Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 23, 2013 10:36 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great movie :)

Loved some of the action. The animation felt a little different but it was intense. Major sure kicked some booty. Movie was about 58 minutes in total but glad it's out now. Can't wait for second movie later this year but damn, that was intense. OP song was also soft but had a lighthearted rhythm to it.

Major sure can kick some ass with those kicks of hers. There's some fanservice (more than I had thought) but this was a great movie. She's back:

Stark700Jun 23, 2013 10:56 AM
Jun 23, 2013 2:15 PM

Jan 2011
Nice to see section 9 before they were section nine. Did she also not have a human body ever in SAC? I don't remember.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
LunaJun 24, 2013 3:50 AM
[center]
Jun 23, 2013 7:56 PM

Nov 2007
It's ok, just Major being set as the bad guy among her company (or something like that) hurts. I heard that it's before the main group is form.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 23, 2013 8:45 PM
Oct 2010
I thought it was pretty good. Interesting story and decent action scenes.
Jun 23, 2013 9:31 PM

Jun 2012
This is my first exposure to the franchise and from this first episode I'm liking a lot what I'm seeing so far. The setting and characters are really interesting and layered, especially the Major. I love to get behind a badass female protagonist whenever I can since they're rare these days*. She reminds me a lot of Balsa from Seirei no Moribito.

Yes I know I need to watch the movie and SAC.... high priority on my backlog

* Not THAT way :P
HybridMBLJun 23, 2013 10:16 PM
Jun 23, 2013 9:47 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty interesting movie, really had to pay attention to get the plot lol
Jun 24, 2013 3:55 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread cleaned.
Please only post if you have something to contribute to the movie discussion and do not discuss fansub releases or where to watch/download this movie, see also the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules.
Jun 24, 2013 6:55 AM
Jul 2012
VioLink said:
Nice to see section 9 before they were section nine. Did she also not have a human body ever in SAC? I don't remember.

Episode 11 of SAC 2nd Gig shows her in intensive care from a plane crash, just prior to her full body cyberization. She looks to be around 8 or so.
Jun 24, 2013 7:48 AM

Jan 2013
Either the movie isn't strictly adhering to the details shown in SAC, or the notion that Kusanagi never had a real body was a false memory created by the virus.
Jun 24, 2013 8:44 AM

Oct 2009
It's a separate continuity from SAC.

So now there's the Manga, The Oshii Movies, SAC, and Arise.

All alternate canon continuities that do not fit with one another.
Jun 24, 2013 10:13 AM

Dec 2012
Doesn't feel like Ghost in the Shell.
Jun 24, 2013 10:39 AM

Apr 2012
Chibi Motoko and Logicoma, my heart.

It took some time getting used to, but it did feel like Ghost in the Shell. Maybe not the best IG though, in-between animation for non-fight scenes was lacking. Hopefully this is corrected in the next movies.
EratiKJun 25, 2013 7:21 PM
Jun 24, 2013 10:41 AM

Jul 2011
Kaede-San said:

Yeah. Felt like a decent sci-fi/futuristic story, but not quite GitS. Then again, I wasn't really expecting it to be. Just happens that Kamiyama Kenji was the one who directed the adaptation of the TV series, and he's amazing at TV adaptations. I think ARISE shows what GitS would have been if it was a normal director: okay, but not amazing.

Hybridbloodszak said:
This is my first exposure to the franchise and from this first episode I'm liking a lot what I'm seeing so far. The setting and characters are really interesting and layered, especially the Major. I love to get behind a badass female protagonist whenever I can since they're rare these days*. She reminds me a lot of Balsa from Seirei no Moribito.

Yes, you should do that now. If you like this, I'm sure the TV series will be awesome for you, maybe an all-time favorite. And of course she's like Balsa from Seirei no Moribito. Same awesome director. (Trust me, I've read the novel for SnM and it's nowhere as excellent as the anime.)

Okay, my love for Kamiyama Kenji aside, this was decent. I love the franchise alot and seeing Section 9 before they were formed was interesting. Though I think I need to start treating this as a completely different series since there are some things that bother me.

It was enough to keep me watching though, so I'll watch the next three as well.

(If they change the picture for Major to her ARISE design, I'll accidentally kick someone.)
MirorinJun 24, 2013 10:53 AM
Jun 24, 2013 11:14 AM

Dec 2012
CNagy said:
Either the movie isn't strictly adhering to the details shown in SAC, or the notion that Kusanagi never had a real body was a false memory created by the virus.

Just finished it and still on hypes, but I also think that these memories are false. The next three series will probably focus more on the Fire-Starter (<- love the name they chose for a cyber virus).

First impressions are OK, I guess. Honestly, I expected something horrible, but have higher hopes for the other films now. It felt like GitS, though it wasn't the "same". In the series Section 9 works in full force and coordination, here - they are before and in the beginning, so it's OK, really. We still have the parallel plot-lines dose and the Major was the "bad guy" here :D

Logicoma comes off with a cheesy speech, which I didn't like at all. And honestly, prefer the Major to be less blue-reddish in design.

Kudos for the 501 Unit. I hope I can see more of them in the next films.
Jun 24, 2013 11:43 AM

Jan 2008
Kaede-San said:
Well, in 1995 - almost 18 years ago, it was produced by a different team. So - it was very likely that they'd created a different tone to 'Arise'.
Jun 24, 2013 2:06 PM

Aug 2011
The first Ghost in the shell thing i've watched and I enjoyed it. The whole thing where kusanagi couldn't tell the difference between what was real and fake was really interesting.
Jun 24, 2013 2:14 PM
Oct 2010
Striderfang said:
The first Ghost in the shell thing i've watched and I enjoyed it. The whole thing where kusanagi couldn't tell the difference between what was real and fake was really interesting.

Yep, because she couldn't tell what was real, we couldn't either. I also liked the fact she lost hand to hand with that one dude. It was clear she was no where as experienced as he was from the onset and they kept that consistent. She won solely because he let his guard down.
Jun 24, 2013 2:54 PM

Feb 2008
Motoko so pretty.

I found this movie quite bad. From the pacing and battle choreography to the visuals and character designs. Motoko looked like she came out of Naruto (and I'm not joking). Hopefully they improve in the next one. 4/10

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 24, 2013 4:34 PM

Aug 2008
The animation was pretty superb for the most part. It was great seeing everyone again. Batou always kicks ass (well aside from fighting the Major ofc). Had to try and keep up with what was goin' on but that's nothing new from this franchise.

Is definitely interesting learning how Section 9 is forming/seeing them before section 9.

Pretty decent movie.
Jun 24, 2013 5:39 PM

Apr 2009
This certainly isn't the GitS I have come to love.
Pacing was off, fight choreographies looked bad, the budget could've been better and ther overall directing was just average.

As a standalone complex this was average, maybe above average - but as an entry in the GitS franchise it was a big disappointment.

And please, don't get me started on the character design and the opening theme...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 25, 2013 2:14 AM

Oct 2008
I liked it a lot. It disappoints me that people seem to keep comparing it to Stand Alone complex. Sorry that it's not a SAC season 3, but take it for what it is and just be happy. I for one am happy that it took from the classic Motoko appearance. I am mostly happy with the character designs. Maybe I am just easy to please when it comes to being grateful that I get things at all, but I thought it was a very nice entry to the Ghost in the Shell franchise and I can't wait for the next OVA in November
AvakianJun 25, 2013 2:19 AM
Jun 25, 2013 6:28 AM

Feb 2008
I enjoyed it well enough, but the soundtrack is really lacking.
Jun 25, 2013 6:55 AM

Aug 2011
Awesome fighting choreography plus the music made this really viewable.
I'll be happy to see the cast from SAC back on screen after 10 years and just wait for the other movies to come out. Ghost Pain wasn't as awesome as it could be, but it wasn't bad either.
Jun 25, 2013 7:04 AM

Jul 2012
The year is 2027. It is a time of great innovation and technological advancement. It is also a time of chaos and conspiracy. Corporations have more power than the government. Everyone is fighting for power, for control.

Motoko 'I never asked for this!'

Lol in all seriousness.

Great film and a refreshing take on the GitS universe.

It was disappointing to see a lot people really slam hard on Motoko's character design, makes me think these people have never seen Oshii's masterful adaptation of GitS. I, for one, love Motoko's design as it references Oshii's take on Motoko's androgynous appearance. Which I find, reflects well with the character's existence and represents one of the philosophical themes of GitS very well. The blurring of male and female sexuality, the cyborg body Motoko inhabits is created by a machine and not of a mother and father, thus presents the embodiment of both sexes. This is an important aspect as we come to understand how the rapid growth of technology is causing dehumanisation of humanity in the GitS world.

Okay, enough tumbling down the rabbit hole. I hope some people got my point. Lol.
Jun 25, 2013 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Maybe the design is not as detailed as I saw in the first movie or a few episodes of GITS SAC, but say it was a piece of crap, I would go up, maybe the sound department may not like it, but they had the Kanno, so ...! I liked the plot, there are some things that I do not squaring, as someone said can be a thing due to the virus, but this is not 100% sure! It is pleasant to watch the characters and the Tachikoma before becoming those who are in section 9. The scene mentioned earlier by ZetaZaku star can also visually represent the difficulty of the battle, the opponent is rather nice and she does not know is that during the series Motoko SAC! For me it was a great first OVA, not great, but I am satisfied!
Jun 25, 2013 1:12 PM

Nov 2009
Good movie, did feel a bit confused though by the conclusion of the case, just didn't feel that they tied it up that cleanly.
Jun 25, 2013 3:16 PM

Jan 2008
Noticed they made the opening a lot simpler than the franchise's previous incarnations. Guess they don't have as big of budget for unlimited CG or they're just cutting costs. Felt like I was watching an opening to a visual novel.

Some people think this is a prequel to Ghost in the Shell SAC, but that's totally wrong. It's a re-imagining (alternate retelling) similar to the Rebuild of Evangelion movie series; with more back story before the formation of Section 9 (may be known as something else in Arise). The proof that it's different is the origin story of Motoko Kusanagi, where it's explained in this first movie, while in SAC it's completely different, and is actual a major plot point involving one of the antagonists, so I won't spoil that here in case people haven't seen Stand Alone Complex yet.

The completely different art-style (not including the controversial character designs) should have been a dead giveaway.

No more Tachikoma, but now we have Logicoma! I hope they're just as awesome because they seem to lack arms, guns, convertible wheel-feet, or web-shooters mounted to a thorax-like cockpit, but hopefully they can have add-ons, or parts of it start opening up to reveal more features.
Estoy_GordoJun 25, 2013 3:37 PM
Jun 25, 2013 3:34 PM

Jan 2008
Onijho said:

It was disappointing to see a lot people really slam hard on Motoko's character design, makes me think these people have never seen Oshii's masterful adaptation of GitS. I, for one, love Motoko's design as it references Oshii's take on Motoko's androgynous appearance. Which I find, reflects well with the character's existence and represents one of the philosophical themes of GitS very well. The blurring of male and female sexuality, the cyborg body Motoko inhabits is created by a machine and not of a mother and father, thus presents the embodiment of both sexes. This is an important aspect as we come to understand how the rapid growth of technology is causing dehumanisation of humanity in the GitS world.

Okay, enough tumbling down the rabbit hole. I hope some people got my point. Lol.

Her gender was already well predetermined while in her mother's womb. Or did you not pay attention watching the movie? As for appearance, considering this is the future, they could easily come up with a draft for what she could look like through her genetics, whether or not she got more from her mother's side, or father's, they could attribute that to a percentage, and take both facial features of her parents and digitally merge them accordingly. We can in fact do that nowadays with photoshop, or computer/phone apps that take two photos and merge them together to see how would a baby would look like if they mated.

As for body size, they could simply attribute that to her age, and the average build of a woman in that age group. If your talking about bust size, that was up to the military...they needed her for military-related reasons, like combat, investigation, etc, so smaller would be ideal. Unless the one who made her prosthetic body has some kind of fetish.
Estoy_GordoJun 25, 2013 3:44 PM
Jun 26, 2013 8:39 PM

Nov 2010
ZetaZaku said:
Motoko so pretty.
I knew someone would get that, I thought it would be a gif though.

I didn't like it a whole bunch, it was above average but that's all. The art was completely fine with me, but the fighting looked bad most of the time and the story wasn't the best.

7/10 Hopefully I like the next ones more.
Jun 27, 2013 12:05 AM

Mar 2012
GITS working hard to keep the title of most mediocre franchise. The animation was a step down, though.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 27, 2013 1:07 AM

May 2012
Good to know how Sector 9 was formed. However, something seems lacking that at some point it seems not that interesting. But anyway, gonna still follow the succeeding episodes since I am a big GITS fan. Hoping for more action :)
Jun 27, 2013 3:28 AM

Oct 2011
have to admit i wasn't (and still am not) a huge fan of the new character design, but arise turned out to be a very enjoyable and exciting film all the same (one of the hardest pitfalls to avoid when re-imagining a franchise with many devoted fans is alienating said fans).....i thought they did a very decent job of creating a prequel with a good story, great action, and an amazing group of seiyuu (nice to see maaya sakamoto back as kusanagi).....still, its' hard not to be disappointed, imagining another s.a.c. or reinvention of the original film - that being said, it was a very good time.......8 o' 10........
octal9Jun 27, 2013 3:32 AM
Jun 27, 2013 11:41 PM

Jan 2009
so Motoko did not have a real body at all, good movie it was nice to see the beginning of section 9
Jun 28, 2013 5:37 PM
Jan 2009
This is what happens when you let a bunch of nobodies handle a significant property. The college years with terrible character designs, out of character behaviour, shit voice actors, shit soundtrack; that's me being nice. I'm sure there's some crazy diehards out there are going to slaughter this series, calling it the 'proof animu is dead/moe is killing the medium' with some elaborate viral jpeg comparison.
Jun 29, 2013 2:56 AM

Mar 2008
New_Username said:
This is what happens when you let a bunch of nobodies handle a significant property. The college years with terrible character designs, out of character behaviour, shit voice actors, shit soundtrack; that's me being nice. I'm sure there's some crazy diehards out there are going to slaughter this series, calling it the 'proof animu is dead/moe is killing the medium' with some elaborate viral jpeg comparison.

I think the main problem is they did not have Kamiyama, Kenji
Jun 29, 2013 3:00 AM

Oct 2008
Ok, so I hated the artwork. especially Motoko and Batou's designs. I also don't like Motoko's personality very much, it seems to be quite different from her peronallity in SAC. In SAC she would've killed her enemies pretty quickly.. Not to mention the fact that she's not sexy anymore.

Though, overall I think it was good, not great like the original movie and SAC, but more on the level of GITS 2 Innocence for me.
Jun 29, 2013 11:33 PM

Nov 2011
So I guess it's cool to say this wasn't good? Pfft. Whatever.
Jun 30, 2013 12:02 AM

Nov 2010
neontaster said:
Or maybe people really didn't think that it was that good. Especially compared to the other stuff.
Jun 30, 2013 12:08 AM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
neontaster said:
Or maybe people really didn't think that it was that good. Especially compared to the other stuff.

I didn't say it was impossible to not like this. I'm saying several people who say it isn't good would have scored it a 10 if it came out in 1998 exactly as it is now.
Jun 30, 2013 12:21 AM

Nov 2010
neontaster said:
IntroverTurtle said:
neontaster said:

I didn't say it was impossible to not like this. I'm saying several people who say it isn't good would have scored it a 10 if it came out in 1998 exactly as it is now.
How do you figure that? And this art and animation would actually be pretty good for that time. And how many other Gits related anime had come out at that time?
Jun 30, 2013 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
neontaster said:
IntroverTurtle said:
neontaster said:

How do you figure that? And this art and animation would actually be pretty good for that time. And how many other Gits related anime had come out at that time?

You seem awfully defensive for some reason. The gentleman doth protest too much, perhaps?

Look, I'm sure there are plenty of people with GitS nostalgia who will find all sorts of faults with this (god knows why), but then there are the people who are either afraid to say it is good, or just choose to ignore that it is. To say the animation was bad or that the story was stupid implies to me that those people don't know what they're talking about. You might not have liked the animation and/or story, but bad? Give me a break.
Jun 30, 2013 8:17 AM

Mar 2012
The animation is bad, for a Ghost in the Shell anime in 2013. You expect more from big franchises.
LoneWolf said:
Jun 30, 2013 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
Araby said:
The animation is bad, for a Ghost in the Shell anime in 2013.

No it isn't.
Jun 30, 2013 8:59 AM

Mar 2012
Fine, fine. Agree to disagree.
LoneWolf said:
Jun 30, 2013 9:13 AM

Nov 2010
neontaster said:
IntroverTurtle said:
neontaster said:
IntroverTurtle said:
neontaster said:

You seem awfully defensive for some reason. The gentleman doth protest too much, perhaps?

Look, I'm sure there are plenty of people with GitS nostalgia who will find all sorts of faults with this (god knows why), but then there are the people who are either afraid to say it is good, or just choose to ignore that it is. To say the animation was bad or that the story was stupid implies to me that those people don't know what they're talking about. You might not have liked the animation and/or story, but bad? Give me a break.
See this is where the conversation ends, no need to respond. You make some statement with no proof about people only saying an anime is bad to be cool and when asked to explain you start calling someone defensive. It sounds like you're butthurt about people not liking an anime you do, thinking the only reason that they could not like it is if they're faking it.
Jun 30, 2013 9:21 AM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
See this is where the conversation ends, no need to respond. You make some statement with no proof about people only saying an anime is bad to be cool and when asked to explain you start calling someone defensive. It sounds like you're butthurt about people not liking an anime you do, thinking the only reason that they could not like it is if they're faking it.

You're the one who responded to my post. I wasn't having a conversation with you to begin with, just posting my impression with some of the comments in this thread. You say I don't explain myself, but neither did the people who were bashing it. If someone posts a one line "the animation sucked," why should I respond with anything more detailed than "no it doesn't"? The person clearly isn't interested in having a discussion about it or they'd lay out their case initially.

And you seem to lack understanding of what butthurt means. I actually find it amusing to see people bash this for having a bad plot or bad animation.
Jun 30, 2013 9:42 AM

Dec 2012
It wasn't bad, I would be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more.

The Major is still hot, but...but it's not the major. Maaya does a great job as her VA (as per usual) but I just can't wrap my brain around this being the Major.

As for the animation, I didn't pay it any mind, sure it should be better, but it was good enough. Honestly I was expecting something mediocre on the animation stand point, and as long as everything else lives up to snuff, I can care less about it.

Also the opening (if you would even call it that) was horrendous.
JovooJun 30, 2013 9:47 AM
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Jul 1, 2013 10:09 AM
Jan 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
this was average, maybe above average - but as an entry in the GitS franchise it was a big disappointment.

Agreed.
Jul 1, 2013 2:47 PM

Jun 2009
Too bad there is no anime in GITSverse after Innocence ...

This one is terrible even as generic cyberpunk.
Jul 1, 2013 3:58 PM

Nov 2011
Arqentum said:
Too bad there is no anime in GITSverse after Innocence ...

This one is terrible even as generic cyberpunk.

Not everything can be as sublime as... Code Geass R2. LMAO.

Seriously guys - if you're going to be snobs, at least have snobbish taste.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Philosphy

Hashira_1996 - Aug 1, 2022

1 by Lafansujie »»
Aug 4, 2022 6:02 AM

» Watching Order for Ghost in a Shell: Arise

pokuchoppu - Oct 20, 2014

6 by Xenoseeker »»
Oct 3, 2015 7:47 PM

» Thoughts on art &amp; style so far?

BRSxIgnition - Jan 30, 2013

38 by Gr3g00r »»
Nov 27, 2014 5:20 PM

» Entry has been split...

loghneckbeard - Jun 23, 2013

11 by Restless_Soul »»
Oct 5, 2014 11:39 AM

» Do I need to watch anything?

Haytin - Jan 27, 2014

2 by Haytin »»
Jan 27, 2014 8:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.