Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 6, 2010 2:43 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice episode. Some development on Matsukichi's and Yaichi's side and Masa's having Beriberi?! Again I love the art and pace of this anime. The style really suits the theme of the anime and Takahiro Sakurai's voice creates the most interesting mood like the calmness before a storm.

May 6, 2010 6:30 PM

Sep 2009
Wow, this was a really good episode. I'll admit, this show did start off a little bit slow, but it's really picking up, all while keeping that strange pace it had earlier.

Masa is starting to be a pretty good character, too. He does still seem to have that "bewildered new guy" thing about him that I always have a mild dislike for, but unlike most people in that role he actually seems like he might be going in and actually trying to actively find out about Yaichi.

And on that note, Yaichi is just such an intriguing character. I really can't wait to find out more about him, his motivations, his backstory, etc. Also, I get this weird feeling that, assuming this gets dubbed, he'll be played by Steve Blum. He just seems like a good fit.

And i'm really starting to like how all these flashbacks seem to be forming a Jigsaw Puzzle Plot.

Overall, great episode. Really hope it continues down this strong road.
May 6, 2010 8:26 PM

Aug 2008
Simply amazing, yet again.

So far, this has basically been a word for word adaption from the manga. The only scenes that have been added are all of the flashbacks (I can't confirm if they were in the manga later or not, as I've only read up to chapter 8 which finishes near the end of this episode). Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that Manglobe is doing a brilliant job with the pace and atmosphere. The surprising thing is that while each episode contains 2 30ish page chapters and a flashback, it still comes out at a calming slow pace...
May 7, 2010 3:43 AM

Nov 2007
I'm liking this more and more, although I can't specifically put my finger on why. Perhaps it is the calming pace at which it moves along, like a few others have mentioned. Or maybe it's Yaichi's sexy voice. XD;

It's funny how each 5Leaves member says the same thing about each other. "He's that kind of man" (Yaichi about Matsu & vice versa), "He did me a favour a ways back" (Otake & Matsu about Yaichi). Shows they're connected in more ways than they think.

+Masa moved in near Yaichi because he realised he could get to know more about him, and Matsu kept hinting that Yaichi had changed recently... because of Masa? THEY ARE IN LOVE GUYS, IT IS SO OBVIOUSSSSSS *pushes her yaoi agenda*
May 7, 2010 5:17 AM
Jun 2008
I can't believe Yaichi doesn't even panic at all when he is covering for the thief.Even there is blood stain on the paper door,He plan a strategic to cover it without even no worries at all.
(Fuck!! He stab his own stomach.He doesn't even look painful!!! )

The Cat is Damnn cute.Even the art of this Anime is not cute at all.Masa is quite cute actually or izzit quite pitiful?^^
I sometimes wonder how did Yaichi get such a talented informant(Masu).....getting crucial information in the palace is a very dangerous job....

I wonder what is Yaichi's past.I bet he come from wealthy family. He doesn't interest in money?...the more i hear 'bout Yaichi matter and his personality,the more I am interest in him^^
I have the feeling that this episode is all about Yaichi and all the member is help from him 0.0 ...
May 7, 2010 5:53 AM

Apr 2010
I'm starting to fall in love with the art. I really don't know why. Actually, this is probably my top this season... I'm not quite sure yet though.

Lol the scene when Masa came back to his room and that woman was in his bed was hilarious. He's so timid and unassertive.
And when Ume opens the door holding a butcher's knife! haha
May 7, 2010 6:08 AM

Dec 2007
This is definitely picking up!

The beginning where Yaichi stabbed himself to deceive was just brilliant.

Masa is shaping to be a great character.

Great soundtrack too to boot.
May 7, 2010 6:42 AM

Jul 2009
Another good episode that has managed to confuse me with it's ending. I hope they begin to link up soon~
May 7, 2010 6:48 AM

May 2008
This is getting more and more impressing. I love how we get a little backstory in each episode with leaping on the timeline. And I like Masa's personality~~
May 7, 2010 6:58 AM

Mar 2009
May 7, 2010 8:25 AM

Nov 2009
noisysound said:

lol, i actually agree. I've liked all the other episodes so far, but this one really didn't go anywhere. So whats wrong with masa? Did we learn anything about Yaichi in the end?
May 7, 2010 8:38 AM
Jun 2008
helur said:
noisysound said:

lol, i actually agree. I've liked all the other episodes so far, but this one really didn't go anywhere. So whats wrong with masa? Did we learn anything about Yaichi in the end?
In this episode, Yaichi become more mysterious than before.I guess this the preparation for the next or future episode ^^...Anyway,I think his background story is gonna be surprising ^^
( for me I am quite surprise that all the member seems to be in dept of him... Its like sometime I ask myself why he help all those people for what purpose.atonement? )

And Masa.....It seem I am quite confuse why Yaichi let him become a bodyguard in that place....Dunno what the heck Yaichi trying to think.Hopefully I think the answer lies in the next episode..Hopefully >.<
May 7, 2010 11:49 AM

Nov 2007
This was my favourite episode since the first. I just love the pacing of the show, the mood that it puts across just feels so unique. Masa freaking out after returning to his room was great. Also did some googling on Edo disease to see that it seems to be a vitamin b deficiency.
May 7, 2010 1:30 PM

Apr 2010
Good episode. I really am loving the pacing and the art in this show, especially the colors. Also, the opening has really grown on me. I caught myself singing it a few minutes ago...

May 7, 2010 1:30 PM

Mar 2009
this shows atmosphere really reminds me of mushishi!
May 7, 2010 1:42 PM

Apr 2009
awesome episode AGAIN :D

i want moore xD
May 7, 2010 3:13 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Gozaru.

May 7, 2010 3:14 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmmm, so that's how everything began ? Quite nice flashbacks once again and a great character developments in this episode. The atmosphere and the amount of details are really impressive too.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 7, 2010 3:59 PM

Apr 2010
helur said:
noisysound said:

lol, i actually agree. I've liked all the other episodes so far, but this one really didn't go anywhere. So whats wrong with masa?

He has beriberi. It's a vitamin b deficiency.

EDIT: sorry, wasn't paying attention. Someone already posted that. ^^
May 7, 2010 6:48 PM

Jul 2009
I'm having a hard time to differentiated those girls, they look alike except for their kimono's color, pretty so-so episode i hope it's only a build up for the next episode
May 8, 2010 10:03 AM

Aug 2008
This show exceeds in tone and chemistry in a way that few other new shows this season do. The whole scene in Ichi's room with the Matsu and the tea was so great. The lighting, the stillness, and Ichi & Masa's looks at each other, on top of the dialogue was just perfect. I really have a handle on all of the characters, and I love seeing Masa fumble around everyone and cast his eyes downward in despondence.
May 8, 2010 6:44 PM

Nov 2007
The ending was sympathetic.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
May 8, 2010 6:45 PM

Nov 2007
It was an okay episode.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
May 8, 2010 7:00 PM

Sep 2009
Vizard said:
The ending was sympathetic.
Vizard said:
It was an okay episode.

There is an edit button.
May 9, 2010 4:07 PM
Jul 2008
Slow episode, but the story ran all over the place.
Hopefully more action next time.
May 10, 2010 7:47 AM

Jun 2009
noisysound said:

Exactly.
That's all I've got to tell about this episode.
Neesan-chanMay 10, 2010 8:04 AM
May 10, 2010 3:03 PM

Aug 2009
Bleh boring, this anime better pick up soon.
May 11, 2010 1:50 PM

May 2009
The art, music, voice acting and overall sound makes the atmosphere really great. Liking this more and more each episode.
May 12, 2010 4:42 AM

Jun 2009
Traveller said:
this shows atmosphere really reminds me of mushishi!

Except this show is fucking boring as shit.
May 12, 2010 9:20 AM

Jul 2008
Loved it~ \o/

This episode blew the previous ones right out of the water.
May 12, 2010 9:24 PM

Jul 2008
noteDhero said:
This show exceeds in tone and chemistry in a way that few other new shows this season do. The whole scene in Ichi's room with the Matsu and the tea was so great. The lighting, the stillness, and Ichi & Masa's looks at each other, on top of the dialogue was just perfect. I really have a handle on all of the characters, and I love seeing Masa fumble around everyone and cast his eyes downward in despondence.
Yes! I agree so much. I'm glad to see someone else appreciating the atmosphere and not just declaring it "boring."

Seriously, if you're finding the series boring I'd recommend you to just drop it and stop wasting your time. I'm pretty sure the pace is not going to be changing anytime soon. There are a lot of other things to watch, no need to force yourself to watch something not suited to your tastes.

BEGINNER
May 12, 2010 9:56 PM

Jun 2009
adamantine said:
noteDhero said:
Yes! I agree so much. I'm glad to see someone else appreciating the atmosphere and not just declaring it "boring."

Seriously, if you're finding the series boring I'd recommend you to just drop it and stop wasting your time. I'm pretty sure the pace is not going to be changing anytime soon. There are a lot of other things to watch, no need to force yourself to watch something not suited to your tastes.

I finish what I start no matter how bad it is.
May 13, 2010 8:06 AM

Jan 2009
What is this I don't even.

Anyway, I think Yaichi is a pretty cool guy, he takes stabbings and isn't afraid of anything~

*One hour later*
That was a long episode, wasn't it? ~.~
Too much morals thought, take the money and be happy with it instead~
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 18, 2010 9:55 AM

Dec 2009
^^' letting himself stabbed for a stranger , Yaichi sure is weird ..
May 28, 2010 11:36 PM

Jul 2007
Awesome shit.
Jun 15, 2010 1:16 PM

Sep 2008
the show is perfect for me and my mood these days. The only problem is the flashbacks of yaichi...I think it would've been better if these were left for later episodes, kinda kills the whole mystery of yaichi's background. Apart from that, and the bad choice of op/ed for the show, I find there's nothing to complain at all. Its quite relaxing; the pacing and direction is calm and confident, and I really love the deep color palate.
5/5
eyerokJun 15, 2010 1:20 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 18, 2010 12:05 PM

Jul 2007
szugioh said:
I'm starting to fall in love with the art. I really don't know why. Actually, this is probably my top this season... I'm not quite sure yet though.

Lol the scene when Masa came back to his room and that woman was in his bed was hilarious. He's so timid and unassertive.
And when Ume opens the door holding a butcher's knife! haha

I agree wholeheartedly.

Oct 29, 2010 11:41 AM

Feb 2008
Masa definitely need to MAN THE FUCK UP
Mar 15, 2011 8:47 PM

Oct 2008
=D
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 12, 2011 8:33 PM

Feb 2010
Greatttt episode!!

What's up with Masa's weak legs/fainting..etc? I think there's more than just mal-nutrition...

either way... great, relaxing episode.
Aug 1, 2012 10:05 PM

Jul 2011
Lol Yaichi and the woman. XD

I'm enjoying this series, surprisingly.

I'm used to the art now too. :D
May 19, 2013 8:44 PM

Nov 2011
>The restroom must of been cold
WOW.
Feb 17, 2014 12:34 PM

Aug 2013
Mmm, what's happening to Masa? He seemed really weak this episode. He looked almost poisoned.

Also, would it not be the first time that vassal son get kidnapped? xD

We now know Matsu past. He was just a normal burglar.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 31, 2014 11:33 PM

Apr 2014
Lots of Yaichi and Masa development. I wonder what it is about Masa specifically that makes Yaichi feel like an egg to be cracked open.

Insufferably good de gozaru.
Jun 22, 2014 7:57 AM

May 2012
I quite like where this is going, the character development is awesome! Let's see what's next.
Feb 1, 2015 11:05 AM

Apr 2014
this seems more like a josei than it does a seinen. it's not distinctly one of either though.
Feb 18, 2015 9:53 AM

Jun 2014

Oh Masa :D
SteppenfuchsJul 12, 2015 2:52 PM
Jul 11, 2015 6:27 AM

Aug 2014
I really like Yaichi's character, he's very interesting, I can't wait to figure out what's up with him as the show goes on.
Oct 13, 2015 2:23 AM

Dec 2012
It's strange. This show is slow and calming, yet I'm hooked as each episode passes by too quickly. "Won't there be a dowry?" I love the way Yaichi thinks, his mind is nothing short of mesmerizing. And there's always those shots of his face that just send shivers all around. Also loving the subtle hints for why their group is called Five Leaves. Presumably if that boy from the flashbacks is Yaichi, I'm willing to bet Take borrowed the name from the leaf-like scar on his back.
Nov 27, 2015 6:53 AM

Aug 2014
the opening scene was great.

poor masa, flinching back into a corner when there s a woman in his futon. I really hope the heaviness in his legs isn't something serious.

That's two member who Yaichi granted them a favour. Is ume in yaichi's dept as well?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 5 Discussion

Dunky - May 13, 2010

38 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 4:49 AM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 7 Discussion

plagalcadence - May 27, 2010

32 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 20, 2023 1:18 PM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

bbobjs - Apr 22, 2010

68 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 16, 2023 2:01 PM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bbobjs - Apr 15, 2010

129 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
May 16, 2023 4:36 AM

Poll: » Saraiya Goyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - Jul 1, 2010

136 by Nemo_Niemand »»
Dec 15, 2022 1:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.