Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Even though the 86ers survived, the characters in this show aren't free from the Legion threat in their world. But at least they have a slight mind of peace now.

Not much action as expected from this episode but seeing the 86ers being at ease more is a pleasant sight to see. They've dealt with too much shit up to this point.
Jun 12, 2021 8:31 AM

Mar 2016
This episode hit different.
The squad experiencing some semblance of freedom for the first time. With shin’s help, it seems they don’t have to run frequently into legion, but they can only avoid them for so long before they have to fight again.
We see the scenery transition from Republican architecture to Giadian architecture.
Fido is such a loyal companion.
Fido is proof of everyone’s existence.
Alas, everything comes to an end.
Wholesome yet heavy episode.
Also, I think this episode adapted like 5% novel material. Everything else is anime original.
Shishou_23Jun 12, 2021 9:25 AM
Jun 12, 2021 8:32 AM

Feb 2019
After being absolutely blown away by how they handled the finale of Volume 1, I said I’d just let A-1 surprise me with the last couple of eps. Several directions they could’ve taken it in, and I’m really pleased with what they chose.

The opening sequence showing the squadron living in peace, enjoying nature on their way to Giad coupled with that Piano OST was amazing. I think they should have skipped the OP, tho. This is exactly why I wasn’t a fan of the OP in general. It doesn’t fit the tone of this volume at all. Lyrically, it’s pretty spot on, but the beat and tempo are way too hype.

So many shin smiles this ep, a rare sight to behold. Highlight was definitely half of the Fido side story being animated. Those fido home style videos really hit different when you think about what’s happened. I like how Avid is being used as like a half way marker of episodes followed by hands up.

Overall, great episode and superb adaptation as usual. I guess next episode will be Lena’s perspective. Can’t wait. We feasting.
Marinate1016Jun 12, 2021 8:37 AM
Jun 12, 2021 8:34 AM

Jul 2014
Nothing happened at all… is what I thought, until the last scene where “hands up to the sky” started playing, and its a full ver of it too! The song is so damn breathtaking, and us seeing what Faido saw from the getgo until the end when…. Faido went…. Boom…. Wtf 86 I thought this ep was gonna give me a breather from the shit I went through in the prev ep but the whole scene of “hands up to the sky” with Faido 86 flashback made me shit myself again.. the songs and directing is really making this show stand the hell out.
NEP is the final one for this season right? Wonder how this all ends.. and wtf was happening there!? Another battle and Faido went boom!? Thats a rethorical question btw.
Jun 12, 2021 8:35 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Oooh, we got to see a bit of the aftermath of the last battle. It was nice to see the Spearhead’s journey into unknown territories and seeing things they’ve never seen before. Of course, as sweet as that moment was, they are basically in enemy territories and their chances of survival aren't very high.

It’s also nice to see Shin laugh and smile more. He definitely feels a lot more stress relieved after taking down his brother’s Legion. Seeing him finish off the broken Legion the same way he finishes off his wounded comrades goes to show how he’s still the same old Reaper and that’s how Shin’s life will be until the day he dies. All of these moments were never shown in the LNs, so I’m glad the anime is adding anime-original scenes like these.

That after ED scene from Fido’s perspective was sooo good! Seeing how Fido’s been with Shin for all this time and got to see him slowly get older was nice. And getting to see all of those Spearhead Squadron moments, both happy and sad, from Fido’s perspective was really nice too. Fido was just as much as a comrade as everyone, so it’s sad to see him get destroyed. At least Shin carved out a piece of him and is planning on carrying his name along with everyone else’s. Those sounds in the background… sounds like the remaining Spearhead soldiers are in a battle right now.

The episode was entirely anime-original, except for the very end scene with Fido getting destroyed, which teases something from the second volume. I don’t think the next episode will continue with adapting the second volume, since there’s still something from the first volume that’ll probably be adapted next episode. But yeah, another fantastic episode. The fact that A-1 chose to make an entirely anime-original episode that elaborated more on the Spearhead Squadron goes to show how much they care about this adaptation.
GoldenDevilGamerJun 12, 2021 8:43 AM
Jun 12, 2021 9:36 AM

Nov 2016
This journey totally surprised me. After such an emotional good-bye, I was under the assumption that we would focus on Lena for now and that we would see the Spearheads at a later date, preferably when we don't expect it.

But such a nice episode, they nailed the bittersweetness.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 12, 2021 9:39 AM

Jul 2015
Nice episode once again.Most of it was anime original scenes but they crafted it well.Also the journey of the 86er's is nice to see.Finally at the end we saw Fido getting destroyed.One more episode left, it's a great adaptation.

Jun 12, 2021 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
again, this anime has fcked me up mentally and emotionally. only one episode remaining and i can finally rest for now. nah joking, i have the novel prepared already so i can read right after this...
Jun 12, 2021 9:56 AM

Nov 2015
Damn, this entire episode is basically 100% anime original that even we all LN readers can't enjoy because of how Asato Asato planned 86 as a oneshot LN for competition.
YuvensiusJun 12, 2021 10:12 AM
Jun 12, 2021 9:56 AM

Jun 2009
That sequence from Fido POV made me cry, it was really good made, especially with ending song.
Jun 12, 2021 9:58 AM

Apr 2019
Really special episode, I loved how it was directed. Very impressive stuff.

Jun 12, 2021 10:00 AM

Dec 2020
the five are alive hooray !!! they showed a little montage of how they were here unlike the book. at the start of the ep i thought that itd be better if they went like how the novel did then show these little moments but i definitely like this better, especially with that cliff hanger ending wtf. shin's laughing and smiling a lot more its so ;_____; /pos

i loved the little scenes from fido's pov on the early 86 days man. daiya's "can i change her life?" continued with them dancing then shin finishing him off and anju after his death almost BROKE me. kurena going from "TODAY SHIN GRABBED MY SHIRTTTo(≧∇≦o)" to "what can i do for him...?". haruto's alone scene with fido and a shot of him being dead right after THIS SHOW KNOWS HOW TO GET ME

*tiny ramble !!: they also included a reference shot at the start with the guy that raiden found an alba (that actually fought in the war, before the 86 system was a thing) i still remember his line from the book "he's already got the best resting place there is here, under a beautiful sakura tree. why burry him?" something like that
Jun 12, 2021 10:07 AM
Apr 2020
One word for this ep emotion wrecking bullet train 💯 😭😭
Jun 12, 2021 10:08 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode, loved the direction.

Ironic right? The moment you get all that freedom, the moment you achieve the freedom to do whatever you please. What will you with it? The peak of the mountain is the loneliest.

I wonder what do the Spearhead plan to do but the one thing's for certain, I loved the conversation the other four of them had when Shin was sleeping. They were totally spot on about Shin having a much softer expression now that he achieved what he wanted to do.

The second half of the episode was incredible, I loved the reel of short clips of Shin and the Spearhead squadron played from the perspective of Fido. He's been with Shin and Spearhead since the very beginning. A true soldier himself, I could've help but smile at how bittersweet that entire sequence. Hands up to the Sky playing in the background was the cream on top of it all, made for such a beautiful but poignant montage. However, they just had to hit me with that final scene. FIDO!!! Nooo!!! I will not stand for him being destroyed. T.T
Jun 12, 2021 10:12 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Its mostly breather episode but packed with world building and character interaction. The direction of the scenes are always good but this episode in particular standout, highlighting the Fido POV scenes.

The backgroound art is stunning this episode, and the old empire city ruins and forest are nice to look at.

Overall pretty lighthearted and at the last part is emotional episode

Jun 12, 2021 10:13 AM
Oct 2016
I dont know if it was just me but I bawled my eyes out during the whole segment of this episode where it showed everything that Fido had seen. Its all just so tragic, those kids deserve so much better than to have their lives thrown away. Seeing all that footage Fido has recorded really puts it into perspective. They started living in that place where we saw them at the beginning of the show in April but by September of the same year it's withered down to the five remaining we follow now. That's brutal, seeing everyone talk to Fido just like ordinary kids but over the months all the pain that comes, especially seeing Daiya again. That whole like last eight minute part of the episode emotionally destroyed me. Seeing, I think, Fido blowing up at the end once things caught back up to the current date, I really hope that robot is ok. The earlier parts of the episode were really nice to see. The remaining spearhead squadron kids just continuing onward to see what they find out here. Shin looking so peaceful finally now that he's put his brother to rest. Raidan worried about Shin but I think he's ok, just trying to move forward. I really hope they find something out there
Jun 12, 2021 10:15 AM

Mar 2020
Amazing directed for anime original episode/scenes. Great adaptation, thanks A-1 for this. 5/5
Jun 12, 2021 10:18 AM

Jun 2019
What an episode, it made me emotional. IDK why tho. Seeing them enjoying things for the first time and knowing what freedom feels like for the first time made me so happy. Everyone's so happy with how they're leaving right now. No worries... just going with the flow. They went to a town as well where they saw how normal people lived.

Shin for the first time was able to sleep without any worries and everyone was watching their captain sleeping so peacefully. Then, we saw even the things we're fighting against have the same 86 as we do. Shin put him out of his misery. The sad part was seeing all the Fido's memories through his eyes and how he watched everyone grew up including Shin and then watch everyone dying one by one with 5 of them left in the end.

Fido at the end :'(
Pre_YumJun 12, 2021 10:23 AM
Jun 12, 2021 10:24 AM

Oct 2017
It was fun to watch the 86 enjoy their freedom. They got their freedom which lead to nothing special for now but atleast they are free. The final part with all those flashbacks from Fido's pov were quite emotional and then we see Fido in that state, what happened? Are Shin and the guys okay?
Jun 12, 2021 10:26 AM

Dec 2019
This adaptation has really outdone itself. A great amount of anime-original content that went and enhanced the source material.
Here we go again...
Jun 12, 2021 10:27 AM
Jun 2021
Ep 10 was not one that was expected but the one that was needed
Jun 12, 2021 10:29 AM

Nov 2013
In spite of being a rather uneventful episode filled with original content, I enjoyed it it a lot since it was again masterfully directed. It was nice how they showcased the 86 brief freedom while also foreshadowing themes/conflicts that will be touched in the next cour. Man seeing Shin smiling it so carefree is both nice and unsettling, since his smiles are quite heavy.

The highlight of the episode was definitely the Fido PoV scene, which was a scene literally out of an AMV. We got the full track of "Hands Up to the Sky", we got a brief rundown of Fido´s journey with Shin and the 86 and we got the emotional payoff at the end. Heck they even teased his nature with one of those shots, which is a spoiler for vol7. Well-played A-1.

Seeing as this episode was mostly original content from the 86 side, guess next week we will have a bit of that too for Lena. Hopefully we will get a cameo of Shiden and they tease us with Bloody Reina.
KaitonJun 12, 2021 10:53 AM

Jun 12, 2021 10:31 AM

Apr 2018
The visuals were really beautiful.
Felt really relaxing, I like Fido for some reason now. He seemed like a real pet xD
Shin can finally rest after defeating his brother. But he doesn't have anything left to do? Maybe. Shin's acting weird. Seems like it because of a Legion that's calling him out.
''I wanna go home''..
Is his new goal to save other survivors? Or to live a peaceful life? Amazing episode.
Damn, seems like he knew Fido since the beginning. We saw him grow up in Fido's perspective.
Rip Fido..
SideCharacterKalJun 12, 2021 10:38 AM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jun 12, 2021 10:31 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Seeing the Spearhead's daily lives during their journey like that was great, but it's just a moment of calm before things get tenser and bloody, and seeing Fido's memories through his camera to see it exploding and dying at the end of the episode was sure shocking, RIP, I guess the cruel is back, sadly for them.
Jun 12, 2021 10:33 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The lands outside of the walls though sure are pretty. Lack of human interference has allow nature to runs its course. The taste of freedom after being shackled for so long must feel great. Being able fish leisurely was a great representation of this. Shin's ability to understand Fido really shows the strength of their bond. After all he's been with him since the beginning. Seeing all the territory that was lost to the legion as ghost towns sure was a surreal experience and really shows how much was lost. That was a damm good boiler they found though. 9 years later and its still good as new. After being soldiers for so long its nice to see everyone kick back and relax. The scene at the zoo sure added some great tension though. At least Shinn was able to assist one last member of the 86 into heaven. The insight into how Shinn met Fido though sure was nice as it allowed us to see one last time all the team mates that they had lost over the years as well as their more unique moments as well. Overall a beautiful ep that made great use of the themes of freedom and memories and combine that with Shinn and co's start of their journey to freedom. Its kinda sad that in the end even Fido ended up perishing. Looking forward to the finale next week.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2021 10:34 AM

Jul 2017
bruh why did Fido have to go out like that. I mean, I thought that was weird positioning inserting that bit at the end (especially with how the upbeat music was playing during the depressing moments at the end lmao) but shoulda known it was prime death flag for best robot fido-chan

though funnily enough I actually enjoyed this more atmospheric episode more than some of the preachy ones prior. This one kinda gives off a telltale walking dead feeling in a weird way

real question is how does Raiden now manage to keep his hair up like that
Jun 12, 2021 10:38 AM

Apr 2020
damn.. Fido has seen it all.
Jun 12, 2021 10:40 AM

Jul 2020
It felt really relaxing to watch an 86 episode for the first time in a while.

With the first season nearly coming to an end, it seems that Lena and the 86 wont meetup this season, I'd be really shocked if they were to reunite. Even tho, it feels like the battle is over, it's not really over, since the Legion is still a threat to the 86. I'm curious to see how they will wrap this season up.

Jun 12, 2021 10:44 AM

Sep 2018

Oh my, the heartbreak...

That was a brutal ending

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jun 12, 2021 10:50 AM

Feb 2012
00:00 The atmosphere is just so tranquil and serene.
04:05 These lines hurt so much "the last people left alive" 😭
08:12 They had their childhood robbed, their humanity robbed.
08:41 Also a glimpse of what Giad looks like with the tattered coat of arms bearing the double-headed eagle.
14:00 Shin shoots the 86 brain inside the Löwe. Cut to a shot of an elephant skeleton. His comrades contemplate their destinies. Completely decomposed, an indication of how long it's been...
16:41 Fido's POV. Kurena's infatuation with Shin. Fido flicking the synthetic ration away (vol. 1 ch. 1) was animated.
23:09 Aww Rei, Shin and Annette together. NO WHYYYY???? RIP Fido
Fortress_MaximusJun 12, 2021 5:09 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 12, 2021 10:56 AM
Apr 2016
So, did this episode adapt the epilogue of the 1st volume?

Also, was really the whole world except for the republic destroyed? Or is the situation similar to (heavy spoilers for a famous anime you all probably heard of)
?
JanPriJun 12, 2021 11:29 AM
Jun 12, 2021 11:06 AM

Jan 2021
Phew, I loved the episode. Freedom, something quite subjective in my opinion...

It went by quite quickly. I don't know why but I'm sure there are more survivors in the area where they mentioned 0.0

The scenes from Fido's point of view touched my heart, They made me want to cry again AAAA. R.I.P
I suppose the cruelty of the world will come back (╯︵╰,)
Jun 12, 2021 11:09 AM
Jun 2021
i really liked this episode and very much eagerly waiting to see how this anime ends?
Jun 12, 2021 11:14 AM
Aug 2016
Ah A-1 nails it once again. I've already bought the first 2 volumes. Right now, I am just waiting for the anime to finish so that I can start reading from start of Vol 1.
Wow, so this was an anime original episode. I am really very impressed. The directing, the animation, the OST, literally everything was well done.

Not gonna lie, right now I am enjoying 86 even more than Vivy. Vivy started out strong and is still strong, but 86 started kind of alright, but grew massively story wise, enough to make me buy my first light novel volumes ever.

5/5 episode as usual.
Jun 12, 2021 11:14 AM

Jul 2017
It looks like we're gonna be watching anime-original content for the final 2 episodes, yes. The end of Volume 1 last week was a satisfying end, and the aftermath of the 86-er's warfight in peace-time for the 5 remaining survivors.

The lil' robot watchdog Fido knows what Shin's thinking, given their bonds from the get-go, and the walk around the old Imperial Empire where time stood still from the post-war effects of the Giad Empire's Legion.

For Shin, finally seeing him having a smile on his face and without worry erases all the trauma he's had for the entire series to date. But to turn his tail and run away just like that to find a Legion Shepherd calling for him, there's only one thing to do: send them to Heaven with their death.

Fido's POV when it met Shin for the very first time, and recording through all of the growing-up days of the 86, along with the full song of "Hands Up To The Sky", all seemed fine...until its eventual destruction, which is a total heartbreak. BRUTAL 100%.

Final episode next...
Jun 12, 2021 11:20 AM

Oct 2020
Another really well-directed episode. I really enjoyed seeing the 86's freedom and enjoying ordinary lives. Even with all this happiness, there's still the looming threat of the Legion. The main aspect of this episode was definitely Fido. We got to see the world from Fido's point of view. Fido's memories were truly painful to see. Thank you, Fido.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2021 11:22 AM

Apr 2015
What a bittersweet episode. Still fantastic.

I loved that the remaining spearheads were ale to enjoy a bit of freedom, within limits cause the area still full with Legions. The episode felt really relaxing and chill for most of it, until Shin vanished one morning and found a damaged Legion nearing the group. Was a bit surprising, but since Shin can hear it's voice, it makes sense that this legion had a former 86 brain. Shin put it out of it's misery.

That ending of the episode though. Fido has always been by Shin's side. Experienced everything Shin but also from other members of the 86. I really liked the direction here, with also the view from Fido's camera. But damn, that stings :/ RIP Fido

Final episode next week already, I can't believe it's ending already :(
CeddyyBearrJun 12, 2021 11:26 AM
Jun 12, 2021 11:23 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
JanPri said:
Nah, this episode was almost entirely anime-original. It was basically an expansion of a couple of paragraphs from volume 2. I don't think they'll cover the epilogue of volume 1 in this season. They'll probably leave it for the next season, which would be a better thing to do.
Jun 12, 2021 11:25 AM
Apr 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
JanPri said:
Nah, this episode was almost entirely anime-original. It was basically an expansion of a couple of paragraphs from volume 2. I don't think they'll cover the epilogue of volume 1 in this season. They'll probably leave it for the next season, which would be a better thing to do.
So what is the last episode going to be about? Also anime original?
Jun 12, 2021 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
Relaxing and good episode. Cliffhanger at the end. Can't wait for the next week's episode and it's going to be last episode :(.
Jun 12, 2021 11:29 AM

May 2021
Surprised me. Said good bye last way in a way I interpreted wrong lol. Thought that they would be focusing on Lena and Rita more now. Great episode nonetheless. Looking forward to next week.
AISHITERU...REM!
Jun 12, 2021 11:33 AM
May 2020
JanPri said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

My guess is that they'll cover the last bits of Volume 1 before the epilogue and some of Volume 2 with the ending being
Jun 12, 2021 11:34 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
JanPri said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
If the episode is a direct continuation from the end of this episode, they might adapt a certain battle from volume 2. If not, then they might adapt the very end of chapter 7 from the first volume (since that scene is still unadapted). Or they might end up doing both, lol. There is another scene from volume 2 that they could also adapt for a more cliffhanger ending.
Jun 12, 2021 11:38 AM

Nov 2015
JanPri said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

I think they will at least adapt Epilogue 1. No way they can adapt a full 21 minutes episode with the rest of volume 1 non-epilogue parts, I already wait for 10 episodes so I really hope they adapt Epilogue 1.
Jun 12, 2021 11:42 AM

Dec 2020
I liked it, but it was a little... shallow for me. Beatiful and sad, but not so much happened, episode 9 was better. Still loving this anime
Jun 12, 2021 11:42 AM

Mar 2016
Next episode, I think we’ll go into volume 2 (can’t see them adapting the epilogue) and end on
Jun 12, 2021 11:43 AM

Feb 2021
I wouldn´t ever taught that Fido was going to be an interesting character
Fax:
-My english is bad
-I`m very curious
-Peruvians must die
Jun 12, 2021 11:44 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Ah crap, didn't see that ending coming. Rest in Peace, Fido. Absolutely phenomenal direction by the way, those last 7-8 minutes after Avid was just so sweet and ultimately heartbreaking. Also, it's really cool to see how they've been handling the two ED themes, they really do fit in everywhere.

Things were going too well, how many times do I've fall for episodes like this xD? Got to feel for Shin in particular.

Shin taking out the stranded 86 was quite heavy too. I seriously thought he'd given up everything there. Raiden's reaction to the Legion summed up my feelings perfectly. Man, it sure was nice to see Shin and the group take it easy for a bit. Dat scene of the massive group of Legions crossing the bridge was quite something.

Just one more episode to go now, it's going to be a tough wait until S2 comes around! Apparently, it' going to be Major-centric episode next. Well, I was just starting to get curious so it's perfect lol.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 12, 2021 11:47 AM

Jun 2014
Interesting to hear that this episode was basically anime-original. That's hard to believe, especially since this episode seemed to fit so naturally. It was nice seeing the 86 enjoying relatively carefree, relaxing lives. The end of the episode though......man that was rough. Fido has really seen and been through it all.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 12, 2021 11:51 AM

Jul 2017
Absolutely tremendous stuff from the director and staff for this episode, and continued brilliance with this show. A-1 keeps on nailing the little things well to enhance the overall experience to such a high degree, easily the best adaptation they've ever done. The post-credit sequence of Fido's memories captured through the lens only to build to that cliffhanger was perfection in so many ways. Original stuff can add so much if it makes sense, and it sure did with this episode and show as a whole. So much personality and care with the new content here makes the show feel more engaging and personal than even the LNs so major props to the staff and the director for such smart vision.

Genuinely lifted my mood after I was a bit stressed with the Christian Eriksen news today.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

242 by ILLARX »»
Apr 24, 1:00 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.