Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 30, 2009 8:15 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So... Will Amuro and Char fight on every episode?

Still, to think SEED ripped off the original series this far... *shakes head*
My score on it (SEED) will certainly drop after watching this.
Mar 2, 2010 9:30 PM

May 2007
Man poor Crown, he does the same exact thing as Amuro, and Amuro lives.

Still Char's plans are so multi-layered.
My anime list
Mar 13, 2010 8:20 PM

Jul 2007
So the commander just died. Now char has another plan in mind. This series just keeps getting better. I haven't watched any of the newer gundum series lol. So i wouldn't know what they entail. But im starting with the older series and then eventually will work my way up to the new gundum shows.

Mar 16, 2010 9:49 AM

Apr 2009
Team White Base is a beast.
I wonder how Garma Zabi will handle this.
Jul 27, 2010 3:17 PM

May 2008
link9us said:
I haven't watched any of the newer gundum series lol. So i wouldn't know what they entail. But im starting with the older series and then eventually will work my way up to the new gundum shows.
Yeah, I'm doing the exact same thing~
Indeed this show is getting better and better~
I'm glad that Char is the kind of villain who actually cares for his men. Poor Crown...
Oct 1, 2010 9:15 AM

Aug 2009
Char is one of the most likeable Villains.. I hope he doesn't get too drunk on power.
Dec 7, 2010 11:53 PM

Sep 2009
I like how Char cares so much about his subordinates.
You don't see that much, even in newer series.
Feb 23, 2011 12:15 PM

Sep 2008
Char is pretty cool, but I'm liking Amuro more at the moment. Char's costumes a bit cheesy though. But I can see how cool it must have seemed back in the 80s.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 12, 2011 9:25 AM

Apr 2011
Char is like... Treize Kushrenada without the crazy. I can't believe it took me so long to watch the original Gundam and now that I've started, I can't put it down!!
Oct 15, 2011 4:27 AM

Jul 2008
i tely wander why i didn't se these long time ago
it is rely good
anf for anime older thin 30 years the art age will
there lots of secen that great even for today HD standers

by the way did i the only one hear explosion in the spiace *face palm*

there no sound in spiace

and gundam need oil it make lots of sounds , amaro take care of these thing .
Nov 25, 2011 10:53 AM
May 2011
Hmm I'm having a decent time watching this, but I can't seem to care for any of the characters too much at this point. I'll probably grow into it though.
Mar 6, 2012 10:12 AM

Oct 2009
Nice ep ^^ I hope we get some Char backstory soon.
Aug 14, 2012 6:22 AM

Apr 2010
I'm starting to enjoy the rivalry between Char and Amuro.
Dec 21, 2012 5:55 PM

Jun 2009
It's impossible for me to consider Char a "villain" at this point...and if he is supposed to be he's doing a terrible job. 'Cause he's incredibly likable so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 16, 2013 3:03 PM

Feb 2012
Arcanus said:
So... Will Amuro and Char fight on every episode?

It's pretty awesome isn't it? I'm quite surprised that they have fought every episode since 2. I like how "hands-on" Char is, he actually gets properly involved in fights as well as having a hand in the planning process. How can anyone hate this guy?

Enjoying this show far more than I thought I would! I like how it actively shows both sides of the war!
Jul 2, 2013 6:04 PM

Sep 2008
Char is good planner. He does not think that his every operation will go as planned, so he has backup plans like diverting White Base to Zeon territory. I wonder when we are going to get more information about this war and Zeon? This has been pretty action packed.
Feb 20, 2014 1:42 PM

Aug 2010
insan3Spectre said:
It's impossible for me to consider Char a "villain" at this point...and if he is supposed to be he's doing a terrible job. 'Cause he's incredibly likable so far.

This. I don't see him as a villain at all.

I'm interested in learning more about the characters, especially Char.

I'm a huge Gundam fan and surprised it took me so long to pick this one up. Really liking it so far.
Feb 23, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2013
That was very cool. Amuro and the Gundam make an excellent team and I just know the White Base crew will also get better and better. Tha Zabi guy is gonna be trouble though.
May 27, 2014 8:25 PM

Jul 2009
Amazing episode :)

The fights are getting intense!! Amuro is starting to improve drastically while Char is getting frustrated of losing on each battle.

Still he's such a cunning strategist, even if he lost the battle if they can force them to land on Zeon territory they could have another shot at fighting them and may finally defeat them once and for all.

It's also surprising to see how Char is already worried that he lost 8 zaku's while the newer Gundams they can destroy more than 8 in just on battle O__O

Love the sense of realism here!

Lol Gundam looks like it was flying like a superman!

Can't wait for more episodes!!!
Jul 31, 2014 4:32 PM

Apr 2013
Now they'll have to fight on Earth. Too bad that they've landed in the wrong place :(
Jan 5, 2015 4:06 PM

Feb 2013
I think I figured out what's missing: There is no music during the battles or the descent.
It's a bit underwhelming without epic music to set the stage.

Another problem is the lack of explanation on how things work. I know how they appear to have "gravity" in some scenes, but it was never explained. (having seen other gundam series)

Arcanus said:
Yea, I'm surprised by that too. But I think SEED did a much better job.
BurntJellyJan 5, 2015 4:10 PM
Mar 2, 2015 7:16 PM

Nov 2011
^They said it was a centrifugal-force gravity system back at Luna II. That would imply the inside of the ships are spinning somehow, though, which doesn't make a lot of sense given its design. If we assume that that was unique to Luna II and not the ships, then all I can figure is their shoes grip the ground... somehow...

Anyway, I too like Char's planning abilities. I think it's becoming pretty clear why he's so well known now. He could have destroyed any normal fleet multiple times over, and if he hadn't been pursing the White Base, he could have destroyed Luna II with what is described as a light capital craft. Even if Zeon does somehow end up being the "bad guys", I can't help but have respect for Char's capabilities.

Amuro keeps getting his butt saved by Gundam's tech. If Char had White Base and Gundam, he would be nearly unstoppable.

A battle back in gravity sounds interesting.
Apr 6, 2015 11:35 PM

Apr 2013
One of my favorite "funny" moments in this series is when Amuro is fixing that kid's toy and the kid's grandfather explains that he was born in South America and that his family was in the coffee business. To further illustrate this fact, the man then reaches into his pocket and pulls out some coffee beans. The dude was walking around with loose coffee beans in his pockets so that he could use them to tell his backstory. At least, that's the narrative reason, but I like to think that that's just his thing. Like, no matter where he is or what he's doing, he just carries around loose coffee beans.
Sep 13, 2015 10:20 AM

Jun 2009
Ohh...that makes more sense. Zeon has territory on Earth. I though Earth was completely controlled by the Federation.

BurntJelly said:
I think I figured out what's missing: There is no music during the battles or the descent.
It's a bit underwhelming without epic music to set the stage.

Another problem is the lack of explanation on how things work. I know how they appear to have "gravity" in some scenes, but it was never explained. (having seen other gundam series)

Arcanus said:
Yea, I'm surprised by that too. But I think SEED did a much better job.

Music during battle scenes is almost always unnecessary and is mostly a hallmark of hack/lazy directors appealing to vapid morons who need to have some sort of sensory overload to get any enjoyment out of media. Also, show, don't tell. But I suppose it's no surprise that an anime fan would want unnecessary exposition when so many anime are riddled with it.
loghneckbeardSep 13, 2015 10:27 AM
Nov 2, 2015 10:45 PM

Nov 2012
Alright this was fucking funny.
http://prntscr.com/8yg3qr
One second prior I was think "Wow Crown death by atmosphere entry that's brutal,how horrifyingly painful"...and Amuro is fucking here in the same scenario reading the manual like wtf I can't even xD

Char is quite likable,it's hard to see him as a villain while watching this.

Char one step ahead and getting them into Zeon territory you know kinda thought Earth Federation would you know...have complete control over Earth
Dec 13, 2015 7:36 AM

Nov 2011
Here also is found a big similarity with SEED, you see that they took both hands from the time series, but here we are less frills and more pragmatic in reporting events, the same Amuro appears to be very concerned about the events, so much so reading the manual as if nothing had happened and solve the problem, without whining, wow! Not bad Red Comet will notice the bossy.
May 18, 2016 4:06 AM

Jul 2008
This is why Char was the best foil, too damn smart.
Jul 8, 2016 8:56 AM

May 2012
Solid development so far, I really love where this is going! Let's see what's next.
Jul 27, 2016 9:42 PM
Jul 2015
Ooh, Char drove them straight into Zeon territory.

It seems next episode will be centered around an Earth-based commander attacking the ship, instead of Char's forces.

Death to Zeon!
Aug 25, 2016 10:19 PM

Feb 2012
Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
3 Zakus this episode (forcing one to burn in reentry counts)
8 kills total.
Apr 5, 2017 2:51 PM

May 2015
What I think this anime handles exceptionally well is that you get to see the insights of both of the factions constantly. While the majority of the spotlight is obviously reserved for the Federation, it's awesome to see the Zeon pilots; their faces, their names, their reactions, how they're afraid of the enemy and whatnot. It really makes you feel something for them, to an extent.
Jul 25, 2017 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
From what I understand this was the first "serious" anime to come out in Japan and this episode really personified that. You'd think after being so jaded that I'd find the death scenes of the Zeon soldiers not so impactful, but they were. Hearing everything go quite and one of the soldiers yell out for Char for help was very well done. I could feel how isolating it is to be out in space and totally helpless. I can see why the show did not gain popularity at first as I bet pundits were thinking "What the hell am I watching?"

Enjoyed the battles a ton and Char rocks.
Aug 7, 2017 4:11 PM
Jul 2017
Did Amuro just put on a condom for reentry?

Char does seem the pragmatist, and overall likeable guy.
Feb 12, 2018 11:01 AM

Jan 2018
I am so close of puting this series in the dropped list of mine. I didn't seen anything interesting so far and the characters are prety unremarkable and not something special at all. Maybe only one ep and im out.I give it 5/10 so far.
Feb 12, 2018 12:54 PM

Dec 2015
@Edrenalin Sorry to break your "hopes" but if you were writing about the Hite Base crew, they're rather simple/normal people. Apart from Amuro who gradually becomes a child soldier for the benefit of others and maybe Bright (who's still normal for a young officer forced to command). Hell, they're almost all civils !

@CodeBlazeFate Care to help me?
Feb 12, 2018 1:03 PM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
@Edrenalin Sorry to break your "hopes" but if you were writing about the Hite Base crew, they're rather simple/normal people. Apart from Amuro who gradually becomes a child soldier for the benefit of others and maybe Bright (who's still normal for a young officer forced to command). Hell, they're almost all civils !

If they don't help him, only Char can...
Feb 12, 2018 2:24 PM

Jan 2018
Rei366 said:

Dont get me wrong ,i am not against simple/normal type of characters at all. Actually i realy like the seting of the story and the way it's going .It's just that i don't feel like its presented very well. There are a lot of repeatedly moments and the general presentation of the emotions of the "heroes" is not shown in a very good way. I am not attaching to anybody and i don't feel the emotions from a certent person ,maybe becuse theare is none presented, at least well.
Mar 12, 2018 3:42 PM

Nov 2016
This episode had the best action so far imo and Char is pretty awesome.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 19, 2018 4:46 PM

Jan 2013
AMUROOOOOOOO

lol the ending gets me everytime
May 23, 2018 7:40 PM

Jun 2014
So, they've managed to enter the Earth's atmosphere, but they're in Zeon airspace, and there's trouble ahead. Let's hope that Gundam and White Base can handle it.

Mar 5, 2019 5:25 AM

Feb 2017
I don't understand why the Earth Federation would allow any territory on Earth to be under Zeon control. Wouldn't that be their number one priority since the start of the war?
Nov 9, 2019 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
eski514 said:
I don't understand why the Earth Federation would allow any territory on Earth to be under Zeon control. Wouldn't that be their number one priority since the start of the war?

That and I also wonder why the farthest colony to earth managed to take control of it
Wouldn't they have a lot of time to stop them?
Aug 19, 2020 5:59 AM

Jul 2017
Kind of a slow and repetitive start to this one with another battle, but towards the end it got good. I liked hearing the old man's story of wanting to return to South America and Amuro fixing the kid's toy. The re-entry was very exciting too, and Char's words to the dying man were kind of touching but still a bit chilly.
Sep 6, 2020 12:22 AM

Aug 2017
Finally, they introduced Garma Zabi in the original Gundam. Crown's death was sad, dying burned, at least Char actually cares for his men with that speech. Also, I like that he has backup plans in case of defeat. For a moment, I though Earth was completely controlled by the Federation lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 2, 2020 1:38 PM

Jun 2016
I was curious how Char would react to his men dying, he has witnessed previous death and didn't give much of a reaction, hell he even smiled at one point. I'm glad to see that he has a heart for his people, and simply seeing him vow that their death won't be in vain as Crown burns up and screams, it goes a long way for ambiguity. For the user who wondered if Char was supposed to be so likable, I think yes. Nor do I think he's intended to be a villain, only an antagonist.

For my first mixed feelings, having every episode basically be an extension of a chase and fight scene(pardon the reductionism) and the fighting not always being clear in what's going on to me, I get a bit of brain mush syndrome. My eyes start to gloss over what's happening and my brain turns into goo. On the flipside, there is something really cool when it comes to having 6+ episodes of continuation of one conflict like this. To conclude, no decisive thoughts, but mixed feelings, and I need a break!!!

On a lighter note, coffee beans in pocket, and cutting to Amuro reading a manuel as another man screams in a fiery death were classic comedy.
Jul 24, 2021 11:28 AM

Oct 2012
Glad to see some humanity from Char. Losing his subordinates like that seems to faze him a bit. He keeps losing Zaku's like crazy too. 8 at this point.

Also a pretty intense episode overall. They somehow managed to get back to earth, just to land in enemy territory. Curious how Garma Zabi will deal with the White Base and the Gundam now. They really can't catch a break. I like this so far, but I hope they'll eventually escape and we can get more story stuff, because it's slowly starting to get repetitive.
Oct 14, 2021 2:40 PM

Nov 2019
It’s kinda funny, everyone’s aim in this anime is so bad. Did they take lessons from Star Wars Stormroopers?
Apr 12, 2022 6:18 PM
Nov 2007
Was this weird morningstar weapon the inspiration for the gundam medieval knights designs?

The cooling process looked ridiculous XD
May 18, 2022 2:10 AM

Oct 2013
After watching Gundam The Origin I laugh at people saying "Char is such a good guy" at this point.
Bruh did so many bad things besides helping his sister
Oct 27, 2022 8:02 PM

May 2019
Char is just so cool and who knows what his (or Zeon's for that matter) motives really are. His military strategies are smart and he sure is stubborn launching an attack in such a short time frame due to re-entry into the atmosphere. This show also highlights an anime that not everyone is overpowered or overly competent, it really shows the struggles that can happen in not only war but with trying to work with technology as a novice.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.