Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 20, 2011 10:33 AM

Jun 2011
That'll be a bit out of the topic, but can smb explain me why Penguindrum is compared to Utena so much? To me, they just share the same director, have got transformation scenes, unusual visual concepts and homosexual/sibling lovers. Besides that, I just don't get why should they be compared.

I apologize to all the admirers of Utena, but I'm watching it right now and... I can't say I love it much. While Penguindrum is adorable.
We have to keep our dreams alive. Something to look forward to.
Dec 20, 2011 8:24 PM

Apr 2010
StarryKite said:
That'll be a bit out of the topic, but can smb explain me why Penguindrum is compared to Utena so much? To me, they just share the same director, have got transformation scenes, unusual visual concepts and homosexual/sibling lovers. Besides that, I just don't get why should they be compared.

I apologize to all the admirers of Utena, but I'm watching it right now and... I can't say I love it much. While Penguindrum is adorable.

Watch the last arc and prepare for the mindfuck.

Utena and Penguindrum both use a LOT of symbolism to the point where it's almost impossible to keep track of all of them. They show and refer to a lot of inanimate objects (let's say the apple in Penguindrum and rose in Utena, since those are the most prominent) in place of various concepts and emotions that depict the characters.

Plus, as you might have already guessed, they both share the same discussions about fate. They treat fate as a very negative thing because the characters are assumed to take up certain responsibilities. They are trying desperately to fight against what they are supposedly fated to do. In Utena everyone is fighting against the notion of adolescence, for Mawaru Penguindrum everyone is fighting against the idea of family ties and death.

They share similar plot devices, and not just with transformation scenes. They both have a surreal 'alternate world' where the main antagonist resides in. Penguindrum also makes several references and jokes that are very similar to Utena, such as: Nanami "mooo~", over-the-top comedy episode, and of course the "destination of fate" and "fated person". Sanetoshi also bears a strong resemblance to Touga/Akio.
I also think that Chu-Chu is the prototype to the penguins in Penguindrum. They're mainly used for comedic effects, but are also used to present feelings, thoughts, or future events.

I think it's also why people are so worried about how Penguindrum will end. Revolutionary Girl Utena in such a bizarre and satisfying way that it's almost a letdown if Penguindrum is anything but.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Dec 21, 2011 1:22 AM

Jun 2011
Thanks! But there was no need to copy and paste the answer on my wall as well. ^^'

After reading Ikuhara's interview, I think the standart happy ending with Power of Love saving everyone will come. To be honest, despite my all love for the characters, I don't want it. -_-

So, Penguindrum is a physical object. Momoka refers to it as to "anata-tachi no pingodoramu", i.e. "your penguindrum" in plural form, i.e. both Shouma's and Kanba's thing.

But what is it? Variants like "Kanba's heart" don't work out anymore.

Himari? As "love" of both of the... erm... "brothers"? Or smth that united them when they were both in cages at the end of episode 23 flashback?
Dec 21, 2011 12:39 PM

Mar 2008
My buddy Deus Ex Machina problably guessed what Penguindrum is.

SPOILER ALERT

It will be funny to see that in the end, who is trollad for last is Sanetoshi.

Everybody saw the interview with Ikuhara?

http://penguindrum.livejournal.com/44413.html
Dec 21, 2011 12:47 PM

Mar 2008
Ok... i'm VERY late, then change of subject.

soulelle, you're a woman?
Dec 22, 2011 4:13 AM

Mar 2010
INSANE!!
SO MANY THINGS WERE REVILED IN THIS EPISODE!! I would REAALLLY love if the last one was a full hour special, or if we got an extra long ova or movie to top it off; I just don't think I can handle THE END in such a compressed 23 minutes!D'';

Ahhh, Sanetoshi is a total asshole afterall~ And Momoko is the hats?
So does this mean she's actually a controlling bitch??xD

God this is nerve-racking, I COULDN'T EVEN ENJOY THE SHONEN AI!!D''X

Dec 22, 2011 5:58 AM

Jun 2011
PaninaManina said:

She's got Female in the Gender line on her page. Isn't it a FABULOUS way to find out? -_-

Actually your idea is very smart. Moreover, Mario hasn't played an important role yet and he should. And it'd really be in Ikuhara's style (to suddenly "remember" the "unimportant" character and make him the center).

But I hope he's prepared smth more exciting. Such a final feels boring to me.

Btw, according to episode 24 "lovey-dovey" preview scene, the final will be BRIGHT, HAPPY AND FULL OF SUNSHINE... unapproved by me. :(
Dec 22, 2011 7:07 AM

Mar 2008
Orulyon said:
@soulelle: i dont think shouma or Kanba are dead, i think they are alive but somehow possessed by the ghosts of Sanetoshi and Momoka.
yes, Orulyon, I think I have to agree with you and the rest here. I probably was too quick with my conclusions. I tend to forget that the symbolism behind the broken glass isn't just death, more like a warning about death being around, being on the verge.
I still think that Shouma's life is nevertheless in question. I mean, it's like he stands in front of the road fork - if he choses the wrong path, he dies. It's as if he stands between life and death.
And everything is so surreal anyway - Kamba's gun looked too realistic to shoot the balls... compare it to Masako's weapon for example.. so I really don't know... to me it still looks somewhat like he died and got resurrected or something else of that kind.
What I mean.. is.. perhaps he is alive now but I can no longer treat and see his character as that of a normal human. We'll see.

PaninaManina said:
erm.. yes, is it wrong to be one? xD
oh, and a sweet prediction about the final! Although Mario as a penguindrum... not sure how he's a penguindrum for Shouma. Even for Kamba.. I agree that Mario will be there to let the hats unite and Momoka to appear. But to be the penguindrum itself... I wonder.... I don't think I'd prefer this kind of development. If penguindrum truly is an actual thing, I don't want it to be something animate. Let it be an apple, a Tokyo Tower, a washing machine, whatever else.. anything but humans, please! (^_^)
Oh, and Ikuhara could've simply mislead and troll us again with that interview... perhaps penguindrum really will be a material object but only as a symbol. I still would prefer to believe in the abstract power behind it.

btw, do you guys know that the Triple-H disc has been released? This is going to be my CD of the year for sure! LOL, perhaps that CD from Double-H was the penguindrum? The uniting power of great songs? Haha... Just two more hours before the final broadcast!!!! Can't wait!!
soulelleDec 22, 2011 7:48 AM
Dec 22, 2011 7:14 AM

Jun 2011
The idea with CD is good too, the preview has got this one.
And you've noticed it right - since Momoka said that Penguindrum is smth that belongs to both Kanba and Shouma, Mario isn't connected to Shouma.
Washing machine would kick ass. ^^

Gosh, I've just remembered the scene where Princess falls in rage at Shouma and Ringo and Ringo throws away the hat causing Himari to collapse. Supposing it really has been Momoka... she's not too sweet towards her long-waited younger sister. :D

I wish there could have been more Coaltar of the Deepers, like in the beginning. Light pop songs sung with extremely high-pitched voices don't feel attractive to me. But I've still downloaded the disc (I love Rock Over Japan and Hide and Seek).

Btw, Ringo is voiced by the same actress that gave her voice to Hikari (the blue-haired girl from Double-H). So we can say that not only Himari, but Ringo sings endings together with Triple-H too. ^-^

And it's such a DESTINY - has anyone noticed that Kanba's and Shouma's actors share the SAME SURNAME (though as I understood, they're not blood-related... just like Kanba and Shouma XD)?

---

I'm so thrilled. o_o
StarryKiteDec 22, 2011 7:18 AM
Dec 22, 2011 11:06 AM

Mar 2008
soulelle said:

PaninaManina said:
erm.. yes, is it wrong to be one? xD

Find my waifu...
Dec 22, 2011 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
Godfuckingdammit. Why won't the people in this show just die.
I mean, a bomb exploded right behind Ringo and Shouma got shot. And they both lived. That really took away the whole HOLYSHITWTFBBQ value.
Dec 23, 2011 12:13 AM

Aug 2008
They didn't hold back in that flashback at all. Momoka just walked up to Sanetoshi and told him exactly what she was going to do... and I guess that became the problem. He forced a draw. And now we're in the screwy situation that we see now. I wonder what Ringo's going to do now that the diary is a useless piece of ash. Everyone's on the train now so it's now or never.

Dec 23, 2011 4:29 PM

May 2011
Closures everywhere.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Dec 31, 2011 8:17 PM

Oct 2011
Time for the climax!
Jan 10, 2012 2:35 AM
Feb 2010
Oh my god. THIS EPISODE.
I nearly cried, I am not kidding, when Ringo tried to protect the diary and it burned up.
And then the bit where Kanba pulled Shoma close to him and then shot him? AKLJRWKFLLKD THIS WAS THE BEST EPISODE EVER...
Jan 12, 2012 6:58 AM

Dec 2008
@ShiiKatsu - not the best, wait for 24 xDD
Jan 12, 2012 6:43 PM

Aug 2007
Karhu said:
Closures everywhere.
more like retcon everywhere.
Jan 20, 2012 6:03 AM

Aug 2010
Preparing my butt for the finale.
Jan 21, 2012 8:35 AM

Dec 2009
Kanba.

what, What, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Look at your life.

Examine your choices.

Seriously though, why would Kanba do that to my bb Shouma? I feel so bad for Shouma. He gets the brunt of EVERYTHING. Kid can't ever catch a break.

Poor Ringo ;_; I hope she isn't dead. I was hoping she would hear the ticking and be like a banana, but no she didn't.

And Sanetoshi.

That guy is a fucking troll.

For some reason, I can't hate him though. It must be the combination of wonderful pink hair, deep voice and UST with Himari that makes me still like him.

Same with Kanba. Despite his choices I still love him. /cries.

code geass s2 : darker than black : free! es :
haikyuu!! : inaire : kurobas 2 : mikagura : znt
animemanga

Jan 28, 2012 5:39 AM

Aug 2008
Interesting revelation about Sanetoshi. Seriously it's pretty random to wake up one morning and find out you hate the world.
Mar 21, 2012 2:09 PM

Dec 2007
The scene with the burning book was so... damn... stupid, that I've felt obliged to comment this on forum. Srsly, wtf? Why sisn't she just cover the whole book by laying herself on it? Too stupid, I guess.
Apr 14, 2012 10:16 PM

Sep 2008
Awwwwwwwwwww yeah, Kanba continuously being a dark badass.
Apples in flames and amazingness oozed from this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2012 11:18 PM

Sep 2011
Let the battles begin!
Jul 10, 2012 7:32 AM

Oct 2010
Oct 27, 2012 11:16 PM
Jan 2012
Jeez Kanba is so lame.
Sanetoshi on other hand is so... hot. No, really, I can relate to his ideals. <3

I was expecting a sad ending for this show, but I doubt it will happen. If Shouma end up with Ringo it will be interesting enough to me, though.
Dec 8, 2012 4:03 PM

Jun 2009
Mormegil said:
Every week a new penguindrum episode, and every week I have the same reaction:

1. Another amazing episode. Glorious stuff here.
2. WTF IS GOING ON.

Really, for all its surrealism and mysteries that will never be explained - and will more than likely just be left as metaphors and symbolism - it all just works. I simply love this anime despite its flaws. The constant deaths and resurrections? Take any other show, and it would frustrate me to no end. Here, I'm fine with it. I guess I'll attribute that to Ikuhara's mad genius.

Totally agree with this. I even found myself thinking along these lines when Masako was revived.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 17, 2012 3:25 AM

Apr 2012
Dekkai pinchi! Really wonder how they're gonna get out of this one without the diary.

Qrko said:
The scene with the burning book was so... damn... stupid, that I've felt obliged to comment this on forum. Srsly, wtf? Why sisn't she just cover the whole book by laying herself on it? Too stupid, I guess.
It was probably magic/symbolic fire, can't rely on old spells forever, have to create new ones, etc.
Jan 10, 2013 12:35 PM
Sep 2011
Jacut said:
Breathtaking !
Totally agreed.
Mar 31, 2013 2:28 AM

Jul 2012
Qrko said:

This
Apr 1, 2013 3:49 PM

May 2012
Damn they really keep the tention until the end! Just amazing how they're possible to do it with great story and character development! The backstory on what actually happened 16 years ago in that train was pretty impressive so Momoka might still be alive? And well with the next episode being the last I'm sure something really impressive will happen! Finally we'll find the Pengiundrum!

Lets see how this amazing anime ends!
Apr 3, 2013 1:16 AM

Jan 2013
4.825/5
This story isn't quite doing it for me.
Apr 4, 2013 1:20 PM

Apr 2012
What's with the words "to be continued" appearing at the end of the last few episodes, shouldn't it be obvious?
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Apr 6, 2013 1:54 PM

Jan 2010
-the two hats come from momoka, and the the two rabbits come from sanetoshi because the curse and spell were only half cast
-its revealed that the black bears are bombs, do the white bears mean anything?
-masako and kanba are officially twins, apparently them looking strikingly alike
wasnt a coincidence after all
-nice moves sanetoshi
-well, they just kissed and himari is naked (they're soul mates after all)
-did kanba just fucking throw his penguin
-ok as soon as kanba said "i've always wanted to do this do you" and shot shoma i began frothing at the mouth and screaming profanity
-am i the only one who shouted "fuck" as soon as the black bear came into view?
-oh my god did ringo catch on fire PROTECTING the diary? is she gonna use it at all??
-god dammit sanetoshi you piece of shit you made them burn the diary to protect your pathetic ass
-apparently the diary was not the penguindrum? there was a bit of foreshadowing that it wasnt when survival strategy version himari wouldn't tell them if it was or wasnt
im really excited to see how everything ends
May 1, 2013 11:19 AM

Mar 2012
Ringo could've just saved her half by putting it in the water right beside her.
May 9, 2013 10:04 PM
Mar 2009
What. Sanetoshi believes he's one of the chosen? Doesn't that go against what the Kiga Group was trying to abolish?

Masako lives! Although it seems like Sanetoshi can give and take away life on a whim. Just what is he?

Hey Ringo...that's not how you put out fires...

Now I'm pretty sure Kanba will die. He's done a helluva lot that would require redemption. Either that or Himari.

Momaka finally speaks and Shouma faces Kanba for probably the last time. Aww shit, last episode here we go.
Jun 5, 2013 7:11 AM

Nov 2012
so momoka is show up huh.. she is in the hat? thats it?! okay...

just that.. so exciting :p
Jul 10, 2013 4:19 AM

Apr 2009
"Seizon Senryaku: Mawaru Penguindrum"

So, it all boils down to the culmination of a decisive confrontation 16 years ago between Sanetoshi and Momoka. Both of them had "powers" that made them "capable" of changing the world. The result was a mutually destructive draw that left others to continue what the other had started...

Kanba has fallen over to the dark side, if that sounds familiar. He will do anything out of the obsession that grew out of love, and inability to let go. He is Sanetoshi's new agent.

Shouma is the only one left able to stop him. Ringo and Momoka's diary is lost, but the two hats embody Momoka herself. He is Momoka's new agent.

The struggle continues via proxy.
Jul 21, 2013 11:27 PM
Jul 2008
does no one else wonder why ringo didnt just put out the fire instead of just holding the book? i thought that was so stupid! why hold fire and get burned when you can just put the fire out by whacking it or putting your clothes over it to keep the oxygen from reviving the fire..-_-
Jul 21, 2013 11:32 PM
Jul 2008
And also, how come no one notices shady people leaving bears everywhere...
Sep 1, 2013 10:47 PM

Jun 2012
I seriously have never hated anyone so much as when Kanba shot Shouma (except maybe my own brother), was seriously upset that he could betray him so heartlessly like he never cared about him. I was still pissed, but it at least relieved some of my anger when it wasn't a real gun... I should've expected that. I'm honestly kinda glad the diary got burned... would've been sort of disappointing if it was all just fixed by the book of fate. Depending on how the final episode ends... this may be going in my favorites. If Ringo had died there... I would've died inside too.

The scene where Masako died... even though I knew she was about to come back was pretty heartbreaking to me too, Kanba's expression when she died kinda ruined me there.

kirby_422 said:
Can't believe kanba burnt the diary pieces so easily... He didn't trust the penguin hat? And if Sanetoshi can have his form show up while the rabbits are still separate entities, why cant momoka do the same with the hats?.. He dare leave both penguin hats alone?.. wouldn't it be better if he destroyed those as well?..

I'm sure you know, after the last episode now, but I think the two rabbits are Sanetoshi, and the two hats are Momoka.

micaharu said:
the scene with ringo cuddling shouma was sooooo cute~! ^o^ i'm hoping for a happy ending for those two.

i skipped the part with himari dream sequence T_T it was a BIG NO for me.now, i could care less for himari and kanba.

Wha-! Why'd ya do that...? I also want Ringo x Shouma... but that was basically Himari accepting she's going to die no matter what.. acting like she doesn't know they won't be together forever. Hell, you can pretty much take that scene as confirmation of Ringo x Shouma

HecateAster007 said:
This episode really made me dislike Kanba, doing everything like a heartless bastard and all, he might have a plan.... Ringo getting blown up by the time bomb... could've seen it coming, tick,tick,tick. Sanetoshi isn't as awesome as I used to thought he was though, still confused HOW he can be a ghost, maybe they'll explain later. Just nothing more to say then, it was an awesome episode.

This episode did tell you how he became a ghost... he was on the train when it exploded (he was the mastermind behind the bombing back then)... which was also how most of that organization died (the Takakuras' parents included)... Momoka showed up and cast a spell to kill him and he halved it so that she would still die, as well as the train still exploding. Thus the splitting of the two. Also, you might not have noticed but that bomb that blew up on Ringo was lain all over the train... in the past and the one Shouma and Kanba are on. So it's now down to this... one final scene to determine their fates.
HalibelTheEspadaSep 1, 2013 11:01 PM
Sep 23, 2013 10:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
SayakaMagica said:
"Seizon Senryaku: Mawaru Penguindrum"

So, it all boils down to the culmination of a decisive confrontation 16 years ago between Sanetoshi and Momoka. Both of them had "powers" that made them "capable" of changing the world. The result was a mutually destructive draw that left others to continue what the other had started...

Kanba has fallen over to the dark side, if that sounds familiar. He will do anything out of the obsession that grew out of love, and inability to let go. He is Sanetoshi's new agent.

Shouma is the only one left able to stop him. Ringo and Momoka's diary is lost, but the two hats embody Momoka herself. He is Momoka's new agent.

The struggle continues via proxy.

Precisely. And the Survival Strategy is precisely what it says it is.

Breathtaking last couple of episodes so far.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 25, 2014 8:53 PM

Mar 2013
I'm about damn tired of Kanba, I don't care how he tries to make up for it. If one man has to get kicked off the boat I hope its him. The only way he makes up for it to me is if he takes the bullet for the rest of the world. And even then Natsume's and Himari's lives are still probably forfeit.
Aug 21, 2014 5:07 PM
Aug 2011
Why isn't Ringo in pieces after that explosion?
Aug 31, 2014 11:54 PM

Aug 2013
Here's to hoping Kanba will do something tor redeem himself in the final episode.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 22, 2014 1:38 AM

Jun 2009
reira said:
all I can say is this :

ty for this
Oct 26, 2014 5:43 PM

Apr 2013
What the fuck was Ringo doing? That aquarium scene was really aggravating to watch. Not only was she completely oblivious to the bomb, but she was lying right next to a tank of water as the diary burned away.
Jan 14, 2015 6:13 AM
Jul 2011
I'm Confused! Might I Ask Who Is Real Sister Of Kanba, Masako or Himari ?
Feb 28, 2015 12:44 PM
Mar 2013
Did Kanba really shoot Shouma???!!!?!??!

Is Ringo mentally retarded? Hello it's TICKING, how can you not realise that's it's a fucking bomb... She actually seemed kind of intelligent in the first place...

The end is such a cliffhanger. "On the train, you will find it. The penguindrum. " OMG
Mar 15, 2015 7:51 PM

Apr 2014
so apparently that red haired girl easily gets saved while Himari gets to die....makes sense

so that pink haired guy was just a ghost who wanted to complete his mission...or something
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.