Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 8, 2021 6:04 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Last week, we modified the display of favorites on profiles (desktop) to match the Recommendations carousel. This was meant as a temporary solution to support the addition of a fifth favorites category—which will be released in the upcoming weeks as part of a different development project.

However, after carefully considering the combined feedback we received following the change, we have sped up development of the planned new Favorites page and released it today.

A dedicated page for favorites enables viewing all favorites at once: without clicking and with title/name information clearly visible on the side. Meanwhile, the profile supports larger thumbnail sizes while acting as a favorites snapshot or summary—like the other profile sections (friends, history, stats). Since the dedicated favorites page displays all information without clicking/hovering, we were able to remove the title overlay from the thumbnails on the profile page, and thus reduce the image size to fit ten items in a row.

In the future, customization options should enable members to choose which favorite categories they want to display on their profile and in which order.

I've heard various requests for favorite categories over the years and in the last few days. The most common and frequently requested are:
  • Studios
  • OP & ED
  • OST
  • dividing People favorites into role/job based sections
If there is anything else you'd like to add to this list, please feel free to add them in this thread or my suggestion thread.

We hope that this change will improve usability, while also enabling expansion and further development. Please let us know if there are any continued concerns.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 8, 2021 6:11 PM

Jul 2015
looks so much better now, looking forward to more customization options
personally i'd really love to be able to display 10 voice actors separate from my other industry favorites
oyabuntaroDec 8, 2021 6:18 PM
Dec 8, 2021 6:29 PM

Jan 2009
please do not add favorite studios as that will add misinformation since what matters is the production committee more and even the anime staff list

only exceptions for studio favorites will be like Kyoto Animation and Ufotable and ye add Toei because most anime staff are like free lancers and i heard some sakuga experts are saying 70% of the anime industry are free lancers anyway

so the anime staff list matters more than the studio most of the time

source from sakugablog https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1395124873169670156
degDec 8, 2021 6:41 PM
Dec 8, 2021 6:32 PM

Jun 2014
Okay, this is actually better.

Also, now my favorites when I scroll down on my profile are of a more reasonable size, and I can see all 10 per category without having to do more clicking. Thanks for the improvement.

Dec 8, 2021 6:41 PM

Oct 2021
Finally, the favourites now look so much better!
Dec 8, 2021 6:45 PM

Aug 2017
Good. People who were making a big fuss about favourites should have waited a bit lol.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 8, 2021 6:46 PM

Jan 2021
alright it's better to look at now

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Dec 8, 2021 6:47 PM

Jan 2009
@hacker09

maybe they took inspiration from your browser extension? https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1976932
Dec 8, 2021 6:48 PM
May 2020
Kineta said:

I've heard various requests for favorite categories over the years and in the last few days. The most common and frequently requested are:
  • Studios
  • OP & ED
  • OST
If there is anything else you'd like to add to this list, please feel free to add them in this thread or my suggestion thread.

If OPs and EDs could get two separate categories and not just one, that'd be nice.
Dec 8, 2021 6:52 PM

Aug 2018
Not too keen on the new page but I'm just glad all ten favorites fit into the main profile again.
Dec 8, 2021 6:52 PM

Apr 2020
deg said:
please do not add favorite studios as that will add misinformation since what matters is the production committee more and even the anime staff list

only exceptions for studio favorites will be like Kyoto Animation and Ufotable and ye add Toei because most anime staff are like free lancers and i heard some sakuga experts are saying 70% of the anime industry are free lancers anyway

I second this
Dec 8, 2021 6:53 PM

Jan 2021
Thanks mal for hearing our suggestion

Dec 8, 2021 6:56 PM

Mar 2021
IT LOOKS BETTER AND CLEANER! Looking forward to the new favorites categories!
Dec 8, 2021 6:59 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Kineta said:
In the future, customization options should enable members to choose which favorite categories they want to display on their profile and in which order.
Thank goodness. I still don't like how the collapsible only lets you see the first three categories, but if I can eventually choose which three I want to see, I can dig it.

• Studios
  • OP & ED
  • OST
I'd like to see a Favorite Episodes category.

A dedicated page for favorites enables viewing all favorites at once
It looks kind of bland at the moment. If you're giving the favorites their own dedicated page, then you've got room for more detail than just [pic | name | text]. I think something with larger icons and a bit more information would look better. I've always kind of liked the way Studio pages and Seasonal pages are designed:
Larger covers, studio/score/genre info, member count, etc. Probably wouldn't need the synopsis in there, but I wouldn't mind having that either. At the moment, there's just too much empty space for me to find the page useful:
dierubikdieDec 8, 2021 7:21 PM

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Dec 8, 2021 7:06 PM

Aug 2020
Fixed. It looks better now.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Dec 8, 2021 7:07 PM

Aug 2017
I support a list of episodes or openings and I could also rate them
Dec 8, 2021 7:13 PM

Aug 2020
I agree for the OP & ED, OST section of favorites so I can remove them on my profile layout! It'll be a great information on profile. I hope we can see this in the future

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Dec 8, 2021 7:15 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I suppose this is a nice compromise. At least our feedback has been heard, thank you! :D

RegulusX said:
deg said:

I second this
I third this.

fwdd said:
If OPs and EDs could get two separate categories and not just one, that'd be nice.
I second this.
Dec 8, 2021 7:19 PM

Jul 2021
This is actually a lot better if you were to add more favorites like Op / Ed but I think it's up for you to decide because it's quite time consuming to find album pictures but I hope it can make it happen because just adding the picture of the key visual from the anime to where the Op / Ed is coming from would be a bit dizzy or me to look at if I have the anime itself in the favorite
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 8, 2021 7:22 PM

Oct 2018
Great improvement. I really like this new favorites page, and I like seeing 10 favorites at a time instead of the 8 or whatever it was before. Right now it feels weird having to click an arrow to see only one extra category on the main profile page, but I guess that'll make more sense once there are more categories.
Dec 8, 2021 7:35 PM
Dec 2017
Well now this looks less cancerous now!!

Dec 8, 2021 8:26 PM

Jan 2020
So there will actually be a favorite section for OPs and EDs? Now that sounds like some cool shit.
Dec 8, 2021 8:57 PM
Councilor

Apr 2017
Kineta said:

Does this mean if I were to disable all of them on my profile, they would still be able to view the new page for favorites or no? I would love a toggle on profile but doesn't affect the separate page. Thanks for all the hard work in this new feature! Appreciate you and the team working on it!
ChaduosDec 8, 2021 9:01 PM
Dec 8, 2021 9:34 PM

Jan 2020
Thank you for this. It's much better now and I'm looking forward to future updates

Dec 8, 2021 10:03 PM
Feb 2015
Nurguburu said:
Good. People who were making a big fuss about favourites should have waited a bit lol.

The fuss happened because it got done without a warning. Yeah warning on Twitter..like who checks that?
Dec 8, 2021 10:41 PM
Sep 2015
restrictions on favorites are not going to remove? It's just that 30-40 titles are released per season...several new favorites appear every year, I don't want to get rid of old ones, I would like to freely express gratitude with my heart in general statistics without "game of thrones"
I think there is too much empty space...

I could also add 90 selected manga and characters each, but I think the essence is clear. All this can be neatly and clearly arranged even in such quantities!
MakizeroDec 8, 2021 11:14 PM
Dec 8, 2021 10:46 PM

Mar 2020
deg said:

I don't think most mal users would understand that tho.
Dec 8, 2021 10:57 PM

Nov 2013
There is one very annoying thing. I cannot see all my favourites. For example I have to uncover favourite people each time I enter my profile page. Please fix it so all favorites will be visible again like before the changes.
Dec 8, 2021 11:00 PM

Nov 2020
obligatory visual novels plz.
Dec 9, 2021 12:03 AM

May 2010
Zech_TearZ said:
obligatory visual novels plz.

They would have to create a whole new database to add and manage all of those, and I don't think the servers would like that very much.
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
Dec 9, 2021 12:54 AM

Feb 2010
@Kineta this was a massive improvement going from 8 to 10, devs also fixed some image problems which I was going to report and offer a fix for, thanks and great work!! :D

The only issue is, I wish we could see all faves like before but if theres some customization coming to what we can show that would fix that
Dec 9, 2021 12:57 AM
Jul 2018
This month there are a lot of cool updates! I like it very much.

And I often don't realize when I look at my own profile :|
Dec 9, 2021 1:01 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Shishio-kun said:
@Kineta this was a massive improvement going from 8 to 10, devs also fixed some image problems which I was going to report and offer a fix for, thanks and great work!! :D

The only issue is, I wish we could see all faves like before but if theres some customization coming to what we can show that would fix that
That's what the favorites page is for. Too many rows of favorites would crowd too much space on the profile page and l guess it would look too unwieldy.
Dec 9, 2021 1:05 AM

Oct 2010
I still have to click one time to see my fav people, what's the point in that? and what was the point to arrange them in horizontal instead of vertical, looks like an update for the sake of being an update. MAL is turning garbage by the day
Dec 9, 2021 1:07 AM

Aug 2018
This is a very welcome change, and I extend my gratitude to everyone involved in bringing this to life.
Dec 9, 2021 1:09 AM

Aug 2018
Catalano said:
I still have to click one time to see my fav people, what's the point in that? and what was the point to arrange them in horizontal instead of vertical, looks like an update for the sake of being an update. MAL is turning garbage by the day

You do not have to click on them one at a time on the new Favourites page.

It is horizontal now to support the addition of new Favourites categories (you would know this if you read the actual post).
Dec 9, 2021 1:52 AM

Feb 2010
anime-prime said:
Shishio-kun said:

That's what the favorites page is for. Too many rows of favorites would crowd too much space on the profile page and l guess it would look too unwieldy.

It would be perfectly fine to see all faves by default lmao. It's ONLY like one or two more rows jfc xD when we already have absurdly long comment walls so wtf?

The favorites page is nice but does not solve for this imo. I've heard tons of feedback and ppl wanna see ALL their faves on their profile by default and not through clicking some link. What do you think all our recent scripts and theme fixes were for (an issue MAL addressed after our fixes did).

You can literally read a comment complaining about not seeing all faves 2-3 posts before mine and one after yours.

It was bad enough when we had to click a link to see faves 9 and 10, good they fixed that, but no one ever learns from this smh...
Shishio-kunDec 9, 2021 2:01 AM
Dec 9, 2021 2:17 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Shishio-kun said:
anime-prime said:

It would be perfectly fine to see all faves by default lmao. It's ONLY like one or two more rows jfc xD when we already have absurdly long comment walls so wtf?

The favorites page is nice but does not solve for this imo. I've heard tons of feedback and ppl wanna see ALL their faves on their profile by default and not through clicking some link. What do you think all our recent scripts and theme fixes were for (an issue MAL addressed after our fixes did).

You can literally read a comment complaining about not seeing all faves 2-3 posts before mine and one after yours.

It was bad enough when we had to click a link to see faves 9 and 10, good they fixed that, but no one ever learns from this smh...
Well, perhaps that will eventually be an option. Hopefully though you won't need to keep fixing your vertical script again after this, since I can see how that would be very bothersome for you.
Dec 9, 2021 2:34 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Thanks for the new favorites page and for communicating this via a site announcement instead of a Discord post or a Suggestions topic.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Dec 9, 2021 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
This is mostly good but I'm not a huge fan of having to hover your mouse over an entry in your favourites to see the title, format and year. It has the same issues as AniList taking the title and other text out of the anime cover images they use, mainly the feeling of being oversimplified just for the sake of it but then having the problem of showing too little information.

Also I feel like there's a lack of consideration to a pretty important graphic design principle in regards to the way text for favourite characters displays; the series they're from displaying at the top of the image while their name displays at the bottom. I think it would make more sense to switch them around, since English is made to be read top-to-bottom, left-to-right, and most of the site's userbase is English-speaking (as far as I know?), so having the character name at the top would mean that it's what people will read first and most often when looking at a character in somebody's favourites.
removed-userDec 9, 2021 2:46 AM
Dec 9, 2021 2:42 AM

Mar 2021
Looks better than the last update. You might as well show the 4th category ("People") since it doesn't take much space. And I still wish the names were shown under the pictures, not when you hover over them.

Glad to hear that we might be getting new categories soon.

Thanks MAL for listening to the community!

Dec 9, 2021 3:18 AM
Jul 2018
Kineta said:

• Studios
  • OP & ED
  • OST

I still wish manga and light novels had their own separate lists and categories but I know you're not going to do that since in past you said it would be too hard.
Dec 9, 2021 3:20 AM
Apr 2014
I would like to be able to make one favourite list of movies and one of TV/OVA/ONA.
Dec 9, 2021 4:01 AM
Mar 2016
Chiribei said:
This is mostly good but I'm not a huge fan of having to hover your mouse over an entry in your favourites to see the title, format and year. It has the same issues as AniList taking the title and other text out of the anime cover images they use, mainly the feeling of being oversimplified just for the sake of it but then having the problem of showing too little information.

+1 to this

I appreciate and stick to MAL largely due to its easy to read and functional profile pages compared to Anilist with its "modern" layout. You could easily absorb relevant information in seconds by looking at someone's profile with barely a scroll needed to skim through their stats, updates and favs. You now need to hover over each of their favs, and if you somehow do recognise all 40 of them from the smaller icons, you still would have spent more time recalling it from memory (rather than reading the text). I would appreciate an option to be able to view favourites the old way as I prefer function over form, and its sad to see many websites going the cleaner simpler route, though I understand its aesthetic appeal.

I suppose the favourites page is a good compromise but the grid layout and having to open an extra page makes the whole process slower in general.
MajehOSDec 9, 2021 4:09 AM
Dec 9, 2021 4:27 AM

Aug 2020
Thank you, I like this change. But I am also looking forward to the normal favourites getting fixed.

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Dec 9, 2021 4:57 AM

Feb 2017
fwdd said:
Kineta said:

• Studios
  • OP & ED
  • OST

I second this sentiment. Another good category can be waifus/husbandos which tend to be different than my favorite characters.
Dec 9, 2021 5:21 AM

Apr 2021
Good work! Thanks for the updates. I hope users can choose which image to use for favorite characters in the future. Anyway, looking forward to future updates.
Dec 9, 2021 5:34 AM

Nov 2019
This looks better, thank you.
My only complain is that it actually doesn't fill all the free space. You could make the images just a bit bigger to fill that blank space.
Dec 9, 2021 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
Favorites looks better now. I like this update. Thank you.
Dec 9, 2021 5:50 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Supercuecaaa said:
This looks better, thank you.
My only complain is that it actually doesn't fill all the free space. You could make the images just a bit bigger to fill that blank space.
It was probably done like that for the supporters who have 20 favorites in each category.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
8 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.