Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 13, 2008 1:11 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Adieu, My Beloved Oscar"

A sad and brutal ending to a great series. Oscar doesn't last long into the ep, but she had a great death scene. The rest of the episode becomes an epilogue as Antoinette finally returns prominently after Oscar's death. And we see how history has treated the story's characters.

I really did feel sorry for Antoinette, though I can imagine a lot of other viewers not feeling the same way. It seemed a lot of this could've been avoided if the nobility actually had a respect for its subjects and understood it position better. The King was weak & accepted terrible advice, surrounded by corruption. Antoinette was stubborn and didn't get it until the end. Or she may have not ever really understood. Even Fersen who was a great and tragic character ended up becoming a monster after all he endured and suffered the same fate as the French nobility. I suppose all of this could've been seen coming, given that the whole series was based on historical events & people. But it doesn't change the fact that you got attached to the characters and cared none the less.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed the series. Having only watched maybe one series this old, I admit it held up very well. Rose of Versailles surpassed many of the anime I've watched that is much younger than this series. Though some of it was WAY over the top for me, I'd highly recommend it to anyone. *thumbs up*
May 30, 2009 9:27 PM

May 2008
The ending was pretty tragic but it was great series overall.
May 31, 2009 10:52 PM

May 2007
I thought Bernard was the third member of Robeispierre and St. Just's triumvirate that ruled France, oops.

Very, very sad series 9/10.

I miss Oscar.
My anime list
Nov 6, 2009 4:01 AM

Mar 2007
Huh, after finishing the series, I don't even know what to day anymore. It was a great ride, even though there were a few bumps here and there.
Mar 25, 2010 11:21 PM

Oct 2007
I loved this show so much, but i mean , after andre died i dont think i had anymore tears left. and i feel like the fact oscar died in the beggining of the last episode just made the whole ending seem sort of... blah. i mean, the ending with antoinette was pretty sad, and i like the whole rose deal at the end... but just... oscar gone???!!! i just couldnt imagine why i was still watching.

I want my happy ending!

im so torn between a 9 or a 10. amazing amazing show. but sooo sad, that giving it a 10 is sort of hard.
Apr 21, 2010 4:58 PM

Apr 2008
Then you should stick with the usual happy ending stories.

For me it was a 10/10 Few times have I watched such perfection in animated form.
Jun 16, 2010 7:39 AM

Dec 2008
I was kinda amazed that Oscar died in like the first 5 minutes of this episode. I enjoyed watching the rest with showing the history of what happened afterward.

Too bad Fersen became horrible after all of that.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Jul 2, 2010 11:14 PM

May 2010
I loved the coldness of the epilogue, it was like "and then these two died, and then this person dies, and Fersen became cold and was killed 10 years later." I wonder if so many people died that they just gave up making them dramatic :) Anyways, really freaking good show, although I admit I'm glad it's finally over.
“Money can't buy dere”
Oct 6, 2010 12:28 PM

Sep 2009
Good series :')
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 10, 2010 10:57 PM

Jul 2007
This series was incredible. I enjoyed watching it so much.
Why can't new anime series be this good? ;/

Oscar has become one of my favorite characters of all time.
Nov 3, 2010 7:16 PM
Jul 2010
That was so sad but I loved it! I mean, I knew a lot of people were going to die (it's the French Revolution after all...). Still, a great ending to a great anime! The part with the rose was especially sad...
Dec 16, 2010 9:51 PM
Jul 2008
So sad that Andre and Oscar died at least they fall in love in the end.
Feb 16, 2011 3:41 PM
Nov 2010
10/10

This is the best anime I've ever watched.

I'm surprised it's not in the top list of MAL.

Side Note: This is what a true manga adaptation should be : It should take the best of a manga, filter the useless stuff, add and animate an original script to make the series even better.
Feb 28, 2011 9:30 PM
May 2008
I didn't really like that epilogue. It just sucked away all the emotions of Oscars death and just coldly told us that everyone else just died miserably. Not exactly a shock to anyone that knows anything about the French revolution, but I think they could have done a much better job.
Mar 2, 2011 12:12 PM

Sep 2009
Rose of Versailles was amazing.
Sorry it took me this long to get to it v_v
10/10
it deserves it.
Mar 8, 2011 2:24 PM

Apr 2009
Damnit Oscar... you deserved better than this... so much better... but then again what did I expect... even discounting tuberculosis, this is the french revolution we are talking about, if not at the Bastille it would be during the terror anyway... and besides you can't have a rose of Versailles without the Versailles part right? But still, it was such a pity... adieu, Oscar... adieu...
Apr 13, 2011 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
I'd agree with everyone who said the epilogue was so cold, but I liked the actual end to Oscar's story; it suited her to go out the way she did instead of dying at home of tuberculosis, and the part with the rose at the end was a nice touch.

My main problem there is that after everything about Oscar was concluded, they ended the episode with an... addendum on Ferson? It just struck me as a weird note to go out on, and I'm sure they could've stuck it in earlier.

Ah well, adieu, Oscar. I'll miss her and this show. I'm not sure if I'll keep this series at a 10 or not, but it was a good one.
Apr 26, 2011 8:59 PM

May 2010
It took like 30 episodes to erase the Queen from this show.

And now leaves me with one big question mark, if Oscar never gave birth to Andre's child, then how is Reinhardo-sama related to her...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 1, 2011 11:26 PM

May 2010
I really enjoyed this series and how historically accurate it was. In high school, my teacher had taught us that the main cause of the Revolution was due to Antoinette entirely and her "crimes", but the historical accuracy of ROV made me gain great sympathy for the character as I found out all of them were just lies and that she was just a person who was misunderstood since she was too stubborn. Killing her and her family was just wrong... But this was a great series, I was sad that they killed of Oscar, but it is the French Revolution and her death was fitting and nothing cheap.

10/10
Jul 8, 2011 10:42 AM
Jun 2011
I just finished Rose of Versailles 2 days ago.

It was an Incredible Ending-I really loved how it showed the Harshness of historical realities particularly on the tragic outcome of Marie Antonniete and Fersen.
Aug 8, 2011 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
Absolutely 10/10. The real story is a brilliant piece of history as it is, and this is one of the best dramatisations I've ever seen. Amazing characters and writing. And the animation is about as faultless as I could ever imagine for a 1979 show...I mean it looks a million times better than Berserk did twenty years later :/
Aug 20, 2011 6:08 PM

Feb 2009
lol one of the former french guards had an eye patch, how did he qualify for a soldier xD.. and i can't imagine being rosalie at this point of the series having anyone i loved\ know\ talked to\ interacted with die on me like that =\

i specially loved how in this episode the anime instead of telliing history decided to act like some news channel * phew ~ phew* oscar dies *phew`phew* the bastille was seized x'D

loved it <3
Sep 25, 2011 1:34 PM

Feb 2010
So this is the end.
I would have liked it if we saw more of the reign of terror in the series, but it was great as it was. 9/10 for me, because it's still not as good as LOGH and the first half wasn't THAT great. The second half alone and especially everything that happened after Oscar changed position to the French Guards would probably be a 10 for me.

The last sentence shocked me a bit though. "Fersen became a cruel ruler who hated his subjects and was slaughtered by his own citizens some years later."
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 6, 2011 11:30 PM

Jul 2008
Such a... informative ending...
Dec 23, 2011 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
shadylookin said:
I didn't really like that epilogue. It just sucked away all the emotions of Oscars death and just coldly told us that everyone else just died miserably. Not exactly a shock to anyone that knows anything about the French revolution, but I think they could have done a much better job.

Yeah...

Because of that I'm stuck between 8-9/10...
Feb 3, 2012 1:19 AM

Jun 2010
My heart throbbed as I watch the whole series. But I still don't know what to put a 9 or a 10. It is a great depiction of the French Revolution but some parts-, IMO, kind of turned me off, -very few parts that can be covered by the strong parts of the series. Still it was the strongest series I've ever watched.

EDIT: and why is it not placed in the high ranking here in MAL??
yellowbudsFeb 3, 2012 1:31 AM
Mar 5, 2012 1:17 PM

Oct 2011
hey, I just got a new top 5 anime. This was really good, and I didn't even mind that I watched it in mostly in 360p(oh the horror!). I liked it the entire time, the only thing that put me off a little bit was the sparkles, but you have to expect that when it's a shoujo.
Jul 3, 2012 9:20 AM

Feb 2008
Well, this series is the very embodiment of the old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".
Nobody can say that Marie Antoinette was a bad person at heart. In fact, she really cared for those around her. What caused her the tragic fate she had was the many mistakes she made during her reign. However, I don't believe that she was 100 % at fault. Because she lived a very sheltered life. The only people she came in contact with were the nobles. She was also manipulated by Polignac and other people like her. And she never saw with her own eyes the hunger and poverty of the french people. Had she knew about it, I am sure that she would have done something to help them.

I also simply loved Oscar. Probably the best anime character ever created. Or among the greatest, anyway. I am kind of curious about what happened with the rest of the Jarjeyes family in the aftermath. How did her father cope ? Did he live or die ?

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Sep 6, 2012 11:42 PM

Feb 2012
Adieu.

Up there with the saddest anime deaths. Her noble character was just too good for those tragic times.
Oct 12, 2012 8:29 PM

Mar 2011
Overall, a magnificent series that started off well and got even better toward the end. It's not perfect by any mens, but it'd be criminal to rate something of which I felt such intense emotions less than a 10-9/10.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Dec 13, 2012 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
That's a way to end things. "By the way, if there's any secondary characters you might have liked, they either brutally died, or lived terrible lives and then brutally died."
Since it was about the French Revolution, it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be a very happy ending. An absolutely excellent series, and a shame we don't have more like it nowadays. Realistic and believable characters you could easily get attached to.

The two halves of the series are strikingly different, incorporating more action with the drama as the revolution unfolds. From the comparatively slower beginning, I wasn't expecting nearly as much fighting as what went on later. The only things about the series I can say I didn't like are the massive jumps in time all over the place (okay, this episode is months later, and now this is years...), and the drama for the sake of drama (like Gerodere next in line to admit he loves Oscar). I'm giving it a 9/10, and say that'll definitely go up after I watch more to compare it to.

Also, did they ever show what happened to Mercy? I can't remember. He just seemed to stop showing up at some point.
Jan 19, 2013 9:14 AM

Oct 2010
OHHHH WHYYYY did I have to read this freaking topig, everything is spoiled.........the main dies....now I can't watch it because it's too sad :(
Feb 22, 2013 8:46 AM

Sep 2010
Wow Oscar died like 5 minutes in I don't think I ever saw an anime where the main dies and for the rest of the time we are given info on how everything went down after they died.

"Fersen...became a cold-hearted lord who hated his subjects, and was brutally murdered by his people." Now that I wasn't expecting and for the final line of the series too. xD

9/10 it was a great series although it started really slow the last 20 or so episodes were absolutely amazing. Would have given it a 10 if it wasn't for the over dramatic effects and the slow start.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 18, 2013 5:35 PM

Mar 2013
I scored it a 9/10 myself but it's one of my all time favourite anime. I have to say everybody who has posted in this topic has true taste in great anime. I can't grasp the people who refuse to watch anime from years gone by, they claim the "animation" puts them off....... to me it's inconceivable xD
Pat on the back to everybody who got that movie reference, anyway I guess it's a case that some, indeed most people will never know what an incredible experience they've missed out on.
Mar 22, 2013 10:40 AM

Nov 2011
I'll force my friend, who says that old animes are bad, to watch this!

Mar 22, 2013 11:24 AM
Dec 2012
CinnamonHime said:
I'll force my friend, who says that old animes are bad, to watch this!

Yeah it's a pity not a few people neglect the anime just b/c it's old. It's their loss.

Wish the art was re-edited in today's style like Gundam Seed was revitalized. Then those people will pay attention to this noble anime.
Mar 24, 2013 5:39 AM

Jun 2012
I believe the two last episodes were the climax of the whole show.The tension kept building up from episode 1 slowly,along with the French Revolution.
I don't think the ending could have been more appropriate even if it was pretty sad there are many reason this was the perfect ending for Rose of Versailles.
Apr 19, 2013 7:44 PM

Sep 2010
CharlesTheWise said:
I scored it a 9/10 myself but it's one of my all time favourite anime. I have to say everybody who has posted in this topic has true taste in great anime. I can't grasp the people who refuse to watch anime from years gone by, they claim the "animation" puts them off....... to me it's inconceivable xD
Pat on the back to everybody who got that movie reference, anyway I guess it's a case that some, indeed most people will never know what an incredible experience they've missed out on.

I really think RoV had amazing art for its time. Way better than what Mobile Suit Gundam gave me too many character derps lol. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 28, 2013 5:22 PM
Dec 2012
I loved the ending so much! Made me cry so much ;-; i was sad that Oscar and Andre JUST MARRIED and then they die the next day q.q too sad...but knowing it was for a change in society it makes me wish that they were real life figures so that France can have some idol for them or something. Great story, fantastic plot!
May 24, 2013 8:41 AM
Feb 2011
"Marie Antoinette was determined to remain Queen, and all the people were stunned by her dignity"

HAHAHA oh my god. wow. yeah I don't believe that in the slightest. More like the mob ripped that extravagant dress to shreds and dragged her out into the street by her hair while she was spat on and thrown into prison along with the rest of the royal family.

I like how the King is convieniently absent whenever Fersen meets Antoinette. And like... that whole affair thing is never brought up at all. between them or by anyone else. Literally no sympathy for thier tearful parting.

I guess that beheading will suffice. Could have used more gore but yeah. Finally she's dead.

and lol Fersen. that blows.
002173Jun 26, 2013 5:37 AM
Jul 13, 2013 5:45 PM

May 2009
really great show the only issue I have is with the cheesy sparkles but it's 70's shoujo so I'll look past that

10/10
Jul 17, 2013 3:34 PM

May 2010
Amazing show....10/10
Sep 27, 2013 1:44 AM
Aug 2011
Oh I actually really enjoyed this.
Could've done with less Marie Antoinette though.

Hmmmm I'm torn between an 8 or a 9.
My personal (decimal) rating would be an 8.5 then.

PrincessLove said:
really great show the only issue I have is with the cheesy sparkles but it's 70's shoujo so I'll look past that

I thought the sparkles were fantastic. Shows these days could do with more sparkles.
Oct 6, 2013 4:19 AM

Oct 2010
Loved it. So many feels.

I only really had two gripes with the series. One was how it went from Oscar's heart wrenching death to pretty much an info dump epilogue (which I don't think even told us what happened to her family) and I actually felt the series could easily have been double the length it was.

I would have liked them to have gone more in-depth with certain characters and plots that the show introduces but then resolves pretty quickly or doesn't mention again for episodes at a time eg. how Marie went from being a spoiled naive yet caring and compassionate queen to ordering 100,000 troops onto the streets of Paris to control the starving and oppressed people. Plus the latter half dropped alot of the political going's on that I really loved in the first half.

But overall I really freakin loved it and think it's a true classical masterpiece.

Anyone know how/if the anime differs from the manga?
Oct 31, 2013 1:56 AM

Jul 2008
The King should have kept Fersen around, maybe they would have escaped but no the King was stupid and foolish to the end as was Marie to a degree. But in the end the nobility got what was coming to them as did the King and Queen unfortunately.

In this case ignorance was not bliss.

Oscar's story was nothing short of tragic, I wish she had a better end but it was not to be. I'll give the series an 8/10
Nov 4, 2013 2:27 AM

Apr 2012
This show felt more of a seinen than anything else. It totally changed my views about the shojo genre and i was expecting something very light. Oh well, i guess that's French Revolution for you q_q

Oh well, at least Rosalie is happy at the end.

No wonder the fucking french revolution happened because of a Queen like Marie Antoinette but i still felt sorry for her in the end.
RedgraveGilverNov 4, 2013 4:12 AM
Nov 4, 2013 2:36 AM

Sep 2013
I just got the Part 1 & 2 box sets a few days ago and decided to marathon it.
9/10 never forget July 14th.
peeyaj said:
Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.
Nov 30, 2013 2:44 PM

Apr 2012
SimmianPrime said:
Loved it. So many feels.

I only really had two gripes with the series. One was how it went from Oscar's heart wrenching death to pretty much an info dump epilogue (which I don't think even told us what happened to her family) and I actually felt the series could easily have been double the length it was.

I would have liked them to have gone more in-depth with certain characters and plots that the show introduces but then resolves pretty quickly or doesn't mention again for episodes at a time eg. how Marie went from being a spoiled naive yet caring and compassionate queen to ordering 100,000 troops onto the streets of Paris to control the starving and oppressed people. Plus the latter half dropped alot of the political going's on that I really loved in the first half.

But overall I really freakin loved it and think it's a true classical masterpiece.

Anyone know how/if the anime differs from the manga?

There's some differences but not much.
Oscar didn't realize Andre is blind until he dies for protecting her.
Oscar told Andre she loves him too after Andre defended her in front her father.
Oscar told Andre she wants to be his wife (you know what I mean) in her home, not in the wood.
There are some characters in manga that doesn't appear in anime.
Black Knight almost got caught by Oscar after she ran out of the ball.
Alain loves Oscar
Andre tried to kill Oscar and suicide bc he thought he would never be with her (fortunately he didn't do it)
Oscar has considered marrying Gerodelle.
The officers of Regiment B tied Oscar up and tried to harass her once.
I can only recall above.
Jan 3, 2014 2:47 PM

Feb 2012
Rose of Versailles is a fantastic show. A true classic. 9/10.
Jan 5, 2014 9:54 PM

Nov 2011
And so it ends....

Too bad about Andre. We all know he's never going to be come back. Fersen seems to have his own plans in this finale though. Shame it failed. The legendary tales of Oscar will never die though. 8/10. This was damn beautiful.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.