Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Rose of Versailles Episode 14 Discussion

Oct 19, 2008 1:54 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"The Secret of the Angel"

Oscar and Andre return to their manor. Polignac manipulates Antoinete into giving her family undeserved wealth and ranking, causing resentment among the nobles. Oscar tells her father about everything she had seen in Arras, but is rebuked for her rule-breaking and told to ignore the peasants. Rosalie finds a job at Beltin Dressmakers---right before her mother is run over by Polignac's carriage. Before she dies, her mother tells her that she is not her real child, and that her real mother was someone called "Martine Gabrielle". Rosalie is comforted by Bernard Chatelet, a news reporter who promises to help her whenever she needs it. Swearing to avenge her mother's death, she heads towards Versailles, and mistakes Madame Jarjayes for Polignac. Oscar foils her attempt to stab the Madame. After hearing her story, Oscar takes her in as her protege so she could enter court and avenge her mother. synopsis courtesy of Wikipedia

Comments: Oh Antoinette, she's so clueless. She is only making her situation worse.

-more "father slaps"
-Rosalie got a job! Yay! ...nevermind D=
-how many ppl get wacked by speeding carriages in this show?
-Martine Gabrielle?
-Polignac seems manipulative, but not evil. She was just desperate and took advantage of a situation.
-enter Bernard Chatelet, will he be important in the future?
-Oscar has an apprentice? *thumbs up*
-what has that other evil lil' b*tch, Jeanne been up to?

Jan 20, 2009 8:40 AM

Hummm... I wonder why was Rosalie given into someone else' care... I mean, there must be a real reason for that... you don't just give up your child just like that, do you?

Polignac is a biiig coward... and she has no sense or responsibility, so she's just okay for being a noble. pmph

I'm burious about that boy as well... and can't w8 to see Rosalie fencing XD...

the ending pic was kind'a spooky tho... they either got Oscar's grin wrong, either Oscar is not what we were made think she is... hummm...

Feb 15, 2009 9:58 PM

You know it was Rosalie's mom fault, she should have looked both ways, and she had a little time to react. Otherwise I like the idea of an apprentice for Oscar.
My anime list

Apr 21, 2009 5:24 PM

I know Oscar is kind, but I don't really see why she'd take Rosalie in as an apprentice just like that...

For a second there I thought we would lose two moms this episode.. ;_;

DonKangolJones said:

-Polignac seems manipulative, but not evil. She was just desperate and took advantage of a situation.

Yeah, I dislike her a little less now that she at least she feels guilty about the situation with Rosalie.

As for Martine Gabrielle... well, if you know your historical figures, this one isn't too hard to figure out. >D

May 25, 2009 7:30 PM

So Rosalie wants to kill someone and Oscar is so willing to train her, wat

Also is it wrong that I laughed when I saw Rosalie's mother about get hit by a carriage? Characters in this show need to stop aimlessly walking in the middle of the road.

Feb 10, 2011 10:19 PM

MagEarwhig said:

Also is it wrong that I laughed when I saw Rosalie's mother about get hit by a carriage? Characters in this show need to stop aimlessly walking in the middle of the road.

They need traffic lights
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Feb 26, 2011 4:50 PM

Ahhh it's all so frustrating!
Antoinetttttte RAWR

but generally I'm loving this anime.
I feel like it's helping me understand Utena better ^^

my friend teased for me watching sumn from 1979 but screw them!

Sep 4, 2011 9:00 AM
DonKangolJones said:

-more "father slaps"
-Rosalie got a job! Yay! ...nevermind D=
-how many ppl get wacked by speeding carriages in this show?
-Martine Gabrielle?
-enter Bernard Chatelet, will he be important in the future?
-Oscar has an apprentice? *thumbs up*
-what has that other evil lil' b*tch, Jeanne been up to?

Pretty sums up my thoughts about the episode. So far not many characters have been introduced that don't reappear sometime, so I guess we'll see Bernard again in the future.

It was also good to see Oscar drifting more and more towards a radical anti-noble disposition, and with Rosalie there is finally some action that Oscar can take to help a commoner (though in fact she's not) against nobility.
no more forums

Dec 4, 2011 11:42 PM

Why am I getting the feeling that Oscar is going to ultimately side with the commoners? Well, she couldn't, because I'm sure the normal people see her as being as bad as Antoinette just because she is a noble. But, really, I suppose it's far to early to tell how this series is going to end up.

I to thought it was odd that Oscar helped Rosalie just like that and that it was kind of cheesy for her mother to get hit by that cart.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Mar 22, 2012 7:02 PM
「にぱ〜★」

The plot is developing in a very interesting way.

Oct 1, 2012 2:55 AM

insan3soldiern said:
Why am I getting the feeling that Oscar is going to ultimately side with the commoners? Well, she couldn't, because I'm sure the normal people see her as being as bad as Antoinette just because she is a noble. But, really, I suppose it's far to early to tell how this series is going to end up.

I to thought it was odd that Oscar helped Rosalie just like that and that it was kind of cheesy for her mother to get hit by that cart.

I'll just be totally unoriginal and echo all your thoughts.

Pretty sure that Oscar already is ultimately on the side of the commoners, and maybe she'll ditch her noble status? Or work in the commoners' favours from behind the scenes, within the courts of Versailles?

Definitely a bit cheesy for yet another character to get hit by a carriage... Makes me wonder if death-by-carriage-accident was common before the advent of crosswalks and traffic lights.

Oct 8, 2012 2:01 PM
I thought Rosalie's mother was too out of it to really know what she was doing when she was crossing the street. You'd think she would have gotten dressed or put on shoes or something if she was okay. (Well, and if she had anything else to wear.)

Oh man, if Rosalie is going to be a noble, you think they're gonna raise some more conflict between her and Jeanne?

Feb 13, 2013 1:41 AM

Geez Rosalie, Jeanne, and their mother sure like to play in traffic. xD

So I guess Rosalie will become of noble status now eventually? It pretty much spoils that in the ending where she is wearing a better dress than the old ragged one she had on.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

May 21, 2013 10:20 PM

Look both ways before crossing the street, ladies! Sheesh, you'd think they would have learned by now.

Oct 14, 2013 11:21 PM

Ugh and the tragedies just keep rolling. The tension is getting worse. I wonder when it finally is going to break?

Jan 2, 2014 6:47 AM

Stop look listen before you cross the street.

Mar 10, 2014 10:28 AM

Oh, the poor unfortunate girl finally get's lucked out.

Nothing bad is so not going to happen.

Mar 15, 2014 10:56 PM

The moment Rosalie got the job, I knew fate would crap on her soon. As for her mother, it's clear that she was delirious from her illness. Next time you suffer from a fever, see if you can think clearly. Odds are you won't.

Accident or not, it's clear that this broke her. A lot of injustices have been thrown her way, this latest one right after she had a reason to be hopeful. It might even be that things would have gone in a completely different direction if de Polignac had acknowledged the act instead of driving off and flaunting her status.

So Oscar is going to teach Rosalie swordplay... Well, her father did command her to practice her skills instead of thinking about the fate of the commoners. She's simply following his orders.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

Mar 31, 2014 5:48 PM

so Oscar's finally taken Rosalie under his wing... I wonder if Rosalie will meet with Jeanne at Versailles... the plot is getting better and better! I can't wait to see the next episode ^^

Apr 1, 2014 2:11 PM

Confucius said:
MagEarwhig said:

They need traffic lights

Yeah, people need to watch where they're walking. Love how the nobles don't even care that they hit people with the carriages too

Oct 1, 2014 3:19 PM

As soon as Rosalie got the job I knew that something bad was gonna happen >,>

Mar 9, 2015 5:32 PM

it was an alright episode, better than that ridiculous war between Marie and du Barry

well glad to see a villain who isn't necessary crazy, she even kinda feels guilty about killing a person....oh goody what a saint we have

May 26, 2015 9:42 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

Oh, I get it. The reason why I'm so irked by the aristocracy is because the anime doing things right. I question the manner which everyone acts, as it seems so literal in creating guilty and victim parties. However, this most certainly sets the stage for revolution. An important element here though is how we, as the viewer, can understand Marie's mannerisms and how her bubbly nature can be seen as a blatant disregard towards the people. This actually does make her seem tragic, for in the anime, she has no ill intentions. Second is the presence of Oscar and Andre, whom react the same way which someone watching this anime might. This shows that the anime does consider the story from a third person view, one apart from the aristocracy, those in royalty, and the destitute.

That being said, seeing Oscar cursing nobles is a step to creating an imbalance. For some reason, it's quite easy to sympathize with those whom are suffering. Perhaps I'm simply inserting my own views into this, but even still, it all seems too blatant and convenient to create conflict. Or, again, perhaps this is the true nature of things, which very easily fanned the flames of revolution. My biggest concern so far is how this all seems so straightforward, but because it's so blatant, it shows the striking disconnect between the rich and poor. For Oscar and Andre, as well as the viewer, the absurdity is just so jarring.

I'm being critical, and will continue being critical, of Rose of Versailles because I believe that I believe that it's something great. Because of this though, small missteps are more apparent since everything else seems right. I love the fact that I can pick apart this show, even at this early stage, because it shows that Rose of Versailles taut and rich full of substance. Regardless of whether any underlying themes I see are intentional, I appreciate that this show presents the opportunity to dig into its story and characters.

Sep 23, 2015 10:33 AM

Poor Rosalie... But I guess she couldn't help, it RUNS in the family.
(Oh God, kill me)

Its kinda weird how Oscar is helping someone to commit murder...

Jan 7, 2016 5:15 AM

LMAO, why is Oscar helping someone murdering a famous person inside the Court ? XD. Nice meme.

Jul 10, 2016 4:01 PM

So she just happens to FINALLY find work for no particular reason at all, just an "ok start tomorrow" then seconds later her mother gets run down. Suuuure. Gotta heighten that tragedy by any means necessary, right?

I'm very disappointed with the awful writing in this series, I expected so much more.

Jul 8, 2017 3:15 AM

Rosalie got a job! What could possibly go wrong? Oooh, of course her mother dies after getting hit by a carriage, and the noble is an asshole again and just leaves.

And Oscar just decides to train her so she can take revenge, ok.

RoV has 26 episodes left to prove me why it deserves a place, not to the top 200, but to the top 1000 of MAL, this anime is just awful so far.

Sep 25, 2017 11:39 PM
another one gets hit by a carriage. i know she's sick but how can one die from that.
anyway, why would oscar encourage her revenge? oh well, i actually like rosalie but it's kinda no one's fault. she should have helped them, though.

Nov 22, 2017 3:53 AM

Can people like watch where they're walking in this show lmao. I know Rosalie's mom was sick but still it's not like there aren't any carriages on the streets daily

What Oscar is doing is kind of dumb, I think, because she lives there and she is gonna help Rosalie take revenge against a noble person who also lives there. It's like she's betraying the people she works for. On a side note, it wasn't exactly Polignac's fault because she wasn't driving the carriage or anything. It was definitely a dick move to abandon Rosalie's mom instead of offering help, but I don't think this equals 'killing' her, as Rosalie put it.
Marie Antoinette is a JoJo

Dec 11, 2017 3:02 PM

Rosalie is also on her way to the court,so it probably won't take long until she meets her sister again. Also wonder when everyone fill out about her being a noble.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.