Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 13 Discussion

Sep 24, 2012 10:46 AM
News Team
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
TV Tokyo not available on KeyHoleTV every time it's end or beginning of the season for some reason.

About how KajiKaji's character is in touched with poetry through Ohara-san's character through "love" (kind of like one of earlier love stories, or just another story that I've heard before). She can only "toy" with him for "love", but he really love her, who passed away later.

The papers of the poems on the screens are by him??
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

Sep 24, 2012 12:36 PM

So no love for Teiko :(
Lol Teiko's dad is funny
well this was a nice end I think...

Sep 24, 2012 12:56 PM
Spoony Bard

That was really beautiful, and sad. :)

I'm going to miss Utakoi.. it was a nice series. Not great, but it was still nice.
Got me reaaally enchanted at times, and I have good memories of it. :D

I give it a 7/10, overall <3

Sep 24, 2012 4:43 PM
News Team
It was an alright and relaxing series overall.

Wasn't too exciting but a refreshing watch. 6/10 for me.

Sep 24, 2012 6:29 PM
Wow.....that wasn't what I'd thought it'd be...especially since Teika's kind of the closest thing to a Narrator...and the hints that we got about him and Noriko in the OP...

I was expecting at least something a little more epic and maybe happier than the other poets. Instead, Teika got the shittiest backstory with his poor love dying!

Anyway...sad that this series is over with. I did enjoy this series for the most part, even if it did turn into a downer in the end. I"d probaly would give a 7.

And thank you Uta Koi...for now I plan to read The Tales of Genji and see if I can find The Pillow Book anywhere.

Sep 24, 2012 9:39 PM

Teika being so easily influenced made me laugh. And the 'koi' pun.. Ohgod.. xD
I will definitely miss this series.

Sep 24, 2012 9:41 PM

lmao i feel sorry for his dad XD
although Teika didn't get a happy ending
but the ending of the series itself was satisfying for me
6\10

Sep 25, 2012 2:14 AM

it sucks that Teika's love didn't fully mature with Noriko.

I'll rate it 8/10 because I like how each episode gives me mixed feeling; the last episode was a sad one, then the following episode would be a happy romance one. I also didn't expect much humor to be incorporated in this series since it's a historic dramatic anime, but good thing my expectations didnt meet.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket

Sep 25, 2012 2:26 PM

7/10

Sep 25, 2012 4:26 PM

i'm sad to see this series is over. this last ep wasn't the best but it was nice to see teika's story even if it was kind of sad. poor teika QQ

Sep 25, 2012 5:38 PM

I feel fairly positive about the series, I enjoy stories where matters don't always end in happiness. This last one I liked for the way it showed why Teika kept on doing this. For a love that could never be returned but the importance in that connection still. Even though it may not not be poetry there still is so much creative material out there that links people through the ages.

Sep 25, 2012 9:15 PM

This episode: 4/5
Overall: 9/10

I felt like this episode wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. If it were stronger, I would have rated the series with 10 possibly.
I don't really get why a lot of people are giving 6s and 7s. It's an brilliant, funny and unique yet underrated episodic series. I think it deserves way higher. So far, this has been the best one I've seen this summer. :3

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Sep 26, 2012 8:02 PM

Finally! Teika's story! I love how his tune changed once he met Noriko lol

8/10.

Even though some stores were weaker than others... there was so much beauty within this series! This show is a hidden gem, and it's criminal more people haven't seen it.... especially with all the crap that aired this season.

Sep 27, 2012 1:48 AM

Aaaah... I didn't want to watch this episode when it aired so I waited and waited, knowing it's the series finale. This episode goes full circle with the first and the rest of the series.
Beautiful story.
9/10
The world is the illusion of the real world.

Sep 27, 2012 5:11 AM

All the poems were beautiful. I am going to miss this show.

Sep 27, 2012 7:44 PM

"Koi? Koi?! KOI!?"
LOL. That background. Both a funny and touching episode.

Keita's story is so sad. D: But it's great to see him other than those very wacky openings. Now we know his motivation.

Enjoyed this series so much. 7/10

Sep 28, 2012 2:45 AM

Teika's dad is the best thing of the whole series ww

Sep 28, 2012 9:27 AM

Aww, Teika's backstory. I really wanted to see it. I'm glad they did it.

Vyudali said:
"Koi? Koi?! KOI!?"
LOL. That background.

^ I lol'd from that too. :D

Overall, I give these series 7/10. I enjoyed it.

Sep 29, 2012 4:43 AM

I'm going to miss the Outkast ending :(

Sep 30, 2012 7:01 AM

8/10
Weak season but still uta koi surpised me. There wont be anytime soon, shows like this , i wished there were more. For me, best on romance & drama, thus, my fav of the season. Just Humanty has declined is close behind.
Modified by huntx, Oct 1, 2012 3:14 AM

Sep 30, 2012 10:05 AM

8,5/10
By far, Uta Koi is the anime that I most enjoyed of this season
The opening, ending, comedy, the selected poems. Everything is just right.

Some stories might not have been great, but each poem is enriching and my heart jumped with each one of them.

Sep 30, 2012 2:29 PM

I was so close to crying for Teika and Noriko. D'': Teiikkaaa~~ D'': <3<3 NEEDS A HUG. But his finality at the end was great.

I really loved this anime, since I'm a pretty big fan of poetry myself. It was really worth watching.

Oct 1, 2012 12:40 AM

fataverde said:
Aaaah... I didn't want to watch this episode when it aired so I waited and waited, knowing it's the series finale. This episode goes full circle with the first and the rest of the series.
Beautiful story.
9/10

Same here, I didnt want to watch it and did it till today, I loved this series.

Oct 1, 2012 5:51 AM

Damn no one can be happy in this show, it was enjoyable though.

7/10

Oct 2, 2012 11:06 AM

Nice story to end with. :)
Teika's, that is.
Almost all of them were unfulfilled love yet they still gave a happy feeling. ;) Nice one. I decided to give it a 10/10.

Oct 4, 2012 6:23 PM

This series left me in tears with its startling simple, yet sentimental storytelling. I have said this many times, but I fervently believe Uta Koi was the sleeper hit of the season. It truly was a pleasant suprise: such an underrated series. ALL MY FEELS
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor

Oct 6, 2012 5:05 PM

Two great sources for this anime: the 100 Poets anthology, and the actual biographies of the personages of the Heian court who composed or received the poems chosen by Teika. Any show that can bring a tear to my eye every episode (as well as lots of laughter) deserves high marks. I thought this was worth 10/10. It certainly should average more than it currently has in MAL's stats.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 13, 2012 12:40 AM

bitter sweet love story arent for me but well this series was ok
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"

Oct 14, 2012 11:57 AM

I had a dream that I forgot to watch the second season of Uta Koi and I was like "NO I MUST WATCH IT" but then I woke up and it turns out there's only one season after all. ):

Y U NO GET SECOND SEASON?! I want to see all of the 100 poems animated. ;v;

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Oct 27, 2012 3:47 AM

This is it.The end............but i am going to miss this.

Feb 2, 2013 2:44 PM
So, Teika completed the whole anthology because poetry for him transformed into the sense of life...
Overall 9/10, especially for episodes with 99-day-visiter, Sei Shonagon, two childhood friends and final episode.

Feb 5, 2013 1:06 AM

9/10

Its hard to see animes with true love stories. Life cant be pink always.

Jul 6, 2014 2:34 AM

"Koi? Koi? Koi?!" *koi fish background* LOL!

Ah this show. It dangles the sweetest love story only to take it away, stomps on your bleeding heart and pokes it with a stick. Sweet pain >__<

You know I just realized I was so wrong to think women in Japan during the olden times were very conservative. If this show was to be believed then they're much more liberal than say during the Taisho period.

10/10. I'm such a sucker for well-done romance stories. I want a second season :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Nov 15, 2014 11:22 PM

Not my favorite episode but a worthy sendoff nonetheless.

I wish I could give 8.5/10's on MAL but eh. 8/10 is good. Would have been 9/10 of the first three episodes weren't so awful. The rest of the series more than made up for them in quality, though.

Dec 20, 2014 3:39 PM

Well the best thing in this show remained the opening and ending songs.

Dec 29, 2014 5:29 PM

Yoshitaka and Masako were the best.

OP was great too.

And this is how I enjoy my poetry: somewhat witty, many expressions in a few lines, free, meaningful, subtle, and with simple elegance. Also easy to understand, but with different ways to interpret it.
Modified by Mirorin, Dec 29, 2014 5:37 PM

Jan 2, 2015 10:53 PM

So my this is my third summer rewatching Uta Koi in the beach with my boyfriend. Pretty much feels like a need at this point. Beautiful, as always. It makes me remember why its in one of my top 5 favorite anime.

Mar 1, 2015 7:01 PM

Outstanding anime. The best Josei.

I love this episode as well. 5/5

My favorite episodes were the ones that the couple just could not be together for different situations. Those were the ones that really hit me.

As for the episodes that the couples were able to get together, my favorite episodes were episode 2 and the second half of episode 7.

For the anime, I give it a 9.5 out of 10. I cant give it a 10/10 because of that pointless episode 6.

Best Josei ever. One of the best animes I have ever seen.
Modified by ooo333, Mar 1, 2015 7:07 PM

Mar 3, 2015 1:16 AM

Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful.
Probably the 2nd best josei anime ever.
4.5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 2, 2015 10:46 PM
v_v

9/10

Most of the short stories were pretty engaging, and it gave me the motivation to read some of the literature referenced in the series like the Tale of Genji and the Pillow Book.

Jun 20, 2015 1:12 PM
Seriously, not a lot of happy ends in this series, are there?

Aug 25, 2015 10:11 AM

An overall pretty decent ending I must say. The start and ending of this series were pretty good but the middle part was a bit strange as they went to a different path all the suddenly, but at least they catched up again in the end making up for that fluke.

All in all a pretty decent anime if you ask me.

Apr 11, 2016 1:20 AM
Anime Moderator
This was a very charming and bittersweet series. It was very fitting to end with Teika's "love story," as it also gave us more understanding on why he was considerate of Shonagon honoring Teishi's wished; as he also honored what Noriko said about living through poetry.

My favorites were the three friends (Narihira, Komachi, Yasuhide), Shonagun's three episodes with Sanetaka and Yukinari, and Munesada's 99 days. I think there were only 2 episodes that I didn't care for much, but every episode had an interesting theme, or were thoughtful. Aside from the diverse romance stories, the most enjoyable part must've been thinking about the end of the episodes, reading the comments, and posting my thoughts here. While this ended up as a slow watch for me (I found it difficult to watch more than one episode per day), but I feel kind of empty now that it's over. Definitely a very special and refreshing anime.

May 13, 4:47 PM

Not even the final episode was any good. This whole "make-believe" then "omg we in love for real" trope is so cliche, and they never use this shit back in the days unlike now. The women in this series fall in love very easily with whoever being paired up with them in the show, like they've never met any better guys, ridiculous. The "friend" concept is also absent in this show, men and women cannot be friend, you either fuck each other or you don't talk with each other unless it's your job. For ladies who are so conservative, so much they needed to hide their face to another men, they sure spread their legs easily, eh? I thought high ranking daughters back in the day had to keep their virginity until they're married? No? Okay.

Oh, and apparently certain guys in this show can get away with sexual harassment, girls in this show love that stuff. Show some self respect, ey?

The poem itself is meaningful, very deep but the stories written by this particular author didn't work very well. The ending song still fucking sucks.

FWIW, Kinto is probably the best character, and Sei Shonagon could have been a great character but ultimately ruined by yet another forced romance where she doesn't mind being insulted for being a woman. If I didn't read it wrong, the second guy she was with basically wrote her a poem saying she's a fucking whore, and the guy even "joked" (though I have no idea how insult becomes a joke nowadays) that if she doesn't show her face she's an ugly bitch.

Oh well, at least I can delete this disappointing series from my HDD.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control