Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 8 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2021 8:30 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
tsubasaloverDec 13, 2021 5:37 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 25, 2021 8:43 AM
Sep 2019
I'm glad that Tsuruno got to deal with Meru's death, though I was hoping that Felicia would be the one who saves her. I loved the part where the OG Mikadzuki gang reconciled, they're really a family, and I hope that Kuroe will survive to be with them too.
Overall it was another great episode.
SnowbodyknowsSep 25, 2021 9:13 AM
Sep 25, 2021 8:47 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty strong finale. I'm looking forward to the Final Season.. Now it's time to take a little break.

Overall, I think this season was better than the first one, but it still wasn't anything amazing though.

SerafosNov 20, 2022 12:17 AM
Sep 25, 2021 8:48 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Tsuruno really is the new mami isn't she, can't wait to see the final battle in season 3, this season redeemed this show for me.
Sep 25, 2021 9:49 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This one was pretty good like the 1st episode and the other one with the original Madoka gang
Sep 25, 2021 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
Absolute Bozo ending, what was the delay for again? So they can think up a apology for this abysmal ending?
Sep 25, 2021 10:17 AM
Oct 2016
Thus ends this very weird second season. It had been a long wait for magireco to return. And we got a shortened sequel with another season coming before the end of the year still apparently. This season though did have some great action scenes with stellar animation. Some of the best all year maybe even. But that didn't last too long with the animation dipping hard in the later episodes. Still I liked this enough since it gave more time and development to the cast. Whom I do enjoy, the cast here is great with all the girls plus Madoka crew joining with them. The villains are super compelling but its fine. Overall a decent sequel keeping about on the same level as the beginning.

75/100
Sep 25, 2021 10:22 AM

Jan 2021
Im just going to give this a 7 and pretend i know whats going on
Just watch anime instead of looking at forums
Sep 25, 2021 10:37 AM

Mar 2016
Apparently I heard there's some big fuckups with the subs and the playback audio. Doesn't pertain to the episode itself, I would assume, but more so Funimation's screwup.
Sep 25, 2021 10:43 AM

Nov 2011
This was a pretty neat season, even at 8 episodes.

Seeing Nemu and also Tsuruno's defeat...
At the same time, I'm very curious how they'll push the direction for the final season. Too bad we didn't get a teaser or anything this episode.

2021 means probably end of the year when it begins airing.

Sep 25, 2021 10:49 AM

Apr 2014
Nice ending. The Mikazuki Villa team was reunited again, as well as, Madoka's team. I hope nothing bad will happen to Kuroe.
Let's continue to the final season.
何それ?意味分かんない
Sep 25, 2021 11:15 AM

Apr 2013
This Battle went pretty well for everyone, Tsuruno and Mami have been retrieved and returned to their respective teams.

It went pretty well except for Kuroe, her Doppel got her in the End, poor Kuroe so close yet so far.

Well most things in Kamihama seemed to have turned out well but in the end it doens't look bright for Team Madoka either, as Homura watched the news and saw Walpurgis is heading for Mitakihara again and Team Madoka departs to Mitakihara to oppose this Witch

Iroha's and Madoka's Connect reduced pretty much all of the Magius HQ to debris, as expected Iroha is just very compatibel with everyone but i think this connect was this powerful mostly because Madoka is a special case of a Magical Girl. Gotta love their Happy expressions as they fully grasped the result of their Assault against Magius

Turns out Walpurgisnacht won't be the Boss for the next season. And as Nemu was about to tell the truth it ends with the Photo with Ui still missing or not even existing but Nemu is aware of it or even knows Ui. And the Identiy of the tiny kyuubey is not revealed either, is it one of Nemu's Uwasas, Ui or a Fusion? like Mami and Tsurono.
Gonna look forward to the dialogue of Iroha, Nemu and Touka, hope Alina Gray shows up too to see what's her deal, Kuroe's fate and how this Story continues.
DelusionalUzumeSep 25, 2021 11:26 AM
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Sep 25, 2021 11:18 AM
Dec 2018
Apart from the animation hiccups, this Season was smooth. They didn't end it at a cliffhanger, but still at a point which will make the viewer come for Season 3 Episode 1. Hope they hire more talent to fix the animation for bluray, while others work on Season 3. The final season isn't far away, unless it gets delayed. Given that they haven't started working on Season 3, 3 months should be enough to make make it ready. Until next time!
Sep 25, 2021 12:05 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Oh, that was an interesting finish, they're definitely building it up for the finale. To be honest, I was expecting some sort of a teaser or something but I suppose they'll keep that for later which I don't particular mind considering the amount of sequels that were announced in the last few hours alone.

Tsuruno has been a typical character so far but the in depth dive into her mind with the unique presentation definitely changed that impression. It's always the overly-genki characters with complexes like this, why can't I ever figure it out before the revelation? Good on Iroha to save Yachiyo from falling into another trap though.

Of course Shaft were going to complement the saving scene with some glorious animation. For some reason though, Miki's final leap with the sword right into Mami-san's forehead stood out. Not criticizing but just a point of note.

Kuroe's Doppel getting a hold of her despite being so close to Iroha but not attracting her attention was kind of tough to watch. Not a Madoka Magica ending without some kind of dark finale now, is it?

But things seem to have a taken a worse turn for Iroha and Touka, I wonder what exactly Nemu-chan is hiding here. Can't really make out much with that shot.

All in all, it's been a decent season. Much like S1, there were certain bits that were fine but others fantastic. Just hoping for a solid grand finale later this year to tie up everything neatly now.

Going to miss the Op & ED, here's to hoping for another round of ClariS and TrySail.

7/10, like the 1st season.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 25, 2021 12:14 PM

Jun 2021
An OK episode

Tsuruno flashback dragged a little bit, but other than that, it was alright.

The fight scenes were OK, but it was a little let down that Tsuruno/Mami doppels were defeated with such ease. I did like how they tied the story with the original with referencing Mitakihara.

I guess we'll see you in a few months
Sep 25, 2021 12:30 PM
Jun 2014
Wow this was somehow even worse than the second half of season 1. Really regret letting myself get baited by them reusing stuff from the original in episode 1.
Sep 25, 2021 3:20 PM
Dec 2019
This episode was fine

I think tsuruno's backstory would have been preferable several episodes ago

I am agree with Erotaku_, it was too easy
same for the destruction of the fortress of attractio, I don't understand how
iroha and madoka can connect themselves so easily whereas they just met, and in previous episode they said that connect only works if we understand the personality of the other person (or it is only for rumored people so it is ok)

They must have real problems on team's level because this episode was not that
exceptional, above all for an episode that was made in 2 weeks

After, it was imho less good than the average episode of second season
but I find that people (according to scores) putting it at the same level as episode 6 are a bit harsh.

salarx said:
Apart from the animation hiccups, this Season was smooth. They didn't end it at a cliffhanger, but still at a point which will make the viewer come for Season 3 Episode 1. Hope they hire more talent to fix the animation for bluray, while others work on Season 3. The final season isn't far away, unless it gets delayed. Given that they haven't started working on Season 3, 3 months should be enough to make make it ready. Until next time!

For me "I will explain you all" by nemu is somewhat similar to a cliffhanger
Sep 25, 2021 6:02 PM
Mar 2020
The audio is a little messed up in one scene and there are no subtitles. Does anyone know if there's a version where the episode is normal?
Sep 25, 2021 7:01 PM

Dec 2015
Ryuseishun said:
Apparently I heard there's some big fuckups with the subs and the playback audio. Doesn't pertain to the episode itself, I would assume, but more so Funimation's screwup.

This. I had to kick my listening comprehension into gear out of nowhere during the flashback theatre part. Hope they fix it.
Sep 25, 2021 9:55 PM

Apr 2018
I'm actually quite pleased with this episode! Tsuruno was my absolute favorite character from the mobile game. So with the way this Season was taking notable plot deviations, merging Chapters together and just kinda rushing through stuff overall, i was really afraid that they wouldn't do justice to Tsuruno's backstory and character development... but they ended up dedicating almost the entire episode to her, and they pulled it off quite nicely for such a short timespan, and with some cool surreal cinematography to boot! I'm quite happy with the result of that particular scene, even though most of the adaptation has been a disappointment.

Did the anime just get meta on us? With that flashing text and Kuroe's Doppel practically acknowledging that she (as an anime-original character) "doesn't belong here" and "isn't supposed to be joining their group, nor their story". I'm so curious as to what they're building up to with her character...

Another major deviation: unlike in the game's story, the girls actually succeeded in preventing Walp from coming to Kamihama this time around, so apparently they won't be confronting it at all. I wonder if this event is the turning point in the story that will lead to the upcoming 4th movie, with the Holy Quintet now parting ways with Team Mikazuki Villa to go fight against Walp back in their home turf, this time as a full group!

Meanwhile, the final Season of MagiReco will most likely focus on the Kamihama girls staying to deal with Eve and
as the "Final Bosses" of their story? I'm quite intrigued and excited to see how they'll wrap this all up.

Sep 25, 2021 10:22 PM

Jul 2016
And... Walpurgis never came. Welp, I have been trolled. Time for Madoka to die again off-screen and for Homura's endless despair to continue.
By the way, I still refuse to believe this counts as one of Homura's many loops from the original series.

So... Tsuruno is basically Mami 2.0 but less charming, huh? Honestly, I never cared about her character but I liked how her struggle and silent sorrow were portrayed via theater play with some surreal elements.

Overall, better than Season 1 but still nothing that impressive either. Episodes where Madoka Magica cast got more focus were easily the best ones in my opinion. Which is actually kinda sad given this is "Magia Record" but well.

6/10 - Final Season is listed to air this December... odd date, not gonna lie. Is it gonna be just 4 episodes long?
Sep 26, 2021 12:22 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm doll Tsuruno looks creepy. The connect failing while physically devastating was twice as much mentally as well. The insight into Tsuruno and Yachiyo's past via the memory museum sure was insightful. In a way having to be both a magical girl while helping out your parents proved to be a very difficult task. Not to mention the distance it created between them as well. In the end the pressure placed on her was far to immense and ended up pushing her to Magius. In a way both were people that kept their concerns bottled up and tried to go at it themselves. In the present the backup from Momoko and Mifuyu sure was timely. In the end its great that they managed to rescue both Mami and Tsuruno from their despair. That teamup of Madoka and Iroha though sure was impressive. Looks like Touka ended up having another plan of her own after all. Overall a solid finale that managed to end the season on a high note by combining some neat action with some interesting revelations while leaving enough for the next season to progress from. I think more than anything for magical girls having comrades and friends that you can open up too is something thats vital and Tsuruno and Mami are lucky that they had comrades who were there for them. Overall 7/10 i think will be the best score.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2021 1:05 AM

Oct 2007
nice season finale.

with the uwasa on top of the hotel destroyed, Walpurgis Night and the other witches are no longer diverted to Kamihama. Disaster avoided for Kamihama residents.

interesting to learn about Tsuruno story.. glad that she got rescued.

the only sad thing is Kuroe not able to join the group.. hopefully, she can be rescued as well.

looking forward to season 3. :)

8/10
Sep 26, 2021 4:07 AM

Feb 2014
No way were we going to end this season on a happy note, aren't we? Even though Tsuruno and Mami were saved in the end, the same couldn't be said for Kuroe, as her doppel appeared once more to pull her into the pits of despair just as Iroha was in touching distance from her.

As for Iroha, she finally got to meet with Touka and Nemu, with the latter revealing a very interesting picture right at the very end. That's another way to look forward to the final season with an ending like that. XD

Overall, even though I liked this season more than the previous one, I'm still giving it a 7/10. The production quality from SHAFT has been acting like an old-school turbocharger (weird comparison, but hear me out). When up and running, we got some of the best animated action scenes this year, with episode 4 being a personal highlight. However, since that episode, when the turbo is properly off-boost, the performance result is very underwhelming. That's what I felt like when watching episode 6 and the production mess that it sadly was.

Aside from the subtitle issues during Tsuruno's backstory which was a different issue altogether, the production quality was blowing hot and cold still, so SHAFT really needs to go back and sort this out in time for the Blu-Ray release and, ideally, not be sloppy like this whatsoever for the final season, although I think that's asking for too much if I being honest.

I still look forward to seeing how the final season will play out and see if Magia Record as a whole can end on a high note. =)
Sep 26, 2021 5:23 AM

Apr 2017
An underwhelming ending, like the entire season. Animation was serviceable, with occasional flashes of style and quality but mostly made up of stills and choppy movement.

I would've preferred it if either Tsuruno or Mami didn't make it. With Tsuruno it made more sense, because she was more mentally and physically broken than Mami. Can't say I have any investment in any of the characters, and I barely remember 2 of the new girls' names. Touka is annoying, Nemu is uninteresting. Ui and Walpurgisnacht are the most interesting things this show has to offer, and they've been all but shoved aside "for the next season" for the second time.

Somehow, I'm not surprised that one of the biggest pieces of information that was teased (the truth behind Ui) was again postponed for the next season. Did they even find out anything about Ui this season? The whole show feels very unfocused. Let's meet 20 characters, let's find this missing girl, let's rescue magical girls, let's fight witches, let's fight other magical girls, oh and btw there's a megawitch coming to wreck all of us. Very messy. The original Madoka anime always felt like it was building up to something, which was resolved; this feels like it was written as they went along.

4/10, generously.
Pande91Sep 26, 2021 5:28 AM
Sep 26, 2021 5:34 AM

May 2012
As the game player i give both positive and negative things we lost and gain from story going mostly not with game story.

Negative :
The grudge between Alina and Felicia
Touka and Nemu kidnapping Iroha to fed Eve
Alina saving Iroha
Mifuyu redemption was different
Iroha godlike healing powers (cracked soulgem)
Battle of normal magical girls vs berserk feathers
Yachiyo vs Holy Mami (Infinite number of spears against rifles)
Sana infiltration of magius base to save Iroha
Unity of different Kamihama magical girls wards

Positive:
Iroha's connects with different magical girls
Kuroe character
Nemu actually remember and caring about Iroha
Better look at structure and plans of Magius
interactions between original madoka characters and magireco
Iroha's doppel personality

Things we may lose in final season because of 2 season
Sep 26, 2021 5:57 AM

Nov 2013
Hmm... Overall I enjoyed season 2, though there are only 8 episodes.

I'm confused, I was almost certain that this would end with Walpurgisnacht tease, but it seems only Madoka's team will have to deal with it... maybe?
Sep 26, 2021 7:24 AM

Apr 2018
I have mixed feelings about this season, too many characters and plot lines for only 8 episodes. Animation was fire at the beginning but got worse as it progressed. Overall I would give it a 7/10. Also, who is the other girl whit pink hair besides Iroha in the anime visual of this season? Thats supposed to be Ui? Because she didn’t appear anywhere.
Sep 26, 2021 8:10 AM

Mar 2020
LelouchLagusa said:
The audio is a little messed up in one scene and there are no subtitles. Does anyone know if there's a version where the episode is normal?

The audio wasn't messed up tho, the translation team didn't put the subtitle at that scene.

If u pirate anime u can watch it in GOGOANIME.PE with fine translation.
Sep 26, 2021 10:09 AM

Dec 2013
Great OP and ED as expected from the series, next season is hopefully going to have a lot of answers, that Iroha X Madoka Connect Nuke as pretty hype, poor Homura going back to business to her loop. I liked this season a lot more than the first one and looking forward to the conclusion.
Sep 26, 2021 11:50 AM

May 2018
Pretty good place to end this for now. I can't wait to see season 3! 6/10 so far
Sep 26, 2021 1:20 PM

Mar 2020
Im glad the animation, direction and fight choreography were waaaaaay better than season 1 but, the amount of random and uninteresting characters popping up everywhere still is a problem. 5/10
Sep 26, 2021 2:57 PM

Nov 2020
Overall a pretty decent season, started off really strong and the fights were great but got a little weak towards the end. Definitely better than the first, but the narrative still has me completely lost lmao.

7/10, I think it does a good job of setting up for season 3 and I'm definitely interested in what will happen!
Sep 26, 2021 7:46 PM

Dec 2016
Great ending! I'm happy that Tsuruno and Mami could be saved in the end :) 7/10

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Sep 27, 2021 8:01 AM
May 2016
Meh no consequences to becoming a human pretzel? 9_9 Oh well I wasn't expecting much from rhis anyway. This show is difficult enough to understand, Funimation dropping subtitles sure doesn't help. Barely forced myself to continue with this season, don't think I'll watch the next one.
Sep 27, 2021 12:15 PM
Jun 2020
Honestly it is kind of funny the season started off with a Funimation cutting off the post credits scene and now we are ending with Funimation not having all the subtitles.

Though it seems it isn't entirely their fault. Something about how Shaft recorded the lines.

I am largely fine with this episode. I think going with Yachiyo and Sayaka again (The salty runback) was a poor choice. I don't like the OG cast leaving and it has me concerned about how Walpurgis will be handled. The animation was still a bit choppy even with the extra week. I just think this episode could have been better. It certainly had its good moments though.

Get the gang back together: Check
Meet up with Nemu: Check

Curious to see how the final season will be handled. Nemu being the true mastermind is an interesting idea. It also kind of solves some of the plot conveniences the early season had like how did Iroha get to Eternal Sakura (Nemu) or why is little Kyubey helping Kuroe (Nemu). It does have me a little worried about what is going to happen in season 3.

metalmonstarSep 28, 2021 5:36 AM
Sep 27, 2021 1:49 PM
May 2020
episode 8, part 1 - NGE final two episodes (omedetou) vibes. like, the heck???
episode 8, part 2 - soul eater final few episodes (ONE PUUUNNNCHHHHH) vibes. like, ehhh??

seriously, between this, the subs failing, and the friggin recap episode, this left a hell of a bittersweet taste in my mouth for this season. pray the third will be good, and wish for rebellion 2 to be amazing.
Sep 27, 2021 7:17 PM

Apr 2018
MenchiK1 said:
Meh no consequences to becoming a human pretzel? 9_9 Oh well I wasn't expecting much from rhis anyway.

They already established in the original series that Magical Girls can survive and quickly regenerate from grievous injuries as long as their Soul Gem remains intact.

Remember when Sayaka had her arm cleanly blown off but she reattached it immediately like it was nothing back in MagiReco S1? That's how it works.
Sep 30, 2021 10:10 AM
May 2011
I agree that Tsuruno's backstory should have been dealt with several episodes ago. The climax of this season just felt so inconsequential.
Oct 1, 2021 12:34 AM

Oct 2008
lolz at scene: [19:01]
on the left corner Team Main Original 5 girls...on the right corner team NISEMONO 7 girls! lolz!
so what do i say for this 1st part of S2? hmmm more like diff timeline and more of psychological aspects! but for sure more characters gets you a little bit confusing...and i'm a bit worried about HanaKana's character...she could not even join team nisemono girls? hahah
4/5.
8/10.
waiting for S2 part 2.

Clobbopus said:
Im just going to give this a 7 and pretend i know whats going on

this comment pretty sums-up what i'm feeling right now...hehehe

Oct 2, 2021 7:47 AM

Jan 2011
I'm not going to finish this show until the fucking subtitles are there. Which will never happen. So the show is dropped. Fuck you sony, and fuck you soynamation. You are, and always have been, hacks.
Oct 2, 2021 12:03 PM

Aug 2018
Hm.. So Tsuruno Yui is actually character like this.. We saw majorly her trying to be strong.. But how she is truly?.. Who knows.. Well.. Now she is in company of loving friends, magical girls.. It seems she'll be accepted how she'll be..
And.. The end.. Or rather - to be continued.. Well.. I quite enjoyed this season.. I enjoyed it much more than the last one, I think.. I had couple of episodes in the previous season I liked.. But also this season had much more better pacing, it was more engaging in what it presented.. Now it actually became a series I will await eagerly next season of.. Great second season, hopefully next things will be just as great.. ;P
Oct 7, 2021 11:10 PM

May 2017
the ost was impeccable. i will definitely be watching part 3
Oct 8, 2021 6:39 AM
Jan 2019
Why it's only 8 episodes? I'm aware of the third season but still why only 8 episodes?
Oct 9, 2021 8:49 AM

Jan 2017
Having Tsuruno's backstory for the finale is so underwhelming, there's no screentime for the artificial Witch at all

Baiting the viewers for info on Ui's disappearance on yet another season? DAMNIT
Nov 27, 2021 8:30 PM

Sep 2020
Ughh~ Tsuruno's backstory really hits home though it kinda feels out of place, not for finale but okay then.
The cliffhanger with 8episodes(though Im pretty aware of it) ,aff~
Hoping for the continuation as soon as possible.
it’s never too late for life ... to go horribly wrong. . . afff~
May 9, 2022 2:34 PM

Jan 2013
Just like season 1, I had a hard time connecting with the characters and their story, it all just felt too much but nothing at the same time.
At least the first season at least felt a bit more coherent to me.

Interested to see how they'll finish it with the final 4 episodes though.
Nov 21, 2023 12:33 PM

Feb 2020
This last episode was very good, pretty strange to see a Madoka spinoff use something very similar to the power of friendship but well, Magia Record definitely wants itself to be different from the og series-pretty sure it's not even canon-, so I can accept that.

Overall I like this season better than the first one, it didn't try to introduce many characters so the ones we already knew got to receive some good development (although I feel like Sana got seriously sidelined ever since the end of her arc last season), the art direction was even more ambitious and getting closer to the og series' quality, the story was nice and I loved to see Madoka's team again...
But even when taking in account that there's another "season" of 4 episodes left,it feels way too short for what it's trying to tell. Which is strange since Madoka Magica had no trouble telling a wonderful story with only 12 episodes, but here, despite being double-length it just feels rushed, with a serious problem of pacing, info-dumping, screentime for each character, sudden change of tone...
It's really not a bad show, but I think it's trying to do and tell too much, not knowing what to focus on as a result.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 31, 2021

109 by Biisoo »»
Yesterday, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 7 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2021

37 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 16, 9:23 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 4, 2021

61 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 16, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2021

52 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 15, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 21, 2021

66 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 15, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.