Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2022 12:14 PM

Oct 2010
We know our current world, everything is about money and all that but it's not always the case, not all anime are made to promote some city/tax program (Jashin-chan Chitose-hen https://myanimelist.net/anime/40661/Jashin-chan_Dropkick__Chitose-hen?q=jashin%20chan&cat=anime) or your regular LN.
So, from your experience and knowledge, what anime was made just because some people wanted to show their ideas/sakuga etc to the world, I'm thinking about something like One Punch Man, of course I know it's based on a manga but the way the staff got together and made it with limited budget and only sheer of will, was something you can truly name a "passion project"

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-11-11/the-secret-of-one-punch-man-success/.95251
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 25, 2022 12:24 PM

Sep 2020
I guess those traditional Japanese animes what represents the culture of Japan like "those snow white notes" or any other anime based on japanese traditional art/music (I'm not sure tho)
Sleepy_TotoroJan 25, 2022 12:31 PM
Jan 25, 2022 12:35 PM

Dec 2020
I’d say Takt Op?
Most originals I guess

7/10 thread

Jan 25, 2022 12:35 PM
Jun 2016
I think Mob psycho 100 is definitely a passion project. I don't remember it doing well in Japan, but still managed to get full adaptation, that too by studio bones.
Jan 25, 2022 12:38 PM

Sep 2020
Every Wit Studio Anime I guess....!!!
Jan 25, 2022 12:40 PM

Oct 2014
All of those shorts films that are only shown at art galleries and museums I think would classify as passion projects. The Young Animator Training Project also has anime made where the commercial success of the anime is irrelevant since the point is to have animators be able to work on a project to improve their skills, which isn't exactly the same as a passion project, but it still exists outside of the realm of doing things just for money.
Jan 25, 2022 12:43 PM

Mar 2020
Redline is the definition of a passion project

It was in making for 7 years, almost bankrupting the studio because a single man wanted to create an anime with the core idea of animating speed. It ended up having a way bigger number of frames than an average anime movie and in the process, they made the best animation in the history of anime.
Jan 25, 2022 12:49 PM
Nov 2021
Monster
Vinland saga
Silent voice
Kingdom
Ashita no Joe
Jan 25, 2022 12:57 PM
Mar 2021
Flip Flappers. the production team was given money and resources to make SOMETHING with minimal oversight from upper management, and just went hog wild with "Pure Imagination". there is never any consideration in the show's design about making it marketable, easily comprehensible, or a totally viable commercial product. whether or not people like it, it is so much itself. There really is a kind of purity to it, also kinda feels like if Trigger had good writers.
Jan 25, 2022 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
Tendo_GM said:

It was in making for 7 years, almost bankrupting the studio because a single man wanted to create an anime with the core idea of animating speed. It ended up having a way bigger number of frames than an average anime movie and in the process, they made the best animation in the history of anime.

redline is one of the most based works of media ever made, whether in animation, soundtrack, or the process behind it
although I dont know if its the best animation, dead leaves is pretty close imo (and by one of the same animators iirc)
Jan 25, 2022 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
I see Turn A Gundam as a passion project for Yoshiyuki Tomino. The show just bleeds excitement in the early episodes that it's almost infectious to the viewer. Those opening episodes are dense with thematic exploration and you can tell Tomino wants the audience to explore those ideas with his level of enthusiasm. Not to mention, Turn A Gundam has an all-star team involved with the series. I mean, you have Yoko Kanno for music, Romi Park as Loran, and freaking Syd Mead for mechanical design just to name a few. I also get the impression this was the type of Gundam series he always wanted to make, but was unfortunately held by back Sunrise. Not here. This is full blown auteur Tomino and it shows.
Jan 25, 2022 1:14 PM
May 2021

I'd have to say Re:Creators was a passion project, just because of the story itself.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34561/Re_Creators

It's simply a love note from "Creators" to "Creators", alot of people don't see that in the anime.

Plus it's an original and not based off any other media.

The character arcs through the series are so intertwined.
Jan 25, 2022 1:39 PM

Jul 2021
Maybe Little Witch Academia from Trigger? When they were a small studio they went to kickstarter to get money instead pitching the idea to a bigger studio or producer, or cutting too many corners to fit it in their limited budget at the time.
Jan 25, 2022 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
Lots of those. First, Ghibli. Takahata's Kaguyahime is the most expensive anime / japanese film production in history, a piece idealized for decades and one that quite never paid off financially. The studio wasn't even profitable back in the days of Totoro.

Gainax were a bunch of otaku doing anime, and you'd be lying if you said they weren't goddamn good at it. Furikuri is, for me, the pinnacle of their creative legacy.

4C / Madhouse / I.G. were all about bringing disregarded talents to the spotlight for passion projects of their own. Yuasa, Hosoda, Katabuchi, Iso, Okiura, Koike, Imaishi are to name a few.

Finally, there are those who rose to prominence through the bloody realms of television animation, some of which were noticed and ended up at the aforementioned studios, sadly a dying race. See, though an extremely demanding field, long-running shows are proper for refinement and creative freedom as there isn't nearly as much supervision on there as there is, say, the film front. Ikuhara's Sailor Moon Super makes for a nice example. When certain lucky circumstances are met, these guys then go on to produce their own shit, such as, ta-da, Utena. In fact, Ikuni was also a producer on this. Could have well been his last project ever because of that (for a decade, it was), so he gave it his all while directing the series. Results were splendid.

KyoAni has the friendlist working ethos of them all, and allows creativity to spring forth from a plethora of talented creators, despite their limited catalog. In Hyoka, episode directors were allowed to do whatever the hell they wanted. K-On is, of course, the best thing ever. Both feature among the most consistent TV productions of any time.

Passion projects generally happen when passionate creators meet passionate producers (e.g. Ojamajo Doremi), and anime's limitedness plays into their passions' genuinity.

I thank you for lending me the opportunity to advertise some of my favourites. Now go watch em, everyone.
Jan 25, 2022 2:01 PM

Mar 2020
H_M_Q said:
Tendo_GM said:

redline is one of the most based works of media ever made, whether in animation, soundtrack, or the process behind it
although I dont know if its the best animation, dead leaves is pretty close imo (and by one of the same animators iirc)

Best thing about is that it flopped at the box office like crazy, didn’t get nearly as much money it needed to cover the production cost. Ended up being just a cool anime that was made with not much money earned.
Chad moment
Jan 25, 2022 2:05 PM
Jul 2018

Sonny boy is so good

I haven't finished it yet but it's been great so far

It has a lot of what I loved about FLCL but in a more long-form story, with a lot of the wacky cartoon zanyness trimmed off and replaced with a really clean, calm, precise artstyle and tone (while still having a really surreal setting and storyline)
Jan 25, 2022 2:20 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Princess Tutu, Space Patrol Luluco, and the original Magic User's Club! OVA are the first passion projects that come to my mind.
Jan 25, 2022 4:39 PM

Dec 2020
Just like the first user said, traditional anime are the most passionable like Mononoke
But the most one is Doraemon

For your Information:

Jan 25, 2022 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
Midori is the best example. It was produced by one person and in Japan during screenings they'd use live scare effects and actors
Jan 25, 2022 5:25 PM
Aug 2015
Erebus_Akeldama said:
I’d say Takt Op?
Most originals I guess

7/10 thread

Takt Op is ad for mobile game so far from passion project unless you count the game too. But the game seems just as average gacha game.
Jan 25, 2022 5:57 PM

Apr 2018
Mushoku Tensei

IIRC, the producer started Studio Bind to get this series adapted and there's more to come. You can see the passion oozing out of the show from the beautiful openings & world-building, 6 year production time, and MULTIPLE FULLY MADE UP LANGUAGES.

Jan 25, 2022 11:02 PM

Jul 2017
Dragevard said:
Mushoku Tensei

IIRC, the producer started Studio Bind to get this series adapted and there's more to come. You can see the passion oozing out of the show from the beautiful openings & world-building, 6 year production time, and MULTIPLE FULLY MADE UP LANGUAGES.

The different opening visuals and songs used for different regions, the languages that were made up and can be legitimately deciphered after some guy researched it a while back, all that was the director's choice and suggestions to the author. And the author and director worked with each other well too and the author even was responsible for the script for the finale. MT could've released earlier if a generic anime adaptation was done and the author was cool with it, but Magonote only wanted an anime if it was going to be done properly and fully and boy have the producers, director and staff in general absolutely nailed it with the first season and the amount of love and care put into it, even with visual storytelling to make up for some lost monologues and exposition. Even animators fighting over the responsibility for the Kishirika scene in episode 1 of the 2nd part was such a cool thing to see from the outside.
Jan 25, 2022 11:35 PM

Mar 2021
Idk original Flcl i guess. Another one is Ping-Pong the animation probably.
Jan 25, 2022 11:44 PM

Apr 2017
Space Dandy 2nd Season definitely seems like one.

Every episode has such a different style and plot, that to me it comes across as an opportunity for the creators to take a concept wherever they want, without worrying as much about studio interference like in the case of a regular anime.
Jan 25, 2022 11:49 PM

May 2018

Everybody is talking about this scene being incredibly amazing...and I am not impressed you guys!
Also the "bread scene" is freaking ugly.
Your standards have fallen lately or what?
Jan 25, 2022 11:53 PM

Jan 2021
Any anime from studio passione I guess.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jan 26, 2022 12:33 AM

Dec 2020
artonedi said:
Erebus_Akeldama said:
I’d say Takt Op?
Most originals I guess

7/10 thread

Takt Op is ad for mobile game so far from passion project unless you count the game too. But the game seems just as average gacha game.

I just saw it as a passion project sinse the studios didn’t really have to make this sinse it’s an original and stuff.
That was my logic at least

@Tendo_GM Ahh naruhodo
Domo
Erebus_AkeldamaJan 26, 2022 1:20 AM

Jan 26, 2022 12:44 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
I am very sad that up until now, no one has mentioned "Touhou Gensou Mangekyou: Memories of Phantasm." The reason why it's not on MAL is that it is literally a DOUJIN PROJECT. FANMADE. A passion project.

It is also sad that it's not an anime qualified for MAL, but without MAL's guidelines, it is unarguably an anime.
Jan 26, 2022 12:51 AM

Jan 2018
Ex-arm. What is more passionable than a group of randos joining together for the love of anime lol
Tendo_GM said:

jokes aside probably nothing comes close to Redline in this case.
FZREMAKE said:
Any anime from studio passione I guess.

They seem too passione for ecchi
Jan 26, 2022 12:57 AM

Jul 2020
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2182/Robot_Carnival?q=carnival&cat=anime
Robot Carnival is one of those Anime that we will call "Pure Passion Project".
The synopsis will tell you why.
Tendo_GM said:

To add to that, the movie sadly made a huge loss. But Madhouse studio is still staying strong. Huge respect to them.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 26, 2022 1:07 AM

Jan 2021
I've heard that David Production really loves Jojo.

Same goes for Gintama from Sunrise too. Not sure about Bandai Namco because I haven't reached their part yet.
Jan 26, 2022 1:17 AM

Mar 2020
Erebus_Akeldama said:
artonedi said:

I just saw it as a passion project sinse the studios didn’t really have to make this sinse it’s an original and stuff.
That was my logic at least

It’s not a passion project…
Mobile Game industry is the biggest and highest earning entertainment industry in the world, Gacha games are the highest earning mobile games.
The reason why Madhouse and Mappa took on the project is because they want money, mobile game companies pay EXTREMELY well for anime adaptations and it’s the sole reason why studios take on Mobile game adaptations from time to time, to get quick cash, even Shaft did if before the latest NishioishiN anime.

So it’s not a passion project, they had to make it cause they want money, it’s an “original” because the mobile game doesn’t have a story so the studio had to write their own.
Jan 26, 2022 1:19 AM

Jul 2012
While it partially misses the point of the thread as making anime geared for commercial success straight up wasn't a thing back then, I feel the old pioneers like Seitarou Kitayama, Noburou Oofuji and Yasuji Murata (among others) deserve a shoutout. Their passion for a medium that didn't even exist before them (talking about Japanese animation specifically) laid the groundwork for all the others to follow.

@kyuqtonic Great reply!

@Tendo_GM Agreed, the passion put into Redline oozes from every frame.
SleepingBearJan 26, 2022 1:24 AM
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Jan 26, 2022 1:35 AM

Jul 2015
I think Gothicmade is the most intense example of that.
Jan 26, 2022 1:46 AM

Jul 2021
Tendo_GM said:

Seconding RedLine. That s*it looks dope.
Jan 26, 2022 2:01 AM

Apr 2020
Seconding redline, and re zero as well. They removed the ops and eds and so had to animate 3 more minutes of content, and then used the full extent of their time slot, extending the episodes to 30min. Not only did this decrease ad revenue, but the cost of animating 6 extra min is higher. If that isn't passion, then I don't know what is

"A single 'thank you' is worth more than a million sorries."
-𝐸𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒾𝒶
Jan 26, 2022 2:13 AM
Sep 2021
Ofc it's redline tho movie got a ridiculous basic story....bt salute to mdhouse
Jan 26, 2022 2:33 AM

Feb 2019
Not sure, but adaptation of decades-old already finished source materials probably. Eg. Parasyte, Banana Fish, Dororo
Jan 26, 2022 7:47 AM

Mar 2016
Mushoku Tensei is probably the best example of a passion project as of right now. I haven't seen any other series getting this much effort into production in the longest while.
Jan 26, 2022 9:05 AM
Oikawa's Wife

Feb 2012
Yuri On Ice is often called a passion project - the writers had been pitching it for years and years and finally got it animated after agreeing to downplay the gay romance. Not to mention the animation intensity of the skating scenes burning through a crap ton of money, I'm sure.
Jan 26, 2022 7:27 PM

Jul 2016
Most anime tagged "Original" in one form or another feel like passion projects. Megalo Box is a solid example of the sort. Using all the old forms of classic anime into a modern 1 core anime. Plus any AnJ fan will find the story references/inspiration nice.

Redline is another obvious case, RIP Madhouse.
Jan 27, 2022 1:16 AM

Nov 2019
GuP and Symphogear immediately comes to mind.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jan 27, 2022 1:27 AM
Dec 2019
Dorohedero was made because tge author likes slipknot and heavy metal so there's that
Jan 27, 2022 1:56 AM

May 2021
Obviously the Naruto franchise. Every episodes are crafted by blood sweat to deliver amazing ideas with a very consistent quality. They don't do it for money, they do it for people to learn their own ninja way. Absolutely passion project.

Jan 27, 2022 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
Any western cartoon inspired by anime is technically a passion project. Avatar, Teen titans, Ben 10, etc.

All Japanese anime exist solely to make a quick buck. None of them are passion projects. No exceptions.
Jan 27, 2022 6:46 PM
Jul 2018
A lot of those experimental 80s OVAs definitely feel more like passion projects than cash grabs.

Shinichiro Watanabe has also stated in interviews that it's often very difficult to get his projects greenlit due to not being marketable enough in Japan, Space Dandy in particular took a while to be made.

Oban Star Racers took years to get off the ground because executives kept demanding that Molly be made a boy, but the creator would not budge.
removed-userJan 27, 2022 6:49 PM
Jan 27, 2022 7:52 PM

Jan 2013
Violet42 said:
Flip Flappers. the production team was given money and resources to make SOMETHING with minimal oversight from upper management, and just went hog wild with "Pure Imagination". there is never any consideration in the show's design about making it marketable, easily comprehensible, or a totally viable commercial product. whether or not people like it, it is so much itself. There really is a kind of purity to it, also kinda feels like if Trigger had good writers.
Alright, alright, I'm going to finally finish Flip Flappers, now you can get off my back about it.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Sep 28, 2022 5:54 PM
Dec 2017
I would say dead leaves as its pretty much for the lulz lmao.

Sep 28, 2022 7:30 PM

Feb 2016
chiricoS said:
I think Gothicmade is the most intense example of that.

That is among the first examples to come to mind.
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

17 by LeonhartAugust »»
10 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

72 by MadanielFL »»
16 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

40 by Kruszer »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by AzafuseKingTora »»
19 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

52 by Lucifrost »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.