Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 5 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 28, 2021 8:55 AM
Sep 2019
Walpurgis Night is coming.
Aug 28, 2021 10:37 AM

Feb 2020
Great episode again. Sadly there's only three more episodes left.
Aug 28, 2021 10:40 AM

Oct 2019
Serafos said:

At least there's another season coming
Aug 28, 2021 10:41 AM

Apr 2014
Nice episode, the Embryo Eve, with those teeth, looks very nasty when it ate the train. I hope Kuroe will be safe.

The Walpurgis is coming...
何それ?意味分かんない
Aug 28, 2021 11:54 AM
Dec 2018

Eve Teeth gonna give me nightmares. Kyouko being Kyouyo, stealing stuff and being called for it. Next Episodes are gonna be interesting.
Aug 28, 2021 12:03 PM

Mar 2016
Aside from some awkwardly placed scenes and dialogue, this was a really good and interesting episode imho.

Fun to see Kyouko still being a thief like she was in the original story lmfao.

So basically the Magius are fighting fire with fire: they produced an artificial "super" Witch named "Eve" to oppose Walpurgisnacht, by feeding it loads of "homegrown" Witches to it. I wonder if the Doppel System and Doppel Syndrome played a part in their plans, whether directly or indirectly.
Aug 28, 2021 12:17 PM
Oct 2016
Ah so that's why they want witches. Feeding them to this artificial witch that's being fabricated so they can spread the doppel system all around the world. This is some truly diabolical stuff, these girls are going for world domination! Its nice to see Kyoko again, shes a fun firecracker and a favorite of mine from the original series. Running into my favorites from this series Felicia and Sana. Now that's a team up I didn't expect but am happy for. Glad that Felicia realizes how awful the magius really is, how they're just using these magical girls to turn into witches for this larger plan. They need to join up with Iroha who's infiltrating the place now herself. Kuroe deciding to stay behind while she fights off these grunts and let Iroha run ahead.
Aug 28, 2021 12:20 PM
Dec 2018
Ryuseishun said:

So basically the Magius are fighting fire with fire: they produced an artificial "super" Witch named "Eve" to oppose Walpurgisnacht, by feeding it loads of "homegrown" Witches to it. I wonder if the Doppel System and Doppel Syndrome played a part in their plans, whether directly or indirectly.

Doppel System is more like the result. The 'Eve of Awakening' refers both to the evening and 'Embryo Eve', and since releasing the 'Embryo Eve' will help them go Global with Doppel System, Iroha's guess is right.
Aug 28, 2021 12:47 PM

May 2012
Great Episode, so they want to fuse arc 7-8-9 into one?
Tsuruno finally became a uwasa of Ferris Wheel. It's nice to see Kyoko again, she is just herself this episode. Kuroe using doppel for Iroha sake is kinda sad and touching, i don't want her to die or be comatose in doppel state, she is great character and i want her to enter a KMU. Drunk Mifuyu was something unexpected,but interesting, now Sana and Felecia knows that Iroha was missing after museum battle. Yachiyo being super strong this ep defeating all witches and uwasa that Amane sisters throw to her and didn't even break a sweat plus get one of they maguis radio transmitter.

There is nice cameo of Arc 2 characters which is quite surprise to see (Hagumu,Shigure)

Doomsday770Aug 28, 2021 1:11 PM
Aug 28, 2021 12:58 PM

Apr 2013
haha based Kyouko robbing Magius of their Grief Seeds.

No~ Iroha don't believe Kuroe's lies, don't leave her behind with her dropping a line like "I'll catch up, it's a promise" ah damn Iroha left, too late rip. Hope they just ignore this cliche Deathflag

Kuroe's Doppel looks cool like a like a Black Raven, even the Transformation looks cool with the Black Energy/Flames Kuroe is emitting. In episode 4 it was even better when she wanted to use her Doppel and they showed a close up shot of Kuroe's Face with her Expression and her Eyes glowing Purple/Blackish but Iroha stopping her mid transformation

Also Kuroe's Doppel matches with Iroha's Doppel being Bird-like. Iroha didn't even know of this when she told Kuroe they would make great partners.
Hope to see some nice action shots with Kuroe using her Doppel next episode, but they probably won't do me the favor.
DelusionalUzumeAug 28, 2021 1:05 PM
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Aug 28, 2021 1:08 PM

Sep 2019
Walpurgis is coming...

Kyoko being Kyoko. Nice to see her as well. It's time for Kuroe to have the spotlight for the next ep. That witch with that god creepy looking smile, creeped me out.

My only complaint was the character designs that were dodgy in a few minutes during the ep.
Aug 28, 2021 3:05 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm Tsuruno looks like she's gone off. Its quite amusing seeing Sana and Felicia just casually prepare food though. Its nice to see Kyoko again though. As suspected the Magius's plan was to spread their power worldwide. Their artificial witch though was huge. The manner of how Hotel faint hope can teleport at will sure was rather curious. Kuroe's doppel form sure was a unique one. Hopefully she's able to fight herself clear and reunite with Iroha. Overall an excellent ep that did an excellent job at showcasing the final plan that Magius had planned as well as showing the reactions of each of the girls to it in a most unique way. Curious to see what will happen next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2021 3:12 PM

May 2020
So Embryo Eve was Annoying Orange all along. God damn I didn't expect those teeth.

By the way, for anyone interested, the poem on the top left side at about 23:00 is the "Magic Formula" from Goethe's Faust, that describes a way to complete a magic square (purposefully ambiguous?).

Here's the English translation:

I mean, Madoka Magica has Faust references/thematics all over it, but it's interesting to see it thrown in so openly every now and then.
It's been some time since I'd read Faust, so I tried looking up what it originally meant in the drama: "Goethe’s famous drama Faust includes a witches’ scene where a witch is reciting a spell for minimizing Faust’s danger of death from a rejuvenating elixir."
In that regard, I think it can be interpreted as a sort of allusion/metaphor to the Doppel Sytem, something about "overusing the Doppels possibly turning you into a witch"?

Well, not sure if anything of what I just wrote is really correct, just thought I might share it.
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Aug 28, 2021 4:17 PM

Apr 2015
Pretty good build up to another epic battle next week? Kuroe looks ready to kick some ass and I am hoping that the Animation will be incredibly enjoyable again. You better return to Iroha Kuroe!!
Aug 28, 2021 4:58 PM
Nov 2019
How much of this am I supposed to understand right now? Do I need to rewatch season 1, or will it be explained later?
Aug 28, 2021 5:50 PM
Apr 2020
Serafos said:

Another season will come almost immediately after.
Aug 28, 2021 6:03 PM
May 2016
That real mouth was pretty lame. And really going with black wings again like Homura in Rebellion <_<

Anyway, anyone know what this symbol on Iroha's fingernail is?
Aug 28, 2021 6:19 PM

Jun 2021

Glad I'm not the only one
Aug 28, 2021 6:40 PM
Sep 2019
MenchiK1 said:
That real mouth was pretty lame. And really going with black wings again like Homura in Rebellion <_<

It looks more like a black swan, if you get that she has an acrobat aesthetic. Iroha's mark is a ring
Aug 28, 2021 6:47 PM
Sep 2019
Anyways I really enjoyed this episode, we even got to see some side characters from the game. With Kanagi being absent, I would not have thought that Ryo would appear in the anime, but I'm glad that she did! Tsuruwasa next week will be amazing, hopefully the chapter gets two episodes, it's my favorite chapter.
Aug 28, 2021 7:24 PM
Jan 2012
That was a good episode, but it felt a tad bit too fast paced. I'm not sure if I'd have been able to keep up without being slightly confused if I hadn't of played the game.
Aug 28, 2021 10:28 PM
Sep 2016
God Damn! Glitch Tsuruno, Kazumi Magica style Witch merging, Kyouko returns, Walpurgisnacht, all in one EP!
Magia Record is originally a mobile game, but from this EP alone, I hope they would someday make a DMC style action-adventure game out of this. The hotel faint hope is like a literal DMC level, Dude.
God, I love this show.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Aug 29, 2021 3:15 AM

Feb 2014
Man, those teeth from Embryo Eve is going to give me some nightmares for a while... >_<

Aside from one or two weirdly paced scenes and transitions, this episode was a solid build-up towards the return of Walpurgisnacht. We see Tsuruno losing all hope very early on, which was a little sad. However, we do get to see Kyouko once more and she's as awesome as ever, with the way she dragged Felicia and Sana with her along with the bag of grief seeds that she stole. Typical Kyouko, but that's why I like her! =D

Kuroe's determination on making sure that Iroha goes on ahead was admirable, even though she's throwing her own death flag too easily. Still, we got to see a small amount of lovely fluid animation from her as she transformed into her doppel form.

I'm expecting the next episode to be pretty chaotic with the way the whole Magius plan is going. I hope for some wonderfully animated battles next time if it happens!
Aug 29, 2021 9:54 AM
May 2016
Snowbodyknows said:
MenchiK1 said:

It looks more like a black swan, if you get that she has an acrobat aesthetic. Iroha's mark is a ring

Hmm must have missed this bit of lore along the way

The rings here are their soul gems/ sign they are magical girls...they also have a mark on the nail of that finger, that mark is in the shape and color of their soul gem and it is true to lore, every magical girl has a similar mark of the same nature on the finger they wear their soul gem ring, that mark also disappears while the girl is transformed, since the soul gem is elsewhere in those times.
Aug 29, 2021 11:50 AM
Aug 2020
Erotaku_ said:

Some weird Jon Snow energy :V
Aug 29, 2021 1:46 PM
Dec 2019
Still a good episode (maybe the weakest but not by a lot)

when yachiyo found the magius symbol on the ground, I was like "how lucky she is"

I haven't understand what has happened to tsuruno tbh (and why)
Is it related to what touka said before (evacuate relatives in rumors) ?
and why she does not have a magius symbol (maybe it is in her pocket)

The aim of the bad guys that want (I caricature a little) to destroy the world and rebuild a new has already been seen in other works. It is not a bad idea but not really original
Same for Embryo eve where a lot of people will see from where it comes.
I don't know if it is because of that or because of the pacing that the score is droping since this episode (or because it deals with less popular characters or because there is no sakuga) ?

Chris_Pirtle said:
That was a good episode, but it felt a tad bit too fast paced. I'm not sure if I'd have been able to keep up without being slightly confused if I hadn't of played the game.

Yes, I have not played the game and there is a lot of informations in a few time imho
Aug 29, 2021 1:59 PM
Jul 2021
For Honestly, The Fight Animation from MagiReco Season 2 Episode 1 - Episode 5 was so Epic!!! it was a big improvements after Season 1.. Everybody should watch it and I really recommend watch this Anime..
Aug 29, 2021 2:33 PM

Oct 2007
looks like Touka plans to feed Walpurgis Night to the Embryo Eve witch that Magius created. Things are becoming intense..

also hoping Kuroe surives. Her doppel with the black wings look like it can do some damage.

looking forward to next week! :)
Aug 29, 2021 2:33 PM

Apr 2008
Erotaku_ said:

Haha, really feeling this. I'm interested, but I don't think the explanations have hit in a way that you can reasonably logic through. Each revelation gets at best an "uhuh, sure, why not" reaction. It's an unfortunate contrast to the original where a lot of the big twists were there in plain sight. A soul gem has your soul. A magical girl is a young witch. Those had an impact that's lost in how convoluted this has gotten.
Aug 29, 2021 5:55 PM
Oct 2019
MenchiK1 said:
Snowbodyknows said:

The rings here are their soul gems/ sign they are magical girls...they also have a mark on the nail of that finger, that mark is in the shape and color of their soul gem and it is true to lore, every magical girl has a similar mark of the same nature on the finger they wear their soul gem ring, that mark also disappears while the girl is transformed, since the soul gem is elsewhere in those times.
MenchiK1 said:
Snowbodyknows said:

The mark on her fingernail is shaped like a ring, just like the top emblem of her SG.
Aug 30, 2021 4:29 AM

Jan 2019
Bio said:
Erotaku_ said:

Haha, really feeling this. I'm interested, but I don't think the explanations have hit in a way that you can reasonably logic through. Each revelation gets at best an "uhuh, sure, why not" reaction. It's an unfortunate contrast to the original where a lot of the big twists were there in plain sight. A soul gem has your soul. A magical girl is a young witch. Those had an impact that's lost in how convoluted this has gotten.

This episode was a real mess of information. The anime doesn't give a shit if the audience understands what the hell is going on or not.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Aug 30, 2021 5:58 AM
Sep 2019
Another amazing episode, it's setting up the stage for the big battle at the Chelation Land. Banging BG music as always, and although the animation was a bit wonky, surely it will be improved when the BD version is released.

I'm sure Kuroe's going to survive, and Iroha will finally get to meet Nemu, hopefully Magius' plan and why they made Eve and why Touka wants Walpurgis to come to Kamihama will be explained.

I also wonder where the Amane sisters went, Yachiyo must have beaten some sense into them, Mifuyu's starting to regret joining Magius after seeing her friend Tsuruno infected with a rumor, so hopefully by next week, some members will turn good!
Aug 30, 2021 7:27 AM

Feb 2021
5 episodes in and I still don't know what the fuck is happening but it was a great episode. That damn Majo the Magius are making is creepy, especially with that big mouth.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 30, 2021 10:38 AM

Jul 2016
I'm starting to like Kuroe, but the death flag has been raised high. I'm not sure why she stayed behind though. They could've escaped together.

The only reason I see is... well, her gem was tainted and they were out of grief seed? Or was she trying to prove something?

If a "good friend" of Iroha dies due to Magius, I wonder how she's going to react. Will she forgive her "little sisters"?

Aug 30, 2021 11:15 AM
Jun 2020
The last episodes have been pretty crazy as far as what has been happening goes. This episode takes it a step back and is more of a setup episode. We start off with SanaTube and then it cuts, strangely I might add, to Felicia and Sana making apple pie. Sana is having doubts but Felicia says they can’t leave until magical girls no longer become witches. Touka announces on the speaker rumor that they are moving forward with their plan. They are going to draw more witches into Kamihama to feed to embryo eve. Feathers should have their friends and family hide in the Uwasa. Sana sees the people at the hospital having their emotions feed to the witches and is not okay with it. The white feather rationalizes the action in that people need to accept a little discomfort for their salvation. We then cut to Iroha heading out on her own only for Kuroe to catch up to her. Kuroe immediately starts raising death flags. Iroha appreciates her sentiment and lets her tag along rather than reprimanding her for waving the death flag and telling her to go back where it is safe. Felicia and Sana then run into Kyoko who was stealing grief seeds and they get caught up in her antics. To escape the other feather Kyoko grabs the two and they jump hoping to land on a lit up rail line. Yachiyo defeats the witches and picks up the magius symbol left behind by the incompetent Amane twins. Yes that was literally it. We get back to Felicia, Kyoko, and Sana. Felicia is freaking out about the witch raising farms. Touka talks more about Embryo Eve and surprise that is where the three are headed. They get there and Felicia loses it a bit but Sana stops her from attacking. Kyoko leaves. Sana runs into Mifuyu and they try to ask her questions but Mifuyu doesn’t have the answers. Iroha states that this doesn’t seem like the Touka and Nemu she knew. Kuroe is feeling pretty bad about her choices. We end the episode off with Kuroe opening a path for Iroha to escape and saying she will catch up. Rip Kuroe.

Overall this has been my least favorite episode. For a setup episode it just felt so busy. The opening with SanaTube was strange and cut weird. It was nice to have Sana and Felica back but neither really do anything. They are just dragged along with Kyoko. Felicia at least gets some character moments. I did like how Wings of Magius feels like an organization. There are mundane tasks that need to be done along with the more sinister ones. It was nice to see some other feathers rationalizing things. As well as some feathers trying to defect. Eve’s reveal I feel could have been better if we saw Eve before hearing about her from Touka. Kuroe and Iroha speech was a little odd to me. Kuroe was super cute but Iroha’s reasoning for leaving everyone behind felt odd. Also, not addressing the concerns from last episode was a bit disappointing. I get that it was late and they probably did need sleep but it just feels like a lazy way to sidestep the fallout of doppel syndrome. Yachiyo does nothing this episode and was only included so she could get an emblem and find out where to go. I did like Mifuyu starting to change her views thanks to seeing how messed up Tsunoro was. Fighting with her ex clearly wasn’t enough but seeing how things have affected her cute underclassmen did. I kind of figured that Kuroe was in line to be sacked but I didn’t think we would get to it so soon. Her doppel was pretty cool, but something doesn’t feel quite right about Kuroe being killed off here. Most of the important story elements were literally told to us through Touka’s little speeches. Just a lot of information to process with constantly changing viewpoints and a bit weak character moments compared to the last few episodes. It leaves me feeling a bit uneasy about the pace of these last few episodes. For an episode that was supposed to be more of a breather it sure didn’t feel like it.
Aug 30, 2021 11:57 AM
Dec 2018
metalmonstar said:
Eve’s reveal I feel could have been better if we saw Eve before hearing about her from Touka.

metalmonstar said:

Iroha’s reasoning for leaving everyone behind felt odd.

She probably wants to to find a solution so that no other girl ends up in the bottle.
Aug 30, 2021 1:35 PM
Aug 2015
FrozenSheep said:
I'm starting to like Kuroe, but the death flag has been raised high. I'm not sure why she stayed behind though. They could've escaped together.

The only reason I see is... well, her gem was tainted and they were out of grief seed? Or was she trying to prove something?

If both of them ran through the hole, the enemies would have simply opened the door and chased them. With Kuroe guarding the door, Iroha is able to go straight to Touka and Nemu without being attacked
Aug 30, 2021 8:03 PM
May 2011
Please don't kill Kuroe...
Aug 31, 2021 3:00 AM

Oct 2008
omg Walpurgis is coming! i wonder if that entity is related from the original? lolz!
5/5.

Aug 31, 2021 3:14 PM

Nov 2020
Ryoketsu said:
Bio said:

This episode was a real mess of information. The anime doesn't give a shit if the audience understands what the hell is going on or not.

Yuu_Kanzaki said:
5 episodes in and I still don't know what the fuck is happening but it was a great episode.

I see I'm not crazy for having no clue what the hell has been going on this entire time lmao. I'm definitely enjoying this season (a step up from the first) but good lord if I'm not completely lost as far as the plot is concerned. Heck even basic stuff like why Doppels exist in the first place I'm still unsure about, and that's carryover confusion from the first season.
Aug 31, 2021 7:15 PM
May 2016
Tabemonogatari said:
Ryoketsu said:

Yuu_Kanzaki said:
5 episodes in and I still don't know what the fuck is happening but it was a great episode.

I see I'm not crazy for having no clue what the hell has been going on this entire time lmao. I'm definitely enjoying this season (a step up from the first) but good lord if I'm not completely lost as far as the plot is concerned. Heck even basic stuff like why Doppels exist in the first place I'm still unsure about, and that's carryover confusion from the first season.

Right there with ya bud.
Sep 1, 2021 4:57 AM
Oct 2019
matias067 said:
omg Walpurgis is coming! i wonder if that entity is related from the original? lolz!
5/5.

Hyped for Walpurgis versus Eve!
Sep 1, 2021 5:36 AM
Jun 2020
Tabemonogatari said:
Ryoketsu said:

Yuu_Kanzaki said:

What questions do you have?

Doppels exist as a means to prevent Magical Girls from turning into a witch should their soul gems turn black.
Sep 1, 2021 8:27 AM

May 2018
At this point it's getting really hard to follow what is going on tbh. Bye bye Kuroe-san though
Sep 1, 2021 11:05 AM

Nov 2020
metalmonstar said:
Tabemonogatari said:

Doppels exist as a means to prevent Magical Girls from turning into a witch should their soul gems turn black.

I get why they exist and their purpose, I just more so meant I don't get how they exist in the first place, along with why Kamihama City is special with concepts like that and Uwasa etc. seeing as a lot wasn't in the original series/Rebellion. Unless it's meant to be a mystery, but I've not gotten that impression at all, as it feels like it was just thrown at us as a concept that just is.
Sep 1, 2021 11:39 AM
Dec 2019
Tabemonogatari said:
metalmonstar said:

I get why they exist and their purpose, I just more so meant I don't get how they exist in the first place, along with why Kamihama City is special with concepts like that and Uwasa etc. seeing as a lot wasn't in the original series/Rebellion. Unless it's meant to be a mystery, but I've not gotten that impression at all, as it feels like it was just thrown at us as a concept that just is.

I think it is really a mystery
But it is true that the show does not give this impression

Maybe they need to explain other things before explain how doppels and rumors are created
(or they did not see another way to tell their stories)

For now, the explanations are with a lot of holes

I see that the script was written by another person, maybe it is because of that that the pacing is worse than in previous episodes

But imho, the scenes with characters saying that they don't understand show that the animators know perfectly what they are doing
and they are keeping the confusion until the very end voluntary

houloukSep 1, 2021 11:45 AM
Sep 1, 2021 11:49 AM
Jun 2020
Tabemonogatari said:
metalmonstar said:

As the other person stated it a lot of it is still a mystery as displayed by all the characters saying they don't know this episode.

What we do know is
1. Touka created the doppel system. This has been stated this season and was stated at the end of last season.
2. It has something to do with Embryo Eve. That was stated this episode. As for the details it was left intentionally vague at least for now.
3. It only exists in Kamihama. This was inferred last season but outright stated this season. Touka mentions that the ultimate goal is to expand it worldwide.
4. This is likely due to the same reason Kyubey isn't able to enter Kamihama. This was seen in last season. As to the reason why one can only speculate.

That is all the info so far.

I think everyone can admit that this episode was incredibly dense with information but as far as the Doppel system goes itself it is mostly been small reveals each episode.
Sep 2, 2021 1:51 PM

Apr 2015
Pelo amor de tudo que é mais sagrado, parem de produzir animes de Madoka, já deu.
Sep 17, 2021 3:38 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I don't understand anything :'(((( I at least prefer when we see the characters from the original anime like during episode 1
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 31, 2021

109 by Biisoo »»
Apr 25, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 7 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2021

37 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 16, 9:23 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 4, 2021

61 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 16, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 21, 2021

66 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 15, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) 2nd Season - Kakusei Zenya Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 7, 2021

82 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 13, 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.