl who he meet for only for a short while, and leave the girl he has known for nearly all his life,

To me this is the worst
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Feb 24, 2014 5:58 PM

Jul 2012
Vampyra-san said:
Ahhh, no... Not Miyako T_T
Blah

I know it's sickening

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Feb 24, 2014 6:05 PM

Jul 2012
CrimsonLight said:
She's like telling her whole story about sad family and sh*t just so that he feels bad for her. Well okay, it seemed to have an effect on Hirono.

I know she's playing the pity me card and for get about the girl you grew up with who loves you

im a shiki supporter

Jun 12, 2014 8:46 AM

Oct 2013
Hiro just dug himself into a fucking crater !!!
I wonder how this is going to play out >.>
[/quote]
Jun 25, 2014 7:16 PM

Jun 2013
Hiro grew up and did the right thing. Great job :)
Jul 1, 2014 1:03 AM

Jun 2012
DeathfireD said:

Ya, I was originally confused and then at the end of the ep I re-watched that part and it all made sense. In a nutshell, kei and Hiro both had the same feelings for each other but Kei was to scared to tell him and Hiro was to indecisive to make a choice between his Manga and a relationship. Then Miyako popped into the relationship causing him to be even more indecisive about who he really likes. So then So the part where Hiro shows up at her door and tells her his plans for the future (ie. quite school and do full time manga) shows that he is no longer going to do things half heartedly. Then the last scene where Kei is talking about how she just wants to go back to the way things use to be is referring to them being the happy caring brother and sister that they where back when he was like 7. The last part where shes confessing to him through the door and he's saying is Ya, ya, ya and she opens and sees him crying is when she realizes that he had the same feelings but it was hard for him to make a choice until now. Now that he has already made the choice of Miyako he feels its only right to give her a clear answer as to how he truly feels for her. At the last conversation she says "Its going to be hard, but I'll try really hard to get past it." This means shes going to try and stay as just a sister to him and forget about him as a possible lover.

Thanks, you made it very clear for me to understand. :)

Those payphones be trolling, haha. Well I'm glad he finally started doing things whole-heartedly.

Oct 26, 2014 11:59 PM

Oct 2013
why did he go back to both of them omg kei ftw
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 23, 2015 8:17 PM

Apr 2014
Hirono-kun is a fucking bitch, LOL
chick-magnet
May 25, 2015 2:22 AM

Aug 2009
i guess that concludes the kei/miyako/hiro arc eh?

hope kyousuke can win kei over, he was da man in this ep

halfway thru i was like what is this bullshit... then hiro starts manning up and im like hell yeah

they certainly saved a lot of animation budget with the phone talk lol

Jun 10, 2015 7:45 PM

Jun 2012
That phone scene was terrible.
Sep 6, 2015 11:37 AM
Sep 2009
Animefreak17a said:
CrimsonLight said:
She's like telling her whole story about sad family and sh*t just so that he feels bad for her. Well okay, it seemed to have an effect on Hirono.

I know she's playing the pity me card and for get about the girl you grew up with who loves you

And that girl happens to be a prick who caused her sister's accident and did tons of other nasty, selfish stuff.

Sorry, but I'll take pity card over self centred bitch any time. At least Miyako was ready to let go, Kei just took and destroyed everything on her way for no reason. Miyako at least had reasons for being slightly possessive. Kei has none.

And it is Kei's fault that things never progressed to begin with. Only a retard will call a guy they fancy a brother. She got what she deserved.

Sadly I liked non of the two but Kei totally is my least favorite in whole series.
Sep 29, 2015 3:43 AM

Jan 2014
Aww, now I like Miya too :)

Yeah, visual novels have the best romance stories.
Shoujo romances are the worst and only stupid girls like them :)
Oct 8, 2015 11:54 PM

Nov 2011
I've come back with a newfound appreciation for Chihiro. After writing what I wrote in the spoiler, I ended up taking a break from this anime for weeks (bad idea). While I remember what happened, I've lost a good bit of the emotional attachment and train of thought I had going before (it's actually kind of amazing that as much of it lasted as did)-- and I'm re-reading my own posts to regain as much as possible. Truly, though it's a lesson learned, in the context of this story it made for good meta amusement.

Anyway, at this point I think I can go ahead and predict that the theme for this story will be, quite simply, "love prevails". Throughout the whole show we've seen characters with strengths and flaws interact with each other, fill voids, and cause one another to grow, and this culmination of Hiro's arc is no exception. Where Renji is learning to love, Miyako is learning to trust-- and they each play an important part in helping their partner realize their dream.

I find it both interesting and fitting that the story elected to have Hiro decidedly not choose between Miyako and Kei, because love isn't about competition, and Hiro truly loves both of them (just in different ways). That love is able to overlook wrongs and heal wounds, so much so that although we could say Hiro was fortunate to meet Kei and Miyako, now I think it might be more fitting to say that they are fortunate to have met him. By opening himself up to loving others without reservation, Hiro has found his color and Kei and Miyako are able to find their peace.

I really, really, really want an explanation for the woman appearing to everyone and her apparent connection to Himura. I hope it will be addressed in one of the last two episodes.

In any case, I'm quite curious what path the ending will take.

On a (Very) Personal Note
TripleSRankOct 28, 2015 11:41 PM
Oct 24, 2015 6:11 AM

Jul 2009
Finally he made his choice! I am happy for Hiro and Miyako!
Oct 29, 2015 8:36 AM

Sep 2015
WOW, this episode was a true masterpiece... The art was superb as usual and that phone scene with the countdown was great!!
Nov 2, 2015 10:21 AM

Feb 2015
That was so artistically done. Hirono is the first decent character in a drama/romance anime i've ever seen (not that i watch drama/romance much but anyway). I hope other story will be as great as this is.
Nov 12, 2015 9:16 AM

May 2015
Amazing episode. Great conclusion; I actually laughed when the time ran out and he got cut off right before he could say that he loved her. I was relieved and surprised that he reached her in time. Though I don't know why a grave yard would have a pay phone, lol.
I'm glad Hiro and Kei were able to patch things up. It's obvious Kyosuke cares for Kei, though I wonder if he's realized it yet. I'm curious as to whether or not we'll see more of their story. This episode was dedicated entirely to Kei, Hiro and Miyako, so I'm guessing the entire next episode will focus on Renji and Chihiro. Looking forward to it. This anime is amazing, and I'm so glad I picked it up.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 9, 2015 2:49 PM

Oct 2013
Good conclusion , original in her poetic touch.
Dec 23, 2015 10:25 AM
Nov 2014
The phone scene felt so goddamn forced.
Jun 3, 2016 12:40 AM

Sep 2014
That pay phone. Thank you Shaft for being annoying as fuck.
Jun 24, 2016 6:44 PM
Aug 2014
Kyousuke finnaly did something useful when punching sense into Hiro
However that didnt save my ship from sinking -.- Stupid Hiro
The phone call was cute anyway
Aug 16, 2016 6:28 AM

Mar 2015
10/10 Amazing I crieded at the phonecall
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Aug 19, 2016 7:42 AM

Jan 2008
My only question would be why is there a phonebox in a graveyard...?
Nov 4, 2016 4:34 PM

Mar 2015
I loved this anime so far, but those manipulative bitches are honestly too much. I wish Hirono just dropped both of them, neither deserves his feelings and efforts, people like that are just toxic and can provide nothing of worth to anyone. I guess this is just too personal, the shit that Kei and Miyako pulled here would piss me off too much. Like, pay for the bloody window, you brat. You have no fucking right to control my relationships.

And that Kyosuke, who does he think he is, telling Hirono what to do? Get fucked, mate. Now I don't know whether to rate this series as 1 or 10, because, honestly, it has moments that deserve either.
Nov 12, 2016 8:30 PM

Mar 2015
It was okay. Im confused that did Hiro confessed both girls? Which means he is two-timer? Huwhat?
By the way, Miyako has huge boobs :3 For me, I will choose Miyako not because of her chest.

3.3/5
Apr 15, 2017 5:34 AM
Nov 2015
yeah weak and indecisive man is fukking annoying.
At least we got Kyousuke
Apr 15, 2017 6:00 AM
Nov 2015
see, let every damn thing out is the best way.
ehem, great way to save budget. But that phonebooth scene is magnificent in many other areas.
I'm really leery of melodrama, but have to confess it is one of the best melodrama. The writing is great, directing is great, everything the characters do is cute and great. Talking with each person on different side of the door. Talking through telephone, on a graveyard no less (symbolic? a place for death but actually rebirth for Miyako?)
Kyousuke being man as always, I would fault every other character for being adolescence and annoying, but back when I was teen, I was annoying as fuk too.
No Renji. Good. Next episode, all about him. Bad.
May 24, 2017 2:05 AM

Aug 2016
THAT CLOCK TICKING!!!!
love confession has never been as intense as this one.....

Nov 6, 2017 5:48 AM

Jul 2008
About time he made a choice...however those two put Hirono almost in a no win situation. Both of them were being stupid.

But the better girl won.
Aug 11, 2018 1:26 AM

Jan 2016
The phone conversation countdown was just great. It's the best 100 second in my life.
Sep 7, 2018 11:17 AM

Feb 2018
The phone scene would have been amazing if it wasn't too damn long, it was two times longer than it should have been, so it became extremely annoying.

All in all, an amazing episode, this show deserves a psychological tag.
Feb 5, 2019 5:32 AM

Aug 2018
I don't really like, how there is a lot about "running" and stuff like that.. I don't like how Yuuko Amamiya acts like a "conscience" or something.. In the end, I don't like that these things drive heroes into action.. Yes, there are other things, but I strongly dislike, when story "assumes" the only correct path, and stuff like that..
I liked the part with "choosing" dialogue, though.. Though, it is also not "right" in that it "must" be a choice.. It just for some reason "must" be some kind of choice, doing different things is not in the nature of human, or something, all of a sudden?..
I have a lot of points I disagree with this anime, like I mention above.. But some characters traits are still interesting, so maybe it'll be an average one for me, or something.. Still, a couple of episodes left.. But right now leaning to that it has some interesting story and characters, but some execution and thought processes are alien to me, or I don't agree with.. Well I'll see, what we have next..
Mar 17, 2019 10:38 AM

May 2016
So its set hope nothing strange happens like a car accident or some sort of thing.
Sep 29, 2019 4:10 PM

Feb 2014
I just gonna leave this here for prosperity
Mar 28, 2020 3:30 AM

Aug 2017
Hirono finally manning up and taking responsibility for best girl Miyako. Nice hot and sexy Miyako fanservice in this episode.
Jul 21, 2020 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, I felt this episode was just a little cheesy, as it got to the big dramatic moments. There's no justification for best friend-kun beating Hirono; because Hirono didn't know Kei was in love with him. The drama could've been resolved more easily if the characters just sat down and...talked: Hirono could've easily just told Kei, "You're a great friend, I care about you, but I am in love with Miyako."

I don't like how the show seems supportive of Miyako's toxic mental state of mind: she is not mentally stable. Her fear of abandonment is on an abnormal level. She needs to see a therapist, and learn that a lover is not necessary to not feel alone...but then again, she has no love from her parents.
It would've been more mature if Hirono told her, "You know, maybe in the future, we may divorce or something, but that's life." Almost 50% of marriages end in divorce, so yeah. I understand these characters are teenagers, so naturally they handle their emotions more immaturely, but I felt like that could've been part of their development: maturing.

Detective1412 said:
The phone conversation countdown was just great. It's the best 100 second in my life.

I agree. The phone countdown was pretty awesome.
Dec 21, 2020 11:46 AM

Feb 2020
Mm... I didn't like this episode as much as the others. I largely prefer Chihiro and Renji's arc over Hirono, Kei and Miyako's, so it partially explains it, but I had issues with this ep regardless of that.
First, I didn't like how Hirono was treated as if he was the one in the wrong. He wasn't. He didn't know that Kei was in love with him, he couldn't even have guessed since for him them being like brother and sister is a fact that doesn't need to be questioned. Kei never told him how she felt, and for Hirono, if she saw him as a brother then of course it didn't seem like there was any issue if he had a girlfriend. So his "friend" treating him like that is completely absurd, and it really made me dislike him.
And another issue I have is about Miyako. She is seriously messed up. She has such strong abandonment issues, she is seeking for someone to cherish her, no matter who that is, and she is gonna have a breakdown if her partner ever stops looking at her. I am not saying that her feelings for Hirono aren't sincere, I am not saying that she doesn't deserve a chance to have a better life, I am just saying that, as someone mentionned above, she needs to see a therapist. But she won't do that, because she isn't even self-aware, she isn't aware of how deep her trauma is, and Hirono doesn't make her be aware of that. Once again I don't blame him, he is just trying to help her in his own ways, but that's one of the issues : he is clearly not ready to share such a relationship with someone like Miyako. He clearly doesn't know how to handle her, how to deal with her, he tries but she is such a fragile and emotionally intense person, I don't see how it can work. Plus, I really have a hard time seeing their relationship as actual love. They do care about each others, but in the end it's just Miyako getting attached to the first person she sees and Hirono trying to help her because he is a good guy (not to mention Miyako totally manipulated him, even if she doesn't entirely realize that). That's another issue, while I can safely say that Hirono is a good person, I cannot say the same about Miyako. She lives so much through her abandonment issues, it is very hard to know who she is outside of that.
So yeah, I don't know how can this relationship be an healthy one. There are so many things wrong.
And it's "funny", because at first I was on Miyako's side, but now I'm on Kei's. Because yes she made some mistakes, yes she said and did some hurtful things, yes she is flawed... But she is flawed just like a lost teen like her can be. She is aware of her mistakes, she is aware of her issues, and I'm sure she isn't a bad person at heart, she can totally evolve, she has all the time for it, and I'm proud of her for already trying.
Sep 4, 2022 2:10 PM

May 2018
Moral of the story: always quit school :D
Sep 17, 2022 8:04 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode and great resolution for both girls.
Unlucky for Kei but it was both being indecisive for so long that led to this.
Honestly, with the way Kei reacted after finding out about Miyako I can't really say I disagree with Hiro ending up with Miyako.

But again, fantastic directing and really surprised how good the drama has been.
Nov 14, 2022 5:55 PM

Aug 2011
the flashing of the countdown gave me a headache
Nov 21, 2022 5:57 PM

Jul 2022
Miyako's scenes with the phone are too good lptm, the Seiyuu does a spectacular job and the fact that they don't focus on the protagonists and only show the counter is a beauty scene.
Dec 3, 2022 2:35 AM

Oct 2021
That phone countdown scene was awesome also miyako got some massive honkers, hiro won
Jan 30, 2023 9:58 PM

Jan 2010
ef's story can be incredibly melodramatic, and its characters can come across as frustratingly indecisive. However, its stellar visuals and dynamic approach to presenting its scenarios sets ef apart from other dramatic romance shows. I didn't think the episode would feature the entire countdown of Miyako's call, but that took a lot of guts. Realistically, it was a still frame of Miyako against the sunset in that phonebooth and the continuous flashing of the call timer. In terms of art and animation, the whole sequence was long and static. However, between the escalating voice acting, the time beeping getting overpowered by the rising background music, and Miyako's subsequent monochromatic collapse upon the end of the call getting flooded with color once Hiro charged into the scene made the whole scene work. I'm really impressed. That was actually amazing for how minimalistic it was.
May 5, 2023 9:42 AM

Jul 2016
The timing of Hiro's arrival moments after the call got cut was satisfying if not really dramatic lol

Can't feel too sorry for Kei but it's sad how late she realized her feelings, especially with her having the childhood friend advantage.
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM
Dec 2022
i hate this fucking anime
lets all love lain.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

279 by mattchoo »»
Feb 3, 4:46 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

185 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.