Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 27, 2013 7:53 PM

Jan 2013
Them sleeping together was adorable
Jun 27, 2013 11:10 PM

Nov 2012
nanami is kind of annoying this time -_-
well at last she is dead now :D
Aug 6, 2013 8:56 PM
Jul 2013
I have to agree with Shichika about what he said in the beginning. I was expecting Togame to be actually useful, but she feels like comic relief and fan service source. I expected this because the anime isn't listed as comedy in MAL.
Aug 26, 2013 1:04 PM
May 2012
I'm glad Shichika didn't kill Konayuki cause she is so adorable and looks like next episode Nanami will get killed seriously why did they have to say it just when I was thinking that Nanami will help Shichika and Togame well time to sleep will continue this later.
Oct 13, 2013 4:26 PM
Jul 2013
Morani90 said:
They better be trolling us again with this spoiler! Sure hope they don't kill Nanami... Ah man but it's still nasty to be dropping a BOMB like that during the last seconds of the episode. The damn terrorists!
Oct 19, 2013 2:30 AM

Feb 2012
um was the narrator's spoiler(?) at the end really necessary? togame mentioned: shichika is a human before a sword, and killing his only existent family member on the basis of collecting swords for togame isn't very human-like. if it's true i think that totally fucks with the character/communal dynamic of the show itself and i also like nanami so it's disappointing as well. i did immediately suspect it was her as the "other party" collecting swords, though.
Oct 21, 2013 8:37 AM

May 2013
The narrator is my most hated person here, seriously WTF is with the major spoilers? :(
Dec 20, 2013 11:16 PM

Jul 2013
"In his next fight, Shicika will undergo the experience of killing his own sister"

Any particular reason why they decided to spoil us?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2014 3:56 AM

Aug 2012
Nice spoiler by the narrator XD

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jan 4, 2014 12:21 PM

Aug 2013
It's weird that they spoiled us at the end...

The episode was really great. I was feeling bad for that little girl, even though she is super strong, she has lost everything she had...

I guess that town that was ravaged was destroyed by Nanami. Now, we already know that Nanami will lose, since they tell it in the preview -__-'
But I wonder how it will affect Shichiko. I know that he's pretty much heartless, but still, he lived with her alone for maybe what, 5 years? Why did she join that princess anyway? By vengence against Togame? Or even by jalousy against Shichiko?
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 8, 2014 5:18 AM

Apr 2013
Are we being trolled again ?
Jul 25, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2013
So Shichika ges hurt for the first time. That kid is strong lol.
I wonder how they transport all these swords?
Next ep is gonna be awesome.

Btw the narrator said Shichika is starting to have human feelings just when he said he's just a Togame's sword wtf
Aug 26, 2014 1:37 AM

Jan 2014
lol, dat last minute spoiler. Cannot imagine they'd actually spoil a major event like that after slowly building up and hinting to it over the past episodes.
Have to continue watching as soon as possible, damn.
Aug 27, 2014 4:29 AM
Aug 2014
My only complaint is the spoiler of epic and gigantic proportions at the end of the episode. I never read the novels so I honestly have no clue whats going to happen until it happens. Except for now I know that he has to fight his deranged beast of a sister....
Oct 8, 2014 10:44 PM

Nov 2011
Called it. Maybe. I figured Shichika would end up fighting Nanami later on, but this narrator isn't exactly trustworthy, so I don't know what to expect. Man... all of Shireizan, eh? I think everyone else is starting to realize how absurdly overpowered Nanami is, which we still have no explanation for.

Ah well. The next episode should be interesting, in any case.
Dec 14, 2014 11:27 AM

Aug 2013
Awwww they cuddle and sleep so close together.
Shichika asked a pretty serious question suddenly.. I'm surprised too.
Togame's yelling and blushing was really cute.. can't resist it every single time lol.
Shichika is slowly regaining his humanity. He doesn't seem as dumb as before.
They always end with a little hint for what's coming next.. damn it.
I don't think my heart can take it. Nanami is just too crazy strong.
She usually looks so charming but her smile is freaking scary !!
Please don't hurt my heart so much.. nooooo !!
Jan 3, 2015 2:00 AM

Jun 2014
Good lord! I am really starting to hate watching the Maniwani die off. I REALLY like them!
Glad the little girl survived. I had death flags all over her. Kinda figured the sister would go evil at some point. You dont keep someone THAT powerful as a background player.
But to think she SLAUGHTERED the entire village...Men, women and children. Holy shit.
Also there was a bunch of cute relationship stuff.
Also Mr. Sword had no idea what cold felt like.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 7, 2015 5:10 PM
Jan 2012
Oh damn, Nanami is going to die? I liked her. Was Nanami the person who destroyed the kid's village and killed all the people?

As for the episode, that kid is so adorable. AND STRONG. Wow. Oh, Togame and Shichika sleeping together was very adorable as well.
Jun 6, 2015 9:46 AM

Jan 2013
Shichika actually lost for the first time, not being able to read Konayuki's movements.
Glad it worked out between the 3 at the end.

I feel bad for the Maniwani Corps, only 4 left :/

Also ... c'mon with the spoiler, ridiculous - better be a joke.
Jun 9, 2015 2:32 PM

Nov 2013
DAT SPOILER....
Jun 22, 2015 12:06 PM

Feb 2010
This is one fucked up show.
Jun 22, 2015 5:10 PM

Dec 2013
Wow I can't believe how they spoiled Nanami's death lol

Damn that kid was strong. Can't imagine what the rest of her clan was like. Hope we eventually learn what was in her memories.
Jun 25, 2015 7:39 PM

Apr 2015
This plot is very good and I loved these characters.
Jun 27, 2015 1:58 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode the sleep scene with Togame and Shichika was adorable
huh
Aug 3, 2015 2:52 PM

Jun 2015
WTF?!?!? This narrator is hypertroll, first with the fight Vs Japan´s strongest and now with the spoiler of the fight againts hes own sister and how he will kill her!!!!. What kind of troll is this? Why did the narrator tell that?
Nov 30, 2015 11:42 PM

Feb 2010
Why would they say that at the end of the episode ;(((((

Dec 5, 2015 12:57 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
What the hell is wrong with them? Spoiling whole next episode?
Dec 18, 2015 9:47 PM

Jul 2014
Good character development.

Also, did they seriously spoil what was going to happen in the next episode? Fuck right off.

5/5
Mar 30, 2016 6:18 PM

Jul 2015
They where so cute together in the bed, i feel kind of sad that for the little girl, and the spoil at the end must be a joke, and even it wasn't it doesn't bother me that much !
May 3, 2016 11:01 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Midseason, and the characters are evolving, like the mystery is increasing, although missing some action for my liking.

---
Mitad de temporada, y los personajes evolucionan, al igual que el misterio se acrecienta, aunque falta algo de acción para mi gusto.
May 17, 2016 10:56 AM

Jul 2013
Cannot believe the narrator spoiled the next episode's plot. I don't know if be shocked or laugh at that.

So glad Konayuki survived, she was too precious to die. I kinda feel bad for Otter Maniwa, I liked him and he supossedly has aweome skills, yet he was killed at the end. I'm started to feel bad for all the Maniwa clan in fact.

Good to see Shichika is developing some feelings after that.
May 25, 2016 3:23 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
There's nothing I like or dislike about Shichika, but it's really annoying me whenever he replies, "because I'm Togame's sword." Just a nitpick I guess. I've seen over 75% of Hosoyan's roles, but never before has one line annoyed me so much, lol. I get that Shichika is becoming more "human," yet I still feel indifferent towards him. I thought I'd like him at the beginning, but he's been really bland, and it's half way through the series. And Togame is still meh, especially when she raises her pitch and is lecturing Shichika or saying some useless comedic things. The part where they were walking through the snow in the beginning I could've done without.

Damn Houou is really something else. What is the point of gathering the swords, to the point you want to negotiate by cutting your arm off (and offering to cut off the other one too) as well as sacrificing your own comrade? I feel like if he's willing to go so far, it must have to do with whatever his ability is, so that he is confident in negotiating this way. With the recent two abilities we learned of, body switching and psychometry, I don't think it's too far off to suggest that Houou can somehow take up others' abilities? That was the first thing I thought of when he picked up his comrade's head and body. Although the second thing I thought of was that he's going to give the guy a proper burial. Could be both, or just the latter. Losing the pscyhometry ability is a giant loss, so I think it's just a bluff that the Maniwani lost it, if Houou can potentially regain it. Anyways, this guy intrigues me, more so than our two main characters.

I didn't even watch the preview so I was spoiled by reading the comments here, lol. Although apparently it could also be a troll spoiler. While Nanami is super OP, perhaps Shichika can still win if he holds out long enough?
Jun 6, 2016 10:51 PM

Jan 2010

I rescind a previous comment I made about Katangatari perhaps being capable of condensing itself by removing lines of dialogue. Even with the joking moments, there's a certain weight to the things being said that offers some new way of looking at the characters or the situation. This anime is really strong on observations, taking every opportunity to highlight, discuss, and act upon the smallest details in each episode. There are very small moments like these scattered throughout the show that, and I think I'm just starting to notice them. Stuff like Togame recognizing she's weak, yet somehow weaponizing it into a threat, or Shichika's humanity having actual impacts on the story.

Still, was it convenient that Shichika's opponent this time was an 11 year-old girl who he couldn't kill for reasons of carrying the heavy sword? Was it convenient that we had a mind swapper ninja who forced Shichika to fight seriously despite that? Was it also convenient that there was a skill Shichika knew that could attack the tattoo without harming Konayuki? I'm nitpicking again, but it's because this anime is really getting me to pay attention, which is something I'm thankful for. In some ways, I wasn't surprised that Shichika stated he could kill Konayuki without hesitation if ordered, and give his blunt and straightforward nature, I think this is the first protagonist I've seen that I could imagine killing a kid with zero malice or regrets. It's not even due to a stoic personality or anything, it's just an order to him which he'd fulfill before going back to his nonchalant self. From the last episode, Shichika has been changing slowly, but I honestly didn't know what to expect. That's quite the accomplishment for the show.

By the way, it's pushing past 100°F where I am, so of course the story of June takes place in a blizzard.

...It might just be me, but I think Nisioisin's trait of screwing with his audience is becoming more and more prominant. And here I thought the April episode was the peak. Looks like there's more to come, especially with that ending narration. Goodness gracious the wait for next month is going to be painful.
Jun 8, 2016 2:08 AM

Mar 2014
And I thought DBZ's episode titles were bad, fuck this fucking narrator. FUCK!!!

Good episode, though. That kid's adorable.
Jun 18, 2016 6:07 PM

Dec 2015
... What the hell was that?

Ignoring the unnecessary trolling this was a pretty good episode. I like Shichika's development and I'm curious as to how that's gonna go. Konayuki was epic c:
Jul 6, 2016 2:02 AM

Jan 2016
Besides the unnecessary spoiler at the very ending it was a good episode.
The chicken ninja is crazy lol cut his own arm, killing his own comrade

Seriously wtf with the spoiler. I was thinking the sister might turn evil but come on now, why would do that to the viewers?
Aug 9, 2016 6:08 PM

Aug 2014
Even though the little girl excuse being OP doesn't make sense, the episode as a whole had a good development for the characters, Togame and Shicika interaction with each other is one of the best I've ever seen.

I think this is the best episode so far, and the snowy setting helps it.

They even spoiled the next episode, but with Katanagatari we can't be sure.

Sep 5, 2016 1:36 PM

Mar 2015
Another great episode, that Houou guy is despicable though!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 14, 2016 5:12 PM

Apr 2015
I'm going to have to stop listening to the ending, they give away wayyyyyyyyyyyy to much spoilers during the closing narration.

Overall this was the best episode in a while, second favorite so far. It wasn't a repetitive boss, the supporting character introduced was actually interesting, it dealt with the main characters humanity, and the setting was intriguing. The only real negatives is I feel like the ninja leader killing off one of his own kind of went against the clansman ship of the ninja group, even if they tried to use the lame excuse of "oh well it doesn't really matter cause we don't need ninja leaders". It just broke the character in everything we've seen from the ninja villains.

Also, I feel like even though it's a thin plot line, the female leads care and her dedication to growing the main's humanity is interesting enough to keep her around, even if she's an excuse for comic relief. Admittedly though, sometimes she's good at it and they make a cute couple. They're dialog in bed was amazing.

Oh and that really sad scene with the girl and the graves :(
observing a woman's body
Oct 14, 2016 5:15 PM

Apr 2015
Also saying that shichika is human before sword is complete bullshit and I don't know why they put that line so early in the anime. Isn't the whole point of this to more or less be a lazily written anti-thesis to most shonen samurai anime? She's slowly progressing his humanity over time, but they've only shown his human touches in really subtle ways. It's more and more per episode sure, but he even admitted that he would kill the small girl for the sword if he needed to. Saying he's human before sword at this stage makes no sense.
observing a woman's body
Nov 20, 2016 4:20 AM

Oct 2016
"If I die, please make all of Japan adopt 'cheerio' as a catchphrase". Man, I love Togame.
Feb 14, 2017 2:06 PM

May 2015
So even ninja squad has it's own Captain Ginyu. :D

I really like the Hulk-girl.

Next episode. NANAKI! :DD
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 14, 2017 1:53 PM

Aug 2014
Hmm so Creepy Sis gonna die next? The two of them went from care to don't care eliminate her when she got possessed...kay then.
Jul 18, 2017 7:09 PM

Jun 2013
I love how this show keeps playing with my expectations. After Konayuki was possessed, I genuinely believed she was done for. I actually believed it; that's how the moment where Shichika knocked Kyouken out of her was able to get a strong emotional response out of me. I should have seen it coming, and yet I didn't. Well done. It's actually a little unnerving how easy it is to be affected by the main duo's pragmatic attitude.

It was still a bizarre moment, because of the dissonance between the reason behind my relief and that of Shichika and Togame. But that moment wasn't just a emotional climax of the episode; it doubled as part of the payoff to the character development in the first half of the series for both Shichika and Togame. Sure, he spared Konayuki for a calculated reason, but this was still the first time he chose to spare someone by his own volition. And he recognized that Konayuki was lonely, again, by himself. I'll take that as progress. And Togame, well, she sees Shichika as more than just a tool at this point.

I think the preview wass funny. Since they've already done a bait-and-switch preview once, we have no way of knowing if Nanami really will die in the next episode.

Random thoughts: The Maniwani heads are dropping like flies; I hope we won't run out of them too fast. We never did learn how the mountaintop village was destroyed by an avalanche. The main two are growing closer to each other, and Shichika finally revealed his secrets to Togame.

Snappynator said:
The two of them went from care to don't care eliminate her when she got possessed...kay then.

Kyouken was a dangerous body surfer. They couldn't just let her go (she would just go on stealing people's bodies forever), so since they had no time for an exorcism, the next best thing was to take her out the first chance they get. Besides, after seeing Kyouken's previous body turn to ashes, I would figured that Konayuki's "soul", "essence" or whatever was wiped by default when her body was taken over. Good thing Shichika practiced some outside-the-box thinking.
LeeTailorJul 18, 2017 7:24 PM
Aug 11, 2017 10:52 AM

Sep 2015
Another really solid episode. I found Konayuki and the village of (mostly dead) mountain people to be kind of bizarre. But it worked for me overall. More than anything though. More than the cool and very different setting. More than the awesome new Maniwa we met this time. Including the Rabid Dog who was pretty nuts. I just love at this point watching Shichika and Togame's relationship grow. Which is good because the preview made it look like they may be in for nasty weather next time.

I loved their trek. Togame's dying wish being to popularize "Cheerio" got a big laugh out of me. As did Shichika just passing out because he didn't realize he was getting frostbite. But even more than the funny parts, they just had a lot of sweet moments together this episode. From snuggling together in the cave which was adorable. To Togame trying to cheer Shichika up after his loss to Konayuki. Their relationship has grown a lot over this series. And at this point it's enough of a draw to keep me watching by itself.

If I have one complaint about this episode. I thought Shichika being able to punch the Rabid Dog spirit off of Konayuki was a bit of a cop out. I mean part of me is happy she survived. As despite it's moments of levity this can be a pretty grim series. In which few supporting characters survive. And they did set up that without her they couldn't move the sword. But I don't know the method and execution were a little too convenient for me. Anyways lot of set up about some big bad hotshot going around slaughtering towns. Collecting swords against our two heroes. I have a bad feeling I know who it is based off the episode ending and preview.
Sep 17, 2017 8:52 AM

Oct 2012
Well I'm pretty sure all Maniwa ninjas are going to die at some point
I don't know.. It's almost like they don't need dialogues at all, they're all ended up dying pretty fast
Except the "Phoenix" leader

It all ended pretty well
If Konayuki's alive, you can always go see that adorable smile xD

Whoa whoa... what's with that spoiler for next ep :(
"Signature removed"
Apr 23, 2018 4:07 PM

Aug 2007
I think my favorite thing about this anime is actually the clothing. I absolutely love the themed Maniwa Corps animal themed pieces, especially.

Houou beheading Kawauso with the music suddenly stopping was p intense... The rest of the episode was average for me.

As for the ending? Well... I want to say it's another prank, but something tells me it's not. I think... there is something even bigger than her death or a good reason for her death, and the previous prank was to make you think it IS a fake narration? Thinking emoji,,,

May 14, 2018 9:14 AM

Aug 2015
Good to see Shichika slowly starting to show his human side these last 2 eps, in this case to reject Togame's orders and to made his own decision on not killing Konayuki. But as Togame said with it can also cause Shichika to dull his blade I bet this may be a potential factor now that next ep may involve killing his sister as what the preview says but with the way the show handles previews who knows if I should trust that shit anyway.

Cherirurero!

May 16, 2018 9:54 PM

May 2016
Konayuki was really adorable. Good thing Shichika didn't kill her as well thanks to his human empathy and craftiness improving. A person who's never gone by the book and trained under a style that's practiced again and again is truly unpredictable.

Her clan being known for unparalleled strength being wiped out by someone who is pretty much Shichika's sister is quite a surprise. If she was the one who did that, managing to wipe out another place where one of the swords were in just 30 minutes is even more intimidating. Just 4 more Maniwani. I wonder how they'll hold up for the remaining episodes.

Sep 23, 2018 6:08 AM

Dec 2016
This episode was pretty good, I just wanna know why they didn't attack the Maniwa lady in the 20 seconds it took for her to transfer bodies, but that pretty much happens in all anime so I don't know why I even bother to ask lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.