Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 1, 2022 7:31 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
With the small amount of story development we got with this first episode, it will be interesting to see how this will play out with only a 4 episode run. It seems like a recipe for disastrous pacing, but I will give it a chance. The mystery is slightly intriguing, but it hasn't fully gripped me yet. The anti-xenophobia messaging is a little too heavy handed, but I will give the show the benefit of the doubt that it will eventually play a larger role in the overall narrative rather than being a sloppy and lazy political insertion, which may very well be the case here.
Oct 1, 2022 9:28 PM

Sep 2008
I will get this anime Housing Complex C episode 1 4 out 5 stars.
Oct 1, 2022 9:34 PM

Sep 2021
like wise on the 4 episode situation, the mystery is going to need to develop a lot to hold my attention, hoping for a demented twist or disturbing realization towards the later episodes. we shall see......
Oct 1, 2022 9:36 PM

Mar 2014
"Optical illusion" has all the energy of "must've been the wind..." from Skyrim NPCs lol

For anyone familiar with Cthulhu mythos, the adults removing that Elder Sign from the room at the start was a great red flag lmao
Oct 1, 2022 10:25 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So Housing Complex C is an original anime mini series with the English dub airing on Toonami. On the surface it looks like everything is fine in the Kurosaki village where Housing Complex C is located, but that place has a very dark history. The Housing Complex is home to a bunch of old people and a young girl named Kimi. There's something off about Kimi, but we don't know about it yet. There seems to be an underground basement that seems to be more than just a place of storage(probably an ancient tomb/burial ground). Then you have a bunch of foreigners moving into the complex where we see another young girl named Yuri. The relationship between the locals and the foreigners is somewhat rocky as the locals don't know how to communicate or deal with foreigners which to some xenophobic behavior from the locals. This is typical with most Japanese people who aren't accustomed with dealing with foreigners especially in remote areas with mostly elderly people living there. Kimi and Yuri introduce each other and become friends and they start exploring that underground basement except they find these strange drawings. We lean that the Housing Complex is home to a shut in(hikikomori) who made those strange drawings.

I'm not sure if we are going to be Junji Ito level of horror in four episodes, but I'm willing to find out since Halloween is around the corner.
Oct 2, 2022 12:42 AM

Sep 2013
English dub only ewwww what were they thinking

guess i'll wait for all the episodes to release and for a bluray with japanese dub if that's even possible for an hbo max show.
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 2, 2022 2:16 AM
Jul 2020
man this shi was ass. I took a shit in the middle of an ad break on toonami and came back missing nearly a quarter of the episode
Oct 2, 2022 3:28 AM

Jul 2020
This was something weird.. At this point it's difficult to tell who's supposed to be the main character - is it the painted rock or the dried up dog corpse?

Looks like it's gonna be the same as corpse party, just murders for the sake of murders

I really liked the ED though
InexplicableOct 2, 2022 5:41 AM
Oct 2, 2022 5:35 AM
May 2010
The first ep is decent, didn't expect it to be basically an adaptation of Lovecraft down to even the fear of foreigners.
Oct 2, 2022 5:43 AM

Oct 2019
Some truly weird stuff going on. I missed like the first min of the ep so i dont know exactly what happened. But i know there was some island (assuming where the housing complex/this story takes place) and some invaders killed the natives and the princess used her voice to kill them.
Im wondering if this is like some sort of reincarnation thing and kimi is the princess girl and the girl who arrived was the one who got killed at the beginning. And based on the ed or op i guess, the big foreigner dude may seem like trouble.
Things that truly were eyecatching was the old professor dude seeing that water creature climbing the cliffside where those kids and funeral procession were at, as well as Kimi on the roof at night looking through her hand and seeing all those red eyes. And that big kid, that would have freaked me out being in a dark area and something big runs past me.
I do like the OP im assumin towards the show.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 2, 2022 5:57 AM
Jul 2018
The two most important character are going to be Yuri & Kimi. The Plot is still not there, and there are only 3 episodes left, either 3rd & 4th episodes are going to be very fast paced or there will be a season 2.
The episode was okay, 6/10. I liked Kimi's character, it's enjoyable and the dynamic between Yuri & her is not bad. The pacing & English voice are little bit weird, as for animation... it's what I expected it to be.
The opening is pretty decent, it's not bad... not bad at all.
The most I was looking forward to was Horror and it was there, I liked how Kimi saw several monsters on the jungle but thought it was an optical illusion, lol. I liked the way how they started the episode, showing Kan trying to kill kimi & Yuri and in the episode later we see him as a helping person who saved Yuri. Overall, decent episode!
Looking forward to the next episode!
Oct 2, 2022 6:16 AM
May 2020
bruh as soon as i heard the english dub i stopped watching
Oct 2, 2022 6:22 AM

Sep 2021
Finally an horror anime for october
Oct 2, 2022 8:13 AM

Apr 2011
The most terrifying thing about this show was having to watch it in English.

Nice start tho, I'm interested.
Oct 2, 2022 8:59 AM

Nov 2010
This is even worse than Chinese dubs. What kind of hellish dimension are we living in where the Japanese version of an anime doesn't even exist?
Oct 2, 2022 9:04 AM

Dec 2021
What a dumpster fire. I'm struggling to think of anything positive to say.
Oct 2, 2022 9:36 AM

Feb 2017
goddamn i was looking forward to new spooky anime for october, i can't take this eng dub seriously man i'm not even 2 minutes in and i'm laughing. guess i'm keeping this one on the ptw list, hopefully a jpn dub version will be released. sigh, another L for me and my horror anime.

maybe i'll go rewatch shiki or smth,

placeholder text
Oct 2, 2022 10:04 AM

Jul 2021
Hmm this was quite good I think.

I hated that this wasn't available in Japanese but oh well, the dub wasn't bad at all. Just the voices of Yuri and Kimi sounded really un-cute, no other complain.

IDK if this is because I know this is an horror anime but I got startled multiple times while watching this episode lol. But that scene where baka Kimi takes Yuri to the underground storeroom alone and then suddenly they hear someone and a figure passes them, that scene genuinely scared me haha.

That flashback at the start was pretty intruging. If I had to guess it seems like those people killed past life Kimi and past life Yuri's screams killed those people.

Other things like those monsters and the NEET's creepy drawings don't make any sense just yet. This show seems pretty interesting, too bad it's only gonna be 4 episodes.

Wada reacting to foreigners went just as I had read about old Japanese people reacting to foreigners lol. Poor big guy was judged too much by people around him.

Also, Kimi, Kimi wa baka ka? Who tf stands outside the railing like that and screms oPtICAL iLLuSIOn. She's 9 I get it but still bruh. Well that gave a chance for the big guy to show he's a nice person so it was all good at the end.

Kimi's dad is quite old and seems like her mother is expired too.

I wonder what Hideo does that even makes his mom scared of him. When you're a shut-in I think it should be the other way around and that's the case when you are not a shut-in too. Bro must be really troublesome if even his own mother is scared that she'll make him angry.

Wada really said their prayers sounded demonic bruh. I'm sure there are places where people would have killed her for saying that.

5/5 episode. Looking forward to next one.
TsutanaiFuunOct 2, 2022 10:10 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 2, 2022 11:10 AM

Feb 2020
Really loving the Lovecraftian vibes of this. Really enjoyed the first episode, kinda has an old-school horror anime feeling to it. Just in time for spooky month, too.
Oct 2, 2022 1:01 PM

May 2018
1. The long lost brother of Ghost Stories has being found...mummified to 4 episodes.
2. Kimi looks sus. Is she a local goddess who is actually behind everything?
Oct 2, 2022 1:06 PM

Jan 2018
getting a Higurashi vibe from this in a way, nice start though I won't lie even if the pacing is a little fast. I don't know why everyone is shitting on the dub, I thought it was pretty decent especially for an Adult Swim collab but who knows this is just the first episode just waiting to see where they go from now.
Oct 2, 2022 1:25 PM
Nov 2020
I did a bit of research in the credits sequences and honestly the only person that gets me excited for this whatsoever is Yoshitoshi Abe as original character designer. I feel this is gonna be a flop of a horror anime but it isn't gonna be a long one so why not watch it all. it seems to reference alot of Lovecraft and even a bit of higurashi. which is some horror I can get behind. but we will see if the references are meaningful, because I doubt
Oct 2, 2022 1:27 PM
Nov 2020
alshu said:
1. The long lost brother of Ghost Stories has being found...mummified to 4 episodes.
2. Kimi looks sus. Is she a local goddess who is actually behind everything?

my bet is she is the reincarnation of the other little girl and they both are the reincarnation of the local goddess or something. I feel they would pull a Rika.
Oct 2, 2022 2:58 PM

Jan 2008
Oh, dear lord, I tired, but the English voices are abysmal. Made even worse by me knowing who the Japanese voices for Kimi and Yuri are going to be: Ayahi Takagaki and Haruka Tomatsu, two amazing veterans from the SAO anime, and many more. Yeah, call me back when the Japanese dub comes out.
Oct 2, 2022 3:39 PM

Feb 2021
It was pretty dull. Good luck to all who watch this.
Oct 2, 2022 6:16 PM
Oct 2017
very intriguing, I hope the Japanese don't screw it up in the end like always
Oct 2, 2022 7:59 PM

Jun 2017
I hope more is explored on this Hideo character and his mom. I'm genuinely curious what's the story there.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 2, 2022 9:08 PM

Jan 2017
I've been reminded to the fact that anime is absolutely unwatchable with English dub. Seems like C Danchi will be terrible anyway, but I'd watch that 4 episodes, however I'm not masochistic enough to want ear cancer too.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Oct 2, 2022 10:23 PM

Apr 2016
Terrible English dub, and there's no Japanese dub? What kind of sick twisted hell world allows this kind of production to go through and be the only way to watch?
Oct 2, 2022 10:27 PM
May 2020
How to kill the chance of any new age horror story being interesting:
1. Mention and elude to Cthulu several times within the first 20 minutes.
2. Oftenly play loud sound effects at the immediate appearance of something that's supposed to be remotely scary/horrific.
3. [insert generic horror music here]
4. Have a redditor as a character (A.K.A. somebody who strictly makes Cthulu fanart, has acne, lives in dark room). Doesn't matter how often they show up, once is enough.
5. Make it an anime.

Yes, there are such things as good horror anime. Higurashi (except Gou and Sotsu), Shiki, Summertime Rendering (first half particularly).
Oct 2, 2022 10:40 PM

Mar 2020
Inexplicable said:

Looks like it's gonna be the same as corpse party, just murders for the sake of murders

PLAY
THE
GAMES
!!!!!!
Oct 2, 2022 11:08 PM

Aug 2020
English dub only and it wasn't even that good. sad but i have to put it on permanently hold

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Oct 3, 2022 8:02 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
That one girl is creepy. Her mother is probably dead I think as well.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 3, 2022 8:06 AM

Jan 2018
Decent first episode, the standard for horror anime is very low so this was a pleasant surprise.
Oct 3, 2022 9:01 AM

Dec 2010
I've forced myself to finish the first episode with English voices to the end but nope, that's just too much. Intrigued to start actually watching it when it gets a proper voice acting release.
Oct 3, 2022 9:58 AM

Apr 2020
it's is a fine episode, i liked the suspense

Oct 3, 2022 11:15 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Not too bad so far but it's kinda annoying there is only english dub available, otherwise it's mostly settings and making the big brother as mysterious/creepy as possible, hopefully these girls will find the truth
Oct 3, 2022 12:52 PM
Oct 2021
This will be the best comedy of this season. Mark my words.

Episode starts with two girls running from a guy who's clearly a bit crazy. They go down somewhere dark, one of them pushes a shelf at him and then smacks him with a stick, leading to him stepping back and breaking a jar of water. A rainbow reflects on the water even though we have no sunlight reaching this place, and it's the middle of the night. Regardless, the crazy guy sees the gay flag and has a flashback to old times where a bunch of men in armor are going into a cave with their swords to slaughter 2 girls. Ah the good times. After they kill one of the girls, the other starts yelling and her yelling turns all the men to stone and melts them. Flashback ends and a chad in glasses comes in and smacks big crazy dude with a stick. We can already tell who of the two girls is his daughter. Big guy makes some noises before we cut to title card.

I already knew that I'm in for a good time by this point, but the anime kept giving.

We are now in the peaceful times and a guy spots something with fins and decides it's nothing. He talks with his buddies about how hot it is. A cicada dies so it doesn't have to suffer through the rest of this horror story. It is here where we see Kimi, and she also complains about the heat, sitting in the sun while there's shade right next to her. This girl is too stupid to live through this show without some plot armor.

They find a dead dog. That dead dog and the whole place should smell like shit, but things don't degrade in this show I guess.

Kimi stupidly stands on an edge and almost gets herself killed. Imma keep count of how many times this girl almost gets someone killed, including herself. At night she sees a bunch of big lizards with red eyes and just goes "OPTICAL ILLUSION". She gets introduced to the new girl called Yuri and immidietly takes her down the scary place.

They are walking side by side one second, before Kimi disappears and shoves a dead dog in Yuri's face. This would be Yuri's cue to never get close to this crazy girl.

A big man that's so engulfed in darkness the flashlight doesn't illuminate him one bit passes by them. Kimi says that going deeper into where he came from is better than staying in the same place. She actually gaslit Yuri into forgetting that getting the fuck out of there is an option. They find the shut-in son's pen and return it to him. And he draws them a decent illustration in 6 fucking seconds. Man is definitely talented.
Some creepy stuff happen, and Kimi breaks a figurine that the shut-in guy had on the floor outside his room. I mean...mate that's completely on you.

Big fish people, creepy cult people, crazy people with powers, animals dying randomly. This is the hidden gem of the season and no one can tell me otherwise.
Oct 3, 2022 12:58 PM

Oct 2019
the starting sequence was laughably out of place and over the top. they tried the "hook the audience by showing them something from later on" technique, and it back fired.

now that said, the rest of the episode was actually solid. and the characterization is surprisingly decent. the production value is also, while not being great, is better than I thought it would be from the trailer.

if it goes well and doesn't mess up, this can be a solid and enjoyable 6 or 7/10 show
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 3, 2022 10:58 PM
Mar 2021
unless episode 2 is extremely different itll be an ok show at best but i feel like itll become full horror next ep so i shall wait
Oct 4, 2022 12:11 AM

Mar 2019
Can't believe I sat through that entire episode. That was awful.

First off, it's atrocious that there isn't a Japanese language track available. The line delivery was often bad and stiff. Secondly, I feel like the look of the anime clashes with the horror elements. I guess I was supposed to find the mermen scary, or I was supposed to be disturbed by that guy chasing them in the beginning, but it all felt goofy because of how it looked visually.

Whatever, I'm bailing already.
Oct 4, 2022 12:32 PM
Sep 2020
Very interesting, it feels more like a mystery than a horror
lets see where this story goes, i am hooked, it feels like it is building up to something and this episode is only a set up
Mack_YeagerOct 4, 2022 12:39 PM
Oct 4, 2022 12:34 PM
Sep 2020
anime-prime said:
With the small amount of story development we got with this first episode, it will be interesting to see how this will play out with only a 4 episode run. It seems like a recipe for disastrous pacing, but I will give it a chance. The mystery is slightly intriguing, but it hasn't fully gripped me yet. The anti-xenophobia messaging is a little too heavy handed, but I will give the show the benefit of the doubt that it will eventually play a larger role in the overall narrative rather than being a sloppy and lazy political insertion, which may very well be the case here.

Yeah the mystery elements are certainly intriguing, i think the story is meant to be a short one, either way i am intrigued with the premise
Oct 4, 2022 2:47 PM

Jun 2009
this is why we never get horror anime. it always ends up being trash.
Oct 4, 2022 4:39 PM
Jul 2017
Very heavy and on the nose with the Lovecraftian themes. It even has racism in it lol. It looks promising but I've never heard such abysmal dialogues in an anime.
Oct 4, 2022 6:53 PM
Sep 2020
this seems pretty interesting ngl
Oct 4, 2022 9:44 PM

Apr 2022
This feels like a strange show to be made specifically for adult swim and toonami of all places. There’s no crass humor, no violent over the top action sequences, lots of dialogue, and the characters are pretty stock anime characters. The English dub sounds pretty awful with awkward line delivery and really childish dialogue. It’s also clear that it was made with the Japanese language in mind, but somehow we’re only getting the dub.

Maybe it being on adult swim means things will get a little weirder later on.
RunasiusOct 4, 2022 9:48 PM
Oct 5, 2022 3:20 AM

Oct 2019
Kinzo said:

you say this... but like... made in abyss one of, if not the best active anime. and that show is FULL of body horror. top tier body horror at that.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 5, 2022 7:31 AM

Jun 2009
Apolygon2 said:
Kinzo said:

you say this... but like... made in abyss one of, if not the best active anime. and that show is FULL of body horror. top tier body horror at that.

what are you talking about, made in abyss is clearly a very cute adventure anime, not horror! silly apolygon2.
Oct 5, 2022 7:38 AM

Oct 2019
Kinzo said:
Apolygon2 said:

what are you talking about, made in abyss is clearly a very cute adventure anime, not horror! silly apolygon2.

Oh yeah.. right.. how did I forget?

Also available at:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one who enjoyed it?

PetelgeuseDES - Jan 2, 2023

22 by Destroyer31 »»
Feb 26, 1:12 AM

Poll: » C Danchi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Oct 22, 2022

84 by Destroyer31 »»
Feb 26, 1:10 AM

Poll: » C Danchi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Oct 15, 2022

58 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 29, 2023 8:53 AM

Poll: » C Danchi Episode 2 Discussion

TheBlockernator - Oct 8, 2022

32 by alshu »»
Dec 27, 2023 11:20 PM

» only english dub available? ( 1 2 )

just_mii - Oct 3, 2022

57 by Mei-o_Scarlett »»
Jan 6, 2023 12:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.