Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 4 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 21, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
tsubasaloverAug 21, 2021 10:45 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 21, 2021 9:25 AM
Sep 2019
My God, this episode made me nervous. Kuroe almost Doppeled, fortunately Iroha stopped her. So many Puella Magi are Doppeling, now I see what that side effect Mitama was talking about is; Zola (Kaede's Doppel) is pure nightmare-feul! The anime actually explained the overuse of the Doppels, I don't think it was explained in the game. Anyways, everyone should get their soul gems adjusted!
Aug 21, 2021 9:49 AM

Feb 2020
Excellent episode. The action scenes were so awesome again.

That Witch Factory looked a bit creepy place.

Poor Kaede... :(

SerafosAug 21, 2021 11:12 AM
Aug 21, 2021 10:12 AM
Oct 2016
How does this show keep looking so good?!? Holy hell every episode of this season has a decent length badass action scene with some of the most fluid animation I've seen all year! It just keeps happening every week! Shaft is pulling out all the stops, no holding back on the big moments. Turning the dial up when things get intense, which they did this episode. Kaede sadly turning into a witch after using her doppel too much. Something that Kuroe almost did too before Iroha stopped her. Sana desperately trying to bring Kaede back but she can't. What a surprise that the Uwasa preaching about saving all magical girls was a lie, who could've thought such a thing. Now the girls know the truth, Uwasa is all a lie setup so they can farm magical girls turned into witches for their grief seeds. A total sham, A complete fabrication, they made it up. But for why, what would they need all those grief seeds for. Iroha needs to reach Nemu and get some answers.
Aug 21, 2021 10:33 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its nice to see Iroha finally return. At this point in time i would say that a large majority of the cities magical girls have joined Magius as they want the chance to save themselves that they're offering. In a way it's quite easy to see why so many magical girls decided to join though as aside from the cure the doppels also allowed them to gain an extra safety net as well. Looks like Madoka and her team got to the city just in time. The witch farm though sure was unnerving. The power that connect gives though never ceases to amaze. Still that isolation ward sure painted a grim picture. Overall a pretty balanced ep that combined excellent lore expansion and plot advancement with tension and action. With both Iroha and Madoka's team's closing and Magius enacting their plan i feel that the next ep's will be pretty action packed. Its unfortunate that Kaede suffered such a fate though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2021 11:29 AM

Mar 2016
OHHHHHH FUUUUCCCKKK! Hiroto Nagata, what on God's green-ass earth did you just unleash here?!?!
Aug 21, 2021 11:46 AM

Jul 2016
It's getting better every episode. After S1, I'm truly pleased with that.

Aug 21, 2021 11:51 AM

Apr 2013
Iroha with her long hair unbraided looks so lovely, need more of this

Walpurgis getting teased again as a typhoon in the news and is supposed to hit next day.

Some fierce Battles this episode, nice.
Also some scenes in this episode providing more vibes of Iroha-Kuroe yuri. Iroha comforting Kuroe when they learned more downsides of using Doppel was cute

They managed to destroy the Uwasa-guard but couldn't bring back poor Kaede. Mitama said it Might be Possible but the future really doesn't look all that bright for Kaede or the other girls who fused too much with their Doppel.

This episode providing more of the Darkness i expect from the Madoka-verse

Alina in the end with the other ringleaders of Magius looked pretty bored, seems like she can't wait for Walpurgis.
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Aug 21, 2021 11:57 AM

Jan 2020
Madoka really out here in the dark making the best sakuga cuts of the year
Aug 21, 2021 1:24 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, Shaft has seriously upped its game with the action sequences! To think that they'd keep up this quality for four episodes straight and possibly all the way through is just fantastic.

Meanwhile, the mystery is thickening. At least Iroha's back for the time being.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 21, 2021 1:38 PM

Apr 2014
The episode was amazing and packed with both action and despair. I'm really looking forward to see how this will end.

Also, can anyone tell me what was written here?

Aug 21, 2021 1:44 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Don't think anyone expected MAPPA to be outdone this season, even Kyoani got outdone, this is peak Shaft.
Aug 21, 2021 2:23 PM

Apr 2015
Shaft, what in the world are you on, cause I want some of that shit as well. The Sakuga again was unreal, this second season is providing us with god-tier animation. So beautiful, leaving behind quite the impact. Keep this up, cause right now it's the best animation of the season.

Sad for Kaede, she used her Doppel too much and is now in the hands of the Magius until she can be saved by either the Magius plan or by Iroha and the rest.
Aug 21, 2021 2:23 PM

Jan 2020
woah.. Animation was amazing and it's something that never fails to impress me no matter how consistent and great shaft is.

I thought this was pretty good but it feels weird how we're already halfway through the season lol

Aug 21, 2021 6:19 PM

Jun 2021
Fight scene was cool, but I still don't know wtf is going on or what this doppel stuff is.
Aug 21, 2021 7:03 PM

Jul 2016
Erotaku_ said:
Fight scene was cool, but I still don't know wtf is going on or what this doppel stuff is.

Eh, from what I can gather in the anime:

Doppels are addictive. They cleanse your soul gem of impurity, preventing you from becoming a witch. That impurity seems to manifest as a doppel. The more you use them, the less likely you are to remain in control of yourself. Eventually you will lose control of them and basically "doppelify/witchify".

Aug 21, 2021 7:35 PM
Jun 2020
ChloeVonEinzbern said:
The episode was amazing and packed with both action and despair. I'm really looking forward to see how this will end.

]

I saw someone say that they translate to:

Destiny lies at the end of these rails

All we can do is get carried
Aug 21, 2021 9:36 PM

Feb 2019
Dawg shaft really spoiling us this season. The Iroha/Kuroe connect sequence as well as the subsequent fight against Kaede was insane . Like movie quality good. Felt the stakes and tension the entire way through.

as expected, Magius are not telling the whole story about their plan and don’t seem to be concerned about all the mahou shojo who’ve succumbed to their uwasa. Wild cliffhanger to leave off on, looking forward to the second half of the season. So happy SHAFT have improved on every aspect of the show.
Aug 22, 2021 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
Erotaku_ said:

As Coordinator explained to Yachio, Doppels are created by copying the Witch Curse onto a part of the body and then expelling it, purifying the Soul Gem in the process. Since overusing them leads into the Doppel fusing with the magical girl, this means the Witch curse is stuck in a part of the Magical Girl's body. My guess is that Magius intends to grow full-fledged Witches out of these Doppels, essentially mass-producing grief seeds out of Magical Girls.
Aug 22, 2021 2:27 AM
Dec 2018
squirrvev said:
Erotaku_ said:

As Coordinator explained to Yachio, Doppels are created by copying the Witch Curse onto a part of the body and then expelling it, purifying the Soul Gem in the process. Since overusing them leads into the Doppel fusing with the magical girl, this means the Witch curse is stuck in a part of the Magical Girl's body. My guess is that Magius intends to grow full-fledged Witches out of these Doppels, essentially mass-producing grief seeds out of Magical Girls.

You're correct, except the last part. If they wanted to make Witches out of Magical Girls, they would do it directly and don't create the concept of Doppels. The Doppel Syndrome is indeed a side effect, which Magius plan to solve eventually. It's clear they need ton of grief seeds, but not sure if it's for self use or for some other purpose. The Doppel system seems only to prevent full witchification, but turns you into a half witch.

Now I also get why so many magical are willing to be Wings of Magius. When you're presented with the truth of Magical Girls, but also a path to escape the destiny of a Magical Girls and survive, you'll surely follow that path. Things get messier when there are no witches around, so no grief seeds. There are basically 3 types of Magical Girls in Kamihama; the first being who believe they can survive together without help of Magius or using Doppels, the second being Wings of Magius, and the third kind, which are inside big bottles waiting for treatment.
Aug 22, 2021 2:36 AM

Feb 2014
I must not be the only one to think that the witch factory looked rather disturbing. It only fuels my reason as to why I can't trust what the Magius are doing.

What this part of the episode give us was more action and, bloody hell, did SHAFT deliver the goods and then some! Along with KyoAni, SHAFT is belting out some of the best animated sequences this season and possibly this year as a whole. Not only were the connect sequence with Iroha and Kuroe look great, which took out the factory guard, but when Kaede sadly lost control of her doppel, the 30 second segment of Iroha and Rena combining their strength together to stop Kaede was astonishingly beautiful to watch, then to re-watch it all over again just to burn it into my retinas.

The explanation from Mitama about the overuse of the doppels and how they want their plan to succeed in order to "heal" them only worries me further. Their plan might be ready to go into the next stage, but with a storm approaching (a bit of a wild guess, but is this possibly Walpurgisnacht?) and with Madoka's group making their move in order to rescue Mami, I'm expecting more confrontations in the second half of this season.

With the quality that has been shown so far, I hope that SHAFT can nail it for the second half of the season, animation-wise. ^_^
Aug 22, 2021 3:14 AM

Oct 2007
sad what happened to Kaede. Overuse of doppel, leads to the mahou shoujo being absorbed into it.

Iroha want to be partners with Kuroe? Hmm, Yachiyo might get a bit jealous..

so far, the action and animation has been good. This is probably the only anime, besides LL Superstar that would be able to make me buy some stuffs this season. :D
Aug 22, 2021 7:20 AM
Sep 2016
A witch factory, huh? Little Kyubey ~ Juubey much? (just sharing, please don't answer) Gosh, I really hope they will adapt Kazumi Magica in the future too (and Oriko, and Tart, especially Tart).
uncleqrowAug 22, 2021 7:25 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Aug 22, 2021 7:37 AM
Dec 2018
uncleqrow said:
A witch factory, huh? Little Kyubey ~ Juubey much? (just sharing, please don't answer) Gosh, I really hope they will adapt Kazumi Magica in the future too (and Oriko, and Tart, especially Tart).

+ for Tart, and Wraith-Arc
Aug 22, 2021 8:18 AM
Sep 2016
salarx said:
uncleqrow said:

and Homura Tamura (as shorts?), just for the Lolz....

PS: Seriously though if they ever adapt Homura Tamura, that was a time and resources that should be allocated to the 4th movie instead.
uncleqrowAug 22, 2021 8:23 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Aug 22, 2021 8:42 AM
Dec 2018
uncleqrow said:
salarx said:

and Homura Tamura (as shorts?), just for the Lolz....

PS: Seriously though if they ever adapt Homura Tamura, that was a time and resources that should be allocated to the 4th movie instead.

4th Movie is gonna be top notch. If they can use so much budget for random fight scenes of Side Story, imagine what they gonna do for the main story movie.
Aug 22, 2021 9:56 AM
Jun 2019
It is nice to finally see the side-effect of doppels. 4 episodes in, each being great, I am now confident this season will be very strong. The only thing bothering me...during the action scenes, it seems really difficult to figure out what is going on sometimes. Some of them whip around at a tremendous pace. Does anyone else feel the same way? The effort put into all this is massive and it is impressive, but I sometimes wish things didn't fly around so quickly.
Aug 22, 2021 10:28 AM
Dec 2019
LambdaMan93 said:
It is nice to finally see the side-effect of doppels. 4 episodes in, each being great, I am now confident this season will be very strong. The only thing bothering me...during the action scenes, it seems really difficult to figure out what is going on sometimes. Some of them whip around at a tremendous pace. Does anyone else feel the same way? The effort put into all this is massive and it is impressive, but I sometimes wish things didn't fly around so quickly.

Same, for some scenes I would be incapable to decompose the movement unless I decrease tempo
I don't know if it is really too fast or if my brain is too slow
Aug 22, 2021 10:41 AM

Dec 2016
Now that is some dark secret the Wings of Magius are hidding! o_o; No wonder it works like a cult. That Factory needs to get destroyed as soon as possible and save those poor Magical Girls souls! Also, great episode as always!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Aug 22, 2021 11:57 AM

Dec 2012
Less would be more for these rapid-fire battles. Much less.
I had to re-watch it because I read one line and the whole scene was completely changed 3 times already in 2 seconds.
Aug 22, 2021 2:59 PM
May 2016
Erotaku_ said:

Same, looks great, but no clue what I am even watching :(
Aug 22, 2021 3:06 PM
May 2016
So just noticed this season is ONLY 8 episodes which means we are halfway through already. So does that mean this isn't going to end with ep 8 and we are getting a movie to end it?
Aug 22, 2021 3:09 PM
May 2016
menpe said:
Less would be more for these rapid-fire battles. Much less.
I had to re-watch it because I read one line and the whole scene was completely changed 3 times already in 2 seconds.

Yeah they're not really doing much for me as a "battle" I mean it's fun to watch but just too much going on, too many close-ups and distorted movements. I mean watching it in slo mo it actually looks funny because there are just a bunch of blobs and stretched out limbs when the entire screen isn't a close up of someones face, or foot or arm, etc.
Aug 22, 2021 7:59 PM
Oct 2019
MenchiK1 said:
So just noticed this season is ONLY 8 episodes which means we are halfway through already. So does that mean this isn't going to end with ep 8 and we are getting a movie to end it?

Third season already announced
Aug 22, 2021 8:18 PM
May 2016
Magicraft79 said:
MenchiK1 said:

Third season already announced

Oh boy they are really milking this franchise, Madoka's poor teats. :(
Aug 22, 2021 9:20 PM
Oct 2019
MenchiK1 said:

12+13+8+4 episodes and movie in 10 years.
Aug 22, 2021 10:07 PM
Oct 2019
MenchiK1 said:

Is it milking in a bad way? Because if yes, I disagree. What they're doing is good, they're expaning the franchise, new concepts are beinh introduced, we get to see new themes such as cults and politics, we get to see more timelines, more characters and worldbuilding. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Aug 23, 2021 7:56 AM

Feb 2021
Holy shit that was a great fucking episode! This anime keeps getting better each episode that it should be illegal. The action scenes are fantastic and the Witch lab thing is creepy as hell. I love every single thing about this episode. I think I haven't fully understood what is going on in this show, but I know that this show is fucking great.

Next episode let's gooooO!!!!
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 23, 2021 10:48 AM

May 2020
metalmonstar said:
ChloeVonEinzbern said:

Might've been me (at least translating the runes on-screen using this chart; my Japanese knowledge wasn't near good enough to get my head around what it's really supposed to mean though).

Since the person that replied to me there translated them as follows:

Unmei ha reru no saki ni aru
- Fate is past the rails(train tracks)

Watashitachi ha hakobareru kotoshika dekinai
- we can't do anything but carry/transport

Taking the context of both lines into consideration I'd thought it might mean something more like "Fate is past the rails and all we can do is to [get carried / carry onto] there.", due to fate not really being something "carriable", though I don't know if that thought makes sense...?
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Aug 23, 2021 11:05 AM
May 2016
Magicraft79 said:
MenchiK1 said:

Is it milking in a bad way? Because if yes, I disagree. What they're doing is good, they're expaning the franchise, new concepts are beinh introduced, we get to see new themes such as cults and politics, we get to see more timelines, more characters and worldbuilding. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Meh the original story was great because it was complete there was nothing more to tell. Milking is when they keep telling (or retelling) the same story in a different way. We aren't getting new concepts and themes just a repackaging of the originals, all the world building that was needed was done in the original, it's just like Star Wars and The Matrix you have to undo the original to tell a new story, NO blowing up the Death Star didn't stop the Empire, NO Neo becoming the One didn't stop the machines. And now NO Magical Girls don't all eventually become witches.
Aug 23, 2021 11:40 AM
Jun 2020
tl_dr said:
metalmonstar said:

Might've been me (at least translating the runes on-screen using this chart; my Japanese knowledge wasn't near good enough to get my head around what it's really supposed to mean though).

Since the person that replied to me there translated them as follows:

Unmei ha reru no saki ni aru
- Fate is past the rails(train tracks)

Watashitachi ha hakobareru kotoshika dekinai
- we can't do anything but carry/transport

Taking the context of both lines into consideration I'd thought it might mean something more like "Fate is past the rails and all we can do is to [get carried / carry onto] there.", due to fate not really being something "carriable", though I don't know if that thought makes sense...?

Could have been you. That is a good breakdown of it and definitely makes sense. I did see someone tried to translate it as something about sickness which didn't really fit with the scene. I took it as foreshadowing the end of the episode, but it could relate to something else.
Aug 23, 2021 11:55 AM
Dec 2018
MenchiK1 said:
Magicraft79 said:

Meh the original story was great because it was complete there was nothing more to tell. Milking is when they keep telling (or retelling) the same story in a different way. We aren't getting new concepts and themes just a repackaging of the originals, all the world building that was needed was done in the original, it's just like Star Wars and The Matrix you have to undo the original to tell a new story, NO blowing up the Death Star didn't stop the Empire, NO Neo becoming the One didn't stop the machines. And now NO Magical Girls don't all eventually become witches.

There's supply because there is demand. Also, last time I checked anime wasn't a charity. If fans want to see it, what's the problem? Milking is more of a low effort cash grab, like Pokemon, Onepiece, Detective Conan, the quality is low, but it's consistently low and fans love it, and it doesn't seems to end. Magia Record on the other hand has arguably the best Sakuga this season, and the story fits well in the World of Madoka Magica.

Madoka Magica always had more to tell, concepts that could be expanded further. There are many mangas that haven't been adapted yet, that expand on these concepts. Ever wondered how was the world with wraiths? There's Wraith Arc. What's the deal between Mami and Kyouko? There's 'Different Story'. Sure people have their own fanfic too, but something coming from official source is always a delight. Magia Record is a great edition, and whatever it is, I don't care if Shaft milks the hell out of it, as long as they deliver quality animation and story.
Aug 23, 2021 1:26 PM
Dec 2019
That was good but does somebody know why small kyubey is saying
"Fuck yeah !!!" several times ?

Also, I haven't understand why the magius symbol of kuroe becomes dark after they entered in the basement of hotel fendt hope.

And for rumors and doppels we begin to have some infos on it but for the connect power, unless I missed it, there is nothing aside that 1+1 > 2
Same for the green cubes with Alina Gray on it and that creates something similar to a witch barrier and that we saw in season 1 too.

Aug 23, 2021 2:36 PM
Jun 2020
houlouk said:
That was good but does somebody know why small kyubey is saying
"Fuck yeah !!!" several times ?

Also, I haven't understand why the magius symbol of kuroe becomes dark after they entered in the basement of hotel fendt hope.

And for rumors and doppels we begin to have some infos on it but for the connect power, unless I missed it, there is nothing aside that 1+1 > 2
Same for the green cubes with Alina Gray on it and that creates something similar to a witch barrier and that we saw in season 1 too.

Small Kyubey is saying "Mokyuu"

Kuroe has been kicked out of Wings of Magius. Essentially she can't open any doors and they are stuck in the hotel for now. That is why she tries to hide it from Iroha.

Connects were mentioned in season 1 basically then it was just magical girls sharing power in order to a big attack. This season they have been making it a lot more.

Alina Gray has the power of barriers or something. She creates pocket dimensions and stores witches in them. The other Wings of Magius seem to transport them for her. The Amane twins just like to open them up all the time.
Aug 23, 2021 4:29 PM
Nov 2015
Who the hell let these episodes about a madoka magical spinoff look so good? Even if the writing is subpar (which I'm not one to judge), this is a rare case where I'm willing to excuse it for the sheer fact that it looks absolutely stunning.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Aug 23, 2021 11:33 PM

Oct 2008
oh god! episode so exhilarating!
still can't get used on how many characters we have so far!
SHAFT is really putting effort on the fight scenes huh! nice!
This Magius thing is really questionable...
5/5.

Aug 24, 2021 10:09 AM
Mar 2018
ChloeVonEinzbern said:

According to the B-Global English subtitles the first is "Our destiny lies at the end of the tracks." and the second is "We are simply along for the ride."
Aug 24, 2021 12:52 PM
Dec 2019
metalmonstar said:

Kuroe has been kicked out of Wings of Magius. Essentially she can't open any doors and they are stuck in the hotel for now. That is why she tries to hide it from Iroha.

Connects were mentioned in season 1 basically then it was just magical girls sharing power in order to a big attack. This season they have been making it a lot more.

Alina Gray has the power of barriers or something. She creates pocket dimensions and stores witches in them. The other Wings of Magius seem to transport them for her. The Amane twins just like to open them up all the time.

thank you,
for Kuroe, it was mentioned during the anime that wings become black when they are kicked out ? or it is show don't tell ?
It makes sense but it is strange, I re-check and Rena has a black symbol before the visit of the witch factory and it becomes golden after.
Aug 24, 2021 6:21 PM

Jun 2016
[quote=houlouk message=64216165]
metalmonstar said:

thank you,
for Kuroe, it was mentioned during the anime that wings become black when they are kicked out ? or it is show don't tell ?
It makes sense but it is strange, I re-check and Rena has a black symbol before the visit of the witch factory and it becomes golden after.

It's probably a coloring error. Rena was running away from Magius and she then says that the bear was following them. So she has been kicked out but an oversite in coloring made it look yellow in some scenes.

It's a show don't tell most likely.
Aug 24, 2021 9:16 PM
May 2011
I might be misremembering the first episode of S1 but I thought Kuroe was interested in the rumor to save magical girls, implying she didn't want to be one anymore. In this episode she says that her motivation for joining the Magius was that there weren't enough witches to hunt and that she wasn't strong enough; that seems like a weird missed opportunity to show that Kuroe got what she wished for but things weren't what they seemed.

Anyways, I'm really liking Kuroe and hope she stays a central character this season. The large cast of rotating characters gets confusing so I'm glad we're just sticking to a few central ones so far.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 31, 2021

109 by Biisoo »»
Apr 25, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 7 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2021

37 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 16, 9:23 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 4, 2021

61 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 16, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2021

52 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 15, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 7, 2021

82 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 13, 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.