Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 17, 2014 7:10 AM

Sep 2012
Choo choo! The train is getting out of the rails!
Jan 17, 2014 7:32 AM

Oct 2012
This is the Samumenco I wanted to be back.

*watching the next preview*: The Destruction of Japan''

Well fuck...
Jan 17, 2014 10:12 AM

Sep 2013
Jan 17, 2014 12:30 PM

Dec 2008
That Prime Minister with the slapping! WTF?! >__>

Maya had a lot of nerve telling Hazama to go to hell. She was the fuck up. Her little ego's crushed and now she wants to act out. Awesome behavior from someone that's been reduced to hiding in a closet that's not even her own.

Kaname ran off? For some reason I'm not surprised. I wouldn't even be surprised if he's the brains behind From Beyond.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 17, 2014 3:37 PM

Jul 2010
It just got fucking serious in just one episode.
I thought they were going for Sentai ending but now it makes sense. (IF only they keep the things like this obviously)

Anyway, it was a nice episode overall, I really appreciated the cliffhanger.
Btw, I miss the old ED.
Jan 17, 2014 6:00 PM

Apr 2011
Apology said:
That episode was boring.

This scene:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2iut56v.jpg

All the possible screenshots you could have taken in that scene and you choose the ONE that shows no flesh?!?

I really don't get why everyone's so interested in Goto's girlfriend... I honestly doubt she'll ever show up or be more than a throwaway character. Also don't understand why everyone wants to get past this arc and go to something boring like a cop show or relationship drama. People have been whining about this show since it stopped being Kick-Ass the anime and started being just plain kick-ass.
Jan 17, 2014 6:38 PM

Dec 2012
vilmarbf said:
I think hazama's manager is goto's girlfriend

Lol, same here. The scene with Goto's version of Samurai Flamenco on the roof features her reaction of admiration (despite her contempt of masked heroes), as well as Mari's immediately recognizing this Samumenco wasn't the "original". If something dramatic as b/w Mari and Hazama has also happened b/w Goto and his girlfriend, it could explain the sullen face when the manager saw Goto at Hazama's place. Given that the manager is also a bit older than Goto, I can imagine him proposing and being rejected, because of "stuff", um.

Dat Domestic Violence ;D

OK, Japan, prepare for battle :P

BTW, wasn't that slap reminisced from Gundam slaps/beatings? There was a compilation vid of those, but I can't find the right one to post it.
Jan 17, 2014 8:18 PM

Jul 2008
I wish they show his girlfriend already, it's been too long. I better see a blood bath next episode.
Jan 17, 2014 9:00 PM

Apr 2011
ibreaker9736 said:
I wish they show his girlfriend already, it's been too long. I better see a blood bath next episode.

I'm guessing the girlfriend's already dead.

Uhh... 65,536.. lol
Jan 17, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2011
this show is so evil, last episode made me consider dropping it, this episode back to showing the struggles of our hero and the title for the next episode makes me want to continue watching...
Jan 17, 2014 10:59 PM
Jun 2012
Goto's girlfriend may be dead and maybe the sister or someone close to the girlfriend is pretending to be her. After the girlfriend gave him the octopus,she died in an accident and when she gave his the octopus,she said that she is going overseas for a few years thus making him think that she is still alive.Or after she dies,Goto when into psycho mode and killed hazama's parents and the girlfriends sister or someone close to her pretended to be her in order for him to forget the pain.That someone sent the first message and made Goto go out of psycho mode and made him forget that his girlfriend died.But he realized that he killed someone,he confessed but the police felt that it was not his fault and made him become a police.The flower scene in the opening may be for Hazama's parents and not his girlfriend.
Jan 17, 2014 11:24 PM

Jan 2013
There still are some pretty good moments in this anime. Can't wait to find out who Goto's girlfriend is, and how much more the it will escalate in the next 9 episodes.
Jan 18, 2014 4:22 AM
Oct 2010
JulietTalyor said:
Goto's girlfriend may be dead and maybe the sister or someone close to the girlfriend is pretending to be her. After the girlfriend gave him the octopus,she died in an accident and when she gave his the octopus,she said that she is going overseas for a few years thus making him think that she is still alive.Or after she dies,Goto when into psycho mode and killed hazama's parents and the girlfriends sister or someone close to her pretended to be her in order for him to forget the pain.That someone sent the first message and made Goto go out of psycho mode and made him forget that his girlfriend died.But he realized that he killed someone,he confessed but the police felt that it was not his fault and made him become a police.The flower scene in the opening may be for Hazama's parents and not his girlfriend.

Except some of her texts are her saying they should go on a date (which Goto invariably has to cancel). And Goto was 6 when Hazama's parents were killed.
randomperson2229Jan 18, 2014 4:34 AM
Jan 18, 2014 4:40 PM

Jul 2010
Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with the turn this show has taken? It surfaced so quickly into a typical, superhero action anime. I feel like I'm waiting for the "real world" to come back. All this From Beyond stuff sounds so contrived and silly.

Also, as with everyone else, can't wait for Goto's girlfriend. It'll be interesting; and it's adorable how devoted he is. Lol, the theory above would be interesting XD
fishergirl16Jan 18, 2014 4:45 PM
Jan 19, 2014 12:18 AM

Mar 2012
fishergirl16 said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed with the turn this show has taken? It surfaced so quickly into a typical, superhero action anime. I feel like I'm waiting for the "real world" to come back. All this From Beyond stuff sounds so contrived and silly.

Also, as with everyone else, can't wait for Goto's girlfriend. It'll be interesting; and it's adorable how devoted he is. Lol, the theory above would be interesting XD

You're not alone but unfortunately we all know deep down that this show isn't gonna go back to the way it used to be ;_; Also watch us get trolled by them never showing us Goto's girlfriend >,>
Jan 19, 2014 7:50 AM

Jan 2008
Goto's girlfriend seem to have become the new Zuko's mum from Avatar.
Jan 19, 2014 11:11 AM

Jun 2012
I surprisingly got some serious chills this episode, when they were made to choose 5 people to save.

I feel like Kaname might not actually be Kaname anymore... or he's infected or something, especially after he suddenly forgot that he just tossed Blue on the ground. Of course, there's also the possibility that he's always been in league with "From Beyond".
Jan 19, 2014 12:29 PM

Apr 2010
This show is so fucking stupid.
Jan 19, 2014 12:46 PM
Aug 2012
- Alien invasion numbers is hilarious. It goes through the trouble of actually explaining how typical Sentai bad guy factions are actually structured.

- Kaname has a terrible memory. Intriguing and important plot point here.

- Interesting how the Flamengers are now a glorified sect of the governments police/military force.

- Hazamas dream was interesting. He is perpetually in the public eye and now he's a "real super hero". This is a complete 180 from where the series started. He wanted fame and he wanted to be a Sentai hero. Now he has nightmares of not only letting people down but he now carries the weight of getting innocents involved with his heroic persuits. The way he reacts when the girl say's she chased him during his flamenco days hint at Hazama missing when he was a small time crime fighter.

- We see the prime minister go off on Jojoi because he wants to look good in front of the other world politicians. Once again we see this series showing us what it thinks about the media, and more importantly image in modern society.

- Nice visual reference with Goto. "Waiting for the other shoe to drop".

- Weird how Joji got a napkin reading "i trust you", could this possibly be foreshadowing?

- Konno appears to have insider information on what Hazuma was up to. Intriguing.

- We finally see Hazuma become a full fledge superhero. Roll credits.

The strongest episode of Samurai Flamenco in a while, me thinks.
Jan 20, 2014 7:33 AM

Oct 2009
I am literary forcing myself to watch this now, but a much better episode than the last few, the tension and buildup was pretty good.

Gotou's gf though...she must be either dead or with dem aliens =_= GAHH! Show us already!

I miss the old OP/ED :<
Jan 20, 2014 7:40 AM

Oct 2012
Hmm. For first half of this episode I was really bored, to the point I almost stopped this episode half-way through. I mean, I started to watch this show because it WASN'T standard super-hero show but in last few eps it turned out to be precisely that and even worse. And I really don't like the way the show is going right now, I am really not into this sentai genre. In the second part of this ep I realized that I no longer care for those characters anymore... And it's even worse.

I am disgusted with this show as of now.

Only two of them I still care for are Mari and Goto but those are minor now and I really didn't like the shift of the show but endured in belief it would get better but it's worse and worse.. so I am dropping this for good. Nothing good save for horrible sentai show awaits us in next episodes.
Mich666Jan 20, 2014 7:43 AM
Jan 21, 2014 2:14 PM

Feb 2013
5/5 !
This dramatic and melancholic atmosphere...The heroism. Now we see it's not easy to be a hero...Poor Masayoshi.
This new opening by FLOW <3
And Mari. What the fuck she's doing in Gotou's hause ?! I don't want her to be with him...xd And his girlfriend, exactly, his girlfriend xDD
'Do we really have to decide who to save and who not?' - This is unfair ;_;

Jan 22, 2014 9:35 AM

Jun 2011
Seriously, people are just hating now. I was one of those that hated the show when the twist happened, but now I just love it, ignoring how sudden it happened. It happened, deal with it, or just drop the show, instead of "Oh man how boring" in every episode discussion.

On topic, a very well done episode, easily a 5/5. It got deep all of the sudden, man dem politicians, and Kaname the coward(?)/traitor(?). Heavy atmosphere for the whole episode, good shit.

This episode was so well done but people can't get over some shallow shit.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 22, 2014 10:31 AM

May 2013
Dark episode reminiscent of the first episodes. Mari is still a bitch, thought she would change by now and be nicer. If this show is really as ridiculous as it seems, Goto's girlfriend is a From Beyond member. Not serious just putting that out there. If you really don't like it stop watching. It is not going back to the way it was. I don't understand people.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jan 22, 2014 12:50 PM
Aug 2011
Baku219 said:
If you really don't like it stop watching. It is not going back to the way it was.

Well shit. Some of us are trying to be completionists, okay.
Jan 22, 2014 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
Eudaimonia said:
▶ That's a big step-up from last week. The overall tone felt very reminiscent of the earlier days of SamuMenco which is probably also partly due to the fact that it contained the first longer conversation between Hazam and Gotou and his manager respectively in a long time and that things finally got treatet in a more grounded manner.

▶ It slowly becomes clear that the becoming steadily more complicated issues won't be able to get solved by the simple tactics Hazama's team has used until now. It doesn't suffice anymore to put on a rubber suit and hop into a mecha once a day to save the world, the convenient monster-of-the-week pattern has reached its limit, just like in the real world problems don't get solved by punching the baddie in the face from time to time.

▶ Trying to compromise with the government, being constantly stressed out, having to deal with the media and weighing up public vs. secret information all the time, I'm sure you thought playing hero would be much more fun, right, Hazama-kun? The circumstances have been very kind to him until now, he got offered special gadgets by top scientists, received a personal master to train him, an intimidating antagonist to achieve his first grand victory, even fellow power-rangers as companions.

However, the obstacles are piling up: the excruciating pressure he experiences from everywhere, having to abandon his sense of justice by putting the government's reputation in front of the international eyes before the lifes of the citicens he vowed to protect, being abandoned by his master once more, now as a leader he is finally forced to take on real responsiblity and to re-evalute what he wants to achieve. There's no doubt this is the greatest challenge Hazama had to face in his short super-hero career and a much needed opportunity for him to mature and grow as a character.

▶ What I found especially interesting was the prime minister prostrating himself before the Flamengers. He is not portrayed as an overly irresponsible man who acts out of pride or is too arrogant to take their advice as one would expect at first but rather treats the whole issue just as much seriousness as they do, just in a different way with other factors being included and taking the possible public reception of the devastating news into account. From a story-telling point of view it would have been easy to paint a black-and-white situation but with both sides bringing up reasonable arguments makes the whole situation more complex and more difficult to solve for the protagonist which I approve of and makes me hopeful that the creatures have some tricks up their sleeves for the upcoming episodes.

▶ Also, I can't help but draw parallels between the antagonists in this series and actual cases of terrorism in the real world. In both cases there are groups who commit (from our perspective) detestable crimes but who possess just as much resolve and determination (remember what King Torture's minions said to Hazama) as the "heroes". Despite eliminating one antagonistic individual after another the number of people belonging to these "evil" groups seems to continue growing, exponentially even, and to make matters worse they are spreading over the world and operate on a global level now . Using blunt force doesn't seem to have worked in either case. I surely wouldn't put it beyond this show to draw analogies in regard to that topic seeing how it took jabs at the entertainment industry before.

Yo, nicely articulated.
Jan 23, 2014 4:53 PM

Aug 2011
Eudaimonia said:
▶ That's a big step-up from last week. The overall tone felt very reminiscent of the earlier days of SamuMenco which is probably also partly due to the fact that it contained the first longer conversation between Hazam and Gotou and his manager respectively in a long time and that things finally got treatet in a more grounded manner.

▶ It slowly becomes clear that the becoming steadily more complicated issues won't be able to get solved by the simple tactics Hazama's team has used until now. It doesn't suffice anymore to put on a rubber suit and hop into a mecha once a day to save the world, the convenient monster-of-the-week pattern has reached its limit, just like in the real world problems don't get solved by punching the baddie in the face from time to time.

▶ Trying to compromise with the government, being constantly stressed out, having to deal with the media and weighing up public vs. secret information all the time, I'm sure you thought playing hero would be much more fun, right, Hazama-kun? The circumstances have been very kind to him until now, he got offered special gadgets by top scientists, received a personal master to train him, an intimidating antagonist to achieve his first grand victory, even fellow power-rangers as companions.

However, the obstacles are piling up: the excruciating pressure he experiences from everywhere, having to abandon his sense of justice by putting the government's reputation in front of the international eyes before the lifes of the citicens he vowed to protect, being abandoned by his master once more, now as a leader he is finally forced to take on real responsiblity and to re-evalute what he wants to achieve. There's no doubt this is the greatest challenge Hazama had to face in his short super-hero career and a much needed opportunity for him to mature and grow as a character.

▶ What I found especially interesting was the prime minister prostrating himself before the Flamengers. He is not portrayed as an overly irresponsible man who acts out of pride or is too arrogant to take their advice as one would expect at first but rather treats the whole issue just as much seriousness as they do, just in a different way with other factors being included and taking the possible public reception of the devastating news into account. From a story-telling point of view it would have been easy to paint a black-and-white situation but with both sides bringing up reasonable arguments makes the whole situation more complex and more difficult to solve for the protagonist which I approve of and makes me hopeful that the creatures have some tricks up their sleeves for the upcoming episodes.

▶ Also, I can't help but draw parallels between the antagonists in this series and actual cases of terrorism in the real world. In both cases there are groups who commit (from our perspective) detestable crimes but who possess just as much resolve and determination (remember what King Torture's minions said to Hazama) as the "heroes". Despite eliminating one antagonistic individual after another the number of people belonging to these "evil" groups seems to continue growing, exponentially even, and to make matters worse they are spreading over the world and operate on a global level now . Using blunt force doesn't seem to have worked in either case. I surely wouldn't put it beyond this show to draw analogies in regard to that topic seeing how it took jabs at the entertainment industry before.

QFT

Great episode. Best one in quite a while.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Jan 24, 2014 6:57 AM
Oct 2013
Doaj said:
Eudaimonia said:

QFT

Great episode. Best one in quite a while.

No it isn't. The first 7 episodes are still the best.
Jan 26, 2014 4:57 PM

Dec 2012
For what it was, this episode was more enjoyable than the last few, although the From Beyond story is still fairly underwhelming and has lost my interest completely. It was good to see Goto + Hazama have a heartfelt talk again, and the cliffhanger end had a dramatic touch that actually felt right.

Still feel like this series has an unnatural flow to it and is jumping all around to try to fit in more than it can handle, but this episode had some nice moments.
Jan 31, 2014 11:43 PM

Mar 2010
Wow this episode was surprisingly very good! I kind of like the pressure , and the character growth of Hazama Masayoshi too. Its not like I don't understand why he 'did that' , under that kind of pressure or tension , you might do that seriously.....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2014 5:58 AM

Mar 2008
That serious build-up.

The show continues to show that regardless of whether one can enjoy the execution and direction, it definitely knows what it's talking about as it spins these tropes.
Feb 8, 2014 4:40 PM

Aug 2009
I find this the most serious episode so far!! Really thought-provoking!!! Made me feel sad though!!! There is a real meaning behind this anime and I like that a lot!! ^^

I'm so relieved to hear that Gotou's gf knows about Mari.....Somehow I expected him to be that kind of man!!! Love him even more now!!! (//з//)

But Mari was totally naked...wtf...what if Gotou saw her... She must have been aiming for that!!! =.=''' And what's with her "Shine" to Masayoshi...so ungrateful!!! I can't help disliking her! >__>'''
Feb 27, 2014 10:36 AM

Jun 2008
Better episode than the last few. The whole dilemma and nightmares made this kind of interesting but the show still needs to get it's head together.

Silent_Scream said:
ibreaker9736 said:

I'm guessing the girlfriend's already dead.

Uhh... 65,536.. lol

Obviously that is a reference to MAl's message system. New users won't get it though.
May 2, 2014 12:34 PM

May 2012
This is getting pretty weird, still don't know if I like it or not :/
May 26, 2014 11:50 PM

Apr 2014
Masayoshi's character development is one of my favorites of any series, whatever the bumps.

dragonshade said:
I am amazed how some people can watch 13 episodes without realizing so far the theme of the show has been a discussion on what hero and justice really are in reality. Stop hating the show for what it is
a_new_challenger said:
I'm pretty sure the message might just be something along these lines: no matter how much Masayoshi wants to believe that silly, super hero tactics would work in real life, the reality is that things are far more complicated and repercussions are far more serious than they appear on those corny TV shows.

Every time he gets comfortable with the cliche's; real life comes crashing back in to teach him a lesson. Maybe he's running from adulthood by way of his obsession with the made-for-TV heroes and ideals that he grew up with.

Reality is about facing the issues.

Perhaps Masayoshi would be truly happy fighting simple crime with Gotou again.

^Basically all. This.

Watching Samumenco is to be jerked about by birthing pains, yet I sense the final result will be a new creation too... beyond imagination for... my mental architecture to house. ,---' /overload
Aug 26, 2014 5:06 AM

Sep 2012
Lol that slaps haha
Kaname got scared out of his shit. He ran away aha
I thought Maya was Gotou's girlfriend.
This is getting real, and getting a bit boring. I just don't like how this anime turn out.
Nov 28, 2014 12:11 PM
Oct 2014
Ah, still not happy about Goto being trashed aside. Flamengers came and he was not important anymore.:c
I wonder, why Mari went to Goto. Maybe I'm dumb and there won't come an explanation, but I don't get it. She doesn't have someone other? Okay, let it be.

Let me say, I was impressed, that Masayoshi was conflicted about who he should save. Good boy. Your innocence is being kept.
Still, what happened to the boy who were crawling on the ground in pain, because some middle schoolers punched him in the stomach? Where has that guy gone?
Now he messes around with fucking dangerous aliens, who actually kill people.
Such a break in style and mood from the very beginning of the anime to now.
Masaysohi now is pretty famous and he enjoys it to a point. What a development.
Don't know if I like it or not.

He fucking said it. He just said it. Oh oh.
I knew it would come, somehow, but just so badass!
Masayoshi you hero!
Mar 25, 2015 10:08 PM

Feb 2013
Damn, that is a shit ton of enemies.

This episode did have some tension.

Is Kaname the spy!? Hmm! Sakura found her knited thing in the trash. Ouch I wonder wh she wasn't welcomed when she was supposed to choose which 5 people she wanted to bring.

Goto's girlfriend. Show yourslef. I need to know who you are and what you look like. What kinda girl let her boyfriend live with another girl?!

Looks like Masayoshi dropped the ball at the end there. He let the information out.
Nov 9, 2015 3:16 PM

Feb 2012
So who is Goto's girlfriend?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 7, 2016 4:49 PM

Aug 2012
I liked the part of the episode where the Flamerngers were looking for people to evacuate since we really don't know much about their background. Hopefully this will be expanded on.
Aug 31, 2016 3:16 AM

Jul 2008
I still think something is going on, like Hazama is in a mental hospital or something.
Sep 24, 2017 11:37 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Nice moral issues about being a hero this episode.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 12, 2017 1:54 AM

Nov 2016
This is getting better and better.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 20, 2021 3:53 PM

Jul 2012
Shout out to Ushuaia for being mentioned in this weird-ass show.
Aug 16, 2021 4:55 PM

Jul 2019
Goes back to its seriousness, with the talk with Gotou and Kaname, like from Ep 6 and the ending of that, there is realism throughout this entire show whilst also making good use of parody. Love it.

I thought this was a good ending, and the cliffhanger has me hooked, how will this turn out??
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

122 by dragnpiano »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.