Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 20, 2013 7:00 AM
May 2012
Kuandohan said:
Tenma can't shoot someone who is, let alone defenseless, but Johan's taunting and the evil that he emits is horrifyingly intimidating.
It may be even harder for Tenma to shoot Johan, for the fact alone that Tenma saved Johan's life.
Roberto was trying to kill Tenma, which will definitely affect your actions.

It's one thing to say "I will kill him." It's a completely different thing to actually kill.

Nina's resolve is conflicted by the fact that he is her twin brother. Now, if my brother did these things, I know that no matter what, even if they were terrible things, I would definitely hesitate to kill him. I mean, he's my brother. My true brother. People don't understand what it's like to be a twin. It's not like normal brothers at all.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn

Listen to this guy he knows what's happening.
Oct 10, 2013 12:42 AM

Jul 2009
wow just wow!!

definitely one of the best episodes ever!!!!

first off, the reason why Tenma was able to shoot(not kill) Roberto is because of the life and death situation.

it even showed the flashback with the Commander, it's either him or you.

Johan is not even trying to kill Tenma, but rather intimidating him to do it. he knows Tenma will be scarred for life if he did this.

i'm just glad Roberto is fucking dead, that fucking price lived waay too long now :P

wow Tenma helping the people to get out, and it just so happens that he only has two bullets left lol XD

i have a feeling that those black lines around Johan's cornea is the death of hundreds of people he saw all these years.

Algirdyz said:

One thing truly shocked me. The scene with Karl in Schuwald's office. His mom is also from czeckoslovakia like Johan and Anna. But not only they were from the same country. Karl's mom and Johan's father were close friends. It is highly possible that Johan is Karl's step brother too. It also seems that Johan lived with Margot in Germany for quite some time. They even participated in that bank of darkness thing, which was told about in that villa few episodes back, together. And of course, Johan is the one who killed Margot. It is also quite obvious since he killed all of his other foster parents.

i too notice that Karl's mom Helenka are acquaintance with the real mother of Johan and Anna.

though Karl being step brother of Johan is possible as well!!

and i knew the bank of darkness incident!! this is how Johan was able to get alot of money and even became head of the establishment soo soon.

i do wonder why Helenka didn't tried to find Karl? was it because it was too dangerous for him to be involved?

i have a feeling Schubert does know who Johan truly is. so that's why Johan went after him.

i don't agree what you said in the last paragraph, in the last few episodes the fake Margot Langer(Red Bitch or Blue Bitch whatever) said she first tried to trick Helenka by opening up to her in the past, and when she knew she was Margot Langer who had conceived a child with Schubert. she killed her while she was drowning in sorrow. that's how that fake bitch managed to used Schubert for money.

though she did say Johan was there(i don't think so though), so maybe Johan made Helenka mentally disturbed and that fake bitch killed her right away?

and lol Nina get's inside of the Library so easily upstairs. why the hell didn't people go there(well they did went up, but was weak to climb even more)

i don't even know why people are talking about Tenma not being able to shoot Johan.

look at what Johan did when he predicted the staged would fall down just like that.

seriously that's one of the most badass things i have ever seen.

walking there not touching anything, and then someone dies!

please Nina be alive!!!!!! i don't want Mamiko Noto to stop voicing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schubert might have been dead though.

man i wonder what Lunger would think of this!!!!

next episode!!!
Dec 7, 2013 4:24 PM

Aug 2011
Fumofu said:
This is beyond ridiculous now. There was such a perfect opportunity to finally shoot that blonde bastard that you couldn't ask for better one. Now i can't help but wonder what must happen that Tenma would manage to point his gun and pull damn trigger. As we saw he can only shoot in self defence, so that means only Johan himself can make that idiot doctor to shoot him?
This episode wasn't epic at all. It felt like some cheep plastic drama. And it's so disappointing that i almost wanted to drop this anime.... ><

This after 37 epic episodes, this one shitty episode makes me like to drop the series, so fcken ridiculous
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Dec 9, 2013 12:08 PM

Nov 2013
I think neither Tenma nor Anna wants the other to shoot Johan because neither of them wants the other to become a killer. Besides, there's so much more to learn about Johann's motives and his (and Anna's) past - it ain't time for him to die yet!
Dec 23, 2013 7:42 PM

Sep 2011
Goddammit Tenma...

Gave you props for pulling the trigger on that one dude, but man... JUST SHOOT THE BICH.
Jan 8, 2014 3:53 AM

Mar 2013
Nina killed herself? what? also, johan is a monster,literally XD
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 23, 2014 1:33 PM
Mar 2013
DARN IT TENMA! SUCH A FLIPPING WUSS!:(
Feb 9, 2014 12:48 PM

May 2013
WTF Tenma?! This dude should go home and let Anna handle her brother.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Mar 28, 2014 11:04 AM

Oct 2013
Tengai said:
If I were in that library I wouldn't panic like those people.

LOL Bullshit.

vilmarbf said:
Nina killed herself? what? also, johan is a monster,literally XD

What episode were you watching, the stage collapsed how is that killing yourself?!

Anyway, are you fucking kidding me with this episode. Don't get me wrong, it was epic and I love the show and this episode but holy crap. I can understand Tenma getting startled from Johan walking up to him like that but then there's the Nina VS Tenma resolve issue and ugh, just frustrating to watch but the writer knows which viewer buttons to push lol.
May 23, 2014 12:52 AM

Apr 2012
I really don't understand why they won't just shoot the fucking guy lol. The only explanation is the guy has so much influence over others that you just can't touch him. It's like he can make a girl pregnant just by staring at them. Yea idk

May 28, 2014 6:50 AM

May 2011
badass cliffhanger, until that ending song.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jun 14, 2014 1:47 PM

Jul 2011
The tension. I'm so frustrated that they didn't shoot him! Why did they chase him all across the country then!! ARGH! Well I knew he wouldn't die. We're only half-way through.

I wished he missed the opportunity though, rather than throwing it away. Now why will they chase Johann? They can't kill him. The police don't believe Tenma.. :/

I love Johann, but I can't wait to see how he dies. :P
Sep 4, 2014 10:42 PM

Jan 2014
My main problem with the show so far is that it has a habit of having some excessive, unnecessary flashbacks. Example: the one in this episode showing Karl as a kid and his mom. We've already seen that, why show it to us again? It just wastes time and is ultimately pointless. If there's one thing that will hold me back from calling this show a masterpiece, it's its overuse of flashbacks.

Other than that, good episode. To everyone calling bullshit on Tenma not shooting Johan: you're not taking into consideration that Tenma was going to immediately die if he didn't kill Roberto instinctively, as opposed to his situation with Johan at the end. You take that into consideration, and take into consideration that Tenma struggled so much with shooting him earlier as well, it makes complete sense.
zacrathedemon5Sep 4, 2014 10:45 PM
Oct 23, 2014 9:18 AM

Mar 2012
Holy shit it`s Happening!!!!!!!!!
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Oct 28, 2014 9:16 PM

Nov 2011
Like others have said, there's a big difference in shooting to protect yourself and shooting someone who poses no direct threat to you. At that, I would suppose simply being in Johan's presence would be suffocating if you knew what kind of person he is. Also, since Roberto was given the classic disney death, I'm not entirely convinced that he's actually dead.

Nina, on the other hand...

Does anyone else find it ironic that they're both trying to kill Johan, yet they're both trying to stop one another? Had it not been for that, Johan may very well have died in this episode.

So Shubert is connected to Johan, though in a way I didn't expect. Shubert's "wife's" female friend was apparently Johan and Nina's mother. Shubert is like an uncle in a loose sense, while Karl could be called a cousin by the same logic.

It looks like they're going with the literal interpretation of the picture book, or at least Johan is.

That was an intense episode.
Jan 2, 2015 3:01 PM

Nov 2014
I really hate it when dumb, unrealistic shit happens just to keep a series going... It's still entertaining, though.
Jan 5, 2015 3:17 PM

Dec 2013
Bunch of weaklings, Johan just walked past them like a boss.
Anyways these 2 last episodes were great and it doesn't seem to stop soon.

Also this:
Yonatay said:
Woah, he actually shot someone :o
Feb 3, 2015 12:21 AM

Nov 2013
DAMMIT TENMA! YOU HAD SO MANY CHANCES TO FINISH JOHAN AND YOU FUCKED IT UP! NOW DOZENS MORE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE!

At least he killed that bastard Roberto so I can't be too mad.

I hope Nina didn't die. She's too beautiful to die. :'(

Looks like I'm gonna have to endure another 35 more episodes just because Tenma is too much of a cunt to kill the man he brought back to life. Come on man! This anime could have been over episodes ago!

Still. Monster is an amazing series nevertheless. Though I'm kinda pissed about how much of a coward Tenma is.

8/10 for this episode.

Feb 15, 2015 2:10 PM

Mar 2013
At least Tenma could shoot someone and Anna did too. i was surprised that Anna and Johann's mom was friend with Karl's mom. The story will more back then.
Mar 28, 2015 8:17 AM

Nov 2014
Well, you don't need to go for the kill tho, you can just disable him, wound him, but not deadly and then, let the police arrest Johan and then, do a jail sentence, for the "humanity"(for carrying a gun without license, hiding information from the police and etc), or not?
Then, there're Gillen, Reichwein and Wolf to even further enhance the case for Johan being the killer of all those people, and, possibly Schuwald, if he's still alive. Maybe even that guy from the former Interior Ministry, forgot his name, that was taking "care" of Dieter also confess about Johan.
That kid also, who survived the fall of a building.
There's Eva as well.
And lastly, Richard detailed case about Johan.

One thing I like to know is, how the heck did they endure the heat and smoke in there, seriously, like it was nothing. Also walking through huge flames for making it looking cool doesn't justify the fact that you'll get burned, or possibly something more.
Mar 31, 2015 3:27 AM
Nov 2014
Crazy episode, Johan is such an interesting character.

Roberto died, good :)

that ending though :(
Jul 20, 2015 6:40 AM

Nov 2013
Wow, best episode so far. Favourite part was when Tenma tumbles down the stair case only to see the others slowly crawl up. Finally, there's some action. The last part tho... did Johan just casually walk into freakin' fire. Doesn't that equal a roasted Johan. 10/10
Jul 25, 2015 10:15 PM

Jul 2014
5/5
Aug 31, 2015 9:56 PM

Dec 2013
Tenma actually did it! But still failed to kill who he needed to kill the most -_-

Wow wasn’t expecting that ending! Anna I’m sure will be fine but I’m not too sure about the old man.
Sep 1, 2015 3:40 PM

Dec 2013
I like how both Anna and Tenma were trying to stop each other. Anna's got dibs though.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 24, 2015 4:15 PM
Sep 2015
Ranivus said:
so it takes 38 episodes for Tenma to realize that he cant shoot a gun when every viewer in the world knows that ever since episode 1 :( Killing that idiot had no story progression whatsoever. So he shot a damn subordinate... he had so many oppertunities to finish the job (and the series) if he pulled the trigger. But now that his fail status has solidified, we're here to endure another 30+ episodes of him trying to shoot again?? i mean sht :(

i would've been fine if he shot him now, and then worked the rest of the way to clear his name or at the very least do more renegade surgeries w/o this weak drama.

they shouldve shown ep 1-5, then 36-38 then 70-74... theres your whole season in a nut shell :(

...what a waste

Couldn't agree more.
Sep 26, 2015 1:06 PM
Jul 2015
Am I the only one that is on johan's side

Dec 15, 2015 10:02 AM

Aug 2015
Epic episode. I like how Johan was just walking towards Tenma and putting his finger at his forehead. Also it took 38 episodes for Tenma just to hit someone on shoulder. *sigh*
Jan 10, 2016 9:02 AM

May 2015
So Johan just walked away.

NOW HOW DID THAT HAPPEN
Feb 27, 2016 2:00 PM

Sep 2015
While I do absolutely love the show so far, I really thought this episode wasn't done well. I don't mind Johan not getting killed (more episodes, hurray) and I don't mind Tenma not being able to shoot him in cold blood (unlike Roberto) AND I even like how Tenma and Anna both don't want the other to kill, it's just the way they both had CLEAR SHOTS and he just walked away cause they both were telling the other not to shoot that was totally preposterous. Still really looking forward to the rest of the show, but hopefully nothing like that happens again.
Mar 13, 2016 6:17 AM

Feb 2016
Like other people commented, this episode, this show has been a copout. I'll add another point to it, as a neurosurgeon who has seen many people pass away, you would think he would have the mental preparation to kill him.

Tenma can't be blamed for the serial deaths in the past, he was just doing his job, but he certainly as hell can now be blamed for any future deaths, directly and indirectly.

Hell, I've lost all fks about Lunge arresting Tenma, he deserves it.

This anime is from my memory within #20. But so far, the plot has been very predictable, sluggish at times, and repetitive... I've been reading every comment til now and I'm definitely not in the minority here.

It must have one hell of a turnaround and ending to change people's perspectives
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 13, 2016 8:33 AM

Jun 2011
Getting used to people passing away isn't the same as killing someone yourself. ^

"Guys, we've come this far, 38 episodes in, but be patient, the plot demands Johan to be kept alive, so all shots will be missed. Incidentally, the bullets not only missed his vitals, but also any part of his body. If he was shot, he wouldn't be as cool anymore, would he?

Thanks for dropping by, and I hope you will enjoy the second half of the series as well. We have 30 more episodes of Tenma and Anna yelling at each other, not to shoot Johan."

People: "Johan is besto villain, he has that charisma! He won't die even if he was shot at. His charisma aura diverted all the bullets, baby."
Me: "Uhm, yea he was cool as fuck, but uhm.."
Although to be fair, Johan was using reverse psychology, he crept the fuck out of Tenma, tempting him to actually shoot him right in the forehead.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 14, 2016 9:58 AM
May 2016
I honestly do not know how I feel. Tenma finally has progressed and is able to shoot someone; however, it is only due to dire circumstances and it was not even Johan. How can this show keep up for a little over 30 more episodes?
May 31, 2016 2:55 PM

Feb 2013
Both just watched him go away, I guess that those guns are just for scaring people.
Jun 1, 2016 6:54 PM

Apr 2014
an intense episode. i don't think Nina died, it's too soon. but man Johan really is invincible in a way. he knows they can't kill him...although Nina did try, if only it weren't for the smoke. i don't think Tenma is ever going to kill him, although it would be a nice twist if he did

also funny how they're both trying to kill him but also don't want one another to be murderers.
belovingJun 1, 2016 7:36 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2016 4:30 AM

Aug 2014
This Episode is so intense, the best in the whole series.
That scene where Johan points to his head is so good.
I wonder why he didn't shoot? maybe because Johan has supernatural powers that manipulate people?

Excellent Episode, loved Anna.
Jul 20, 2016 4:04 PM

Jul 2015
did tenma just kill someone omg
Aug 8, 2016 8:40 AM

Jul 2008
maybe tenma hesitated because he pointed at his head, which is where johan had a bullet removed by tenma when he was a kid? and then anna showed up and caused more hesitation.

i forgot why anna would stop tenma from killing johan. if it's to kill him herself then... that's dumb. she can't aim for shit.

what i want to know is how johan is gonna get away as being innocent from this whole thing.
Sep 12, 2016 5:37 AM
Sep 2015
Wow this show just took a major hit with me with this bullshit episode. Defending Tenma cuz Johan was unarmed? Oh please. He shot Roberto to save himself, but he couldn't shoot Johan to save himself, nina, and the however many dozens or hundreds of people will be killed because of him. The show could've ended right here or it could've continued with what Tenma did after killing Johan, but instead the same scenario of Tenma and Nina/Anna/Whatever arguing over who should and shouldn't kill Johan continues. They're gona have to come up with something incredible to excuse this trash plot device.
Oct 22, 2016 11:58 PM

Jan 2016
Only reason i'm not giving this a 5/5 is because of that dumb ending! Johan was right there bruh and this nigga still didn't shoot him even tho we just witnessed him killing another human.

Shit is stupid they could've ended the whole series right here but instead we got another 36 episodes cause of Johan's plot armor smh
Dec 16, 2016 12:35 PM

May 2016
First things first I hope that Roberto was dead
I think the twins that Karl mpther talking about maybe Johan and Nina so As I thought he couldn't pull the trigger and Johan run away
Jan 28, 2017 8:31 PM

Jun 2009
Suffice to say, I agree with those who say it actually makes sense that Tenma couldn't make the kill. How often has the show relayed to us viewers that he just isn't a killer? Yeah, he shot Roberto, but that his someone actively trying to kill him.

What doesn't make sense, however, is those acting like Nina didn't shoot at Johan several times. With the obvious intent to kill at that. Now, why is Nina more willing to shoot than Tenma? Well, is it not implied that she too is a "monster"? Something to consider.

Also, and I think this is fairly obvious at this point, the message of this series is pretty anti-violence. Tenma and, despite what I've said before, even Nina embodies this to a degree.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 31, 2017 10:09 AM
Feb 2015
love how this is going
Jun 13, 2017 10:14 PM

May 2015
I know this is a psychological anime... I want Tenma to shoot Johan. I am also trying to put myself in Tenma's position, he is a doctor, his job is to save lives, not take them. Killing someone is a very serious matter to him, I get that and I know it is not easy. I bet I would also hesitate to shoot Johan despite what I said but for god's sake, at least shoot him in the leg or something... to just let him walk past you, by the way a mass murderer without even trying to capture him, is mind numbing. *Sigh*
Jun 18, 2017 2:16 AM

Oct 2012
Nice time to hesitate
Now they're dead
Ok maybe not Anna/Nina xD

So, it's time to Johan to kill more I guess
Good job! Thank you for not killing him!

At least Roberto died.. right?
Who am I kidding he must be alive, it's anime!
"Signature removed"
Aug 6, 2017 8:15 AM

Jul 2017
Im happy Tenma didnt shoot, he made sure he didnt lose to the monster inside him
BUT NINA WHY DIDNT YOU KILL HIM? HOW DID YOU MISS
ah but at least roberto died... i mean, he is dead, right?
Aug 18, 2017 1:11 AM
Sep 2013
So basically none them was able to kill Johan (who passed literally through tenma !) because they both didn't want the other to become murderer huh?
This is stupid, futhermore why didn't Tenma pull the trigger as soon as he saw Johan ? The guy had like 10000 occasion to shoot him...He even shot Roberto before so it wasn't like it was his first time...

Monster is overated
Feb 1, 2018 2:36 AM

Jan 2018
Agree with the comments about Tenma being able to shoot Roberto in self defense. Also, Johan pointing to his own forehead must have reminded Tenma that he had saved this person's life before and hesitates to take it now. Makes sense to me.
Feb 3, 2018 8:41 AM

Jan 2016
Finally, Roberto is dead. (or at least I hope he is)

OMG, all of the main characters are on the stage. :)

What an Epic Episode!
Apr 19, 2018 11:30 AM

Feb 2015
Seeing Roberto die is so satisfying.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 7, 2008

109 by tectacles »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 44 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trie - Mar 10, 2008

434 by HEBl »»
May 17, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 6, 2008

130 by tectacles »»
May 12, 6:37 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

626 by wibugar »»
May 9, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.