Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 9, 2012 9:58 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
KajiKaji's character appearing outside. Going out with his cousin (Shimono-san), whose the reason that karuta cards were made... to decorate his room!

About little kid (son of the woman in first story?) that appeared in last ep. who became popular poet, and the guy in first story in last ep. serves him since young. He's knowing a girl since young, but doesn't like to play with her because she's cute for smiling a lot. He tells the boy about the dance with the music. Midnight conversation between the boy and the girl. She describes frog's sound as singing because their life is shorter than human beings. He wants to get rid of the frogs, so he caught snakes. lol @ censoring the snake that was used to tease the girl.

The guy serving him decided to teach poetry instead of sword. Expressing feeling through poets is easier than talking. The guy who served him died right after that. Then they met when grew up (Morikubo-san). He told her to get another guy, but she said even though she hates him, she will try to love him since they are now husband and wife. He wrote a poet about the girl, who he became in love.

Another love story next ep.
tsubasaloverJul 10, 2012 2:56 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 9, 2012 12:57 PM
Jan 2012
I enjoyed the episode's sentiments; especially Yasuko's view on smaller creatures singing for life and how one should try to love the one they're with instead of seeking temporary relief in others. In an age of arranged marriages that's both a mature and strong philosophy, and clearly not something anyone could do. Happiness comes from effort, not magical circumstances.

Yet, of course, this is a fairy tale example where the mental abuse from Sadaakira actually stops, something that clearly not always is the case. Any man would be a fool if he didn't see how much there is to love about Yasuko.

The harsh reality however is what it is, and Yasuko would probably have plunged herself into despair eventually if Sadaakira hadn't changed his defensive, passive aggressive ways, no matter how strong her will - a person can only take so much.
Jul 9, 2012 1:00 PM

Dec 2011
Aww well that was a sweet story, its really interesting to hear these historical romances and the poems they write. Was really sad to hear that Narihira died at such as young age =/ I liked his character.

Well looking forward to see more sentimental romance :3

p.s Why did they censor the snakes? lol -_-
Jul 9, 2012 1:01 PM

Dec 2011
Sadaahira was a lil s***head I see. He looked like one during what little screentime he had in the first ep.

Just goes to show you that even rude men can be tamed by a woman.
Jul 9, 2012 1:11 PM

Jul 2010
That was actually really beautiful. I found it interesting, and I was sad to hear that Narihira died. Good episode, it's gotten me hooked a little more!

And can anyone explain why they censored the snakes? I'm taking it as sarcasm, but it feels so off-hand to me.
Jul 9, 2012 1:23 PM

Oct 2011
Snakes were weird
on the bright side they droped those strange facial expressions - and this episode looked way better.

I also liked the story.
Ok it was unrealistic a bit... but those stories are fairy tales so they are supposed to end well (or not as in real life). And I like this approach.

It slowly becomes one of my favorite shows this season :)
Jul 9, 2012 1:29 PM
Sep 2011
fishergirl16 said:

And can anyone explain why they censored the snakes? I'm taking it as sarcasm, but it feels so off-hand to me.

I believe it was done for comical effect.

Sadaakira was acting out of spite as he realized soon that he solely became the Emperor to clear the way for the ones who seeked for power. A smart boy actually, thus it's unfortunate that he chose to deal with that the way he did. Instead of coping with the situation he isolated himself, being a coward as his wife called him.
Jul 9, 2012 2:22 PM

Nov 2011
Time to take up poetry.

I'm glad they spent a whole episode on a single poem this time, and kept a loose connection between the stories. Not much else to add to what's been said, these stories are pretty straight-forward.
Jul 9, 2012 2:55 PM

Jan 2012
The episode was beautiful. This show is just too sweat. Looking forward to next episode.

Jul 9, 2012 5:07 PM

Sep 2011
i'm enjoying this show so much :3
it's so rare to find a girl like Yasuko <3

onzeedge said:
Happiness comes from effort, not magical circumstances.

exactly
Jul 9, 2012 6:02 PM

Oct 2007
Sadaakira is such a tsundere, isn't he?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 9, 2012 6:07 PM

Feb 2012
I liked Narihira, so it was sad to learn he died shortly after becoming part of his love's family.
This episode was very nice overall and the censored snakes gave me a laugh. Seemed weird to censor them, but i won't question their reasoning since i enjoyed it either way.
Jul 9, 2012 6:29 PM
Jul 2012
Emperor Yozei, the first tsundere Emperor of Japan.

TRIVIA:
The kanji for みなの川 ( Minano-gawa ) is originally 水無川 ( or 水無乃川 ), which literally means waterless river.
The flow of the Minano river is actually quite low until the river meets the Sakura river.
Another assignment 男女川 is derived from the names of the twin peaks ( 男体山 Mt. Male and 女体山 Mt. Female ) of Mt. Tsukuba, which serves as the river's source.
Furthermore, 男女 can be read as "nan" and "me" respectively, so the ladies-first version 女男川 can be read as "Menano-gawa", which sounds similar to the original.
Jul 9, 2012 7:44 PM

Oct 2008
Oh my, that was a lovely episode.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jul 9, 2012 8:29 PM

Jul 2009
odd i actually teared up when they said Narihara died...only had one episode of him and a bit of the second and yet i got so attached. It's sad to die young :(
Jul 9, 2012 9:03 PM

Dec 2008
Asakurabaka said:
p.s Why did they censor the snakes? lol -_-

I think it was because at the time they were eating the frogs you can kind of see the frog's half body outside the snake's mouth. I guess they wanted to blur out the bloody murder of those poor frogs?
Jul 9, 2012 10:01 PM
Jun 2012
That episode was rather good. I certainly wasn't expecting something so sad to happen... ;_;
Jul 9, 2012 10:43 PM

Feb 2010
Siva said:

YES. I was just thinking that... ahhaha. Such a Tsundere.
Jul 9, 2012 10:46 PM

Dec 2007
Like river Minano, flowing down from the peak of Mt. Tsukuba,
Love will deepen; Until it becomes an abyss.

Pretty straightforward poem this time from what I see. But thanks goes to poppei:
poppei said:
The kanji for みなの川 ( Minano-gawa ) is originally 水無川 ( or 水無乃川 ), which literally means waterless river.
The flow of the Minano river is actually quite low until the river meets the Sakura river.

This puts things in a nice perspective :) And yeah, the kanji 男 and 女 mean "man" and "woman" respectively, so "男女川" means "river of a man and a woman" (lit. "man-woman river")

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jul 9, 2012 11:13 PM

Sep 2008
I expected a "Satonaka".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2012 1:43 AM

Jan 2011
This was another lovely story behind the poem and was empathetic for both the deposed emperor and his wife--perhaps too empathetic The biography of the emperor Yozei paints him in an unflattering light--particularly his habit of murdering retainers both before and after his abdication. It is always a little difficult to sort out the truth when your enemies write the histories about you, but it certainly looks like he was rather more a yangire than a tsundere. Interesting to note that even though he wrote the poem to Yasuko, they did not have any children together while he fathered nine on a number of other wives and court ladies.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 10, 2012 6:35 AM

Sep 2008
Another nice story. This show is really good so far. I hope they don't ruin it later on, though I don't see how they can do that.
Jul 10, 2012 7:03 AM

May 2009
Oh, this is so beautiful!! :')
The romance is just too sweet.. And I LOVE the poems.. ah..!

^_^
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Jul 10, 2012 5:05 PM

Feb 2012
I didn't really like this show when I first watched ep.1, but now I'm starting to like it :D
Jul 10, 2012 7:48 PM
Jan 2011
Siva said:

Haha, exactly what I thought - 'what tyrant, he's just a tsundere'.

Well, censored snakes were... weird. Without knowing the context someone would think they were dildos :|.

Good episode, not really realistic, but enjoyable.
Jul 10, 2012 9:14 PM

Jun 2010
Hmm. I preferred the first episode over this.
Jul 11, 2012 12:31 AM

Aug 2011
This is really cute actually. Are these stories based off of fact, or are they completely made up? I'm pretty sure the characters are real right?
Jul 11, 2012 3:09 AM

Jan 2008
I like this episode and the main charas love story. They know know each other since their childhood days. The typical boy who would bully his crush. I had many laughs at those scenes. A very nice episode, a story that spans some time and relationship progression.
Jul 11, 2012 4:45 AM

May 2010
Today's story was better than the other ones.
Jul 11, 2012 8:00 AM

Feb 2009
Inugirlz said:
odd i actually teared up when they said Narihara died...only had one episode of him and a bit of the second and yet i got so attached. It's sad to die young :(

Same here. I was pretty shocked when I felt the waterworks coming on! XD I really did like this episode; I am now confident that I will watch the rest of the series!
Jul 11, 2012 11:11 AM
Jul 2012
Sadaakira is such a tsundere
Jul 12, 2012 1:43 AM

Oct 2011
Narahira died, I tought that he's going to be main character in this show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2012 3:22 AM
Apr 2011
I really enjoyed this one! I felt invested in their characters.

The only crude part really was the snakes. I don't know whether the director had any control over the censoring but perhaps the eating of the frog was far more grotesque than anticipated. Just the idea of Sadaakira showing Yasuko such a thing really felt disgusting. I understand kids do the opposite to someone they like to show how MUCH they don't like them. I have to say though, at that moment, I really hated Sadaakira too.
Jul 13, 2012 5:04 AM

Nov 2008
I really liked this episode; both Sadaakira and Yasuko were interesting characters and I liked them both.

Sadaakira was really a little shit but at least we got to know why and I just felt sympathy for him, tsundere indeed. And when Narihira died I was really sad, I didn't even expect to be so sad about his death, dammit :c
I liked Yasuko's attitude, glad to see she'll be able to handle Sadaakira.

Jul 16, 2012 4:56 PM

Aug 2007
Maybe this story is repetitive (a mischievous kid that doesn't know how to express his feelings) but I really Like this story
Jul 23, 2012 10:56 AM

Jun 2010
mijuku-nii said:

'what tyrant, he's just a tsundere'

I'll be over here completely ignoring historical context and sticking with this.

Anyway, I really like this show so far, and I do admit I teared up when Narihira died. Did not expect that from such a short scene.
Jul 23, 2012 9:20 PM

Jul 2012
Love this show. It's so interesting and very different to watch compared to every other series that came out this summer.
Episode 2 made me raise my rating for this show even higher.

I still gotta catch up and watch episode 3 and 4. XD
Jul 24, 2012 11:38 PM

Oct 2011
Agg that was just so adorable~ i liked how they blured the snakes ..it was funny
sad how he died tho
Jul 25, 2012 7:17 PM

Apr 2012
The censored snakes reminded me of the centipede sketch from Daily Lives of High School Boys (which is certainly not a show I ever expected to compare to this one).

As for the rest of the episode, it was nice to have it dedicated to just one story/couple this time around. Now this particular romance was not that interesting to me; but, on the whole, taking more time to develop a given relationship will allow it to have more impact - something I thought was missing in the first episode. Still, this series has been nice so far and I look forward to catching up on the next couple of episodes.
Jul 5, 2014 7:23 AM

Aug 2013
marisou said:

Well, censored snakes were... weird. Without knowing the context someone would think they were dildos :|.

LOL! Comment from two years ago, you made my day XD
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 8, 2014 7:58 AM
Mar 2012
Vyudali said:
I liked Narihira, so it was sad to learn he died shortly after becoming part of his love's family.
Yeah, same here.

I wondered whether the snakes got automatically censored because they looked like... But it seems it was intentional. Maybe otherwise the audience would dislike the brat too much.
Dec 12, 2014 11:09 AM

Jun 2012
These tales are so beautiful.
Jun 3, 2015 10:11 AM

Feb 2014
Wow this episode, holy shit. Sadaakira and the snakes for the lolz, his character was awesome in this. Was a jerk, rude, and could care less but he knew his situation and cared enough to show concern in his own way to Yasuko and the ppl he cared for. Could be just him being a tsundere but w/e lol

would prob be the best ep of this series for me idk what can top this lol 10/10

edit: Yasuko seriously looks like the MeiMei art from PAD
GenocyberJun 3, 2015 10:17 AM

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Aug 24, 2015 11:26 AM

May 2012
This sure was a lovely second episode, quite like this story and looking forward to see what the next story will offer us!
Feb 10, 2016 2:32 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Noo, Narihira ;_; He became so tame from his earlier years. I'm glad his words still rang within Sadaakira, and Sadaakira wrote a poem for Yasuko to express the feelings he couldn't out loud. He was such an annoying brat though, ugh. I understand that he didn't want his position and everything, but still, that doesn't mean you should be a dick to other people. The way he spoke was so rude too. But overall, it was a very nice episode.

onzeedge said:
I enjoyed the episode's sentiments; especially Yasuko's view on smaller creatures singing for life and how one should try to love the one they're with instead of seeking temporary relief in others. In an age of arranged marriages that's both a mature and strong philosophy, and clearly not something anyone could do. Happiness comes from effort, not magical circumstances.

I completely agree, this was a good take-away from this episode. Of course it could've ended badly and this wouldn't work if there was abuse in the relationship, but generally, both parties have put in the time and effort to love each other, if they have to spend the rest of the their lives together. I said a similar thing in another anime (can't remember which). It's true that when there were (and still are) arranged marriages, the couple end up falling for each other, or at least gain some level of affection. There was a quote I once found that said something like, "in our time, when things were broken, we tried to fix it." It's idealistic, but it's also better to try than to give up (again, not always, there are different circumstances).
Oct 14, 2019 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
So sad Narihira died. 😢 Sadaakira is lucky to have Yasuko.
Oct 12, 2020 8:10 AM
Aug 2019
Sadaakira sure was a brat but he was tsundere, he and Ysako can work on their relationship as Yusako says.
oh and I thought Narhira will be in the series longer oh well he sure had a short life.

Jan 19, 2022 5:22 AM

Feb 2012
A good episode. I liked especially the musings on the nature of poetry, how it can be serious precisely because it's uncertain whether it's serious or not.
Jan 11, 2023 4:54 AM
May 2020
Fantastic. Tsundere romance for 1st half
Jul 2, 2023 12:22 PM

Jan 2021
I just realized that even though the song is pleasant to listen to, the OP and ED don't fit the atmosphere of the anime.

Narihira died young? Why.. how come.. what caused it.. but I see, so he really dedicated his love to Takaiko by taking care of her and her family until he died. Sadaakira is a tsundere! I was a bit upset, but then I remembered that his mother was a tsundere too :'> Yasuko is a sweet and mature girl, thankfully Sadaakira can start to speak his mind and open his heart, it's thanks to Yasuko.

What's both funny and crazy is, I can't imagine a little girl having to see a snake gobbled up a frog in front of her eyes. That's horrible. I totally expect her to slap him.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 24, 2012

49 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 5, 2023 12:42 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 17, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 10:59 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 11 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 10, 2012

18 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 3, 2012

25 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 7:15 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 27, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 3:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.