Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2008 1:54 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"The Secret of the Angel"

Oscar and Andre return to their manor. Polignac manipulates Antoinete into giving her family undeserved wealth and ranking, causing resentment among the nobles. Oscar tells her father about everything she had seen in Arras, but is rebuked for her rule-breaking and told to ignore the peasants. Rosalie finds a job at Beltin Dressmakers---right before her mother is run over by Polignac's carriage. Before she dies, her mother tells her that she is not her real child, and that her real mother was someone called "Martine Gabrielle". Rosalie is comforted by Bernard Chatelet, a news reporter who promises to help her whenever she needs it. Swearing to avenge her mother's death, she heads towards Versailles, and mistakes Madame Jarjayes for Polignac. Oscar foils her attempt to stab the Madame. After hearing her story, Oscar takes her in as her protege so she could enter court and avenge her mother. synopsis courtesy of Wikipedia

Comments: Oh Antoinette, she's so clueless. She is only making her situation worse.

-more "father slaps"
-Rosalie got a job! Yay! ...nevermind D=
-how many ppl get wacked by speeding carriages in this show?
-Martine Gabrielle?
-Polignac seems manipulative, but not evil. She was just desperate and took advantage of a situation.
-enter Bernard Chatelet, will he be important in the future?
-Oscar has an apprentice? *thumbs up*
-what has that other evil lil' b*tch, Jeanne been up to?
Jan 20, 2009 8:40 AM

Oct 2007
Hummm... I wonder why was Rosalie given into someone else' care... I mean, there must be a real reason for that... you don't just give up your child just like that, do you?

Polignac is a biiig coward... and she has no sense or responsibility, so she's just okay for being a noble. pmph

I'm burious about that boy as well... and can't w8 to see Rosalie fencing XD...

the ending pic was kind'a spooky tho... they either got Oscar's grin wrong, either Oscar is not what we were made think she is... hummm...
Feb 15, 2009 9:58 PM

May 2007
You know it was Rosalie's mom fault, she should have looked both ways, and she had a little time to react. Otherwise I like the idea of an apprentice for Oscar.
My anime list
Apr 21, 2009 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
I know Oscar is kind, but I don't really see why she'd take Rosalie in as an apprentice just like that...

For a second there I thought we would lose two moms this episode.. ;_;

DonKangolJones said:

-Polignac seems manipulative, but not evil. She was just desperate and took advantage of a situation.

Yeah, I dislike her a little less now that she at least she feels guilty about the situation with Rosalie.

As for Martine Gabrielle... well, if you know your historical figures, this one isn't too hard to figure out. >D
May 25, 2009 7:30 PM

May 2008
So Rosalie wants to kill someone and Oscar is so willing to train her, wat

Also is it wrong that I laughed when I saw Rosalie's mother about get hit by a carriage? Characters in this show need to stop aimlessly walking in the middle of the road.
Feb 10, 2011 10:19 PM

May 2010
MagEarwhig said:

Also is it wrong that I laughed when I saw Rosalie's mother about get hit by a carriage? Characters in this show need to stop aimlessly walking in the middle of the road.

They need traffic lights
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 26, 2011 4:50 PM

Sep 2009
Ahhh it's all so frustrating!
Antoinetttttte RAWR

but generally I'm loving this anime.
I feel like it's helping me understand Utena better ^^

my friend teased for me watching sumn from 1979 but screw them!
Sep 4, 2011 9:00 AM

Feb 2010
DonKangolJones said:

-more "father slaps"
-Rosalie got a job! Yay! ...nevermind D=
-how many ppl get wacked by speeding carriages in this show?
-Martine Gabrielle?
-enter Bernard Chatelet, will he be important in the future?
-Oscar has an apprentice? *thumbs up*
-what has that other evil lil' b*tch, Jeanne been up to?

Pretty sums up my thoughts about the episode. So far not many characters have been introduced that don't reappear sometime, so I guess we'll see Bernard again in the future.

It was also good to see Oscar drifting more and more towards a radical anti-noble disposition, and with Rosalie there is finally some action that Oscar can take to help a commoner (though in fact she's not) against nobility.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 4, 2011 11:42 PM

Jun 2009
Why am I getting the feeling that Oscar is going to ultimately side with the commoners? Well, she couldn't, because I'm sure the normal people see her as being as bad as Antoinette just because she is a noble. But, really, I suppose it's far to early to tell how this series is going to end up.

I to thought it was odd that Oscar helped Rosalie just like that and that it was kind of cheesy for her mother to get hit by that cart.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 22, 2012 7:02 PM
Aug 2010
The plot is developing in a very interesting way.

Oct 1, 2012 2:55 AM

Sep 2008
insan3soldiern said:
Why am I getting the feeling that Oscar is going to ultimately side with the commoners? Well, she couldn't, because I'm sure the normal people see her as being as bad as Antoinette just because she is a noble. But, really, I suppose it's far to early to tell how this series is going to end up.

I to thought it was odd that Oscar helped Rosalie just like that and that it was kind of cheesy for her mother to get hit by that cart.

I'll just be totally unoriginal and echo all your thoughts.

Pretty sure that Oscar already is ultimately on the side of the commoners, and maybe she'll ditch her noble status? Or work in the commoners' favours from behind the scenes, within the courts of Versailles?

Definitely a bit cheesy for yet another character to get hit by a carriage... Makes me wonder if death-by-carriage-accident was common before the advent of crosswalks and traffic lights.
Oct 8, 2012 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
I thought Rosalie's mother was too out of it to really know what she was doing when she was crossing the street. You'd think she would have gotten dressed or put on shoes or something if she was okay. (Well, and if she had anything else to wear.)

Oh man, if Rosalie is going to be a noble, you think they're gonna raise some more conflict between her and Jeanne?
Feb 13, 2013 1:41 AM

Sep 2010
Geez Rosalie, Jeanne, and their mother sure like to play in traffic. xD

So I guess Rosalie will become of noble status now eventually? It pretty much spoils that in the ending where she is wearing a better dress than the old ragged one she had on.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 21, 2013 10:20 PM

Oct 2012
Look both ways before crossing the street, ladies! Sheesh, you'd think they would have learned by now.
Oct 14, 2013 11:21 PM

Jul 2008
Ugh and the tragedies just keep rolling. The tension is getting worse. I wonder when it finally is going to break?
Jan 2, 2014 6:47 AM

Feb 2012
Stop look listen before you cross the street.
Mar 10, 2014 10:28 AM

Jul 2013
Oh, the poor unfortunate girl finally get's lucked out.

Nothing bad is so not going to happen.
Mar 15, 2014 10:56 PM

Sep 2012
The moment Rosalie got the job, I knew fate would crap on her soon. As for her mother, it's clear that she was delirious from her illness. Next time you suffer from a fever, see if you can think clearly. Odds are you won't.

Accident or not, it's clear that this broke her. A lot of injustices have been thrown her way, this latest one right after she had a reason to be hopeful. It might even be that things would have gone in a completely different direction if de Polignac had acknowledged the act instead of driving off and flaunting her status.

So Oscar is going to teach Rosalie swordplay... Well, her father did command her to practice her skills instead of thinking about the fate of the commoners. She's simply following his orders.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Mar 31, 2014 5:48 PM

Jan 2014
so Oscar's finally taken Rosalie under his wing... I wonder if Rosalie will meet with Jeanne at Versailles... the plot is getting better and better! I can't wait to see the next episode ^^
Apr 1, 2014 2:11 PM

Dec 2011
Confucius said:
MagEarwhig said:

They need traffic lights

Yeah, people need to watch where they're walking. Love how the nobles don't even care that they hit people with the carriages too

Oct 1, 2014 3:19 PM

Mar 2012
As soon as Rosalie got the job I knew that something bad was gonna happen >,>
Mar 9, 2015 5:32 PM

Apr 2014
it was an alright episode, better than that ridiculous war between Marie and du Barry

well glad to see a villain who isn't necessary crazy, she even kinda feels guilty about killing a person....oh goody what a saint we have
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2015 9:42 PM

Jan 2010
Oh, I get it. The reason why I'm so irked by the aristocracy is because the anime doing things right. I question the manner which everyone acts, as it seems so literal in creating guilty and victim parties. However, this most certainly sets the stage for revolution. An important element here though is how we, as the viewer, can understand Marie's mannerisms and how her bubbly nature can be seen as a blatant disregard towards the people. This actually does make her seem tragic, for in the anime, she has no ill intentions. Second is the presence of Oscar and Andre, whom react the same way which someone watching this anime might. This shows that the anime does consider the story from a third person view, one apart from the aristocracy, those in royalty, and the destitute.

That being said, seeing Oscar cursing nobles is a step to creating an imbalance. For some reason, it's quite easy to sympathize with those whom are suffering. Perhaps I'm simply inserting my own views into this, but even still, it all seems too blatant and convenient to create conflict. Or, again, perhaps this is the true nature of things, which very easily fanned the flames of revolution. My biggest concern so far is how this all seems so straightforward, but because it's so blatant, it shows the striking disconnect between the rich and poor. For Oscar and Andre, as well as the viewer, the absurdity is just so jarring.

I'm being critical, and will continue being critical, of Rose of Versailles because I believe that I believe that it's something great. Because of this though, small missteps are more apparent since everything else seems right. I love the fact that I can pick apart this show, even at this early stage, because it shows that Rose of Versailles taut and rich full of substance. Regardless of whether any underlying themes I see are intentional, I appreciate that this show presents the opportunity to dig into its story and characters.
Sep 23, 2015 10:33 AM

Mar 2012
Poor Rosalie... But I guess she couldn't help, it RUNS in the family.
(Oh God, kill me)

Its kinda weird how Oscar is helping someone to commit murder...
Jan 7, 2016 5:15 AM
Nov 2014
LMAO, why is Oscar helping someone murdering a famous person inside the Court ? XD. Nice meme.
Jul 10, 2016 4:01 PM

Feb 2009
So she just happens to FINALLY find work for no particular reason at all, just an "ok start tomorrow" then seconds later her mother gets run down. Suuuure. Gotta heighten that tragedy by any means necessary, right?

I'm very disappointed with the awful writing in this series, I expected so much more.
Jul 8, 2017 3:15 AM

Jul 2015
Rosalie got a job! What could possibly go wrong? Oooh, of course her mother dies after getting hit by a carriage, and the noble is an asshole again and just leaves.

And Oscar just decides to train her so she can take revenge, ok.

RoV has 26 episodes left to prove me why it deserves a place, not to the top 200, but to the top 1000 of MAL, this anime is just awful so far.
Sep 25, 2017 11:39 PM
May 2012
another one gets hit by a carriage. i know she's sick but how can one die from that.
anyway, why would oscar encourage her revenge? oh well, i actually like rosalie but it's kinda no one's fault. she should have helped them, though.
Nov 22, 2017 3:53 AM

Mar 2014
Can people like watch where they're walking in this show lmao. I know Rosalie's mom was sick but still it's not like there aren't any carriages on the streets daily

What Oscar is doing is kind of dumb, I think, because she lives there and she is gonna help Rosalie take revenge against a noble person who also lives there. It's like she's betraying the people she works for. On a side note, it wasn't exactly Polignac's fault because she wasn't driving the carriage or anything. It was definitely a dick move to abandon Rosalie's mom instead of offering help, but I don't think this equals 'killing' her, as Rosalie put it.
Dec 11, 2017 3:02 PM

Nov 2016
Rosalie is also on her way to the court,so it probably won't take long until she meets her sister again. Also wonder when everyone fill out about her being a noble.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 3, 2019 2:43 AM

Jul 2017
lmao this anime is so dumb
"Hey, let me, a royal guard, train you and let you infiltrate the palace to kill one of the people I'm supposed to protect because I believed your sob story just like that" t. oscaru
Sep 10, 2020 3:50 AM

Jul 2015
Poor Rosalie, after finally securing a job..to end up losing her mother by the nobles. Even though the mother isn't Rosalie's real mother, they still share a strong bond...and bad luck in getting hit by carriages... Well glad Oscar managed to stop her from making a grave mistake because of a mistaken identity and but kinda weird how she takes her under her wings considering her position.

Feb 8, 2021 7:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Getting run over by a carriage seems to be the most common cause of death after hunger and palace intrigue in pre revolutionary France.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 2, 2021 7:15 AM

Nov 2018
It's not even a tragic death anymore , because of Rosalie being hit so often it became a running gag in my head and I even giggled a bit.
They overexaggerate everything so much it becomes stupid.
Oscar is gonna be a part of revolution and not on queen's side it seems.

Rosalie is such an INFP I can't ... she's too clumsy to kill anyone and 0 planning abilities don't help either.
I hate everyone equally
Mar 29, 2021 9:07 PM

Aug 2018
I want Rosalie to find the woman who killed her mother and end her.

Apr 4, 2022 3:01 AM

Oct 2018
-Rosalie is asking the right question there. Why is her mum in the middle of a street when she should be resting on her bed?

-The least that Polignac could do was check up on her. They need to teach morals up there in Versailles
~Spiritual Healing~

May 27, 2022 7:44 PM

Dec 2021
Farabeuf said:
Getting run over by a carriage seems to be the most common cause of death after hunger and palace intrigue in pre revolutionary France.

idk why but I fucking LOL at this statement .. so true

Why are so many ppl getting ran over in this series ?
May 30, 2022 4:17 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
kushmonatl said:
Farabeuf said:

idk why but I fucking LOL at this statement .. so true

Why are so many ppl getting ran over in this series ?

I don't know, found it bloody hilarious too. I wonder if it's that was in the source material too?

Horses are huge and strong and a kick from one can end you; and a big carriage I suppose has a lot of momentum, but they would make a lot of noise and one should be able to evade one easily enough.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 23, 2022 9:48 PM

Apr 2016
Not time to take down those nobles with la revolution, is time to get a student so she could go and get revenge against that rich woman, maybe Oscar is planning take them down one by one lol.
SafrichhJul 23, 2022 9:53 PM
Aug 29, 2022 11:21 AM

Jun 2007
I'm rolling my eyes so much at this show, not sure why I haven't dropped this shit yet lol

it was her mom's fault so actually Rosalie owes de Polignac for damaging her mental health (as the daughter of the true culprit). how's about that now?
"poor Rosalie"... yeah sure. two sisters are quite alike turns out

Abusaeed said:
lmao this anime is so dumb
"Hey, let me, a royal guard, train you and let you infiltrate the palace to kill one of the people I'm supposed to protect because I believed your sob story just like that" t. oscaru

and she wasn't even driving the cart... so it's even worse, Oscaru was ok with the "I'm going to kill the woman who was not driving the cart but she was inside so" bs

the whole thing often feels like it was written by a child
see you, space cowperson . . .
Nov 25, 2022 10:33 AM

May 2013
Another truly wonderful episode, the writing just keeps getting better, I can't wait to see what happens next!
Feb 5, 2023 11:55 PM
Apr 2012
"Imagine a family dinner where everyone must split one potato..."
Yeah the irony of this line from Oscar is something this anime never brings up:

Marie Antoinette POPULARIZED potato consumption in France.

She wore the blooms as part of her fashion, and that made the public more accepting of eating what was still feared as a possibly poisonous crop.
In other words, the same trendiness Marie participated in that ate into the people's taxes might have actually satiated the famine for a couple years.
Sep 14, 2023 9:34 AM
Jul 2023
The immediate heel turn for Polignac is crazy. She went from a somewhat well off peasant to ruthless noble in the span of two weeks. How could she not have developed any sympathy? I guess since nobles are able to get away with anything everybody wants to take full advantage once they have the power. It was the same thing with Du Barry and I bet there will be a similar result. Marie's excessive spending of taxpayer money is obviously fostering resentment within the populace as we saw last episode and now she's fostering resentment within the noble class for her promotion of Polignac. This series is really painting a good (yet obviously dramatized) version of why the French Revolution occurred.
Nov 12, 2023 9:54 PM

Oct 2012
This show is godlike dude. The way the real historical events are dramatized and everything proceeds like a tragic play, fate is written in stone... Beautiful.
Dec 2, 2023 12:15 AM

Apr 2017
I'm liking Polignac for a villain. Now, as cartoonishly evil as these villains are, they are realistic. Some rich people are sick and get amusement from hurting others. Some screw people over to better themselves, and to cover their tracks. That said, that doesn't mean that I have to like these cartoonishly evil villains that have no charisma. Some villains are pure evil and have charisma. Like the Joker from Batman. He's a charismatic villain that's always a fun watch on the screen. Then there's Joffrey from Game of Thrones. Both of them are evil just for the sake of amusement, and there's no redeemable qualities in either. Though the Joker is fun while Joffrey is just miserable. You hate watching Joffrey on the screen. Joffrey's not a villain that you love to hate, he's a villain that you hate to hate. That's my problem with some of the villains here. I didn't enjoy the Duke that Oscar had a duel with, Orleans is just boring, and Jeanne is just miserable. Madame Du Barry was at least amusing. Polignac isn't all that amusing, but I do like the hidden depth. She just wants what's best for her family, and is using her charms to do. She also has some guilt about running over Rosalie's mom, but she's not willing to tarnish her image of an angel, to do anything about it.

Oscar is becoming more radicalized and helping Rosalie. This is going to set off drama because Rosalie's sister, Jeanne, is making her way to Versailles. Plus, Polignac is in Versailles as well. Rosalie's two 'enemies' are in Versailles.
Apr 1, 10:04 PM
Jul 2020
Rosalie is really getting the worst luck! I wonder how well her transformation will be after Oscar’s training.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.