Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 6, 2020 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Quite a catchy opening song :o

Makoto is an important main character for his analytical thinking and abilities. I think he's called on for the case because of his skills and honestly, he seems like the type that is careful but also fearless. Helping a girl in a city with gangs and criminals isn't exactly easy. Interesting first episode. They'll probably focus on other characters later on so I'm curious.

Oct 6, 2020 6:19 AM

Apr 2019
pretty good first episode. Kinda reminds me of balance:unlimited. Hope we get more violence and gang warfare instead of just busting dealers who do weed.

Oct 6, 2020 6:21 AM
Oct 2012
again doga kobo make anime other than cute girls doing thing and its packed so good,good OP and great ED,the vibe just like drrr,love it,if they can draw more detail story its maybe become very good anime
Oct 6, 2020 6:22 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty neat premiere episode, best when Doga Kobo does non-CGDCT works that warrant attention (the 2nd of 2 shows). Unfortunately as an anime-only and with no knowledge of the completed 4-volume manga, I can only hope that this will impress.

THE PINBALLS are back with a catchy OP, and what's up with good OSTs this season, the Fall season truly saves the best for the last.

Ikebukuro is pretty much like Kabukichou, just with gangs and outlaws. The main MC Makoto is quite charismatic for his character in separate ties with G-Boys head leader Takashi, he acts on experience and understanding.

Can see this being episodic on a narrative level, and since it's based on a novel, I believe it is articulated as so. And already introducing so much characters, the world-building better be sufficient.
Oct 6, 2020 6:34 AM

Jan 2014
Very catchy opening indeed. Very catchy show in general honestly.
Oct 6, 2020 6:41 AM
Oct 2016
Going in with the other Doga Kobo show of the season and this one being very different from their usual thing. We're far away from moe and cute girls doing cute things. About as far away as you can get with street crews, drugs, and illegal activities. This was a good premiere. Instantly hooked me into seeing more of the G Boys and Makoto working together. Makoto himself is a good dude right off the bat. Relating to the little girl Mion wanting to help her and her mom since he comes from a similar situation. Makoto and Takeshi aka King make a good team. Suppose it helps Makoto to have be friends with the local crew leader. I'm honestly a bit hesitant to call the G Boys a gang since they don't participate in the usual gang related business. In fact I was shocked when Takeshi said that drugs are the enemy of the G Boys. Since most gangs strive off drugs, so I'm just gonna call the G Boys a street crew or a group of hoodlums as I think the show itself said.

Anyways, fun little adventure with Makoto tracking down the people who supplied that junkie we saw drive like a maniac and apparently hurt Mion mom. Looks like that dude took something stronger than just pot though with how he acted. So I'm interested to see where that goes with the bigger group whom supported the shop and looked to be spying on Makoto and Takeshi at the end of the episode. I think it would be the red haired guy spinning around in the opening but we'll see. Fun premiere, liked it a lot and had some good music too.
Oct 6, 2020 6:48 AM
May 2016
Remember kids cops are good and drugs are bad...also it's OK to join a vigilante gang as long as they work with cops and don't do drugs 9_9
Oct 6, 2020 7:09 AM

Jun 2020
Great OP, and ED is decent too. So is this gonna be little adventures like this every episode with a main story running in the background (episodic basically) or what?
This anime shit is addictive
Oct 6, 2020 7:31 AM

Jun 2020
It finally came out, I was waiting for this for a long time. Well, so far it's pretty good. This episode was pretty interesting and it was a good debut. The main characters and the other characters have no specific development so far, but it isn't really significant because there wasn't any big event that contributes to most of the story so far. It started of pretty well and just kept going on, but the way it just ended is too abrupt. It might be episodic and I get it but still, it was kinda abrupt. The pacing was pretty decent as well, just that one abrupt part. Things seems to be interesting, I can't wait for the next episodes. It gives me some Fugou Keiji: Balance Unlimited vibes, I don't know why, but well.

Plus the mc doesn't look like the guy in the poster up on MAL, hmmm...

The OP and ED is pretty good, I was really surprised when I heard the OP, it was actually really cool and catchy.

7.4/10 or just 7/10 so far. Looking forward to it.

Oct 6, 2020 7:37 AM

Oct 2019
It was a good first episode and a nice introduction. Didn't blow me away or anything but looking forward to continuing to watch it. It's looking to me like it will get very good once we dive into the main story and we're just having a get to know the characters and setting couple episodes at the start.
Oct 6, 2020 7:39 AM

Jan 2015
wow that was an absolutely bad episode. Should have made it like an hour long series or something. I might be dropping this if they keep rushing the anime.
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 6, 2020 8:08 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty good first episode. I wasn't planning on watching this but still gave it a go. I'm impressed by this first episode.

The OP was catchy and I love it. The ED isn't that bad.

Oct 6, 2020 8:09 AM

Sep 2019
It looks interesting. The op was good but didn’t like the ed that much. The gang vs drugs concept has potential. I’m looking forward to next episode.
Oct 6, 2020 8:26 AM

Nov 2016
Okayish introduction episode, but I'm curious to see where this will go.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2020 8:31 AM

Sep 2018
For a Doga Kobo show the visuals are an underachievement. Of course the usual big sparkly eyes and vibrant pallette wouldn't really fit the show's vibe, but the art is way too rugged for my taste. I also felt the episode progressed a little unnaturally, but I'll check out a couple more episodes and drop it if it doesn't manage to catch my interest properly by then. Though I'm kind of getting Kabukichō Sherlock vibes which was not my cup of tea.
Oct 6, 2020 8:31 AM
Jul 2014
Acceptable first episode but will need to improve! I’m intrigued enough!
Oct 6, 2020 8:42 AM

Feb 2020
I really like the first Episode.....it was just the beginning tho.......Let's see how the story turns out next episode!!

_f said:
Kinda reminds me of balance:unlimited.

Same!

Diginarcissa said:
I might be dropping this if they keep rushing the anime.

I don't think that was rushed.
That was just the prologue of the Story to introduce us with its Characters!!
The Main story stated in the synopsis will start from the 2nd Episode!
Oct 6, 2020 9:05 AM
Sep 2018
Judging from the first ep, it was just okay. Characters were getting introduced without much explanation of who they were, and the episode was essentially a whole arc which is fine but the ending was very anti-climatic. I do think the story has potential so ill watch episode two next week, but if nothing changes after episode three ill probably have to drop this anime.
Oct 6, 2020 9:05 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty interesting start, I was specially interested in this cause this is far from what Doga Kobo usuallh makes. So kinda excited to see what's waiting for us.
fuckinmyname said:
again doga kobo make anime other than cute girls doing thing and its packed so good,good OP and great ED,the vibe just like drrr,love it,if they can draw more detail story its maybe become very good anime
Eh what? Did u watch the wrong episode or something lol.
Oct 6, 2020 9:23 AM

Apr 2020
That first episode was good. I had to say that opening theme SLAPS. It hits so damn well gotta be my top picks for the season. ED is fine too tho.

Anyways IWGP is one of the animes I've been anticipating the most this year. The atmosphere and the vibe matches my expectations. Doga Kobo did a good job on the art which resembles Sing Yesterday For Me cos obviously its not a lighthearted anime they usually make and are known for. I'm sold on this story and the characters as well. We'll see what more crimes shall they put their nose in the next episode.
Oct 6, 2020 9:25 AM
May 2018
I realy liked it!

But, why is it classified on MAL as romance?
Oct 6, 2020 9:34 AM

Mar 2020
Just want to point this out. The food at the ramen shop looked so delicious. I'm now curious to know what fruit ramen tastes like. Other than the food it was a pretty good first episode. Seems to open up the topic of people on drugs. Opening and ending are fire.

Wanna see where the romance goes!

Good first episode :)
Oct 6, 2020 9:50 AM
Aug 2016
I don't know if it is just me, but the main character comes of like the bad guy here.
hi
Oct 6, 2020 9:54 AM

Nov 2013
not quite durarara vibes..
Oct 6, 2020 10:06 AM

Aug 2008
This is so unimpressive compared to the drama... (which is rare I guess?) This is just a random anime for random people.

I preferred the chaotic crazy King to this bishonen caricature, the oldschool badass mayo-loving Makoto to this fruit-loving average & random hentai main character, the oldschool yellow G-boys to these blue/colorless dollars, the hikikomori friend with legit credentials to hack people to that techno punk right outta berghain pretending to know how to use a computer, the darker & more realistic setting to this lowcost 2000s-ish shonen setting where police is friends with the G-boys, 12-years kids are involved in drugs & arson & heroes are preventing nice & respectable people from smoking weed.

What a let down. I've been waiting for so many years, dammit.
Oct 6, 2020 10:17 AM
Apr 2015
Ginraku said:
This is so unimpressive compared to the drama... (which is rare I guess?) This is just a random anime for random people.

I preferred the chaotic crazy King to this bishonen caricature, the oldschool badass mayo-loving Makoto to this fruit-loving average & random hentai main character, the oldschool yellow G-boys to these blue/colorless dollars, the hikikomori friend with legit credentials to hack people to that techno punk right outta berghain pretending to know how to use a computer, the darker & more realistic setting to this lowcost 2000s-ish shonen setting where police is friends with the G-boys, 12-years kids are involved in drugs & arson & heroes are preventing nice & respectable people from smoking weed.

What a let down. I've been waiting for so many years, dammit.

You should know anime adapt novel
Not drama
Drama is diffrent story
Oct 6, 2020 10:17 AM

Apr 2019
MenchiK1 said:
Remember kids cops are good and drugs are bad...also it's OK to join a vigilante gang as long as they work with cops and don't do drugs 9_9
Yakuza are much better than neo-hippies. Faking evidence to ruin a business is a heroic act. I'm not quite sure I'll like this jingoist vigilante justice nonsense show. Frankly, this was a terrible message, and so far a 1/10.

Remember: "Smoking kills", Yakuza doesn't ...

Oct 6, 2020 10:36 AM
Apr 2020
First episode is so good! OPED are both bop! This is kinda like Millionaire Detective but in a gang setting, and they're solving problems using people's abilities and not relying on AI.

Makoto is either really famous in Ikebukuro area or he just happen to know certain influential people.

King Takashi is so cool!

They planted evidence but the drug delears were captured so good job. But, the tables have turned, they're now being tailed. So interesting!

But, why is this tagged as romance?

Ao_SkyOct 6, 2020 10:43 AM
Oct 6, 2020 10:39 AM

Feb 2018
Poor man's Durarara.
Below-average visuals, meh direction, dull characters and seiyuu = boredom. Drop.
Oct 6, 2020 10:43 AM

Aug 2008
TGAvi said:

Not drama
Drama is diffrent story

You obviously haven't read the novel, you haven't watched the drama either, or else you'd probably know the drama is way closer to the novel than this crappy freestyle anime "adaptation". You probably just read some obvious bullshit article on the net about how the original is a novel and not the drama, and you thought your understanding of it relevant enough to point this out to me twice in a week... what useless purpose do you serve?
Oct 6, 2020 10:50 AM
Aug 2019
I really liked the first episode also the mc, Makoto he sure is charismatic really like him. That op is really catchy.

Oct 6, 2020 10:53 AM

Jan 2008
I quite enjoyed that. Not as enthralling as some of the other Fall first episodes I've seen but I'm curious to see where this goes.

Loved the OP though
Oct 6, 2020 11:06 AM
Apr 2015
Ginraku said:
TGAvi said:

Not drama
Drama is diffrent story

You obviously haven't read the novel, you haven't watched the drama either, or else you'd probably know the drama is way closer to the novel than this crappy freestyle anime "adaptation". You probably just read some obvious bullshit article on the net about how the original is a novel and not the drama, and you thought your understanding of it relevant enough to point this out to me twice in a week... what useless purpose do you serve?

I watched drama LOL
But really when drama air the novel was had just two volumes
drama do much changes of novel

Sorry my bad english
Oct 6, 2020 11:08 AM
Sep 2015
I actually love how peaceful this anime is, I just want to peacefully shipping men together!
Oct 6, 2020 11:13 AM

Oct 2018
has a banana fish vibe.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Oct 6, 2020 11:28 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I can see this getting better, and i know its more of a prologue or something but that first episode was just... fine.

That OP is fire tho, most likely my favorite this season.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 6, 2020 11:35 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty good first episode, this. Not going to lie though, I was expecting Durarara!! level quality too but this is right up my alley as well so I can live with it.

Main character certainly has quite the number of connections left and right, I must say lol. Definitely was interesting to watch how he handled things “in his own way” here.

G-Boys, that’s some gang, damn. Uchiyama Kouki-san playing the boss role is a really good pick as well, I reckon.

Interesting to see that someone is trailing Makoto and co. though, looks like things will be spicing up soon.

Op and ED were very fitting for the show and were a pleasure to keep up with therefore. I wonder if we’ll be seeing the little chibi-suke again, I quite enjoyed the dynamic between her and Makoto honestly.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 6, 2020 11:59 AM

Aug 2016
boring and uninspired opening
:v
Oct 6, 2020 12:01 PM

Aug 2013
Nah. Completely not my cup of tea.
Didn't expect something like this from Doga Kobo.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 6, 2020 12:22 PM

Feb 2014
This man really just tried infiltrating an undercover weed shop wearing a shirt that says "smoking kills"
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Oct 6, 2020 12:22 PM

Jan 2020
this is underrated
Oct 6, 2020 12:27 PM

Mar 2018
The story was messy, the visuals were bland, the exposition was poorly handled and the characters are as interesting as the paper they were drawn on. Overall a disappointing start. What a shame!
SkarvalinOct 6, 2020 12:32 PM
Oct 6, 2020 12:32 PM

Apr 2020
! finally. i was so happy to hear that this anime is coming out. :D my god. i have read the first volume of manga and watched the live action series ages ago. :D and i dont remember much from it tbh (sorry im old xD) all i know is i loved it.
and i love this in anime version as well. :D So i am pleased with this first episode. And i am looking forward for next ones.
:D
The OP and ending arent super wow to me (i am picky tho). i mean it isnt bad. it just isnt my up of tea. :P sorry to all the fans x).
LimiosaOct 6, 2020 12:35 PM
Oct 6, 2020 12:49 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting setting overall, curious to see where this might go. This is once again something completely different from studio Doga Kobo. I am intrigued.
Oct 6, 2020 12:50 PM

Jul 2017
I rate Doga Kobo trying something so completely different from their established brand and identity, but this anime adaptation feels really cheap, underwhelming and sluggish to get through. The premise was sort of interesting to grab my attention but none of that has translated to this episode. Disappointed massively.
Oct 6, 2020 12:55 PM

Jan 2008
The girl throwing the jar really annoyed me. That's definitely not something any one would do because they got startled from being told they're not allowed in the shop.

While it's nice to see a gang related anime that isn't full of superpower nonsense, these kind of shows aren't really up my alley and only really tried it because Doga Kobo.
Oct 6, 2020 1:49 PM

Aug 2016
I love how they literally use a whole ass gang to hunt down one addict at the start of this episode, as if that would be cool or useful at all. And then how the rest of it is basically just "WEED IS THE DEVIL'S CREATION", honestly got "Reefers Madness" vibes from this. Like according to this show, organized crime groups, arson, and hacking are all better than selling weed, and that's fucking hilarious to me. Overall I'd say the story here hasn't aged well but it's pretty funny to watch a show get this serious and dramatic over weed. (Also before anyone tries to say I'm a pothead, I don't smoke weed)
Oct 6, 2020 2:03 PM
Jul 2019
That was super underwhelming. What kind of punks team up with police? Why are they treating marijuana like a dangerous narcotic? Why are you letting an elementary school kid tag along? Was this written by a DARE officer?
Oct 6, 2020 2:05 PM

Aug 2016
So-so first episode, small vibes of Durarara meets Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. Could become good or stay mediocre.

inim said:
MenchiK1 said:
Yakuza are much better than neo-hippies. Faking evidence to ruin a business is a heroic act. I'm not quite sure I'll like this jingoist vigilante justice nonsense show. Frankly, this was a terrible message, and so far a 1/10.

Remember: "Smoking kills", Yakuza doesn't ...

I mean the business was making legal but highly dangerous drugs.
I'm pretty sure they were suppose to be selling spice (synthetic marijuana, but with very nasty side effects) which Japan had a massive issue with a few years ago.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Oct 6, 2020 2:18 PM

Sep 2013
Absolutely disappointed

I don't really know if this is like the manga,welp i sure as hope it would be like the drama,the 2000s gang hip hop flipphone vibe is totally gone,the chara design and the characters are so boring especially King wtf,he's not the silly but don't fuck with me kind of character like in the drama(almost Majima tier) ,Makoto doesn't have that daredevil attitude he had in the drama and overall this felt just so bland and boring,an absolute snorefest

I won't even give a chance to the other episodes,its maybe more close to the manga but it sure is boring.

Deep dark fantasies
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

37 by Feary7 »»
Dec 24, 2023 9:17 AM

» I've heard the drama is a better adapatation of the novel. Are there any viewers of it out here ?

clomapni - Dec 22, 2020

6 by neonkirsche »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:52 PM

» live action IWGP

removed-user - Dec 8, 2019

17 by mdo7 »»
Nov 7, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Dec 22, 2020

77 by GTPROX01 »»
Oct 12, 2023 4:52 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2020

51 by senekohan »»
Aug 28, 2023 10:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.