Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2020 4:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, it seems anything can happen to just about anyone in this show. That poor mother and the kid. At least they got someone like Makoto on the case.

I gotta say, this episode got a bit emotional at some levels. Makoto has to realize that in this society, you have to expect the unexpected.
Nov 24, 2020 5:32 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really emotional episode, raising a child is sure hard but it's even harder when you're young and poor, great that Makoto and his friends helped this woman to not fall into prostitution and to live a better life, a lot of sensitive but interesting topics in this anime
Nov 24, 2020 5:37 AM

Nov 2019
The kid falling down from the house was a great start and it definitely hooked me immediately

The real world sure is very harsh for single mothers out there. Can't imagine what they must experience every day with their child. Overall a very grounded and actually great single episode arc.

If memory serves me right, it looks like someone from Rent-a-Girlfriend isn't alone being called "Kazuchi" lmao.
Nov 24, 2020 5:39 AM
Oct 2016
This episode made me tear up a bunch at the end. A very sad story about Yui being a single mother. Loved how it showed the neighborhood of Ikebukuro not letting her fall off that cliff. Her and her son Kazushi were good people who just needed some help. I'm glad they Makoto and Kyouichi were there to lend a hand. Those scumbags wanting to use her as a sex worker were the worst of the worst. I thought for a second that Makoto would deck that guy at the bar right there, it'd be hard not to. We almost saw a tragic set of events unfold if not for Makoto, and especially his own mother, interfering. They truly did save the day for Yui and Kazushi. Makes me happy to see them at the end of this episode prospering.
Nov 24, 2020 5:49 AM

Apr 2019
little bit emotional for this episode. Glad Makoto got on the job, was satisfying to see those guys get what they deserved. Luckily it worked out for Yui and her son. Also got to know a little about Kyouchi and Makoto's early life, really good episode.

Nov 24, 2020 6:25 AM

Jul 2017
DANG, Ikebukuro's "Troubleshooter" huh, what a title for Makoto.

A single young 22-year old mother raising a single 3-year old child that fell from a balcony, that's how you start this episode on a downward spiral of fluctuating emotions.

Special survelliance is placed upon Yui and Kazushi, and all for the right reasons, because the sex industry is once again the focal point/spotlight a.k.a good people being used for all the wrong reasons (i.e. prostitution), and now featuring a very young minor. And Makoto being Makoto, using his wide array of contacts to seamlessly eavesdrop into the whole operation, glad that justice is served.

It's hard to live alone with a child that can be easily abandoned, and none other than Makoto's mom knows it all too well being in the same situation, much less bearing the grunt of the blame and debts without a father figure in the family. Kyouichi is one and the same too from foreign land.

If anything, this episode can be considered one of the best episodes in the series (so far).
Nov 24, 2020 6:27 AM

Sep 2019
It was better than the other episodes, but I still didn’t enjoy it much.
Nov 24, 2020 6:55 AM
Apr 2019
Another weekly PSA episode. This is less of gangs and more of a random guy (makoto) doing random things each episode.
Nov 24, 2020 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
she usually does the bare minimum but the more i watch the more Majima’s mom is becoming my favorite especially this week
Nov 24, 2020 7:46 AM
Sep 2015
I've to love "sex industry is still a business" attitude from Makoto. Now I'll invite him to do this "business" with me.
Nov 24, 2020 9:10 AM

May 2020
Interesting chapter, raising a child isn't something easy and is harder when you're alone.

The scene where the kid is saying "isn't your fault, don't cry" is kinda heartbreaking.
Nov 24, 2020 9:17 AM

Apr 2020
We're back in the road of emotions. Right from the bat, a child just fell off 3 storeys...like WTF. And then I found out he survived that, what a start. Kyouichi tasked the "Troubleshooter" to look for the mother of the child which is single. And just like any IWGP episodes, Makoto is off to help the person concerned in their case.

It was really sad on how the mother spiraled down of control. Working overnight and tending to your child's needs on daylight is a life that is not worth it for her status. And because the news of her child went wildfire, the vultures are off to feast on the carcass. It was really funny on how they arrested the Scout, I swear it's been one of the easiest IWGP episode on finishing a conflict.

The son was actually hurt by her mother and Makoto and her cool mom agreed for them to separate ways. Even after sadness, there is a good ending as the mother finally finding a regular job while the kid stays in a child care center along with other daycares like him. Good episode, although not as great as Ep.4
Nov 24, 2020 9:34 AM

Aug 2013
One of the better episodes of the series.

This episode showed how hard the life of a single is. It was sad seeing others trying to take advantage of Yui in getting her into the sex industry. Good thing that bastard got arrested. Good job detective Makoto.

I was surprised to learn a bit about Makoto's past. That surely wasn't an easy decision to make for Makoto's mother.

It was good to see that Yui in the end is actively looking for work.

Nov 24, 2020 1:01 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Single mother and her problem about raising the child, caused such a big information revelations for both Makoto's, and Kyouichi's backstory. I think its nice to see both detail of them, quite entertaining mixed up it with these storyline. Kyouichi surely had a rough life at a strange country, even from his childhood. While Makoto, just being Makoto all the way he came. Its interesting with the cop statement. From Makoto's perspective, its indeed true that her mother was a gem, by not killing him, and decided to gave him into the right place, then keep working until the right time has come. Well, at the end, its good to know them in a better terms again. A troubleshooter was indeed a good name for Makoto. He always getting involved to peoples he believed need to be saved. A fine choice, but its quite naives. Yea, such a naive personality, too shine. I hope something big happened, not just surrounded by a small area called Ikebukuro. However, i doubt its happening, because this show was about Ikebukuro, and Makoto as their central. Okay term.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 24, 2020 1:53 PM

Sep 2020
What a way to start the episode, wow. My face literally turned white when I saw the kid leaning over the balcony's railing, oof. Seems like Kyouichi is a cat person but less of a people person lol. We also learn how bentos are made! Not a good sight, unfortunately. And I definitely did not expect Makoto's mother to get the most character development first out of all the characters in this show. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
Nov 24, 2020 2:36 PM

Apr 2015
Quite the emotional episode.

Can definitely say that Makoto's mum is one awesome lady! Single mum's have it rough as shown in today's episode. Seems Makoto was just as surprised as me when he heard that he was also given up at one point.

Makoto getting this "troubleshooter" title seems quite big, it is very true though!
Nov 24, 2020 2:57 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Really liked this episode because it hit home a bit. My mother also had to "give" my sister and I "away" to our uncle partially due to no money. Likewise, I also relate to Kyouichi in that I think family is really important. Family episodes or stories always makes me cry... It was extremely touching when Kazushi hugged his mother, saying that it's not her fault. I'm glad Yui was able to start turning her life around after Makoto's mother talked to her about what she could do. It was a bit of a shocker to hear that Makoto's mother had to do the same when Makoto was born. Glad Makoto grew up well, haha.

Oh yeah, but Kyouichi can be kind of scary. I thought the OP was just showing a scary Kyouichi for the hype, but him talking about wanting to use a machine gun on those internet users bashing on Yui, whew. But understandable since he grew up fending for himself.

I'm suddenly reminded of Guo from episode 5. I thought they took her in, but I haven't seen her shown up at all :')
Nov 24, 2020 4:29 PM
Aug 2020
I think this anime is good
But the rating doesn't touch 7
Is this underrated?
Sorry for my bad English
Nov 24, 2020 4:35 PM

Jul 2015
Tito_prastomo said:
Is this underrated?
Sorry for my bad English

I believe so i love this anime so much, it's way different than your average anime but i enjoy it. And to respond to your question , yes it is underrated.
Nov 24, 2020 6:04 PM
Nov 2020
This is only 6.54? The world certainly has a questionable taste.
Nov 24, 2020 6:47 PM

Jul 2017
well what seemed like it was just gonna be a search for missing child episode turned out to be a focusing on single mothers struggling one

though props with how in the end, the mother still had to give the child "away" rather than pushing through or whatnot, nice approach.

and for once, just this once I actually felt the same as Makoto this ep. fuk that sex trafficker guy
Nov 24, 2020 6:49 PM

Dec 2019
Tito_prastomo said:
Is this underrated?
Sorry for my bad English
I agree. Definitely underrated and deserves at least a slightly better score
Nov 24, 2020 7:01 PM

Jul 2016
"I barely have time to be with my son but I will go see this stranger dance while I leave my child in probably one of the most dangerous places in the apartment."

So... are we gonna ignore the fact of Yui partially blaming her son for her misfortune and about the fact of her hurting him? And how is she supposed to get him back if the social worker finds out about the bruises?...

Anyways, not as engaging but still better than the previous two episodes. Some rather interesting themes were presented and Makoto's mother showed a side of her character I found really inspiring. Don't expect me to feel sorry for Yui after knowing what she internally thinks of her son tho.
Nov 24, 2020 9:16 PM

Nov 2013
Back again with episodic adventure of Makoto the fruit seller.

It was the best episode by a mile, touching some themes about single parent, sex industry, child abuse and some characterization here and there for Kyouichi and Makoto's mother. It still one episode conclusion nonsense, but at least I'm not bored.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Nov 24, 2020 10:24 PM

Jan 2018
This episode was a nice change of pace for me. I couldn't care less about the gang wars side of things. To me, this episode felt much more grounded in reality, not that there was anything unrealistic in the past episodes. It's just that I found this one much more relatable.
Nov 25, 2020 12:12 AM

Oct 2020
Wow, the way this anime portrays reality is just amazing. It addresses so many issues we tend to overlook in our daily lives and just consider than as just normal negatives of our society. Might be the best episode of the series. Although, I still feel like this anime doesn't really know what it's direction truly is, if you take it episode by episode, it's done a pretty good job so far.
Nov 25, 2020 3:38 AM

Oct 2016
That intro had me shook, they really started it of like that.

Really great episode, definitely one of the best episodes of the series if not the best. Being a single mother is tough, there are things she wants to do but can't because she doesn't have a stable job to support her child. Makoto's mother is definitely one of the cooler characters she's really great. The advice she gave Yui is probably the best for their situation, I mean look at Makoto he grew up to be a great man.

I like that they use this sad version of the ED when the episodes are heavy. I am going to assume that there's gonna be a multi-part episodes again towards the end, looking forward to it.
Nov 25, 2020 7:05 AM

Oct 2017
That was quite depressing but heartwarming too. I'm glad things went well for them.
Nov 25, 2020 7:16 AM

Jun 2020
This was a much better episode. Emotional stuff. That little boy was such a gem!!!! Makoto had a more personal motivation this episode & everything tied together much nicely. The arrest of that guy was rather anti-climatic methinks, pretty badly executed. I feel like this episode tried to send so many messages, it’s OK to be vulnerable & get help, familial love, flawed ideal of a “good” parent, sense of community, support for single parents, and throw in that whopping sex-industry-preys-on-helpless-women erm.........it’s not like arresting that one guy is going to change anything. That fell a little flat.

Also, Makoto the Ikebukuro “troubleshooter” lolololllll

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 25, 2020 9:41 AM
Apr 2020
A kid falling from a building is a bit shocking start. Kyouichi is kind to make that request to Makoto. Good thing Makoto solved the case or Yui will surely fall in the sex industry. But, let's not forget the contribution that Makoto's mom imparted. They may not be the perfect parents, but they are trying their best for the sake of their precious ones.

Nice episode. New ED. Looks like it will be more serious starting next episode.

Nov 25, 2020 11:45 AM

May 2018
Not bad episode. It truly is tough being a single mother after all
Nov 25, 2020 12:30 PM
Jul 2019
Yep, this ep really does touches the issue of single moms in Japan, it also gives us some info about their child services there where it doesn't necessary give an child for adoption unless a parent gives it's consent, in fact there child services can serves as more like a temporary drop up point where they'll take care of a child until a parent is ready enough to care for it.
Nov 25, 2020 2:16 PM

Mar 2015
A quite sentimental episode but damn the upbeat OP coming in right after the child fell was something
Nov 25, 2020 2:50 PM

Apr 2016
Honestly, this one is the first episode I didn’t like at all. It’s not for the content itself but for the way it was presented, it felt shallow fo me.
Nov 25, 2020 5:02 PM
Apr 2015
Anime of the season for me
Nov 25, 2020 9:18 PM

Dec 2013
Quite boring.

I dunno what exactly they do wrong but these SoL stories feel shallow.
The show could focus on gang wars etc. This city stuff ain't the best.

It feels like they open some random story generator and go with lone mother etc.
Nov 26, 2020 3:32 AM

Mar 2016
It was a good episode. I don't know the troubles that a single mother has to go through, but this episode managed to show some of the downsides of being a single mother. It's a good thing Makoto stepped in and it's like they all have a difficult upbringing which, in a sense, unites them all as a family.
Nov 26, 2020 6:23 AM

Oct 2008
well i guess this episode relates to real life huh...sex trafficking targeting single moms huh...
the only thing is the single mom never knew childcare exists...
4/5.

Nov 27, 2020 1:40 PM

Dec 2016
SouthRzVa said:
"I barely have time to be with my son but I will go see this stranger dance while I leave my child in probably one of the most dangerous places in the apartment."

So... are we gonna ignore the fact of Yui partially blaming her son for her misfortune and about the fact of her hurting him? And how is she supposed to get him back if the social worker finds out about the bruises?...

Are you gonna ignore the fact of Yui a few minutes later blame her son for her current situation?

It's her character development, because she in reality don't blame him, she just don't know what to do anymore "She is standing on the edge... more precisely she is already falling", She is blaming herself for thinking that way... also other "background" people don't help her by telling her to "kill her self" or the News calling to her.
We just see her in her lowest point in her life.

Imagine situation in which you are giving 110% but it is still not enough and other people are telling you to "kill yourself", that "you are awful person" and you basically can't show up publicly without being looked with disapproval or disgusted expression. And when you you loosened guard for a moment you f*cked up even more.
Anyone in her situation would have bad/stupid thoughts.
Parents are also humans they also have flaws, can be "stupid" and make mistakes.

Luckily Makoto's mother intervened and explained that Yui's feeling aren't abnormal, that there are other people who feel similarly (like herself when Makoto was born)...
Fortunately, they intervened in time before Yui would do something rather stupid, stupid, really stupid or extremely stupid.

Also remember that she is still 22, she is barely an adult.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Nov 27, 2020 6:56 PM

Oct 2020
Very actual theme in this episode.Young single mother with her child who needs raising is living a hard life.Though there's no things like that near me,I can imagine the tiredness of hers.

New ED is good.
[/url]
Dec 1, 2020 5:52 PM

Mar 2009
This show is so overly dramatic and ridiculous.
Dec 2, 2020 7:12 AM

Jun 2019
it took a while for us to have a great episode in this series, but this one is it.
Dec 8, 2020 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
The past few episodes about the gangs clashing were boring but I like how this anime takes up some real issues every episode.
Jan 28, 2021 2:38 AM
Jan 2020
A very touching and emotional story. At first, I was actually worried about the boy, but he was fine. The mother had to go through so much to protect her child. Makoto as usual helped her out and solved her case. Red angels also played a good role here. A story that I will remember for sure.
Feb 25, 2021 7:41 AM

Jul 2015
Almost got a heartattack seeing that opening scene. Good to see a redhaired gangleader and some fruit vendors were able to help the single mother before something much worse could happen to the kid.

Sep 14, 2021 9:19 PM

Aug 2018
Unkrowned said:
Almost got a heartattack seeing that opening scene. Good to see a redhaired gangleader and some fruit vendors were able to help the single mother before something much worse could happen to the kid.
the MC and another milf oh yea we know where this is going, wait she has a boyfriend that wont stop our hero, pimping aint easy
Guts-ValleySep 14, 2021 9:32 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

37 by Feary7 »»
Dec 24, 2023 9:17 AM

» I've heard the drama is a better adapatation of the novel. Are there any viewers of it out here ?

clomapni - Dec 22, 2020

6 by neonkirsche »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:52 PM

» live action IWGP

removed-user - Dec 8, 2019

17 by mdo7 »»
Nov 7, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Dec 22, 2020

77 by GTPROX01 »»
Oct 12, 2023 4:52 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2020

147 by Rithic »»
Aug 31, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.