3It was OK
8.4%
2Disliked it
0.8%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.6
131 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2008 12:59 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What an episode. Hoshino blows off Tanabe, and then Hakim betrays Hoshino. Who knew he, after such resolve, just wanted to save his homeland, just like Lavie, and like the new Claire. It looks like heading to Jupiter will be delayed and/or impossible this time around. I wonder what Hoshi will do now?
Sep 5, 2008 4:47 AM

Jan 2008
So many things happened O_O
Oct 23, 2008 5:06 AM

Feb 2008
i'd been expecting it for awhile, they certainly dropped enough hints. i am kinda surprised that neither of them died tho.
Nov 5, 2008 2:58 PM

Jun 2007
I knew Hakim wasnt what it seemed!
Hachimaki and Tanabe were told the same thing ._.
Feb 16, 2009 8:14 AM
Sep 2008
man I knew hakim was up to something.
Apr 17, 2009 9:21 PM

Sep 2008
Now Hachi and Tanabe can be reunited!
Feb 21, 2010 7:42 AM
Apr 2009
I just wish Hoshino dies.
May 17, 2010 6:48 PM

Sep 2009
I knew Hakim was up to something....but wow, he actually got the chance to do it. I think Hachirota still cares for Tanabe, but he is confused or something right now. Towards the end it looked like Hachirota might change for the better.
May 18, 2010 12:01 PM

Mar 2010
Hachirota being there at the time of the explosion is going to make him seem quite suspicious. And maybe Colin is trying to romance Tanabe? One thing is for sure, if Hachirota makes it back to Seven, things are going to get interesting.

Jun 16, 2010 4:17 AM
Mar 2010
That credits music can be really inappropriate sometimes.

*explosion*

"HAKIM!"

*bouncy pop tune*
Jul 17, 2010 11:08 PM

Aug 2008
It's a scary day indeed when I sympathize more with the terrorists than the men who are following their dreams. But cold people with no soul or humanity scare the crap out of me.
Oct 13, 2010 8:05 PM

Jun 2009
Farewell video for Hachi and shoving off Tanabe, what more can you ask with Hachi's attitude

I don't understand why Hakim, would target Von Braun?.. not the main center or what
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Oct 20, 2010 3:14 PM

Aug 2009
Too much mixed episode. Hakim showed up his cards, Claire is getting rebel and Technora is on fishy matters. Let me swallow that, please.

watkinzez said:

*explosion*

"HAKIM!"

*bouncy pop tune*

hontou. X-D
Jan 20, 2011 6:27 AM

Feb 2010
Things are getting quite interesting..I really look forward to the next episode..Poor hachimaki.He has nowhere to go now..He has Trouble trouble Trusting people including Himself.What do you guys think?
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2011 6:29 AM

Feb 2010
Things are getting quite interesting..I really look forward to the next episode..Poor hachimaki.He has nowhere to go now..He has Trouble trouble Trusting people including Himself.What do you guys think?
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2011 1:47 PM

Aug 2010
aero said:
So many things happened O_O
Ditto!! All i can say is emotions rose pretty high
Apr 4, 2011 5:54 PM
Jul 2010
Bombing a space operation to prevent the growth of first-world nations? Damn Hakim is an idiot. For every dollar/euro spent on space travel, far more was wasted on pet projects and corrupted embezzlement, and certainly more was spent on military research and development that's increased when terrorist attacks occur.

Yeah, it's definitely a great idea to destroy a finished product that will only be repaired, wasting even more funds. Oh, and stereotype his desperate nation as a bunch of terrorists, further cementing their separation from the ruling class.

I hope Hachi reports that attack so Hakim can rot in prison.
Jun 12, 2011 12:09 AM

May 2010
damn all this for terroism
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 6, 2011 8:14 PM

Mar 2011
Hmmm, that explosion at the end didn't seem that big! Certainly smaller than the #2 module blast on the moon! Maybe they'll have it fixed up in just a quick montage!

More adventures for DS-12 abound methinks!
Nov 25, 2011 5:56 PM

Jan 2009
Luthimal said:
Bombing a space operation to prevent the growth of first-world nations? Damn Hakim is an idiot. For every dollar/euro spent on space travel, far more was wasted on pet projects and corrupted embezzlement, and certainly more was spent on military research and development that's increased when terrorist attacks occur.

Maybe that's true nowadays, not necessarily in the world of Planetes (Considering their situation, they probably spend a ton on space research), but I think arguing wether Hakim's actions are wrong or right is not the point, the idea is to present the conflict that comes with this one sided development
Jan 30, 2012 10:53 PM

Feb 2011
I was hoping to see Hoshino die, such a lame ass character.

On the other hand I can sympathize with Hakim and Claire (coming from a country that may not be third world but still has a large gap between the rich and poor).

The world of Planetes is not that different from our own.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
ArdanazJun 8, 2016 12:24 PM
Feb 29, 2012 8:19 AM

Aug 2010
sunshinesan said:
Apr 3, 2012 12:52 PM

Aug 2008
Hachi, that's what you get when you choose to ignore all those horrible facts of the humanity.

And if I was Tanabe, I would so just forget about Hachi, but I think Hachi will need Tanabe in the end.
Jul 1, 2012 4:31 AM

Aug 2010
I hope the next time Tanabe sees Hachi, she punches him in the face. Its less than he deserves. I believe giving up everything for your dream is okay on some level, but good god at least tell the poor girl you're done with her.

Also, go Claire and Hakim. They see reality, Hachi and Tanabe are naive optimists, but in the end, everyone is fighting for something they really believe in, even though it can seem misguided to other people. What a great show!
Jul 11, 2012 7:56 AM

Jul 2011
Hakim, what a backstabbing asshole! How exactly destroying spaceship will help to solve poverty in his country? Or is it just revenge? Why not go and fight military then! Next he'll blow up some medical research center because "only developed nations will reap benefits of healthcare!"
Seriously, this series is great, but I fear that in the end Hachi will learn a lesson that love is more important and humanity need to stop to develop and expand, leave space and degrade back to bronze age in order to live in harmony with Earth.
OrangeHollow.png
Jul 12, 2012 6:43 PM

Feb 2012
The first "accident" was probably deliberate on Locksmith's part and now with this terrorist act they can blame the first incident on others as well. It's all about the politics. Maybe they'll even make a connection with the poorer countries to push for support in the rich ones. It's an unusual series in that the issues discussed are much more interesting than the bland characters. Particularly Tanabe has had no function in the story after the romance ended.
Jul 24, 2012 10:04 AM

Jul 2011
jackitsu said:
I believe giving up everything for your dream is okay on some level, but good god at least tell the poor girl you're done with her.

Seriously! Or Tanabe should tell him it's over.
Jan 25, 2013 4:59 AM

May 2012
oh boy what a development, that ending was insane!
Dec 1, 2013 9:28 PM

Nov 2009
matmetal said:
Luthimal said:

Maybe that's true nowadays, not necessarily in the world of Planetes (Considering their situation, they probably spend a ton on space research), but I think arguing wether Hakim's actions are wrong or right is not the point, the idea is to present the conflict that comes with this one sided development
It clearly doesn't apply to the world of Planetes since they are making a profit (and quite a large one at that since they have a monopoly on materials no longer found on earth) mining things in space. Unlike reality where that is not yet a reality (although it could be in a few decades).

By the way, knew Hakim was a terrorist . . . Also Hachi should get the hell out of there, Feel like he is in a position to get blamed for all of this. And hopefully he will realize how much of an ass he is after this.
Apr 30, 2014 2:16 AM

Jul 2013
Mirorin said:
jackitsu said:
I believe giving up everything for your dream is okay on some level, but good god at least tell the poor girl you're done with her.

Seriously! Or Tanabe should tell him it's over.
Totally. He needs a punch or two.
Jun 7, 2014 10:39 PM

Aug 2012
That line about being miserable was fantastically voiced.

Planetes dub gooo~!
Jul 12, 2014 2:59 PM

Feb 2010
Good story and all, just find the VA for the protagonist quite annoying.

Jul 22, 2014 10:47 AM

Oct 2012
Well isn't this a hefty little episode. I'm glad that we're finally seeing the true weight of the series.

Like a lot of people here, I knew Hakim was up to know good. It's unfortunate as I wish they could've gambled a bit more on his character and had him go the other way (I mean, making a man from the middle east a terrorist is such an obvious move.)

The decision isn't wrong. I just find that the way they wrote the roots of aggression they gave the third world country representatives (Hakim and Claire) weren't as complex as they could've been. Bitterness towards first world countries for their capitalist plights is still too flat for something this ambitious, I find. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who lives in a third world country.

The story is playing with extremes here. Both the aggression and the self-centered dreams are a bit too extreme, although admittedly, the concoction is still very potent. Can't say I like all the little details, but the big picture is still marvelous to look at.

Edit: I take back what I said about the root being too flat. After watching a couple more episodes, it made more sense to me. I guess it takes a bit longer to sink in.
Ducat_RevelJul 22, 2014 12:20 PM
Aug 13, 2014 7:54 AM

Nov 2011
Zankyou no Terror
Jan 17, 2016 5:50 AM
May 2012
Von Braun no more, Hachimaki.
Apr 27, 2016 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
Fucking hell hoshino have become an annoying shitty character, hope he goes back to who he was before
Jun 28, 2016 11:07 PM

Mar 2015
Naruhodo! Only the elite country will gain advantage of the resources in Jupiter. I learned a lot!

3.4/5
Jul 1, 2016 3:39 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Hachimaki having doubts if getting to Jupiter is the correct choice for him?

Also there is Hakim who is setting up a bomb to damage the Von Braun. Hachimaki catches him red handed but isn't able to stop him. If Hachimaki stays in that place all the attention will be brought to him as it looks like he did the bombing.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Aug 19, 2016 11:04 PM

Nov 2014
Why did I feel a sense of satisfaction as Hoshino was betrayed?
Jan 15, 2017 7:20 PM

Apr 2014
i really hate how Ai is considered the "worse option" or the last resort for Hachi... i genuinely hope they break up in the end but i know it's probably not gonna happen.

completely forgot about that old man with the cancer again, wonder how Hachi will react.

i also like the addition of Colin, he's an entertaining character

uguhughug i hate Hachi so much, such an annoying character. he was alright in the first few episodes but he got more and more annoying as episodes progressed

by the way, the first accident caused the deaths of all the workers there right? wasn't the ninja group there? whoops

yeah i was kind of suspecting of Hakim being a suspicious character by some previous signs. i kinda like him even more now, he has a good reason for his cause

Karma-Senpai said:
Why did I feel a sense of satisfaction as Hoshino was betrayed?

same...because he was being a selfish brat and betrayed his friends
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2017 10:08 AM

Jun 2013
So the only guy from a place coded as our Middle East turns out to be a terrorist. That's some crazy inventive writing right there! Pure genius. Also, definitely not an ass-pull.

Seriously though, what happened to my charming little show about collecting trash in space?

sunshinesan said:

If I was merely apathetic to this pairing before, now I'm actually sick of it.
LeeTailorAug 7, 2017 10:13 AM
Mar 16, 2018 1:03 AM

Jan 2014
really glad they're focusing on the third world vs first world narrative

willag said:
It's a scary day indeed when I sympathize more with the terrorists than the men who are following their dreams. But cold people with no soul or humanity scare the crap out of me.

agreed
Nov 17, 2018 4:18 AM

Sep 2011
Hachimaki went full insufferable. He is still talking with his own image, he acts as if the ship 'belongs' to him, and as long as he can be in a fast ship, he is indifferent to the suffering of the people on Earth, wow. He was even a jerk to Tanabe too, what a fall to a character that was kind of cool.

The Debris Section also ended up on the news again, they were used to give notoriety to a supposed terrorist attack, planted to cover the accident. The spoiled rich brat from the start was back, but since he wasn't the focus he didn't have the time to be insufferable, only annoying. Hachimaki, and Tanabe are truly part of the lucky ones, it's funny of Hachimaki to say that he is miserable too to someone like Hakim. Sure, his father was absent, but he had a home, education, a mother, a brother, and more opportunities than many. I wonder if the ship was really put out of commission with those bombs. I don't agree with Hakim's ways, but like that random character said during the first tests, people should take care of Earth, and of what they already have first.
Mar 29, 2019 1:02 PM
Oct 2018
LeeTailor said:
So the only guy from a place coded as our Middle East turns out to be a terrorist. That's some crazy inventive writing right there! Pure genius.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing
Jun 13, 2019 5:24 PM

Feb 2012
Such a jerk in this arc.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 24, 2020 2:21 PM
Jul 2013
watkinzez said:

*explosion*

"HAKIM!"

*bouncy pop tune*

I'm glad other people noticed.

Well, I knew Hachi was not going to shoot the moment he started talking.
I feel like we've crossed into the final arc.
Jul 3, 2020 9:04 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
OMG Hakim and Hachi at the end, Hachi is going berserk...
I hope they will be able to stop Hakim.
Dec 10, 2020 11:09 AM

Nov 2019
WOW! that blew me away

and here i thought i was watching a laid-back space anime (><)
Dec 11, 2020 10:48 AM

Jul 2017
That Von Braun just can't last, it keeps on being blown up by people before its ever able to launch lol. Hoshino blew off Tanabe this episode to focus on the task at hand only for that task to be blown up literally by Hakim. I don't know if that counts as karma towards him but jeez rough times.
Apr 27, 2021 7:39 AM

Apr 2021
oh man, shit's getting political

i don't know how to feel about hachi at this moment... he's being a dick to tanabe but he's probably just got some problem that he can't solve himself.. :/ i hope he realizes something important
i wish i was a cloud
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.