Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2008 10:04 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A nice starting episode. There were glimpses of the past in the LoGH anime but it's good to see a fleshed out story on how Kircheis and Reinhard started their military careers out.

Reinhard's entrance into the fight was a bit overdramatic though. It made me think he's going DBZ or trying to get the Leroy glow.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Oct 13, 2008 12:10 AM

Feb 2008
Awesome OP. Awesome ED. Yay for more LOGH!
Nov 1, 2008 8:05 PM

May 2008
I thought the fight entrance was a bit unbecoming of LoGH as well..

However, I'm definitely happy to be revisiting LoGH! I'm glad they made these Gaidens. So far so good.
Sep 26, 2009 1:45 PM

Jan 2008
Wasnt that flashback scene at the end with Reinhard asking Kircheis to go to military school with him a bit redundant or a plot hole? Didnt he already tell Kircheis in a flashback in the OVA (and mediocre 2nd movie) that they would get his sister back by usurping the ruler? You'd think that Kircheis would be already aware of Reinhard going to military school and that he would already be joining him.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 18, 2009 12:31 AM

Sep 2008
a slow start...and we already know how this is going to turn out, but its fun to watch it this way I think. And LOL @ super saiyen Reinhard
-Another 'potential' rape vicitim saved by Reinhard-Kircheis team!! WOOOOO!

Beatnik said:
Wasnt that flashback scene at the end with Reinhard asking Kircheis to go to military school with him a bit redundant or a plot hole? Didnt he already tell Kircheis in a flashback in the OVA (and mediocre 2nd movie) that they would get his sister back by usurping the ruler? You'd think that Kircheis would be already aware of Reinhard going to military school and that he would already be joining him.

dunno..
maybe the movie skipped that little detail
eyerokDec 18, 2009 2:39 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 12, 2010 11:35 AM
Jul 2008
God, the scene where the old %§@* of a kaizer walks into Anne-Rose's room was absolutely nightmarish! I haven't felt that much anger and anguish while watching an anime episode for quite a while.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Apr 29, 2010 3:45 PM

Dec 2008
kerlyenai said:
God, the scene where the old %§@* of a kaizer walks into Anne-Rose's room was absolutely nightmarish! I haven't felt that much anger and anguish while watching an anime episode for quite a while.

This.

Good way to start the gaiden, Super Saiyan Reinhard made me lol
May 13, 2010 12:01 AM

Jun 2008
Great start to what looks to be a great OVA.
May 31, 2010 8:02 PM

Aug 2008
How perfect for Vegeta's seiyuu to go Super Saiyan before ever doing Vegeta.
Jun 11, 2010 10:55 PM

May 2010
Did the Emperor raped her? Or was that just Sieg's imagination?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 25, 2010 3:32 AM

Jan 2008
Confucius said:

She's not exactly there of her own will so technically she's being raped every day.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 7, 2010 1:23 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
Confucius said:

She's not exactly there of her own will so technically she's being raped every day.

yeah...its kinda a bummer. That sorta thing still happens everyday all over the world

EDIT: English law only accepted the concept of rape in marriage in 1990. Before that, a husbend could do it whenever he wanted, without the wife's say. Though Annarose's situation is worse, cuz she was more like a concubine than a wife
eyerokJul 7, 2010 1:29 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 16, 2010 12:05 AM

Jul 2008
nice start..I felt sorry for Annarose =.=

Good to see more of Reinhard & Kircheis <3
Nov 2, 2010 6:43 PM

Feb 2010
Hehe, the supersayan Reinhard was indeed hilarious ^^

But besides that it was a very good episode. Although it's been a few months since I watched the main series the feeling is already back.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 13, 2010 11:46 AM

Apr 2009
Yay more Kircheis! I've watched Golden Wings before so I was worried they would do that shit again, I was relieved they were faithful to the main OVA this time, like the animation and some other story details I've noticed from the main OVA.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 22, 2010 6:41 AM

Jun 2009
As compared to Golden Wings, this actually felt like LotGH. Aside from the aforementioned super saiyen Reinhard scene, everything felt "right." Of course, I can't go judging this series just like that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 11, 2012 12:24 PM

Oct 2008
I finally started watching this, and it seems like a pretty good start.
Now that I think about it, I don't think we ever saw Reinhard in a physical fight in the main series (except when he was a child and he beat some kid with a rock, I think).
Jan 29, 2013 7:30 PM

Sep 2009
HATUL300 said:
I finally started watching this, and it seems like a pretty good start.
Now that I think about it, I don't think we ever saw Reinhard in a physical fight in the main series (except when he was a child and he beat some kid with a rock, I think).

Was about to crush his balls with a rock, if I do recall?
Jun 19, 2013 5:45 AM

Mar 2012
Absolutely brilliant. I must've been smiling the entire way, or maybe it was because Kircheis was alive again, lol.

These are military men who've gone through basic training, of course there are going to be fights or minor brawls within the lower ranks. I expect it. After seeing all of Reinhard's strategic fights in space, this was a simplistic approach to reinventing Reinhard's character. Didn't underwhelm the series or even dull the pace at all, in fact I loved the fact that Reinhard and Kircheis were badass brawlers back in their days.

Yang's rise to fame didn't have much to do with his physical aptitude, so it's a great change seeing some fighting with main characters.
Oct 8, 2013 5:51 AM

Nov 2009
Like the series so far, was sad that I had finished the main series, and usually don't go for side stories or prequels . . . But glad I did with this.
Apr 14, 2014 7:34 PM

Aug 2010
This OVA is a dream come true.
Dec 11, 2014 10:49 AM

May 2012
Pretty lovely start I must say, I really wonder what this prequel story will offer us!
Feb 7, 2015 4:14 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
After the lack of quality anime available this season I thought a re-watch of LOGH would be in order. This episode, although not as gripping as the main series, has all the elements of why I love that saga. I had forgotten how badazz Reinhardt could be when he set his mind to it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 7, 2015 7:21 AM

Feb 2012
Is this the MAL entry for the first Gaiden?

Major Hokuto no Ken vibes from Siegfried Kircheis's and Reinhard's intervention on the rapist soldiers.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 3, 2015 9:27 AM

Feb 2015
That was a nice first episode, I think this series will be enjoyable just for the reasob that it's more LoGH.

I loved that remark Reinhard gave his superior, he's certainly digging his own grave.
Jun 6, 2015 7:17 PM

Mar 2015
Nice first episode,I'm looking forward to more.Reinhard is as ambitious as ever.

"Kircheis,you are the type of person who finds beauty even in trash"
That made me laugh quite a bit.
Jan 31, 2016 9:55 AM

Nov 2013
While it's just the first episode, this does feel extremely promising. Great episode!

If the pacing doesn't change and the narrator stays more in the background (like in this episode), this prequel may very well be more enjoyable to me than the main series.

Hopefully this will be a good series on it's own, and not a good series just because it's the prequel to LOGH. So far, it seems like it'll be the former.
Nov 11, 2016 5:47 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Lord Reinhard and Kircheis, in their first adventure in the battle front, but they have two enemis, the alience and the Imperie!!!!
Nov 19, 2016 10:33 AM

Mar 2016
Reinhard embracing his inner Vegeta lol
It's nice to see Kircheis back too
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 21, 2018 1:33 AM

Dec 2015
Disappointed by the use of flashbacks compared to the manga's OAV (I would have preferred a "childhood eps") but it is starting faster this way.

4/5
Jan 1, 2019 10:01 PM

Aug 2013
Super Saiyan Reinhard was a pretty interesting sight to behold, not something would've excepted from this series; but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was pretty cool. And as usual, the Nobles are assholes and want to plot against the "blond brat."
Jul 17, 2019 9:13 AM

Feb 2017
Instead of becoming a teacher to bring out the best in many children, Kirchies followed Reinhard and made him the very best he could be.
Jan 17, 2020 2:22 PM

Nov 2016
Reinhard taking the opportunity.

Great start, this has the same feeling to it as the main series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 25, 2020 8:18 PM
Feb 2020
where i can watch this OVA?
Jan 9, 2023 2:58 AM

Aug 2018
Good start episode, I feel like this just is something that should be watched at least mid way the main show, it seems that Logenheim and Kirchies already had to battle corruption since the beggining
Mar 23, 2023 4:59 AM

Jul 2017
oh, I missed you so much  Kircheis.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 17 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 8, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 23 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 30, 2009

25 by bucciest »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 21 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

18 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 20 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

22 by Ten »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:10 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 12 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 28, 2009

35 by Neemesis_2 »»
Mar 30, 2023 2:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.